Title: Forever Sentinel

Author: Margaret Newman

Warnings: no sex, just a hint of m/m between James and Blair.

PG rating (though it's really more like G)

Disclaimer: not making any money, don't own any of them, don't even own my own car.

Archive: only if you want to

Summary: A Forever Knight twist to The Sentinel. Vampire Jim, mortal Blair. I cast Simon as the Lacroix character, and Carolyn as Janette.

Other warning or note: this is really short.



FOREVER SENTINEL
By Margaret Newman


He stood for a moment at the mouth of the alley watching his prey. Sadness settled around him like a heavy cloak. Depression was an incestuous brother to his sadness. Another innocent to pay the price of his stupidity. The young man had done nothing but help him. He had not turned away in revulsion or horror. He had talked to James evenly, sensibly. Professing to be able to help him, perhaps even finding a cure for his 'ailment'.

Yet the others knew of him now, and his master had given him a choice. Take care of the young man himself or Simon would do it for him. Carolyn had clucked her tongue at him in disgust. She saw no use for the mortals except as food or toys. You didn't fall in love with them, and you certainly didn't make any effort to protect them.

What had he seen in her to begin with? All those years ago... centuries now. Seven centuries of pain, despair, hopelessness... Yes, there had been a few years of happiness mixed in there, but they were few are far between. The darkness overshadowed the light. As Simon would say, there is no light without shadow. Shadow dominates, light is weak.

"We prey on the weak, James. On our less fortunate brothers." That deep, clear voice so well spoken in any language. "I have set you above them. I have made you a prince of the night. Do not make me regret it."

James was sure he had made Simon regret bringing him across ages ago. He knew that Carolyn had tired of him some three hundred years past. There was nothing left for him now except surviving. Even true death was denied him.

Blair Sandburg jumped lightly up to the curb, having crossed the street from the drugstore he always went to. He liked the place, and he liked the owner, Mr. Liu. They always had a lively discussion whenever he went in. Tonight was no exception.

He whistled a little as he walked along the sidewalk, heading for his loft apartment. He had no specific plans for tonight, no dates, no classes to teach. He had several books he wanted to go over, working on a pet project of his. His advisor would shit bricks if he knew that his star anthropology student had suddenly taken an interest in vampirism.

A little tingle skittered down his spine and he turned to look behind him when he heard his name whispered.

"Blair." James said his name as he stepped from the alley. Blair had just walked by there and hadn't seen him.

"Jim! Wow! I was just thinking about you." Blair smiled up at the taller man. "You look great. Is that like required for being a vampire?"

"What?" Disconcerted, James looked down at himself.

"The long dark coat. It looks great on you, but it's very... you know, vampire-sexy." Blair grinned brightly.

"Vampire sexy?" James shook his head, half smiling. He had this slight desire to introduce Blair to Simon and watch the older vampire keep his thoughts straight around this rapid-fire mouth. The desire was only slight as he was quite certain what Simon would do to shut Blair up. "No, it's not required."

"Do you get like a subscription to Immortal Monthly for all the latest fashion styles? What the best dressed vamp in wearing in Paris this year." Blair laughed, and turned to continue his walk home, assuming that Jim would follow.

"Blair." James said his name again and the young man stopped, turning to look back. All hint of humor was gone from James' face. Not that there had been much displayed, but Blair caught the instant change of mood. He sobered up quickly.

"What is it, Jim?" Blair shifted the bag in his arms as he took a few steps back to his new friend.

"We have to talk." James spoke softly. He concentrated, reaching out with his mind to Blair's. If he could make Blair forget, then all would be well and safe. As Blair stepped closer, his eyes going wide, staring up at James in rapt attention, he spoke again, "Listen to me carefully."

"Sure." Blair nodded. James reached out and cupped Blair's face with one hand.

"Listen to me." The words echoed in Blair's ears and in his mind. It was as if he could hear James all the way to the core of his soul. "You must forget me. You must forget that you know me."

"No..." Blair tried to pull back but it was useless. James had total control of him.

"This is for your safety. I will not see you hurt because of me. You will forget my name. You will forget my face..."

Blair stood there on the sidewalk, blinking. Wow, man, he had really zoned. What had he been thinking about? He glanced around, seeing no one near. There was some tall, good looking guy walking across the street, his black long coat flapping around his calves. He sorta looked familiar but Blair couldn't place him. Probably saw him at the bookstore or something.

Oh, well! He turned and headed on home. He had papers to grade, leftover Chinese food to heat up. Wasn't this Shark Week on the Discovery Channel? He loved shark documentaries... they were as good as any horror movie for him. Maybe he'd call Sally later and see if she would like to go out on Friday. He needed to call his mom and check up on her, too. He wondered if she was still seeing that young cop in Seattle. What was his name? Ryf? Rafe?



The end...