Title:Out of the Shadows

Author/pseudonym: Fluffy Rabbit

Fandom: Sentinel, Joe/OFC, Jim/OFC Blair/OFC

Rating: 13

Status: New

Archive: To WWOMB

Other websites: http://moodyblushr.us/schmidt

Email address for feedback: kevin schmidt@ntlworld.com

Series/Sequel:

Other websites: No

Disclaimers: The Sentinel guys belong to Petfly, the rest are mine.

Warnings: AU, language

Notes: Betaed by me.

Summary:

 

Out of the Shadows
By Fluffy Rabbit

If his mom was going to move to Cascade permanently then she needed to make friends, Henri thought, which was why he'd arranged for her to go shopping with Brian's mom this afternoon. Admittedly, he'd only met his friend's mom once but she had seemed like a nice person and he was pretty sure that she and his mom would have a lot in common. He'd even bought his mom something new to go shopping in, something that he wouldn't be seen out in public with her when she was wearing it.

"Mom, I bought you a present," he said.

"Honey bear, there's no need for you to waste your money on me," Anne said.

"Think of it as a really late mother's day gift," he said, handing her the box that he was holding.
"I'm sure that I'll like it," she said, opening the box. "It's grey," she added when she saw the colour of the contents.

"It's more beige than grey," Henri said.

"I'm sure that it'll look perfect on me," Anne said, taking the dress out of it's box.

"I know that it's not what you'd normally wear," Henri said, "but I thought that I could wear it when you go shopping with Brian's mom."

"And when am I supposed to be doing that?" she asked, putting the dress back into it's box.

"This afternoon," he replied, "you're not busy, are you?"

"No," she replied, "and I'm sure that I'll get on just fine with Brian's mom."

"The two of you are going to get on like a house on fire," he grinned. Brian's mom might even be able to do something about the way that his mom dressed, because as much as he loved her there were times when she really embarrassed him. She didn't seem to realise that she wasn't young anymore and had to start dressing her age.

"I've to go out for a little while," Anne said, putting the box on the coffee table, "but don't worry I'll be back by twelve."

"Where are you going?" Henri asked.

"I have something that needs finishing off at the station," she replied.

"Are you going out dressed like that?" he asked.

"I'm not going to be long," she said, "and there is nothing wrong with the way that I'm dressed."

There were several vacancies that in his opinion would be perfect for Anne, Joel thought, but she hadn't said for certain that she would be moving to Cascade on a permanent basis. He assumed that she would be though, because this was where he and Henri lived. It was something that they were going to have to talk about, not that they'd had much chance to be alone since she'd come to Cascade. Henri always seemed to be there wanting attention from her, taking her places that he had wanted them to go as a couple. He could understand Henri wanting to spend time with his mother, because he hadn't been able to for the past year, but then he hadn't spent any time with Anne either. Perhaps Henri wasn't ready to accept the fact that he and Anne were going to get married, he was probably more than a little worried that Anne wouldn't always be there for him like she had been in the past.

However, it was time that Henri realise that Anne's world didn't revolve around him alone. He had been more than a little surprised to discover that Anne hadn't dated anyone since Henri's birth, but he admired that fact that she hadn't exposed herself and her son to a series of men who might have treated them badly. Now he knew the real reason why she hadn't dated, and he couldn't even begin to imagine how much courage it must have taken her to have dinner with him that first time, let alone tell him recently the basic story of how she had become pregnant with Henri. Anne hadn't told him who Henri's father was, but god help the man if he ever found out who he was.

 

She was never going to be able to wear that dress, Anne thought, entering the Bullpen. To begin with it was grey, a colour that she had vowed never to wear after being forced to wear it most of the time while growing up, secondly, it was precisely the sort of dress that her mother would wear. There was no way in hell that she was going to turn into her mother, she would rather shoot herself before letting that happen. Henri was going to be disappointed and more than a little upset that she wasn't going to wear that dress, but hopefully he would have kept the receipt and could return it to the store that he had bought it from. As far as she could see there was nothing wrong with the way that she dressed, Joel had certainly never complained about anything that she wore. Her clothes were her way of telling the world that she was here and she wasn't going to hang her head in shame at having become a mother at such a young age. It hadn't been her choice to become a mother, but she was the one who had been blamed, the one who'd had to struggle both herself and Henri at an age when other girls had been looking forward to their first dates. Admittedly, there had been times when she had cried herself to sleep with worry over how she was going to find that week's rent. However, she had never let Henri just how bad things had gotten at times. As the parent it had been her job to make sure that things had worked out, even if it had meant starving herself so that her baby could eat.

"Have you got time for a coffee?" she asked, joining Joel at his desk.

"Of course, I do," he replied, "is there something wrong?"

"Just Henri," Anne replied.

"Let's go for that coffee and you can tell me all about it," he said, standing up.

"I really hate to burden you with my problems," she said. He probably had a lot better things to do than listen to her go on about Henri.

"Your problems are my problems," Joel assured her.

 

"Chief, quit staring at her," Jim said, cuffing Blair around the back of the head. "She's Henri's mom," he added.

"I know," Blair said, "what can I say, she looks amazing. There aren't many women who could pull off the outfit."

"At least we know where H gets his dress sense from," he joked. It took some guts to wear clothes like that, but then he had seen her push through a mob of Aryans and tell them exactly what she thought of them. Although, at the time he'd suspected that she'd wanted to say a lot more than she had, but then she had just arrested her own mother.

"It's still pretty hard to think of her as H's mom," Blair admitted, "she must have been pretty young when she had him."

"She was," Jim said, "but then Naomi must have been young when she had you."

"yeah, she was," Blair replied, "and I know how hard it was for her sometimes."

"She did something right, though," he said. However, from what Blair had told him about his childhood the fact that his friend had turned out to be such a great person probably had a great deal more to with luck than anything that Naomi had done.

"You know, she bakes Henri cookies everyday," Blair said, "the only thing that Naomi can cook is tongue."

"Maybe you should ask her if she'll adopt you," Jim joked. He would probably seen a lot more of Henri's mom than he had of his own during the past couple of years."
"That's not a bad idea," Blair said.
"Chief, it was a joke," he said, "but if you asked her she'd probably send some cookies in with He tomorrow." While he still might not have a great relationship with his family at least he knew where they were if he wanted to talk to them.

"I thought that it was your day off," Rafe said when Henri joined him at his desk.

"It is," Henri replied, "but my mom had something to finish off."

"What?" he asked.

"I don't know," Henri admitted, "but don't worry she's not going to be late meeting your mom."

"About that..." Rafe began. How was he supposed to tell his best friend that his mom didn't want to go shopping with his mom.

"Don't worry, my mom's not going to embarrass her," Henri said, "she's going to be properly dressed."

"That's not what my mom's worried about," he admitted, "she doesn't think that she's going to have anything in common with your mom." Or as his mom had put it why would she want to spend the afternoon with someone who wasn't from her background.

"My mom is just as good as your mom," Henri said defensively, "in fact she's probably better than yours."

"My mom went to college, yours didn't," Rafe said. This was his mom that H was talking about so he had to put on a good show of defending her.

"She had to work for a living," Henri said, "she didn't have a trust fund to fall back on."

"She was a waitress," he said, "you wouldn't catch my mom doing a job like that."

"Well, your mom doesn't have a stack of bravery awards, mine does," Henri snapped.

 

"Henri is driving me nuts," Anne said as Joel handed her a mug of coffee in the break room.

"Have you tried talking to him?" he asked, sitting down opposite her.

"Tried and failed," she replied, "I'm seriously considering moving into a hotel."

"There's plenty of space at my place," Joel said. They would be living there once they were married, and if she moved in before then it would give them a chance to get used to each other's annoying little habits.

"Listen to him arguing with his best friend," Anne said, "he shouldn't be doing that."

"He's right you probably are the better mother," he said, "you wouldn't be worrying about hurting his feelings over a dress if you weren't."

"I should go out there and stop him," she said, "Because I didn't raise him to act like that."

"He's just blowing off steam," he said. Henri was not going to thank her if she went out there and told him off.

"You don't know him, at times he has a hell of a temper on him," Anne said, "it was always just the two of us while he was growing up."

"You did a good job of raising him," Joel said. She had every right to be proud of the man that her son had become.

"I'd never even held a baby until I had Henri," she admitted, "in my old family you hired people to do that sort of thing."

"You had servants?" he asked. They had never really talked about what her childhood had been liked, except for the fact that it had stopped the day that she had discovered she had been expecting Henri.

"Yeah," Anne replied, "and I went to a private girl's school. Only the best was good enough for the Curtis children."

"I've always had the impression that you were an only child," he said.

"Believe it or not I'm one of four," Anne said, "there's Frederick Jr, he's the eldest, then Joseph, he left one night and was never mentioned again. Lastly, there was Henri, he died."

"How did you find out what your father was?" Joel asked. Considering who the man represented he was hardly likely to have just come out and told her.

"When Henri started to get sick he was taken to an out of state hospital," she said, "I went once. I knew that there was something really wrong, but I didn't understand why those words terrified my father."

"What words?" he asked.

"Mixed race," she replied, standing up, "of course it was never written down anywhere and Henri was buried in the not so nice part of the graveyard."

"Sounds like it's a habit to treat people like that in your family," Joel said.

"My old family," Anne corrected him, "god only knows what they've told people about me."

"Does it really matter?" he asked.

"No," she replied, "I stopped caring about what they thought of me a long time ago. Now I'm going to try and stop my son from doing something that he's likely to regret later."

 

Oh shit, he was in serious trouble, Henri thought, when he saw his mother coming out of the break room. He didn't know how his mom did it, but she always knew when he'd done something that he shouldn't have.

"Hi mom," he said, "did you..."

"Don't hi mom me, young man," Anne said, "I heard the sort of language that you were using."
"But..." Henri began.

"But nothing," she said, "I raised you better than that."

"Yes mom," he said. She was really laying on the accent and that meant that he would be lucky if he got away with a lecture about how disappointed she was with him. He hated it when she did that, and she had raised him to stay calm no matter what people said, but Brian had been saying some pretty nasty things about his mom. They weren't true, he knew that they weren't but that didn't mean that they hurt any the less. "Brian said..." he started to add.

"Honey bear, I know what he said," Anne said, "but I can defend myself. It's not the first time that someone's said those sort of things about me and I doubt that it's the last."

"He shouldn't have said them though," he said, "you're a better mom than his." Brian's mom didn't Fedex his cookies when he'd been working on a hard case just to remind him that she did love him. "I'm sorry," he added.

"Baby, it's okay," she said, wrapping her arms around him and hugging him, "but it's never a good idea to fight with the man who's going to be watching your back on the streets."

"I'm not going to apologise," Henri said.

"Your pride isn't going to be of much use to you when people are shooting at you," Anne said, letting go of him, "and you've always been very good at saying sorry and no meaning it."

"How do you always know what I'm thinking?" he asked. There had been times in the past when his mom's ability to know exactly what he was thinking had stopped him from getting into serious trouble.

"Thirty years of experience," Anne replied, "now go talk to your partner and see if you can't find a way to work things out."

"Yes mom," he sighed.

 

Her son's idea that she go shopping with one of those people had been ridiculous, Jean Rafe thought. It was bad enough that he had to work with them and that she'd had to come here. She had a lot better things to do with her time than run around after her son. Becoming a police officer had never been her idea of a suitable career for him, but her late husband had allowed Brian to do exactly what he wanted with absolutely no regard as to what it would look like to the people that they mixed socially with. This was the first and only time that she would be coming to the station. It was a lot worse than she'd thought it would be, these days they seemed to be allowing any degenerate to become a police officer. Still, she supposed that she should get this over with. Although, what her friends would say when they found out that she had been talking to those people she didn't know, but it wouldn't be anything good. Everyone had their place and theirs was cleaning up after people like her.

"Excuse me," she said, approaching a woman dressed in a bright floral print shirt, jeans and crimson red boots.

"Yes," the woman replied.

"I'm Detective Rafe's mother, do you happen to know where he is?" Lauren asked.

"He's in the break room talking to my son Henri," the woman replied.

"I see," she sniffed, sizing the woman standing in front of her up. She wasn't what she'd been expecting at all, she was a lot younger and she looked nothing like her son. "Mrs Brown, it's nice to meet you at last," she added.

"It's Miss, or if you prefer Detective First Class," Anne said.

"You're a police officer," Lauren said, "I thought..."

"I'll have been a police officer for twenty yeas next month," Anne said, "and I know exactly what you thought."

"If you could point me in the direction of the break room," she said. She would definitely be having words with her son about his not warning her that his partner's mother wasn't the same color as her son.

"It's just over there," Anne said, pointing in the direction of the break room, "and by the way no one here is a degenerate."

"If you'll excuse me I have to go talk to my son," Lauren said, hurrying off in the direction of the break room. How could that woman have possibly known what she was thinking? Perhaps she had muttered a few comments in the lift on her way up, but she had been on her own in it.

"And I'm sorry that we won't be able to go shopping this afternoon, but something more important's come up," Anne said loudly, "I have to scrub out the toilets down in holding."

 

"She said it in the lift," Jim said when he saw the questioning look on Blair's face.

"Cool," Blair grinned. Henri's mom had to have enhanced hearing to have been able to hear what had been said in the lift.

"Chief, it doesn't mean anything," Jim said.

"But if she..." he began. When he'd first started looking for sentinels he'd come across people who had one or two enhanced senses, but Jim was the only one that he'd discovered who had all five enhanced.

"It could just be a coincidence," Jim said, "Rafe's mom was looking down on her."

"And everyone else," Blair said.

"Plus, working undercover you get very good at reading body language," Jim said, "it can make all the difference between life and death at times."

"Maybe I could ask her what it was like being with those people," he said.

"I wouldn't do that right now if I were you, Chief," Jim said, "it takes a while to get back to normal after you've been under for that long."

"Okay," he said. However, that didn't mean that he couldn't talk to her at all. She could probably tell him whether she had always had good hearing or whether it was something that had happened recently.

"I mean it Chief," Jim said, "Henri is not going to be happy if you piss his mom off."

"I'm not going to do that," Blair assured him.

