TITLE: Barter

AUTHOR: Loke

FANDOM: The Sentinel

RATING: NC-17

SUMMARY: A bargain made, and a further proposal.

FEEDBACK: Yes, but be kind; I don't react well to negative comments.

ARCHIVE: Yes, please

DISCLAIMER: They are Peja's . . . who stole them out from under negligent noses. (The originals belong to Pet Fly Productions.)

PEJA'S NOTE: This is an AU . . . hey when do I do anything else. Someone who knows who they are accused me of making Blair a gothic romance heroine. I thought I'd live up to it.

LOKE'S NOTE: (a reiteration of the above) This is what I get for facetious threatening!! Thanks to Peja for suggesting I do my own continuation of her story.

 

**********
Barter

Part 1 by PEJA
finished by Loke
*********

Blair Sandburg crept through the crowds milling in the marketplace with only one goal in mind. He was hungery. And he was going to remedy the situation with help frm one of the many arrogant nobles out for a day of gaming.

Blue eyes cast around the delicate high-steppers, searching for the one among the cattle that would feed him, no matter how unknowingly.

A cliche of cooing light skirts and male fawners milled around one great hulking crat. Blair's narrowed gaze ran over the skin tight outer jacket, the gold trimmed vest and the pants that looked like he'd been poured into them. Well heeled and full of himself for sure.

Blair smiled. That one would do nicely. Very nicely indeed.

He crept on cat's feet toward his prey, keeping well to the fringes of sauntering shoppers and cauterwaling shopkeepers. The pedestrians cut him the path he desired and soon he was in the thick of the great dunderhead's adoring hangers-on.

Keeping a sharp eye on the lazy-eyed giant, Blair edged closer. Ever closer. Until he found the blindspot he'd chosen. The big guy cut him a slow, half-masted glance then turned back to answer one of his fawners in a voice that sent silky warning tingles through Blair's entire body.

Scowling darkly, Blair racked back his curls and breathed a slow breath. Damn, now his hands were trembling. What was it about this guy to be setting off all his protective alarms.

Another calming breath lost the shake in his hands and he staggered.

The trip looked real enough. he landed heavily against the big guy who steadied him with one hand curled around each arm.

"Had too much bitters, cub?" The guy demanded, swallowing Blair's delicate hand in one of his. Along with the wallet he had lifted.

Blue eyes crashed into Blair's frightened gaze. "Mine, I think?"

Blair blanched, swallowing hard. "A...mistake, sir."

The devil's own smile lifted one corner of the big man's harsh lips. "A very grave mistake, cub."

"Lord Ellison, be ye all right?" A woman caterwauled.

Blair felt his grave open up under his feet. "Lord...Ellison?"

The big man tipped a single nod. "Guilty," the smile lingered. "As are you."

"Oh, Jesus." Blair stared helplessly up into the eyes of the current master of The Hellfire Club. "Milord....."

Ellison's grasp on his arm tightened as he turned to his adoring groupies. "I would speak with this young one alone."

With that he turned and strode through the parting crowd, with Blair in his wake. Running, stumbling in his haste to keep in step, Blair didn't have time to resist. Didn't have time to think when Ellison bundled him into a dark alley and thrust him none to gently against the bricks.

Dark blue eyes plunged deeply into Blair. "Give me what belongs to me."

Blair didn't even consider arguing. This man was bad news. All the street folk knew to steer clear of this demon. Those who had fallen into his clutches very rarely were ever heard from again.

He held out the packet with shaking hands. "Forgive me, Lord. I didn't know..."

"Whose pocket you were digging through? No, I expect not." He smiled coldly. "Now, what am I to do with you?"

Blair cast a pleading glance up. "Let me go?"

Black laughter lifted. "You are a brassy chit. You lift my blunt and then expect me to let you go without any....punishment."

Blair's glance cast around for escape, and found none. Resigned, he closed his eyes and nodded. "Kill me if you must. God knows, when Naomi finds out what I've done..."

"Naomi..?" Ellison titlted his head looking down his long arrogant nose at the matted curls. "You know the light skirt?"

"She ain't no light skirt," Blair bristled. "Naomi is my mum."

Something dangerous glinted in the darkening blue gaze. "Now that puts a new light on the situation." His hard stare swept the shaking boy. "What name do you answer to...most frequently."

Expecting death to claim him soon, Blair told him softly.

"Blair, is it? Youre mother always had a flair." He tipped Blair's chin up and smiled a cozy smile. "A kiss, boy."

Blair gaped back at him. "A kiss?"

"That is your punishment. You will give me a kiss." Ellison traced Blair's lips with the pad of his thumb. "Yes, that will do me up quite well...for now."

"But....But...You're a...." Blair waved his hand up Ellison's length. "...A...a..."

"A Man?"

Blair nodded. "Yeah." He swallowed noisily. "And I'm a....a..."

"A man?"

"Well, yeah...."

"Quite. I don't see a problem with that, do you?" Blair stood still, disbelief widening his eyes. "Give me my kiss, man-boy."

A hand wrapped around Blair's throat, forcing his head up. He clawed at the uncomfortable pressure for a moment, then managed a croaking. "Okay.."

Lord Ellison eased his grip on Blair's throat, but not the one he had on the youth's arm.

Blair lifted his chin, offering his thin pressed lips to the creature of the night and waited. And waited.

When the kiss never came he opened his eyes, his glance full of questons.

The demon Lord simply smiled softly. "I said you give me a kiss."

"Mi..lord...?"

"You stole my blunt, boy. You make payment with your lips. Or your neck."

