Title: A Sentinelized Joke: Doctor's Exam

Author: Scribe

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: NA

Rating: R

Summary: This is a Sentinelization of a joke that I saw today on Are You Being Served? I substituted Jim for Mrs. Slocum. Yeah... a bit of a change.

Archive: Mailing Lists and WWOMB

Feedback: poet77665@catlover.com

Status: Finished

Sequel/Series:

Disclaimer: I did not create the characters here, I don't own them. I derive no profit from this effort. I mean nothing but respect for the creators, owners, and the actors and actresses who portray them.

Websites: http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/scribescribbles and http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/foxluver

Notes: This takes place pre-Blair, and supposes that the time they met wasn't the FIRST time Jim had tried to figure out what was going on with his senses.



A Sentinelized Joke: Doctor's Exam
By Scribe


"Jim, look, you can't go on like this. This problem with your senses is starting to affect your work."

"I know, Simon, I know--but I have no idea what the problem might be."

"Well, damn it, get some professional help!"

"My doctor doesn't know..."

"He's a general practitioner. I want you to go to Cascade Hospital and see a SPECIALIST."

"What kind of a specialist would you suggest?"

"GO!"

"Okay, okay."

Jim went.

Very late that afternoon, near quitting time, Simon went back into the Bull Pen. Jim was sitting at his desk, a stunned look on his face, jaw slack. A little apprehensive, Simon said, "Did you go to the hospital, like I told you?"

"Yeah."

"Did you find out what's wrong?"

"Noooot exactly."

"Jim!"

"It seems like everyone goes there on their lunch hour. If you don't have an appointment, and you aren't in dire distress, you have to wait. So I waited--and waited--and waited--hours. Finally they told me that I MIGHT get to see a doctor, but I'd have to speak to a physician's assistant for preliminary examination. By then I didn't care WHO I saw, so I said fine. They showed me back to an examination room and the nurse took the basics--temp, BP, you know, and told me the assistant would be there shortly to examine me."

Jim stopped speaking, going quiet. "And?" Simon prodded him.

Jim sighed. "You've been in the military, Simon--you know how ex-military think about doctor exams, right? I decided to get ready and save some time. I stripped off, then laid down on the examining table and waited."

Jim stopped speaking again. Simon helped him along. "The assistant came in, and...?"

"Well, my regular doctor is kind of old. This was a very young guy in a white smock. He just sort of stared at me for a minute, and I got impatient. I said, "Come on! Examine me."

Pause. "Did he?"

Jim nodded, expression even more dazed. "He did. Head to toe, top to bottom..." Jim frowned. "Come to think of it, he said something about tops and bottoms, but I'm not sure exactly what. BOY, was he thorough."

"What did he diagnose?"

"I never found out. Before he said, his foreman came in and told him to get back to his painting."



The End.