 

"Mom," Brian smiled, "you remember Henri, don't you?"

"Of course I do," Lauren replied, "and I've just met his mother. I have to admit that she's not what I expected."

"My mom is pretty unique," Henri grinned.

"H, I think that my mom wants to talk to me alone," he said. His mom had that look on her face, that one that said that she was upset about something and he was going to find out what it was.

"I'll see you later," Henri said as he left the break room.

"I really wish that you wouldn't be friends with someone like that," Lauren said, "And why didn't you tell me that his mother wasn't..."

"Wasn't what?" Brian asked.

"The same color as her son," she replied, "not that it excuses the fact that you wanted me to go shopping with her."

"I don't think that she was too keen on the idea either," he admitted, "and what is wrong with Henri's mom?" He liked her.

"Brian, she's obviously not from our social class," Lauren said, "not to mention the fact that she had her son when she was fourteen. I don't think that you should get too closely involved with someone like that."

"So she had Henri when she was young, that's not a crime," he said.

"I know the sort of person she is and she is going to drag you down to her level," she said, "it's bad enough that you had to become a police officer without being partners with him. Do you have any idea what people are saying about you?"

"I don't care what they're saying," Brian replied, "Henri is my friend and his mom is great. She's just spent a year undercover. Do you know the sort of people that she had to mix with?"

"Probably a better class than she is," she replied, "Mark my words that woman is going to get you into trouble if you continue to have anything to do with her."

"Mom, Henri is a good partner and he's going to carry on being that until one of us decides otherwise," he said. He'd known for a long time that his mom wasn't happy about him being a police officer, but there was no reason for her to start on about him being partners with Henri, because in a tight corner there was no one else that he would rather have backing him up.

"Anne, are you all right?" Joel asked.

"I need to get out of here because my head is killing me." The stench coming off Brian's mother was starting to overwhelm her.

"Another migraine?" he asked.

"Probably," Anne replied, "But I'll be fine once I've got some fresh air." At least she hoped that it would cure her, because she didn't want to get sick again.

"Maybe you should go see a doctor," Joel suggested, "they might be able to give you something."

"They can't," she replied, "I've tried pills and they just end up making me worse." Some of the doctors that she'd been to see in the past had said that physically there was nothing wrong with her and that it was just in her mind. However, that didn't explain why she some times threw up after being exposed to people full of hate. They probably wouldn't have believed her if she'd told them that she could smell hate, but she'd always been able to tell what people were feeling by the way that they smelled.

"Is there anything that I can do to help?" he asked.

"You could let me take you out to dinner tonight," she replied, "Henri's going out with Brian so he won't be able to interfere with our plans," Especially, if she didn't tell him what she was planning to do. "That's if you don't have any other plans for tonight?" she added.

"I don't," Joel replied, "What time should I pick you up?"

"Seven thirty," she replied. That would give her enough time to get changed after Henri had gone out. She really didn't like sneaking around behind her son's back, but it was going to be the only way that she would be able to spend any time alone with Joel without Henri coming up with some reason why she had to spend all her time with him. Probably the best thing that could happen was if Henri found a nice girl to date, because then he would be so busy with his own life that he wouldn't have time to worry about what she was doing.

"I'll see you late," Joel said.

"Until tonight," Anne smiled. She then headed out of the Bullpen.

 

She had some nerve to be walking around like everyone else after what she'd done, he thought. His mother had told him how Elizabeth had told his father to leave her, and that she was threatening to disrupt his daughter's wedding, and that wasn't something that he could allow to happen. He had a great deal invested in seeing that his daughter's wedding went ahead with no problems at all. The sort of scandal that Elizabeth could cause almost certainly put paid to him plans of taking over his father's position in the Cause. If he dealt with her then Timothy would have to make him Vice President. He really would be doing everyone a favor by getting rid of her, and who was going to believe that a member of her own family had had something to do with her demise.

It was all just a matter of finding the right angle to approach her from, find out what her weak spot was and use it against her. So far, he'd only seen her close to two people, her son and another man. It was bad enough that Elizabeth had tried dragging Timothy's name through the mud with those outrageous lies, but now she was romantically involved with one of those people. The family would never be able to live down the shame if she married him. His father was being totally unreasonable as far as punishing Elizabeth for the crimes that she'd committed was concerned. She had to be made an example of before she led anyone else astray. She had always been very good at bending the truth when it had suited her purposes. Well, now the truth had come back t haunt her. He would start by telling both her son and the man that she was seeing what she was and how she'd lied for years. There were plenty of people only too willing to help him bring Elizabeth down. Soon his mother would never have to worry about Elizabeth again. After Elizabeth had been dealt with there would only be one more person that he would have to get rid of, Joseph. His brother was as big a traitor as Elizabeth was. Joseph had revealed a lot of the Cause's secret, oh, he'd tried to disguise them as fiction, but everyone in the Cause knew what was really being said. It was ironic that he would be the one to restore his family's honor, as he'd been the only one never to have deviated when it had come to following the Cause's beliefs.

 

"Do you want me to take the last batch of letters to the police?" Hope asked, "or should I just bin them?"

"I'll take them to the police myself," James Bethie replied. This was something that he should do in order to try and put some distance between Hope and the senders of those letters. At the moment she was a target for all the cranks out there who thought that he had no right to write what he did. "I think that it might be a good idea if you took a vacation," he added.

"Whose going to organise your schedule if I do that?" she asked.

"I'll manage on my own," he replied, "some of those letters are pretty explicit about what they're going to do to me. I don't want you getting caught up in this."

"I'm already caught up in it," Hope said, "and those people don't frighten me."

"Well, they frighten me," James admitted. He'd seen first hand what those people were capable of doing and they weren't going to think twice before attacking anyone who was connected to him. "I grew up amongst them." he added. That was why he was so determined to expose them to the full glare of public scrutiny.

"You warned me what might happen when you offered me the job," she reminded him, "it's not as if I came into this with my eyes closed."

"I promised your father that I wouldn't let anything happen to you," he said, "and it might if you keep working for me."

"They killed him for having the guts to stand up to them," Hope said, "and they got away with it. Besides, even if I quit right now I wouldn't be any safer."

"Probably not," he admitted, "but I want you to be extra careful when you go out." There was a strong possibility that their every move was being watched.

"I have the name of that undercover detective you wanted to talk to," Hope said, "the one who busted the Sisters of Purity wide open. She's from out of state, but her son's a detective here, works for the Major Crimes department. It might be worth paying him a visit when you take those letters to the station."

"What's his name?" James asked.

"Henri Brown," she replied, "with an I not a Y."

"He probably won't talk to me," he said. People tended to be very wary about him once they learned what sort of books he wrote.

"You could always try turning on the charm," Hope smiled.

"You are a lot better at doing that than me," James said. All she had to do was smile at someone and they would start telling her thing that they had kept a secret for years.

"I'll talk to him," she said, "see if I can't arrange a meeting between you and his mother."

"Do that," he said, "have you heard back from the private detective yet?"

"Yeah, and it's not good news," she replied, "Mackenna's people are going after his victims and their children, and he still hasn't bee able to track down the person you're looking for."

"Tell him to keep looking," James said. Not that he really held out much hope of her being found after all this time, but for his own peace of mind he had to know whether his sister had died in a car crash or not. He'd been to her grave, but had come away with the feeling that it was either empty or that someone else was buried there.

"Shall I hire someone else to help him?" Hope asked.

"No," he replied, "we don't know who else we can trust with this," he replied. It had taken him a long time to find someone that he could trust not to become his enemy and that person came from a very surprising background.

"I hate to ask this, but have you given any thought as to what you're going to say to her if you find her?" she asked.

"Sorry," James replied, "because I should have taken her with me when I left, or at least tried to go back for her." Not that their parents would have just let him take Bethie. His sister had been their chance of greatness within the cause that he now fought so strongly against.

 

"You are right, your mom is better than mine," Brian admitted. He'd always thought this his mom was a pretty tolerant person, but what she'd said about both Henri and Henri's mom had shown him that she wasn't tolerant at all. "And tolerant," he added.

"She's had a lot of practice at being tolerant," Henri said, "but you really don't want to upset my mom."

"Why not?" he asked. Although, he had no intention of doing that.

"The accent comes out," Henri replied, "she uses that and you know that you're in for a lecture."

"But your mom doesn't have an accent," Brain said. At least, he hadn't heard her use one.

"Trust me, she has one," Henri said, "it's a really deep south one. Every time that I hear it it puts the fear of god into me."

"And I thought that you weren't afraid of anything," he joked.

"There's a lot that I'm afraid of," Henri admitted, "I'm just very good at hiding it. My mom says that fear only makes them stronger. No matter how bad it got while I was growing up my mom never let them know that she was afraid."

"Who are they?" Brian asked.

"People like the Sister of Purity, the cops who wouldn't go out there and break that rally up."

"I went out there with Ellison," he said, "to make sure that your mom could get into the station okay. If we'd tried arresting anyone that rally would have turned into a riot."

"My mom arrested someone though," Henri said, "and she was in a lot more danger than you or Ellison. All it would have taken was for one of those SOBs to have pulled out a gun and she might have been killed."

"She didn't though," Brian said, "and there's no way that I could have gone undercover for a year with those people. Your mom deserves an award or something for doing that."

"She'd rather them be locked up for life than get an award," Henri said, "besides, she doesn't have the room to put any more awards. When she moves to Cascade permanently she is going to give Ellison a serious run for his money for Cop of the Year."

 

If traditional medicine couldn't help Anne with her migraines then maybe it was time to try a different approach, Joel thought, because he really hated to see her in pain. He knew that Jim had had problems with migraines in the past and that Blair had been able to help him, so maybe he could help Anne. At least it would be worth asking him about it, even if he wasn't able to come up with a way to help her. Anne had never said what set her migraines off, but she had been under a great deal of stress during the past year and that was bound to have some sort of effect on her health. He also suspected that there was something other than Henri's attitude bothering her, but Anne wasn't the sort of person who was willing to burden others with her problems, even when they were willing to help her.

When he thought about it there was still a great deal that he didn't know about the woman that he loved and was going to marry. He could understand why she was reluctant to talk about the past, but what if there was something in it that could put her in danger now. He had waited a long time for someone like Anne to come into his life and he didn't want to lose her. It was bad enough that the Sisters of Purity had been bailed, they wouldn't hesitate to have a go at Anne if they got the chance to. He'd said that he would protect her if she let him, but at the moment she didn't seem to be willing to. Still, they could talk about that over dinner tonight, not that he was expecting her to tell him every secret that she had.

 

It would have been a lot faster to have driven herself to the station, Hope though, but James insisted that she either took a cab or used public transport so that he wouldn't have to worry about someone planting a bomb under her car. Some people might thing that he was overreacting by having that thought, but then they didn't know the sort of people James was fighting against. Maybe if her dad had taken a cab instead driving himself he might still have been alive. The police had pretty much written off any chance of finding the person responsible by trashing the crime scene before Forensics had arrived. That was when she'd decided to quit her job and start working with James. However, he short foray into law enforcement still came in handy at times, especially when it came to convincing people that James's life was in danger. She also happened to be very good at getting people to open up to her.

James was going to work himself into exhaustion over this new move by Timothy Mackenna. She'd lied when she'd told him that those people didn't scare her, because Timothy Mackenna scared the hell out of her. If evil and hate wore a human face then they would have worn his. It was bad enough that the man was a racist, but he also raped teenage girls. She'd often heard James muttering something that Timothy Mackenna was supposed to have done to his sister, but she wasn't sure what and every time that she'd tried asking him about it he'd snapped at her and changed the subject. Whatever Timothy Mackenna had done he wasn't going to be punished for it and now he was making all his victims disappear. There were turning out to be a lot more victims than even James had imagined. The problems was that no one was willing to file charges against him, because they were terrified of him. All it would take was for one person to get up enough courage and they would be able to go to the authorities and demand that something was done. Mackenna's followers came from all backgrounds and whoever decided to investigate him would be putting not only their life in danger but those of their family as well.

"Excuse me," she said, "I'm looking for a Detective Henri Brown, I was told that I could find him here."

"I'm Detective Brown," the man standing in front of her said, "What can I do for you Miss..."

"St Geraint, Hope St Geraint," she said, "I work for the author James Bethie, he's heard about your mother and would really like to interview her for a book that he's working on."

"I don't think that my mom's going to want to talk to him," Henri said, "she's a very private person."

"That's precisely why James wants to talk to her," Hope said, "nobody else had ever gone undercover with the Sisters of Purity and made it out alive."

"She won't want to do it," he said,.

"Could you ask her?" she asked, "Please."

"I'll ask, but I can tell you what her answers going to be," he said.

"Here's my card just in case she says yes," Hope said, "you can contact me any time day or night, so if you or your mother have any questions don't hesitate to call me."

"We won't," Henri smiled.

 

That guy had been following her since she'd left the station, Anne thought, which was why she'd gone to the mall instead of going straight back to Henri's. She was tempted to confront him and demand to know what it was that he wanted, but he would just deny that he was following her. However, there was nothing stopping her from letting him catch up with her, but then she would be taking the risk that he would turn violent. Still, she couldn't go home until he had been dealt with, if he didn't get her here then he would follow her home and she would be putting Henri in danger. No doubt he'd been sent by the Sisters of Purity to take her out so that she wouldn't be able to testify against them. Well, she hadn't spent a year with those bitches only for them to end up walking free.

Frederick Curtis had promised her that he would let her know if he heard any plans for someone to come after both her and Henri, but she hadn't heard from him since the day that he had walked out of the station. Still, she should have known better than to believe anything that he said. After all, he had been involved with the Cause for most of his life. She had hoped that he would change after she'd spoken to him, but he hadn't. It was probably too dangerous for him to do anything and Louisa had probably bullied him into staying silent because she had a great deal to lose if the truth ever came out.