Blair shuddered, knowing full well what the bigman would do to him if he backed down. What would one kiss matter?

He leaned up the big man's body. A small hand curled around the arrogant man's neck and Blair closed the distance, pressing his cold lips to warm ones for one brief instant before pulling back.

Ellison's arms enveloped him before he could escape, and he deepened the kiss.

Blair struggled a moment, until the warmth of the man seeped into his forever cold bones and he pressed closer for just one beat more of that blessed comfort.

Humming deep in his throat, Ellison gatheed the smaller man closer. His sweet tongue pressed for entrance and Blair melted into the kiss, opening his mouth. He whimpered softly as Ellison swept inside, running his tongue over the ridges of Blair's mouth, the soft insdie cheeks, leaving no surface untasted. and filling the smaller man with his own unique flavor.

Blair lost track of time as the bigger man raped his mouth. His trembling hands clung to the wide shoulders, standing only because the aristocrat held him upright.

And than it was over.

Ellison wiped a thumb over Blair's passion bruised lips, grinning. "You will do nicely." He said softly and stuffed several bills into Blair's hand. "Now go."

Blair didn't need to be told twice. He scampered away, clutching the money he'd failed to steal, but had earned instead.

Ellison followed at a slower pace. At the head of the alley he tipped a nod to two dark skinned men waiting across the way.

Blair was to caught up in processing what had just happened to notice the men trailing him home.

Part 2
by
Loke

Blair stopped to buy food for himself and his mother on the way. He pushed open the door with a laden arm and called, "Mum? Are you home? I brought food."

"So I see," his mother replied, "and how many purses did you lift to be able to afford so much?"

"Not a one, as God is my witness."

Naomi gave him a look.

"All right -- I lifted a purse from the wrong person, but it came out well enough. After a small forfeit, he let me go on my way, and even gave me some money for my trouble."

"Who was it, and what sort of forfeit did you have to give him?"

Blair squirmed under her gaze, unwilling to admit what he'd done, and to whom. "It isn't important -- it's over and done with, and I'll be more careful next time."

"You'd best hope he forgets you quickly. Catching the eye of the upper classes usually leads to nothing but misery for low-born folk like us." Having said that, Naomi let the matter drop, and they ate and went to bed that night with full bellies for once.

They might not have slept so well had they known their home had been marked by the two dark-skinned servants of Lord James Ellison.

The pair returned to their master after following Blair to the miserable hovel he and his mother called home. Ellison's townhouse was across town and a far cry from that place. It was only slightly less ostentatious than a royal palace; the Ellison's were "old money", the family dating back to the Crusades. With that much wealth and prestige Lord Ellison could get away nearly anything -- and rumor had it he did. It was whispered orgies and Black Masses were regularly preformed at both the townhouse and his country estate. It was also said he was as fond of boys as he was of women, and would bed either if one took his fancy -- and wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

"Go back in the morning," Lord James told the pair, "and hire the woman for my townhouse. Hire her son for my country estate. Make their wages generous, do what you must -- just have the boy at my estate by the weekend."

****************

Although mother and son were at first suspicious at being separated, the wages did much to convince them. So they packed up what few belongings they had and went to their separate new homes.

Lord Ellison's majordomo took one look at Blair's pretty face and sorry clothing and ordered him to the baths. After being thoroughly scrubbed and measured, he was told to wait in a nearby room while proper clothing was located.

A servant came in a few minutes later, a bundle of clothing in his hands. "Here -- put these on. They'll do for now, until the made-to-measure ones are ready."

"Made-to-measure?" Blair asked. "Why do I need made-to-measure clothing? What am I going to be doing here? The men who hired me said I'd learn later."

"It's part of your position," the servant explained. "You'll be told your duties by his Lordship when you're dressed. I was told to bring you to him." He gave the young man a pointed look. "His Lordship doesn't like to be kept waiting."

Blair dressed quickly, marveling at the fine linen underthings, white silk shirt, and brown light wool trousers. Knitted stockings and soft shoes completed his outfit, and he followed the servant to meet the unknown lord who'd hired him for he knew not what.

The servant came to a heavy wooden door and knocked. A voice bid them enter. Blair could tell nothing of his employer from the muffled sound save that it was male.

"Here is the young man you wanted, milord," the servant said, "the one named Blair."

"Thank you, Percival," a voice Blair recognized with more than a little trepidation said, "that will be all for now. I'll ring if I need anything else." The servant bowed and retreated, closing the door behind him.

Lord Ellison scrutinized his newest employee, looking him up and down with approval. "You clean up rather well, little thief."

"Is that why you hired me," Blair challenged, "to steal something for you?"

"Not at all," the other man replied, standing and moving closer. "If I see something I want, I can usually afford to buy it." He was now close enough to take the younger man into his arms, which he did, tangling one hand in Blair's dark curls while the other pulled him against him. James' lips claimed his once more, his tongue demanding -- and receiving -- entrance.

Blair knew he should fight, should get as far away as he could. He knew Lord Ellison wouldn't be satisfied with a mere (mere? not even *close* to mere) kiss. He pushed against the larger man's chest, and was surprised when he was released.

"Not enjoying my attentions?" the lord asked.

"I didn't expect to be hired as a catamite," Blair protested. "I'll just get my things and go."

"If you mean your clothing," Ellison replied, "I'm afraid it's too late to save them. I ordered the lot burned."

"You *burned* my *clothes*!" Blair howled indignantly. "What about my other things?"

"I had your trinkets saved and placed in your room. I knew you'd want them spared." He moved closer once more, placing an arm around the still-fuming young man. "I think we both know there's a mutual attraction here. You should let yourself feel what you feel." He pulled Blair back into an embrace. "Conventional morals don't apply to people like us."

