TITLE: Finding Control

AUTHOR: Stormwolf dawn

RATING: PG-13 for violence and language

SERIES/SEQUEL: Imperial Sentinel series

WARNINGS: This story is GEN, and it places the characters of the Sentinel in a different light.

SUMMARY: In a universe under alien Imperial rule, where Sentinels are considered pets, and Guides are honored for their positions, a young Guide must teach his newly bonded Sentinel control of his gifts.

NOTES: () indicates thoughts

 

IMPERIAL SENTINEL 1: FINDING CONTROL

By Stormwolf Dawn

Planet Orion 4
Rainier Guide University
September 7th 2342

Guide student Blair Sandburg woke slowly to the light of a new day. Squinting in the light, he groaned rolling over and trying to throw the covers over his head to block the streams of sunlight pouring through the window of his dorm room. His roommate and friend, Blake Anderson, grabbed the covers and threw them off of the young student. Grinning at his long haired friend, Blake called, "Rise and shine, Blair!"

"Man, there has to be some kind of rule that you can't be that cheerful in the morning." Blair said as he opened his eyes and glared at his five foot ten roommate. Blake only smiled even more broadly at him.

"Come on Blair, your Spirit Guide class is in less than two hours. I have to be at my Med class in half an hour. Are you going to get up on your own?" Blake asked as he packed his books in his backpack.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll get up. Go before your late. Observor Davinger isn't too keen on tardiness." Blair answered remembering his own experiences in Basic Medicine and First Aid for Sentinels. He had also had Observor Davinger as his teacher and had once seen the man embarrass a tardy student so bad the poor kid had run out the door. Yawning, Blair climbed out of his bed and went to the bathroom to take his morning shower. Luckily, Orion 4 was a type Earth planet, and there was no water rationing. Blair had grown up on Tao 7, a near desert world, and appreciated the lack of water rationing. He also appreciated hot showers.

Blair toweled himself dry, and dressed quickly in his grey jumpsuit, the uniform of guides-in-training. While chewing on a granola bar, Blair packed up his books, and notebooks that he would need for the day's round of classes. His first class was Spirit Guides 101. This class was different from others. You continued to take it until all the mediation lead to you finding your Spirit Guide. So far Blair had yet to find his, but he was determined. He had five more classes after that, two before lunch and the rest after lunch.

Blair finished off his granola bar, and walked out of his dorm room, then out of the dorm building. Outside he walked through the grounds of the University, taking in the feel of the serene surroundings. The grass beneath his feet was a deep lush green, and the flowering trees had beautiful purple and gold blossoms. Even though by Earth calendar it was fall, the only land mass on Orion 4 was in spring equinox. Blair glanced over as he always did every day to the large grey stone buildings surrounded by a high walled fence. Inside the fence, the grounds were as nice as the grounds to the University. Even from this distance, Blair could see some children playing on the playgrounds with its swings, and jungle jim under the watchful eye of Observors. Blair smiled. It always made him happy to see Sentinel children playing at the Sentinel Compound as the area was called. (One day,)Blair thought. Blair was now in his third year at the Guide University. It usually took up to four years before the Observors would take a student to the compound to look over the unbonded adult Sentinels that were housed there. Only Observors were allowed anywhere near an unbonded Sentinel. Observors had been Guides once upon a time, but had lost their Sentinel for some reason or another. Unlike Sentinels, Guides did not automatically shut down and die after the loss of the other. And an Observor could only bond once in his or her lifetime, so there was no danger of that happening. Blair knew that somewhere in that compound was the Sentinel that was destined to be his Sentinel. It would not be long, he hoped, before it would be his turn to go into that compound. First, however, he had to get to class.

USS Amadeus
Taurus Sector
September 8th 2342

Captain Jim Ellison of Star Rangers walked through the corridors of the warship, Amadeus, heading for his barracks. He had spent the morning in the gym, working with the free weights, and running some laps to ease the tension he had felt sense returning from his last mission. The mission had been a bust. His ship had crashlanded on a barren moon, killing the pilot, and injuring Captain Ellison. The ship's environmental systems had not been damaged, but the engines, and flight control had been. Isolated and injured, Jim had waited for rescue that came six standard days later. During that time, Jim had started having problems with his senses, and on the fifth day had realized with growing horror that he was developing Sentinel abilities. Ellison had raged at himself for awhile, knowing he had no control over that. It was genetic, so he had been told when he had taken the small course with his other medic courses on how to treat Sentinels. Jim then raged at those damn Observors. They always thought that they held tightly the breeding lines of the Sentinels, but every now and then a "wild" Sentinel such as, he admitted, himself were born among the ranks of the Citizens. If they had true control over those damn lines, then Ellison would have been born on Orion 4 at the Sentinel Compound, not on Centaurri 3, where he had grown up with his father and mother. Then he wouldn't be worrying about when the Observors on board the Amadeus were going to find him out.

He was finding it difficult to keep his newly acquired abilities secret. His senses flared up at the worst times, and he had nearly zoned several times. Determined not to let his senses get the better of him, Jim fought for control, and usually lost. One day, he knew, he would lose in front of someone, and the Observors would then come for him. He knew that the Observors could teach him control until he bonded with a Guide, but sheer stubborness and good old fashioned fear kept him from turning himself in. He knew that as soon as he did, he would no longer be a Citizen or a Star Ranger. The life he knew would be over. He would be a Sentinel, belonging first to the Sentinel Compound as an unbonded Sentinel, and then to his Guide once he bonded. Jim hated the idea of being considered someone's property. Before the accident, he had met a few Guides and their Sentinels. Everyone had offered the Guides respect treating them like any other Citizen. The Sentinels had been ignored like one ignores a man's dog. Sometimes complimented over, sometimes commanded, but never conversed with except by his Guide. Sentinels were Property, because unbonded Sentinels were dangerous to themselves and others. To protect normal Citizens, Sentinels had been isolated from society, and quickly bonded to Guides. The Guides went through extensive training on how to care for and control their Sentinels. Now the Sentinel Compound had its own breeding program, and the Rainier Guide University taught people how to be Guides. As much as Jim wanted control of his senses, he wanted to keep control over his own life.

Deep in thought, Jim was surprised when as he walked into the barracks he was grabbed on all three sides. Ellison struggled with his attackers, realizing that it was his own comrades, Lts. Rafe, Brown, and Conner, that were trying to subdue him. He looked around as he struggled and noticed Colonel Banks standing a few meters away with two Observors dressed in white jumpsuits standing beside him. (They know,) Jim thought afraid as he continued to struggle. Though he was bigger than the other three Rangers, their combined weight and skill brought him to the deck and held him there lying on his stomach. Jim continued to struggle usesly. One of them would hiss at him to calm down, and Jim would become angry.(Already commanding the dog), Jim thought. One of the Observors came forward, and Jim's sight kicked in enough for him to see the syringe in the Observors hand. Jim knew what was in that syringe. Docile, a sedative that had been specifically developed for Sentinels. Normal sedatives didn't work well on Sentinels, neither did pain killers. But Docile worked, Jim had even used it once himself on an injured Sentinel during a pirate attack. Docile would knock a Sentinel out for eight hours with no side effects.

The Observor bent down on one knee beside the struggling Sentinel. He whispered in a soothing tone, his voice pitched for a Sentinel's hearing, "Sssshhhh, its alright, Ellison. Calm down. No one here is going to hurt you."

Jim hated the man's tone. He had even made Jim's name sound like a dog's name. Jim increased his efforts to free himself to no avail. Rafe held his arms pinned behind his back, with Conner helping, both of them using their weight to keep him down. Brown used his weight to control Jim's legs. These people had been his friends and comrades, now he felt betrayed by them. He understood, though. He was a Sentinel, not a Citizen. He was dangerous to them.

The Observor placed a hand on Jim's head, moving it lightly in a stroking manner. Jim felt the sharp prick of a needle in his neck and the feel of the Docile pushed into his veins. When the needle was removed, the Observor placed it in his coat pocket, and continued to stroke Ellison's head lightly with his fingers all the while talking in his soothing tone. "Its alright, Ellison. We are not angry at you for hiding this from us. We understand. Sssshhhh, rest now. Breathe in...breath out. Sssshhhh." The Observor's voice disappeared as Jim slipped into unconsciousness.

PART 2

Orion 4

Spaceport City Cascade

October 6 2342

Blair was slumped down in a chair fast asleep when he was awoken by the slight shake of his shoulders. Blair opened his eyes and looked at Observor Corrins worried face. That woke Blair up quickly. "What is it, did they find him?"

"Blair, a report came in from an undercover IP in Rogueworld."

"Rogueworld!"

"Ellison's in Deneron's keeping." Observor Corrins finished.

"Deneron?" Blair didn't know the name.

"An Elium roguelord."

Blair was stunned,"A roguelord," he whispered. Suddenly, he wiped tears from his eyes angrily. He's not lost to me yet,Blair thought.

"What are we going to do?" Blair asked.

The Imperial Police have little or no authority on Rogueworld. The Empress has tried to keep the Empire out of direct confrontation with Rogueworld because they are the buffer between the Empire and the Duitrians." The IP captain said. "I have orders to send you, Blair, along with your supervisor, to the Amadeus."

"Why?" Blair was confused.

"The Empress has ordered that you attend an audience with her."

"What!" Blair stood up quickly, practically shouting. "Why would the Empress want to see me." Inside he was begging, please, oh, please don't let her be thinking of giving us away as a gift to someone. Usually that was the only reason a Guide would be called before the Empress, the only other one...