The only thing that she felt bad about was lying to Joel about what had happened to her brother Henri. The truth was that she didn't know what had happened to him, because she had been too young to know. She had vague memories of a funeral and being taken to visit a grave on what should have been her brother's birthday. All she could be certain of what that he had been born and then he was gone. There had always been a feeling at the back of her mind that Henri's grave was empty, that he wasn't dead. However, apart from exhuming the grave there was no way that she could be certain of that. In fact, the only one of her brothers that she knew for certain was still alive was Freddie. He'd really worked hard to overcome the Jr tag by having a vicious streak in him a mile wide. He'd always taken a great deal of pride in making sure that people were terrified of him, not even she had been safe from him while she'd been growing up. Joseph had tried to protect her as much as possible, but he hadn't always been successful. Perhaps that was why he'd left one night. There had been times before having Henri that she'd given serious thought to running away and finding him, but she hadn't known where to start looking for him. You could bet that even if she had run away she would have been found and dragged back home to be punished. While it would be nice to see her brother again too many years had passed for her to stand any real chance of finding him, but wherever he was she hoped that he was happy.

 

Now that he had her trapped with no way of escape he could tell her why he was about to punish her. She could ruin everything for him and his family. He knew that Timothy wasn't the saint that he was made out to be, but you had to be tough to get to the top and stay there. In order for him to be named vice president he had to get his hands dirty, but this one act would prove beyond all doubt that not was he totally dedicated to the Cause but to Timothy personally.

"Hello Whore," he said, "you have been found guilty of betraying your race." She couldn't deny it, because there was evidence in the form of her son.

"Do I know you?" Anne asked.

"Don't tell me that you don't remember me," Freddie said, "mother is so disappointed with you. She thought that she'd killed you off a long time ago. This time you won't be coming back." No one back home was going to mourn her loss and with her death a sordid chapter of family history would be closed.

"Freddie," she said, "and I thought that my day couldn't get any worse. You've put on weight since the last time I saw you. Life must be treating you pretty good."

"I'm not here to catch up on the past," he snapped. If she thought that she could distract him from carrying out his duty then she was very sadly mistaken.

"You really should work on tailing people," Anne said, "I spotted you as soon as I left the station."

"But you didn't recognise me," Freddie said.

"No, but then it has been a long time," she said, "I suppose that you're going to try and kill me."

"How did you guess?" he asked.. She wasn't reacting the way that he had expected her to. By now she should have been on her knees begging for her life and that of her son.

"The bulge in your jacket gave it away," Anne admitted, "and I'm not going to beg, but you will be by the time that I've finished with you."

"Elizabeth all I have to do is pull the trigger and you're dead," he said.

"Then you become a cop killer," she said, "and it's all caught on tape. You might even make the evening news."

"Mother warned me that you might be difficult," he said, "but I can't allow you to try and bring a good man like Timothy down."

"your precious Timothy is a serial rapist," Anne said, "I've so much evidence against him that he'll never see the light of day again."

"Evidence can disappear and so can the whores who are trying to frame him," he replied. The Cause had a great many friends in high places all of whom would rally to make sure that Timothy was found innocent of any charges that his enemies brought against him.

"I take it that you've seen your nephew Henri," she said, "he's Timothy's son and I can prove it. What's it going to do to your precious Cause when people find out. They'll probably string Timothy up from the nearest tree."

"And your son will be hanging right next to him," Freddie said, What she was saying just wasn't possible, because Timothy could trace his family back to the first settlers.

"Anything happens to us and all the evidence that I have gets published on the Internet," she said, "you won't be able to stop people from reading it. Then the whole world will know what sort of man he is."

"Elizabeth, you have to be punished," he said.

"For what? For being a victim?" she demanded. "Well, if you're going to do it, you'd better get on with it."

"I'm not at all sorry that I have to do this," he said, taking out his gun and aiming it at the centre of her chest.

"Before you pull the trigger there's just one thing I want to know," she said.

"What?" he demanded.

"Is Joseph still alive?" Anne said.

"For now he is," he replied, pulling the trigger, "I hope that you rot in hell for your sins," he added, stepping over her body as a crimson patch rapidly spread out across her chest.

 

He didn't like lying to Hope, but they both knew that no matter how many death threats he reported to the police very little would be done about it, that was why he'd come to see someone who had been able to give him information in the past. That private detective wasn't the only person he'd asked to help him find Elizabeth, and he was hoping that his friend would have something good to tell him. He could certainly use some good news, because things hadn't been going so well recently. He was really worried about the young women and children that Mackenna's people had taken. Somewhere there was going to be a mass grave, and there wasn't anything that he could do about it on his own. This could just be the start of a bigger campaign by the Cause. It had always been his nightmare that the Cause would gain so much power that it would become unstoppable. While growing up he'd seen some of the terrible things that it had done, had been forced to watch while men were hung from tress until they were dead just because their skin had been the wrong color. Running had been the best thing that he could have done at the time, and before not too long he might have to run again.

"Jack, please tell me that you've found something," he said.

"I might have found something that you're interested in," Jack Kelso said, ""that detective you wanted to know more about well she didn't exist until 1972, before that there was no Anne Brown."

"So who is she?" James asked, "a Cause plant?" It wouldn't be the first time that they had set up one of their own factions.

"I discovered that she legally changed her name in early 72," Jack replied, "the year she turned twenty one and could do that without her parents permission."

"And?" he asked impatiently, wishing that Jack would just get to the point and tell him what he'd found.

"She has your sisters social security number," Jack said, "it's possible that she got lucky when she made it up, but too many details match with what you've told me about your sister."

"You've found Bethie?" James grinned.

"I'm as sure as I can be that it's her," Jack said, "now it's up to her."

"I have to go and talk to her," he said, "see if she recognises me." However it had been along time so she might not do that.

"James, she might not want to talk to you," Jack warned him, "it's been a long time and she might think that you're dead."

"I've got to try," he said, "there's so much that I have to tell her." He'd start by telling her how much he'd wanted to take her with him, that he'd never stopped looking for her.

"In that case you're going to need his," Jack said, handing him a slip of paper, "her son's address and phone number."

"Thanks," James said.

"I hope that it goes well for the two of you," Jack said.

"So do I," he replied. First of all he was going to have to convince Bethie that not only was he a good guy, but that he was her brother as well.

 

This was a part of the job that he really hated, Simon thought, putting down the phone, especially when it affected the people that he worked with. He supposed that he should tell them together, even though Henri was listed as his mother's legal next of kin. However, Joel did have a right to know what had happened to Anne. At the moment he only had a few details to give them, that there had been a shooting incident, she had been hit in the chest and not her body had gone missing. The only good thing was that the whole thing had been caught on a security camera so there was at least a suspect. The strange thing was that Anne hadn't put up any sort of struggle, and that was something that he could have expected. In fact, she seemed to have had a long conversation with the man who had shot her before he'd pulled the trigger.

"Henri, Joel, my office," he said, opening the door to his office. They would hopefully know from the tone of his voice that it was serious, not that it was going to make it any easier to break the bad news to them.

"You wanted to see us," Joel said.

"Close the door and sit down," Simon said, "Coffee?"

"Has something happened to my mom?" Henri asked.

"Son, there's been a shooting at the mall," he replied, "we believe that your mother was involved." He hadn't seen the security tape for himself yet, but the officer who had seen it was almost positive that it had been Anne.

"Believe," Joel said, "so you don't know anything for certain?"

"Can't they tell by looking at the body?" Henri asked.

"At the moment the body is missing," Simon replied, "the camera was destroyed after the shooting." Which really didn't make that much senses unless the shooter hadn't noticed the camera until afterwards. "Officers are searching the area," he added. But it was a lot of ground to cover, and it was possible, all be it remote that she had survived being shot and had tried getting to help. However, it was much more like that the shooter had decided to try and get rid of the body.

"I want to be there," Henri said.

"I don't think that's a good idea," he said. He didn't want either of them to be the one who found her body.

"This could be some sort of mistake," Joel said, "we shouldn't assume anything until we have all the facts."

"My mom could be laying dead in some alley right now," Henri snapped, "I kept telling her that she should take a desk job because she was too old to be working undercover, but she wouldn't listen to me and now..."

"She's not dead," Joel said, "and sitting behind a desk all day would kill her spirit."

"She wasn't like this until she met you," Henri said, "she went to work, come home, that was her life. She was happy like that."

"That's enough," Simon said, "I'm sure that Anne wouldn't want the tow of you arguing," From the way that Henri was talking any one would think that Anne was his daughter, not his mother. "for the time being we have to wait for more news," he added.

 

That woman looked as if she could use some help, Hope thought. James would probably lecture her about helping total strangers, but she couldn't just walk straight past someone who was obviously in trouble.

"Excuse me," she said, "it there anything that I can do to help?"

"Could you get me a cab," the woman replied, "only they won't stop for me while I'm looking like this."

"Maybe I should call an ambulance instead," Hope suggested. She seemed to be losing a lot of blood so getting her to a hospital would probably be a good idea.

"Don't worry, it's not real," the woman assured her,. "I'm a police officer and I really need to get to the central station," she added, showing her credentials.

"Do you mind if I tag along with you?" she asked. She might be able to persuade Detective Brown to talk to James on the cab ride to the station.

"I don't think that's a good idea, the guy who did this is still around," Anne said, "maybe another time."

"Okay," she said, setting about hailing a cab. "So what happened?"

"Someone shot me," Anne replied, "thank god for Kevlar."

"And the blood?" Hope asked.

"Fake," Anne replied, "comes in handy sometimes."

"How do you know that I'm not working with the guy who shot you?" Hope asked. She wouldn't have told a complete stranger about the kevlar in case they tried and used it against her later on.

"I have pretty good instincts when it comes to judging people," Anne replied, "and anyone wearing the peace symbol can't be all that bad. You were probably a cop for a while."

"How did you know that?" Hope asked.

"You nodded when I said kevlar, and you actually read what it says on my badge."

"I was a cop for a while," she admitted, "now I work for James Bethie, the author." now would be a really good time for her to introduce the possibility of James interviewing her.

"The Death of Mead Perkins, is the one book that's a permanent fixture on my bookshelf," Anne said.

"James is working on a sequel to it," she said, "and he would really like to interview you."

"So that's the real reason why you stopped and helped me," Anne said.

"I would have stopped anyway," Hope replied, "I gave a card with a contact number on to your son," she added as a cab finally pulled up, "I'd really like it if he, I mean you would give me a call."

"Don't worry I know what you meant," Anne said, getting into the cab, "and he will call you," she added, closing the door.

 

His mom had never kept anything from him before Joel had come along, Henri thought, she'd always told him what was going on in her life, well as much as she could concerning work. Then she'd started to change, become more outrageous in the way that she dressed. Most of the time she hadn't even realise just how embarrassed her was by her. Moms weren't supposed to suddenly start acting like a teenager, but his had. As much as he loved his mom he couldn't deal with her behavior any more. If she had survived being shot then they would have a long talk while she was recovering about her giving up being a detective. He was more than willing to help her find a nice safe office job where she wouldn't be in danger every time that she set foot outside of the door. Naturally she would have to give up seeing Joel because he was encouraging her to go out and put herself in danger. At his age Joel should know better. He still didn't understand why his mom wanted her man in her life at her age. She'd been perfectly happy with it just being the two of them for the past thirty years. Maybe she was having some sort of mid-life crisis, that would certainly go some way to explaining her erratic behaviour recently.

If she wanted friends then he would help her to make some who would make sure that she acted her age. There would be no more wearing clothes which in his opinion showed too much flesh. Instead, she would wear things more like the dress that he had bought her. Okay, so , it was grey, but there was nothing wrong with it. She was the only family that he had and he wanted her to be still around for a long time to come.

"I thought that you could use this," Blair said, putting a mug of coffee down on the desk, "Joel told us about your mom."

"I bet he did," Henri said.

"He's worried about her as well," Blair said, "I think that the two of you should talk."

"I've got nothing to say to him," he said. Joel would just say that his mom was free to make her own choices. Well, she wasn't, not it those choices meant that she ended up dead.

"You know, your mom is a pretty amazing person," Blair said, "she stayed around to raise you when it would have been a lot easier for her to have given you up."

"My mom loves me," Henri said, "she's always put me first."

"Don't you think that it's about time that you put her first for a change?" Blair asked, "While I was growing up there was a constant stream of guys coming and going in my mom's life. Yours waited until you were an adult before finding someone."

"She's too old for all that stuff," he said. He knew what Hairboy was getting at and it wasn't going to work. "She has me so she doesn't need anyone else," he added.

"Man, that is such a selfish attitude to have," Blair said, "it's no wonder that your mom didn't tell you about Joel until recently. You can't expect your mom to sit around waiting for you to need her while you get on with your life."

"She's my mom, not yours," Henri snapped, "I know what's best for her."

"The only person who knows what is best for her is her," Blair said, "and there are some people who would kill to have a mom like yours."

 

It was always with some trepidation that he entered a police station, James thought, because he was never entirely sure what sort of reaction he was going to get. However, Jack had assured him that he shouldn't have any problems with the Major Crimes unit, and if Jack trusted them then that was good enough for him. There were very few people in this world that Jack trusted, not that he could blame him. He'd come across people who were only too willing to sell their own flesh and blood to the Cause. Bethie had never stood a chance once Louisa had decided that Frederick would be Vice President of the Cause. He'd always had his doubts as to whether Frederick had known the truth or not, but he suspected that he might have done. Why else would he have refused to listen while Bethie had begged for mercy as she was beaten. All the time Louisa had stood there not saying anything, that had only made him more determined to get away from those people. For a long time afterwards he'd been very angry at the world, that was until he'd met Hope's father. David had become his best friend virtually overnight. They'd been through a lot together, he'd been the best man at David's wedding, then become Hope's godfather. When David had been murdered his world had almost collapsed, it was Hope who had kept him going, even though she'd had to deal with her own grief and anger. It had been Hope's idea that he wrote down everything that had happened to him during his childhood so that he could try and exorcise some of the demons that still haunted him. up to a point it had worked, but after his book had been published he'd started getting death threats from people who knew the truth behind the fiction.

Hopefully, once he'd found out whether Anne Brown was Bethie or not he'd be able to sleep better at night. Although, he suspected that there might be more problems for to him deal with. Not that it would bother him if there were just as long as he had his sister back. Maybe between the two of them they would be able to strike a killer blow to the Cause. He and Bethie had been close before he'd left home, which was why he'd written very little about her in his book. By now she might have married and had a family, he didn't have the right to publicly expose her as someone who was a victim. She was a survivor and that was something that she should be proud of.

