Title: Error in Judgement

# 3 in the Father Figure Series

Author: Amethyst

Pairing: none

Warning: DD/CP

Summary: blair makes some bad decisions acording to Jim's rules.

This is the standard disclaimer. They don't belong to me. This story is not intended to violate any copyrights held by Paramount, UPN, or Pet Fly Productions.

This story contains DD/CP. Be warned.



Error in Judgment
by Amethyst


Blair made his way back from the break room with two cups of hot liquid. Hot, probably, bitter coffee for his partner and strong, but fresh herbal tea for himself. As he approached their workspace, Jim hung up the phone with a bit more firmness than usually necessary.

"What's up, man? Problems? " Blair held out the mug of coffee to Jim along with a small look of concern.

Jim took the offered mug and with a quick grimace swallowed hastily. "No problem, Chief. Just the DA's office." He quickly stood and grabbed his coat from behind his desk. " I have to run over there and go over the Shipman case all over again. Some idiot lost the last 5 pages of the transcript from my debriefing. I'll be a couple of hours. Why don't you finish up the paper work on these last two files here and then head on back to the loft. I'll bring some chinese home, OK? "

Blair grabbed the two files Jim handed off to him, juggling his hot tea. "Sure, big guy, I can do that. You sure you don't want me to come with you?"

" No need, buddy. They just want me. Count yourself lucky. I hate doing this once, let alone a second time." He grimaced and took another quick swig of caffeine before handing Blair back the mug. "Maybe they'll have better coffee."

With a quick tap to the side of Blair's face, Jim strode out of the Major Crimes bullpen to the elevators and out of sight.

With a resigned sigh, Blair seated himself at Jim's desk and opened the top file. Ten minutes into the case he was distracted by a soft, husky voice at his elbow.

"Could you help me? Downstairs they said I could find Detective Ellison up here. The nameplate says this is his desk, but I KNOW you aren't him."

Blair looked up and couldn't stop the delighted smile that grabbed control of his face. Green eyes, long, shiny red hair, full, moist lips. His eyes traveled rapidly over the remaining features of the tall, willowy young woman before him. Nice figure, moderate make-up, and more than a little revealing blouse and miniskirt of black leather. 3-inch spiked boots completed the look.

'Man, oh, man, Jim was gonna be sorry he missed this one.'

Aware that his gaze was probably more than a little rude, Blair quickly brought his eyes back to the visitor's face. Clear green eyes stared into his.

"Find something you like, doll face?" Her voice was still husky but now had a teasing tone to it.

Blair blushed all the way to his ears and nervously stood.

"I'm sorry, please. Have a seat. Jim's not here right now. Probably won't be back until tomorrow. Maybe I can help you. I'm Blair Sandburg, Jim's partner." He quickly pulled the second chair around to a convenient spot by the desk. "Please, please sit down. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Don't be embarrassed, doll face. Where would I be if men didn't look me over like I'm a luncheon special. Don't worry about it." A fingertip lightly touched his chin. " I kinda liked the way you smiled just then."

The blush grew brighter as she sat down and suggestively crossed her black net encased legs beside him and turned to rest one firm thigh against Blair's.

'Man, oh man.'

He inhaled deeply to regain some control of his thoughts and smelled the surprisingly delicate scent of her perfume. Jungle flowers and rain water.
God, she smelled good.

"Ah, what can I help you with, Miss..." Blair repositioned his chair slightly to the right, moving ever so slightly away from the warm pressure on his thigh. He was finding it hard to concentrate on the conversation at hand.

"Miss! That's so much nicer than what the desk officer said." She extended her right hand and Blair quickly captured it in his own. The handshake was soft but firm. Her touch lasted a little longer than needed and Blair didn't resist.

"I really need to talk with Detective Ellison. He knows the situation. He knows how Brandon can be. I really think I should talk with him. Can you call him or page him or something. I really don't want to go home until I see him. He understands the way it is. "

"Uh, no. Really if I could I would but he can't be reached for a couple of hours yet. Listen. Can I get you a cup of coffee or tea maybe, and you can wait right here with me. I've got some work I can do then later I'll try and call him. OK?"

The suggestive manner and husky voice were all but gone as an edge of anxiety made its way into her speech. She looked around the bullpen and suddenly stood.

Blair stood up and reached out a hand to stop her.

