Title: Baby, It's Cold Outside

Author/psuedonym: Ramblin Rose

Email: PattRose1@aol.com

Pairing: J/B

Rating: R

Category: PWP/Birthday Challenge.

Date: December 22, 2000

Series/sequel:

Status: new

Archive: It'll be on my page. Peja, you know you can have it. :)

Disclaimer: These guys don't belong to me, never did, never will, but I can dream. Petfly doesn't like to share. They also don't pay me, darn it anyhow.

Notes: Thanks to Mary.

Warning: m/m There is no fucking nudity. But keep in mind that everyone will leave eventually.

Summary: Jim and Blair are trying to have a nice, quiet, romantic Christmas, but Naomi and William are interferring. Damn them anyhow. :)

For Lyn, on her birthday. May every day be fun and healthy

 

Baby, It's Cold Outside

by Ramblin Rose
****

The phone rang in the loft and Jim answered it and said, "Hi, Dad. No, that's okay, I'll be over in a little bit." Hanging the phone up, Blair turned to Jim and said; "I thought we were going to have a night alone, with a fire and hot cocoa?"

"What can I say, Chief? It was my dad. He needs me to come over. His furnace shut off. What would you have me do, let him freeze?"

"No, of course not. Go, I understand." Blair said moping as he walked into the kitchen to start his Christmas cookie baking. He had looked forward to it all week long. Now, he'd be doing it all alone. Story of his life. Jim came up to Blair and kissed him hard and said, "Sorry, Chief. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Walking to the front door Jim said, "I'll make this up to you, I promise."

"Go! Fix it and come home. However, drive carefully. Bundle up because baby, it's cold outside."

Jim smiled at him and walked out the door. Something was bothering Jim but he didn't know exactly what it was. He'd think about it while he fixed the damn furnace at his dad's house.

As soon as Jim walked out of the loft and Blair got busy baking, the phone rang. Cleaning his hands off from the cookie dough, he picked it up and said, "Merry Christmas from the Sandburg residence, Blair speaking."

"Blair, Sweetie?" Naomi crooned over the lines.

"Mom? Are you in Cascade?" Blair asked hoping she wasn't. He wanted his damn Christmas with Jim.

"Yes, sweetie. I felt the need to be near you this year." She said softly. "So can I stay at your place or what?"

"Sure, Mom, why not?" Blair said dejectedly. As they said their goodbyes, Blair hung up the phone and didn't even want to bake anymore. This was going to be one fucked up Christmas.

Meanwhile, Jim was busy at his dad's house trying to fix the furnace. Having no fucking luck, he gave up, called a repairperson, and was told that it would take three days on a waiting list. Jim put his dad's name on the list, turned to him, and said, "Dad, let's pack a bag, you'll be staying at my house for the next few days."

"Jimmy, I'm sure you have plans with Blair for the holidays." William said as he started to get a suitcase.

Jim smiled and said, "No, not a problem dad. Let's get you packed and warm. You're like touching ice. How long were you without the heat on?"

"I didn't want to bother you, Jimmy, and Stevie is out of town." William answered.

"Dad, promise me you won't do that again." Jim said sternly.

"Thank you for inviting me, Jimmy. But maybe you should call and ask Blair first." William wondered aloud.

"It's my home too, Dad. I don't have to ask Blair for permission every time I do something. Tonight he told me to bundle up outside cuz it was cold outside. Like I don't know that."

"Jimmy, what did he say exactly to you?"

"Bundle up, because baby, it's cold outside." Jim said and then tried to back track over what he said.

"Jimmy, that's a title of a song. Was he singing when he said it?"

"No, he wasn't singing, but he was probably thinking of a song when he said it."

William looked over at his son and realized that his son hadn't a clue about who knew about them and who didn't. This brought a smile to his face. He brought a tape along to play on the way over to the loft. Jim loaded his father's things in the truck and helped him get into the truck. "Jimmy, maybe I should bring my car and follow behind you."

"Whatever you want, Dad. It's up to you. What do you want to do?" Jim asked losing patience.

Smiling, William said, "I think I'll follow you over. Then I have my car if I need to do some shopping or anything."

"Fine, Dad." Jim got back out of the truck and helped his dad back out of it and made sure he got his car started all right before he took off. Jim pushed in the tape on the way over. It was Baby, It's Cold Outside, by Bette Midler. Jim listened to the song lyrics and got to feeling pretty sappy so shut it off. This wasn't going to be like their planned Christmas at all. In fact, it was as far away from what they planned as anything.

When they drove up, Jim saw the lights on in the loft and smiled to himself. At least Blair didn't go to bed pissed off without him. Then Jim looked at his watch and saw that it was only 6:00. Guess that's too early for bed. * Well fuck, it wouldn't be too early for bed if we were alone, damn it. *

As they got off the elevator, William said, "Is Blair baking cookies? It smells wonderful in this hallway."

"Yeah, we were going to bake tonight. So he said he'd do it while I was gone." Jim said trying not to sound so disappointed.

Jim put his key in the lock and opened up the door and Naomi flew into his arms saying, Merry Christmas, Jim." She then kissed him on the cheek and smiled over at William. "William, it's wonderful to see you again." Then she went and hugged William and they walked into the kitchen.