 

There were probably a lot better cures for migraines than getting shot, Anne thought, making her way up the stairs to Major Crimes, but she had to admit that she did feel better even if she was going to have some pretty impressive bruises in a couple of days. Both Joel and Henri weren't going to be too happy that she had come back to the station rather than going to the hospital to be checked out. However, there wasn't anything that they could do for her at the hospital except give her something for the pain. It was much more important that she reported what had happened so that Freddie could be tracked down and arrested. However, he was bound to have some sort of sort of alibi arranged for if he was questioned, but he would have a hard time denying that it had been him when there was video evidence against him. She didn't suppose that it would do any good telling anyone what his answer to her question about Joseph had been, because she had no idea where he was or even if he was still using the same name.

Her biggest fear was that if Freddie was arrested he would talk about Timothy Mackenna and what he had done to her. Her baby shouldn't find out off some stranger how he'd been conceived, but it wasn't going to be easy for her to tell him the truth. She had to though, because someone else was bound to tell him if she didn't. It was precisely the sort of thing that Freddie would get a great deal of pleasure from doing. No matter how she told Henri he was going to be angry that she hadn't told him sooner, but she hadn't wanted him growing up thinking that she hated him for what his birth had done to her life. Admittedly there had been time when she had wondered what her life might have been like if she'd never had him, but she certainly wouldn't have wanted to be without him. It would probably be a good idea if Joel was there when she told Henri, because he would be able to stop him from rushing off and doing something stupid, that would either get her son arrested or a one way ticket to the nearest morgue.

 

"Anne!" Joel said in surprise. She was the last person that he had expected to see. "Are you all right?" he added, seeing the state that she was in.

"I'm fine," she assured him, "I need someone to take my statement though."

"Simon told me and Henri that you'd been shot," he said.

"As you can see rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated," Anne said, "I never go anywhere without kevlar these days."

"Thank god you don't," he said. Still, wearing a vest wouldn't have done her much good if her attacker had decided to use a head shot.

"I suppose that Henri was freaking out about this," she said.

"He blamed me," Joel admitted, "he seems to think that I'm a bad influence on you." This only thing that he wanted was for Anne to be happy. She made her own choices as far as her career was concerned and he supported those choices even when he didn't like them.

"I'll talk to him once I've got changed out of this shirt and given my statement," Anne said.

"I'll find you something to change into," he said, "and I'm sure that Simon will let me use his office to take your statement in.."

"Joel, I think that it would be a good idea if someone else took my statement," she said, "someone who's not going to spare my feelings, you would because you love me."

"I'll ask Jim to do it," he said. However, he would ask Jim to go easy on her because he didn't think that she was up to Jim's usual questioning style at the moment.

"I'm doing this to protect you and Henri," Anne said, "and it's about time that I stood up and told the truth."

"But at what cost though?" he asked. She could end up being an even bigger target than she was at the moment. While he'd thought that she might be dead he'd realised that he couldn't live without her.

"I have to do this so that the past can be laid to rest," she said, "fears kept me silent for too long. It's allowed him to get away with it again and again when I could have done something to stop him."

"You're going to tell Henri, aren't you?" he asked.

"If I don't someone else might," she replied, "it's not the sort of thing that he should learn from a stranger and that's becoming a real possibility now."

"I'll be there when you tell him," Joel said. She would need him there to make sure that Henri didn't go off the deep end.

"I know you will," she said, "and we're still on for tonight, aren't we?"

"Only if you're feeling up to it," he replied.

"I will be," Anne smiled.

 

His mom was okay, but he wasn't the first person that she'd come and seen, Henri thought, that had been Joel. That just went to show how unimportant he was to her now that she had Joel. Okay, so maybe it was a pretty selfish attitude for him to have, but he just wanted to be able to spend time with his mom. He might be an adult, but he still needed her for a lot of stuff. Still, what Blair had said had made sense, he just wished that his mom would think more before she went and did stuff that would put her in danger. It didn't mean that he wasn't proud of what she did, because he was. He knew that she'd done a lot of things to make sure that he hadn't been hurt while growing up, but he was big enough to take care of himself now so she didn't have to keep protecting him like he was a little kid. Although, he hadn't exactly been acting like an adult recently. He supposed that he should talk to her, see if they couldn't reach some sort of compromise about the way she acted, because it still embarrassed the hell out of him.

"Can I help you?" he asked when a man in his late forties stopped by his desk.

"I'm looking for Detective Anne Brown," the man replied.

"What do you want her for?" Henri asked.

"My name is James Bethie and it's personal," he replied.

"You're that writer guy, aren't you?" Henri asked, "well, my mom's not interested in talking to you." He'd heard that accent recently when his mom had told him off, that meant that this guy was from the same part of the country as her.

"Son, I really need to talk to her," James said, "I have information that she needs."

"You can tell me and I'll pass it on to her," he said. His mom wasn't working on a case that he knew of, and he wasn't about to let anyone else try killing her, especially in front of her.

"I can only speak to her about it," James said, "there are people's lives at stake if I don't get to talk to her right now."

"She'll be back soon," he said. Until then he was going to keep a very close eye on this guy, just in case he was intending to do something that would hurt his mom.

 

"Anne would like you to take her statement," Joel said, joining Jim in the break room, "It's going to be about a lot more than just the shooting," he added.

"I'll handle her with kid gloves," Jim assured him, "but I won't make it too obvious that I'm doing that."

"She's an amazing woman," Joel said, "her childhood wasn't exactly a fairy tale one."

"I know who her father is," he said.

"Anne calls them her old family," Joel said, "until that day he came to the station she hadn't seen him in thirty years. Things were different back then… The history books don't cover half of what went on."

"Whatever she has to say I'll listen to and then take down like any other statement," Jim said. Although, he suspected that he was going to hear some pretty horrendous things.

"I don't think that Blair should be with you when she gives her statement," Joel said.

"He'll stay outside," he said, "do you want to sit in?"

"No," Joel replied, "Anne wants to do this on her own. She'll tell me anything that she wants me to know later."

"I'll let her set the pace," Jim said. If she wanted to stop halfway through giving her statement then that was going to be fine with him.

 

That had to be her, James thought when a women wearing T-shirt that was several sizes too big for her entered the department. There was definitely a family resemblance, but that didn't mean anything. It had been thirty years since he'd last seen Elizabeth and people changed a great deal over that period of time. Even if it was her there was no guarantee that she would want to acknowledge the fact that they were related.

"Bethie," he said as she walked past him.

"Yes," she replied, rapidly backing away from him.

"It's okay," James assured her, "I'm not here to hurt you." He would never do that. "I've been looking for you for a long time," he added.

"Joseph?" Anne asked hesitantly, "is it really you?"

"It was when I looked in the mirror this morning," he replied, "I'll understand if you don't want to talk to me, but there's something that you really need to know."

"If it's about Freddie, I've already had a run in with him," she said.

"It's about Timothy Mackenna," he said, "I know about his victims, he's taking care of them all." Which meant that she was a prime target.

"All of them?" Anne said.

"I'm afraid so," he replied, "Bethie, you're not safe and neither is your son."

"I haven't been safe for a long time," she said, "but I'm taking care of that."

"Would it be okay if I hugged you?" he asked.

"Sure," Anne replied.

"I'm so sorry that I didn't go back for you," James said, wrapping his arms around her and hugging her, "I tried so hard to find you, but I couldn't." Now that he had he was going to make sure that she was safe, but that wasn't going to be easy.

"It's okay," she said, blinking back tears, "I'm doing great."

"I was worried that you might not be," he admitted, "letting go of her, "maybe we could go for coffee and talk?"

"I have a statement to give first," she said.

"Do you want me to be with you while you give it?" he asked. There were probably some gaps that he could fill in for her.

"I think that I can manage by myself," Anne replied.

"I'm still having trouble believing that it's really you," James admitted, "the last time I saw you was...."

"A very long time ago," she said, "I'm a different person now."

"We both are," he said, "very little has changed back there though."

"It will," she said, "I'm going to take them all down, including the Curtis's."

"Does your son know about..." he began. He didn't want to say something that he shouldn't.
"Not yet," she admitted, "I'm going to tell him later."

"You have my word that I won't say anything," he said.

 

"She's not going to be a problem anymore," Freddie said, "she's dead."

"You killed her?" Timothy asked.

"You said that you wanted to be rid of her," Freddie replied, "so I got rid of her, she didn't even bother to put up a fight."

"Did I tell you to kill her?" he asked.

"No," Freddie replied, "but I thought..."

"You didn't think, that's the problem," Timothy said, "I gave your father my word that nothing would happen to either her or her son."

"My father's gone soft," Freddie snapped, "he's defending a traitorous whore."

"He's carrying out my orders," he said, "something that you're not capable of doing." Freddie wasn't the smartest branch on the tree which was why he hadn't allowed him to rise very high in the cause. However, that didn't stop him from doing things that he thought would get him promoted.

"But..." Freddie began.

"I had my own plans for her," he said, "plans that I now have to change." He had been looking forward to dealing with Elizabeth himself, and now that pleasure had been taken away from him. "You're going to have to explain what you've done to your father," he added. That was going to be a very interesting conversation, it was a pity that he wouldn't be able to hear it as he had other things to do. However, his old friend was going soft and he would have to do something before that attitude spread to other people.

"Mother said..." Freddie began.

"You shouldn't believe everything that your mother says," he warned him. Louisa was a very devious and power hungry woman, someone that he was keeping a very close eye on in case she began to pose a threat to him. Women were only good for one thing in his opinion, and that was why he was having to wipe out all the evidence of his past indiscretions. Naturally, he was being careful to make sure that he could in no way be connected to any of the bodies that might turn up later on. However, he had to admit that he was more than a little worried that someone might have DNA evidence against him. His followers were not going to be too happy if they found out that he had broken one of the cardinal rules of the Cause, never breed with the impure. Although, he still didn't understand who Elizabeth could have produced a child like that unless she really was the whore that he had made her out to be.

 

"I hope that you don't mind my sitting in," Simon said, handing Anne a mug of coffee.

"No," she replied, "but I should warn you that some of what I have to say is pretty horrendous."

"I can imagine," Jim said.

"There's no way that you could imagine," Anne said, "I lived through it and at times it still feels like a nightmare to me." At least she didn't wake up in the middle of the night screaming any more.

"Why don't you start at the beginning," Jim suggested.

"My life was pretty normal until I was fourteen," she said.

"Normal?" Simon asked.

"It was normal for us," she replied, "the house was probably bigger than most peoples. There were meeting in the house nearly every night, Timothy Mackenna was always there, planning a new empire takes a lot of time and energy, he was already the leader of the Cause."

"Does this have any relevance to your being shot?" Simon asked.

"I was just getting to that," Anne said. It was important that they knew all the details. "Joseph and I would sit at the top of the stairs listening to what was being said," she added, "we weren't supposed to though. It took me a lot longer realise what was going on. I didn't want to think that my father was capable of doing something evil." Nobody wanted to think that their parents were capable of doing terrible things.

"The man who hugged you is your brother," Jim said.

"One of them," Anne replied, "it was Freddie who shot me. He's the eldest of us, a stupid and vicious man. He hangs on Timothy's every word, always has done."

"I still don't understand why he would want to shoot you," Jim said, "my brother and I don't get on all that great, but I wouldn't want to kill him."

"You mean apart from the fact that I can place Timothy Mackenna at two lynching?" Anne asked, "how about the fact that I could do permanent damage to the Cause with one interview. Mackenna and Frederick Curtis would be hanging side by side from the same tree minutes after it started."

"I can understand your father," Simon said, "but Mackenna?"

"He's trying to wipe out all his victims and their children," she said, "or should I say his children." It was a lot harder to say than she'd thought it would be. "He's been raping teenage girls for at least the past thirty years."

"And nobody's reported him?" Jim growled.

"They've tried, but he has so much power nobody will listen to them," she replied, "I told and was beaten doe daring to suggest that he would ever do something like that. He got the son he wanted, just not the one that he was expecting."

"He's Henri's..." Simon began.

"Henri is my son, no one else's," Anne said.

"When you said wipe out, you meant kill, didn't you?" Jim asked.

"Of course I meant kill," she said, "the question is what are we going to do about it?" If they wouldn't do anything then she would act on her own, because she couldn't allow Timothy to get away with murder again.

 

"Of course, you haven't done anything wrong," Louis assured her son.

"But Timothy said..." Freddie began.

"Timothy is under a great deal of stress at the moment," she said. Which in no way excused the way that he had spoken to her son. Freddie might not be the brightest person in the world, but he had always been loyal to the Cause and was willing to do what he thought was right. She just wished that she had been able to say the same thing about her other two children, but they had done nothing but brought shame on the family.

"He said that father was carrying out his orders by not doing anything about her," he said.

"Your father isn't well at the moment," Louisa said. Her husband seemed to be having a major crisis of faith and was currently staying elsewhere until he decided that she had made the choice by sacrificing Elizabeth for his advancement in the Cause. "So we shouldn't bother him with this," she added. The only thing that telling Frederick would do would be to make him even more determined not to return to the Cause. He had to come back, though, because people were starting to avoid her. She had not spent her whole life working for the Cause only to be thrown out just as her family was about to reach the highest levels of it.

"Yes mother," Freddie said, "do you think that I should take care of her son as well."

"No, I'll do it," she replied. It would prove to all those people who were avoiding her that she was as loyal the Cause as she had ever been. It was just a pity that she wouldn't be able to see the look on Elizabeth's face when she saw the body of her son. "In fact, it will be a pleasure to do it," she added, "and I don't want you to worry about anything." He'd always been very nervous as a child, and she had been able to use that to mould into the man she had wanted him to grow up to be. Even now his only purpose in life was to try and please her.

"What about Joseph?" he asked, "I know where he is."

"You do what you have to," Lousia replied. Soon he would be her only child.