"Thanks. You're nice and you're cute, but I can't be seen hanging out at a police station for hours, you know? Stoolies, gossip..bad for business. Bad for me. .... I gotta go."

Distress was written in her every move. The change in her demeanor striking.

Blair touched her arm lightly. "Wait a minute. I 'm pretty caught up here. Let me take you out for a cup of coffee. OK? There's a coffee shop not 4 blocks from here that has great apple pie. I could use a break. How about it? Then you can tell me about your situation and Jim and I can help you when he's free. What do you say? I'm a good listener."

She hesitated briefly, then nodded her head quickly.

"OK. If I can't be safe with a cop who can I be safe with?"

"I'm not a cop. I'm Jim's partner but I'm an observer, not a cop."

" No gun, no badge, no self-defense training?"

"What for when I've got the best detective in the city for a partner?" Blair threw a dazzling smile at her.

She watched as Blair shut down the computer and gathered papers and books into a leather backpack. Realizing he would talk to Jim later, there was no need to leave a note. A quick glance around told him most of Major Crimes' detectives were out on cases or following up with other departments. With no one he needed to say good night to, Blair escorted the redhead out of the bullpen.

--------------------------------------

Blair smiled at the waitress as she set down their coffee and two pieces of apple pie. His guest grabbed her fork took a big bite, savoring the spicy fruit and crusty pastry. The ride over in the Volvo had been quick and uneventful. Blair hoped she would be more willing to talk away from the station and with a warm cup of coffee in her hand. So far, he knew nothing more than he did after the first five minutes of meeting her.

Blair looked at her expectantly and raised his eyebrows.

"OK, I guess by now you want some kind of explanation, huh?"

"It would be nice. I know you're in trouble and I really want to help. I know Jim will want to help, too. But I gotta know what the problem is first."

She licked her red colored lips and frowned. " It's Brandon, my brother. He's into something heavy. Something that going to get him hurt if he's not careful. You have to understand. Brandon's not an angel but this is way too heavy for him. He's got these new friends. Creepy friends. Always giving me long looks and silent stares. I mean I'm used to men looking at me but these two guys really creep me out, you know."

She finished off the last of her pie and took a swallow of coffee. Blair let her continue at her own pace, reluctant to interrupt the flow of words now that they were started.

"Anyway, last night I overheard a phone conversation of Brandon's. I think they were talking about selling illegal videos. About people being hurt. I really didn't get all of it. But that's what it sounded like. I tried to talk to Brandon, but he just brushed me off, told me I misunderstood. That I was reading things into the conversation that weren't there just because I don't like his friends. Maybe he's telling the truth but I don't think so."

She twisted her coffee cup nervously and gave Blair a small smile.

Blair smiled at her and reached for his own cup. "So what is it you think Jim can do for you? How can we help? You said Jim understood the situation. Does he know Brandon? I'm kinda confused."

"You see Detective Ellison arrested Brandon a couple of years ago. When he was working Vice. Brandon was providing muscle for Marty White's bookie operation. Roughing up a few deadbeats when they didn't pay up. He never permanently hurt anyone. Brandon wouldn't do that. Most guys would take one look at him and come up with the cash real quick, he's really just a sweetheart. So he didn't have to be too rough usually. But one guy went to the cops and fingered him. Detective Ellison was the one to arrest him. But he understood about Brandon. He knew it wasn't his fault. That Brandon is just easily lead sometimes. That's why I'm worried about these guys. I don't want him in trouble again."

Blair was still confused by the end of her statement.

"What is that Jim understands about Brandon? Did the charges stick? Did your brother go to jail?"

"They say Brandon has the smarts and abilities of a five year old even though he's older than me. He's built like a Mac truck and is as strong as an ox, but he wouldn't really hurt anyone, not too bad anyway. Ellison figured out that he was different. He scared the crap out of Brandon when he arrested him. Brandon was crying and saying he was sorry. Detective Ellison took it real easy on him even when the other cops there tried to be tough guys with my brother. Cause he's so big. He got probation. 6months.But it's hard for him to get work like regular people. So he does little things for people. "

She took another drink of coffee and looked up a Blair.

" I want to ask Ellison to talk to him. Scare him again if he has to. So he'll stop what ever it is he's doing with these guys. I've tried talking to him. I've tried yelling at him. But it's not working. I thought maybe this would work. I don't have anything to lose by asking, right? I thought maybe he would help this time too. BEFORE Brandon got arrested."

