IMPERIAL SENTINEL 3: HOMEFRONT

By Stormwolf Dawn

Rated: PG

Summary: On a visit to Blair's homeworld, Sentinel and Guide find trouble

 

IMPERIAL SENTINEL 3: HOMEFRONT

By Stormwolf Dawn

"Chief! " Jim Ellison yelled for his guide. The Imperial Sentinel was sitting at the pilot controls for the shuttle that they had taken to Blair's Homeworld. With Blair's permission, Jim had piloted the ship the entire way. Jim had enjoyed piloting again. When he had become a Sentinel, all his liscenses had been revoked. He knew that he really wasn't supposed to be flying, but Blair had said that it was okay. That was enough for Jim.

"Yeah." Blair answered walking into the cockpit.

"The Tower is trying to contact us. They want visual and audio signals from us."

Realization hit Blair, "Oh, okay."

Jim relenguished his seat to Blair, who immediatly contacted the Tower. The Tower would have been in a state of panic if they had seen a Sentinel behind the controls.

"Welcome home, Guide Sandburg." the human Tower operator said with a smile. "You are cleared to land on Platform 7."

"Thank you," Blair answered then flipped of the viewcom. Blair turned to Jim. "You heard the man. Land this puppy." Blair laughed.

Jim took back the controls, and with perfect ease landed the large Imperial shuttle on the Platform. After Jim shut off the engines, techs ran on to the platform and secured the shuttle to the landing.

Blair was in the back, packing up his personal belongings. "Mom said she would be at the market. While we are there I thought that I would buy you some clothes. You walk around in this desert air in black and you'll be dead in a day."

Jim just smiled and helped his guide pack.

Together Guide and Sentinel descended the ramp onto the desert world of Tao 7.

They or at least Blair was greeted at the bottom by several officials. They shook hands, and Blair told them he was not their in an official capacity, just on vacation. The officials nodded, and left Blair with their farewells and good wishes.

Blair shook his head, and walked from the platform into the terminal. There he hired a cab to take them into Cheyenne, the capital city.

In Cheyenne, Jim followed his guide as the young anthropologist maneuvered his way through the market, trying not to jostle people. The young guide seemed in his element as he moved through the crowd offering "excuse me's" and apologies.

Blair stopped at a clothing stand. A small long haired old man with obvious Native American coloring sat in an old chair behind the stand. Beside him a young girl, probably only fourteen was folding some of the clothes. When Blair stopped at the stand, she looked up and smiled. Blair smiled back.

The young girl's eyes widened when Jim came to stand behind Blair. Her eyes immediatly darted to Blair's left wrist to see the gleeming guide band.

"Can I help you, Guide?" the girl asked.

"Yes, I need to purchase some desert garb for my sentinel." Blair said.

The girl risked a glance at Jim, then turned her gaze back to Blair. "We have some made from annuia, sir. Or some made from silk or satin."

"Was the annuia dyed?" Blair asked. Annuia fibers were naturally black.

"Yes, Guide." The girl said dissapointlingly. Annuia was more expensive than silk or satin.

"Then I shall take a look at your silk robes." Blair said. The girl showed him several robes, loose trousers, and shirts made from silk. Blair chose some, holding them up in front of Jim to see if they would fit. Jim just stood there patiently. The colors Blair chose were all a light blue, or light brown.

Finally Blair made his purchases, and asked for a place to change much to the surprise of the girl.

After recovering from the shock of the question, she motioned to a tent set up for just such purposes.

"Did you wish to buy something for yourself, Guide?" The girl asked still a bit confused.

Blair realised why she was shocked. Jim was a pet. Pet's didn't need privacy to have their attire changed. After all, no one used a changing room to switch saddles on a horse.

Blair thought quickly, then selected a few shirts for himself, and the girl seemed satisfied.

Jim followed Blair into the tent. "Thanks, Chief. I really wasn't looking forward to stripping in front of the gods and everybody."

"Man, I completely forgot about that. I've been on the ship too long."

Jim nodded. At least on the ship, Jim had some privacy. Not from Blair, or the Empress, or for that matter none of the Royal Family or the Royal Entourage, but from the regular citizenry on the ship.

Bringing his thoughts back to the present, Jim stripped out of his black uniform, and tried on a pair of light blue silk loose trousers, a blue silk shirt, and a loose blue robe with a hood to protect his head from the sun. He belted the robe around his waist, then pulled his boots back on. Blair nodded, and Jim packed up the rest of the clothes, and Blai purchased them. Before they left the tent, Blair however, changed shirts.

They continued their walk through the market place, both laden down with their belongings.

"We should be getting close to my mother's stand. She sells lotions, and scented oils." Blair said.

Jim's nostrils flared. He filtered out as Blair had taught him all the unwanted scents, and found a scent of lavender, rose, and peach. It was light and pleasant.

"There it is." Blair said, and quickened his pace.

They made it to the stand that held colored glass bottles of scented lotions, and oils. Behind the stand sat a young woman with reddish brown hair, and a lovely smile. Her eyes lighted up at the sight of her son.

"Blair!" She cried, and stood up throwing her arms around her son's neck in an exuberant hug.

Blair hugged her back. "Mom! Its good to see you."

They withdrew from the hug, Naomi holding her son out at arm's length to get a good look at him. "Oh, Blair I swear you've grown two inches." She said smiling. "Maybe just in the hair." Blair joked.

Naomi laughed.

"Your brother and sister will be here soon. They will so excited to see you."

"As I will them."

Naomi gestured to the tent behind her stand. "Go inside, and relax, honey. There's fruit and water. I still have a few hours more of keeping the shop open."

Blair smiled, "alright, Mom." And with that he ducked inside the tent with Jim at his heels.

Inside the tent the floor was covered in rugs, and pillows. On a small knee high table sat a dish filled with fruits, and cheeses. Beside the platter sat a pitcher of water, and four cups.

Blair sat crosslegged on teh ground next to the table. He reached over and lifted the pitcher pouring the water into two of the cups. Jim sat down beside his guide, and Blair handed him one of the cups. Jim took it gratefully, the sweltering heat already getting to him. He drank the water, and Blair motioned to the fruit. "Go ahead and eat what you want. Its fresh, and really good."

Jim nodded, and picked up a peach, biting into it. The sweet juice filled his mouth and tickled his enhanced taste buds. The sensation was wonderful and the setninel mentally turned up the dial on his sense of taste. As the juice's sweetness heightened, Jim continued to turn up the dail until he was lost in the taste.

"Jim..Jim, man. Come on back. Listen to my voice and follow it back. Turn down the dial, Jim. Come on man."

Blair's soft monotone penetrated the fog, and Jim followed it back to reality.

He found himself sitting on the cushions. The peach was gone, and his hand was wet, but not sticky. Blair was kneeled down in front of him holding a wet washcloth that he had used to clean off the sticky peach mess on his hand.

"Are you back?" Blair asked the concern in his voice apparent.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm back." Jim answered.

"Man, you scared me." Blair said as he stood up.

Jim shrugged a half-hearted apology. He was embarrassed at having zone on the taste of a peach.

Blair placed the cloth back into a basin of water, then regained his seat.

The tent flap opened up and Naomi walked inside. Behind her came a young woman wearing a cadet uniform of the Earth Military. The badge on her arm told Jim that she was in training to be a fighter pilot.

"Alisha!" Blair exclaimed and stood up. The two embraced each other.

"Oh, Blair. Its good to see you!" Alisha said as she hugged the guide.

"You, too. Cadet Black Wolf."

Alisha smiled, then grabbed his wrist above the guide band, "And you! You did it. Guide Sandburg. It has a nice ring to it."

Blair smiled back. "So what are you doing here?"

"I got some personal leave. In two months I'm going to Mars Base to begin training. I can hardly wait."

"I am so glad for you, Alisha. You'll make a great fighter pilot. What do you plan to do after that?"

"My scores were high enough that I am seriously considering Ranger School."

Behind them, Jim lowered his head and closed his eyes at the mention of Ranger School. Even after so many months of being a sentinel, it still hurt to think that everything he had worked so hard for a been ripped out of his grasp, and in return had been handed a collar and tags. Jim fought the tears that threatened to fall.

Blair's empathic abilities entirely focused on the bond between sentinel and guide felt the anguish rising up from his sentinel, and looking upon Alisha, Blair understood why.

"I'm staying with Father, Blair. Come out and see me sometime, alright. Don't be a stranger." Alisha said.

"I promise I will." Blair said.

Alisha smiled, "I've gotta go. Father wanted some of Naomi's vanilla oil, and I need to get back. By, Teddy Blair." She teased.

Blair blushed furiously, "'Lisha, you promised." He said in a hoarse whisper.

Alisha put her hand over her mouth, "Ooops. Sorry." She gave Blair a quick kiss on the cheek, the hugged Naomi goodbye. After Alisha and his mother left, Blair went immediatly to Jim, placing his hand ont he sentinel's shoulder.

"I am sorry Jim. I wish I could change things for you."

"Its not your fault, Chief." In the time that Alisha had said her goodbyes, Jim had retreated his emotions back behind the fortress within, and no trace of his emotional turmoil remained.

The tent flap opened taking Blair's attention from Jim as three minature whirlwinds blasted their way inside. The three tornadoes turned out to be Blair's siblings, his younger brothers, who were identical twins, David and Sean, and his sister Alicia. The three hugged their brothers babbling excitedly, and trying to squeeze their brother.

"You've guys have gotten so big!" Blair exclaimed. "Good grief, Davey. You and Sean are getting tall!"

"Blair did you bring us anything!" The all asked practically in sync. Blair rolled his eyes.

"Of course."

Naomi came inside. "You can all get your gifts later at home. Its time to pack up now, and leave."

A chorus of aaaahs met with this but Naomi only lifted an eyebrow and the kids set to work packing up everything in the tent. Blair stood up and helped as well. Jim helped by staying out of the way. It didn't take long for them to pack away the supplies, and load them on the packhorse waiting out behind the tent. When it was all packed, and only the tent remained, Blair motioned for Jim to follow him.

"Can you ride?" Blair asked in a low voice only the sentinel could hear. Jim nodded.

Behind the tent were four horses. One, the packhorse, a brown gelding was laden with all the supplies and tied by a lead tot he palomino mare that was in the lead. Naomi had already settled herself in the saddle of the palomino mare, and was helping Alicia scramble up behind her. The saddles were merely pads stuffed with cotton to provide a more comfortable seat, and covered the beast's back from withers to hindquarters providing enough room for two riders. The boys were mounting up on a red sorrel gelding, leaving the grey dappled gelding for Blair and Jim.

Blair easily swung into the saddle, and scooted up toward the withers to provide room for Jim. The sentinel placed his foot in the vacated stirrup and swung up behind his guide.

Naomi led the group through the near empty streets of Cheyenne. It was late afternoon, and the sun was still beating down unmercifully, but the inhabitants knew that they needed to get home, and get ready to stay indoors before night fell. Outside of Cheyenne they followed a dirt road that led them past several farms. The farms all looked near the same with small adobe houses, and barns, with livestock in stone fences. Pipes connected the adobe houses to the barns, and people were out feeding the animals, working in their fields.

Finally, after three hours of riding they came to the Sandburg farm. Like the others they had passed, the Sandburg farm held adobe barns and a small house. They had goats, sheep, and chickens, and a small field that dimporia plants grew in. They rode the horses through an open gate into a large stone corral attached to a barn. They dismounted, and began to unsaddle the horses. The children unpacked the packhorse, and carried the supplies either into the house or the barn, while Naomi unsaddled the horses, and curried them. Blair helped his mother, and Jim sat on the fence, watching, and out of the way.

The sentinel would notice that Naomi would glance at him every now and then. Covert glances that Jim would catch, but was unable to read the emotion in her eyes.

When they were done, the horses were given feed, the corral gate closed and locked, and they all went inside the adobe home.

The house was as small as the outside made it appear with only a small livingroom with a large sofa that took up most of the room along with a fireplace, a kitchen that had an iron stove, a bathroom with only a vacumn toilet, and a sonic sink and shower. The other two rooms were bedrooms. One was obviously Naomi's with a large bed with light rose colored sheets, and blankets, handwoven carpets, and rugs along with draperies. The other room held four twin size beds.

Once inside, Naomi headed for the kitchen to make diner, while the kids sat down in front of the sofa and pulled a game of Imperial Stones from beneath the furniture. Imperial Stones was a game of strategy that could sometimes play for days. Jim had been about to find a comfortable place to sit down, out of the way, when Blair motioned to his sentinel to follow him.