"She was informed that Ellison went rogue." Observor Corrins said quietly. "Come on, Blair. Don't think the worst here. Okay? The shuttle is leaving in an hour. We need to be on it."

Blair nodded and followed Corrins out of the IP building and into a waiting hovercar. The hovercar took them to the spaceport where a shuttle awaited them.

Blair sat back in his seat practically chewing his fingernails. Corrins, seated beside him, layed a comforting hand on Blair's shoulder.

"Everything will be alright, Blair."

"I hope so, Observor."

The shuttle launched from the spaceport. Once in space the jump engines came online and the ship jumped from normal space to subspace.

Two hours later the ship returned to normal space and thrusted its way into the docking bay of the warship, Amadeus. Once the shuttle powered down, and the Amadeus's shuttle bay was repressurized, Blair, Observor Corrins and the pilot disembarked. They were met by a contingent that included a five-star general, a colonel, and two lieutenants.

"Observor Corrins, " the general said holding out his hand. Corrins shook his hand, "General Ellison."

This man is Jim's father. Blair thought. Looking at the general, Blair could see the physical similarities between father and son. The same intense blue eyes, and firm jaw. The general, like his son, was a man to be reckoned with.

"General Ellison, this is Blair Sandburg." Observor Corrins said indicating the young guide.

Blair held out his hand. The general hesitated, then shook Blair's hand in a firm grip.

"Guide Sandburg, " the general acknowledged. General Ellison then turned to his collegues and made introductions. The big black colonel turned out to be Jim's ex-CO, Colonel Banks. The tall red haired female Lt. was Conner, and the young handsome Lt. was Rafe. They all shook hands. Th others seemd just as hesitant about Blair as the general had.

It must be strange for them. They worked with Jim, probably were friends, and now he's a sentinel. Property. And I'm his guide, his keeper. Blair understand their reluctance. He followed the general and the others through the corridors of the warship taking a lift several decks up. The general led them to the Command Deck, where Admiral Cantu awaited them.

We're to rendevous with the Imperial ship, The Elium Jewel, at the Euphredies sector. The Empress will be on board the Jewel, and the Amadeus is to join her honor guard fleet." the Admiral stated without preamble. the general just nodded. Blair then remembered that General Ellison was one of the Empress's advisors. Blair wondered if the General already knew those orders.

"Lt. Rafe, you and Lt. Conner escort Guide Sandburg, and Observor Corrins to their assigned quarters in the dignataries section." The Admiral ordedred.

Yes, sir." The young Lt. said then turned to Blair and Corrins, "If you will follow me, please."

Blair and Corrins followed the Lts. Blair wished his Sentinel was with him, then he could use those radar ears to find out what the General and Admiral were about to discuss. He could tell by both their attitudes that they were in disagreement about something.

They took the lift down a few decks and the corridors they now walked through were carpeted. The air smelled cleaner and the lighting was subdued.

Blair's room consisted of a sitting room with two midnight blue couches, a large vid screen, and a wooden coffe table with a glass surface. The bedroom held a large king sized bed with dark blue bedsheets, and bedspread, and a large dark wood armoir and dresser with mirror. The bathroom area was also spacious with a large bathtub instead of the usual shower.

His door chimed, and Blair told the person to come in. The door opened to admit Observor Corrins.

"How are you doing, Blair." Corrins asked.

"Not to good, Observor. I'm really starting to worry. Why does the Empress want to see me. Why send General Ellison out to meet us, and something's got that Admiral pissed off."

"The Army and the Navy never could get along. I think the Admiral is upset because the General is taking over his ship."

"Why?"

"Well as you know, General Ellison is one of the Empress's advisors. No doubt she gave the general specific orders. Private orders that the Admiral is not even aware of, only the authority attached to it."

"I understand, I think. But why me. Why see me? Is a rogue sentinel that much of a big deal?"

"You have to realise, Blair, that this is the first rogue sentinel we've had. Even other wildborns have never gone rogue, the bond calmed them. But this is the first wildborn we've had that came from the military. That could be the reason for his going rogue."

"I guess I'm not much of a guide." Blair said sullenly.

"Blair your a great guide, don't ever forget that. That sentinel was close to dying. He was slowly committing suicide. You saved him. Its not your fault he's so damn stubborn."

"What is she going to do?"

"I'm not exactly sure. You know the rules. Only a member of the Elium Thousand Houses can own a sentinel, as well as anyone that the Empress gives a sentinel to as a gift. And you know prickly Elium honor. After all its what caused them to conquor Earth. For Deneron to have a sentinel, even a rogue, goes against her honor, as well as the honor of the Houses. Basically he's declared war on her house. I think Deneron knows this, but believes that the Empress won't do anything about it."

And you think she will? Start a war over a sentinel?"

"Not a war, no and not just over a sentinel. Its about honor, Blair. That's why the Amadeus is going to be a part of the honor guard fleet. We'll find out when we get there. I'll tell you one thing, Blair. I wouldn't want to be Ellison when the Empress gets a hold of him. "

Blair realised that he didn't either, but as his guide he would be beside him.

After dinner, which he had at the Officer's mess, Blair bathed, then readied himself for bed. He studied some of his textbooks for a couple of hours then drifted off into sleep.

Blair stood again on the crumbling steps of the ancient temple. Sweat beaded out of Blair's body, the humidity and heat of the jungle taking its toll. The cawing of birds in the distance, and the clicking of insects were the only sounds. Blair looked down at himself realising that he wore only a loincloth made from the hide of some unfortunate animal. He looked around for his spirit guide and found the silver wolf lying on a stone above him. The wolf looked at him with what Blair suspected was amusement. Blair mock glared at the wolf, who lifted its shaggy head.

(Where is your sentinel, young guide?) The wolf asked him via mindspeak.

"As if you don't know. He's run off because I couldn't keep him at my side." Blair answered.

(You seek to keep your sentinel close.) The wolf asked then turned its head in the direction of the temple. Blair followed the wolf's gaze and saw the black jaguar pacing back and forth as it dragged a heavy gold chain that ran from a thick gold collar encircling its neck. Blood oozed out from beneath the collar and the jaguar looked close to exhaustion. (Is this what you wish, Guide?)

Blair fell to his knees. "NO!" He shouted tears falling down his face. He would never want this for his sentinel. How can I stop it,He thought. He was less a prisoner than Jim, but still a prisoner. Caught within the power of their bond.

(The bond is not your prison, Blair. The Sentinel believes it to be. For him to heal he must know the truth.) The wolf leaped off the rock and padded to the jaguar stopping short when the jaguar tried to attack, but was brought up short by the chain leash. The wolf turned and looked at him.

Blair wiped tears from his eyes, and stood up. He walked over to the jaguar. He did not cry out when the claws swiped his arms leaving four bleeding parallel wounds. The jaguar fell to the ground completely exhausted, the fight gone from him. He layed full length exposing his vulnerable throat to his "enemies". Blair reached out and removed the gold collar. The wounds caused by the collar healed when the blood from Blair's wounds fell upon them in tiny drops. The jaguar stood, and looked at Blair with his golden yellow eyes for the longest time. The jaguar then leaned forward closing its eyes, mouthing coming open. A warm pink tongue swiped across Blair's face, and a furry head came under his chin. Blair stroked the powerful animal as his wolf came forward and licked the jaguar's throat affectionatly.

Blair awoke to the sound of his door chime. He slipped on a robe and told the person to enter. The door slid open admitting General William Ellison.

"Mr. Sandburg, I believe we need to talk." The General said.

"Yes, General. I believe we do." Sandburg nodded.

Rogueworld
Deneron's Lair Vegas City
October 7 2342

Jim Ellison opened his eyes and looked up at the Duitrian's insectlike face. Groaning, Jim pushed himself to a seating position, the chain scraping across the carpet. The collar felt heavy around his neck, and Jim could feel a crick in it already. Ignoring the pain, Jim looked back at the Ditrian.

"Come to take me to my permenant room?" He asked remembering what Deneron had said before the Docile had kicked in completely. The Duitrian cocked its head and looked at Jim with its compound eyes, then nodded.

In its own language it asked, "Can you walk?" The Duitrian language was a series of clicking sounds made by the insects maw snapping together. It was a complex language, but Jim had learned it while serving as a Ranger.

"Yeah." He answered then got to his feet shakily. He was still wearing the jeans, and shirt he had stolen on Orion 4, and the boots he had been given at the Compound. The Duitrian came forward on its six pairs of feeler covered legs. It looked like an ant the size of a horse. However, on its rear section was a long curved tail with a stinger on the end. The stinger held a paralyzing poison that rendered its victim helpless. The strangest thing about the poison was that Sentinels were immune to the effects. All other creatures, including Duitrians, were affected by the poison. It did not kill except in larger doses. But a Sentinel remains unaffected even after multiple stings. The insectoid unhooked the chain from the ring in the wall and with a tug on the leash, it turned and left the room with Jim following.

The Duitrian led him down some carpeted hallways, into an elevator that took them twelve stories up. The room that the Duitrian ended up in was large, and richly decorated. A large vid screen covered one wall. Two couches, and reclining chair formed a semicircle in front of the vid. In the middle of that circle was a coffee table with a glass surface. Expensive paintings, by both human and alien artists, decorated the walls. Sculptures sat on other tables around the sitting room. Jim noticed the lack of windows. The Duitrian took him into the bedroom where a large four poster bed with silk draperies around it took up most of the room. A dresser made of oak stood in one corner with a mirror above it. Beside it was a wooden chest. A door at one wall lead to the bathroom area.