Blair took a deep breath and finished his coffee. This didn't seem so bad. Maybe he could help. He was good at talking with people about their problems. Helping to sort out the decisions. He knew he could be more sensitive with Brandon than Jim. A five-year-old couldn't be too hard to deal even if he was a full-grown man.

"Hey, how about I take you home and you can introduce me to your brother. My field of study is anthropology. I'm a people person. I deal with students at the university all the time. Counseling them and helping them sort out their problems. Maybe I can help your brother. Maybe you've just misunderstood the facts. Jim is going to be a couple of hours yet and then he might not want to talk tonight. I'm here and I'm available. What do you say? You want to try a substitute pitcher?"

Concern and his eagerness to help were written clearly on the young observer's face. His sincerity was hard to turn down.

With a soft sigh and a half smile, she shook her head.

" I'm sorry, doll face, I just don't see you scaring anyone. Especially my brother. I'll just have to wait for Detective Ellison. Would you tell him I came by? Ask him to call me? Soon? I need to take care of this fast, before Brandon gets into more trouble."

Both parties stood to leave.

"Wait a minute. Are you sure I can't help?" A firm negative shake of her head ended his appeal.

"OK. If I can't help, at least let me drive you home."

"You don't have to do that. Don't you have to get back to the station? Won't someone wonder where you are?" A soft brush of her fingertip ghosted over Blair's left cheek to match the now soft and husky voice.

The blush on his cheeks threatened to reach his ear tips again.

"No, I'm good. I can finish the paper work tomorrow and my roommate is going to be late tonight. I've got time. I know what's like to live on a budget. Cab fare and bus fares don't always get figured in. I would be honored if you would let me drive you home."

Seductive smile met shy smile.

"How can a girl resist. Better yet, why would I want to."

As Blair escorted her to his car, the thought that he still didn't know her name flirted across his slightly glazed mind and hid in a quiet corner.

-----------------------------------

It took about 15 minutes for Blair and his new female companion to reach her neighborhood. Not one of the better neighborhoods of Cascade, but Blair expected nothing different after their conversation at the coffee shop.

He parked the Volvo and started to open the car door. A gentle hand touch his right elbow and stopped him.

"You don't have to get out. I can walk to my door my self. I do it all the time, doll face." A small smirk played across her lips. "You may have noticed I'm a big girl, all grown up."

Blair continued moving out of the car. "All the more reason to walk you to your door." He walked around, opened the passenger side door and helped her out of the car.

They walked through the piles of discarded papers and garbage on the sidewalk
and entered the building.

"My apartment is right here in the back. First floor so it's easy for groceries and things. It's got its own back entrance too. Not to bad for the rent, but nothing fancy."

They came to a stop outside of a shabby, splintered door with the number 12 painted on it. They turned to each other and she once again smiled seductively and touched Blair's hair, capturing a stray strand to tuck behind his ear.

"Since you made it all the way to my door, would you like to come in? Have a cup of tea? Talk awhile. I kinda liked that smile you gave me back at the station. Do you think we could find that smile again?"

The scent of her perfume again filled Blair's personal space and she leaned lightly against his chest. Green eyes held his and he watch as she moistened her lips. Blair remained silent, caught up in the display before him.

"You don't have to. I just wanted to say thank you for the ride and listening and things. You probably need to get home." She pulled back and gave him a small sad smile when he failed to answer. "I understand."

Blair hurried to correct her assumption reaching out to touch her shoulder. "No really. I'd love to come in. For a couple of minutes. I've got time. Please, I didn't mean to be rude. I was just thinking about my other plans for the evening. I've got time. Sure."

Keys appeared and the door was opened. Blair followed her into the apartment as she closed and locked the door behind them. Blair wandered into the area containing an ancient couch and coffee table as the owner turned on a dim light.

"I'm sorry for the way the place looks, but you really won't be seeing much of it. Not for long anyway." The hard edge to her voice caused Blair to end his tour of the dingy room and face back to meet her head on. The gun in her hand stopped all movement what so ever. With a startled jerk of his body, he slowly raised his hands to shoulder height, surprise and discomfort showing on his face.

"Whoa! What is going on here? What do you want? You don't need that gun, believe me. I am not a threat to you here. Just put it down, OK?" Blair nervously licked his lips and backed up until the back of his legs hit the low table behind him.