Jim followed his guide through the kitchen and out the backdoor. Blair picked up a set of keys that had been hanging on the wall near the door. Hoping he wasn't going to be locked up in the barn for the night, but figuring his guide wouldn't do that, Jim followed.

Out behind the house was a chain link fence surrounding to what to Jim looked like a small pool. The pool was perhaps three feet deep, with no water.

"Because of the water rationing here, we have to use sonic showers." Blair said. Jim shivered at that. A sonic shower was torture for a sentinel. "Exactly." Blair said noticing Jim's shudder. "So I sent my mother the money to build this a few years ago, before I met you." Blair said with an apologetic tone.

Blair unlocked the gate, and they stepped into the fenced in area. The pool was three feet deep, made of stone, and was rectangular, five foot wide and nine feet long.

Jim looked at it, and knew that this was his bathtub. He was going to be bathed, out in the open with only a chain link fence between him and prying eyes. It made him feel completely uncomfortable, but here was little he could do about it.

Blair told him to wait here, saying he was going to get some supplies. Jim watched his guide leave the fenced in area, closing and locking the gate behind him. Which just made Jim feel even more closed in, even though it was for his protection.

Since Jim had recovered from his bout with the flu, the Empress had decreed to Blair that the guide was from now on to to treat Jim as if the sentinel were newly bonded. Which meant that Blair bathed him, and groomed him. The rule of no one touching had been lifted partially so that Blair's family, and the Empress's family could now pet him. It was part of the honor of being a guide's family to be able to pet the guide's sentinel.

Blair returned, unlocking the gate, and stepping inside. In his hands was one of their packs which held Jim's personal items. He also had two towels over his shoulder. Setting the items on the small wooden bench, Blair started the hose on the water. The water filling the pool was not hot, nor cold, but lukewarm. In the desert heat, a hot bath would not be welcome.

Blair gave no orders. Jim knew what he was supposed to do, and needed no direction. Stripping out of his new clothes, Jim then stepped into he pool, and settled himself down in it. Blair came over with a washcloth and the sentinel safe soap.

Quickly, and efficiently, Blair bathed his sentinel thoroughly. Washing away the sweat and dust. When he was done, Jim stood up while the water drained away, and Blair toweled Jim dry. Handing the sentinel a pair of clean black boxers, Jim hurridly put them on as the gate opened to admit Naomi.

Ignoring the near naked sentinel, Naomi looked at Blair, "Dinner is ready, Blair." She said smiling at her grown son.

"Alright, mom." Blair said gathering up the supplies and replacing them back in the pack. He then picked up Jim's dirty clothes, and placed them in a laundry bag. Together sentinel and guide walked back to the house.

The family seated themselves at the table. Blair made Jim a plate and handed to the sentinel who was seated on the floor of the kitchen, his back against the wall.

During the meal, Jim could feel the eyes of the children and Naomi on him, along with his guide. It was unerving, but Jim managed to eat. The children's eyes held excitement, and curiousity, yet Jim could still not recognize the emotion in Naomi's dark eyes.

When dinner was done, the family went into the livingroom, while Naomi and Blair cleaned up.

Jim didn't want to go into the livingroom, and have to deal with Blair's siblings. However, the first time Naomi nearly tripped over him, she became frustrated, and Blair ordered him out of the kitchen.

In the livingroom, Jim laid down on a handwoven carpet in front of the fireplace. The children were playing Imperial Stones. At least the boys were. Alicia was combing one of her dolls hair. Jim ignored them, or tried to. However, Alicia got the idea that Jim was one of her dolls because she came over and began to comb his short hair. He couldn't throw her off of him, nor could he pick her up and put her someplace. Instead, Jim just got up, and walked away. Which upset the girl, Jim could see that. But the sentinel had no wish to be treated like that. His mood was meloncholy. Instead, Jim went directly into Blair's room, and crawled beneath the bed. Unlike the Empress' bed, Blair's bed was not very large. Jim used to lay under the Empress bed to avoid everyone when he was not in a good mood. The Empress usually let him, not even bothering him as long as he came out when she called.

He had thought about going to Naomi's room, and hiding under her big bed, but felt that she wouldn't like that.

Blair walked into the room and sat on his bed.

"I'm pretty sure its kind of cramped under there. You can stay under there as long as you like, you can even sleep there tonight, but I doubt it will be comfortable. But no matter how long you stay there, nothing out here is going to dissapear." And with that Blair stood up and walked out of the room."

Jim just closed his eyes, and tried to will the hurt and humiliation away.

Jim didn't realise he had fallen asleep until he was awakened by Blair's voice calling him. Jim opened his eyes, and saw Blair's face in front of him. The guide was lying on the floor in order to see Jim.

"Hey big guy, time to go to bed." Blair said.

Ellison yawned, "Then why did you wake me up."

"Because, its not very comfortable under this bed, I'm betting."

Jim tried to move and noticed his muscles had cramped a bit. "Ow." He hissed as he moved.

"Muscles cramped?" Blair asked. Jim nodded. "Can you get out from under there?"

Jim slowly crawled out from beneath the bed. He straightened up only to feel the muscles in his back cramping.

"Come on. There's a pallet in the livingroom made up for you." Blair said.

Jim followed Blair into the livingroom. The kids were tumbling out of the bathroom after having brushed their teeth heading for their beds. In the livingroom, Naomi was spreading a thick blanket on the ground on the handwoven carpet that sat in front of the fireplace. A pillow was already situated on the pallet. The woman straightened, gave Jim that strange look again, then kissed her oldest son goodnight, then walked into the kid's bedroom to bid them goodnight.

"Lay down on your stomach, Jim. I'll try and massage the cramps in your back muscles out."

Jim, who was only wearing black boxers, did as his guide said, and Blair pulled out a bottle of massage oil from Jim's bag. He rubbed the very light scented oil on Jim's broad back, and massaged the muscles. A few minutes later, Jim's soft snores told the guide that the sentinel was asleep. Wiping his hands on a towel, Blair covered Jim with the blanket, then went into his bedroom. Naomi had kissed her other children goodnight, and was already in her own bed. Blair headed for his, undressed, and climbed beneath the covers. Sleep came quickly.

Naomi Sandburg walked out of her bedroom and into the livingroom. She looked over at the sentinel that was still asleep in front of the fireplace. Watching the creature for awhile, Naomi tried to wrap her mind around the fact that Blair was a guide. Creature, good Lord,Naomi. He's a human being, not an animal. She thought. Naomi had been raised to believe the same as everyone else, at least in school. However, her parents had taught her differently at home. Her parents had been supporters of the Humans Against the Empire. Luckily they had only been supporters, not participants. In the riots that had occurred thirty years before, many of the HATE members had been killed or captured, only to be spaced for treason. It was because of her fear of what could happen, that Naomi had not tried to force her beliefs on her children. The Empire was too powerful to fight against. She would not have her children singled out as protestors, or worse, traitors.

Sighing, Naomi walked into the kitchen to begin breakfast.

The smells and sounds of breakfast being cooked woke the sentinel, and he opened his eyes to look at her.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Naomi asked. The sentinel blinked at her.

"Oh, I know. I am not supposed to talk to you, am I. I find it hard to believe that my Blair is a guide." She said, wondering inside why she was confiding in the sentinel. "He was such a good boy growing up. Smart, always wanting to question things. We fought about his going to Guide school. I truly asked him if he wanted to be a slaver. He didn't understand, of course. He went to public school after all." She talked as she made breakfast. The sentinel seemed to listen to her.

"When I saw on the news about you, I actually cheered you on. Blair told me what happened, though. I felt kind of bad after that."

Naomi stopped talking when the sentinel suddenly turned his head in the direction of Blair's room. Naomi immedialty stopped talking and finished making breakfast as Blair came out of room yawning. He went directly to the bathroom, and finished his morning routine.

Coming into the kitchen and seating himself at the table, Blair smiled at his mother, "Morning, mom."

"Morning, Blair. How do you want your eggs?"

"Scrambled, thanks." Blair answered pouring himself a cup of coffee.

Naomi motioned in the direction of the sentinel, "What about him?" She asked.

Blair looked over at Jim, who was awake and watching them both. "Usually fried, but I don't let him have that much grease to often. Better make 'em scrambled."

Naomi bit her tongue to keep from saying what she was thinking. "Alright." She finally said.

She placed the scrambled eggs on two seperate plates. Blair picked up some of the sausage and biscuits that were also ready, placing them on one of the plates. He then put some grape jelly and butter on the biscuits. Picking up the plate, Blair took it into the livingroom and handed to Jim. The sentinel took it and the fork, and chowed down. Blair set a glass of milk on the stone fireplace, then went back into the kitchen for his own meal.

After breakfast was over, the kids took turns taking their sonic showers. When they were done, Naomi took hers, then Blair his.

When Blair came out of the bathroom dressed in loose billowy pants, and shirt, Jim drew the blanket off of him, and prepared to follow Blair out to the bath pool.

"Its to early, Jim. The sun hasn't had time to defrost everything." Blair said. Jim nodded, and pulled the covers back over him.

Nights on Blair's homeworld got below freezing, and would kill most living things. However, the native animal life buried themselves deep into the ground, and the plant life including the dimporia plants had their own natural way of storing heat and surviving the nights. Unnative creatures, such as humans and livestock had to use technology to stay warm, and never ventured out after dark.

The small adobe house had central heat and air, and the pipes connecting to the barns provided warmth for them as well. The fireplace was for when the heater went out.

An hour later, Blair was taking Jim out to the bathing pool. The kids, off for summer break, piled out of the house and began their morning chores.

"Whatya doing Blair?" Alicia asked her brother.

Blair smiled at his sister, "I am going to give Jim his bath."

"Oh. Can I help. I promise not to get soap in his eyes." Alicia asked.

Blair laughed, "I'm sure you won't. I am sure you would be very careful, but I don't think Jim will let you. He's really jumpy around others. Kinda like Kit, you remember." Blair was referring to the baby kiylo fox cub they had found and tried to raise. The little cub had not liked being manhandled, and had bittne them several times.

"Okay. Will he bite me?" Alicia asked.

"No, he won't bite you, but he could hurt himself." The little cub had hung itself in its cage. Blair had found it. His brothers and sisters had not seen the cub because Blair had buried it. He had told his siblings that the cub had not liked being in a cage and had hurt himself trying to get out, so Blair had freed it. He had not liked lying to his siblings, but had felt that they wouldn't understand. Blair had felt bad about the cub.

The little girl nodded at that, and did not attempt to follow them into the pen. Instead, she went to the barn to help her brothers feed the livestock, for which Jim was grateful. Bad enough, the Empress' chldren had seen him naked, he didn't want Blair's siblings to do so as well. To Jim it was all wrong, to the Empress it was no worse than them seeing a horse without a saddle on. For a sentinel clothes were only for protection against the elements. The Empress could easily make it were Jim wore nothing while on the protected environment of the ship. Jim had been trained to fight nude, and to not be body shy, but that was a different ballgame around children.

Jim had stripped out of his boxers, and stepped into the pool. Blair was soaping up the cloth when the sound of hoofbeats reached the sentinel's ears.

"Someone's coming on horseback. Rather fast." Jim told Blair.

"I wonder who it is?" Blair thought as he began to wash Jim's body.

The hoofbeats got closer, and suddenly Jim heard Naomi shout, "Get out of here!"

Jim stood quickly at the shout. Blair had heard it to. "Stay here." He told the sentinel. He left the pen, and locked the gate behind him. Thanks to the chainlink roof over the place, Jim was locked inside. The sentinel finished bathing himself, then dressed in the clean boxers that Blair had brought. He went to the door, unable to reach the padlock, and listened to what was going on.

Blair ran around the house to see his Mother glaring at the rider. Blair looked at the rider and recognized him immedialty.

The rider looked at Blair, "Heya Hairy Blairy. Decided to come back did ya. They throw ya out of guide school." The rider taunted.

"What do you want Jarrod?" Blair asked the rider.

"Dad sent me to ask your mom an important question. This is for adults, Blairy, why don't you go play with your toys."

"And my answer is the same as before...NO." Naomi said.

"Pop will be real dissapointed to hear that." Jarrod said, then turned his attention to Blair. "So when you get back, Blairy?"

"None of your business."

"I see you got your band. Where's your sentinel?"

Blair didn't answer, instead he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Hey Jarrod!" The other voice was also familair and was coming from behind the house. Blair blanched and raced behind the house to find three of Jarrod's friends on horseback staring at Jim who was glaring at them. Blair recognized Jarrod's friends.

Jarrod had followed Blair behind the house. "Whadya find, Doyle." Jarrod asked.

"Look at his sentinel, Jarrod." Doyle said, "All locked up inside his little cage." He laughed.

