Remember Me This Way

By Ashley

::sigh:: This is my first finished piece of work. I sat myself down for an hour and forced myself to finish one of these drabbles for once in my life. Mind you I don't get anything beta read (yet at least), this came from the mind of a 17 year old, I stink at spelling and everything else, and this is only for fun! Feedback good or bad (hopefully good! :) is welcomed at LyraM45@aol.com. 

RATING: PG-13, Mild Violence/Death.

ARCHIVE: Yes please! :)

 

Remember Me This Way

By Ashley

Nothing ever has meaning. Nothing. Though captain Simon Banks as he to somehow wake up from this horrid dream. Blair wasn’t just an observer, he really was one of his men, just as much as any detective or blue coat. Simon buried his head in his hands. How the hell did this happen? Jim was left with a gun shot wound to his right shoulder and leg, and was still under anestesia in recovery, but Blair....oh God, Blair. How was he ever going to tell Jim? Simon sat and pondered the events that took place earlier.....

******************

Blair walked happily through the bullpen to his partner, his friend, his Sentinel’s desk. "Heya big guy!" Jim’s eyes peered up from his papers work to reveal Sandburg sitting at his desk. "Well, don’t you seem mighty chipper today?"

"Nah, man. I just had a good day at the U. So, what’s up here?"

"Ah, nothing much really. Just finishing up some paperwork that I have been trying to get caught up on all day." Jim directed his gaze towards the opening door to Simons office. "Jim! Brown just radioed in. Your drug smugglers are on the move and they requested your backup at the warehouse. You and Sandburg get moving, I’ll be by with a squad car in a bit."

******************

That was the last time I saw him alive. Why did I make them go out for the call? Simon stared blankly at the wall adjacent from him. He rubbed his moist eyes one more time of a hundred. "Dear Lord," Simon rasped between sobs....

******************

"Brown, this is Ellison. We’re on the southside of the warehouse. What’s your position?" Jim let the button go to hear static, then Brown’s voice. "Ryfe and I are on the Northside. We’re ready when you are." Jim and Blair took position behind an abandoned car. Jim put an ear to the warehouse.

* "We have to get moving now! Come on! Come on!" *

* "Are they meeting us at the boat launch as planned?" *

* "Yes, now move it!" *

"Well, what’d ya hear man?" Questioned Blair. They’re redeviouing at the boat launch over there. Jim picked up the hand radion again. "Brown, hold your position. They’re coming out Southside towards the boat launch." The first man exited the ware house doned in a overcoat and gloves carrying what looked like a suitcase filled with drugs. Another man followed close in step. Jim stepped out from the protection of the abandoned vehicle. "Freeze," screamed Jim, "this is the Cascade Police Department. Drop the suitcase and show me your hands, NOW!" Jim inched his way out further to the two men. "That’s it, nice and slow."

Blair stayed back behind the protection of the vehicle like he was told. A step in the brush behind him got his attention, but oddly enough, not the Sentinels. "Oh my God, Jim look out!!" Jim, focused on the two armed men in front of him, but was oblivious to the gunman in the brush behind him. "Jiiiiiiimmmm!!" It was almost in slow motion as Blair lunged and caught the bullet that was ment for the Sentinel. More shots. Brown and Ryfe appeared from the north side, taking out all three gunmen, but not after what already was too late.

"Central, Central. This is Brown. Shots fired, officers down, officers down!" *He said officers.....He, he...he called me an officer.* Though Blair. Jim groped his thigh in pain. "AArrgg." He let out in a painful sigh. "Hey Sandburg....Sandburg?" Jim flipped himself over to see Ryfe and Brown running for the most horrid sight he had seen in his life. Blair lie flat on the moist cascade ground, blood bubbling from his mouth with every short, raspy breath. Blair fingered the hole in his chest. "Jim.." It escaped the young mans lips only loud enough for Sentinel ears. "Oh my God, Blair. Don’t try to talk...ssshhhhh." Blood gurggled from the cracks of his mouth and down his 5 o’clock shadow covered cheeks. "WE NEED HELP OVER HERE!!!" Screamed and pleaded a distressed Sentinel. Jim heard the ambulaunces and squard cars in the distance. "Hang on Blair. You hear me?! Hang on Blair...Just hang on...please............"