 

So that was one of Anne's brothers, Joel thought, well, he couldn't see the resemblance. He had to admit that he did have a few questions for the man, such as why he hadn't been in touch with her before now. There were bound to have been times in the past when Anne could really have used her brother's help. However, she seemed to have welcomed him back with open arms so it wasn't really his place to say anything, but if he saw any sing of that man hurting Anne then he would get involved whether she wanted him to or not. Anne had been hurt a great many times in the past from what she had told him, and he wasn't going to let anyone else hurt her. She didn't always make it easy for him to protect her though, she could be damned stubborn when she wanted to be and she didn't always listen to advice when she was given it. Yet she seemed to have a knack of turning any given situation to her advantage.

He was going to find it hard to keep his temper when she told him who Henri's father, but he knew that she wouldn't want him to get angry. Anne had had the past thirty years to come to terms with what had happened to her, that was if it was ever possible for someone to do that. She'd been little more than a child when Henri had been conceived and the world had been a very different place back then. The fact that she had gone on to make a success of her life showed that she was strong, and it was probably that same strength that had kept her going while she had been undercover with the Sisters of Purity. He wasn't sure whether he would want her to go undercover for that long again, because he would spend the whole time worrying about whether he would ever see her again or not. However, he couldn't ask her to give up doing something that she loved, and more than she would ask him to give up defusing bombs.

 

He should have been in there because it was his mom, Henri thought, and he had the right to know what was being said. If she didn't come out soon then he was going to go in there and demand to be told what was going on. By rights she should have been being checked out at the hospital rather than giving a statement. He'd been shot while wearing a kevlar vest and knew just how much it hurt afterwards, she could have cracked ribs or anything. And why was the guy still hanging around, he hadn't liked the way that he'd hugged his mom at all. It was bad enough that she was going to marry Joel without there being another man in her life as well. As he was rapidly learning there was a great deal more to his mom than he'd ever thought. He'd always assumed that she lived a pretty quiet life when he wasn't with her, only she didn't.

"She's still in there," he said when Blair joined him at his desk. "Any idea what they're talking about?" he added. Ellison was bound to have told him what was going on.

"No," Blair replied, "All I know is that Jim didn't want me in there so it has to be pretty serious."

"Someone did try and kill her," Henri reminded him. When he found out who'd pulled the trigger he would make them pay for threatening his mom's life.

"It was a good thing that she was wearing a vest," Blair said.

"I didn't even know that she was," he admitted. He certainly hadn't been able to tell that she had been wearing one. Still, his mom had probably suspected that someone might try and kill her. He wished that she'd told him that so he could have done something to try and protect her. "That guy is a writer," he added, looking at James.

"He wrote "The Death of Mead Perkins," Blair said, "that book gave me nightmares."

"Why?" Henri asked. He would have thought that there would be very little that would scare Hairboy after working with Jim all this time.

"The sheer brutality that one person can be put through," Blair replied.

"How did he die?" he asked. Not that he had any intentions of reading the book.

"He was lynched," Blair replied.

"They beat him first and burned down his home," Anne said from behind him.

"You knew this Mead Perkins?" Henri asked.

"I knew the person he was based on," she replied, "but that was a very long time ago."

"Why didn't you tell me that?" he asked. For her to have remembered the event it must have been a pretty big one in her childhood. "Is..." he started to add.

"Honey bear, your father is 100% white all the way back to the Mayflower," Anne replied, "and we're going to talk about his later today."

"Why not now?" Henri asked.

"Because this isn't the place to talk about it, that's why," she snapped.

"Okay," he said. Something had obviously upset her, because she rarely snapped at him. He wanted to find out what it was, but he suspected that it would only upset her more.

"All you need to know for the moment is that I love you and never for one second did I ever think about giving you up," Anne said, "it's important that you remember that no matter what anyone says."

"Why would anyone want to say otherwise?" he asked.

"Because they would hurt you to get to me," she replied.

"You're going to do something, aren't you," he said. She had the same determined look in her eyes as she'd had the day that she'd gone to see the Principal of his high school about the way that some of the teachers were treating him, the Principal had never stood a chance against his mom.

"I'm not going to answer that on the grounds that you will tell me that it's a bad idea," Anne replied, "but don't worry I'll be very careful."

 

He'd let Elizabeth down again, Frederick thought. She'd expected to take a stand and he hadn't. However, he had taken a huge step back in order to gather his thoughts. What Timothy was doing now went well beyond what the Cause believed. It was one thing to want to strip an entire race of people of their rights, but a totally different one to try and destroy the evidence of the crimes that you had committed against children. Now he had no choice but to try and stop Timothy before he killed anyone else. If he went to the appropriate authorities there was no guarantee that they would get here in time. In fact, at the moment there was only one person that he could trust to do anything and that was Elizabeth. No matter how angry and disappointed she might be with him, he knew that there was no way that she would allow innocent children to be harmed, although, he wasn't sure what she would be able to do on her own, but it had be more than he could do.

Louisa was no doubt never going to forgive him for this, but he didn't care. For far too long he had allowed her to dictate what happened to their family. In return two of his children had been banished, one was a weak fool and the youngest lost to him forever. Not even Louisa knew that their youngest child had been born alive. In order to protect his secret he'd had to convince her that the child had been stillborn. The only person who knew where Henri was, was the doctor who had arranged his adoption. Not even his son's new family had known the truth about his background, it had been for their safety. He could only hope that his youngest son had grown up to be a decent man, something that he had never been.

 

"She is one hell of a woman," Simon said. It was easy to see why Joel had not only fallen in love with her, but had asked her to marry him.

"If she's right we have a serious problem," Jim said, "so what are we going to do about it?"

"I'm not sure," he replied. Both legally and morally they had to do something. Anne might not have said the word, it was obvious to him how Henri had been conceived. How the hell did you tell your child something like that. "We could start by trying to find timothy Mackenna," he added. It shouldn't be that hard to find the man considering the fact that he was on the news most days. Arresting him was when they would have serious problems though. A man like Mackenna would have an army of high priced lawyers to bail him out of trouble and demand that his rights were protected. However, it was Mackenna's followers that he was most concerned about, because there was no telling what they would do when they discovered the charges that he would be facing.

"And once we've found him?" Jim asked.

"We are not going to break the law," Simon replied. Doing that would only serve to drag his department down to Mackenna's level and he'd be damned if he was going to let that happen.

"H shouldn't be involved with this," Jim said, "he's too close to it."

"That would rule Joel out for the same reason," he said. However, they were going to need every officer that he could get if they were going to arrest Mackenna.

"Joel will stay calm under pressure, can you say the same for Henri?" Jim asked.

"No," he admitted.

"I'm going to keep Blair well away from this," Jim said.

"He does have a habit of finding trouble," Simon said, not that it was always the kid's fault.

"He really likes Anne, wishes that she was his mom," Jim said.

"Considering what he got you can't blame him," he said.

 

"I'm Joseph, Beth… I mean Anne's brother," James said, "and you must be her fiancé."

"Why do you say that?" Joel asked.

"Because you're watching every move that she makes," he replied. Only someone who really cared about Bethie would be this worried for her.

"I did offer to go in with her, but..." Joel began.

"She can be very stubborn when she wants to be," James said, "it used to drive Louisa mad." He'd stopped referring to that woman as his mother a long time ago. "Bethie only had to do the slightest thing wrong and she would be punished." He'd lost count of the number of times that he'd taken the blame for something that Bethie had done, but Lousia seemed to have a rabid hatred of her.

"Punished?" Joel said.

"I don't think that I should go into that without talking to Bethie first," he said. It looked as if he might have gone and said something that he shouldn't have.

"Until recently Anne's never told me anything about her childhood," Joel said, "I'd really like to know what happened to her."

"Louisa demanded perfection from us all the time," James said, "we were supposed to set an example to the others. Needless to say she was always disappointed with us. Freddie on the other hand was the perfect son, he never questioned anything." That was how their elder brother had ended up being so high up in the Cause.

"What did she do to Anne?" Joel asked.

"She constantly picked on her, belittled anything that she did, made her wear grey all the time," he replied, "the violence started later." He could still remember the first time that Louisa had hit Bethie, and the utter shock that she could do something like that without their father trying to stop her. "Freddie would make things up just to get her punished." If he ever saw his brother again he would beat the crap out of him, that was if Bethie didn't do it first. Freddie should pay the ultimate price for having treated her so badly all those years ago, and he was more than willing to give her a rock solid alibi if she needed one.

"And you just left her there to suffer like that?" Joel asked. "Didn't you think about getting her out of there?"

"I thought about it every single day for a long time," James admitted, "but I was sixteen and there was no way that they would have let me back in the house, let alone take Bethie with me. The next thing I'm being told is that she's dead. It's taken me thirty years to find her." There had been times when he had feared that he would either never find her or that someone would kill her before he'd had the chance to tell her that he was sorry for having let her down all those years ago.

 

James had warned her to be careful and she'd thought that she had been, Hope thought, but obviously she hadn't been careful enough, because she'd been grabbed and thrown into the back of a van. While she didn't know for certain who had grabbed her she had a pretty good idea. No doubt, they were planning to use her as some sort of bargaining chip with James, only that wasn't going to work, because he wasn't the sort of man who would give in to blackmail. Once they realised that she wasn't going to be of any use to them they would kill her. This was precisely the sort of thing that both James and her had been expecting to happen for some time. Now that it had she wasn't sure what she could do to try and get herself out of the situation that she was in.
Her abductors weren't going to make it easy for her to escape. So she was just going to have to try and lull them into a false sense of security. She'd heard brief snatches of conversation that James had had with one of his contacts and it had sounded to her as if Timothy Mackenna was going to do something major and soon. This could be her chance to find out what he was planning to do. She might not be able to stop him, but she could certainly try and though a huge spanner in the works. Now that might really be worth dying for, not that she had any intention of dying just yet. There was a certain detective that she was hoping that would call her. James wanted her to have a life outside of campaigning, but it wasn't easy to have a relationship with anyone, because she and James were constantly on the move. The last time that she'd had a permanent home had been when she'd been a police officer. It might be nice to be able to put down roots again, and she might be able to do that if the Cause was brought down. However, there were still other organisations for her and James to speak out against.

 

This was all Elizabeth's fault, Timothy thought, watching the screen as women and children cowered in fear. If she had just kept her mouth shut he would have been able to leave everyone in peace. Now he was going to have a great deal of blood on his hands. Still, his followers were not going to be too happy with him when they found out what he'd done with those girls. He'd broken just about every rule that he expected his followers to live by. He was also going to have to deal with Elizabeth again and soon, before she had a chance to cause any more problems for him. Frederick was not going to be too happy about that, but even his friend would have to accept the fact that he was simply putting the Cause first. Without him at it's helm it would rapidly turn from a well run organisation into just another hate group.

"Hello Frederick," he said, when the door behind him opened, "I've been expecting you."

"You have to stop this," Frederick said, "it's not right, they're just children."

"They are the biggest threat that this organisation has ever faced," Timothy said, "they could destroy us."

"No, they could destroy you, there's a big difference," Frederick said.

"I suppose that if I don't stop that you're going to try and make me," he said. There was nothing that Frederick could either say or do that would make him change his mind about the plan that he'd put into action.

"We're all going to be branded as murderers," Frederick said.

"My friend, you're going t soft in your old age," Timothy said, "this is going to be a glorious new beginning for the Cause, with all the mistakes of the past wiped out." He wasn't entirely sure that he could call Frederick his friend any longer, but he was prepared to give him the benefit of doubt for the moment.

"All your mistakes, not mine or anyone else's," Frederick said, "what you've done is sick and perverted. Nowhere in the charter does it say that we have the right to abuse children. You've been using me and the others to hide your crimes for years, well no more, it stops here and now."

"You knew what I was doing all along and you turned a blind eye to it. In my opinion that makes you just as guilty as me," Timothy said. Not that he really thought that he had done anything wrong. He'd just used his right as a member of the master race to take what would have been his eventually.

"Perhaps I am," Frederick admitted, "but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to do something about it now. And you can be sure that Elizabeth will as well."

"She is being taken care of as we speak," Timothy said, "unfortunately, she seems to have more lives than a cat." He should have known that Freddie would screw it u, but that really didn't matter, because there was more than enough evidence to convict him of the first shooting to make everyone think that he had decided to finish off the job that he had started.

"Killing Elizabeth is only going to make your problems worse," Frederick said, "she's smart enough to have made sure that if anything happens to her that evidence of what you've done is made public. Why don't you let me go talk to her, see if I cant persuade her to hand it over."

"How do I know that I can trust you?" he asked. Frederick had a very strong motive to see him exposed.

"Because I've never lied to you," Frederick replied, "I know all your secrets and could have exposed you any time that I wanted to."

"And what do you get out of this?" he asked. Nobody did anything for nothing these days.

"You leave her and her son alone," Frederick replied, "and you let those women and children go. They don't know who kidnapped them. If you do the right thing you could end up being a hero on the eyes of the public."

"A hero," Timothy said, "I like the sound of that, but I want the evidence in my hands before I let them go." Even then he might decide to change his mind at the last minute.

"Don't worry you'll have it," Frederick assured him.


Her son might have failed, but she wasn't going to, Louisa thought. At long last the spectre of shame than had hung over her family for the past thirty years was about to be lifted. She was going to get a great deal of pleasure from seeing the look in her daughter's eyes when she realised what was about to happen to her. This one act was going to show Timothy and the other members of the Cause that she was just as loyal as she had always been and that in no way did her husband speak for her. Frederick could do whatever he wanted from now on, because she was going to divorce him. Their marriage had been on shaky ground for some time now, but if she was being honest with herself she doubted that she had ever loved Frederick. However, marrying him had been a very smart move on her part, because she had been able to shape his future and hers along with it. From behind the scenes she had been able to shape the policies of the Cause, but she wasn't content to be in the shadows any longer. There was a great deal of good that she could do for the Cause if she was allowed to play a more public role. Getting rid of one of Timothy's greatest enemies would make sure that she got that role. He wouldn't be able to deny her anything once he knew what she'd done for him.

"Elizabeth," she said. Even saying her daughter's name made her stomach turn, and to think that she had given birth to such a traitorous creature.

"Mother," Anne said, "I wish that I could say that this is a pleasant surprise, but it's not."

"The feeling is mutual," Lousia said. It wasn't helped by the fact that her daughter bore such a strong resemblance to her.

