Title: In The House Of Love

Fandom: The Sentinel

Author/pseudonym: Latoya

Email address: sonia316@mindspring.com

Rating: PG

Pairing: J/B

Date: 2/11/00

Archive : yes

Series: yes

Category: romance, love, happiness

Disclaimer: Boys don’t belong to me and no money is being made just fun.

Summary: A house of love.

Warnings: None

I would like to thank my beta Elaine for helping me with this series, she has been a encouraging me from the beginning and so has my friend Judy.

Feedback is apreciated thanks.

 

IN THE HOUSE OF LOVE

By Latoya

 

"Fly. Fly. Fly," the little girl cried as she sat at her dad's exhausted feet.

"Not now sweetie, daddy's tired and he needs to rest for a moment, then I'll do it again okay?"

"Fly", the little girl whined, as her bottom lip started to quiver and her gray eyes shimmered with unshed tears. She looked up at her father with huge watery eyes. "Fly." Then the sniffles came followed by whimpers, ready to turn into sobs. "Fly."

"Ah he taught you to do that well didn't he?"

Right before the sobs could come, Henri swooped down and picked the child up, and the child giggled happily as Henri swung her in the air. Her black curls bouncing with her excitement. "Looks like you wore your father out didn't you?", he said as he nuzzled the little girl's cheek.

"Wheeee, fly," she chanted over and over as Henri swung her around again and again.

"Hey H, not so high okay, maybe lower like ground level, you can never be too careful, you know."

"Okay no more flying, your daddy is spasing out on me. How about something else like this?" He picked her up and blew on her stomach. That made the child laugh louder.

"H, H, H, H." She chanted excitedly.

"Snatchies" Rafe came into the living room and took the child from H. Bouncing her on his hip as he zoomed around the crowded living room. But he had to stop short when Simon blocked their passage.

"Rafe this is your captain speaking to you and he demands that you hand over that child," Simon said in mock seriousness as he lifted the child from Rafe's arms and began to make funny faces at her.

"Uncle Simon," the little girl said loudly as she threw her arms around his shoulders and give him a slobbery wet kiss on his cheek. Which made Simon make an even funnier face and the little girl giggled more.

"Where's Papa, where's Papa, where's Papa?", she repeated over and over demanding an answer.

Simon bowed his head, he didn't want to see the disapointment in the little girl's eyes as he told her that her father wasn't able to come home. "I'm sorry sweetie but......." He stopped unable to finish as the bundle of energy in his arms fell silent and stopped bouncing.

"Sandburg, I think your daughter needs you right now", Simon said gruffly, disappointed himself that the little girl was sad.

Blair Sandburg was at his side the instant he had heard that his daughter needed him. He took the now silent child from Simon's arms but she instantly wiggled from his grasp so he put her on the floor, and she crawled over to the door, where she would sit and wait for Papa to come home, and cried when he didn't.

"It's gonna be okay sugar", Blair said as he leaned down and kissed her forehead. He looked up at Simon, Rafe and H and then back down at his daughter who sat intently with her eyes on the door. A few crystal tear drops fell from her eyes.

She looked up sharply as the door knob began to rattle, then the door opened and a blue stroller rolled through the door. She started crying loudly now, that wasn't daddy.

"Hey sweetie, why so sad? I thought that you would be glad to see me Sonia." Jim Ellison bent down and picked his daughter up.

It had been a close call, the doctors had said that they were in danger of losing their son, and told Blair and the rest of the gang that they weren't allowed to see Jim. Not that Blair could bring himself to look at Jim in that hospital bed, looking pale and fragile, their son still inside Jim's swollen belly also sick. The young man had collapsed with grief when the doctors had put Jim into intensive care and said that it was the most dangerous time for Jim and the baby. The doctors said that he might lose one or both of them and he couldn't handle the thought of either happening. But there Jim and the baby were, healthy and whole.

The life and the energy were back as Sonia bounced up and down in her father's arms.

"Jim." Blair rushed over and gave his lover a hug and a kiss on the lips. "What happened, and why didn't you call me so I could pick you up from the hospital? Are you all right? Did you take your vitamins, and did you have a glass of milk and some lunch?"

"Well mother, I had everything that I needed while I was at the hospital. Doctor Johnson released me and Alec with a clean bill of health. Don't you want to see your son other than mothering me?"

Blair pulled the stroller closer to him and moved the blue and tan knit blanket back, revealing two tiny curled fists and a tiny head with short bristles of brown hair. The baby turned and opened gray eyes on him. He stroked the soft short hair and mumured words of love to the baby.