The Duitrian reached out and placed one claw beneathe the iron collar, and in a demonstration of Dutrian strength, snapped the iron in two. Jim was unimpressed...he had seen Duitrian strength before. The Duitrian then took a metal object off of the bed and handed it to Jim.

"Put on, around neck." The Duitrian ordered in its language.

Jim took the new gold collar and place it around his neck. It locked into place magnetically.

"Do not leave room. Will cause pain. Not kill, but incapacitating." The Duitrian finished.

"The bedroom or the whole room?" Jim asked.

"Whole room. Clothes in chest. Take shower. Change into clothes. Food later." With that the Duitrian left the room completely shutting the heavy door behind him. Jim punched the wall with full force. "Fuck!" He then began to pace the room like a caged panther, growling beneath his breathe.

Finally, when he was able to calm himself enough, he went over to the chest, and opened it. Inside were black jumpsuits like the ones he had worn at the compound. There was also underwear and socks. Taking what he needed, Jim walked into the bathroom and started the shower. Stripping out of the stolen clothes, he stepped under the hot spray and allowed the water to massage the knots from his muscles. He used the soap and shampoo, getting rid of the smell of sweat and blood. When he was done, he toweled himself dry, then dressed in the provided clothes. His hearing caught the sound of a door opening, and Jim walked out into the sitting room in time to see Deneron enter. The man looked at Jim critically, then nodded and walked into the bedroom. Jim went over to one of the couches and sat down. He heard the shower turn on. He could hear Deneron moving around in the bathroom, and tuned out the sounds. Jim ran a hand threw his short hair, and leaned his head back against the headrest of the couch.

Some minutes later, Deneron came back into the sitting room wearing a robe. The door opened and a Lorkian slave trotted in on cloven feet. The slave was pushing a silver cart with silver covered dishes. The Lorkian kept its dark eyes to the ground, its horned head lowered submissively. The Lorkian stopped the cart beside the dining table, and placed one of the covered trays onto the table. He uncovered the tray revealing a boiled lobster surrounded by raw oysters sitting on a bed of algae and seaweed. The smell of the algae was nauseating to Jim, and he tried to tune it out. Before he had escaped Blair had tried to teach him some techniques with his senses, but Jim had ignored the Guides help. Now he wished he had listened. The slave then took a silver urn shaped dish off of the cart and set it on the table. The slave lifted the lid to reveal white caviar. Jim knew knew that the fish eggs came from a fish on Tao Setti 3, and was illegal to harvest unless one was a member of the Thousand Houses. Setting the table for one with the matching dishes, and silverware, the slave then poured a delicate white wine into Deneron's glass. Deneron seated himself at the table, then nodded to the slave who quickly wheeled the cart over to the low coffee table. The slave set the table with some dishes and silverware, then placed the other covered tray on the wooden table taking off the cover to reveal a thick steak cooked to perfection, a baked potato smothered in butter, and sprinkled with chives. Also on the plate was steamed brocolli and asparagus mixed. The slave then sat a pitcher of water on the table, then wheeled the cart out.

"Eat, Ellison. The food is excellent." Deneron ordered then began to crack into his lobster. Jim got up from the couch and walked over to the coffe table. He sat down on the floor, and picked up the knife and fork. Contemplating the knife, he decided it wouldn't do any good to kill Deneron, he'd still be stuck in the damn room thanks to the collar that he wore snugly around his neck. Jim cut into his steak and took a bite of it. Deneron had been right, the food was excellent and Jim dug right in.

When both of them were finished, the slave came back in and cleaned off the tables. Jim watched the Lorkian. He had seen Lorkians before. They were peaceful herbivores who raised a crop that had similair properties to cotton, except that fabric made from the annuia plant were non irritating to Sentinels. The material of the clothes he now wore where made from annuia fibers. Jim wondered briefly how this Lorkian had ended up as Deneron's slave. Jim knew the goat like Lorkain was a slave by the silver ring in its nostrils. Lorkian didn't have much of a neck for a slave collar. The slave finished, then wheeled the cart out. Jim stayed seated on the floor, his back against the wall as he watched Deneron get up from the table and seat himself on the couch.

"Vid on." Deneron ordered and the large vid screen came to life on the only channel available..legally at least. The INN, Imperial Netband News, displayed a picture of Jim Ellison. The reporter, a Katathachian female with blue skin and blue hair, spoke.."The rogue sentinel, James Ellison, is still at large. The sentinel escaped from the Compound on Orion 4 two days ago. No injuries to staff were reported, however it was confirmed that the sentinel himself was injured during the escape. The sentinel is said to be armed and extremely dangerous. Citizens are urged not to attempt a capture, and to report his presence to the IP's." The reporter then turned to another story, one centering around an earthquake on Euphriades 3. Apparently the empress herself was en route aboard her ship, The Imperial Jewel, to help in relief efforts.

Deneron looked at Jim, "Injured?" The tone brooked no disobediance demanding an answer.

"My arms, " Jim ansered sullenly, "The razor wire cut them, but I stole a first aid kit along with those clothes. "

Deneron nodded. Deneron then turned his attention back to the vid. Jim watched the news from his position listening to the reports of the number of dead on Euphriades 3. The reporter said that a honor guard of ships was escorting The Jewel to the Euphriades sector. Jim wasn't surprised that the Empress was heading there. A point of honor among the Houses was their charity. House members felt that since they were better off than most that it was part of their duty to help others in need. A matter of honor. Eliums had a complex system of honor that made the Japanese system seem almost easy to understand.

Deneron then switched the vid to one of the illegal channels that were transmitted from planets in the Aries system. On the vid, a human slave and a Bhodivian slave were fighting it out inside a forcefield cage. The Bhodivian outweighed the human by at least eighty pounds, and the bear-like alien's claws were leaving huge bleeding gashes in the human's skin. The human however was apparently a martial artists, and delivered a few punishing blows to the Bhodivian.

Jim shuddered inwardly at the image before him. Years before, when he had been sixteen, Jim had been kidnapped along with ten other kids from Centaurri 3. Their kidnappers had managed to get them offworld, and delivered to Aries 2. There they had been sold to the highest bidders. Jim had been sold to a very powerful roguelord who for thirteen months had Jim trained to fight in the arenas on both Aries 2 and Rogueworld itself. Jim's father had used all means available to rescue his son. In that thirteen months Jim had fought three times, and had killed all three times.

Jim stood up and walked into the bedroom trying to hide his discomfort from seeing the images on the vid screen. Inside the bedroom, he sat on the floor, back against the wall and attempted to block out the sounds of the fight. Sometime later he heard Deneron laugh, and say something about that son of a bitch owing him twenty thousand. Jim realised that Deneron had had a bet on the fight.

Deneron walked into the bedroom, noticing Jim seated on the floor. Behind him another Lorkian slave came in and opened the closet to reveal the hanging suits. The Lorkian pulled off his master's robe then proceeded to dress Deneron in a dark suit. The Roguelord stood calmly as the Lorkian dressed him, his large dark eyes expressing boredom. Jim ignored what was going on in the room. When Deneron was dressed, he studied himself in the full length mirror on the other side of the closet door.

"Yes, this is good." Deneron told the slave, "Have Deryk ready the hovercar. Then prepare the Sentinel for our trip."

Jim looked up when he heard that word, and looked at Deneron suspiciously, but said nothing. Deneron smiled as the Lorkian went into the sitting room and used the vid to contact Deryk. When the Lorkian returned to the bedroom, it had in its two fingered hands a long gold metal leash. Jim looked ready to attack the Lorkian if it came anywhere near him. The Lorkian hesitated at that look. Deneron walked over and grasped Jim's collar hauling the Sentinel to his feet.

"You had better learn to obey, Ellison." Deneron hissed in Jim's ear. "Even my lowliest slave has authority over you. You had best remember you are only a pet. You belong to me. Consider this your first lesson." With that he slammed Jim face down over the bed, and reached out his free hand toward the Lorkian, who handed his master the leash. Jim tried to struggle, but Eliums were stronger than humans and only suceeded in pissing off Deneron even more. The Roguelord used the leash like a whip, and beat Jim across his back and buttocks. Even with the clothes on, the Elium's strength made the blows feel as if the leash was a lead pipe. After several blows, three of which having torn through the jumpsuit and the flesh on Jim's back and buttocks, Deneron snapped the leash onto the collar. He pulled on the leash, and Jim came unsteadily to his feet.

"Now, I have to clean you up. You make me late, Ellison, and this beating will be nothing to the one you will get later." With that he half dragged Jim into the bathroom. The Lorkian followed.