"I suppose that you're going to tell me what a dreadful disappointment I've been to you," Anne said, "well, I don't care what you think. I stopped caring abut that a long time ago."

"At least you're admitting the truth now," she said, "both you and Joseph have been grave disappointments to me. I gave you everything and just look at how you repaid me, you slept with one of them. Timothy was prepared to give your father the Vice Presidency..."

"Let's get one thing straight, he raped me," Anne said, "you deserve to be sitting in a cell for colluding with him, but I should have known that your husband would bail you out."

"He didn't," Lousia replied, "Your brother Frederick did."

"Good for him," Anne said, "what you should be asking yourself is that if Timothy's the father of my son why isn't Henri white?"

"That is none of my concern," she said. The question had never even entered her mind, not even after Frederick had told her about the child that Elizabeth had given birth to. "What does concern me are the lies that you are still telling about a good and decent man." she added.

"Good and decent men don't rape children," Anne said, "or are you stupid enough to think that I'm his only victim? Maybe you set some of the others up as well?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Louisa said. Timothy would never do such a terrible thing, not when there were so many women in the Cause who would be only too willing to give themselves to him.

"I don't have time for this," Anne said, "I'm going to stop him and make sure that neither he or you can hurt anyone ever again."

"I can't let you do that," she said, producing a gun, "I wish that I could say that this isn't personal, but it is. With you gone things will get back to normal."

"They were never normal to begin with," Anne snapped, "you're not normal. If you pull the trigger you're going to be killing yourself as well, it's a one way ticket to Death Row for cop killers in this state."

"I don't care," Lousia said, "I'll be a martyr for the Cause." She would be held up as a shining example of what women could achieve if they put their minds to it. Elizabeth probably thought that she didn't have the guts to pull the trigger, but she did. "I'm going to do it," she added, tightening her finger on the trigger.

"No, you're not," Anne said, lunging and disarming her. "You're under arrest and when Freddie comes to bail you out he'll be arrested as well."

"I'll soon be out," she said confidently. She had friends who would bail her out.

"Think that if you like, you're going to be disappointed when that doesn't happen," Anne said, pocketing the gun before slipping handcuffs onto her mother, "Now start walking, because it's a block to the station."

"I insist that you call a cab," Louis said.

"Insist all you want, it's not going to happen," Anne said, pushing her in the direction of the station, "you know, I'm probably setting some sort of record by arresting you twice." she added.



He was taking a big risk by coming here, Freddie thought, getting into the lift, but this was where his contact had told him that Joseph had come. No doubt, his brother was busy making false allegations about Timothy and the Cause. Well, that was all going to stop in a few minutes. He might even have time to take care of Elizabeth's son while he was here. Naturally, he would be arrested, but he could afford to hire a lawyer who would get him off by claiming that he hadn't been in his right mind at the time. His mother had told him to do this, and she would be so proud of him afterwards. However, his wife was not going to be too happy if this imposed on their daughter's wedding. Still, she was marrying into a family that had supported the Cause for almost as long as his had. This was precisely the sort of thing that would help his future son-in-law to rise to the upper echelons of the Cause.

It had been thirty years since he'd last seen his brother in the flesh, but he'd seen him on television speaking out against the Cause, so he wasn't going to have any trouble recognising him. Fortunately for him Joseph didn't seem to recognise him at all, he thought, getting out of the life. He was going to have to tell him who he was so that he would know who had killed him and why. It had been so easy to get the knife into the station, he might have screwed up when it had come to killing Elizabeth, but he wasn't going to screw up this time. A knife was a much more personal weapon, and he'd used a knife a great deal in the past.

"Joseph Curtis," he said, walking up to his brother, "you are a traitor." He then pulled out the knife that he had in his pocket. "You have been found guilty and you will be..." He then found himself on the floor in a great deal of pain.

"Freddie, didn't anyone ever tell you that it was dangerous to play with knives?" James asked, one of feet was pressing down hard on the hand the knife was in.

"My name is Frederick not Freddie," he said. He hated being called Freddie and Joseph had always taken a great deal of delight in calling him that when they'd been children.

"You're not going to be punishing anyone today, or any other day," Joseph said, "all you're going to be doing for the foreseeable future is staring at four grey walls. That is unless you decide to co operate with these nice detectives and tell them where Timothy is holding the women and children he had kidnapped."

"Go to hell," Freddie snapped. He wasn't going to tell anyone anything that could be used against either Timothy or the Cause.

"I've already been there and back," James smiled, "Maybe I should just hand you over to Henri, I'm sure that he'd be delighted to show you what happens when you try to kill his mother."

"You wouldn't," he said.

"Wouldn't I?" James asked, "it's up to you, but co-operating might just save your sorry ass from getting the crap beaten out of it."

 

This was rapidly becoming a habit, Anne thought, handing Louisa over to the booking sergeant, along with the gun that she had taken off her. In order to protect both Joel and Henri's sanity, not to mention their blood pressure she wasn't going to tell them that she hadn't been wearing a vest when she had disarmed Louisa. She'd had no choice but to disarm her, because she would have short if she hadn't. At least the woman wouldn't pose any sort of threat to her for the next couple of hours, perhaps longer with any luck. However, Freddie was still out there and there was no doubt at all in her mind that if he got another chance to kill her he would take it. Well, she didn't intend to give him that chance. She was determined to live long enough to see her grandchildren grow up, not that she had any at the moment. Still, once she had persuaded Henri ask Joseph's assistant out she would be one step closer to becoming a grandmother. Most women her age looked on grandmotherhood with horror, but she didn't. Henri was an only child, it would have been nice to have had more children, but it had taken quite a while for her and Joel to build their relationship up to the point where she had felt comfortable enough to sleep with him. As soon as things had settled down she was going to book them a table at nice restaurant and afterwards she would make up for all the love that they had missed out on over the past year. No doubt Henri would have something to say about her spending the night with Joel, but he was going to have an even bigger one when she told him that she was going to be moving in with Joel. She had never lived with anyone apart from her son since she'd left home. It would take some getting used to compromising over things, but she knew that Joel wouldn't have asked her to move in with him unless he'd given it a great deal of thought first. It would probably be strange at first waking up next to the man that she loved every morning, but it was something that she was really looking forward to. However, she still had to decide what she was going to about a job, there was only so much good will that Captain Banks would be willing to extend to her. Joel would know which departments had openings for a detective with her qualifications, but she wanted to work somewhere that she could make a big difference to people's lives. Henri would try insisting that she take some dull desk job, but she needed to be where the action was. although, she was willing to cut down on the amount of undercover work that she did from now on so that she could spend time with Joel.

"She said that she'd be out in a couple of hours and just look at who came to bail her out," she said, walking over to where her father was stood, "I thought that we had a deal?" Still, she should have known better than to expect him to keep it.

"We do, and that's why I'm here," Frederick replied, "Timothy's gone and done something terrible."
"Since when hasn't he done something terrible?" Anne asked.

"Elizabeth, this it worse than anything that he' done in the past," he said, "and I need your help to stop it."

"First Freddie tried to kill me, then Louisa and now you come begging for my help," she snapped, "right now I wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire." He had some nerve wanting her help.

"Your mother and I are separated," he said, "and I have never been able to control Freddie. I wouldn't ask for your help if it wasn't urgent."

"I suggest that you go and talk to Captain Banks of Major Crimes," Anne said, "and then I might be interested in talking to you." Only if he could prove that was he was saying was true though.

"What about Timothy's other victims?" Frederick asked, "are you going to turn your back on them just because you're angry with me?"

"I'm not angry with you," she replied, "I hate you. If you were any sort of father you would have gone after Timothy for what he did to me." If anyone had tried hurting her son like that then they wouldn't have been breathing for long afterwards. "And how many times have you helped him to get away with the same thing?" she added. He could have put a stop to Timothy's activities along time ago if he'd chosen to, but he hadn't.

"What floor is Major Crimes on?" Frederick asked.

"The sixth," she replied, "I was just going up there."

"Perhaps you could introduce me to Captain Banks," he suggested.

"And what makes you think that I would want to do that," Anne said, heading towards the stairs.

 

"There's certainly no love lost between the two of you, is there?" Henri asked.

"No, there's not," James replied, "and I've wanted to do that for a long time, and I don't feel guilty about doing it either."

"Would you have really turned him over to me and Joel?" he asked.

"Probably not," James admitted, "it would have meant sinking down to his level and no one with any sense wants to do that."

"He's your brother," Henri said. If he'd had a brother he would have tried not to hate him no matter what he did.

"Son, he hasn't been my brother for a long time," James said, "and even when he was we weren't that close. He believes every word that Timothy Mackenna says, always has done and that makes him dangerous."

"An attempted murder charge should keep him in a cell for a while," he said. Long enough for him to insist that his mom went into a safe house, not that she would want to go into one, because she thought that it was her job to try and set the whole world to rights. What she didn't seem to understand was that she could get seriously hurt doing that.

"Not for as long as you think," James said, "he'll have an alibi worked out, and the Cause has some pretty high-powered lawyers working for it."

"Including your father?" Henri asked.

"Frederick Curtis is a hypocrite," James said, "I figured that out at a very early age. No matter how much you want to keep something a secret the truth will always get out."

"What about my mom?" Henri asked. This was her brother so he had to know what had happened to her during her childhood, he might even know who his father was.

"Your mother is an amazing person," James said, "always has been. I have to admit that I was more than a little worried about how she might have done over the years."

"Because of me," he said. While growing up he'd heard some of the names that his mom had been called and had wanted to hit out at the people who had called her them. However, his mom had told him that would just get him into serious trouble.

"Not only because of you," James replied, "Bethie bore the brunt of Louisa's anger. I know that it's probably had a big effect on the person she's turned out to be."

"My mom is a good person," Henri said, "I know that she gave up a lot to raise me."

"Then you're very lucky, because not everyone in Bethie's position has done so well," James said.
"What about my father?" he asked, "do you know who he is?"

"Yes, but I promised your mother than I wouldn't tell you," James said, "she will tell you when she's ready to, but you should remember that she has always loved you, put you first even back then."

"How do you know that?" Henri asked.

"She took you with her when she ran away, that's how I know," James said, "and when they beat her she would try to protect her stomach, because you were in there."

 

Elizabeth had every right to be angry with him, Frederick thought, getting out of the lift when it reached the sixth floor, but her hadn't know what either Freddie or Louisa had been planning to do. If he had even suspected that they were up to something then he would have contacted Elizabeth and warned her. As it was she was in a great deal of danger from Timothy and his followers, but she probably already knew that. However, at the moment she wasn't going to believe anything that he told her, not that he could blame her. He hadn't exactly been a good father in the past, he'd been too concerned with protecting his own secret to make sure that this children didn't suffer. Now there was no way that he could possibly make up for all the mistakes that he'd made in the past, but he could hopefully try and stop Timothy from hurting anyone else. If he had to get a gun and kill Timothy in order to do that then he would. Just being here marked him out as being a traitor and that carried a very heavy punishment. If either Timothy or one of his followers didn't kill him then there was a very good chance that he could end up in jail for his role in Timothy's crimes. Yet, it had come to point where he really didn't care about what happened to him, Louisa would have to sink or swim on her own because he wasn't going to bail her out. She would still have been sitting in a cell if Freddie hadn't bailed her out. His marriage to Louisa hadn't been right for a long time, and she'd always been a lot more interested in climbing the power ladder than he had. Perhaps if he had been a stronger person things would have been very different, but he hadn't been and what better way of hiding than to place himself in the middle of his enemies. Not once during all the years that he had been involved in the Cause had anyone even suspected that he wasn't what he claimed to be, but then he hadn't given anyone reason to think that.

He was well aware of the fact that everyone was watching him as he entered the Bullpen. The knew who he was, but not why he was here. Well, they were going to be surprised to learn that he was here to hand them Timothy Mackenna and the leadership of the Cause. His files contained enough information to make sure that a lot of people spent the rest of their lives in jail. He would no doubt be disbarred for breaking client confidentiality, but for the first time in his life he would be doing the right thing. When he'd left home all those years ago it had been so that he could make a better life for himself. He had, only he'd ended up paying a very high price for it. Countless lives had been destroyed because of his turning a blind eye to what had been going on. Right now, his parents were probably spinning in their graves at what he'd done. If there was any way for him to go back and change things he would have done it. Hopefully he would be able to apologise to them when he died. Although, he was expecting to go straight to hell for what he'd done and he wouldn't be the only member of his family going there.

 

All these women were Timothy Mackenna's victims, Hope thought, looking around the room that she was in, the children that he had raped and their children. Now it was starting to become all too clear what was going to happen to these people, he was going to kill them so that the truth of what he'd done wouldn't come out. Surely, he wasn't stupid enough to think that no one would connect him with all the disappearances that had taken place, especially when the bodies started turning up. This was what all those phone calls James had received had been about. She was in serious trouble and she couldn't see any way of not only getting herself out of it but everyone else as well. If the people who'd grabbed her thought that she was just going to roll over and die then they were going to be very disappointed, because she was going to put up one hell of a fight. However, she suspected that none of the others here was capable of doing that, not even if it meant them protecting their children. There were so many of them, more than she'd imagined that there would be from the rumors she'd heard. Judging from the children's ages Mackenna had to have been committing this dreadful crimes for years, but there seemed to be a lot of children under five.

Admittedly the Cause did have a lot of powerful followers, but that still didn't explain how he had been able to get away with it for so long without anyone asking questions, or perhaps someone had asked questions and he'd had them killed just like he had had her father killed. No matter what Mackenna and his followers did to her James wouldn't stop until he'd gotten to the truth and the people who'd hurt her had been brought to justice. It was sad to think that James was the only person who would miss her if she died, but it wasn't easy to make friends when you were constantly on the move. As for dating it had been a long while since she'd last been on one. Even guys who were in the same line of work didn't always understand that they weren't going to come first all the time, and they certainly didn't understand her relationship with James. Since her father had been murdered James had taken care of her and anyone that she got involved with was going to have to accept that fact. Not that she would ever be involved with anyone again if she was killed.

 

"Let me get this straight," Simon said, "you want to help us arrest Timothy Mackenna." The man sitting opposite him had to have an ulterior motive and he wanted to know what it was. "Why?" he added.