"You mean people like you, who think they can buy their way out of trouble."

"Not think, my sweet," Ellison said, nibbling Blair's ear, "I know I can."

Blair broke his hold and stepped away. "*You* can. I cannot. Please let me go."

Lord Ellison sighed. He could easily overpower the other man and slake his lust, but that wasn't what he wanted. He would have to move slowly. "All right then -- but stay the night at least, so I can give you the clothes I'm having made to replace what I destroyed." He tugged the bellpull to call a servant. "I'll have someone show you your room and give you a tour of the house. I'll expect you for dinner this evening in the main dining room."

A few minutes later Percival appeared, and Blair followed him out.

***************

Percival first showed Blair his rooms -- a suite off the master bedroom with a door connecting the bedrooms. Blair was quick to notice -- and take inventory of -- his things. They were all there, as Lord Ellison had said.

After the tour of his rooms, the pair toured the house and grounds. During the tour Blair was introduced to a number of Lord Ellison's other guests. While most were little more than names and faces Blair would have to think about to connect later, two stood out -- Lady Carolyn, His Lordship's current mistress, and the actress Alexis Barnes, who was rumored to be making a play for that position.

"What have we here, Percival?" Lady Carolyn purred, looking at Blair.

"I think it's the little thief James caught the other day lifting his purse," Alexis -- who preferred being called Alex -- said while twirling a lock of Blair's hair around her fingers. She leaned close to his ear and asked, "What's your name, little thief?"

Percival stepped forward and separated the young man's hair from the actress' fingers. "His name is Blair, and he is *also* a guest of His Lordship."

Blair thought if the two women had been cats they'd be hissing at him, though he had no idea why. He had no intention of replacing either of them in Lord Ellison's bed.

"Will you be staying for the celebration at the end of the month?" Lady Carolyn asked.

"Uh, no," Blair replied, "only overnight." Surely *this* household didn't celebrate Lammas!

"Begging your pardon, ladies," Percival interrupted, "but we really must go. We have much to do and little time to do it." He grabbed Blair by the arm and pulled him from the room.

The two ladies looked at each other after the men had gone. "I think the young man will be staying a bit longer than he thinks, don't you?" Lady Carolyn asked.

"I don't doubt it," Alex replied. One way or the other."

Meanwhile, Blair's tour of the house and grounds continued. He was shown the stables and told he he'd be taught to ride and given a mount if he stayed. It was nearly enough to change his mind, but not quite.

At last they returned to Blair's rooms. "You just have time to change for dinner," Percival told him.

"Change? What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

"It is daywear; you can't wear it to dinner," the servant replied. "It simply isn't done." He ushered him into the bedroom and found something appropriate in the wardrobe. He moved to help Blair into the clothes.

"I can dress myself, if you don't mind," the young man said, shooing him from the room. It took longer than he'd thought -- so many ties, buttons, and buckles! -- but finally he emerged from the bedroom.

Percival looked him over straightened a few things and led him down to dinner in the main dining hall.

Blair looked at the long table and whispered to Percival, "Where am I supposed to sit?"

"Follow me," the servant replied, and led him to a place near the head of the table. Immediately to the left of the table's head -- across from Lady Carolyn. Lord Ellison sat at his right -- at the table's head -- and a very displeased Alex Barnes sat on his left.

Dinner was an absolute horror for the young man. He tried his best to copy what the others were doing, having no idea for what half the utensils in front of him were used, while fending off the increasingly barbed comments from the ladies across from him and to his left. His Lordship finally snapped a command at the both of them to mind their manners and dinner was slightly more comfortable after that.

A minstrel played during dinner, and took requests after, singing what ever was asked. Blair relaxed somewhat, due to both the wine and the fact he wasn't being sniped at by the ladies. His head began to nod, and Lord Ellison asked him if he'd like to turn in for the night. He nodded, and was too tired and wooly-headed to notice he was getting as he left the hall in His Lordship's company.

He stumbled as he went up the stairs and was deftly caught by his companion. Strong arms steadied him as he made his way to his rooms. Once inside, he tried to undress by himself, but his fingers refused to cooperate. Another set unfastened his clothing and took it away, leaving him in just his underthings. He felt strong arms lift him up and set him in the bed, covering him gently.

He sleepily noted the presence of another in the room, and was only slightly surprised to find the other joining him in bed and embracing him tightly. It wasn't until he was being kissed insistently he realized Lord Ellison was in bed with him.

*************

When Blair realized who was in his bed, he struggled against the arms holding him and the lips pressed to his own.

"Don't fight me, sweet Blair," James whispered, "you know you want this as much as I." Blair could feel the other man's erection through the layers of both their underclothes.

"I do not!" said Blair, denying his own reaction. "Go and lie with Lady Carolyn, or if she pleases you no more, then with Alex Barnes!"

"Neither of them is so sweet as you," James replied, continuing to press his suit.

Blair managed to free himself, jump out of the bed and dash through the nearest door. He locked it behind him before realizing he'd gone the wrong way, and was now in Lord Ellison's bedroom. He turned to find Lady Carolyn eyeing him from the room's other doorway.

"Well, isn't this interesting?" she said, closing the door she'd come through and locking it.

By this time Lord James was pounding on the door behind him and demanding entrance.

Blair realized there was only one way out, and hoped he'd time it right and move quickly enough.

His nimble fingers reached behind him and undid the lock as he made an apology to Lady Carolyn. She continued toward him as if she hadn't heard.

