Getting Lucky
by ShayAlyce
debra_vs@yahoo.com



The music boomed across the nightclub, bouncing off the acoustic walls and reverberating along Blair's nerve endings. He put his hand over Jim's, which rested on their small table, and his mouth to Jim's ear, to ask in a soft voice, "Are you okay? This music's pretty overpowering."

Jim's gaze turned from the stage for a moment and he nodded, a small smile hovering on his lips. "I've got it turned down, Chief. I'm fine. Don't worry."

A sudden spike in the female screams and cheers drew their attention back to the stage, where a very buff, almost-naked man was slowly pealing his Speedo from a nice-sized 'package'. The g-string he wore beneath the swimsuit barely covered his assets. The women in the audience were going crazy, waving money and tucking it in the man's skimpy costume triumphantly. One woman put her cash offering between her teeth and slinked on-stage on her hands and knees, stalking her prey with a gleam in her eyes. The dancer smiled knowingly and joined her on the floor, using
the woman's moves for an impromptu dance of cat and mouse, with him as the mouse. Eventually, he allowed her close enough to take the money from her mouth with his teeth. The noise in the club hit a crescendo. The woman, eyes merrily triumphant and more than a bit lustful, slinked back to her table beside the stage as the dancer moved away. He finished his set shortly thereafter. Being a professional, he knew when to leave 'em
wanting more.

During this entire performance, Blair's attention had been divided between the dancer and the audience. Jim smiled indulgently at his partner -- the
day Blair Sandburg stopped viewing every situation from an anthropologist's point of view was the day Jim would worry about his friend's sanity. He turned his attention to the audience, as well, wondering what had the young man so intrigued.

It didn't take long for him to figure it out. The audience response to the performers was eye-opening. The noise and enthusiasm in the club was coming almost entirely from the women. The groups of gay men in the audience stared intently, their eyes never leaving the man's gyrating body, but no sound was uttered, no money was flashed or offered. Once Jim noticed this phenomenon, his interest, too, was divided. He watched Blair watching the audience, but Jim never completely let his attention wander from the dancers and the rest of the crowd, either. After all, he didn't often indulge in this type of entertainment, so he didn't plan on missing a moment of it.

Blair, however, was almost as entertaining as the dancers and club patrons. Jim could almost *see* the wheels turning in the anthropologist's head, the possibilities for a study in 'The Dynamics of Male versus Female Sexual Feedback' or some other prosaic title almost tatooed across his forehead. Blair's eyes gleamed with an almost manic light. It was the same look he got when he thought he was going to get lucky. It was the look
that almost always insured that Jim would make *sure* Blair got lucky.

Jim turned his hand over and grabbed Blair's, giving it a squeeze to get his attention.

Blair turned questioningly, then saw the look on Jim's face and grinned broadly, intertwining his fingers with Jim's. "I know, hon. I can't help it. Look at these men! What? They think the dancer can read their minds? A performer needs audience participation, man; it's part of the act. All the gays are doing is drooling... not a peep out of them. For crying out loud, they're barely even clapping!" this, as the current dancer finished and took his 'bows'.

Jim followed Blair's lead, who was following the example of the women in the club, and clapped and cheered. As soon as Blair finished, however, he took his partner's hand and intertwined their fingers again.

When the announcer arrived to introduce the final dancer of the evening, Blair turned back to his roommate. With a combination of frustration and puzzlement, he continued, "I don't understand it, Jim.... Why don't the men clap or stuff money in these guys' g-strings? I mean, look at them!" he indicated a table full of men nearby whose eyes were glued to the new dancer. "They're obviously enjoying the performances. Why don't they show it? Do they think the guy can see past the spotlights and see their expressons or something? Do they think the guy can catch their psychic vibes? I mean, why are they so quiet, so impassive, so... so...?"

"...busy jacking off, Chief?" Jim finished with a big smile.

"What!"

Jim just nodded at a lone man nearby. For the first time, Blair realized that the table's covering was up over the man's lap, his hands hidden beneath its folds. His eyes flew to the customer's face, noting the telltale signs of pending orgasm despite the guy's attempts to keep his expression neutral.

Quickly, Blair grabbed his napkin and covered his mouth, muffling uproarious laughter as best he could, his eyes tearing with the effort. It took all of Jim's self-control not to follow suite.

When their neighbor finally, obviously, finished, Blair was able to get himself under control. "Jim, man," he gasped, "there are days when I'm ashamed to be a man. These guys are pathetic!"

Jim's smile was wide, but his eyes were soft. "Chief, I think you should feel sorry for them."

Not expecting that particular reaction from his partner, Blair puzzled over it for a moment, then asked, "Why?"

Jim caressed Blair's beloved face with his free hand. "They don't have you to go home to.... No wonder they're desperate."

Blair's mouth opened in surprise, then closed, then opened, but it was obvious he didn't quite know how to respond.

With a knowing, triumphant grin, Jim kissed their intertwined hands. His next words were soft. "Speaking of which... let's go home, Blair. We have some dancing of our own to do tonight."

The anthropologist disappeared before Jim's very eyes, and the lover surfaced. "Hon, how did I get so lucky?" he asked. He stood and dropped money on the table to cover their drinks and the tip. "Let's go. These guys are just a fantasy; I prefer my reality any day," and he dropped a quick kiss on Jim's lips before pulling him to his feet.

The partners never noticed the envious glances from the men surrounding them, nor the knowing grins from the women. As they made their quick way through the crowd, their world consisted of only two people... as it was meant to be.


END