"I don't know Chief, but I get the feeling those gray eyes are here to stay". Jim said after looking at his daughter and then to his new son.

"I don't care if their eyes are pink, I'd still love both of them and you and Simon and everyone here", Blair said kissing his new son's cheek.

"Me too Blair, me too", Jim said, wrapping his arm around his lovers waist.

"Ahhhhhhhh, we love you guys too", the whole major crime gang chorused from the background making Jim and Blair both blush. " I get to hold the new baby first", Meghan said as she made her way to the blue stroller.

Jim and Blair walked out of the loft and onto the balcony to find a little privacy. "Are you sure that your ok? I love you so much and I couldn't stand to ever lose you", Blair asked, his voice low.

"I'm fine sweetheart, and I love you to", Jim said, tilting his lover's head up so he could brush his lips softly against Blair's.

"I love my daddies too," Sonia chimed in, her sang song voice, carrying through Cascade on gentle breezes.

All Was Right In The World. A New Life Had Been Created By Two Loving Hearts.

*************

"My room, my room, my roooooom," Sonia cried stubbornly. "You can't give it to him, it's my room." She stormed into her *room*, slamming the door behind her.

Blair rubbed his temples with both hands, trying to talk Sonia into sharing a room with Alec until they could buy a home for the growing family, was like trying to talk Jim into throwing away his house rules for good. The only thought that came into his head was Jim, Sonia was like him in every way, stubborn.

"Sonia, come on honey it's only for a little while, he's your baby brother and don't you think he needs a place to sleep too?", he tried again.

Through the door he could hear the muffled crying, Sonia was probably wrapped up in her favorite dark purple blanket that Uncle Simon had given her on her birthday, she held onto it like it was her only salvation. She loved that blanket, she loved anything that Uncle Simon gave her. "My room, my room, my room. Don' wanna shareeeeeeeee," came the long drawn out wail.

Blair slumped his shoulders in defeat, the only thing that he could do now was to wait until Jim came home, maybe he could talk Sonia into sharing her room. It had been two months now since they had brought Alec home from the hospital and the crib had been placed in the bedroom but now they thought it was time that the baby shared a room with Sonia. Sonia now stayed in his old bedroom.

Jim and Simon walked up the stairs to the loft shoulder to shoulder, both congratulating each other on the case that they just closed, and saving five peoples lives in the process. "How about a beer pal?", Jim said as he unlocked the loft door and invited Simon in. The first sound that reached his ears was the sound of Sonia sobbing.

"Blair, what's going on?", Jim asked as the young man came up and handed him Alec. He nuzzled the baby's cheek, taking in the sweet smell of their young.

"I told Sonia that I wanted to have Alec share rooms with her, and that's how she took it." He pointed to the closed door. "She reminds me of you, one hundred percent stubborn when you don't want to do something."

Jim looked offended. "I am not Sandburg, you take that back. I am not stubborn." He said as he stomped his foot on the floor.

Both Simon and Blair gave him a comical look. "Sure your right." Simon snorted and Blair laughed when Jim cuffed him on the back of his head. "Go on Jim, talk to her and see if you can convince her to give up her room."

"Why Simon, you say that like you think that I can't do it."

Simon gave him a shrug then turned him in direction of the door and the sobbing that could be heard from within.

Jim walked up to door, knocking on it softly. "Sonia, what's the matter? You can talk to daddy you know that. There's nothing wrong with sharing a room with your little brother. Who knows you'll probably be good friends when you and him get older. Come on let Alec into your room."

"Whaaaah. My room, my room." The sobbing grew louder now, making Blair, Simon and Jim cringe.

"This looks like a job for a professional like Uncle Simon." Simon said as he ushered Jim to the side. He knocked twice on the door. "Sonia sweetie, this is Uncle Simon, can I come in and talk to you for a moment?"

"Are you gonna make me give up my room?", came the watery reply.

"No honey, I just want to talk to you and find out what's wrong."

A few hearbeats and a sniffle later Sonia opened the door and let Simon in, closing it after him. Sonia had her purple blanket around her tighter. Simon sat on her small bed and pulled her into his lap. "Now tell Uncle Simon what's wrong, this all can't be about sharing."

Sonia rubbed her teary eyes than whispered, "My daddies don't love me anymore," then she started to cry again.

Simon hugged her tighter, letting her use his sleeve as a hanky. "Why do you say that sweetie? You know that's not true, me and your dads love you very much, how can you ever think different?"

"Be...because all they do is pay attention to Alec, they don't care about me anymore see......", she showed him a wrinkled up piece of paper.