He flung open the door just before she reached him, and Lord Ellison charged through, barreling into her and knocking them both down. Blair slipped quickly out of one bedroom, into the next, and kept going. He pelted down the hallway to the back stairs and up into the servants' quarters.

Blair knocked on the nearest door, which fortunately was Percival's. "Hide me! Quick!" he pleaded.

"And lose my position?" the servant told him. "Not on your life, or mine!" He looked behind Blair. "Your Lordship!"

Blair turned, knowing what he would find. Lord Ellison stood at the entrance to the servants' quarters. He had thrown on a robe before beginning his pursuit. He also held another robe for Blair and handed it to him.

"Come back to your rooms," he said. "You won't be bothered again. You have my word on it."

Seeing he had little choice and no allies, Blair acquiesced and returned to his rooms, though he slept very little and that badly. He dreamed of black-robed sorcerers chanting unholy rites, black candles that gave off odd odors, and naked young bodies tied to bloody altars. He also dreamed of being held in strong arms and doing things priests called abomination.

He was awakened the next morning by Percival bringing in wash water. He washed, shaved -- he'd always had a heavy beard, and had shaved daily since his voice deepened -- and donned clean clothing. He stepped into the outer room and discovered breakfast for two laid out -- and Lord Ellison waiting for him to sit down.

"I'm sorry for last night," the lord said. "It was the result of too much wine. Please, join me -- I promise not to attack you again."

Blair sat -- gingerly -- and filled a plate with the fruit, cheese, and cold ham provided while Lord Ellison poured him tea. He ate in silence, listening to the lord talking until his voice faded away. Blair looked up at his host -- and saw the man had gone into some sort of trance.

"My lord?" he asked, wondering if he should get a servant. "My lord!" More forcefully this time. Not knowing what else to do, he moved around the table and shook Lord Ellison's arm. "My lord, please!"

Lord Ellison blinked, shook himself and turned to his guest. "Now you know my great secret. You saw my curse. No doctor can cure it, no priest can abate it, so now I turn to the dark arts to seek relief. I'm sorry -- you will have to remain now until I'm free of it."

"You mean the 'celebration' at the end of the month?" Blair asked. "Surely there must be some other way to control these fits. Send for my mother -- she knows some of the ancient Gypsy lore, and some of the Old Magic -- perhaps she can help you."

"If I bring her here, she will share your fate -- to never leave these grounds until I'm cured," Lord Ellison warned.

"And if she knows a cure?"

"I'll give her whatever she wishes, including my hand in marriage."

***************

Lord Ellison left his guest in his rooms and went downstairs to his study. He summoned the two dark-skinned servants who'd located Blair and his mother and hired them. He ordered them to go to his townhouse and fetch Naomi out to his country estate. They bowed and left to carry out his orders.

Meanwhile, Blair was having the clothes his host had ordered made for him fitted to him by His Lordship's tailor. He was made to stand on a footstool while the tailor flitted around him adjusting and pinning the material. The outfits were cut to the latest fashion and made of the finest silks, satins, brocades, and velvets. The shirts were trimmed with lace a handspan wide, and the other trims were of equal quality.

After the tailor had finished a cobbler came in with footwear for Blair --low indoor boots made of softest kidskin, walking boots and riding boots made of sturdy leather with thick soles and fit for a prince. They felt wonderful as Blair walked around his rooms; he'd never had a pair of shoes that actually *fit* before! He thanked the cobbler as profusely as he had the tailor before him.

Lord Ellison came in as Blair was admiring his new finery, and did some admiring himself. The tailor had done an excellent job, both in fit and selection of fabric and color. Blair looked like a young prince, and it was all the lord could do to keep himself from crushing the young man in his arms and kissing him half-senseless. He cleared his throat, and felt a touch of sadness at the fear in his guest's eyes as he whirled to see him there.

"I've sent for your mother," Lord Ellison said. "She should be arriving by this afternoon." Blair's answering smile made him regret his promise -- it lit up the whole room. He wished the young man would smile at him like that.

"Thank you, milord," he replied. "I'm sure she'll know of something which can be done for you."

They lunched casually on bowls of stew sprinkled with shredded cheese and crusty bread and awaited the arrival of Naomi. When she arrived she was escorted to Blair's rooms, where the two men waited.

Blair hugged his mother. "It's wonderful to see you again! This is Lord James Ellison -- he needs help, and I hope you can provide it. Lord Ellison, my mother Naomi."

"What sort of help could I possibly provide to a powerful lord like him?" Naomi asked.

"The Old lore," Blair said. "Lord Ellison has a condition neither the doctors nor the priests can fix."

"And you think the old ways might have an answer?"

"I'm hoping they do, yes."

"All right then," she said, "tell me all of the symptoms -- leave out nothing, no matter how insignificant you think it is."

"It started shortly after I was thrown from my horse while fox hunting," Lord Ellison said. "No one saw what happened because I was riding ahead of the rest. I rolled down a ravine and caught my leg in some rocks, breaking it. I lay there for several days out of my head from the pain, and searchers rode past the ravine without seeing me because I was screened by thick brush. I was nearly dead from thirst and exposure by the time I was located and returned to the house."

"What were the first signs?" asked Naomi.

"I heard voices I couldn't possibly hear -- I'd be in the stables and hear the maids chattering as they cleaned the upstairs rooms, or the overseers chiding the field hands. I'd see things too far away for any man to normally see, or too small to be seen by the keenest eyes. Spices in food would taste far too strong -- there are days when I can't eat anything but the blandest of foods. Smells sometimes are so strong they choke me. There are even days when I must confine myself to my rooms because even the softest cloth feels like rough stone rubbing against my skin."