She shook her head and grimaced slightly. Gone were any indications of seduction or concern for his well being. The eyes that stared at him now were flat and cold.

"You just don't get it do you doll face. I'm the threat in this room. This gun and me. You want to know what I do to afford this fleabag of an apartment and these lovely clothes? I'll tell you. I hunt men. Young men. Pretty men. Good-looking men. The younger and more gullible the better. Young men who then find themselves starring in their own video and photo shoot sessions. There they get to know a couple of big burly he-men who show them what kinda lovin' a real man can give, if you know what I mean, doll face. All on tape of course."

Panic raced across Blair's face. His breathing became more rapid and his thoughts turned to Jim. 'He has no idea where I am or who I'm with. Maybe somebody noticed me leaving with her at the bullpen or the coffee shop. What does it matter, Jim isn't due back for at least an hour yet. Longer until he realizes I'm gone. SHIT!'

A dry laugh pulled his thoughts back to the room and the gun pointed at his chest.

"Don't worry honey, in a few minutes you'll have enough drugs in your system you'll barely notice you're the main event. If you manage to struggle, well, they like that too."

"You can't. Think about what you're doing. I'm a police observer, partnered with a cop.!! They'll find you. You won't get a way with this." Blair's throat was raw with rapid breaths and his eyes searched for something to use as a weapon. There was nothing on the tables or on the walls. His thought became more frantic.

"No one knows your here. Even I didn't plan on this. You just got in the way. You should have said goodbye at the station. Or the coffee shop. Or the front door. But you were oh so persistent. The knight in shining armor. Well, you persistence has a price. And you just paid it."

As she spoke her last sentence, the trigger hammered home. Blair flew back across the coffee table to land on his back on the floor in front of the sofa. He looked down to see the tail end of a brightly colored dart hanging out of his left chest.

His attacker continued to speak. This time her voice was soft and laced with sadness. "And when they're done with you, some bum will find your lifeless body in a dumpster in a filthy alley on the other side of town."

Blair stared at her, uncertain if he understood her words. Fear ruled his entire world. He stared uncomprehendingly at the dart in his chest and tried to slow his out of control breathing.

"I think it's time my partner took over the rest of this speech, doll face. He's been waiting in the bedroom just for you." She called back over her shoulder. "Ironman, it's showtime."

Blair's eyes were immediately draw to the shadows surrounding the bedroom door. It popped open and a large male figure erupted from the room and raced toward Blair. Blair scrabbled back against the couch in an attempt to put more distance between them, vaguely surprised his body was still responding to his commands. 'How long does it take this drug to work? '

The looming figure dropped down in front of him and deftly pulled the dart from his chest. A large hand grasped his forearm and a familiar voice caressed his ear. "Take it easy Chief. Just slow down. Concentrate. Breathe. You're fine. There aren't any drugs on the tip. You're not drugged. You're safe. No body's gonna hurt you. Slow down."

Blair grabbed on to the hand on his arm and looked up at his partner. Fear slowly faded from his eyes, but confusion remained. "J-jjim? Are you here man? "

"Yeah I'm here, Chief." Jim helped Blair regain his feet and straightened his clothing.

Blair's eyes fell on the other occupant in the room. The gun was gone and its owner stood causally in the middle of the room watching the two men with concerned eyes.

"Jim, she shot me with that dart and said she was going to drug me! Who is she? Why are you here? What that hell is going on?" Agitation replaced fear and joined confusion on Blair's face. Jim turned to the woman and gestured towards her.

"Blair Sandburg meet Julie Brooks. Detective Julie Brooks, Vice and Narcotics. Julie, my easily influence young partner, Blair. " A hard look covered Jim's face as the tension in the room receded. Blair had his breathing under control and confusion won out for control of his emotions. With Blair's threatened panic attack aborted, anger slowly took over Jim.

Jim turned a hard stare on Blair. "So how easy was it Julie?" Blair pulled his gaze from the small puncture wound on his chest to meet stern blue eyes.

The redhead turned to Jim and rested a palm on his forearm. A frown and a sigh started the conversation. " Too easy I'm afraid. When you came to me with this little charade I thought you were going over the top, but now I wonder if it was enough. I gave him three separate chances to pull back and go home safe and each time he let them pass on by. At the station he should never have left with a stranger without a note or telling someone, since his partner was gone. At the coffee shop I tried to refuse a ride from him but he insisted on driving to a bad part of town with a complete stranger, one he didn't even know the name of I might add. And at my door. He should never have come in. He had no idea what waited for him in here." She slapped Jim hard on the chest.