Simon smoothed the paper out and it was some of Sonia's school work, the teacher had given her an A+ and an smiley face right beside it. "This is great Sonia, why didn't you show this to your dads?"

"I tried but they didn't have time, they kept saying later and talking about the baby. They don't love me anymore and...and now they want to give him my room too." The sobs were back.

"Aw sweety, they still love you, it's just that a baby requires a lot of attention and I know that it may seem that they forgot you but they didn't, they love you just as much as I do."

"They do, how much, like this?" Sonia said, spreading her arms wide, her tears drying up."

"More than that love, more than that. So can you share your room with Alec, knowing that they love you both?"

"Okay Uncle Simon." The little girl hugged him tight as he picked her up.

"Lets go beat up your dads, and then the next time they start to ignore you, just tell them that uncle Simon is going to come and get them okay."

"Yeah," Sonia bounced in his arms.

After much talking and reasoning (well bribing Sonia with candy), Alec got to share a room with his big sister.

"You owe me," Simon said as he walked out the door and down to his car."

"Yeah, yeah." Jim muttered as he watched Simon leave.

Alec slept peacefully in his crib, but the blanket somehow had slipped down. Sonia looked at her purple blanket then put it over the baby said good night then climbed into her own bed and went to sleep.

************

"Won't eat it, won't eat it, won't eat it", Sonia whined as she stared at her plate full of soggy green spinach.

"Your're not leaving that table young lady until you eat the rest of your food", Blair said as he finished his own helping of spinach.

"Don't wanna, don't wanna, don't wanna." Sonia tried again.

"Not going to work young lady, you're not getting up from this table until you finish your spinach and that's final," Blair said, being just as stubborn as Sonia. "Now eat."

"No!"

"Fine!"

HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES LATER

"Ahhhhh, come on sweety don't you want to be as strong as Popeye?"

"No."

"Don't you want to be as strong as daddy?"

"No. Don't wanna eat it."

"We can sit here for as long as it takes Sonia", Blair said.

"Fine." Sonia folded her arms across her chest, sat back in her chair and frowned.

Blair chuckled at that pose, it was the exact pose Jim used when he didn't want to do something, they were so much alike.

"Hey what are you two doing?" Jim said as he came into the kitchen carrying Alec.

"Waiting for Sonia to finish her dinner", Blair said.

"Well I hope she finishes it soon, it's almost time for bed."

"Well she would be done if she just would eat her spinach."

At that word Sonia scrunched up her face and stuck her tongue out.

"Look, daddy is eating it", Jim said as he picked up her fork and ate a forkful of spinach. He handed the fork back to her as he swallowed the mushy greens.

Sonia looked at the fork , than back to her plate as she hesitantly brought a forkful to her mouth and begin to eat. The spinach disappeared somewhat rapidly in between words of, 'This is yucky and don't wanna eat it.'

"Okay sweetie time for bed, give daddy a goodnight kiss." Jim said as he handed Alec to Blair and helped her out of her chair.

Weary of the baby in Blair's lap, Sonia climbed up and planted a kiss on his cheek. "Goodnight daddy", she whispered, trying not to wake the sleeping baby.

"Goodnight sweetie", he whispered back and kissed her forehead.

"Come on now, time for bed, I don't want you biting me when I wake you up for school in the morning."

"I don't bite daddy."

"No you growl and snap at me like Blair does, okay in the bed you go."

"Do I have school tomorrow?"

"Yes you have school tomorrow and no fighting with Michelle you got me?"

"But she stole my toy."

"I don't care you tell a teacher, no fighting you hear?"

"Yes."

"Good, I love you sweetie, night."

Yawn, "Night."

Jim shut off the lights on his way out of the small room, knowing that his daughter was already well on her way to dream land. He watched as Blair made his way past him and laid the sleeping baby in his crib.

"How did you do that?" Blair asked once they were safely out of the room.

"Do what?"

"Make Sonia eat her spinach. I was sitting there for hours trying to get her to eat it and you come along and she's munching on it like she's enjoying it."

"That's because she wants to be just like daddy Chief, I know a way to make her always eat her veggies."

"And how's that."

"It's so simple Darwin, just make the ones she likes, like corn, peas, broccoli."

"But you got to eat your spinach once in a while."

"She'll come around and maybe even like it someday. Come on lets go to bed."

"Race you upstairs."

"Do you think that you would win?"

Jim gave Blair a head start and the night was completed in a fit full of laughter.

THE NEXT EVENING

"Mr. Ellison could you come here for a moment?"

"Stay here Sonia", Jim said as he took Sonia off her school bus.

