The Great Pretender

Author/psuedonym: Patt

Email: PattRose1@aol.com

Pairing: J/B

Rating: R

Category: drama/humor

Date: September 24, 2003

Status: new

Archive: You know it.

Dreaming of Sentinels: http://patt_rose0.tripod.com/dreamingofsentinels

Disclaimer: Disclaimer: Petfly still owns these boys. But I own their bodies. And what fine bodies they are. So there, Petfly. I make no money from this.

Notes: Block is still here.

More notes: This one is very sweet and cute.

Warning: m/m bad language. No beta.

Summary: Jim overhears Blair telling a lie about them and this is what happens.


The Great Pretender
By Patt

Jim walked into the bullpen and overheard his partner telling Rafe he was sleeping with Jim. Jim was in shock. Blair and Jim were not sleeping together and Jim wasn't sure he appreciated Blair saying this to a co-worker.

Blair's Thoughts:

// Oh yes I'm the great pretender
Pretending I'm doing well
My need is such I pretend too much
I'm lonely but no one can tell //

// Oh yes I'm the great pretender
Adrift in a world of my own
I play the game but to my real shame
You've left me to dream all alone //

Jim walked into the room and said, "Sandburg, can I see you for a moment?"

"Sure, Jim. Where?"

"Interrogation room 2 is empty." Jim pushed Blair into the room and slammed the door.

"What is your fucking problem?" Blair folded his arms over his chest, looking all put out.

"Why did you tell him that?"

"Who? What?" Blair was confused.

"You told Rafe we were sleeping together. Why would you say that?"

"It was just one tiny little fib...Okay a lie...a big fat lie, but..." Blair began.

"But what?"

"Well I knew that he wouldn't bother me if he thought I was yours." Blair admitted.

"Rafe has been bothering you?" Jim was shocked again.

"Just keeps asking me out and won't take no for an answer."

"Tell him you don't do men." Jim suggested.

"That would be a lie, Jim. I like men. I like men a lot. But I have someone I want to ask out."

"So ask him out and stop the fucking lies." Jim growled.

"I'm so sorry that I embarrassed you." Blair stormed out of the room followed by one very angry Sentinel.

"You're the one that lied. Why are you pissed off?" Jim asked quietly near their desks.

"Because I thought if you were my friend, you wouldn't mind. I'm sorry. I'll go and tell Rafe now." Blair got up and Jim said, "It's all over the station already."

"You're shitting me. God, I'm like so sorry, man."

"Well life goes on." Jim started typing and Blair just watched him.

As soon as Rafe walked in the room Blair marched over and said, "You prick. You told people that Jim was fucking me? How dare you. I thought it was between you and me. And most importantly I'm sleeping with him. I just used him to make you leave me alone. Now he has to deal with this shit all the time. I hate you so much Rafe, you'll never know."

"You're the one that lied. So get a grip, Sandburg. Be pissed off at yourself. You can always go downstairs and tell everyone that you lied."

"No, I'm going downstairs and telling everyone that you wanted my ass so bad that I had to finally lie about me and Jim." Blair headed for the elevator with Rafe following close behind.

Jim couldn't help it; he was smiling now. He had to give it to him. Blair was like one of those little yapping dogs. They could drive you nuts, or they could be the sweetest little pets in the world. Actually, that was a nice thought, Blair yapping and climbing in his lap. // Oh shit. Now I'm thinking about it. Keep telling yourself that you didn't think about it before, moron. //

Jim's Thoughts:

// Too real is this feeling of make believe
Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal //

// Ooh Ooh yes I'm the great pretender
Just laughing and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I'm not (you see)
I'm wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that you're still around //

Rafe walked up to Ellison's desk, an hour later and said, "You're partner is an asshole."

"Why yes, he is."

"I'm not joking. He told everyone downstairs what happened and now they're all making fun of me." Rafe was pouting well.

Jim smiled and said, "So it was fine when they were making fun of Blair? But not you?"

"Exactly. Rafe almost shouted.

"Fuck off, Rafe." Blair yelled as he got close to them.

"You little prick." Rafe snarled.

"He's not little." Jim said quietly.

Both Blair and Rafe turned towards him with their mouths open.

"Better shut those traps before you catch too many flies." Jim teased.

"I fucking knew it. You are sleeping with him." Rafe shouted.

Simon walked over and said, "Did you want everyone to hear that Rafe? Because they just did."

"He knows how big Sandburg is, so I know he's sleeping with him now." Rafe said snidely.

"Rafe, I hate to burst your bubble, but I can tell you how big he is." Simon said.

"You're sleeping with him?"

"No. I saw him in the showers the other day. I'm sure Jim did too. Now would you like to get back to work?" Simon walked back into his office and slammed the door.

Blair sat at his desk and stared at Jim. Jim smiled back at him and said, "It's okay Chief. I did see you the other day. And you don't have a little prick. I couldn't have him saying that."

Blair had to think more on this before he said anything. Instead he thought of that dumb song again. He couldn't keep it out of his mind.

Blair's Thoughts

// Oh yes I'm the great pretender
Just laughing and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I'm not you see
I'm wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that you're
Pretending that you're still around //

He wasn't going to pretend anymore. Blair rolled his chair closer to Jim and whispered, "Jim would you like to go on a date with me?"

"Yeah, that would be nice. Where to?"

"Saccony's. That's our place. Tonight?" Blair looked up and saw the smile reaching Jim's eyes.

"Tonight's perfect. Thank you. Now let's get our work done so we don't draw too much attention to ourselves."

"No lie. I just got it all worked out in the rumor mill and now I have to go down and tell them we're dating." Blair teased.

"You don't and you won't." Jim growled.

"Okay. I have to go to work. See you at the loft tonight. I'm working with the moron on a case." Blair went off to work with his enemy for the day. Jim laughed at their bickering all the way down
the elevator.

Jim was never so happy about anything in his life. They would not be pretenders ever again.

End: The Great Pretenders.

Queen The Great Pretender lyrics
Words and music by Buck Ram

Oh yes I'm the great pretender
Pretending I'm doing well
My need is such I pretend too much
I'm lonely but no one can tell

Oh yes I'm the great pretender
Adrift in a world of my own
I play the game but to my real shame
You've left me to dream all alone

Too real is this feeling of make believe
Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal

Ooh Ooh yes I'm the great pretender
Just laughing and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I'm not (you see)
I'm wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that you're still around

Yeah ooh hoo
Too real when I feel what my heart can't conceal

Oh yes I'm the great pretender
Just laughing and gay like a clown
I seem to be what I'm not you see
I'm wearing my heart like a crown
Pretending that you're
Pretending that you're still around

END