*******************

A nice department funeral was being set up for Blair. Afterall, he was as much a cop as anybody on the force, even if he didn’t have the badge to prove it. Four days soaked by, four days, and Jim still won’t come out of his zone. As soon as he was coherant to hear the news, Simon broke it to him. How do you tell somebody that their best friend in the entire world just died saving your life? Jim has just stared at the wall since, and the only man that knows how to bring him out of it is not alive anymore. What the hell am I going to do? Though Simon on his way to the hospital to see Jim again as he has been doing every morning all week. Simon always listened to light mood music in the car, especially now. A song began to play that caught his attention and reminded him of the guys.

Every now and then, we find a special friend,

who never lets us down.

Who understands it all, reaches out each time we fall.

Your the best friend that I’ve found.

I know you can’t stay, but part of you will never ever go away,

your heart will stay.

I’ll make a wish for you, and hope it will come true,

that life can just be kind, for such a gentle mind.

If you lose your way, think back on yesterday.

Remember me this way, remember me this way.

Simon turned down the radio while pulling into the hospital, that was all he needed to hear for now.

A nurse waved to him while walking through the corridor labled "ICU" in red letters. He crossed the threshhold into Jim’s room where he still stared blankly out into space. "Heya Jim. I brough some coffee over for you and a bagal from the guys. They said your probably going through withdrawl from our great stuff we got over there that you eat everyday." Simon sat the edibles down on the night stand next to his most decorated officer. Still no response. "Listen...Jim. You have to snap out of this, you have to. Would Sandburg want you to do this, huh? We need you Jim. I need you, Rhonda needs you, Brown, Ryfe, Taggart, hell, we all need you buddy........" Simons words were drowned out as Jim was lost in his world.

"Lydia Claire peered around her hospital curtain to see if the coast was clear. She was recooperating from a heart transplant three days ago, but she was 16 and already well quick enough to get out of bed and venture to the bathroom. That is, without getting caught. She peered down the hallway, looking for nurse hell-lady, as she like to refer to her as. The coast was clear and she started her voyage to the bathroom. A conversation from a room adjacent to her caught her ears. "Jim, please, you have to pull out of this....." Lydia stopped and listened. Something drove her to enter the room......

Jim cocked his head. A familiar heartbeat. Blair? Lydia carried her IV stand behind her as she entered the room. She stood next to the blankly gazed Sentinel. "Listen to the sound of my voice Jim," Lydia continued, "just listen to me and work your way back to my voice, Jim. That’s it. Now pictured the dials and turn them down. That’s it." The Sentinels gazed directed to the tall blonde young girl standing in front of him donned in a white hospital gown. It was the first time his eyes moved in days. Simon sat speechless. Lydia spun on her heels to look at the footsteps coming through the room that belongs to her nurse.

"Lydia! What are you doing. You better get back to your bed right this instant young lady!" The red headed nurse scooped the girl by the shoulders and began to lead her back to her room. "Wait a second miss! Wait!" Simon Banks bekoned at the exiting nurse and lifesaver. "Lydia...how did you know to do that, and how did you do it??"

"That heartbeat...." spoke Jim for the first time in four days. "That heartbeat is Blair’s, Simon."

"I dunno how I did that Mister," replied Lydia. "I dunno...I just....I just kinda knew. It’s weird and hard to explain." "Did you just have a heart transplant Lydia?" Questioned Simon.

"Well, yeah. How’d ya know Mister?" Simon shot a look at the smiling Jim Ellison. Blair rose to the occasion again, this time through a little girl that got his heart through a transplant. "Thank you," whispered Jim to himself, "Thank you."

FINIS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feedback? please send to LyraM45@aol.com. Thanks a bunch!