"You feel things with greater ability?" Naomi prompted.

"Yes, but there are other things as well," the lord said. "I have headaches so fierce I've thought about blowing my brains out just to make the pain stop, and there are periods where I sit and stare at nothing for minutes or hours and no one can rouse me. I had one this morning while having breakfast with your son."

"Did you come out of it as you came out of previous fits?"

No -- your son shook my arm and I snapped right out of it. That's never happened before."

"I think there is something which can be done to ease your symptoms and keep you from having fits," Naomi said, "but I am not the one who can do it."

"Then who?" Lord Ellison asked in frustration. "If you can't help --" He looked at her with helpless eyes.

"My son," she replied.

"Me?" asked Blair. "Why me?"

"Because you drew Lord Ellison from his fit when no other has been able," his mother said. "There is an old legend of Guardians chosen by the Old Gods. Those so chosen were gifted with abilities beyond normal men -- their senses were made greater so they might better do their work. The senses would sometimes imperil the ones who had them, and the Old Gods gave them helpers, called Guides, to aid them when this occurred. Sometimes a Guardian would focus so intently on a single sense he would go into a trance, and only his Guide could pull him out. You are a Guardian, milord, and Blair is your Guide."

"But I don't know how --" Blair began, only to be silenced by a look from his mother.

"You will learn," she told him.

"And just how long will it take him to learn?" Lord Ellison asked.

"Not long, if he applies himself," Naomi said. "The two of you will have to work together, like this." She went on to demonstrate how Blair should use his voice to guide Lord Ellison when one of his senses when out of control, using an oil lamp as an analogy. "When one of your senses flares up, think of turning it down, as you would turn down the wick on a lamp to lower a flame."

The three of them spent the afternoon practicing raising and lowering the lord's senses -- or rather, the two men practiced while Naomi supervised. It was difficult at first, but eventually the pair got the hang of it. She noticed Blair reaching out to soothe Lord James -- he'd given them permission to use his Christian name -- as soon as he saw the pain in his eyes, without any prompting on her part. She sighed as she realized her dreams of grandchildren were not to be, or at the least unlikely.

Shortly thereafter there came a knock on the door, and Percival entered to say it was nearly dinnertime and they might want to consider changing, and was Mistress Naomi to be seated at table or was she eating with the servants?

Lord Ellison opened his mouth to answer when Naomi said eating with the servants would be fine with her and asked to be taken to the kitchen. Percival looked to his master for direction and was given a nod. He bowed and escorted Naomi to the kitchen, leaving the two men alone in Blair's rooms. The lord nodded to Blair and excused himself to change for dinner, leaving by passing through Blair's bedroom.

Left alone to change, Blair contemplated the day's events. It would seem his destiny was tied to Lord Ellison's -- Lord James, he mentally corrected himself. Did this also mean he should reconsider sharing His Lordship's bed? He'd have to think long and hard about that idea. Could he give himself to someone who had pledged himself to Darkness? Would he be drawn into the Darkness as well, if he became James' lover? Or could he draw his Guardian back to the Light, even if it wasn't Christendom?

His Lordship was likewise contemplating the changes the day had brought as he changed for dinner. He'd been drawn to Blair from the first -- was that part of this Guardian/Guide relationship? Could Blair actually help him control his runaway senses? Would having him as a lover make him more effective as a Guide, or less? If Blair was the answer to his curse, could he free himself from the path he'd set himself on? Could he turn away from the Darkness he had embraced when he thought there was no hope, that even God had turned away from him? He found the thought of drawing Blair away from the Light intolerable, and resolved to do whatever he must to prevent it.

He stepped into the Hallway and was greeted with the sight of Blair dressed as a young lordling.

"May I escort you down to dinner?" he asked

************

All eyes were on the pair as Lord Ellison escorted Blair into the dining hall and led him to his chair. Notable by their absence were Lady Carolyn and Alex Barnes. An inquiry from His Lordship discovered the two women had pled illness and asked to be served in their rooms.

Dinner this night was far more relaxed, and not just for Blair. The whole table seemed less tense, and conversation burbled merrily. Lord Ellison made small talk with Blair without having to worry about the missing ladies, and was even seen to smile once or twice. There was a moment when it seemed His Lordship would throw an offending dish the length of the hall, but a touch and a few words from Blair, which sounded like "Turn it down, like a wick," appeared to calm him. The moment passed and the dinner continued without incident.

Blair was careful to eat more and drink less, and he was in far better shape at the end of the evening. After bidding his host goodnight, he made his way up the stairs and to his rooms on his own. Perhaps it was the lack of drink, or the lack of excitement, but Blair fell into a deep and undisturbed sleep soon after disrobing and climbing into bed.

Lord James was not so lucky this night. His sleep was restless, and he dreamed . . .

He stood in a forest clearing, clad in green wool and cotton. Two beings stood before him -- a woman in a pale green dress with a garland of wildflowers around her head, and a man dressed in dark brown deerskin with the deer's head and antlers worn as a headdress. "Know you who we are?" the man asked.

"I think I do," the lord replied. "You're two of the Old Gods, aren't you?"

"We are," the woman said. "We granted you the gifts you are only now learning to use, though you refused to see us since you were a child."

He had a very dim memory of standing in a clearing like this one as a very small boy and speaking to these two. They'd asked if he wanted to help others and he'd said "Yes, very much." He remembered the pair kneeling down and taking his small hands in theirs, and exchanging pledges. They pledged to watch over him and give him the gift of animal senses, and he in turn pledged to use his powers to aid others. They also warned him not to speak of them or his pledge until he was older.