Sonia sat on the curb playing with her ball, when it hit a wall and rolled into the street. She looked both ways, then scurried after her ball.

Jim's train of thought was interrupted by a vision of a black panther, nuzzling the neck of a dead gray kitten. It's cry of pain echoing through out the world. "SONIA!" He ran as fast as he could back to her.

Sonia looked up as she heard her dad call her name, but the only thing that she could see were the bright lights of the oncoming truck, she froze.

'Please, please, please, please let me be there on time.' His mind screamed as he ran as fast as he could.

Sonia felt two strong arms lift her and pull her back onto the sidewalk and into her father's arms. "Daddy?"

"Oh God, please, please don't ever do that again." He said as he walked into the apartment building and up to the loft.

"What happened Jim, you're shaking like a leaf."

"Sonia, Sonia, truck, truck." Was all that Jim could say as he put her down and let Blair pull him into an embrace.

"Shhhhh, come sit down, it'll be all right, Sonia's right here." Blair guided Jim over to sit on the couch.

After a shaky explanation Jim explained to Blair what had happened and Blair picked up Sonia and hugged her tight. "Is daddy mad at me?", she asked in a sad, low voice.

"No honey, why don't you go over there and see him."

"Okay." She scampered over to Jim and climbed up on his lap. "Are you mad at me daddy?"

"No, I'm not mad at all, it wasn't your fault. You just have to do me a favor, never ever go into the street again, never again okay?" He finished hoarsely.

"Okay."

He hugged his daughter tight, thanking the stars above for all of his gifts.

LATER THAT NIGHT

Blair held Jim's shaking body against his. "I can't stand to lose any of you, Blair. I couldn't go on if I did." Jim's hands slid franticly over Blair's skin memorizing every part of him, trying to block out the painful picture of the dead kitten.

"Shhh, love we're all right here and we're not going to leave you anytime soon." Blair tucked Jim's head beneath his chin and let him cry, emptying his heart of his sorrow.

********

Sonia bounced excitedly as Jerry the mouse blew up Tom the cat. "Daddy."

"Yes, Sweetie?", Blair answered distractedly as he made new notes on his dissertation.

"Tell them that they can't do that to the kitty."

"What makes you think that I can do something about it Sweetie?"

"Because you're my daddy and you're big and strong and can do anything."

Blair chuckled as he sat down his pen and turned towards his daughter who was currently watching Tom and Jerry cartoons on the bedroom room tv. "Okay honey, I'll give them a call and tell them that they can't do that to the kitty."

"If, if the kitty loses his job can we have him?"

"I don't know about that Sweetie. Why don't you run along downstairs and finish watching your cartoons so I can finish my work?"

"Your homework daddy?"

"Yes Sweety."

"Okay bye daddy." Sonia skipped out of the room and down the stairs holding onto the rail tightly.

Sonia's cartoons were interrupted by the sound of someone knocking on the door. She tried to call her dad but he wasn't answering so she decided to answer the door herself. "Who is it?" No answer just a louder knock. Sonia pulled opened the door. William Ellison stood there in a black suit and a handerkerchief in his hand.

"Can I come in?"

"Yeah, my daddy's upstairs doing his homework, do you want me to go get him?"

"Not right now, I want to talk to you first."

"Talk? About what?"

"Do you know that you shouldn't be alive, that you were an accident and that I promise that it will never happen again?"

"I don't know what you mean."

William walked over and picked Sonia up by her arms and began to shake her. "You and your little brother are freaks and should be destroyed. And the person that you call dad is just some little neo hippie punk that my boy just uses to warm his bed."

"Your hurting me." Sonia whimpered in between sobs.

"Goo..."

He never got to finish the word he was about to say when Sonia instantly disappeared from his hands and the next thing he knew he hit the wall with a resounding thud that echoed throughout the loft . First he thought that it was his son that hit him until he saw Blair Sandburg bending down and trying to comfort the crying little girl. "You'll regret that you did that you little faggot", William said as he dabbed at the faint trail of blood that ran down his lips.

If Sonia wasn't in the room he would have killed the bastard with his own two hands, how dare he put his hands on her? With his rage barely contained he turned and faced William Ellison. "I regret nothing, if Sonia wasn't here I'd make sure you went flying off the balcony on your way out. I suggest you leave before I change my mind about doing that."

"You can't stop me from seeing my son."

"I do wanna stop you from seeing him but not him from seeing you."

"What?"

"After I tell him what you just did, he's going to hunt you down like the dog that you are, if you think that I hit you hard just wait til he gets his hands on you."