In the bathroom, the Lorkian stripped Jim while Deneron held the leash. The Lorkian used a wet rag to wash off the blood from the three cuts that had made it through the clothes. One across his shoulders, another in a slant down his back, and the last across his buttocks. He doctored them only with iodine paint. When the Lorkian was done, he redressed Jim in underwear and a fresh jumpsuit. Jim did not try to fight. His neck hurt as well as his back, and he knew both would be sporting massive bruises later. When Jim was fully dressed, Deneron nodded. The Lorkian bowed, and left the room. Deneron followed leading Jim by the leash. Deneron turned off the beta wave field that would activate the collar's pain enhancers with a hand to the palm print on the wall. Jim followed Deneron out of the room on bare feet, and through the corridors. Outside, the hotel/casino, a large black hovercar awaited them. Deneron got in and seated himself on the large black leather seat. He pushed Jim down on the floor board in front of him with a hand on the Sentinel's shoulder. Inside the hover car was the Duitrian, who managed to seat itself across the length of the other seat. The doors closed, and the hovercar took off. During the drive, Deneron spoke to the Duitrian about his latest deals, and a major shipment of Golden coming in from Aries 3. While he spoke, his hand absently petted Jim's head and neck. The sentinel endured the petting, with only the heat in his icy blue eyes betraying his anger and aversion. The drive was uneventful, but Jim did get an earful of Deneron's shady deals. During the trip he had ordered two hits via vidphone, one on a small time dealer, and the other on one of his male human prostitutes that was selling his ass on the side, keeping all the money earned.

Finally, the hovercar stopped, and the door was opened by a human slave dressed in a dark suit. The slave looked familiar, but Jim couldn't quite place it. Thinking it was just coicidence, he shrugged it off and forgot it. Following Deneron, Jim noticed that the hotel belonged to Kit Dahlai. Jim remembered him too well from when he had worked on Rogueworld undercover. Kit had lost a lot of business and money while Jim had been undercover. Wondering if the fat roguelord would remember him, Jim followed Deneron into the hotel.

They were stopped by guards, who immediatly searched them, including Jim, for weapons. When none were found, the guards led Deneron, the Duitrian and, of course, Jim, into an elevator that took them to the top floor. Inside the large suite, seated on a couch was an extremely fat Darsian male. With the Darsians white skin, and large head, Jim was reminded of a maggot. The roguelord was nude, as he always was, his large four legs spread out before him, and his genitals displayed for all to see. Beside him, slim Darsian, and human female slaves bathed the large white body with oils. The first time Jim had seen the fat SOB, he had nearly thrown up at the sight. Now, he just ignored the Darsian roguelord.

"Aaah, Deneron. Welcome to my home." Kit boomed, then belched. "And I see you have a new pet. He looks familiar."

"Cut the crap, you fat fuck." Deneron said, "You know exactly who this is, so stop playing games. Let's cut to the chase. Your pirates hijacked one of my transports. Now I either want the cargo now, or restitution."

"Deneron, Deneron, " Kit continued, "What makes you think those were my pirates. And even if they were, do you think to come into my lair to threaten me. Come now, Deneron, I thought we were above threats. Now, I never talk business with men who can't even enjoy my hospitality. Take a seat, Deneron." Kit gestured with one of his stubby arms toward a plush cushioned chair. Deneron looked at the chair, then walked over to it. Jim followed obediantly.

Deneron seated himself in the chair, and pulled Jim to a seating postion on the floor directly beside the chair. Jim leaned his shoulder against the chair, and listened to the conversation with only remote interest. As before in the car, Deneron idly petted his sentinel while he spoke with Kit.

"Deneron, sometimes I think you've lost your mind." Kit said. "The Empress is not going to be pleased when she discovers that your claiming ownership of a Sentinel."

"I'm not here to discuss the Empress, or the sentinel. My shipment of Cosmic, I want it now. I know those pirates were your yours."

"Were they now. You know I have many pirates in my employ. How can you be so sure?"

"You should know the answer to that, Kitt."

"Now, I may have your shipment, and I may not..."

Deneron interrupted, "Stop playing these asinine games, Kit. Either I get my damn shipment, or its worth in lightstones, or I'm going to have you blown out of an airlock!" As he spoke, Jim could smell the fury coming off Deneron in waves, and the Elium's hand ceased its petting and gripped the back of Jim's neck above the collar firmly. Jim shifted a bit under the discomfort of the grip, and Deneron's hand released him returning to the earlier petting.

More threats?" Kit said trying to sound casual, but Jim could smell that the fat roguelord was a afraid. Terrified, even.

"Perhaps, we can come to some sort of deal." Kit continued.

"No deals. I told you want I wanted."

"You haven't even heard me out." Suddenly Kit's sickly yellow eyes shifted to the sentinel. "I see you have Ellison under control. I remember when he was working for Deiniera. He was fucking her, too, as I recall. When her organization was pulled down, quite alot of my businesses went down the drain. I owe Ellison for what he did."

"Take your revenge in the satisfaction of knowing that Ellison is now my pet, because I will not give him to you for even a second so that you can play your sick games with him. He belongs to me."

"I take satisfaction in knowing that, Deneron. Believe me, I do. But it is not enough for revenge. I lost quite alot of money because of him. I will either take the money or take it out on him. Your choice." The guards suddenly powered up their energy rifles. Deneron's hand tightened around Jim's neck again, this time tighter. Jim knew the reason wasn't because Kit had pissed him off.

"Fine, keep the shipment, Kit. It is more than enough to pay for the revenge. The sentinel stays with me." Deneron said, the hand gripping even tighter.

"An even trade, Deneron." Kit agreed, then looked at Ellison again. "Its too bad, Ellison. I would have enjoyed having you here." The leery smile made Jim's stomach queasy. He was suddenly glad that Deneron had him. Even though he knew he was in trouble when they got back to Deneron's Lair, at least Deneron only treated him like a pet. If he had fallen into Kit's hands, or any of the other roguelords, they would have tortured him. And the first thing they would do, Jim knew, is rape him. With Deneron, he had no worries that that would happen. The Elium probably had his body slaves he used for sex, but using a pet would come close to beastiality, and would stain his honor too much.

Deneron stood up, pulling Jim to his feet by the leash. The Dutrian followed as they walked out of the room. Kit called out, "Nice doing business with you Deneron!" and laughed.

Deneron said nothing on the drive back. He sat calmly in his seat, but Jim knew that it was deceptive. He could still smell the fury coming from the Elium roguelord. Jim sat on the floorboard between the two seats that were on opposite side of the back of the hovercar. Deneron's hand rested on Jim's shoulder, and now and then would move in a petting motion up and down Jim's head and neck.

When they reached Deneron's Lair, Deneron practically dragged Jim up to the roguelord's suite. Inside, the Lorkian slave awaited them. Deneron reactivated the beta wave field, then handed the leash over to the Lorkian. Another slave, this one a human male, helped Deneron out of the suit, and into silk pajamas and a robe. When he was dressed in the robe, Deneron took back the leash and hauled Jim into the bedroom.

"Your past cost me quite alot of money today, Ellison." Deneron said coldly.

"You should have known my past would follow me here, Deneron." Jim said back. Deneron's hand cuffed him hard across his head. Jim blinked back the darkness that tried to close around his eyes.

"Never speak to me in that tone again, Ellison. You obey orders, but you do not have the right to speak unless I ask you a question. Understand?"

Jim nodded.

Satisfied, Deneron grabbed Jim's collar and threw him onto the bed. Jim didn't even bother to fight Deneron as the man unzipped the black jumpsuit and pulled it from Jim's body. Once done, Deneron removed the leash and folded it in half.

The beating he had recieved before was nothing compared to the beating he now recieved. There was no cloth to help soften the blows, and his skin was opened more than three times. Jim refused to make a sound and bit down on his tongue to ensure that he wouldn't. The salty mettallic taste of his own blood filled his mouth, and if it hadn't been for the pain across his back and buttocks he would have zoned on the taste.

When it was over, Deneron left the room leaving Jim lying across the foot of the bed. The Lorkian slave came in, and doctored the cuts on Jim's back with iodine paint, after washing off the blood. Jim made no move to stop the Lorkian, and just layed across the bed quietly, eyes closed, the sounds of heartbeats echoing in his ears.

Sometime later, Deneron walked into the bedroom, and the Lorkian helped remove his master's robe. Jim still lay across the foot of the bed, but Deneron had yet to say anything about it. Instead, the roguelord crawled into the bed pulling the covers over himself. The Lorkian unfolded a quilt and layed it over Jim who was still nude. The lights then went off, and Jim could hear the Lorkian settling down in the sitting room to sleep and await his...their master's awakening. It wasn't long before the two heartbeats from the Elium had slowed and the soft snores began indicating a deep sleep. Jim then heard the Lorkian fall asleep, its small heart beating a bit faster but still slower than when the slave was awake.

Jim stretched out his hearing past the doors, and down the corridors. He could hear other heartbeats, some fast, some agonizingly slow. He could not recognize the heartbeats enough to indicate what race or species they came from.

Suddenly Jim pulled back his hearing, and cursed himself mentally when he realised what he had been doing. Searching for a heartbeat that was several thousand light years away. A familiar heartbeat that he had used, he realised, numerous times to calm him into a deep sleep. A heartbeat he would probably never hear again.

Closing his eyes, Jim Ellison, Sentinel, former Star Ranger Captain, and now a pet, didn't realise that tears fell down his face as he tried to ignore the unknown pain that twisted inside him.

Amadeus
Enroute to Euphredies sector
October 7 2342

Blair watched as General Ellison paced the confines of the young Guide's quarters realising where Jim got most of his mannerisms. When they had first set down to talk, Blair could tell that the elder Ellison was trying very hard to dislike his son's guide. However, as the conversation had turned toward's Blair, going away for the moment from Jim, the general's dislike was slowly ebbing away and morphing to active respect.

General Ellison stopped pacing and looked at the long haired man that sat in a crosslegged position on the blue couch. Jimmy's Guide,he thought. When he had first learned from Colonel Banks what had happened to his son, he had been furious at the Colonel. But Banks had taken it in stride, and the General had calmed down enough to realise that the colonel had only been following orders. When he had calmed down enough, he had made the decision to tell his wife in person. Grace had not taken the news well. She had clung to him crying, saying her baby was lost to her for good.