Jarrod looked at the sentinel, "Yeah he sure is. Why don't you unlock the door Blair. Surely your friends have the right to pet your sentinel." Jarrod laughed.

"You are NOT my friends. And if you touch him you'll be facing the wrath of not only me, but the IP's as well as the Empress."

"Ooooh, I am so scared." Jarrod said laughingly. "Are you scared, Doyle?"

"Oh yeah, real scared."

"I wanna pet the sentinel." One of the others spoke up. Blair blanched when he saw who it was. Pete Dorff was a large man, and Blair wasn't sure the man was sane. There were rumors that he like to torture animals, but worse were the rumors that said he was into beastiality. Blair shivered. Jim definitly didn't need Dorff touching him.

"Get out of here, Jarrod, before I call the IP's. Your father can't save you from them."

"Goes to show what you don't know, Blairy. I guess since you aren't gonna let us pet your sentinel, maybe we should just take him for a walk. Dorff, knock off the lock."

Dorff dismounted from his horse and attempted to walk over to the enclosure. Blair tried to stop him, but Jarrod grabbed Blair. Blair struggled. "Let me go. Don't you touch him!"

Blair's distress was enough for Jim. The sentinel snarled at Blair's tormentors. Dorff went over to the gate, and used the butt of his energy rifle to break the lock.

The other rider said, "Shit, Jarrod. Maybe we shouldn't free him. Damn, he's going nuts."

"Oh what you worried about, Ace. He aein't nothing but a sentinel. Dorff can handle him."

Jarrod was wrong. Jim managed not to kill Dorff, but the creep was definilty unconscious within a few seconds. Jim burst out of the pen, and managed to punch Dorff directly in the jaw. Jarrod was shocked, so much so that he let Blair go. The guide went immediatly to the sentinel to try and calm him, knowing that Jim would kill those men. "Get the hell out of here, Jarrod. Go, or I'll let him kill you all. And believe me he can do it. It wouldn't be the first time either."

Jarrod believed him, apparently. The others managed to get Dorff on his horse, and they rode away fromm the farmstead.

When they were gone, Blair released the hold he had on Jim. The sentinel watched them leave until not even he could see them.

"Damn fools." Blair growled. He took a few quick breathes to calm himself then checked Jim over. "Are you alright. They didn't hurt you or anything did they?"

"No, I am fine." Jim said curtly.

Blair noticed the sentinel was already bathed and dressed in clean boxers. "Let's go inside. I am going to call the IP's."

"It won't do any good, Blair. I've already tried that. Jarrod continues to come to the farm. I've reported him for tresspassing three times. Nothing has been done."

"Sounds kind of suspicious to me." Blair said.

"You know who Jarrod's father is. The man practically own the local IPs."

Blairs smiled, "Well there's your answer. He owns the local ones. You can report a crime to any IP facility no matter where the crime took place. Especially if the crime is as serious as attacking a sentinel."

Blair walked toward the house with Naomi by his side, and Jim at his heels. The kids followed in their wake.

"Blair are you really going to report this?" Naomi asked.

"Yes. They tresspassed, damaged propery and attempted to attack my sentinel."

Inside the house, Blair went over to the comn unit on the wall and contacted the IP facility on Orion 4.

An IP Sgt. of the Kallian race, an amphibian race, appeared on the screen. "Sgt. D'loikon, How may I help you?"

"My name is Guide Blair Sandburg, I wish to speak with Captain Shadowhawk."

"One moment, please."

A few seconds later Captain Shadowhawk appeared on the screen. "Guide Sandburg. To what do I owe the honor."

"Captain I am on Tao 7, and wish to report a tresspassing, property damage, and an attempted assault on my sentinel."

"Very serious crimes. Why are you coming to me with this."

"My mother says she has filed complaints on these same individuals for tresspassing, but nothing was done. My mother suspects since one of the culprits is the son of the Regional Govenor..." Blair trailed off letting the implication lie.

"I see. " He frowned. "I don't like the idea of corrupt IP's but it happens. Not alot since such a thing would fall under treason."

Blair nodded. IP's went through strict rigorous training, and if they survived they recieved huge benefits as well as good pay. But breaking their oath was considered treason, which kept most IP's in line.

"I will look into this Blair. Thank you for bringing this to my attention."

With that Blair said his goodbyes and signed off on the comn. Satisfied that Shadowhawk would take care of everything so that he wouldn't have to bring the Empress into it. Still, Blair knew he needed to call her and inform her of what had happened. After all, Blair may be Jim's guide, but in reality, Jim was the Empress' property.

Sighing, Blair made the call.

Jim sat on the his pallet as he listened to Blair talk to Captain Shadowhawk. Naomi had gone into the kitchen to begin lunch, and the children had gone back outside to play. When Blair signed off from talking to Shadowhawk, he then immedialty contacted the Empress. Jim nodded to himself. Jim listened to the conversation. The Empress was a bit furious. She suggested that she send a few of her guards there to help keep an eye on things. Blair shook his head, saying there was no need. He said Shadowhawk would take care of things. The Empress agreed reluctantly, but then asked about Jim's health. Blair told him that Jim had been unharmed physically by what had happened. Jim didn't like the fact that he had used the word physically. Jim was just fine all the way around, or so he thought. The Empress then signed off saying she had a meeting with the Duitrian ambassador. Blair nodded. They signed off,and Blair went into the livingroom and sat down on the sofa. Naomi brought him a glass of water.

"Thanks mom." He said.

"Blair are you sure this a good idea?" Naomi asked.

"Yes, mom. I am sure." Blair thought for a second then asked, "What did Jarrod ask you?"

"His father has been at me to marry him. I have refused him many times. He is not happy that I would choose to not be Mrs. Harold Whittaker. He has sent Jarrod many times to harrass me."

"Well, it will stop now."

After lunch, Blair turned on the news and saw that he was right. The news report was about the arrest of Jarrod Whittaker, Ace Manchin, Pete Dorff, and John Norkins. The charges were three counts of tresspassing, property damage, and attempted Imperial property damage. The camera got a close up of the boys being hauled to jail by the IP's. Blair smiled when he saw it.

The next day, Blair went into Cheyenne to make his statement along with his mother. The kids stayed at the tent with Sheila, a woman Naomi had hired to help her sometimes with the store.

For the sake of trial, Jim was forced to undergo a full physical. Everything was recorded. Jim's hand that he had used to punch Dorrf had swollen a bit. Jim had never noticed. The exam revealed a hairline fracture of one of his knuckles. The charges were increased to Damaging Imperial Property and because it was a sentinel they had damaged however indirectly, the sentence would be a Death sentence. Only for Dorff, however. The others were onvolved and would no doubt recieve life sentences if convicted. The vids that night were full of interviews with the accussed's families. They were heartbroken about it. Some even expressed the opinion that a Death sentence was too harsh for hitting what they called, "a dumb animal." Blair turned off the news when Whittaker said that.

"Stupid fool. We are not living in a democracy. A regional governor expressing such views. The man just committed political suicide. The Empress will have him ousted from his position." Blair said.

"Maybe." Jim said quietly. Blair didn't hear.

Jim had to admit his guide was smart, but politics were something that the young guide didn't quite grasp.

Two days later...

Jim walked through the Market Street ignoring some of the strange looks he was recieving, and concentrating on moving through the crowd without being jostled.

Blair was with his mother at her stand along with his siblings. The young guide had told him that he could go anywhere he wanted as long as Jim was back by lunch. Glad to be able to get away, Jim had practically made a dash for it but had still heard Blair's whispered, "Be careful."

Unlike Orion IV, there were no other sentinels around, at least that Jim could see, that he could hang out with and talk to. On Blair's home, humans and aliens alike avoided the sentinel at best, and threw hostile glances at worst. Jim stopped and watched a small puppet show being performed by a group of Darmian children that was entertaining an audience of children of all species. The children didn't notice Jim at first, but when they finally did Jim could smell the excitement coming from them and the wonder on their faces. Probably very few of them had ever seen a sentinel especially out this far in the galactic fringe.

"Jim?" A familair voice called out and the sentinel turned to see the woman who had spoke.

Forgeting fo the moment who he was and where he was, Jim looked at the woman in shock, "Lila?"

Lila Hobson smiled at Jim, but then the sentinel watched as her smile turned to a frown and tears filled her eyes. It was then that Jim remembered and suddenly felt as if the collar around his neck had suddenly increased in weight.

"Oh my God. It is true." Lila whispered, then turned her face away to hide her tears.

Wanting so badly to take her in his arms and comfort her, but knowing that he couldn't, Jim bowed his head and turned to leave.

"Don't go, Jim." Lila said in a low voice only he could hear. "There's an inn on Apache square called the White Queen. Come through the back entrance. The innkeeper will let you in with no questions. Please, Jim."

The sentinel nodded, and Lila walked away. He waited until the woman was completely gone, before he looked around to see if anyone was paying attention. Luckily, no one had noticed the conversation, not even the children. When he was sure it was safe, Jim headed for Apache square all the while trying to squash that insistent voice that told him he was crazy to go there, and that he was breaking the rules.

He made it to the square and found the White Queen Inn. Using his sentinel sight and hearing he searched and found no one watching him as he walked through the alley and up to the back entrance. The door's computer told him in a technical voice, "NO." But then the door opened and a Pak'Takain male stood there. The male eyed him with its three eyes that swivel on antennae from the sides and top of its head, then opened the door wider to allow Jim to walk inside.

The Pak'Takain male led Jim up the backstairs to avoid any other patrons and into a room. The male never said anything during the walk, but before he left the room he told Jim, "Lila will be here soon. Stay off my furniture." Then he shut the door and walked out. Jim snorted in derision, but remained standing.

A few minutes later the door opened to admit Lila Hobson. The woman's eyes shined with unshed tears but she smiled at Jim. "Jim its good to see you even under these circumstances."

"What do you want Lila. You've risked quite alot talking to me, asking me to come here. What if that innkeeper calls the IP's."

"Di' Pai owes me quite alot of money, and he has a few things he wouldn't want the IP's finding out about anyway."

"Are you still on the fugitive list?" Jim asked.

"Of course."

"I should turn you in, but no one would listen to me, except Blair."

"Your guide?" Lila asked.

Jim nodded, then looked at Lila, "How did you escape. You were the only one to escape us completely." Jim asked.

She smiled, "I have my ways."

"Who are you working for now?"

"Quinn." She said.

"Dawnson Quinn? Lila I thought you had higher standards than that."

"Why thank you, but I am not sleeping with him."

"I really didn't think you were."

"Come with me, Jim. I'll take you to a place that the Empire will never find you. Where your guide will never find you. We'll find a way to remove that thing, and we'll be together."

"You offerred me that once before. To run away with you. To abandon my duty. How did you know I was a Ranger?"

"My sources told me. What does it matter. We couldn't kill each other that day. We loved each other. Come with me Jim. You can never be a Ranger again, but if you come with me I will never treat you as a pet. Please Jim. We could be everything together."

"And what happens when I have problems with my senses. If I zone?"

"We'll bring your guide. I can have him kidnapped and no one would ever know. We'll put a collar on him and treat him like a pet."

"No. Lila, I can't. I wouldn't do it then, and I won't go with you now. I don't even know why I came." With that Jim headed for the door. Lila reached out and snagged his arm. "Don't Lila. Its over. I may have loved you, but I was a fool for letting you escape." And with that Jim left the room, and went down the stairs. The innkeeper opened the back door for him, and Jim stepped out into the alley and scrubbed the tears from his face. Leaning against the of the alley, Jim closed his eyes and tried to force away the tears.

When he had felt that he had gained control of his emotions, Jim walked out of the alley. Using sentinel sight, Jim zeroed in on the face of the clock that rested at the top of the highest tower in Cheyenne and saw that he had a few more hours before he had to be back at the tent for lunch. Breathing a sigh of relief, Jim left Apache squareand headed down Bear street. the few hours would be enough time to get his emotions together, because he knew if he came face to face with Blair, the empath would ppick up on his distress. And Blair could be worse than a dog with a bone when it came to figuring out why Jim was distressed. Jim wasn't ready to admit to Blair about his past with Lila. It was bad enough that Blair knew about Deiniera, he didn't want Lila brought into the picture.

Where Bear street crossed Running Deer Lane, Jim's hearing picked up a voice he hadn't heard in awhile. Jim turned left on Running Deer Lane and focused his sight on a knot of men in front of one of the many bars that Running Deer Lane was famous for.

Suddenly Jim stopped. What the fuck am I doing, Jim thought angrily. He was about to turn and walk away when the familiar voice called his name, "Jim!"