"You don't scare me. You and those kids are an abomination of science and should be destroyed. My son is only here because you're just a little slut."

"Leave now." Blair growled his final warning.

William Ellison got up from his position on the floor and walked to the door. "This isn't over", he said as he sized Blair up one last time and left.

"Daddy?" The voice was small and hurt and it registered through his rage filled mind.

"Let me see your arms Sonia." Blair gently examined his daughters arms and felt his anger grow again when he saw a large red handprint forming on both arms. He touched them gently.

"It still hurts daddy." Sonia weeped.

"Shhh come on Sweetie let daddy put something on it."

Two hours later Blair gently shifted the sleeping form of his daughter on his chest and wrapped her purple blanket tighter around her. He was finally able to soothe her and get her to take a nap.

Jim balanced a few bags on his shoulder as he opened the loft door with his key and pushed the stroller through. "Hey Chief", Jim said as he bent down and gave his lover a kiss. "You'll never believe the gifts that I got for Alec's first birthday. I even got something for.." Jim stopped when he saw Sonia still red tear streaked face. "Blair what happened?"

**********

Jim listened intently as his lover told him of the events that had transpired that evening. When he was done, Blair waited for his lover's reaction. Jim simply got up, lifted Sonia gently and examined her bruises which were now turning into a dark set of hand prints. Then never saying a word he wrapped the blankets back around her and positioned her to lie in a comfortable position against Blair's chest, kissed the top of her curly head and stood up. He walked over to his gun case where he kept his weapons locked up.

"Jim what are you doing?" Blair asked, but his lover said nothing as he grabbed his 9mm from the cabinet and put his coat back on. "Jim?" He still didn't say anything as he pocketed his keys and headed out the door, leaving Blair with a very cold feeling.

The loud knock on the door woke Sonia up, who promptly fled her dad's lap in wild terror with her purple blanket in tow, slamming her room door behind her. Blair let Simon in, he had called Simon when he was waiting for Jim to come home.

"Where is the SOB?", Simon whispered to Blair as he came through the door.

"I don't know but Jim just went looking for him."

"How's Sonia doing?"

"She's not so good, your knocking scared the days out of her."

"I'm going to go and see if I can help."

"I don't know Simon I've been trying but she's still terrified."

"She just needs something else to focus on and I think I know the trick."

Misunderstanding Simon's words he watched as Simon went into Sonia's room.

Simon fisted his hands in anger as he saw Sonia laying face first on the bed with her blanket pulled over her and the small body was wracked with shakes. He sat down on the bed and pulled the blanket back and lifted her up.

Sonia screamed and sobbed until her bright, gray watery eyes met gentle brown ones. "Uncle Simon", she said as she wrapped her arms around him and held on for dear life.

"Hey Sweetie I'm here, don't hug me so tight or you're gonna squish the present that I got for you in my coat."

Sonia let go and looked at Simon's coat which had started to wiggle. She eased closer and peered into the open spot at the top of the coat and squealed when a small furry white head poked out and licked her nose.

"Go ahead and take him out, he's yours." Simon said as Sonia carefully lifted the puppy out of Simon's coat.

The puppy yelped with excitement and licked Sonia's face. "Mine?"

"Yup, I'm sure your dad won't mind." He turned towards Blair who gave him an affirmative nod. "Why don't you give him a name while I go talk to your dad okay?"

Sonia didn't even notice him leave as she played with the puppy.

"See I told you it would make it better, I know it won't make it go away but at least now she has something else to concentrate on."

"I agree, she hasn't smiled or laughed like that since this morning." Blair said in a sad tone. "I should have been paying more attention Simon, this should have never happened."

"Cheer up Blair it wasn't your fault, how could you know that that SOB would ever do that to a child? Come on let's see if we can find Jim."

************

"No Sir, I'm sorry but your dad isn't here, would you like to leave him a message?"

"No that's okay, I'm going to try his house again." Jim said to the secretary at the William Ellison Company.

"Okay Sir I'll tell him that you came by to see him."

"No don't mention it to him I want it to be a surprise." Jim said with a humorless grin as he left the building.

*********************

William Ellison parked his car in front of his son's home for the second time that night. "Stupid boy, he just doesn't understand that I'm doing this for him. What kind of career does a freak have to fall back on when he gets older? What kind of respect will he have? Right now he's an embarrassment to the whole Ellison line and until those mistakes are gone he can't take over my place as the head of my company."

He shifted the car into gear and pulled away from the curb trying to figure out a way to accomplish his plans.

******************

"Hey Simon, there's still no sign of the 'Asshole' and I've been at his house for the last hour. Have you checked in with Rafe and Meghan yet?"