A few years later he used his powers to help find a lost child, and learned why the pair had given their warning. Lord William Ellison didn't want his heir known as a freak -- he promptly called in a priest to purge his son's 'demonic' talents and forbade his son to enter the forest. He was sent away to a monastery a month later, to recover from his 'illness', to learn to scribe and cypher, and also to learn piety and humility. It was only several years later, when his brother Steven joined him there, he learned his much-loved mother had died six months after he left. Something within him died, and his senses became no stronger than a normal man's.

He then recalled a more recent memory: being thrown from his horse into a ravine, breaking his leg, and laying in pain for days, hidden by the rocks and brush. He had thought the reappearance of the pair to be nothing more than a fever dream, and had renewed his pledge simply to humor them. They'd said something else -- something he only now remembered. They'd promised him a Guide to help him, and told him he'd come into his life soon. He'd know the Guide when he arrived, without a doubt.

"Blair," he whispered.

"Yes, but now he stands in peril from those who seek to use your gifts for their own ends," the man said.

"You must keep him close as the moon turns," the woman warned, "or lose him until the Wheel brings you together once more."

"How long would that take?" Lord James asked.

"Lifetimes," the man replied.

James nodded in understanding; he must keep Blair safe until the moon began to wane after the first of the month.

The first thing he needed to do was rid himself of a pair of venomous ladies, and their assorted hangers-on.

***************

When Percival brought in his wash water the next morning, Lord Ellison told him to inform Alex Barnes he wished to see her after breakfast in his study. He'd already given Lady Carolyn a similar message before she went down to break her own fast. He washed and shaved, then knocked on the connecting door to Blair's room. When the young man opened it, he asked, "May I join you for breakfast?"

Blair agreed, letting him pass through his bedroom to reach the outer room where Percival was already setting up a meal for two. The two men made small talk over breakfast, and after His Lordship had rung for a servant to collect the empty dishes he told Blair to stay in his room for his own safety for an hour or so -- "until the house settles down," he said. Not really understanding what the lord meant but being unwilling to cross him, Blair agreed.

Lord Ellison proceeded down to the study to confront his former and would-be mistresses. He told them in no uncertain terms he was no longer interested in either of them, and they were to take their people and leave the premises post haste. He also mentioned he'd ordered their maids to pack their belongings and a carriage and baggage wagon stood ready to take them away.

"But -- but -- what of your curse?" Lady Carolyn stammered.

"I found a cure for it," he told her, "one which doesn't involve selling my soul to a demon."

"The ceremony is the only cure for your affliction," Alex warned him. "Whatever 'cure' you think you've found will prove to be only a temporary measure. When it fails, you'll be begging us to complete the rite." She turned and marched out of the room, Lady Carolyn right behind her. They and their hangers-on were gone before lunch.

He rode with them as far as the outer gates, then returned to the house and Blair.

They spent the next week constantly in each other's company, learning to control and enhance His Lordship's senses and getting to know each other. Blair discovered he liked the man behind the titles, and James found he enjoyed helping his guide improve his reading skills -- once he'd gotten over the shock of discovering the young man *could* read, a skill not often found among the low-born.

By the end of the week James decided to attempt a seduction one more, and knew just the spot for it -- in the library. He noticed Blair had a habit of reading until his neck ached from holding it in one position. One night he offered to massage it, and to his surprise the young man agreed. He massaged his neck until he relaxed, then moved down to his shoulders. He mentioned he could do a better job if Blair would remove his shirt and lie down on the table. Blair gave him an odd look but complied, removing jacket, waistcoat and shirt and lying down across the table, resting his head on a pillow taken from one of the chairs.

James massaged down and back up Blair's upper arms, then set to work on his back. He could feel the tension melting away under his hands, and the little moans of pleasure the young man was making went straight to his groin. "This would be better for you," James said, "if you turned over and let me work on your chest."

He couldn't believe it when Blair turned over and lay there, relaxed and exposed to him. He carefully massaged his chest, making no untoward moves until he was finished. Then he bent down and gently kissed him, one hand toying with a nipple.

Blair at first responded, opening his mouth to the kiss and arching his back to James' touch. Then he pulled back and pushed the lord away. "You promised me I wouldn't be bothered again!"

"You want this as much as I," James said. "You responded to my touch."

"It's an abomination," Blair replied, "the priests all say so."

James pulled him back into a rough embrace. "And what do the Old Gods say? They sent you to me. We were meant to be together."

Blair struggled in His Lordship's arms. He'd never heard anything specifically prohibiting male love in the Old Lore, but he wasn't the expert his mother was.

"There is no prohibition."

They sprang apart like surprised cats on hearing Naomi's voice. She held up a hand to forestall excuses or explanations and continued. "The bond between Guardian and Guide is such they are drawn one to the other. When I discovered what you were, milord, I suspected I would never have grandchildren. It is part of the bond, my son -- accept it and be happy."

But Blair was still uncertain. "I'll try -- but it still seems -- wrong -- somehow."

"I think this is something we should at least try," Lord James said with a hopeful heart.

Blair nodded as he dressed, and after he'd finished followed His Lordship up to his rooms.

Once they'd arrived in the master bedroom the lord took his guest in his arms. "Here we will be only James and Blair," he said, "with no titles or differences between us."

James slowly undressed the other man, kissing and fondling each bit of skin as it was revealed. He quickly shed his own clothing, and the pair spent some time exploring differences and similarities, standing at first, then lying down together on the oversized bed. Tongues, lips, and fingers quested for places which would draw forth moans of delight.