From the time Jimmy had been born, with the doctors telling him that the umbical cord was wrapped around his newborn son's neck, and the child was not breathing, General Ellison knew that one day he would lose his son. It was as if an Oracle had whispered it into his ear, and General Ellison at first had refused to believe it. Even after his son had been kidnapped, the general had tried everything in his power to get him back. It had worked, and their son had been returned to them, only to lose him years later when an undercover assignment on Rogueworld had gone bad, and Jimmy's cover had been blown. Jimmy had rescued himself after having been tortured for information that he had not given them. Killing his captors, and stealing a pirate ship, Jim Ellison had made it home, scarred, but alive.

However, General Ellison had been prepared to lose his son to death, not to the existence his son now found himself in. Property. The word now disgusted the general. He had been raised under the Empire, under the rule of the now Empress's father. Raised to believe that Sentinels were property, that slavery existed, and was neccesary for the Empire to run. Not unlike the roman Empire of Earth's past. Unlike the roman Empire, the Elium Empire was in no danger of collapse due in part to the elaborate honor system of the Elium. Now his son was the property of the very Empress that the General served...and served proudly. As a member of her Council, and her advisor, General Ellison knew all the reasons that existed for it to be neccesary that Sentinels remained property, but that knowledge did nothing to ease his heart.

"I can't blame you." The General said suddenly. "You and I and even Jimmy are caught up in something bigger than all of us. Hell, you saved Jimmy's life when he was ready to throw it away. I can't fault you for that."

How do you know so much about what happened?" Blair asked.

"The Empress gave me permission to recieve reports on Jimmy. I know its against regulations, but the empress felt she owed me something after I saved her life. Since she could not relinquish her hold over Jimmy, and I would never ask her to, this was the best she could give me."

Blair nodded in understanding.

"What is it that you wanted to discuss, General?" Blair asked.

"Im not sure. I can't tell you what is about to happen, since Im not sure myself. I can tell you she doesn't plan to...put Jimmy down. Beyond that, she hasn't told me. Im not sure she herself knows what she plans to do. I knew Jimmy would try to escape, it was only a matter of time. I warned the Observors, it was my duty, but I don't think they truly believed Jimmy could escape them completely. Now my son,...your Sentinel, is now declared a rogue. The first ever. No, I don't think she knows what to do either."

"I think I can take just about anything, now that I know she won't have Jim," Blair swallowed, "put down." Damn was it so hard to say, Blair thought, and knew that it was.

Blair realised as he listened to the General, that he like this man. The General truly loved his son, and had tried everything possible to help him. It was neither the General's fault, nor Blairs's that Jim had turned out to be a sentinel. The cards had been dealt, and Blair, a master poker player, knew that he needed to play them out. He just hoped that his hand was good enough.

Amadeus
Euphredis Sector
October 8 2342

Blair stood waiting at the shuttle with Observor Corrins standing beside him. The door to the shuttlebay opened admitting General Ellison followed by Colonel Banks.

"Are we ready to go, gentlemen? We can't keep the Empress waiting." The General asked as he walked into the shuttle without waiting for an answer. The others followed. The general motioned for the Colonel to take the pilot's chair.

"Im sure you remember how to fly one of these baby's Colonel." The General smiled as he said it.

"Like riding a bicycle, General." Colonel Banks answered back, and that's when Blair realised that the Colonel and the General were friends.

The General laughed as he sat back in one of the passenger chairs. Blair and Corrins took their seats, and buckled themselves in, and the shuttle door closed and sealed. The bay depressurised as the huge doors opened. The forcefield was disengaged as the shuttle launched itself smoothly out of the bay and into the welcoming ifinity of space.

through the port windows, Blair could see the Amadeus suspended in the alluring darkness. Blair could also see other ships hanging in space, ships of all different sizes and types. However, the ships, even the Amadeus, was dwarfed by the sleek and powerful looking ship that the shuttle headed for.

The Jewel of Elium was a ship as big as a small moon. The Empress lived on the ship as did the crew, and the Empress's entourage which included several thousand soldiers, servants and slaves and their families. Blair knew that the Council of Thirteen and their families lived on board the ship as well, along with their entourage and household. The ship was also heavily armored, with firepower enough to take out a planet and leave it nothing but a barren and radioactive wasteland. The ship was a traveling planet, and it belonged to the Empress. Elium was a dead world, but its survivors lived on other ships like the Jewel or planets conquerored thousands of years before. Elium was dead, but the Empire was the most powerful force in the universe, and the empress the most powerful woman.

The Jewel of Elium
October 8 2342
Euphredies Sector

Blair Sandburg forceably relaxed his fists as he waited outside the large double doors that led to the Imperial Court Chamber on the Jewel of Elium awaitng summons. Using breathing techniques he had learned in his meditation class, Blair was able tp calm his nerves a bit. The thought, what does she want? continued to whirl around in his mind.

Beside him, Observor Corrins noticing the young guides nervousness, placed a comforting hand on Blair's shoulder. Blair smiled up at him, and Corrins returned the smile. Blair was extremely glad that his advisor and mentor was there to help him.

At that moment the doors swished open and an Imperial Herald stepped through. The elium Herald wore a royal purple tunic and black trousers, the symbol of the Imperial Crown, two white stars representing power and honor respectfully, on either side of a red jewel that represented the Empress herself stitched into the left breast. the elium Herald motioned for the Guide and Observor to follow him, and in a loud voice that rang in the great hall, announced them, "Guide Blair Sandburg, and Observor Michael Corrins!"

Blair and Corrins strode side by side down the length of the room. On either side of them the assembled Court, nobles from the Thousand Houses, watched them with their large dark eyes. Four feet from the dias where the Empress sat upon the Elium Throne, Blair and Corrins knelt. Blair as the active Guide having higher status, only knelt on one knee, right hand pressed to the floor, left hand fisted and over his heart, head bowed. Beside him, Corrins knelt in a similiar pose, but his head more bowed and his other knee more bent, because he was not an active Guide.

A few minutes past as the empress studied the two knelt before her. silence had descended upon the hall as the nobles awaited her command.

"Arise, " the Empress ordered and Blair and Corrins lifted their heads. None but the Heir and Consort was allowed to stand in the Empress's presence when brought forth in such a manner.

Blair looked at the Empress, studied her. Like all Elium, she was tall and slender, her large dark eyes containing no white. Her skin was a pale blue color, her nose just two slits, and her lips were full and dark. Her voice when she spoke was high and commanding.

According to the reports, my wildborn Sentinel has gone rogue. Is this true?" She asked already knowing the answer.

"Yes, Your Highness." Blair answered his throat suddenly gone dry.

Then your orders are quite clear, Guide Sandburg. You will return to me in five standard days hence, and present to me my rogue sentinel, alive, and the head of this roguelord who dares to usurp what is mine. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Your Highness." Blair said by rote, his heart clenching in his chest.

"Good. General Ellison has the specifics on how this is to be accomplished. You may leave." She dismissed them. After bowing their heads again, they stood still slightly bent at the waist, took three steps back, pivoted on their heels and walked out of the room.

Outside the room, Blair leaned against the wall his knees suddenly gone week.

"Easy there, Blair. are you going to be alright?" Corrins held on to Blair's shoulders, worry creasing his face.

"Yeah, I think so. Oh, man. She wants me to bring her Jim, and this roguelords head!"

"Calm down Blair." Corrins said as he helped Blair to walk away from the door and toward a drop tube. "Your not going to have to kill this roguelord yourself, okay. the General is sending a Star Ranger team with you. They will handle everything. All you have to handle is your sentinel."

"You mean her sentinel." Blair answered sarcastically.

"Yes, technically all sentinels belong to the Empress, but spiritually Sentinels belong to their Guides."

"Are you coming?"

"No, I can't go with you. I have nothing to contribute, and I am too old for these adventures. You can handle Ellison, the Rangers can deal with everything else."

Blair laughed, "You are not too old for adventures, Teacher. I seem to recall all those adventure stories you told us about in class."

Corrins laughed with him, "Aaah, yes, the good old days!"

At that moment, Lt. Rafewalked up to them. "Guide Sandburg, the general wants to speak with you before we leave."

"Alright, Lt." Blair followed Lt. Rafe leaving Corrins after a brief hug. He followed the young Lt. into a small conference room. Inside, the General stood with his back to them staring out a port window. Through the window, Blair could see Euphredis 3.

The General turned toward them, "Guide Sandburg, thankyou for coming. You may go Lt." Rafe raised his left fist and layed it against his chest over his heart, then pivoted and left the room. The Imperial salute, the left hand representing honor pressed against the heart to say that honor is in one's heart.

"One of our confiscated pirate ships has been refitted and modified, and is on standby. Colonel Banks and myslef worked together on the plan."

"What exactly is the plan?"

"Deneron has put out word in the black market that he wants you."

"Me! Whatever for."

"You are Jimmy's guide. Deneron knows this and knows that to get the maximum performance from Jimmy, he will need the Guide. So we are going to give him the guide."

"I feel like I missed something." Blair mumbled.

The team will go in as pirates. They will ask for an audience with Deneron claiming that they have a gift for him. You."

"A gift, " Blair said confused. "Why don't they sell me?"

Because Deneron only buys drugs, weapons and slaves. You are none of those things. Deneron killed the pirates that attempted to sell him Jimmy."