Jim turned reluctantly to see Colonel Simon Banks walking over to him with Lt. Rafe, Lt. Brown, and Jim noticed the new bars,Captain Megan Conner.

He waited till his old comrades were practically surrounding him.

"What are you guys doing here?" Jim asked.

"Repair work on our ship. Pirates are getting kinda of ballsy around this sector. We had a scuffle with a couple of their heavy cruisers." Simon answered.

Jim noticed Rafe was keeping watch as they spoke. Most of the crowd on Running Deer Lane were military because of the numner of bars and clubs up and down the street, so there was little danger in someone going to the IP's, but there was always that chance.

"So how long are you going to be on planet?" Jim asked trying to seem casual, hiding his nervousness. Great, first Lila, now this.

"A couple of days of repairs. I gave the crew shore leave. I knew Blair was planning to visit his family, but I thought he was going to after you got back from Orion."

Jim shrugged, "We got delayed. I ended up catching Danarian flu."

Simon's eyes widened in shock, "Jeez! That can be deadly!"

Jim nodded. Shit, I might as well. He needs to know. "Simon, I uh, just ran into Lila."

"Lila Hobson. That bitch is still alive." Megan said.

Jim nodded. "She said she was working for Quinn. How likely is that?"

"Highly unlikly. Dawson Quinn's in prison. Ranger Team III managed to snare him in an elaborate little trap.

"Simon if Lila is here, she's working for someone. She's not an independant. Someone has her leash, and if she's here, its not for a vacation. She has a contract on someone."

Simon nodded. If anyone knew Lila Hobson, it was Jim Ellison.

"Where was she staying, do you know?"

"The White Queen in on Apache square. Or at least that is were she asked me to meet with her."

"And you met with her! Jeezus Jim, even if you were still a Ranger that would have gotten you into a bit of trouble, if you didn't arrest anyway. Aaww shit, Jim. I don't mean to be cruel, but...oh shit."

"I know, Simon." Then suddenly he laughed, "Hell your know better." He waved his hand indicating their huddle.

Shit, your right." Simon said.

Jim smiled, "Simon, Blair's mom has a stand on Market Street where she sells oils and perfumes and such. If you want come by, but don't mention Lila or the fact that we talked ."

"Sure, Jim. Take care of yourself, alright."

Jim nodded.

"IP's coming." Rafe suddenly announced. The group moved acting as if they were just walking. Two IP cycles drove by amd the IP's watched Jim as he walked back toward Bear Street. Jim ignored them. He wasn't doing anything wrong that they could justify picking him up.

Once back on Bear street, Jim headed toward Market Street glancing again at the clock knowing he had just enough time to reach the tent before lunch.

At the tent, Blair, Naomi and the kids seated themselves crosslegged on cushions around a low table. Blair had bought Chinese food at of of the many restaurants close by. As they ate, they spoke of family things. No one mentioned the upcoming trial, or the news coverage that was causing quite a stir among the populace.

Jim ate his meal behind Blair, stretched out on hi side, lower back against Blair's back, methodically eating his food and trying to keep his emotions in check. Hoping Blair was not picking up on them. He didn't think it was working.

When lunch was finished, they stayed seated after Naomi removed the empty containers aorund the table. Blair was telling stories about his classes on Orion IV before he had met and bonded with Jim. His siblings listened in rapt fascination.

Jim had turned on his other side, his stomach now pressed against Blair's back, knees bent and drawn up so his thighs rested against Blair's crossed legs, his head resting on his arm as he half listened.

All the while Blair talked, the guide absently petted his sentinel's thighs pressed up against his leg. Jim knew that the unconsious petting was an attept at soothing him and that told him that Blair was picking up in his agitation.

The petting, and the empathic sendings of comfort down the bond they shared were soothing, and Jim found that he could easily fall into the enveloping warmth.

Blair smiled when he felt Jim fall sleep, but did not stop his petting of Jim's thigh, nor did he interrupt his conversation. When Jim had come back, he had felt the agitation and apprehension coming off his sentinel in waves, and wondered at what had happened to cause it. If Jim hadn't been the least bit calm like he had been, then Blair would have immediatly gotten to the bottom of it, the hell with privacy. But because he was somewhat calm, Blair figured he could find out later when they had privacy. Not for the first time Blair wondered if Jim's agitation had something to do with the trial.

Some hours later, Blair left the tent leaving Jim asleep on a handwoven rug when he heard familiar voices outside the tent. Stepping outside, Blair saw Colonel Banks, and his friends Lt. Rafe, Lt. Brown, and Megan who he noticed was now a Captain.

"What you guys doing here?" Blair asked smiling.

"Just taking in the sights, Hairboy." Henri Brown said as he put down a bottle of massage oil he had been looking at.

"Heard you were in the neighborhood, thought we'd drop by and see how you were doing." Banks answered. "We're on shore leave till repairs on the ship are done."

Blair wasn't stupid. Jim was agitated because he had run into them, probably spoken with them, and told them where he was. Probably even asked them not to mention that Jim had talked to them. Blair smiled, and inwardly shook his head. Even though it was against the rules for Jim to talk to anyone, Blair was going to let it pass. These were his friends, and old comrades in arms. As long as it never got back to the Empress, it would be fine.

"Well, come on in out of the sun. My mom took my brothers and sister to go see the circus parade."

SImon and the other Rangers walked into the tent at Blair's invitation to find Jim already awake and sitting crosslegged on the handwoven rug.

Nervous about how to act, the Rangers seated themselves at Blair's motions around the low table in the middle of the large tent. On the table was a platter of cheeses, fruit, and vegetables, as well as a pitcher of red wine.

Blair sat down with the Rangers, and Jim moved sit behind him and a little to the right.

"Help yourselves, guys. There's plenty of it."

They were a bit awkward at first, nibbling on fruit or cheese and sipping wine, but eventually they got over their hesitation and began to talk. Eventually, Simon told them about the fight with the pirate heavy cruisers, and then Simon asked Blair about the trial.

"Saw it on the vid news at one of the bars. Is there going to be any trouble from the locals because of it?"

"Maybe, I am not exactly sure. There are not that many sentinels on planet. Not counting Jim, to my knowledge there's only six. None of them have really been in the public eye here. One works for the medical examiners office, another is owned by the sentinel doctor at the Cheyenne hospital. The others are owned by the local Overlord."

The Overlord was the Elium Lord who oversaw that sector of space. The Overlord for the Tau Sector was Elima Na, and his residence was outside Cheyenne.

"You think there might be a few IP's on the take?" Conner asked.

"Maybe. My mother had reported those boys for tresspassing several times, but nothing was done."

"Because the kid is the Regional Governor's son." Simon concluded, "What does Lord Elima say about it."

"so far I haven't heard from him at all." Bloair said, "but its just a matter of time. I'm surprised, actually, that I haven't been invited to his home. Normally, that would be standard protocol. I expect that the inviation should arrive soon."

"What about the Empress?" Simon asked.

"She's allowing the Sytem Lord to handle it. She won't become involved unless it becomes neccesary. I doubt the sytem lord will allow it to become neccessary."

Simon nodded at that. At that moment Simon's communicator on his wrist beeped. "Excuse me, " He said, the tapped the front of the wrist communicator. Avoice cam eover it.

"Sir, your ship is flight worthy, and we're recieving a distress call from a freighter. It appears that it is being attacked by pirates."

"Alright. We'll be at the hangar as fast as we can." Banks looked at Blair, then his eyes slid to Jim. "Sorry Blair, but we need to go."

"Of course, of course. I understand." Blair smiled, "Good hunting."

Simon smiled as he and the others stood and left the tent.

Two days later...

Jim walked through the streets of Cheyenne as he had done everyday since he had met up with Simon and the others. He had no wish to hang around in the tent or stay at Blair' Mother's home all day. His life was too confining as it was.

So deep in thought was he that he didn't notice the man running through the streets, at least not until he was knocked over from behind and landed on the concrete. His hands were scraped raw and bleeding on the concrete as he used them to catch himself, but they were ignored next to the pain in his knee as it twisted beneath him. Turning down his pain dial as Blair taught him, Jim started to use his sense of touch to acertain the extent of his injuries.

"Oh man, I am so sorry..sorry..sorry." A familiar voice said.

Jim turned his head and looked at the man, "Sneaks?"

Sneaks looked up at Jim, "Oh, hey Ellison. What are you doing here...here..here."

Jim breathed a sigh of relief. Anyone else, or most anyone else having run into him like that injuring a sentinel would have been in a lot of trouble. But Sneaks was a mental patient. Jim could see the blue colored band on the man's right wrist that indicated that Sneaks belonged in a mental hospital. Sneaks had been diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder. The Empire had a better understanding of psychotic illnesses, and better treatments, but there was still no cures.

"Sneaks, I thought you were at the Hospital on Earth, what are you doing here?" Ellison asked. He could hear people moving away to avoid them, and someone had used a vid phone to call the police.

"They transferred me. I don't like this place, Ellison. I don't like it." And suddenly Sneaks began to cry.

"Sneaks, have you quit taking your meds?" He asked.

Sneaks nodded.

"Shit" Jim cursed under his breath, then quit talking all together as he saw a patrol hovercar fly up. Two uniformed officers stepped out of the vehicle.

"Hey Sneaks, you alright?" One of the officers asked in a friendly voice.

"No please. No please, stop. Please." Sneaks said as he brought his knees up to his chest and rocked himself.

Jim had seen Sneaks when the man had been without meds for several months, luckily Sneaks wasn't that bad off now.

"Hey, its alright Sneaks. We've come to take you back to the hospital. The doctors are worried about you."

"Please help him, he shouldn't be here, they want to hurt him." Sneaks said.

"Who, Sneaks." Then the officers noticed Jim and identified the collar around his neck.

"Shit." The other officer who had not spoken cursed, "Its him, Dary'kla."

The officer who had been speaking to Sneaks, an Elium, looked to his human partner. "Who?"

"The sentinel on the news. You know the reason we were sent here. See his tags."

The Elium reached out and gripped the tag hanging from Jim's collar. Jim let him. IP's were one of the few people who could touch him without Blair's permission. And one of the few people who Jim need have no fear that he would be hurt by them.

"Damn, you're right." The Elium IP officer gently picked up one of Jim's hands and examined the palm. "Call Central and have them send a car to pick up Sneaks and take him to the hospital. Preferably an Elium officer." Jim noticed the Elium's rank. He was a Lt. The other officer nodded and went to the car.

The Elium then turned his attention back to Jim. The other officer joined him after he finished making the call. "Why did you want another car to take Sneaks?" The human asked.

"Because I don't trust anyone else to handle this situation." The Elium said looking at the human.

"Yeah I guess you're right. To much bad blood going on here. It pisses me off that fellow officers can do that kind of shit."

"They'll get what's coming to them once this investigation is over with."

At that moment another squad car pulled up. Two Elium officers stepped out.

Dary'kla looked at them, "Good, Pen'Nath, and Menk'ta. They'll handle Sneaks with kid gloves."

The two Eliums listened as Dary'kla explained the situation, then they helped pick up Sneaks who had fallen into a catatonic state, still rocking, and crying though, and placed him in their patrol car. An ambulance hover-van also drove up and two Elium and one human attendants exited the vehicle, and came over. The human wore a Guide band.

The Guide reached out and placed a hand on Jim's head and petted him in an attempt to sooth him and keep him calm, but all it suceeded in doing was pissing Jim off. While the Guide did that, the two Eliums used scissors to cut away the pants from Jim's injured knee. The knee was purple and bruised, and swollen to about three times its normal size. Then one of the Elium attendants opened a bag and pulled out a syringe, and a bottle. Jim zeroed in on the label. Docile, of course. Jim hated that damn drug. The Elium placed the needle into the bottle, and filled the syringe with about five cc. Jim knew that fifteen cc was used to knock a sentinel out completely. The five cc would only help with the pain, and keep him realtively docile. Jim tried to move away from them not really in the mood to be given another shot of Docile, but the Guide and the other Elium held him down. The shot was delivered in Jim's neck just above the collar. When they were done they picked Jim up and placed him on a stretcher. They laid him on his side, injured knee propped up by a pillow placed between his legs. Sentinels were always laid on their stomachs or sides when in a hospital or other similiar setting. Blair had said it was tradition as long as the injury wasn't bothered by it, but Jim had pointed out that it was just another way of making sentinels feel inferior and owned. Blair had no comment after that.

Straps were used to restrain his hands to the gurney, and other straps over his side and waist held him onto the gurney for the ride.