Blair started out uncertain but soon lost his inhibitions under James' expert ministrations. He tried to copy what the more experienced man was doing to the best of his ability and hoped he was doing it correctly. Judging from James' reaction -- the soft moans and leaking erection -- he was.

He couldn't be blamed for not copying everything exactly since he was being distracted by what James was doing to him. Blair's cries and movements became louder and more frantic as his partner found and stimulated all his most sensitive spots. He scarcely noticed the well-slicked fingers which teased his anus as James' mouth and tongue made love to his cock and balls. As he swallowed the younger man to the root he gently inserted a finger up inside him, and continued adding fingers and stretching him as he brought him closer to the edge of release.

When his searching fingers found Blair's prostate it was all James could do to hold on to the suddenly thrashing, howling man who was spurting his seed into his mouth. He drank it down as if it were sweet nectar, then moved up to kiss and cuddle.

A few minutes later James pulled Blair's legs up to his chest and gently pushed the head of his well-oiled cock into the younger man's stretched and lubricated opening. He watched his lover's face as he slowly filled him with his hardened flesh, pausing if he saw any sign of discomfort. When he was completely ensheathed in Blair's tight virgin channel he waited until the other man relaxed before beginning to thrust.

When James did start thrusting, he changed the angle slightly on each stroke until he hit Blair's prostate. He knew when that occurred as his lover let out cry of joy, and he continued to thrust just *there* to give the most pleasure. Pleasing Blair made a heretofore pleasant experience joyous, and James threw himself into it with abandon save for being careful not to hurt Blair.

He tried to make it last as long as possible, but eventually the breathy cries, writhing, and clutching at the sheets by his lover proved too much, and he stroked Blair to a second climax as he fired his semen into his bowels.

James let Blair's legs slide down to tangle with his own while covering his face and neck with ardent kisses. "I've never felt such bliss," he told his love. "I hope you feel as good as I do right now."

"How could I not," Blair replied, "with such a sweet and thorough lover?" He smiled up at James. "It was utter bliss. All my doubts are gone."

Neither man spoke just yet of love, for it was too soon for that.

But love was there in both men's hearts, waiting for the time to be spoken.

*********************

Back in the city, two women met with a single purpose: to regain their hold on Lord Ellison. "I cannot believe I've been replaced by a scrawny, low-born boy!" Lady Carolyn fumed. "How could he have discovered a cure for his curse? You assured me there was only one!"

"What he thinks is a cure is temporary," replied Alex Barnes coolly. "I have a plan for dealing with both problems simultaneously. There is a slightly different ceremony from the one we had planned, but I'm certain you'll enjoy this one more." She outlined her plan and the other woman laughed delightedly.

"Oh, yes," Lady Carolyn chortled, "that will do most excellently."

JBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJBJB

James could not believe his good fortune at finding Blair and becoming his lover. To think he'd almost thrown his life away because his senses were out of kilter due to the Old Gods' gift! Now because of Blair he controlled his gift and not the other way around.

He'd sent his young love down to the stables to ask about a horse and saddle for a ride this afternoon. He knew the head groom would choose a patient and steady mount for Blair since he was inexperienced, and mount him up to adjust the stirrups to fit his legs and give him his first riding lessons while keeping him in the paddock. He would have liked to have given him his first lessons himself, but he was too busy with estate affairs this morning and besides he didn't have nearly the patience his head groom did.

He had a slightly late lunch, then changed to riding gear and headed down to the stables himself for the promised afternoon ride, expecting Blair to have eaten lunch earlier and be there waiting.

"He was here this morning," the head groom told him, "and I adjusted a saddle for him and gave him a few lessons, then sent him back to the house for lunch. I haven't seen him since."

Lord Ellison frowned. It wasn't like Blair to be late for anything they'd be doing together. "Did he have any problems riding?"

"None, milord," the groom replied. "He took to the saddle like he'd been born there, and said he was looking forward to showing you how well he rode."

The lord returned to the house and asked if anyone had seen Blair eating lunch. He couldn't find anyone who had, so he went up to his room. The young man wasn't there, either. He called the servants together and started a search, to no avail. Blair was nowhere to be found on the estate. The only thing which had passed through the gates that day was a produce wagon headed to town to deliver food to Lord Ellison's townhouse. He sent off a group of riders to catch the wagon and bring back Blair if he was found, or the driver if he wasn't.

The riders returned at dusk with the driver and the news someone had apparently been smuggled out in the wagon. He turned on the hapless driver and growled, "Why? What could make you betray me like this?"

"I only wanted you to stop what you were doing with him," the driver replied. "It's not natural. You should be thanking me for ridding you of his evil influence."

"Where is he?" Lord Ellison grabbed him by the shirtfront and pulled him to within inches of his enraged countenance. "Who did you sell him to? Tell me, or I swear I'll take you down to the dungeons and torture it out of you!"

The man paled, knowing it was no idle threat. "Lady Carolyn has him. She didn't tell me where she was taking him, and I didn't ask."

"Damn the woman," His Lordship growled, releasing the driver and ordering him locked away. He had a fairly good idea of where Blair was, and why. He went down to the stables and ordered fresh horses for the group and himself. They'd have to ride quickly to be there before the ceremony began.

****************

Blair awoke to find himself naked in the proverbial damp and ill-lit cell. He wasn't surprised in the least to find one of his captors was Lady Carolyn.

"Did you truly believe you could take my place with impunity?" she asked. "You'll soon learn the error of your ways." She left before he could say anything in his own defense.

He wondered where he was, and how long it would take James to find him.