"Oh, okay. Wouldn't want that o happen."

"When you are in, the tracking device on you will tell the team where you are. They will then extract both of you from Deneron's clutches."

"Are you sure he'll keep me in the same place as Jim?"

"Very sure. You don't seperate sentinels and Guides. He's Elium, he knows that."

Blair nodded.

When Blair first saw the team that he would be going with, he nearly didn't recognize them. The team consisting of Colonel Banks, Lt. Rafe, Lt. Conner, and Lt. Brown, all wore battle scarred body armor, scruffy looking clothes. Thier hair was longer, Brown had his in braids, Banks wore a goatee, and Conner looked downright lethal.

"Man you guys nearly gave me a heart attack. I thought you were real pirates!" Blair said amazingly.

Conner laughed, "That's the point, Sandy." Conner insisted on calling him Sandy. Blair couldn't get her out of th habit no matter how hard he tried. On the trip to Euphrides, Blair had gotten to know the three Lts very well. They had all felt guilty in the part they had played in Jim's "capture", and like the General had wanted to hate Sandburg. But the Sandburg charm worked its magic, and he found three new friends in the fiery young lieutenants. Even Colonel Banks had a grudging respect for the young guide.

"Here Blair," Rafe handed over an earring made of silver.

Blair took it confused, but placed the earring in one of the three holes in his left ear.

"It had a tracking device in it. As long as you've got it on we can find you. It has a range of five miles."

Blair whistled in awe, "Wow, five miles, that's awesome!"

"Alright, people, we have a schedule to keep." Banks roared. "Let's get onboard!"

Blair sat in his seat in the spacious cockpit of the refitted pirate ship. Banks sat in the pilots chair, with Conner in the co-pilots postion. Rafe had navigation, and Brown held down weapons. Blair basically stayed out of the Rangers way. Having never learned to fly anything, Blair tried very hard to stay in the background.

They were two days out from the Euphrides sector with a shipment of Golden, and illegal weapons as part of their cover. The plan was to use Sandburg as a gift to get on Deneron's good side, so that they could make a deal with the roguelord on their cargo.

During the trip, the young lieutenants entertained Blair with stories of their adventures. Blair listened intently, asking questions every so often. Some of their stories even included some of Jim's exploits. They aslo told him about Rogueworld itself. They all had, at one time or another, been on Rogueworld, usually for an undercover assignment. Their stories were full of drama, and humor. Blair wondered briefly if he would be having adventures with his Sentinel. After hearing the Ranger's stories, he truly hoped not. He wasn't so sure that he would be as brave as the young Rangers. Or as foolhardy,Blair thought.

"We're coming up on Rogueworld. I've gotten clearance to land this puppy on Platform 8. Alright, people you know the drill." Banks ordered as he maneuvered their ship through the atmosphere and onto the landing platform near Vegas. The others performed their duties.

"Sorry, Blair." Rafe said as he locked the manacles around Blair's wrists.

Blair half heartedly smiled at Rafe, "Its okay." He was begining to not like the plan. Not that he had been thrilled with it before. Something about walking into the lion's den just didn't appeal to Blair.

Colonel Banks stood up from his seat after he turned off the engines. "Alright, Brown, you need to contact some of our operatives and get the scoop on who we need to contact to set up a meet with Deneron. Take Conner with you. And be careful."

Brown nodded, and he and Conner disembarked. Simon watched them leave, then turned to Rafe.

"I'm going to check out the hangar, and the platform. You stay here and guard Sandburg. If anything happens to he kid, I don't think hell or Deneron will stop Ellison from killing you." Rafe smiled at that, and nodded at the orders. Banks smiled back, then gripped Sandburg's shoulder. "We'll get him back." With that, Banks descended down the ramp, the door closing behind him.

"Now we wait." Rafe intoned.

Blair sighed. He hated waiting.

Four hours later, Brown and Conner returned. They had set up a meet with Deneron's right hand man, or alien.

"A Duitrian! Are you sure?" Banks asked in shock.

"Kinda hard to mistake those ants for anything else, sir." Brown said.

"Alright, I believe you. Must be an outcast." He mumbled the last part. He turned and looked at Brown, "When and where?"

"Were to meet at The Two Moons Club. Its one of Deneron's clubs. We need to go in the back way in about two hours."

"Okay, gentlemen. Unfortunatly, we won't be able to take any weapons inside, but arm up or they'll get suspicious if we don't have any weapons to confiscate." The others followed Bank's orders, and the five of them, with Blair in the middle, took a hovercar into the city. No one looked at the armed party with their prisoner twice. After all, it was the norm in Vegas.

Within the two hours, Banks and his group were outside the Two Moons Club. A human slave, escorted them around back, were several guards held them at gunpoint, while they were all searched, including Blair. The group took it in stride, and when all their weapons had been confiscated, their escorts took them inside.

The room they were in was dark and empty, except for the large Duitrian that stood in the center. The guards took up position around the room, while the Duitrian looked the group over carefully.

In its own language it asked, "What have you for my master?"

Simon answered in Standard, "A gift. We were on Orion 4 four days ago, when I heard that Deneron was looking for something. I had just obtained a shipment of weapons, and some pure Golden, and knew I would need someone to take them off my hands."

So you seek to Deneron as your patron?"

"Sounds good to me. I've got a gift in the form of a particular Guide right here. Just a gift, no demands or promises on Deneron's part." He grabbed Sandburg and pushed the guide in front of him as he spoke.

The Duitrian came forward. Feeler came over Sandburg's body, and the Duitrian could sense the Sentinel on the young human.

The Duitrian nodded, "Yes, I will accept gift on behalf of Deneron. Perhaps, later we can deal."

"Fine by me." Banks answered.

The Duitrian reached forward with a foreclaw and wrapped it around the chain between the wrists shackles. He then turned and left hauling Sandburg with him. Banks watched the Duitrian dissapear through a door with the kid. Good luck, kidBanks thought as he and the others were escorted out of the room and onto the streets. Their weapons were returned to them, and the guards went back inside. Banks motioned to his men, and they followed him to their hovercar. Silence reigned as they made their way back to their ship, and readied themselves for the coming night.

Jim Ellison lifted his head when the door to the room opened and stared in shock as Deneron came into the room with his hand on Blair's shoulder. The young Guide looked no worse for wear, but his bright blue eyes held fear in their depths.

Instinct took over, and Jim growled as he attempted to stand. Deneron gave the Sentinel a look, then ordered, "Sit!"

Sense came back, and Jim still growling under his breath obeyed the order. Deneron satisfied, steered the young Guide into the bedroom.

Inside the bedroom, Deneron took out a gold bracelet from his dresser. "Hold out your right hand, Blair." After a moment's hesitaion, Blair did as he was told. The Roguelord snapped the bracelt around Blair's wrist.

Deneron explained, "The bracelet is connected to the beta wave field that surrounds this room. Try to leave the room without the shield deactivated, and the bracelet will cause you severe pain. The collar that the Sentinel wears is the same. Do you understand?" Blair nodded.

"Good. Have you eaten lunch?"

Blair shook his head. "I will hav something brought up. In the meantime, I suggest you use this time to help strengthen your bond, as well as to begin training him." with that Deneron left the bedroom.

As he walked past the Sentinel, Deneron heard the low growling coming from the former Ranger. He ignored it, and left the room.

Jim then immediatly stood up and went into the bedroom.

"Are you okay, Chief?" Jim asked concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He wished he could tell his Sentinel the truth, but fear of being monitored stopped him.

"How did Deneron get you? I tought you's be safe at the Compound."

"I wasn't at the Compound, I was in the city looking for you."

"Dammit, you should have let the IP's handle that!" The Sentinel roared. Blair grasped Ellison's forearms.

"Easy, Jim. Calm down. Its alright." At the sound and touch of his Guide, the Sentinel calmed down. He brought the young man to him in a strong embrace and held him there taking in his Guide's scent, and the sound of his heartbeat.

Blair felt completely safe in that embrace, and welcomed it. He realised that his Sentinel had now accepted him as his Guide. Fully and completely. Blair was estatic.

After a few minutes, Jim realeased Blair reluctantly. He looked down at his Guide, then lowered his eyes. "I'd better go back in and finish my lunch. He hates it when I leave food on my tray." He looked at Blair again. "Are you sure your alright. No one hurt you or anything?" To make sure, Jim began to run his hands over Blair's body using his hypersensitive touch to determine his Guide's health. Blair allowed his Sentinel to do so, knowing that it was instinctual, and very badly needed by his sentinel.

Satisified that his Guide was unhurt, Jim walked back into the sitting room, Blair following. Blair noticed the tray on the coffe table. On it was a half eaten sandwich, mostly eaten cucumber and cantaloupe. Jim sat back down on the floor his back against the couch, and continued eating. Blair sat down on the couch, his knee touching Jim's shoulder. As Jim ate, Blair reached out and touched Jim's back. The Sentinel winced in pain, and Sandburg removed his hand as if he had burned himself.

"What's wrong with your back?" Blair asked.

Jim kept his head lowered and answered, "Deneron gets really angry when he's disobeyed." Jim shrugged, hoping the kid wouldn't make an issue of it.

Blair eyes widened and in a quiet voice he ordered, "Let me see you back."

Jim sighed, he should have known the kid would take it hard. Jim put down his sandwich, and unzipped his jumpsuit. He pulled his arms out of the sleeve,, and pushed the jumpsuit down to his waist. He heard Blair's sharp intake of breath, then felt his Guide's hand gently trace around the wounds.