The Cheyenne Hospital had a sentinel ward with a Guide doctor. The woman's own sentinel, a young man of about twenty seven, was laying quietly on a pallet in a corner out of the way. The woman guide was the first to meet the stretcher as it was wheeled in. She looked down at Jim and smiled. She was pretty, and Jim wondered of he could hook her up with Blair. Blair did like beautiful women.

She patted his head, and whispered sentinel soft, "Its going to be alright." He was wheeled into a room with an exam table. The straps were removed, and Jim was picked up and placed on the exam table at the doctor's instructions, and lain on his back.

The first thing they did was remove his clothing. The doctor had a Diagnostic Scanner brought in. The scanner found no broken bones, but several torn ligaments in his knee.

"Have his hands taken care of, while we prep him for surgery. Has his guide been contacted?" The woman doctor asked.

The Elium ambulance attendant informed her that Blair had been contacted and was on his way to the hospital.

While a healing lamp was placed over his hands, the Guide doctor filled a syringe with Docile, and an IV was placed in Jim's right wrist. They were going to use laser surgery to fix his knee. Once they were done it would be as good as new.

A scanner run over his collar pulled up his medical records. The doctor read over them, "I see that surgery is not a new thing for you." She said aloud not really talking to him, more like over his head.

Jim sighed.

The doors opened to admit Blair Sandburg. The guide went immediatly to Jim's side. He placed one hand on Jim's forearm and the other on Jim's forehead. "Every time I turn around I find you in a hospital it seems. Is this a hint for me to become a doctor or something." Blair asked the sentinel teasingly knowing Jim couldn't answer. The sentinel rolled his eyes.

The Guide Doctor moved over to stand on the other side of the bed. Blair looked at her, "How is he?" He asked.

"Abrasions on the palms of his hands, but those were already taken care of. His knee had several torn ligaments. A simple procedure using lasers will fix that in no time."

"What's in the IV?" Blair asked.

"Something to help bring down the swelling in the knee." She tapped the syringe she held.

"Docile?" Blair asked.

"Yes. The attendant gave him a small dose to keep him calm during the drive up here, but it would be best if he is put under before we begin the surgery."

Blair nodded.

She injected the Docile into the IV. It didn't take long for Jim to succumb to the effects of the Docile.

Blair stayed at Jim's side while the laser surgery was performed. When it was done they moved Jim to a sentinel/guide bed in a private room.

Blair stayed in the room with Jim, propped up on the guide part of the bed reading a book as he waited for Jim to wake up.

Some eight hours after Jim succumbed to the Docile, the sentinel began to stir. Jim moaned as he came awake slowly. He opened his eyes and saw Blair sitting up next to him, looking down at him with a smile. "Hey there Sleeping Beauty, time to get up."

Jim grunted as he rolled off of his stomach onto his back. He noticed that his knee wasn't painful. He also noticed that he still wasn't wearing any clothes, buta light sheet covered him up to his waist.

"What time is it?" Jim asked.

"Twenty One hundred hours Planetside. Blair answered.

Jim yawned. "I hate Docile." He said to no one in particular.

Blair smiled.

The door opened and a human attendant walked in pushing a cart. Behind her the Guide doctor also walked in. She smiled.

"I see I calculated it correctly on the tme he would wake up." She said.

"Very close, Doctor." Blair said.

"I will be releasing him into your custody today, but I figured he would be hungry so I had dinner brought for both of you."

"Thank you, Doctor."

The human attendant placed two trays on the rolling tray table, the wheeled the cart out of the room.

The Doctor came forward, and moved the sheet back from Jim's body. She examined the knee that was only a bit red from the surgery. There wasn't even a scar from the surgery. "Good as new," She said patting Jim's calf.

"I'm glad." Blair said.

The woman smiled, then left the room. Blair slid off the bed and rolled the tray table over to the bed. He took the cover off the plates to reveal the soup, crackers, and applesauce.

Jim took one whiff, and made a face, "Ugh, get that stuff away from me." He said.

"Smells fine to me." Blair said. He picked up the spoon and stirred the soup around. It was a chicken noodle soup. At least he though it was. Taking a sip, Blair decided that it was indeed chicken noodle. "Come on Jim, you need to eat."

Jim shook his head, "Not that stuff. Its not even real food."

Blair sighed and took another bite, then nibbled on one of the crackers. "Its not bad.'

Jim just looked at him, "Oh alright. Let's just get out of here."

"Good." Jim said, then swung his legs over the side of the bed. "Did you bring some clothes for me."

"No, I didn't. But Naomi brought some a few hours ago, so don't worry you won't have to walk out of here like that."

Jim was glad. Some guides wouldn't have the least bit of a problem having their sentinels walk aorund nude. Hell, Jim could walk out of the hospital nude and no one would give him a second glance.

Blair handed him some clothes, and Jim immediatly put them on. Blair took the leash form his pocket. Jim looked at him.

"Don't worry you're not in trouble. This is just hospital policy."

Jim nodded at that, then lifted his chin so that Blair could attach the leash to his collar. "I'll remove it once we are outside the hospital."

Jim followed Blair to the reception desk where he placed his palm on the desk screen. The computer automatically check Jim out of the hospital, and the sentinel and guide left.

Once outside, Blair removed the leash and stuck it back into his pocket. They took a cab hover-car back to main market where Naomi awaited them.

"Its going to get dark to soon, Blair."

"I know, Mother. I rented us a room tonight at one of the hotels so we won't have to risk being caught after dark."

Naomi nodded. Blair siblings were already packed, and they all piled into a cab hover-car that took them to the Hotel.

The Hotel had been nearly booked solid so they had only one room.

The room had a sitting room and one Empress size bed in the bedroom. It had two couches and a sofa. They ordered dinner from the food dispenser and ate around the large dining table as they wached the vid. Night had already fallen outside and the temperature had dropped to 40 below zero within the first hour of darkness, and reached 60 below two hours after dark. When they were done with dinner, they took turns showering. Blair took his shower last after he bathed Jim. Naomi kissed each of her children and bid them goodnight. They then went to their chosen sleeping places. The boys immediatly claimed the big bulky couches. Alicia slept with Naomi and Blair on the bed, while Jim slept across the foot of it with a light blanket covering him.

Jim moved through the jungle on silent padded paws. Moving though the underbrush he came upon a familiar Temple. Waiting for him on the broken steps was a gray wolf. The wolf whined a it suddenly began to shiver. Jim felt the cold too and watched in shock as snow fell on the jungle. The wolf's breath turned into ice crystals as he exhaled.

Jim padded forward, and the wolf nuzzled his neck just above the gold collar. Jim could feel ice on the wolf's fur. Jim shivered, he could feel his own fur being covered in ice as the temperature began to drop. The wolf laid down, curling his tail over his paws, and nose. Jim laid down beside the wolf trying to combine their body heat. He shivered again and looked at the wolf. The beast's eyes were closed, frozen shut forever, and Jim realised he no longer heard the heart beating. He cried out in anguish, but eventuall he began to succumb to the numbing cold...

Jim woke with a start and stared out into the dark room, breathing hard, his heart pounding in his chest. He looked around. Blair was snuggled beneath the covers, the dark grey comforter rising and falling with his breath. Alicia was curled up next to Blair on top of the covers. Naomi slept on her back, smiling and peacefull in dreams. Luckily he had not woken them up.

Jim laid back down willing his heart and breathing to slow down back to normal. As he closed his eyes, Jim shivered wishing his blanket was a bit heavier.

When morning came, the family dressed and left the hotel. Blair paid the bill, and they walked back to the tent where Naomi set up store again.

Two hours after store was set up a slave came to the tent with a messag for Blair.

The slave bowed to Blair and handed over a letter made from fine paper sealed with wax. Blair took the envelope, and the slave left bowing as he went. Blair went back inside the tent where Naomi was filling orders and Jim lay on a mound of pillows. Blair opened the envelope.

"What is it, honey.?" Noami asked.

Blair read it to himself, "Its an invitation from Lord Elima. He's having a Charity Ball at his home."

"Are you goin?" His mother asked.

Blair smiled at his mother, "Mom, I say invitation becaus its the polite term, but in actuality its an order and those who get them had better show up or have a damn good reason not to."

"Oh." Naomi said with a frown.

"Don't worry, Mom. Its no big thing. I show up, mingle a bit, donate some money whatever charity they are hosting, then leave."

"Doesn't sound like fun." Naomi said.

"Its not supposed to be...at least in my opinion." Blair said smiling.

Naomi laughed at that. "Alright, I guess I shouldn't worry. My friends are always telling me I should be excited that you work for the Empress, but all I do is worry. Afraid some assassin will take you out, or a rival maybe."

"That's what Jim's for, Mom. No assassin could hope to get past a sentinel, and they don't even try." Blair didn't bother to mention the one that did try. No need to worry his mother over that.

"So when is this Ball?"

"In three days."

"Will you take him with you?" Naomi asked indicating the sentinel.

"Yes, of course. They’ll be expecting me to bring Jim. Other Guides will be there, and will be bringing their sentinels. Its part of the protocol. "

"I see." Naomi said.

"I need to go and get some stationary to send a reply." Blair said.

"Oh, Blair while you are out could you pick me up a cheese wheel." Naomi said.

"Sure, Mom." Blair said. Making a motion with his hand, Blair then walked out of the tent.

Jim, recognizing the motion as a signal he had been taught that basically meant ‘heel’, stood up and followed Blair out of the tent.

They walked through the streets maneuvering carefully through the throngs of Terrans and aliens. Blair found the shop that sold stationary as well as other knick knacks. It was one of the few indoor shops on Market Street since most were outdoor shops like Naomi’s. On the door was a sign that said that the shop was leash restricted, therefore Blair took the leash from his pocket and attached it to Jim’s collar, then they both walked inside. The proprietor was a Kallian, and knew the honor of having a Guide in his shop. When Blair explained what he wanted, the proprietor showed him several selections of fine stationary. Blair chose one, and added a fountain pen to the order. The proprietor placed a data pad in front of Blair, and the young guide placed his thumb on the appropriate space. A quick scan of Blair’s DNA, and the money was debited from his account. He then thanked the proprietor and left the shop.

Once outside the shop, Blair removed the leash, and they continued on to the outdoor shop where Blair bought the cheese wheel for Naomi. Once that was done, they returned to Naomi’s tent, and Blair began to write out a reply.

Blair paid a small fee to a courier to send the reply to Lord Elima Na. After he paid the fee, Blair went back inside, and the family ate lunch. When lunch was done, Jim went out on his own to explore Cheyenne some more with admonitions from Blair to be more careful. Jim just rolled his eyes, out of Blair’s sight of course, and left the tent.

Nothing untoward happened that day, and Jim returned in time for the family to travel back to their home. Jim rode quietly behind Blair on the gelding, and the only ones to talk where the twins.

At home the normal routine was followed. Jim was bathed, dinner was eaten, the family showered, and all of them turned in for the night.

In the morning before Jim’s bath Blair came out of his room with the pouch he usually wore on his uniform belt. Naomi was in the kitchen fixing breakfast, and the twins were playing Imperial Stones in the livingroom where Jim lay on his pallet. Blair’s sister was in the kitchen helping her mother.

From the pouch Blair pulled out an empty syringe, and popped off the cap. Setting the bag down on a table, Blair dug through it for the correct bottle. Jim watched him. When Blair brought out the bottle, Jim’s sight zeroed in on the label to read it. The liquid was sentollin, the male sentinel birth control drug. After returning to the Imperial ship, Blair had discontinued the use of the sentollin since there were very few female sentinels on the ship.

Blair pushed the needle inside the container, and filled the syringe completely with sentollin. Tapping the syringe a few times to remove air bubbles, Blair walked over to where Jim lay. The sentinel sighed and rolled over onto his stomach as he waited. From their position on the couch, the twins watched curiously.

Blair knelt down beside Jim and removed the blanket from Jim’s body. With a comforting pat on Jim’s back, Blair pulled back Jim’s boxers to reveal the top of his hip. Rubbing an alcohol pad on the ‘V’ like area of Jim’s left buttock, Blair then pressed the needle into his sentinel pushing down on the plunger injecting the sentinel with the drug. The shot was big, and always left Jim sore, so when Blair pulled out the needle he rubbed the place gently to relieve some of the soreness. When he was done, Blair pulled Jim’s boxers back up, and returned the supplies to his pouch.

Breakfast was consumed, and bathes were done. They then mounted onto the horse with Jim sitting behind Blair on Blair’s horse, and rode into Cheyenne.

That day, Blair decided he wanted to buy some gifts for friends back on the ship and Orion. Therefore he and Jim spent the day moving through the marketplace. The market street had indoor shops as well as outdoor shops lining either side. Since most of the shops had a leash restriction policy, Blair decided to just leave the leash on as they moved through market street, so Jim was forced to follow Blair as he went from shop to shop picking out items and looking them over. Sometimes he bought something, and sometimes he didn’t. Jim sighed about halfway through it. Blair smiled at the sound but said nothing, and continued his shopping spree.