"Because he's going to kill children," Frederick replied, "I can tell you where to find him and how many men he has with him."

"You'll understand if I don't believe what you're saying without checking it out first," he said. For all he knew this could turn out to be some sort of set up and he wasn't going to risk any of his people's lives until he was confident that it wasn't.

"Timothy has broken just about every rule that the Cause has," Frederick said, "someone has to stop him."

"You could do that yourself," Simon said.

"He doesn't trust me anymore," Frederick admitted, "Elizabeth has evidence that could send him straight to the electric chair. She said that I had to talk to you before she would even consider helping me."

"I wonder why that was," he said. After hearing her give her statement he could why she would be reluctant to help anyone connected with Timothy Mackenna, including her own father.

"So my daughter hates me," Frederick said, "I hate myself, but I want to do the right thing now. As soon as I've done it I'll be out of her and her son's lives unless she decides otherwise."

"I sat and listened while she gave a statement," Simon said, "and I can't think of a single reason not to arrest you right now."

"Go ahead, I'll still co operate," Frederick said, "just by coming here I'm a dead man, so there's not a great deal else that you can do to me, and we really don't have time to waste. I persuaded Timothy to wait until I'd gotten the evidence from Elizabeth, but there's no guarantee that he will."

"I see," Simon said, "you do realize that by co operating it doesn't mean that you'll be able to cut a deal with the DA" He didn't want Curtis thinking that was going to happen, because it wasn't.

"Captain Banks, I know how the system works," Frederick said, "I'm willing to put in writing that I'm not expecting a deal out of this."

"Before I do anything I'm going to need to make a few phone calls," he said.

"A word of advice," Frederick said, standing up, "be very careful who you trust. The Cause has a lot of followers in the police department. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you before you've had a chance to arrest Timothy."

"Don't worry about me, I can take care of myself," he said. As if he would be willing to take any advice from a man like Frederick Curtis. However, he would be careful and make sure that none of his detectives were put at risk by bad information.

"You've got the address, check it out," Frederick said, tossing a piece of paper at Simon. He then left the office.

 

"Mom, you shouldn't go wandering off," Henri said, "because your father is here."

"I know," Anne replied, "that's why I took the stairs instead of the lift, but let's not talk about him."

"So what do you want to talk about?" he asked. Now would probably be a good time to suggest that she went into a safe house.

"You calling your uncle's assistant and asking her out to dinner," she replied.

"She seemed more interested in talking to you than me," Henri said. There had to be a reason why his mom was so interested in his social life all of a sudden and he wanted to know what it was.

"Call her, she's interested, and I think that she would be perfect for you," Anne said.

"Okay, what's going on?" he asked.

"Nothing," she replied, "she's very nice and it's about time that you thought about settling down."

"I'm only thirty," he protested, "are you sick?" he added.

"Honey bear, I'm not sick," Anne assured him, "and I have no intention of working undercover again at the moment, but I might in the future."

"Then what..." he began.

"Joel's asked me to move in with him," she replied, "and I'm going to."

"You're moving in with Joel!" he exclaimed, "are you sure that's a good idea?" He knew that his mom was going to marry Joel, but he hadn't given a great deal of thought about the living arrangements. "I thought that you would be getting your own place first."

"There's not a lot of point in my renting somewhere when Joel has plenty of space at his place," Anne said, "but it's going to be a few days before I move in and we'll still be able to spend plenty of time together."

"I'm still getting used to the fact that you're getting married," Henri admitted, "now you're going to be moving in with him."

"Try to be happy for me," Anne said, "you don't need me all the time. Now it's my turn to have a life, I'm sorry if you think that I'm being selfish, but this is something that I have to do for me."

"Does this mean that you're going to start acting your age?" he asked.

"Afraid not," she replied, "I intend to grow old very disgracefully."

 

If you wanted something doing properly then you have to do it yourself, Timothy thought, because if you left it up to other people they would either screw things up or betray you. He'd given Frederick more than enough time to get the evidence from Elizabeth, but it was now perfectly clear that his friend had no intention of doing that. Once again the man who he had considered to be his best friend and strongest ally had betrayed him. He had given Frederick more chances than anyone else to prove his loyalty to him, and he hadn't. Because of his friendship with Frederick, he had stayed away from Elizabeth and her son when he could have destroyed them as she posed a huge threat to him. For a long time he had been able to avoid detection, then a long had come D.N.A testing, now all it needed was a simple blood test and he would be exposed. Not even his most fanatical followers would believe that he had done it to ensure that those girls couldn't tempt anyone else the way that they had tempted him. They had all brought their fate on themselves by being there when his needs had needed fulfilling, and none of them had fought to stop him from doing what he'd wanted with them. Now they would go to their deaths passively. There was only one of them who had ant fight in her and she wasn't going to be a problem. When he had finished his work her he would take care of Elizabeth himself to make sure that she really died. If he had to make a hasty exit from the country then that wasn't going to be a problem because he had money hidden away, more than enough for him to live a pretty lavish lifestyle for some years to come. There were plenty of places that didn't have extradition treaties with the US, once he was somewhere like that there was very little that the authorities would be able to do to get him back into the country. Naturally, some people would be shocked when they discovered that he had been helping himself to the Cause's money for decades. It had been simple enough to do, besides, the Cause owed him everything. He's spent his entire life devoted to it, had married a woman that he didn't love in order to run it. Still, there would be other organisations that he could take over and run, ones with more money that he could help himself to. With enough money anything was possible, he could reinvent himself and never have to worry about being arrested for something that he had done in the past. The only thing that he was going to regret was not being there when the bodies were found, because he would be going down in history, but for the wrong reasons. Yet no one would forget his name in a hurry.

 

He couldn't help himself, he just had to say something, James thought, but it was going to take a great deal of strength not to gloat over the misfortune that had befallen his old family.

"How can you live with yourself after what you've done?" he asked, "With what she did to Bethie?" He was very interested in what his father's answer would be. "You don't even recognise me, do you?" he added.

"No," Frederick admitted, "and you have no right to judge me."

"I have every right and so does Bethie," James replied, "I'm just surprised that she can stand to be in the same room as you." His sister was obviously a very strong person to have fought the urge to take out her gun and shoot their father. "You should be sitting in a cell for what you've done," he added, "maybe they'll give you one next to Louisa and Freddie."

"I know what they did," Frederick said, "but I didn't tell them to do it and I would never do anything to hurt Elizabeth."

"You hurt her when you beat her, when you called her a liar and a whore," he snapped. "then you allowed that man to keep coming to the house." If their father had cared for Elizabeth at all he would have done more to protect her.

"You're attracting attention to yourself," Frederick said, "and I'm sure that Elizabeth doesn't want everyone to know her personal business."

"I don't see her trying to stop me," James replied,. He'd told her that he wouldn't say anything about Henri's father, but he wasn't going to be able to stop himself. "and don't tell me that you didn't know what he did to her or about his other victims because I won't believe you." His father had been best friends with that man, so he had to have had some idea of what he was doing. "Unlike you I've never done anything to hurt her." If anything he had tried to protect Bethie from the worst of their parents anger while they'd been growing up.

"I'm here to help," Frederick said, "to stop Timothy from doing something even more terrible."

"The time to stop him was years ago, but you didn't," he said, "you are just as guilty as he is. The blood on his hands is on yours as well."

"I have never done the things that he has," Frederick protested.

"No," James asked, "I saw the look on your face when Peter Mead was murdered, it wasn't horror or disgust." His father might not think that he was guilty, but he was, surely as if he had put the noose around the man's neck himself.

"I regret that," Frederick admitted, "and I'm not proud of some of the things that I've done, but you had all the advantages that I never had, but you chose to turn your back on all that. Just like Elizabeth did, she could have gone onto great things if..."

"If she'd given her son up," he said, finishing his sentence for him. Why couldn't you have been the one to make sacrifices, why did it always have to be her?"

"She had a choice and she made it," Frederick replied, "if you don't want my help...."

"It's too late for you to help anyone, even yourself," James said, And you can't deny that you would rather Elizabeth had died a long time ago with her son rather than have them come back to haunt you. You certainly tried hard enough to kill them when she was pregnant."

"She brought disgrace on the family," Frederick snapped, "she had to be punished."

"You punished her for his crime," he said, "and I knew that it would only be a matter of time before you showed your true colors again." Now everyone could see the sort of man that they were dealing with, someone who wouldn't do the right thing unless it was to try and save his own neck. "If you had any decency at all you would have killed yourself a long time ago, the fact that you're still alive just proves that you don't have a decent bone in your body." he added.

"Suicide is a sin," Frederick said.

"So is raping children," James said.

 

Well, this wasn't how she had intended her son to find out, Anne thought, but it felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Even now she probably would never have had the courage to say some of those things to her father. Henri was going to have a lot of questions that he would want answering, but hopefully he would come to understand that she had chosen him over all the opposition that she had faced. During her pregnancy there had been times when she had thought that she would be killed. All she had ever wanted was for her parents to love her, but they never had and she had never been able to understand why that had been the case. She certainly hadn't been any worse behaved than her brothers, yet she'd been singled out time and time again for punishment,. It was also what had made her vow that she would never hit her child, she hadn't but there had been times when she had come close. She supposed that was the difference between her and her parents, she knew right from wrong. There was no way that she would ever have been able to use her son in order to get something that she wanted. Maybe now she would stop having the nightmares that had haunted her for so long. The first time that she had shared a bed with Joel had had woken up screaming in the middle of the night. He'd assumed that it had due to some case that she had been working on and it had been a lot easier to let him think that than tell him the truth. She'd been afraid that Joel knowing the truth would change the way that he felt about her, but it hadn't. To him she was still the same person that he had fallen in love with. However, some people were bound to wonder if she had done anything to lead Timothy on, she hadn't but she knew how people thought. Those same people were going to include cops, but there was no way that she was going to let them make her start guessing herself. For the past thirty years she had gone over everything that she had said and done that night at least a thousand times over to see if there had been anything that could have led Timothy to think that she had wanted him to do that. She hadn't done anything to prompt his actions towards her, and all of Timothy's other victims hadn't even known him so there was no way that they could be blamed for what had happened to them. Sometimes making a pact with the devil was the only option you had and as distasteful as it was she couldn't see any other way of saving Timothy's other victims.

"Where is he holding them?" she asked.

"Just outside of the city," Frederick replied, "Captain Banks has the address, but he's reluctant to act solely on my word."

"Can't say that I blame him," she said.

"Elizabeth, you have to convince him that I'm telling the truth," Frederick said.

"Before I do that there are a few things that I want from you first," Anne said.

"Anything you want," Frederick said, "what's mine you can have."

"Good, because I want it all," she smiled, "the house, the money, the Cause's membership list, and the current address of Henri, because I know that he's not dead."

"I don't know where he is," Frederick admitted, "the only person who is dead, but you can have everything else."

"Liar," she said, "you must know where he is, you knew where I was all this time, didn't you."

"That's different," he protested, "you were a threat..."

"A threat's probably one of the lesser things that I've been called over the years," Anne said, "so why don't you know where he is. After all, he is your son, your heir." She was going to get everything that she wanted from him, despite the fact that she was going to take down Timothy anyway.

"He was..." Frederick began.

"He was what?" she demanded, "why are you so afraid to say it. He was black."

"He wasn't," he protested, "there was a mix up at the hospital, he was adopted and they wouldn't tell me where he was."

"Really, well that should be easy enough to check up on," Anne smiled, "and I want it in writing that I get everything, try pulling a fast one and you'll be found dead in an alley." She didn't want the money and that for herself, for Timothy's other victims, and she was going to get a great deal of pleasure from seeing Louisa thrown out of her own home.

"You'll have it," he promised her.

"And what about Henri?" she asked, "he has a right to know where he comes from, but then you'll have yet another child who hates you."

"All I know is that he was adopted out of state, that his new family didn't know whose child he was. It was for their own safety," Frederick said.

"So we're not going to find any records?" she asked.

"No," he admitted.

"You know, it's so much easier to tell the truth than lie all the time," Anne said, "but lying a way of life for you isn't it?" Her father couldn't tell the truth even if it meant saving his own life.

 

So this was the supposedly great Timothy Mackenna, Hope thought, well, he didn't look all the great to her. If anything he looked like a coward and bully who tried to have other people backing him. It was a pity that she didn't have a gun, because she was more than willing to do the world a huge favor by killing him. James would say that fighting violence with violence was never a good idea, but sometimes you just didn't have any other choice. However, there was no need for her to lower herself to his level, because that was what he would be expecting. Still, no matter how low she sank, it would never be as low as him.

"There are more of us than there are of them," she said loudly. If she could somehow motivate the other women in the room then they all might stand some chance of getting out of this alive. She was willing to give it a try, but she couldn't do it on her own.

"Nobody gave you permission to talk," Timothy snapped.

"I don't need permission, especially off a criminal like you," Hope said, "by now people will know that I've gone missing." As soon as James realised that she was missing he would move heaven and earth to find her.

"Which is not going to do you a lot of good," he said, looking around the room, "because no one is ever going to see you again."

"The FBI are already looking for you," she liked, "You've left a trail of evidence a mile wide for them to follow." When it came down to it he hadn't been that smart at hiding his tracks.

"There won't be any evidence by the time that I've finished," Timothy boasted, "no evidence, no charges. So while I'm walking around a free man you'll be a rotting corpse."

"I don't think so," she said, "after all you can't have remembered very girl that you've raped, or have you?" There were probably so many of them that they had all blurred together over the years. All it would take was for one of his former victims to go to the police and he'd find himself sitting in a cell.

"I have never raped anyone," Timothy protested, "as a member of the superior race it's..."

"You're nothing more than a common criminal," she said. It looked as if she was starting to rattle him, he probably wasn't used to having people answer him back, least of all a woman. She might not be doing herself any favors, but she had never liked bullies. "You're going to jail like any other criminal," she added. He wouldn't serve that long thought, but at least he would be off the streets and he certainly wouldn't have an easy time of it when the other prisoners found out why he was in jail. If there was one thing that the majority of inmates hated it was someone who abused children, not even his Aryan buddies would want to have anything to do with him.