"By the gods," Blair whispered, shocked. Jim's back was covered in black and purple bruises, along with scabbed over cuts that crisscrossed his Sentinel's back. Blair noticed that some of the wounds dissapeared into the jumpsuit below his waist. "Damn him."

"He usurping your territory, Chief?" Jim whispered.

"By all the gods, you don't really think that I would....Never!"

"Surely its crossed your mind?"

"There have been times you have frustrated me no end, but not once did I ever think about hitting you to make you obey. Not once." Blair was adamant.

Jim lowered his head and eyes, "I believe you, Chief." He whispered. Blair wrapped his arms around his Sentinels neck and layed his head on Jim's right shoulder. Jim leaned his head into Blair's. "Everything will be alright, Jim. You'll see."

Blair released his Sentinel, allowing the man to put back on his jumpsuit, and then resume eating.

the door opened, and a Lorkian slave came in with a tray for Blair, which he sat on the dining table. The Lorkian then left the room without a glance at the Sentinel and Guide.

Blair went over to the table and picked up the sliced turkey and cheese sandwich, and bit into it. It was pretty good, so Blair sat down and ate his lunch knowing he would need his energy later.

After they were done eating, Blair seated himself back on the couch with Jim sitting on the floor. Blair's right knee touched Jim left shoulder, and his right hand rested on Jim's right shoulder. Blair felt himself getting sleepy, and began to slump down in the couch. Jim looked at the guide and chuckled. Blair yawned and looked at Jim. "Man, I haven't gotten much sleep in the past several days."

"Sorry about that, chief. I don't think your going to have to worry about me running away again." He said looking aroud the room significantly.

Blair smiled at that, and layed down on the couch. Jim took Blair's boots off knowing Deneron would get pissed if he saw Blair with his boots on the furniture. Jim, after the first day, wasn't allowed on any of the furniture except the bed, where he slept on the foot of every night like a good pet. Blair closed his eyes. Jim sat back down on the floor, his head resting against the sofa where Blair's head lay. A hand reached out and layed itself on Jim's head and moved slowly down his head and neck until it came to rest on his left shoulder. The touch of his guide, even in the petting motion that Jim detested from Deneron, comforted the Sentinel and helped to ground his senses. He hadn't realised how easily he was using his senses now that his Guide was with him. Blair moved his hand a few more times, then kept it on Jim's shoulder as sleep overtook his weary body.

Mounting guard over his Guide, Jim stayed awake and layed a sensory net over them. He listened to his Guide's heartbeat and breathing, and used the feel of Blair's hand on his shoulder to keep him from zoning. He then extended his senses far beyond their prison hoping to get some kind of clue to help in an escape plan. He could not allow his Guide to remain in Deneron's clutches.

Sometime later, Jim was awakened when Deneron came close to the door. Fully alert, Jim watched Deneron enter the room along with a human slave. He looked over at the pair, Blair still asleep on the couch, and Jim seated on the floor, the guide's hand on the sentinel's shoulder, and smiled in satisfaction. Jim glared at the roguelord and followed the Elium's every movement with his eyes.

"Keep looking at me like that, and I'll make sure you won't forget the beating you'll recieve." Deneron warned. Jim lowered his gaze. "Good boy."

Deneron walked into the bedroom the slave following at his heels. Jim listened to the familiar noises that said that the slave was helping Deneron undress. A few minutes later he heard the shower running.

Blair groaned, and Jim turned his attention to his guide. The young man was slowly awakening. At first, his bright blue eyes held confusion, then suddenly comprehension as he remembered where he was. Jim smiled at the Guide, "Did you sleep good, Chief?" he asked.

Blair nodded as he yawned and st up on the couch. "How long have I been asleep?" He asked as he stretched.

"Just a few hours. Oh, and Deneron's here, taking a shower." Jim nodded his head in the direction of the bedroom.

"Oh, okay."

Jim listened as the slave helped Deneron redress, and watched the roguelord come out of the bedroom wearing a dark robe. The Elium walked over and seated himself on the other couch. He ordered the vid on, and had it changed to one of the illegal stations. The news was replaced with a ororu race. The creaures were bigger than horses and faster too. They could also go for miles. The race was a steeple chase, and during the course of the race, several oruru's were killed when they attempted jumps when they weren't ready. Deneron laughed at that, but seemed intent on the leader. Jim ignored the race, and Blair seemed to do the same. Blair's hand found Jim's shoulder again, and Jim could hear Blair's heart racing each time the roguelord laughed at a rider's misfortune. All the jockeys were of course slaves. Jim heard Deneron curse when the beast in the lead broke its leg in a water hazard, and the jockey was pitched foward over the eight legged beast's neck. "Damn fool. If he's still alive, he'll wish he were dead." Deneron muttered. Jim realised that the jockey and the beast belonged to Deneron. After that race were several others, and Deneron watched them all. Apparently the Elium had several orurus in the races. Some won, and some didn't. Deneron continued to laugh when jockeys and beasts were injured or killed as if it were the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

A few hours later, the Lorkian returned with dinner. Pot roast and potatoes. Blair and Deneron ate at the table, while Jim ate in his usual spot.

Halfway between the meal a red light began to flash through the room and a loud alarm went off. Jim cried out pressing the palms of his hands against his ears in an attempt to block out the sound. Deneron stood up quickly, and raced out of the room. Blair went over to Jim, touching the big man's shoulders, and quietly talking to him in his "guide" voice. He talked Jim into bringing the "dials" down on both his hearing and sight. Under his guide's voice and touch, Jim calmed down.

"What the hell's going on?" Jim asked.

A rescue, I hope.Blair thought, but did not voice it out loud in case it wasn't.

The door opened, and the Duitrian came into the room. It looked at Blair with its compound eyes, as it held a blaster rifle directed at them. Finally, it looked at Jim.

"Your comrades have come for you." The Duitrian said in its language.

"What do you mean?" Jim asked in Standard.

"It was trick. Guide brought them here." He looked at Jim then continued, "I not work for Deneron. Undercover for my Queen. Drugs brought into hive. Queen wanted to know if Empress had anything to with it."

"Your undercover, and your Queen thought that the Empress was helping Deneron bring drugs into your hive. Why did she think that?"

"Queen didn't believe at first, but then you showed up. Believed you were gift. I see we were wrong. You are not gift from Empress."

"No, definitly not a gift. The rogue thing is true."

"Yes, then it is in my hive's best interest that your people take you back."

"Why is that?"

"Treaty must be maintained."

"Treaty?" Jim was confused. He couldn't remember anything about a treaty with the Duitrians.

"Yes. Treaty made two hundred years ago. When Earth first conquered."

"And Sentinels were first discovered." Jim finished in shock.

The Duitrian nodded its ant like head. "Queen thought Empress would make army of Sentinels. But worst fear was that the Kierlians would take Sentinels and use against us."

"Keirlians?" Jim had never heard of that race.

"Beyond our territory, Kierlians use our young for food. They are not immune to poison."

"Why would the Empress want to keep the Kierlians from conquering your people."

"Keirlians would then seek out Empire, and destroy it. They are parasites that lay egss in live bodies. The people of the Empire would be nothing more than food. Adults attach themselves to host, control host. They cannot do this to Duitrians. Physiology is wrong."

Jim thought that perhaps his legs were not going to be able to hold him any longer. That was the secret. That was the reason Sentinels were kept as pets, kept under strict control. A treaty to protect the Citizens of the Empire from a parasitic race that only the Duitrians had the power to hold back. And he had nearly destroyed that treaty with even knowing it.

"Jim, man I only understood your half of that conversation. What's going on?" Blair asked worried about his Sentinel.

In a shaky voice Jim told Blair what he had learned. Blair stared at his Sentinel in shock.

The Duitrian broke the silence, "Your people come." He said, then reached out with a claw and hooked it beneath the collar around Jim's neck. He broke the collar in two, and did the same with the bracelet.

"Thank you." Blair said.

"Do not thank. Take your Sentinel, and go." Jim translated the words for Blair. The Duitrian then left the room. Blair hoped that Banks and the others didn't hurt the Duitrian. Thinking about it for a second he ammended his thoughts. He hoped the Duitrian didn't hurt Banks and the others.

"Come on, Chief." Jim said. Blair followed him.

Before they could leave the room, Deneron came in with knife in his hands, and bright pink blood on his hands and face.

"Your not going anywhere." Deneron said and lunged at Blair. Jim pushed his Guide out of the Elium's path and tackled the roguelord. Blair watched from his position of the floor as Deneron and Jfought to take control of the knife. Jim cried out when the knife plunged into his shoulder, but turned into an angry growl as he gripped Deneron's head in his hands. A quick twist and an audible snap told Blair that Deneron was dead.

Colonel Banks burst into the room, blaster pistol at ready. Behind him, Lt. Conner had blood on her forhead dripping down her face in a crimson trail. Blair rushed over to his injured Sentinel ignoring the dead ody of their captor. He pressed his hand against the wound to slow the bleeding and Lt. Conner knelt down beside him with a first aid kit in her hands.

Blair quickly opened the first aid kit and pulled out the dermaplast and a spray antibiotic. He sprayed the wound with the antibiotic, then covered the wound in the dermaplast. He saw Brown and Rafe enter the room as he took out a syringe and a bottle of Docile. He then put a small amount of Docile in the syringe to only help with the pain, then injected the Docile in his Sentinel's arm.