"Yes and they came up empty too. I'm at the loft with Blair and the kids, if neither of them shows in another ten to fifteen minutes you can leave."

"Okay Simon, how are they doing?"

"I think that everything's going to be okay, as long as it never happens again. That's why I want this guy. And we have to find Jim before he does something irreversible, he's got two kids here that need him. I don't want him to wind up serving life in prison.

"Okay Simon, I'll call you if something happens, Brown out."

"Any news Simon?" Blair said as he handed him a cup of coffee.

"Unfortunately there's no news on either of them so we're just going to keep looking, don't worry Blair we're going to find Jim."

*****************************

Small whimpers could be heard from the bathroom and Sonia went to investigate them. She found the puppy in the toilet, scrambling frantically to get out. "What are you doing? How did you get in there?" She said as she lifted it up and wrapped the puppy in her shirt, soaking her clothes in the process.

"Daddy, daddy." Sonia said as she came running out of the bathroom.

"What is it Honey?" Blair said bending down and accepting the wet dog.

"The puppy tried to take a bath in the toilet but he couldn't do it by himself so can he take a bath with me tonight?"

"I don't think that's a good idea Sweetie, why don't you go get ready for your bath and I'll take care of.......? Are you going to give him a name?"

"Yeah his name is Jinx."

"Why Jinx"

"Because."

"Because what?"

"Just because."

"Okay Honey, go get ready for your bath and don't forget your rubber ducky, I'll be in the bathroom in a second okay?"

"Okay." Sonia agreed as she hurried into her room to get her pajamas.

"I don't know how to thank you enough, Simon. She's feeling alot better."

"Don't thank me for anything, she deserves to be happy and we're going to get that SOB for hurting her. I just hope that we can get to him before Jim does."

"Yeah me too Simon. Here you go." Blair said as he handed him Jinx.

"Sandburg what am I supposed to do with a wet dog?"

"I don't know, dry him off or something." Blair tossed him a kitchen towel as he went to help Sonia get ready for her bath.

"It's never going to happen again Jinx, you hear me. I'll kill the bastard with my own two hands if it does." Simon said to the dog as he dried it off.

************

"Have they found Jim?", Blair asked as he came out of Sonia's room after putting both of his little ones to bed.

"No," Simon said gruffly, wishing he had one of his cigars to chew on. For the last hour he had been in touch with his crew about the whereabouts of Jim and Mr. Ellison, but having no luck.

"I just hope we find him before he ends up doing something that could hurt him."

"I know Blair, me too, me too." Simon's cell phone chirped suddenly.

"Sir, I think we have a problem," Rafe voice came through loud and clear. "We've found Mr. Ellison but he's not in the best condition. He's more like in critical condition. The ambulance is here now, he looks like he was beaten within an inch of his life. He's been unconscious since we found him. We think that maybe Jim got to him first."

"Damn it!!" Simon slammed his phone shut, then stopped himself from muttering any more cursing and waking the children.

"What?", Blair asked anxiously.

Simon was getting ready to answer him when his cell phone rang again. "Hold on Raf...." he was cut off.

"Simon this is the mayor, what the hell is going on? I get a call during an important meeting that William Ellison was found almost beaten to death?"

"Yes Sir, we're handling it."

"I've also heard that it could have been one of your men. No favors Simon, I want this guy brought in now."

"Yes Sir, I see Sir, we're doing everything that we can Sir." Simon hung up the phone before the mayor could utter any more protest.

"What happened?", Blair said excitedly.

"They found William, he's been beaten and left unconscious, they think that Jim might have got to him. I'm sorry Blair but I have to put an APB out on Jim."

"No," Blair shook his head, refusing to believe it. Jim wouldn't do it. Of course he was mad when he left here, anyone would be but he wouldn't put beat his father that bad. "What am I going to tell Sonia when her poppa doesn't come home?" Blair started pacing back and forth.

"Blair I know that you're upset. Let's just wait until we find Jim, then we can sit down and talk to him. There has to be a reasonable explanation for this." Simon said confidently.

"No, no. I refuse to believe that Jim would do that then just disappear. Maybe it was someone else. You know the way William Ellison behaves it leads you to believe that he could have a lot of enemies. Don't rule everyone out."

"I'm not Blair, that's why I just want to find Jim and talk to him. There's not going to be any legal action taken against him until we hear his side of the story.

Both men turned their attention towards the door as Jim came through it, bruised and roughed up. He was bleeding from his palms and knees. "Sorry I took so long I just had to go out there and blow off some steam. Blair could you help me with the peroxide?"

