Title: Midnight Stalker: Starting a family

Author: Angela

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: Jim/Blair

Rating: PG

Challenge: Peja’s Midnight Stalker challenge

Status: Complete

Archive: WWOMB

Feedback: Yes

Email Address: ladybug74873@hotmail.com

Series/Sequel: Midnight Stalker series

Disclaimers: They aren’t mine. Petfly and UPN own them

Summary: Jim and Blair start a family.

Warnings: none that I know of

Notes: I like having Jim and Blair with a family. For some reason it seems natural to include a couple of kids in a fic for them.

Further Disclaimer: none


Midnight Stalker: Starting a family
by Angela


I often wondered why Jim never told me he wanted a family. I discovered that the reason why was because he thought he would turn into his father. I wouldn’t blame him in the least bit. He had had a tough childhood with a lot of hurts that would eventually make him the man he was and is. But also it helped him to understand why his mother left and why his father was the way he was.

But then one day Jim came to me and asked if we could buy a house and fill it with children. I had really looked at him to make sure that he was my beloved Sentinel. He was and I had to think about what he had suggested. This would mean that our lives would change even more. Not that I didn’t want that. I had always thought Jim didn’t want children even though he adored them. I had asked him why he had wanted to have a family now. I agreed after hearing his reasons. I couldn’t wait.

So after Christmas and the New Year’s holidays Jim and I talked over our options and went for adoption. Our lawyer said that it may be hard for us to adopt but she would try to place a baby with us. Jim was ecstatic. I have never seen him happier. He wanted to have a family so badly. I almost didn’t want him to be disappointed if that dream didn’t come true.

We began our own preparations by getting the loft ready for a baby. I have never seen a man take to something as I have Jim. I almost laugh every time I think about Jim and him telling anyone who would listen that he and I would be having a baby. Jim was so serious about starting a family. Our lawyer had even mentioned surrogates. Jim nodded and said he would have to talk to me about it. I was all for the idea. Who knows maybe we could make another Sentinel and Guide.

The one thing that Jim wanted to do was sell the loft and buy a house. I was all for the house buying but I wanted to keep the loft in case we might need it. It wasn’t hard to convince Jim that the loft should stay in our hands. I had told him that it held all our memories. My blue eyed Sentinel just grinned and told me that we could make more memories at the new house. I shook my head in agreement. He did have a point on that one.

Jim’s excitement for a family spilled over into his mother’s family. Grace thought it a wonderful idea that we could either adopt or have a surrogate or both. I saw the wisdom in that one. Grace has been the most supportive of Jim’s parents about this idea. William Ellison doesn’t seem as supportive. I just wonder at times if he doesn’t want Jim to become him. I have tried to reassure Jim’s father that the detective has learned and will try and not make the same mistakes. I also pointed out that Jim will make mistakes but that didn’t make him not a good father.

While I was contemplating the rightness of Jim becoming a father, the big guy himself walked through the door and planted a kiss on top of the beloved curls. I smile up at him and receive another kiss for my effort. I reveled in that kiss. Neither one of us has seen much of each other in the last month with our schedules like they are and Jim trying to get to know his mother and her family. What seemed like minutes later Jim and I came up for air. We both smiled. It was the first time in a while that we had even touched each other or given more than a pefuctionary kiss to each other. We had both been on the run or involved in other activities.

There was a slight knock on the door to which my lover reached for the knob without letting me go. He wasn’t about to let me out of his arms. I snuggled more into them even though Grace Deveraux and her family were standing at the door. Grace looked more amused than stunned. She was very supportive of Jim and me. I was glad because it was taking William a while to come around to seeing his son having a male lover. The older man was making some strides in that department as well as the relationship with his sons. I was glad Jim was being so patient with his father.

I look over up at Jim to let him know I want out of his arms if only temporarily. He smiles down at me and lets me go. I go over to Grace to give her a kiss on the cheek and to greet the rest of the family. By the time I make the rounds Jim has his nephew in his arms. They are in the kitchen making a mess. I smile and let a little chuckle. Jim’s head came up. He heard me and is giving me a dirty look. I just smile at him sweetly and go sit with his mother.

I watch Jim as he takes Brandt around the loft. Jim really loves that little boy. He wants to see him grow up with strong male influences. I think that comes from growing up around his own father. Jim knows that William was not the best and strongest male influence on his life but at least he had one in his life. I look up to see that everyone has moved onto the dining room table. I guess my thoughts have taken me away from our guests. Jim looks at me quizzically and I just nod my head saying that everything is all right. It really is. I was thinking of Jim and his family and his growing relationships with them.

After dinner we all went into the living room to just talk and get to know each other more and to tell of our day and week. I like this aspect of our time with Grace and her family. Jim definitely likes it. It gives him more time to get to know his mother in a whole different light.

Jim sits at my feet with his nephew beside him. He is playing with the little boy. I look down at the two. Jim has such a look of contentment on his face. It makes my heart swell with love and pride at seeing such a look on my beloved’s face after so long. I just hope that look stays on his face for a long time. I don’t want him to be disappointed if we can’t adopt or the surrogate doesn’t work out. I sigh and continue watching the two at my feet.

Jim looks at me after a few moments. He has this strange look in his eyes. I know something is up with my beloved Sentinel. I look at him questioningly. He looks at his mother and her family and then smiles. He sits beside me and takes my hand. I look startled and he goes to reassure me that every thing will be all right.

“I have a announcement.” He says while looking at the expectant looks on everyone’s face.

I encourage him with a nod of my head and a squeeze of my hand. I want to know what he has to tell us.

“Blair and I are going to have a baby.”

I’m floored. I know that Jim has been wanting this for so long I didn’t expect this kind of announcement. I was thinking that neither of our options would come through. Grace’s look of astonishment changes to one of pure joy. She and Brad come to congratulate us. I am still in a state of shock through it all. I don’t know what to say. I think Grace is encouraging Jim to tell us when and how this important event in our lives is going to happen.

I heard I think what Jim was telling us. Apparently the surrogate that our lawyer knew and asked to help us out and agreed to called Jim with the good news that she was pregnant. It finally hit me that we were going to expand our family even more. I looked at Jim and now understood why there was such a contented look on his face. Jim was finally realizing his dream of having a family with me. We were going to have a baby. I looked at my love and smiled at him. He smiled back. He lightly kissed me and went back to accepting the encouraging words of his family.

It’s later and everyone has gone home. I am standing on the balcony of our home listening to my anal retentive lover clean up from our dinner and celebration of his announcement. I can’t be happier. I am happy for Jim. He has wanted this bad enough to look into options that would have been closed to us decades ago.

I lean into the arms that have circled my waist as Jim has come up behind me. I sigh once more. I am content. My Sentinel has what he wants most in the world: a family. I have him and his family. I have realized that he is my family and now we are adding to it.

“Happy, my own.”

“Yes, my heart.”

I smile and turn to Jim. He takes my lips in a slow and sweet kiss. After a few moments we come up for air. He leans his cheek on the top of my head and sighs with contentment.

He is happy. Jim has me, friends, family and now a start of a new one. He has a bright and shining future with lots of love and laughter.



The end