He recalled riding lessons given by the head groom, and telling him he would return after lunch with His Lordship for an afternoon ride. He was walking back to the house when he came across the produce wagon and the man struggling to load a basket on it. He bent down to help . . . and that was the last he remembered until he woke here.

His train of thought was broken by the arrival of Alex Barnes. "Are you well?" she asked.

He doubted she really cared about his state of health. "I'd be better with some clothes."

"Oh, you won't be needing clothes for what we have planned for you," she purred. "I don't see the need for modesty. You're quite a beauty unadorned -- and that's just what we need for tonight, though it would have been better if you were untouched as well."

"Better for what?" he asked, getting a feeling he really didn't want to know.

"The little ceremony we're having tonight. It's not quite the one we had planned, since you'll be playing a central role, but it will be equally effective."

"Why do I get the feeling this is an invitation I'm not going to be allowed to decline?"

"I'm afraid not. His Darkness wouldn't like it if we didn't provide him something suitably entertaining. In exchange for the ability to control Lord Ellison's curse we're offering you to slake his lust. If he's suitably pleased he'll take you back to the Abyss with him."

Blair's face went ashen and his knees gave way. Dear God, he was about to be raped and possibly carried off by a demon! Alex laughed at his discomfiture and signaled the guards to bring him to the chapel. He struggled fiercely as the guards pulled him along, trying his best to escape, but to no avail.

Blair nearly fainted from sheer fright when they arrived at the chapel. The windows were covered with black drapes, the crosses were inverted, the candles were red and black and smelled of blood, death, and other unsavory things, and the altar cloth was the color of dried blood. As the guards drew him closer and bound him to the altar he discovered the cloth *had been soaked in blood*, giving it its distinct coloring.

He'd been bound face up with his legs pulled up and spread, baring his privates to invasion. Looking around, he discovered the altar had been surrounded by figures covered in black robes, two of which were velvet and embroidered with symbols he couldn't decipher. One of the velvet robed figures began to chant, and Blair recognized Alex's voice calling upon the Dark lord to accept this sacrifice -- him -- and grant their request.

There was a sudden cold wind blowing across Blair's privates and up to his face, and he raised his head to see where it originated. A hole filled with blackness had appeared just beyond his bottom, and the totally unnatural blackness wasn't empty -- a pair of gleaming, lust-filled red eyes looked out of it.

Red-skinned hands, their fingers ending in sharp-looking talons, reached out for him as the demon stepped through the portal and stood next to the altar. Just as one would have touched Blair it was knocked aside by a sword wielded by Lord James Ellison.

At least that's what Blair had thought at first, but upon looking closer, he could see the not-so-faint overlay of antlers and a deer's skull on his beloved's form, and the voice coming from his mouth was more than even the most authoritative tone he'd heard from Lord Ellison.

"You have no right to this one," the avatar boomed, "he is under my protection."

The demon hissed from the pain of its wound and snarled, "It was offered to me by my followers as sacrifice, therefore it is mine to do with as I please."

"You dare challenge *me*? Begone, lest I lop of your head."

The demon howled and attacked. Blair could do nothing but watch as the pair fought, talons against sword and dagger, around the altar. The avatar was constrained by the need to keep himself between Blair and the demon while the demon had no such consideration.

Then he felt his bonds loosen, and he was pulled from the altar by one of His Lordship's dark skinned henchmen, and heard the man call out, "He's away!" as a cloak was wrapped around his nudity.

No longer constrained, the avatar stepped up his fighting, and soon it was evident to all who was the better fighter. The demon was driven by the avatar's superior swordwork until he was trapped against the hole from which he'd emerged. With a final enraged howl the demon extended his arms to an impossible length and snatched up both Lady Carolyn and Alex Barnes and pulled them through the hole with him. There being no one and nothing keeping it open, the hole slammed shut with a muffled *poof*.

Just as quickly the overlay of antlers disappeared from Lord Ellison, and he sheathed his sword and turned to find Blair. He crossed the room and enveloped the smaller man in fierce embrace. "Dear God," he breathed into Blair's hair, "I thought I'd lost you for lifetimes." He raised his head and looked at his henchmen. "Get these people out of here and take them to the priests. Take all the trappings from the room as well; they'll make good evidence of their activities."

As his henchmen set to work, James led Blair out into the clear air of a starry night, the full moon lighting the landscape. Seeing his love shivering in the cold, he pulled him closer and said, "I wish I had some clothes to offer you, but we nearly didn't arrive in time as it was."

"That's all right," Blair told him, snuggling closer both for warmth and pleasure. He looked up from his position against James' chest. "How did you know where to find me? Not that I doubted you would."

"I remembered what night it was," James replied, looking down into his beloved's eyes, "and when the driver told me he'd given you to Lady Carolyn, I knew to look here, since it was to be where I sold my soul to darkness."

"Oh," said Blair, not knowing what more to say. He tucked his head next to his love's, but James raised it back up so he could continue looking into Blair's eyes.

"I realized something as I was riding here to save you," the lord said. "I love you, and I never want to be without you."

"Funny," the other man replied, "but as I was lying tied to that altar I was thinking the same thing about you, and wishing I could have a chance to say it. Now I do. I love you, Lord James Ellison. Take me home with you, and I'll never leave."

They rode home together on the same horse.

The chapel, which was on Lord Ellison's property, was cleaned and purified a few days later, and rededicated to the Old Gods. Naomi took charge of the shrine, serving as its priestess.

Lord James never married, eventually adopting Steven's oldest son as his heir. He and Blair lived together to a ripe old age, using their abilities as Guardian and Guide to help any who needed aid in a good cause.

 

FINIS