Only when that was done did Blair look at Deneron's body. He had something else he had to do.

"Blair take Jim out of here. Conner,you and Brown go with him. Rafe and I will take care of this." Banks said as he pulled out a lazerblade. Blair nodded and together he and Brown helped Jim to his feet and the four of them took the Sentinel away from his prison.

On the ship, Blair and Brown layed Jim on one of the medibunks. Blair put a healing lamp on Jim's shoulder, then layed down on the bunk beside him, arm carefully layed over Jim's chest. The Sentinel had lost consciousness in the hovercar. Banks and Rafe had brought down Deneron's head in a sack. There was no blood because the lazersword had cauterized as it passed through the neck. For that, Blair was extremely grateful.

The others looked at Blair laying peacefully beside their old friend whom they had helped bring down. though they had been following orders, they all felt as if they had betrayed their friend and former Captain and would never forgive themselves for doing so.

The ship lifted off. No one tried to stop them. Deneron had very few friends, and many more rivals. Those rivals would now split what was left of the Elium Roguelord's propery between themselves, or at least those who were powerful enough to keep it. The first few hours were endured in silence. Jim was healing, but still unconscious, Blair was asleep, and the others went through their duties with only a few neccesary words.

Five hours later, Rafe walked into the sickbay and saw that Jim was awake. Blair still lay against Jim's left side, his left arm thrown over Jim's chest, head resting on Jim's unwounded shoulder.

"Hey, Rafe." Jim said quietly so as not to disturb his guide.

"How are you doing Cap..um..Jim?" Rafe asked.

"Fine. How did you...?" He trailed off.

"The Empress sent us. Colonel Banks, and General Ellison came up with the plan to send Blair in with a tracking device knowing Deneron would be sure to keep you together."

"It was a good plan, I guess. Don't like the idea of them using Blair." Jim looked at the guide asleep beside him. He turned and saw Rafe had ben joined by Conner and Brown. Jim saw that they looked hesitant, and realised why.

"Its not your fault, guys. You did what you had to do, and I don't fault any of you for it. But if you need my forgiveness, then know that you have it. Your the best damn team I've ever had the privelege of working with, and I was proud to be apart of your team. Now forgive yourselves, or I'll pound some sense into the lot of ya." He finished with a chuckle. The other three burst out laughing, and Jim laughed with them. Blair had woken up and heard the exchange. Smiling he snuggled closer to his Sentinel. Blair was proud of Jim as well.

The Jewel of Elium
Euphrides Sector
October 12, 2342

Blair sat down on the edge of the large bed in his spacious quarters. Lying on his stomach, asleep thanks to the Docile, was his Sentinel. The bedspread covered Jim from the waist down, and Blair looked at the Sentinel's scarred back. The wounds had been treated, but after having been left untreated, they had left thin white scars across his Sentinel's back. Blair lightly traced his fingers across some of the scars, anger burning inside of him for the Roguelord. Blair moved his hand to Jim's head, and caressed down his Sentinel's head and neck in a soothing petting motion. Even in a drug induced sleep, Jim felt his Guide's presence and touch, as he leaned into the petting.

Corrins watched from the doorway, a smile on his face. He had noticed that the sentinel was more at ease with his Guide, and knew that the Sentinel had finally accepted the bond. He looked down at the onject in his hands. A gold Sentinel band with detailed jaguars carved around the band. the jaguars were in different poses. Some were leaping, others looked as if they were fighting an enemy. The one in the center, next to the small ring embedded into it, was lying on its stomach. Above it was a wolf, head resting across the jaguar's shoulders.

Blair turned and looked at Corrins as the Observor walked into the room. When Corrins handed him the Sentinel band, Blair looked at the jaguars, observing them, caressing them with his fingers.

"The Empress wants your Sentinel to wear this tomorrow. After all, he is a fully bonded Sentinel." Corrins told him. Blair layed the band on the nightstand beside the bed, then turned and looked at Corrins.

"I'm glad for you that he has accepted the bond." Corrins continued.

"I've accepted it too." Blair answered.

"What do you mean?" Corrins asked.

Blair told Corrins about his dream with the jaguar and his wolf.

"The bond was never meant to be a prison, Blair. I'm sorry if everything we taught made you think that way." Corrins said.

"It was not what you taught, Teacher. I just wasn't paying attention to the lesson. I saw everything that being a guide meant. The respect, the money, the brass ring. I wanted it all, Teacher. I was ready to grab for that brass ring, but I forgot what being a guide really meant. I forgot that there was someone else that was a apart of it all. I think that if I had bonded with a regular Sentinel, I would have never learned the lesson. It took a stubborn wildborn Sentinel to teach me the truth."

"And what is the truth, Blair." Corrins asked.

"That in the end its all about friendship, and nothing else, not this," Blair motioned to his Guide band, and the sentinel band," or this"indicating the luxerous room, "matters. The brass ring is right here." Blair said as he touched his sentinel's head.

"Blair, I have never been more proud of you than I am right at this moment." Corrins said. Blair hugged the Observor.

"Thanks, Teacher."

After Corrins left, Blair continued to sit on the bed, his hand resting on Jim's back. Under his hand, the sentinel began to stir.

Blair smiled, "Are you awake?"

Jim opened his eyes and looked at Blair, "Yeah, I'm awake." He yawned. Blair laughed.

"Are you hungry?" Blair asked getting up from the bed.

"Starved." Jim answered as he sat up. The knife wound was completely healed over, and unlike the wound on his back, it left no scar tissue.

"Get dressed and we can go get something to eat in the mess hall." Blair sat down in a chair and began to pull on his boots. Jim got out of bed, and after a quick shower, dressed himself in a black jumpsuit and boots. He noticed the Sentinel band on the nightstand. He picked it up and with his enhanced vision looked at the jaguars.

"Is this what I think it is?" Jim asked.

"A Sentinel band. Corrins brought it by. He says the Empress wants you to have it on by the time we go see her." Blair looked at Jim, "You don't have to wear it. Once you put it on, it will never come off. And there's no Duitrian around to snap it off."

"I know, Chief. Perhaps its this protective instincts, but I have to do what is neccesary to protect the tribe, right." Jim asked.

"That's always been a Sentinel's function. Protect the tribe."

"Yeah, only this time the tribe is billions of Citizens, some not even human, that in order to protect them from an invading parasitic alien race, I have to maintain a treaty by allowing myself to be controlled by everyone around me." Jim shook his head angrily, "I need to quit feeling sorry for myself, and just do what I have to do. What hundreds of other Sentinels before me have done." With that Jim placed the Sentinel band around his neck and heard it lock into place.

Blair had watched and listened to him the whole time, and at that moment he had stood up and wrapped his arms around Jim in a warm embrace. "I'm proud of you, Jim."

"Coming from you, Chief, that's the best thing I've heard, ever." He returned the hug. "Now lets go get something to eat. My stomach is gnawing at my backbone."

Blair laughed.

Epilogue

Guide Blair sandburg, and Sentinel Jim Ellison stood in front of the double doors that led into the Empress's Court. A Herald opened the door and motioned for them to enter.

The Herald announced them, Blair first. The assembled courtiers watched as the Sentinel and Guide walked down the length of the room. Jim was one step behind Blair on his left side. When they reached within four feet of the empress, Blair kneeled down in his ealier pose. Jim, as a Sentinel, lay on his stomach.

"Arise." The Empress said.

Blair lifted his head, and Jim moved to his hands and knees, head still bowed. Unlike before, Blair as part of his right as a Guide, layed his right hand on Jim's back.

The Empress stared at Jim for the longest time. Even with his head bowed, he could feel that gaze upon him. The Empress then turned her eyes to Blair.

"You have done as I ordered." It was not a question, but Blair nodded his head, and took the glass jar that Jim had been carrying and had sat on the ground, and held it before the Empress. Inside the glass jar encased in a liquid was Deneron's head.

"Good. I see you have also brought my Sentinel." She motioned for the General to come to her. Blair watched as General Ellison walked over to the throne and handed a small jewel encrusted box to the Empress. The General's face held no emotion, and Blair wished his empathic skills worked on others beside his Sentinel.

"Bring my Sentinel to the dias, Guide Sandburg."

Blair thought his heart was going to beat its way out of his chest. He stodd, head still bowed, back still bent as was proper, and with a hand on JIm shoulder he guided the Sentinel up the dias until they were in touching distance of the empress. Once there, Blair knelt back down.

"Lift your head, Sentinel." The Empress ordered. Jim did so and looked at the Empress's large dark eyes. The Empress opened the small box and brought out a rounded gold piece abou the size of a human eye. Blair could see that engraved into the gold piece was two stars on either side of a jewel. His breath caught in his throat as he realised what the Empress planned to do. Leaning over, the Empress attached the gold piece to the small ring on Jim's collar. Then she leaned back in her chair, and with her hands motioned on either side of her. Numbly, Blair stood and walked over to stand besdie the throne of the left side, while Jim crawled over and sat back on his heels on the right side. the Empress reached out and layed her left hand on Blair's arm, and her right hand on Jim's head.

On the right was the her personal pet Sentinel representing power, and on her left was the Sentinel's Guide representing honor. The courtiers all clapped as the Empress layed her hands on what belonged to her. Blair glanced over at Jim, who looked over at his Guide. Both of them knew what the Empress had done, but they knew that no matter where they were, living on this ship, or on Orion 4, they would handle it together. And in the end thats all that mattered.

 

The End