"Blair, is your Mom staying here?" Jim whispered into Blair's ear in the kitchen, still hanging on to his dad's overnight bag.

Looking at the overnight bag, Blair said, "I take it we'll be having two people sleeping here? Jim could you watch the cookies really fast while I go and put clean sheets on the bed for your dad." Having said that Blair headed for their room upstairs and Jim wondered what he was doing. Then the light came on above his head. * Fuck… No way am I sleeping on the sofa. Moreover, where would Blair sleep? Shit… *

Jim grabbed the four cookie sheets out of the oven and started piling them on the rack that Blair had for cooling things. William and Naomi watched him as he did this. The whole time Jim kept glancing at the loft bedroom and wondering what Blair was doing. Naomi and William smiled at each other when they realized that Jim and Blair were indeed, Jim and Blair.

William said, "Naomi, would you like to run to the store with me really fast and pick up some eggnog for tonight to go with the cookies?"

"Sure. Jim would you please tell Blair where I've gone?" Naomi asked.

"Sure." Jim said still putting cookies on the racks. As soon as they walked out the door, Jim threw everything down. Flying up the stairs, he took Blair into his arms. "Chief, please tell me that Naomi is staying in a hotel."

"No, she's not, Jim. She's staying here. Just like your dad's staying here."

"Okay, you know what? I'm going to go and stay in a hotel tonight. I can't sleep on the sofa. We've done that before and I can't do it."

"Jim, don't leave me here alone." Blair said with his eyes begging.

"You could come with me, baby." Jim said pleadingly. "It's so damn cold and snowy out, I don't want to be alone."

"Well, we have house guests, Jim. Did you forget?"

"Have I told you lately how bad I want you?" Jim asked in a whiny voice.

"Doesn't matter how much you want me. Now go do whatever you want, but I'm here cooking and baking as planned. Your dad can sleep in our bed and I'll sleep on the sofa."

Jim yanked on Blair's arm and said, "Come on, if we hurry we can get out of here without telling them where we are."

"Very funny, Jim." Blair said but did allow himself to be pulled to the front door. Jim put the scarf around Blair's neck, then his jacked and topped it off with the big warm furry hat.

"Jim, what the hell are you doing?" Blair said trying to pull away from Jim. Just then, Naomi and William walked into the loft talking and laughing.

"Sweetie, where are you going?" Naomi asked.

"Nowhere, Naomi. Jim was just being a jerk." Blair said yanking off his coat.

Jim said, "Let me take your hat, your hair looks swell."

Blair looked over at Jim and saw what he was doing. In addition, it brought the first smile to his face he'd had all night long.

"Baby, it's bad out there. There won't be any cabs out there." Jim sang softly to Blair and William and Naomi watched from the kitchen with big smiles on their faces. William had never seen his son act like this. It was nice to see Jimmy relax.

"Your eyes are like starlight now. Mind if I move in a little closer? Baby, don't hold out." Jim continued to sing. As he got closer to Blair he sang, "Baby, it's cold outside. Baby, it's cold outside. Then Jim pulled him into his arms and started to kiss him.

Blair pulled away and said, "Jim, what the hell are you doing to me?" However, Jim could see the tears and love in Blair's eyes.

William grabbed his overnight bag and Naomi grabbed hers. William said, "We're on our way to the Hotel around the corner. We'll see you love birds in the morning for breakfast. Or not." Laughing, he and Naomi walked out of the loft together arm in arm.

"Jim, what the hell just happened? Did I miss something?"

Jim walked over, put the Cassette in the stereo for he and Blair to listen to, and got a fire started in the fireplace.

When the song started, Jim pulled Blair into his arms and said, let me sing to you."

"I'll sing every other line. I love you, Jim."

"I love you, Blair."

Baby, It's Cold Outside
By Frank Loesser

B: I really can't stay
J: But baby, it's cold outside.
B: I got to go 'way.
J: But baby, it's cold outside.
B: This evening has been
J: Been hopin' that you'd drop in.
B: so very nice.
J: I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice.
B: My mother will start to worry.
J: Beautiful, what's your hurry?
B: My Mother will be pacing the floor.
J: Listen to that fireplace roar.
B: So really I'd better scurry.
J: Beautiful, please don't hurry.
B: Well, maybe just a half a drink more.
J: Put some records on while I pour.
B: You know the neighbors might think.
J: But baby, it's bad out there.
B: Er, what's in this drink?
J: No cabs to be had out there.
B: I wish I knew how
J: Your eyes are like starlight now.
B: to break this spell.
J: I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell.
B: I ought to say no, no, no sir.
J: Mind if I move in closer?
B: At least I'm gonna say that I tried.
J: What's the sense in hurtin' my pride?
B: I really can't stay,
J: Baby, don't hold out.
B: ah, but it's cold outside.
J: Baby, it's cold outside.
B: Ah, but it's cold outside.
J: Baby, it's cold outside.


When the last line was sung, they were lying in front of the fire on a blanket, naked. Yes, it was cold outside, but in here, everything was warm and perfect.

END