 

His father was, no he didn't have a father, Henri thought. It was better that he didn't have one rather than have to accept the fact that he had Timothy Mackenna's blood running through his veins. He supposed that he should say something to his mom, but he didn't know what. She'd been carrying around this terrible secret for thirty years in order to protect him. Did it really make all that much difference to the person he was knowing how he had been conceived. Probably not, he decided, because his mom had raised him to be a good and decent person. She was the major influence in his life not some man who had abused her. He couldn't even begin to imagine how scared she must have been that he would find her and hurt them both. A part of him could understand why she hadn't wanted him to know the truth, but he'd had a right to know before now.

There was a very real possibility that in the near future he could come face to face with Timothy Mackenna. He suspected that he might find it hard not to pull the trigger if the man made a move towards his mom. However, his mom wasn't the only victim of that man, the other deserved justice as well. Timothy Mackenna dying would bring them closure but very little else. People had no idea what the man was truly like and they needed to. He didn't want his mom to be hurt anymore though. She wasn't going to be happy if he tried to protect her thought, because she kept on insisting that she could take care of herself. Maybe she could, but this was something that he wanted to do for her. A lot of the things that she had done in the past suddenly made a lot of sense to him, the never talking about her past and making sure that no one could ever claim that she was a bad mother. There had certainly been a lot of people waiting for her to make a mistake so that they could take him away from her, but she had never given them reason to do that.

"Mom, you're the only parent I want," he said, hugging her. Anyone who tried to say something bad about her would soon learn that they weren't able to get away with it.

"I'm sorry that you had to find out this way," Anne said as he let go of her, "If you have any questions..."

"I don't," he replied. He did, but he suspected that asking them would just upset her and she'd already been through enough today.

"You have to promise me something," she said, "that you won't kill him. I don't want you going to jail is that clear."

"Yes mom," Henri said.

"He's not worth it," Anne said, "the important things is that he goes on trial for what he's done."

"What about him?" he asked, looking at Frederick.

"He's nobody," she replied, "I'm not going to waste another second thinking about him."

"If that's what you want," Henri said. Not that he could blame her, her father had done nothing but cause her pain so why would she want to have anything to do with him.

"It is," she smiled, "now we have some criminals to arrest."

"You don't have to go with us," he said. It would probably be a lot better if she didn't. Emotions were going to be running pretty high and there was nothing to stop Timothy Mackenna from trying to take advantage of the situation and kill her.

"I have to go," Anne said, "but don't worry I'll be very careful."

 

Now what, Timothy thought on hearing sirens. He didn't have time to deal with anything else because Miss Mouth had caused a revolt amongst his captives, now he was going to have to kill them himself as his followers had turned out to be cowards when faced with opposition from women and children. Well, he wasn't afraid to pull the trigger.

"I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it," he said when his office door was kicked in.

"So do I," Hope smiled, her face battered and bruised, "I strongly suggest that you put yours down before I pull the trigger, and believe me when I say that I really want to."

"You don't have the guts to," Timothy said. She was just a woman while he was a man, a very important one. Everyone knew that women were the weaker sex and that they should stay in their place.

"Don't I?" she asked, tightening her finger on the trigger, "I've shot better people than you in the past."

"That would be murder," he protested.

"After what you've done most people would think that it was self defense," Hope said, "in fact I would be doing the world a big favor by killing you."

"Maybe we could come to some sort of deal," he suggested. He was a very wealthy man and he was prepared to use that wealth to make sure that he didn't end up either in jail or six foot under in a pine box. "I have money..."

"You won't have by the time that all your victims have taken you to court for child support," she smiled, "and then there are the civil damages for rape, harassment. This is going to cost you and your precious cause a fortune, and just think about all the bad publicity. You know, you have some nerve suggesting that I might be willing to make some sort of deal with you."

"It was just a suggestion," Timothy said. As it had turned out a useless one, but that didn't mean that he had given up hope of getting out of this without him having to spend any time in a jail cell.

"Well, I have one for you," she smiled, "drop the gun, get on your knees and start praying that my finger doesn't slip."

"Anything you say, Sugar," he said, dropping his gun. Maybe it was time to start turning on the charm. Every woman liked to be flattered and she wasn't any different.

"Don't call me Sugar," Hope frowned, "I hate that name."

"How about Honey?" he asked.

"Just shut the fuck up because I didn't give you permission to speak," she snapped.

 

"I thought that you could use this," Joel said, hugging Anne, "you've always said that a hug could solve anything." Not in this case thought, Anne's secret had been revealed to everyone in the department. He couldn't even begin to imagine what it must be like for her.

"Thanks," she said, hugging him back ,"And I'll understand if you change your mind about wanting to marry me now that you know who he is."

"That is not going to happen," he assured her, "I'd be an idiot to throw away what we have because of something that happened a long time ago."

"If you're having second thoughts, that's okay," she said.

"Are you?" he asked.

"No," Anne replied, "but then I've had a lot longer to deal with this than you."

"I know what's in your heart, the sort of person you are," Joel said.

"We'd better catch up with the others," she said, letting go of him, "I don't want to miss any of the action."

"Promise me that you'll be careful," he said, releasing his hold on her. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Since when haven't I been careful?" she asked.

"Never," Joel admitted, but then he'd never seen

Anne on a raid before. Still, he was confident that everyone would watch her back.

"Well then," Anne smiled, "as soon as we've got this out of the way how about we go out to dinner and afterwards we can get a room."

"I think that we can do a lot better than a hotel room," he said, "but what are you going to tell Henri?"

"Anything I want to," she replied, "he's going to be too busy worrying about his own social life to worry about what I'm getting up to."

"Do I want to know what you're planning?" he asked. He'd learned that some times it was better not to know, because he might not approve.

"Joseph has this assistant, Hope, and she would be perfect for Henri," Anne replied, "he was already thinking of asking her out to dinner when I suggested it to him."

"Are you sure that it's a good idea to arrange his social life?" he asked. He could see there being problems if she did that.

"If I don't he won't," she replied, "as much as I love my Honey bear, he's not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to women."

"He doesn't seem to do too badly on his own," he said, "there are always women calling him."

"The wrong sort of women," Anne said.

 

Somewhere like this wasn't cheap to set up, Jim thought, but then the Cause had some pretty wealthy supporters.

"Chief, I want you to stay out here when we go in there," he said.

"But..." Blair began.

"I mean it, Chief," he said, "it's going to be pretty dangerous in there and I don't want anything happening to you."

"Anne's going in," Blair said, "it's not too dangerous for her."

"She's done this sort of thing before," he replied. At least, he was assuming that she had. Besides, they didn't know what they would find inside that building, Blair still took it pretty hard when he was faced with a dead body, and it was going to be ten times worse for his friend to deal with if there were dead kids. "The survivors are going to need someone to help them."

"Always assuming that there are any survivors," Blair said.

"Let's hope that there are," Jim said. He could hear multiple heartbeats, but there was no guarantee that their owners would still be alive by the time that he went into the building. "And don't worry I'm not going to let anything happen to Anne," he added.

"Both Joel and Henri would kill you if you did," Blair grinned.

"You know, Chief, she reminds me of you," he said, "trying to do the right thing no matter how painful it might be for her personally."

"I'll take that as a compliment," Blair said.

"I meant it as one," Jim said.

 

Nobody had told him that he couldn't tag along, James thought, so he had. He wouldn't have missed this for the world. Finally Bethie and all of Timothy's other victims were going to see justice being done. Hope would have loved to have been here, but she was a lot safer at home. If things got rough like he expected they would then he would be glad that she wouldn't see him using any violence. Not being able to protect Bethie all those years ago made him very protective of Hope, anyone who wanted to date her would have to be vetted by him first. He'd promised her father that he would always look after her and he intended to do that for as long as he was able to. At times though, he felt guilty that Hope's life was spent taking care of him and helping him with his work. She hadn't taken a vacation in a long time, so he would make her take one soon. However, once the Cause had been taken down his work wouldn't stop, Someone else would come along and take their place and then he would have to try and shut them down. There where times when it felt like a never ending job, but it was what he had devoted his life to.

One thing had happened though, that he hadn't been expecting at all, Bethie had gotten Frederick Curtis to admit that Henri hadn't died. How Bethie had known that before she'd asked he didn't know, but then he'd always had the feeling that she wasn't dead no matter when official records said. It looked as if they were going to have to try and find their baby brother. He could only hope that he'd had a lot better childhood than he and Bethie had had. Still, not being raise by Louisa and Frederick Curtis had to be a big bonus in anyone's favor. There was one problem though, he'd seen the body in Henri's coffin so who had been buried instead of their brother. Was it possible that their father had gone so far as to kill an innocent child in order to cover up the fact that he had given away his youngest son?

 

"Don't worry I know where the law ends and vigilantism starts," Anne said, double checking to make sure that her gun was loaded, "I have every intention of making sure that SOB sees the inside of a courtroom."

"Good," Simon said. He didn't want anyone claiming that Timothy Mackenna had been killed by someone who had gone over the top.

"If I was going to kill him I would have done it along time ago," she said, "public humiliation is a lot better way of destroying both him and the Cause."

"Let's hope that you're right about that," he said. The world could certainly use one less hate group in it.

"Trust me, I'm rarely wrong about anything," Anne said, "both Henri and Joel will tell you that."

"I believe you," Simon said. She would have made a fine addition to his department, unfortunately regulations prevented her from working with her son. "So what are you going to do when this is over?" he added.

"I'm going to apply to the Sex Crimes unit," Anne replied, "I've worked it before and I'm not ready for a desk job just yet no matter when Henri thinks. According to him I'm too old to be doing anything other than wait to be buried."

"You are a little..." he began, wondering how to put it without offending her. "Colourful."

"Colourful is probably one of the nicest words to describe me," she said, "you know, I decided a long time ago that I would always wear what made me feel good about myself, and you have to admit that I do stand out in a crowd."

"A little too much," he said.

 

If he slipped away now non one would notice Frederick thought, after all, it wasn't as if he had been charged with anything yet. However, if he left it would just be reinforcing the image that his children had of him, that he was a coward. He knew that it was far too late for him to be able to change the way that they saw him, but he could certainly try and change the way that he saw himself. Besides, if he left, where would he go? Everything that he owned he had signed over to Elizabeth and he was probably going to be needed as a witness when Timothy was brought to trial. There was a great deal that he could tell about the man who had been his best friend for so long.

His family probably wouldn't have been torn apart if he had been more of a man and had stood up to Louisa when she'd started to treat Elizabeth badly. He had to admit that he had never understood why Louis had made Elizabeth the scapegoat of the family, it wasn't as if Elizabeth had been more badly behaved when her brothers. Still, no matter when Louisa had done to her Elizabeth's spirit hadn't been broken. It was obvious to see that she had done very well for herself despite the fact that she had been held back by having a child do young. Without a child she could have gone on to do bigger and better things. Yet she had turned her back on her chance to have a normal life thirty years ago. A part of him had been expecting her to come crawling home during the first year, if only so that he could have said 'I told you so'. He'd wanted to believe that she couldn't make it on her own, but she had and she was happy which was more than he could say about himself.

 

She might have said that she wanted to see Timothy in court, Anne thought, kicking in the door in front of her, but that didn't mean that she wouldn't shoot him in self defence if she had to. So far she hadn't heard any gunfire so that probably meant that Timothy's minions had fled as soon as they'd heard police sirens. Still, that didn't matter because they would be picked up later on, or the FBI would get them.

"It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you," she said, when she saw the faces of several terrified children looking at her, "I'm one of you, a police officer." Probably not the best thing to say under the circumstances. "The way out is back there, there is help for you." If they decided that it was safer to stay here for the time being she certainly wouldn't blame them and she could always send Henri to persuade them that it really was safe to come out. When no one took up her offer she went through the room and the door at the other end of it. She was determined to be the one who arrested Timothy, if only because it would give her a great deal of pleasure to see him begging her not to arrest him. However, there was nothing that he could say or do that would make her change her mind. He was going to jail and she was going to be the one who put him there. She really wished that she had a camera with her so that she could take a photo of the look on his face when he realised who was there to arrest him, because it would be worth a million dollars. No doubt, Timothy would try putting up some sort of fight when she arrested him, but she was prepared for that. Over the past year she had been well trained in unarmed combat by people that the Cause had hired to prepare it's members for when the struggle became a revolution. It really was ironic that she could end up using the skills that the Cause had taught her against it's leader. He didn't stand a chance, because not only did she have right on her side, but he was a coward.

 

He'd been expecting the place to be crawling with Aryans, Henri thought, but he hadn't come across anyone yet. Still, he wasn't about to let his guard drop, because that was when something was likely to happen. Carefully opening the door in front of him he came across something that he hadn't been expecting to see at all, Timothy Mackenna was being held at gun point by a the young woman he'd spoken to earlier.

"You need some help?" he asked. She seemed to have everything under control but he thought that he should ask just in case.

"You could read him his rights," Hope replied, "and handcuff him, because my finger is getting really tired now."

"That's not a problem," Henri said, lowering his weapon while he took out his handcuffs.

"If you're wondering where all his followers are they ran away," she said, "and they didn't get a chance to hurt anyone, I made sure of that."

"I was wondering what had happened to your face," he admitted.

"You'd better read him his rights now or his lawyer will try and claim that you violated them and we wouldn't want that to happen," she said.

"I know my rights," Timothy said as he was handcuffed, "I also know that no one will testify against me."

"He's not very smart, is he?" Henri said.

"Bullies rarely are," she replied, "and I've met a lot of them working with James."

"You can put the gun down now," he said. For obvious reason he didn't like guns being pointed at him.

"It's okay, its not loaded," Hope said, pointing it up to the ceiling and pulling the trigger. There was a loud bang and some of the ceiling came down. "OOPS," she added.

"You went up against him with what you thought was an unloaded gun?" Henri asked, "what would you have done if he'd fought back?"

"Hit him with it," Hope replied, "I do know how to take care of myself."

"That's something that my mom says alot," he said, "she probably would have tried hitting him with the gun as well."

"Your mother strikes me as being a very smart woman," he said.

"I happen to share a lot of her qualities," he smiled.

 

END PART 6