"You've got your hands full there Ironman." She pulled the spent dart from his hand.

Her expression softened as she approached Blair. His expression still somewhat dazed over all the events playing out in the room. She lightly stroked his right cheek and spun the colored dart in her right hand.

" The men I'm tracking down right now do these things for real, blues eyes. No games, no second chances. They play for keeps. Young men like you disappear everyday. Think about it. I'd hate to find your body in one of their back room on my next raid." She dropped her hand and gestured toward Jim.

"There is a reason there aren't many knights in shining amour left, blue eyes. Remember that the next time you trust a fair damsel in distress. The dragons these days take children from their beds and steal your mind and soul. Their bite is much harder then it used to be. Take care and remember today. It just might help you have some more tomorrows."

Blair watched her walk to the door of the apartment with tear filled eyes. His thoughts jumbled and disorganized. He watched her turn to his partner with her hand on the door knob.

"This is just between the three of us, Ironman. Consider us even. " She turned to leave than tipped her head toward Blair." Hey Ironman", a soft call reached out. Jim's head turned to face her.

"These guys we're looking to take down? They would pay big money for him." Her quiet declaration was more chilling than the entire evening had been. Blair swallowed convulsively and fought the feeling of rising nausea. Jim's curt nod and tight jaw his only answer.

"He's a sweet kid. Remember, he can only learn from this if he lives, Ironman." The door closed tightly. Two silent figures were alone.

"You set me up, man. I don't believe you! How could you treat me like that! I'm not a child." Deep calming breaths filled the air. "What was this? Some kind of
lesson? A way to teach me to be more careful? To suspect every person I meet as some sort of serial killer or kidnapper? Come on Jim, get real here! Not everyone I meet wants to hurt me! I can't spend my life being afraid of the world! This isn't fair! You manipulated every thing! I didn't have a chance here!" Blair's voice rose with each new accusation and he began to shake with tears and anger.

Jim took hold of Blair by the arms and delivered a sharp shake. " Were you listening at all to what went on here, Chief? Did you hear anything Julie said? If this had been real you would been long gone. No trace, no note, no leads. Not ones that would come in time to have saved your life. Do you even have the faintest idea how that would affect me? Naomi? Simon? All our friends and family? How many times have we gone over this? How many times do we HAVE to go over this? When will you start thinking about your own safety and wellbeing? When will you stop blindly trusting people? You've promised and promised, and I've lectured until I'm blue. Do you know the nightmares I have about losing you? Do you even care?"

Blair pulled out of Jim's reach. "That not fair! It doesn't give you the right! You're NOT my father! "Tears threatened to fall and Blair turned away angrily.

Jim immediately reached out grasped the struggling young man, turning him back to face the older man. "I think a little reminder of my flip and hold technique is needed here." Blair rapidly found himself tucked under an immobilizing left arm. Several sharp hard and heavy swats landed on his unprotected backside. The smacks continued until Jim was sure his wayward charge would have a constant reminder of things to come during the ride home.

Muffled gasps of pain and surprise escaped his squirming captive.

"We've had that conversation before, Junior. It didn't work before as an excuse to get out trouble and it's not going to work now. You're not going to escape the consequences of your actions here tonight. You know exactly what you can expect when we get back to the loft. I may not be your biological father but I couldn't love you more if I was. And THAT gives me all the right I need. "

Jim released his squirming captive, unmoved by the wide puppy dog eyes and tear-stained cheeks. Small hands hastily wiped at eyes and dried off on flannel cuffs.

"Now, let's finish this discussion at home. Every drug addict and scumbag for a city block doesn't need the entertainment tonight. Don't think for one minute that this discussion is over. You're not off the hook for this. Let's go. Can you drive all right?"

"Man I'm NOT a child. I can drive just fine." Blair pulled away, defiance and outrage plainly written in his every movement. He stormed out to his car and pulled into traffic.
.
Running both hands over his face, Jim let out a deep sigh. "I guess I DO have my hands full at that." Jim tracked the old Volvo to end of the street. "Wouldn't have it any other way, Junior."

Even Sentinel hearing would have been needed to hear the soft declaration of love.
.


End