"Blair!" A familiar feminine voice shouted trying to catch the young guide’s attention. Blair turned and saw Alisha Black Wolf heading in his direction. He stopped and waited for her smiling.

Alisha was wearing civilian clothes instead of her uniform. Light brown shirt and khaki’s along with brown boots completed her wardrobe.

Alisha hugged Blair when she reached him, and Blair hugged her back. "What are you up to brat?" Alisha asked.

"Just shopping, how about you?" Blair answered.

"The same. Thought I’d find Father something for his birthday."

"That’s in a few days isn’t it?" Blair asked.

"Hmm, yes, four says actually. Can’t seem to decide what to get him."

"I’m sure you’ll find something. Walk with me if you will." Blair invited.

"Alright." She said and fell into line beside Blair. Jim trailed behind on Blair’s other side still on the leash.

"What are you shopping for?" Alisha asked.

"Gifts for a few of my friends back on the ship."

"Wow, must be exciting living on the Imperial Ship. What’s it like?"

"Strange actually. I really don’t have my own room. Instead I sleep in the Empress’ room in an alcove bed…except for a few times when uhm…well…uh…you know." Blair actually blushed a bit.

"You know Blair you are too cute when you blush. Its called mating, Blair. I know you’ve done it a few times." Alisha teased.

Blair laughed, but continued to blush.

They continued to shop. Alisha found her father a handcarved cigar box, and Blair found a few gifts for his siblings and his mother before they parted ways and the guide headed back to the tent.

Dinner was eaten, and the group headed back to the homestead.

Jim received another dose of sentollin the next morning in his other hip. In Cheyenne, Blair allowed Jim to go off on his own again while he went on a date with Alisha.

Finally the say of the Ball dawned. Blair gave Jim a dose of sentollin, then bathed him. He dressed Jim in one of the sentinel’s black uniforms, and combed his hair. He placed a small hoop earring in Jim’s left ear in the hole that the Empress had insisted Jim receive, then polished the sentinel’s collar. Blair himself dressed in his gray uniform, polished the bracelet he wore, donned his earrings, and tied his long hair back in a tail. He polished both his and Jim’s boots, then called for a flyer to pick them up.

The flyer was a newer model with a darkened window that separated the passenger area from the driver area. Blair sat down on the back seats with Jim sitting on the floor back against the seat between Blair’s legs since sentinels weren’t allowed to sit in the seats. Blair had secured the leash to Jim’s collar with the other end secured to the bracelet he himself wore. The metallic leash had also been polished.

Blair had warned Jim to expect anything, he himself not knowing what might happen at the Ball. The driver stopped outside Alisha’s home. Blair had invited her as his date. She stepped out of her house wearing a deep green shimmering dress that had a slit up one thigh. Her shoes were deep emerald, and she wore her hair up. Earrings, and a necklace made of gold completed her outfit. She looked stunning. The driver stepped out of the vehicle and opened the door for her. She slid inside and seated herself next Blair. The guide smiled at her.

"You look beautiful tonight, Alisha. Not that you don’t look beautiful every time I see you. "

Alisha laughed, "Oh Blair you haven’t changed a bit, have you?"

"Why did you want me to?" He asked innocently.

Alisha laughed again. "The universe would surely end if Blair Sandburg changed."

"The world perhaps, but I think the universe would survive."

Alisha shook her head, and leaned against her old friend. Blair smiled back, enjoying the feel of her next to him. He laid one hand around her shoulders, and kissed her cheek. "I promise I won’t change if you don’t, ‘Lisha."

"Alright, Bear." Alisha answered.

A few moments of silence passed, and Blair noticed that Alisha’s gaze went to the sentinel every now and then. Jim just sat quietly, leaning back against the seat, his head lain down to the side on Blair thigh, eyes half closed. Blair smiled and reached out paying his hand on Jim’s shoulder. He then looked at Alisha.

"Everything alright?" Blair asked.

"Yeah. Its kind of strange, you know. I mean I know he’s a sentinel, but sometimes you can forget." Alisha said.

"I know what you mean." Blair said quietly.

Alisha looked at Jim hesitantly.

"Go ahead, "Lisha. It won’t hurt him or you." Blair said giving permission.

Alisha smiled at Blair’s comment and reached out laying her hand on Jim’s head. At the unfamiliar hand, Jim stiffened, but Blair soothed Jim with soft words spoken in a low tone, and by rubbing his hand across the back of Jim’s shoulders. Alisha had stopped Jim’s reaction, but with Blair’s nod, she moved her hand down Jim’s head and neck to the top of the collar then moved her hand back up and repeated the motion several times, petting the sentinel.

Jim watched her carefully out of the corner of his eye, but felt that if Blair trusted her, then she could be trusted. He endured the petting, concentrating not on her hand but on Blair’s hand moving across his back and the voice only he could hear.

Alisha took her hand away and smiled at Blair. "Thank you, Blair. That was nice." She said.

"I’m glad." Blair answered.

Within an hour the driver stopped in front of the Lord’s Manor which was outside Cheyenne. The Manor was large with a stone fence surrounding the well tended grounds. A large fountain using simulated water stood in front of the Manor. A statue of an Elium centered the fountain with a slave guide standing beside the Elium and a sentinel kneeling down on all fours at the Elium’s feet. The Elium statue was fully clothed. The guide wore a loincloth as slaves sometimes did, but the sentinel was completely nude with only the collar to identify the statue as a sentinel. The fountain had no doubt been made when humans were still slaves to the Empire. The guide bracelet had not been adapted until after humans gained their freedom.

The driver opened the door and helped Alisha out. Blair followed behind her with Jim bringing up the rear. The driver then shut the door, and got inside the flyer. The flyer left to return when the Ball was over, and Blair and Alisha headed inside.

The doorman took Blair’s invitation, and wrote down Alisha’s name when Blair gave it to him naming the woman his guest. The doorman then opened the door, and handed the invitation to a human slave who wore only a loincloth. The slave rushed ahead of them to deliver the invitation to the herald who stood waiting at the entrance to one of the ballrooms.

The herald looked over the invitation, then marched through the doors to the ballroom that were opened by two guards.

In a loud and clear tone, the herald announced Blair and Alisha to the guests. Several of the guest turned at looked at the guide and the woman he was escorting along with the sentinel that trailed behind them. A servant came forward, bowed at the waist then asked Blair to follow him to what he called the display room. Blair followed.

They went through another set of doors that led into another ball room. Inside the ballroom which Blair knew was soon to be opened were several large square cages about the size of an Empress’s bed. The walls of the cages were made of a clear plasglass and the floor was a soft feathered mattress with a silk sheet covering it. Inside a some of the containers were sentinels. One held four sentinel children ranging from ages of four to eight. Inside that cage was also several toys, and stuffed animals for the kids to play with. The others held one sentinel each. Three males, and two females.

The first thing that Jim noticed was that the sentinels wore nothing but their collars. The second thing was the empty cage that the servant unlocked and opened the door to.

Jim seriously considered balking. He wanted to dig in his heels and refuse to move, and to hell with the consequences. Instead, Jim followed Blair as the guide walked calmly over to the cage. The servant handed Blair the lock, then left the room through the doors.

The other sentinels watched them from inside their display cages. Blair quickly and efficiently removed Jim’s boots and his uniform. Jim stayed quite eyes staring straight forward his mind telling him to fight back. He crushed the thoughts as they appeared, wishing he could listen to them.

Finally, Blair removed Jim’s boxers leaving the sentinel completely nude. He then removed the leash and ordered Jim into the cage in a tone that brooked no nonsense. The guide knew that Jim was considering running or fighting, and was not going to give Jim the opportunity to do so. He didn’t want to have to punish Jim again.

The sentinel stepped into the cage, and Blair closed and locked the door behind him. He then gathered up Jim’s clothes, folded them neatly and laid them carefully beside the cage. With one last look at the sentinel, he and Alisha left the display room and went into the other ballroom.

Jim watched them go, then laid down on the mattressed floor on his stomach finding that to be the least embarrassing position. Its things like this that make me really hate being a sentinel. Jim thought. He ignored the other sentinels, and closed his eyes.

Inside the other ballroom, Lord Elima Na entered and was announced. The men and women bowed and curtseyed as one. Elima Na then motioned for them to rise, and they did so. He then moved through the crowd with one guard at his side, and his Mate on his arm.

He easily found Blair and started up a conversation. He asked how Blair was enjoying being a guide, about living on the Imperial ship and what he thought on the current difficulty. He also apologized for not stepping in sooner. He had been off planet at the time.

Blair answered his questions simply, not trying to elaborate. Then thanked Lord Elima Na for the apology.

A few minutes later, Elima Na stepped away from Blair to confer with a servant. The herald then announced that he display room was open and invited the crowd to step inside.

Inside the display room, the people gathered. The live sentinels were not the only displays. Blair hadn’t noticed before but statues and holograms made up more of the displays. The statues like the fountain displayed sentinels and guides along with their Elium masters. A holographic video that Blair dislike immensely showed a sentinel mating, and a computer voice explained the significance of the display. Another holographic projection showed and explained a bit about sentinel training showing sentinel children learning how to use their senses by playing games invented by the Observors. At one point it showed a full grown sentinel being disciplined by his guide. The unfortunate male sentinel laying over his male guide’s lap as he received a spanking for a transgression. Blair drifted away from it quickly remembering the time that he done exactly that to Jim. There were other holographic videos being shown. All were about sentinels. Lord Elima Na was hoping to create a sentinel museum similair to his display room in an attempt to let citizens understand sentinels a bit better. Blair supposed it was a good idea, even if he didn’t like it himself.

Alisha was fascinated by the displays and watched them intently. Blair drifted to the cage that Jim was in. His sentinel was laying on his stomach and appeared to be asleep. Blair knew that he probably wasn’t. In fact, as soon as Blair came within range, Jim lifted his head and looked directly at his guide, then laid his head back down on his arms.

"Beautiful." Lord Elima said as he moved to stand beside Blair. "A fine looking sentinel, Guide Blair. No wonder the Empress keeps him for herself."

"Uh, thanks." Blair said unsure of how to take such a compliment.

"Perhaps next year I can pay the stud fee. The Empress set it at very steep price. I wasn't sure it would be worth it. But now that I get a first hand look at this fine animal, I know it would be well worth it." Lord Elima took a sip of his fine Imperial wine.

Blair said nothing, just nodding in agreement with the Elium Lord.

"When I returned from off world, the first message I recieved was from the Regional Govenor expressing his concern for his son and the boy's friends. I was completely disgusted that he would ask me to intervene. Oh I will intervene, but not in the manner he suggested."

"How will you intervene, My Lord?" Blair asked.

Lord Elima looked at Blair for a long enough time that Blair wondered if he had gone too far, but then the Lord took another sip of his wine and said, "I am appointing a new territorial govenor as soon as I recieve the resignation letter that I demanded."

Blair nodded.

Lord Elima looked at Jim for a few more moments, then said, "I wish to see him better."

Blair knew an order when he heard one. He tapped on the glass and Jim lifted his head. Blair made a motion with his hand. The sentinel rolled his eyes, but stood up at the wordless command.

Lord Elima studied the sentinel closely, noting the few scars on the ex-Ranger's body.

Another hand motion from Blair and Jim sighed and turned around, his back to them.

Lord Elima sneered, "Damn traitorous bastard. He ruined a perfect back with his cruelty."

Blair knew Lord Elima was talking about Deneron. The thin white scars still marred Jim's back. Even Imperial technology could not remove the scars completely, and scars, even the ones on Jim's back, were considered a badge of honor, and were therefor never removed anyway.

"A magnificent specimen of a sentinel, Guide Sandburg. You should feel honored. I doubt there is an ounce of fat on that body."

Blair thanked Lord Elima, and the Elium nodded his head then walked away from the cage toward a crowd of aliens watching one of the holo vids.

When Elima left, Blair made another motion with his hands releasing Jim for the moment. The sentinel growled in disgust and laid back down on the floor of the cage. Blair stared at Jim a long time until a hand on his arm brought him back to reality.

"Blair if I didn't know any better I'd think you zoned." Alisha said.

Blair smiled at her, "Sorry, just lost in thought."

"Now that's a frightening statement." 'Lisha laughed.

Blair laughed with her, and they continued to move around the room talking with other aliens, and other guides. Blair got a good look at the other sentinels in the room, and talked with their guides at length.