Blair looked stunned.

Simon just nodded his head and said, "Jim we need to talk, I think you better sit down."

**************

Jim sat down, a confused look gracing his face as he stared at his friend and lover. "Simon I had a really tough night. All I want to do is get cleaned up, make sure my kids are all right, curl around Blair and go to sleep. What is so important that it couldn’t wait until morning?"

Simon stood, looking down at one of his best detectives before going to glance out of a window. "Jim, I know you were upset when you left here, and I also know that you wanted to do some major damage to your father, so please don’t deny that. I also know that when you returned home tonight you were bloody and bruised. To move on," Simon continued when he saw that Jim was about to protest. "Mr.. Ellison was found badly beaten and is now fighting for his life at Cascade General, can you explain why Jim?" Simon rubbed his hands over his eyes and through his hair. For once he looked very tired, like the years were catching up to him.

"Simon, I was nowhere near my father when this happened. I admit that I went after him with revenge on my mind but I never found him. I checked his house; his job and no one knew where he was. I’m telling you Simon I didn’t find him."

"Then explain to me why you’ve got cuts and bloody bruises littering your body. Explain to me why you came back so late? Come on Jim, you have to admit this looks more then just a coincidence."

"I’m telling you Simon I didn’t do it. Though I wish I could meet the one who did. I’d take him out to dinner."

"Enough both of you," Blair said. "Simon do forensics pull anything from the crime scene?"

"Not yet, they're still checking." Simon took out his cell phone and called Henri. "Any news yet?"

"They found two blood samples down here Simon. One belonging to Mr. Ellison and the other belonging to, Simon I'm sorry to say this...Jim. I've tried to think of any other possible way that the blood couldn't be Jim's but only came up empty. The only other candidates are Grace Ellison', but like Jim said, she died when he was a child. Or Steven Ellison, but he's half way across the world right now, on some business vacation. I'm sorry to say this Simon, but it looks we're going to have to bring Jim down to Major Crimes." Henri shook his head, very disappointed that it was a crime to kill a Mr. William Ellison. Life just wasn't fair.

Simon closed his cell phone, staring blankly at Jim. "I don't believe this," Simon said dumbfounded.

"What?", Blair asked. Looking over at Sonia and Alec's doorway at Sonia, who was rubbing sleep from her eyes. Clutching her blue teddy in one hand and her purple blanket in the other. Her eyes lighting up when they fell upon Jim.

"Papa, papa!!", Sonia said happily as she jumped into his lap and hugged him tightly. Her earlier fatigue forgotten.

Jim winced, but ignore the slight pain and irritation he felt and hugged his daughter close. "How you doing baby girl?"

"I'm better, see." She showed him the fading bruises on her arms. "Are you staying home tonight?"

"Ye.."

"No," Simon cut him off. "Sorry honey but papa has to go to work tonight."

Blair looked at Simon questionably, his blue eyes searching dark brown ones.

Sonia looked truly disappointed. "But he has to read me a story, he promised."

"He'll read you two stories when he comes back Sonia. Then you can also show him Jinx. Come on Jim, we got to go to the station," Simon said gruffly.

"Don't leave without seeing me first," Blair said as he picked Sonia up and went to tuck her in again. Jinx settled on her pillow beside her head. His small tail wagging as Sonia reached up and scratched him behind an ear. Instantly he rolled over onto his stomach.

"Go to sleep now. Everything will be all right, promise." He kissed her forehead. Noting the look on her face that said she didn't quite believe him, but was willing to listen to him. "Goodnight." He dimmed the lights and pulled the blanket up over Alec.

When he came out of the room he closed the door slightly. Jim and Simon both stood in the doorway with their coats on. Both of them were sporting grim expressions. Jim spoke first.

"Blair stay here with the kids, I'll be home when I can."

"Jim?"

"They found some blood at the crime scene Blair, they think it's mine so they have probable cause to bring me in. Simon's just doing his job."

Blair nodded, not really happy at the turn of events.

"Do you want to put handcuffs on me Simon?"

Simon squeezed his eyes shut and swallowed hard. "No Jim, I trust you. You're my friend."

"You're still my friend Simon." Jim said as Simon lead him out the door, closing it firmly behind them.

Blair slumped down onto the couch.

**********************

A figure sat at the table in a hotel room smoking a cigarette. "What are the consequences?"

"They've taking Jim Ellison into custody for the beaten of his father." A man said.

"What? That wasn't supposed to happen." The figure grumbled as she threw her cigarette at the man.

