Title: Rafe’s talent

Author: Angela

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: Simon/Rafe, Jim/Blair (implied)

Rating: PG

Status: Complete

Archive: Yes please

Feedback: Yes

Email Address:
ladybug74873@hotmail.com

Series/Sequel: if you want any

Disclaimers: They aren’t mine. Petfly and UPN own them

Summary: Rafe is in a talent show and amazes everyone with his ability

Warnings: none that I know of

Notes: Thanks to Scribe for the idea. I really appreciated it. I hope ya’ll like it.

The Cascade Police Department talent show was off to a good start. All the proceeds that the show would get were going to some of its favorite police charities. All of the participants were ready to go with exception of Detective Brian Rafe. Rafe looked around at his fellow officers and smiles that secret smile that Simon Banks was so in love with. All his life everyone had said he had not talent so when this chance came up the handsome detective decided to take a chance. He laughed and shook his head. The young man was thinking of what the Captain of Major Crimes had told the bullpen a few weeks ago about the talent show.

 

Rafe’s Talent
by Angela

Captain Simon Banks walked into his office shaking his head in amazement. The Chief of Police had told him that there was going to be a talent show held in six weeks and that the proceeds were to go to police charities. Banks knew that his crew was going to grumble about having to be in the show. So the captain had to come up with some way to get his officers to do this talent show without a lot of grumbling and groaning. And the person who was going to help him had just bounced in and up to his partner.

"Sandburg, my office NOW!" The big police office bellowed.

Blair’s head shot up at the bellow. Jim gave him a what did you do now look and then sent him off to his death. Banks smiled at the now and newest police detective. It was that smile that Rafe told him he could get anyone to do anything with. At that thought Simon’s body responded. Not a good time for that to happen seeing as how Blair was standing in front of him with eyebrow raised and blue eyes twinkling.

"Cut it out, Sandburg."

The Guide just chuckled and waited on his captain to tell him what he wanted. Oh he hoped his Sentinel was listening in because he didn’t like the gleam in Simon’s eyes. The gleam was directed at him as well as that smile that went along with it.

"Detective, I need your help. Before you say anything let me tell you what it is. The Chief wants to have a talent show and everyone has to participate especially Major Crimes. I need your help in getting these people to be in the show. You think you are up to the mission." Simon said in one breath.

"Sure, what do I have to do." His detective agreed.

Simon was surprised at that. He thought that the young detective would refuse on principle at the very least. When the Chief had told him about this he had thought of Rafe immediately. Rafe had a talent that needed to be showcased and the big captain was going help the young man show off. And he wanted to show his lover that everyone was proud of him and would be whatever he did. Simon looked sharply at Blair as if the younger man had hit the nail right on the head when he mentioned Rafe and his ever impressive talent. Banks didn’t know that the kid knew anything about Rafe and what and who he was or about. But it shouldn’t have surprised him it seemed Blair knew everything about everybody.

After gathering his officers, Simon and Blair appeared before them to make their announcement. It didn’t go well. When everyone found out that the announcement was a talent show there were shouts of No way! Or I don’t think so! And then Brian Rafe had to laugh. His lover had a look of pure disbelief on his face. His plan hadn’t worked. Now came Plan B and Rafe knew what it was. Banks ordered everybody to be in the talent show. More grumblings and then the captain dismissed everyone. He motioned for Rafe to come into his office.

"Detective."

"Sir"

Rafe pondered the look on Simon’s face. It was one of love and pride. Something was up with the big man and the handsome detective was getting suspicious. He eyed his lover and then flashed his most winning smile at him which seemed to not work. And then Simon cocked his head at him and laughed.

"Rafe, Brian." Simon started. "I want you to show off that impressive talent of yours. Pick a few things and I will help you with them."

"Ok." Rafe responded. "I guess that means I can’t do blowjobs as my talent."

Simon spit out the coffee he had just taken a sip of when Rafe had responded to his request. He looked at the handsome young man and just had to smile. Both men laughed and the older man motioned the younger one out of the room. All of Major Crimes looked at him as he came out of the office. They had heard the laughter and wondered what had gotten their gruff captain in a
good mood or who had.

For the next six weeks Simon and Rafe had worked on Rafe’s talent. They spent every spare moment they could working on what Rafe was going to do and wear. They would work in the shower, at breakfast, dinner, and even when they tried to work out. Simon was proud of his beloved. Rafe beamed every time that his lover complimented him. It meant a lot to the young man. No one had even given him a time of day when it came to his talent.

As the day for the talent show fast approached Rafe got even more nervous. He hoped no
one would ridicule him or laugh. Simon reassured him. The captain kept telling him every one of his friends would be proud.

***

Now that day was here and Rafe was getting nervous. A hand appeared on his shoulder. He didn’t have to turn around to see who it was. Simon rubbed the younger man’s shoulders and said comforting words to him. Rafe smiled up at his lover who just beamed with pride up at him.

"It will be ok. You’ll do good." Simon whispered.

Simon smiled and walked off as Rafe’s name was being called. The young man walked out on the stage and looked out into the audience. He could see all his friends and hoped that they would be understanding and proud of him. The music started and Rafe sang the operetta he had been preparing for the last six weeks. He had the most amazing and beautiful voice that anyone had ever heard. The Major Crimes detective just sang with everything that he could give. At the end of the song Rafe bowed and walked off stage. Simon gathered him in his arms and hugged him close. The handsome man had to go back on stage for several ovations before everyone would settle down. Everything turned out all right for one Brian Rafe.

This amazing detective had great friends, a great lover, and a talent that would last him a lifetime. Rafe’s singing talent impressed so many that he was asked to sing in other shows, weddings and even Jim and Blair’s commitment ceremony. Brian was a happy man. Nobody had laughed and all his friends had encouraged him to go for his dream. Rafe had always dreamed of becoming a great singer someday.


The end.