The ball benefited homeless shelters, and psychological disorder research, and Blair donated generously. Eventually, the ball winded down, and Blair collected Jim, dressing the sentinel, and replacing the leash. Blair said his goodbyes to the host, then offerred the Lord the opportunity to pet Jim, which Elima took with delight. Jim endured having the Elium Lord rub his hand down Jim's head and neck a few times, then Lord Elima bid them a goodnight.

Jim followed Blair and Alisha out of the mansion, and into the flyer that awaited them. He seated himself on the floorboard between Blair's legs, and laid his cheek on Blair thigh as the guide laid his hand gently on Jim's shoulder reassuringly.

They drove back to Alisha’s home. The driver stepped out and opened the door for the young cadet to exit the flyer. Alisha kissed Blair on the cheek and whispered a goodbye and a goodnight. Blair wished her the same, and watched as she exited the flyer.

"I had a great time tonight, Blair. Thanks." She said.

"I’m glad." Blair said.

Alisha smiled then headed inside.

The driver got back into the flyer and flew on.

Blair looked out the windows watching as the buildings flew by them till eventually they reached the outskirts of Cheyenne. Nightfall was perhaps three hours away.

At the end of the street, the flyer stopped.

"Is something wrong?" Blair asked the driver.

The man said nothing, and Jim lifted his head as the passenger door opened and a woman stepped inside with a blaster pointed at them. Jim tensed beneath Blair’s hand preparing to leap at the woman, but Blair squeezed the sentinel’s shoulder as a warning to just stay still.

The woman smiled as she seated herself on the seats opposite where Blair sat, her back to the front cab. "Good. Keep him under control or I will just shoot him here and now."

"Who are you? What do you want?" Blair said.

The woman looked at Jim and with a mocking tonue cluck she said, "Bad boy, Jimmy. You didn’t tell your guide about me. Perhaps I should let young Sandburg here paddle you before I kill you both."

"Fuck you, Lila." Jim growled.

Lila laughed, "You gave up your chance for that, Jimmy. Too bad though, you were a good bed partner."

"Who are you?" Blair asked again.

"I am Lila, Sandburg. And that is all you need to know." She tapped on the window separating the driver’s cab from the passenger cab, and the flyer continued on.

"She’s an assassin for hire." Jim answered the question. "I have a feeling that the territorial governor hired her to kill us."

"Now, Jimmy, no guessing about my employer." Lila said.

"Its not a guess, Lila. No one else would have a reason to kill us on this planet."

Lila smiled at the sentinel, "You were always the best, Jimmy. Only you could have brought down Deiniera. She guessed that we were sleeping together. That’s why she had you tortured. For revenge. She never knew you were a Ranger. I didn’t tell her no matter what you liked to believe."

"She wouldn’t have cared who I was sleeping with." Jim said.

"Normally, she wouldn’t have. But there’s just something about you Jimmy. You were the best slave she had, the only one that could please her. Its too bad, Jimmy, that you wouldn’t take my offer. We could have been so good together. Why didn’t you take it when I offered you? First on Rogue World, and then here a few days ago. Are you really that loyal, or are you just stubborn?"

Jim felt Blair’s hand squeeze tighter on his shoulder and knew that Blair was upset by what he was hearing.

"Where are we going?" Blair asked.

"Out into the desert. I could just shoot you both, but I want Jimmy to suffer for turning me down."

The rest of the ride was done in silence. Blair gripped Jim’s leash tightly, trying to control his emotions. The anger at Lila and the regional governor for attempting to kill them, anger at Jim for keeping the fact that he had talked to Lila from him. Anger at himself for not accepting the Empress’ offer of guards.

Eventually, the flyer stopped and Lila motioned with her blaster for the two of them to exit. They did so carefully. She ordered them to back away from the flyer as she exited the vehicle. Blair looked at the twin suns. Sunset was only an hour or so away.

"This accursed planet will do my work for me." Lila said. The driver exited the vehicle too. "Hand the leash over to Andrew, Blair. And don’t either of you try anything."

Blair did as he was told, and the driver, Andrew, took the leash and dragged Jim away from Blair, then pushed the sentinel to his knees in the sand.

"Good." Then Lila walked over to Blair, and with a quick kick against Blair’s leg, she snapped the bone in half. Blair screamed in pain, and Jim fought Andrew to get to Blair’s side. A knock to the sentinel’s head stunned Jim momentarily. Enough that Lila’s orders for him to calm down or she would kill Blair then and there calmed Jim, though inside he raged.

Blair lay in the sand groaning and crying. The pain from his leg was more than Blair had ever felt, and it was agonizing. Lila smiled at Blair, then turned to look at Jim. She nodded at Andrew.

The driver quickly and efficiently stripped Jim of his clothes until the sentinel stood naked in the sand, the hot suns beating down upon his body. Then Andrew led Jim over to his guide tied the end of the leash to Blair’s broken leg. Blair screamed when the man tightened the leash tight, but the makeshift tourniquet slowed the bleeding from the compound fracture.

"Goodbye, Jim. It could have been something." And with that both Lila and Andrew stepped into the flyer and flew away.

Jim ignored the flyer, turning his attention to his wounded guide. His sentinel touch found that the one break was all that there was. He looked around for something to use as a splint, but found nothing. They had even taken Jim’s clothes with them.

Jim quickly removed Sandburg’s belt, and had the young guide bite down on it as Jim pulled on Blair’s leg and reset the bone. Blair screamed behind the leather, tears flowing down his face.

Jim’s instincts were having a hard time. He was hurting his guide trying to help him and that went against his instincts. But common sense won out over instinct, and Jim managed to set Blair’s leg. Wishing he had something better to use as a splint, Jim splinted Blair’s leg to his other leg using the belt.

"Chief?" Jim said softly, "Blair? I need you to remove my leash. Chief?"

Blair opened his eyes and looked at Jim. Understanding, Blair reached out and unsnapped the leash from Jim’s collar. Jim then unwrapped the leash from around Blair’s leg, then tore a strip of Blair’s sleeve to use as a pressure bandage on the wound.

The makeshift pressure bandage was enough to stop the bleeding, the wound having missed any major arteries. When he was done, Jim kneeled down beside his guide, and removed the pouch he always carried when in uniform. Inside he pulled out a bottle of Docile and a syringe. He measure out only one cc of the drug and administered it to his guide. The little amount on a non-sentinel would act as a painkiller, but would not put the young guide to sleep.

A few minutes later, Blair began to stir, and opened his eyes. He looked at Jim. "Jim? Are you alright?" Blair asked.

"I’m fine, Chief. Its you I am worried about."

"How long?" Blair asked.

Jim frowned, "How long, what?"

"Till sundown?"

Jim cursed mentally, and looked at the two suns. "A little less than an hour, Chief." Jim knew what would happen after sundown.

"Damn, we need shelter." Blair said a little more coherent now that the Docile had taken affect.

Jim looked around. All he could see for mile were sand dunes and more sand dunes. He couldn’t even see Cheyenne or any dwellings. All Jim saw was a lizard like creature crawling up a sand dune.

Blair’s eyes were on that lizard. Watching the creature as it made its climb up the partly rocky sand dune.

"Jim. Jim we need to follow that lizard."

Jim looked at his guide wondering if he was delirious. "Chief, you can’t be that hungry." He joked trying to be funny but falling short because of the situation.

"No. Jim, the <i>kenitha</i> will lead us to shelter. We have to follow it."

Jim felt of Blair’s forehead, and found no fever. But Blair knew this world, had grown up on it. Perhaps he was right.

As carefully as he could, Jim picked up his guide in his arms, cradling Sandburg as if he were a babe. He then turned and followed the little lizard who ignored them.

Jim carefully climbed the large sand dune, careful not to drop his burden. Finally, they reached the top and Jim looked down on the other side.

Several strange, and very large flowers grew on the other side of the dune. Several of the little lizards were heading toward the large flowers. Other animals curled up on the center of the flowers.

"Yes." Blair said excitedly. "Jim, we need to get on one of those flowers. Find one big enough for both of us. Hurry, the suns are about to set."

Jim scrambled down the rocky, sandy incline to the bottom of the dune. Sometimes sliding on his bare butt, ignoring the scraping of rocks against his bare feet and skin. When he made it to the bottom, Jim found a large enough flower for them both. He laid Blair in the middle of the flower, then curled up beside him. His skin felt burned and raw. Even the short time in the suns had caused his pale skin to burn a bit, especially in places which were normally covered. No doubt that was in part thanks to the sand which reflected the suns’ rays and intensified them.

Jim watched as the two suns settled down below the horizon making a fantastic sunset picture. He wondered how long it would take for them to freeze to death. His dream flashed back to him, and he shivered.

Then strangely the large petals of the flower folded upwards until each pointed end met at the top completely encasing them inside. A wave of claustrophobia moved though Jim, but Blair placed a hand on Jim’s arm. "No, its alright. It will protect us. The plant’s petals are airtight, and the flower makes its own heat, and like all plants it produces oxygen. We’re safe here." Blair explained.

Jim nodded, trusting his guide.

"Go to sleep, Jim." Blair said his hand moving in a stroking manner down Jim’s arm as the guide’s eyes closed. Jim laid his head back down, and closed his eyes. He fell asleep to the comforting sound of his guide’s heartbeat, glad to know that it would continue to beat.

Some hours later Jim was awakened by the familiar heartbeat increasing in rate. The sentinel opened his eyes and looked over at his guide. Blair’s eyes were opened, and tears marked his face. Jim could see that Blair was in pain.

"Easy, Blair. You need to breath slowly, or you are going to hyperventilate." Jim said.

"Oh man, it hurts. Oh gods it hurts." Blair hissed through clenched teeth.

Jim dug into Blair’s bag, and pulled out another syringe and some Docile. He injected Blair with another cc of the drug, and watched as it took affect acting as a painkiller.

"Thanks." Blair said.

"Don’t mention it. To anyone." Jim said. Legally Jim wasn’t supposed to touch that pouch much less the contents within, but Jim couldn’t stand by while his guide was in pain. As an ex-medic Jim knew that small amounts of Docile would act as a painkiller for regular humans. Very small amounts.

Blair smiled, then frowned suddenly. Jim saw the light in Blair’s eyes. <I>oh no,</I>. Jim knew that look. Blair was remembering the fact that Jim hadn’t told him about meeting Lila.

"Who is she?" Blair asked.

Jim sighed then answered, "Lila Hopson. She’s an assassin for hire. When I first met her she was working for Deiniera. Like I told you before I was working undercover trying to bring down Deiniera’s operation. She was slick, and a very dangerous operator, but she ha a weakness. Her weakness was men. I was her sex slave. I learned everything I could from just being next to her nearly all the time. She would conduct business over vid phone while…" Jim blushed at what he had been about to say. "Anyway, Lila worked for Deiniera, killing people for her to strengthen Deiniera’s position. Deiniera gave me to Lila once as a gift. One night, and Lila fell into an obsession. Somehow, she found out I was a Ranger. Offerred me the chance to betray my oath and run away with her. I think I loved her a bit. I was never really sure. She lied. Deiniera didn’t torture me because she was jealous. I was there. Lila announced to everyone that I was a Ranger, then ran from the room in tears. Lila’s deluded."

Blair said nothing for a time. Instead he looked at Jim, just looked, and the sentinel felt uncomfortable beneath his guide’s gaze. Then Blair said, "She said she offered again."

Jim lowered his eyes unable to look his guide in the face, "I ran into her a few days ago. She asked that I meet her at one of the inns. We met in one of the rooms. She offered to take me away from here, far away. She said she would find someway to remove my collar, and we could be together. She even offered to kidnap you in case I had trouble with my senses. I rejected her, and left the inn. I told Simon that I had seen her when I met him on the streets. He said he would keep an eye out. She’s still a wanted criminal."

"Why didn’t you tell me about her."

Jim shrugged, "I was embarrassed, Chief. I didn’t want you to know about her. About what happened. Plus I was angry and hurt.

"But you told Simon."

"Simon already knew the whole story, Chief."

Blair sighed angrily. "You are going to have to learn to trust me, Jim. I know its hard. I know this, " he touched Jim’s collar, "doesn’t help. But you have to learn to trust me."

Jim said nothing.

"If you had told me about Lila, maybe I could have told the IP’s, and perhaps they would have caught her."

"And then maybe we wouldn’t be in this mess."

"Maybe. Or he could have hired someone else. But that’s not the point. The point is you should have told me. I am your guide. What you did was totally against the rules, but if you would have told me immediately after you could have gotten off with a stern lecture. Hell I could have swept that under the rug. But this. Its gotten way to big. Too big for me to ignore."