"I know, I know, but we have to remain calm. We'll fix this first thing in the morning/"

"And how the hell do you suppose we do that?"

"I don’t know but we'll think of something just relax. It's going to be a big day for you tomorrow so just take it easy...."

*******

"When are you coming home poppa?" Sonia asked as she clutched the phone tightly to her ear.

Jim held the phone away from his ear, he didn't want to hear the sadness and longing in her voice. The last time he had heard her sound like that was when he and Blair had taken to her first day of school.

~~~~~~~~

//She looked so adorable in her purple overalls and white shirt.// Blair thought as he looked at his daughter, starting at her feet and working his way up. Everything was perfect until he got to her face. Her face was tear streaked and her nose and eyes were red from crying.

"Don't cry sweetie, you're going to have fun at your new school," Jim said as he bent down to tie her shoe laces. When her arms tightened around his neck he knew that he had said the wrong thing.

"But I don't wannnnnaaaaaaa goooooooooooooooooooo," Sonia wailed as she clutched him tightly.

Blair grabbed some tissues and wiped the tears away from Sonia's face. "You'll like it once you give it a chance."

"No, wanna stay with poppa," she replied stubbornly. "I wanna stay, don't wannnnnaaaa gooooooo," she begin to cry again.

Blair shook his head. "She's just like you Jim, as stubborn as ever, but she has to go to school. We can't have a repeat of yesterday, when you did a 360 on the highway and went back to get her. She missed school yesterday and I don't want her to do it again. School is important at this young age."

Jim nodded but he wasn't really listening to Blair, how could he ignore his daughter's crying? "We should go before it gets too late, we don't want Miss Troeya mad at us for disrupting her class." He put Sonia's coat on and then lifted her into his arms. "It'll be okay Sweetie, just give it a try."

He walked out of the door and down to the car, leaving Blair to turn the lights out and lock up. Fastening Sonia in the backseat he lowered his hearing trying to block out her little sobs. It couldn't be helped, she had to go to school. He waited until Blair got into the car and fastened his seatbelt before driving off. The preschool was just down the street from the precinct so it would be easier picking her up after work.

Parking the car he undid his seatbelt and opened the back door so he could let Sonia out. Picking her up again he and Blair walked inside to Miss Troeya's room. Sonia hid her face in Jim's coat.

"Why Hello Sonia, I'm glad that you decided to give us another chance." Miss Troeya said as she looked up from her desk. "And Jim I hope that you'll let her stay this time."

Jim blushed. "Yes Ma'am. Well, we should be going, I have a lot of paper work to finish." He sat Sonia on her feet but she immediately wrapped herself around his legs and shook her head no. "It's not as bad as you think it's going to be." He said as he unwrapped her from his legs and sat her down at a desk. "Be good, daddy has to go to work, I'll pick you up when school's over." He planted a kiss on her forehead and walked out as fast as he could, if he didn't he would take her to work with him.

Blair followed silently behind his lover, admiring his strength. If there was one thing that made Jim Ellison weak it was his daughter.

Jim mechanically started the car and pulled out into traffic, he had to fight the urge to turn back around. He turned up his hearing and could hear Sonia crying again. He made to turn the car around but Blair grabbed the wheel.

"She has to learn to accept the fact that she has to go to school, you can't keep rushing back to get her," Blair said as he steered the car into the Major Crimes parking garage."

"Yeah right," Jim said as he got out of the car and went into the station.

"What's the matter Jim?" Simon asked as he looked up from the map he was looking at along with Henri and Meghan.

"Blair's being mean, he made me leave Sonia behind even though he could plainly see how upset she was. Just picture it, tears streaming from those little gray eyes, nose red. It was heartbreaking."

All of them turned to stare at Blair accusingly.

"I didn't do anything wrong she has to get an education."

They continued to stare at him.

"It's not my fault okay and I'm not relenting, she'll learn to like it."

They stared some more.

"Gah! You people are impossible," Blair said as he stomped away.

"So what are you guys working on?" Jim asked turning back to the group.

"It's a map of the area Mc'kinsey was last seen in," Meghan said, gracing Jim with a smile......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jim, Jim are you there?" Blair's voice sounded worried and it called him back to reality.

"Yeah, I'm fine, tell Sonia that I'll be home as soon as I can and I'll read her a thousand stories. Listen love, I have to go now, they want me off the phone. Remember I love all of you and I'll be home soon, promise."

"You always keep your promises Jim, take care in there and be careful, and know that we all love you, bye."

Jim kissed his hand and pressed it into the receiver of the phone. "Love you too." He held the phone to his heart for a while before hanging it up.

END PART 9