Jim nodded. He knew Blair was right, and he felt guilty for having perhaps in some way caused their predicament.

Blair yawned, "Oh man, I think that stuff is putting me to sleep." He said tiredly. "How much did you give me?"

"Only one cc, Chief. Anymore would have knocked you into a coma."

Blair nodded, "This isn’t over, Jim. I’ll deal with it when we are safe." He looked at Jim significantly, "And after you’ve healed enough from your sunburn."

Jim knew what that meant. He nodded, his eyes still lowered. Blair closed his eyes, and his breathing began to even out. Jim watched his guide’s face for a few moments before he curled up beside Blair. Laying his head on Blair’s chest, ear pressed against Blair’s breast where his heart beat beneath, Jim closed his eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

Jim was awoken a second time by the sound of shuttle’s engines. The flower’s petals above them began to quiver as they spread apart and laid back down uncovering them from its shelter. The suns were up. It was still a bit cold, but Jim could tell it was getting warmer by the second. He looked up and saw an Earth military shuttle preparing to land. Jim smiled. They had no doubt used the tracking device embedded in Jim’s collar to find them. They were no doubt expecting to find them dead.

Jim checked his guide with his senses. Blair was still asleep, and seemed to be alright. The shuttle landed, and the doors opened. Simon and his team exited the shuttle and made their way over to the sentinel and guide.

"Its good to see you guys alive. We thought for sure you’d freeze to death." Simon said.

"Thanks to Blair and these plants, we’re alright." Jim said.

Rafe handed Jim a pair of overalls, and the sentinel dressed. Brown and Rafe then gently picked up Blair and laid him on a stretcher they had brought. They cared him swiftly but carefully back to the shuttle. Jim followed walking beside Simon.

"We arrested Lila. She made the mistake of coming back for some items she had left. She still had your clothes with her. Both her and her sidekick are in lock-up, and a military transport is on its way to pick them up. She told us what she had done, and laughed about it. It got to late, and we couldn’t send out a search party. Everyone figured you’d be dead anyway. She was going to be charged with murder and sentinel homicide, but I guess it will be assault now. She’ll get the same sentence, though."

Jim was glad that Lila had been caught. "Did she finger her employer?"

"No. She didn’t. refused to talk. No problems there though. Because of the severity of her crime the Empress gave orders to have her mind probed by a telepath.

Jim winced at that. A telepath caused irrepairable damage to the brain after a forced probe. Lila won’t have much of a mind left when they space her.

No more than she deserves, Jim thought.

Inside the shuttle, Blair was placed on the medibunk, and a healing lamp placed over the injury to his leg caused by the compound fracture. The healing lamp increased the speed at which the body repaired itself, and also prevented infection. Jim laid down on the floor next to the bunk ignoring the looks he received from Simon and the others.

They seated themselves in their chairs, and Simon piloted the shuttle toward Cheyenne.

The hospital was expecting them. A sentinel/guide bed was ready and waiting for them. Blair’s leg was healed, the bone mended. Jim’s sunburn was healed, and the bump on his head was tended to. Vids were taken of his injuries for court, as well as pictures of Blair’s injury. Jim received another full physical for the trial that was sure to come. He was then placed on a sentinel/guide bed, and because he was fine, and Blair was still unconscious, Jim was leashed to the bed. Jim kept his senses on his guide monitoring Blair’s progress, and was satisfied by what he detected.

Eventually, Blair awoke from his Docile induced nap. The doctor was waiting for him.

She smiled at Blair, "How are you feeling Guide Sandburg?" She asked.

"Better. No more pain." Blair said.

"I need to ask. How did Docile come to be in your system?"

"I uh injected myself. I had read that in small amounts Docile could act as a painkiller for regular humans."

"Its not a well know fact, Guide Sandburg. In fact Docile can be addictive to non-sentinels. Luckily, there wasn’t enough in your system to cause a dependence. And what was there has been cycled out."

"Uh I didn’t know that. I’m glad I didn’t use a lot."

"As am I. I am sure you are ready to go home. I see no reason not to release you and your sentinel today. The minor burns on your sentinel were treated. There was a small bump on his head caused by blunt force trauma, but that was easily taken care of. No sign of a concussion."

Blair looked over at Jim who was laying on his part of the bed on his stomach his eyes and other senses watching Blair intently. "That’s good. Do you know anything about the people who did this to us?"

"I was told they were caught. " The doctor said.

"Now that’s real good news."

The doctor smiled. "I need to go and check on other patients. You are free to go home."

"Thank you."

The doctor nodded then left. Blair climbed off the bed and onto his feet. He found his clothes in the drawer on the nightstand beside the bed. He quickly dressed. When he was done, he unhooked Jim’s leash from the bed and attached it to his guide band. Jim stood up, still nude, and waited.

Blair looked at Jim, seriously considering taking Jim out of the hospital in his current condition. He was truly upset with Jim and felt that he would need to calm down before inflicting punishment on the sentinel. Physical punishment at least. He sighed thinking that if he did take Jim out of the hospital nude, he’d have to get some sunblock to protect the sentinel’s skin. Shaking his head, Blair searched through the drawers and found only a light blue robe. He placed on Jim, belting it as the waist, then walked out of the room. Jim followed at his heels. He stopped the doctor in the hallway and asked for some sunblock. The doctor smiled and retrieved some. Blair covered Jim’s exposed skin with the sunblock, then walked out of the hospital after paying for their treatment. He called a cab before exiting the hospital so the hovercar was waiting for them. They both stepped into the vehicle with Jim sitting on the floorboard. The driver took them to the Sandburg home where Naomi awaited them.

His mother hugged him tightly, crying into his chest. Blair hugged her back tightly whispering that he was alright.

"My poor Blair. I was so scared. They thought for sure you would be dead when they found you."

"Thanks to some kenitha flowers we’re just fine."

Naomi smiled at him, "You genius you. Sheltering in kenitha flowers. I have always wanted to try that."

"Well, I wouldn’t recommend it. Except in emergency situations." Blair smiled back with laughter in his eyes.

"Come on. Let’s go inside. I bet you are starving. I’ve made dinner."

"Sounds good." Blair followed his mother inside with his arm still around her waist and her arms around him protectively. Jim followed at Blair’s heels.

Inside, Blair ordered Jim in a firm tone to lay down on his pallet and informed the sentinel that he was on bed restriction for four days. Jim didn’t bother to even nod. Instead he laid down after Blair removed his robe. The guide placed the blanket over Jim, then stood up and followed his mother into the kitchen.

Naomi said nothing, but she was worried about Blair’s tone. It hadn’t sounded like him at all. Blair fixed a plate of the roast and potatoes, with green beans and cornbread and took it to the sentinel along with a glass of water. However, instead of letting Jim sit up and eat, Blair seated himself crosslegged and fed Jim himself. Another type of punishment, making Jim feel as if he were a child instead of a fully grown sentinel. Sentinels were fed by Observors until they were thirteen.

When the plate was clear, and the glass of water empty, only then did Blair fix his own plate and eat. Jim just laid back down on his pallet.

Naomi had watched it all in silence.

Blair looked at his mother, "I know you don’t approve, Mother."

"I have no say in it, Blair. I know that. I just don’t understand how you can treat him like a slave."

"Mother, he is not a slave. He is a sentinel. I didn’t make the laws, I didn’t cause the Empire into being. I can only live in this world to the best of my ability and I do give myself room for compassion and my own values, but sometimes there is no room. I do what I have to do, just as he does. I read somewhere that if we do what we want then we must accept the consequences, good or bad. It’s part of being an adult. He did what he wanted. He had his reasons for doing so, but now he must accept the consequences. I gave him too much free rein, now I must also accept the consequences."

"Sometimes Blair I forget you are an adult, then suddenly you say things or do things that remind me that you are. I think I understand, even if I don’t approve."

Blair smiled and kissed his mother on her cheek. "Thank you, mother, for your teachings in my life. For being there, and for loving me."

Tears filled her eyes, "Oh Blair, you are welcome, but no thanks are needed. I did it out of love, not for thanks."

"I know, but a thank you doesn’t hurt, and is made more special when it is unexpected."

"I am proud of you Blair."

Blair smiled. "Thanks mom. I need you to do something for me."

"What’s that Blair?" She asked.

"Take the kids outside for some fresh air for awhile. I have something I have to do, and I’m pretty sure you don’t want them to see."

"Are you sure you need to do this?" Naomi asked.

"Its part of it, Mother. Part of everything, and yes, I know I must."

Naomi looked at Blair, then decided. "If its something you must do, then I need for them to understand."

Blair thought about it for a few minutes, then asked. "Are you sure they are old enough."

"Yes. They might not understand everything, but I think they are old enough. I told you about my parents."

Blair nodded.

"They risked a lot for what they believed was right."

"They risked more than themselves mother."

"What do you mean."

"Its not well known, but you remember what happened after HATE was broken up."

"The Surrender." Naomi said.

"Yes. The Emperor thought for a long time to make it permanent."

Naomi gasped at that. She had been a child, but she remembered the day the Emperor ordered that all humans Surrender themselves to the Eliums to live as slaves for a period of five years. It had been the first time in the history of the Empire that a race having gained its freedom from slavery would return to it en masse. It frightened Naomi to think that it might have been a permanent deal.

"What changed his mind?"

"His daughter and a man he trusted." Blair didn’t mention that that man had been William Ellison.

"My god, they did risk more than themselves." Naomi was shocked.

"Sometimes what we do effects others, and more so within the Empire. You know that mother."

Naomi nodded.

Blair sighed then said, "Alright Mom, if you think they need to be there, then it won’t hurt."

Naomi nodded and called the children in from the barn where they had been feeding the animals. While she did that Blair went into his room.

Naomi explained had the children sit on the couch which they did. Blair came out of his room holding the wooden paddle. Naomi sat down on the couch and held her children to her. They looked at Blair not understanding.

"What’s going on, Mom?"

"Sean do you remember when you and your brother lied to me about where you had been?" Naomi asked.

Sean nodded.

"What happened?"

"You grounded us." Sean answered.

"Why did I ground you."

"Because we lied and made you worry about us."

"Well, Jim lied to Blair, and made Blair worry. Do you understand?" Naomi asked.

They nodded. Nothing more was said.

Jim had listened to everything Blair and Naomi had said in the kitchen. He never knew that Blair grandparent’s had had anything to do with the HATE group, but it made a lot of sense. He didn’t think Blair would tell Naomi about what the Emperor had been considering, but he understand why he had.

Not liking the idea of an audience, Jim never the less crawled over Blair’s lap when his guide seated himself on the floor. He had know what had been coming, and had expected it from the moment Lila had mentioned their talk in the cab. Blair had no choice, just as Jim had no choice. He waited, trying not to flinch when Blair laid a hand on his back.

Blair laid on hand on Jim’s back. The sentinel was nude, so there was no need to pull down the sentinel’s boxers. Instead he gripped the paddle in one hand, and took a deep steadying breath, then began.

The first strike caused Jim to jump. The ex-Ranger wanted so badly to just get away, but forced himself to remain where he was and to take his punishment. He deserved it for risking their lives. The next blow came and Jim heard the kids jump at the sound. He ignored them.

The blows continued until Jim’s butt felt like it was on fire. Blair stopped only when Jim began to whimper and cry. He laid the paddle down and ran a soothing hand over Jim’s back and spoke in a low tone only a sentinel could hope to hear. He could hear his siblings crying, but saw that Naomi was comforting them. Naomi had felt it was something they need to learn, and Blair had agreed. Naomi took Blair siblings to her room and laid them in her bed and held them while they cried.

Blair held Jim much in the same manner letting the sentinel cry out his pain, and humiliation as well as releasing his guilt. Eventually, Jim fell asleep and Blair laid him back on the pallet and after administering to Jim’s sore butt with soothing lotion, he covered the sentinel and went to his own room to cry.

Two days later, Blair led Jim up the ramp of the shuttle by the leash. He had said his goodbyes to his family, and to Alisha Black Wolf. On the shuttle, Blair had Jim lay on his bunk, and Blair unleashed him, then took the controls of the ship and departed from his home planet.

He had informed the Empress of what had happened the day after Jim’s punishment. On that same say he learned that the psychic probe on Lila revealed that the Regional Governor had indeed hire her to kill Blair and Jim. The man had been arrested and was being charged with Conspiracy to commit murder, and sentinel murder. He would also face the death penalty.

There would be no need for a trial, however, since the man took his own life not more than four hours ago. Blair wasn’t sure if that was a blessing or not.

Looking back at his sentinel, Blair felt that it might be one after all.

The ship traveled through jumpspace and headed for their home.

 

END