With This Ring

by Mara

Okay, you can stop hating me for that snippet. I am posting!

Disaclaimer: I don't own most of them. I do own all the previous stories in this series and the charcters I claimed in those parts.

Note: This is an AU second season. Katie, Kristen, and Ben never left. The first seaQuest was never destroyed. The episode Higher Power/Ocean On Fire never happened. In fact none of the events after the Ep. 'The Last Lap Of Luxury' happened in this universe.

This is the same universe as all my previous stories. So Nathan has adopted Lucas, Kristen and Nathan are engaged.

Thanks to my Beta reader, Kimberly. Thank you so much! I would have had a throughly confusing story without her. Thanks!

Summary: The SeaQuest crew are on Bridger's island for Nathan and Kristen's wedding day and disaster is in the air. First the ring disappears, a hurricane is on it's way, and Lucas, Ben and Katie are trapped in an old bomb shelter.

With This Ring
by Mara



June 8, 2018
1:36 AM
"God. Those prison guards really are stupid. They have such a regular patrol! A fool could get away from that place. And I am no fool." Lawrence Wolonczak thought to himself as he skimmed across the water on a speed boat. He had heard about Nathan and Kristen's wedding and was planning on getting his revenge against Lucas then. He knew the boy would be there. "That brat will pay for putting Cynthia and myself in prison. If it wasn't for him Cynthia would still be alive. I will make him pay." Lawrence thought to himself as he smiled evilly.

June 10
9:00 AM

"Katie! Here. I'll help you." Ben grinned as he came jogging up to Katie and Lonnie. The two women were gathering flowers, near the edge of the woods behind Nathan's house, for Kristen and the bridesmaids to carry, as well as for decorations in the house.

"Ben. I'm surprised you would want to do something so gentile as to gather flowers." Katie said to her ex-husband.

Ben glared at her. "I want to help. Besides. Maybe I can get on the doc's good side. Maybe I can convince her I don't need the complete physical I know she has planned for me. I mean just because Lucas and I watched some vids she wants to make my yearly physical a complete physical? That's not fair!"

Katie and the other woman in the group, Lonnie, laughed. "I doubt it Ben. Kristen loves tortureing you like that so much. And considering what kind of vids I hear you and Lucas watched I think she's entitled."

Ben glared at her yet agian. "Hahaha. Let me hang my jacket on this branch. I don't want to risk the ring falling out of the jacket pocket. The captain would kill me."

Katie smiled slightly. "Yes he would. And then Kristen and Lucas would kill you again. So do try not to lose the ring."


~~*~~
The group never noticed the shadow that had been watching them for several minutes. "Maybe I can get Lucas if I steal the ring. That brat will probably want to help look for it." The man reached his hand around and dug into Ben's jacket pocket. He pulled out the ring and smiled to himself. "No one messes with Lawrence Wolonczak and gets away with it. No one."

9:38 AM

"What do you mean the ring is missing?!" Nathan yelled at Ben. He couldn't believe Ben had lost the ring.

Ben shrugged. "It must have fallen out of my jacket pocket when I went to help Katie and Lonnie gather some flowers." he said sheepishly.

Lucas spoke up, "Dad? Why don't Ben and I go look for it? It has to be near where they were picking flowers, if we just look we might find it."

Nathan smiled slightly. "Good idea. Go. And Lieutenant? Try not to get into any trouble."

Lucas stifled his laughter at the idea of Ben Krieg not getting in trouble. As the two walked out the door they ran into Katie and explained the situation. She volonteered to go with them since Ben had been helping her when he lost the ring.

Nathan sighed to himself. 'And here I thought the wedding would be ruined by the hurricane. But it was just another type of natural disater. One named Ben Krieg.

9:55 AM

The trio was far enough into the woods that the house was barely visible, when Ben called Lucas and Katie over. Lucas hoped that meant Ben had found the ring. The wind was picking up as the hurricane got closer and he really wanted to be inside when it hit. Lucas turned to make his way back to the other two and he was suddenly grabbed from behind. He let out a scream and was slammed into a nearby tree trunk. Ben and Katie came running and, as they reached the small clearing Lucas had been searching, they skidded to a halt. There, in the middle of the clearing was Lucas. And standing right behind him, holding a gun to the teen's head, was Lawrence Wolonczak.

"Oh my god." Katie whispered under her breath as she saw the blood trickling down the terrified teenager's face.

Lawrence smiled slightly. "Good. Two additional hostages. Both of you get over here and don't try anything. You do I hurt him. Got it?" Katie and Ben both nodded and walked over slowly, all the while keeping their eyes on Lawrence and the gun. As they reched him he knelt down and placed the ring box on the ground under the bloody tree. He stood up and smiled evilly at the two other adults. "Now. Walk. You try anything. You try to stop me. You try to grab the gun. He dies." The group walked solemnly through the woods until they reached what looked like an old bomb shelter. "I found this while I was hiding in the woods the past two days. It can be quite comfortable, if you have light and heat. You won't. Get in." Katie and Ben walked slowly down the stairs and Lawrence followed, dragging Lucas down with him. The group could just barely make out two of the walls in the dim light filtering in from the stairwell. "Now. You two sit down. And you, you worthless brat, Go stand against that wall." Lawrence pointed at the far wall. Lucas complied and stood against it. His eyes widened in terror as Lawerence raised the gun. Before Ben and Katie could move to stop him Lawrence raised his gun and shot Lucas in the abdomen. "That should teach you. Goodbye."

With that the man turned and walked out, locking the door behind him and shutting out the only source of light.

Katie was up in an instant and trying to find Lucas. She gasped as her hand hit a sticky wet puddle. "Ben! I need you to find a light source!" After a moment a dim light came on overhead. Katie stifled a scream when she saw Lucas. The teen was slumped against the wall and bleeding heavily from a stomach wound. "Lucas! Lucas can you here me?" Panic slipped into her voice.

'Oh god! Let him be alright!' she thought. Ben was thinking the same thing. "Ben, try to find a first-aid kit. I need to stop the bleeding soon." Katie said quickly. She wasn't a doctor but the large puddle of blood spreading out from Lucas' small body was obviously not a good sign.


~~*~~
As Lucas and the other's were being led to the bomb shelter the rest of the senior staff were busy putting the finishing touches on the houses decorations. Wendy hummed to herself as she helped arrange Kristen's hair. "I really think it will look good in this style." Wendy was telling Kristen as she finished pulling the hair back loosely.

Kristen smiled slightly. "It looks wonderfull Wendy. Thank you."

Wendy smiled. Her smile faded after a moment as a wave of pain and fear overwhelmed her. "Oh my god! Lucas!" She instantly recognized the person sending out the strong emotions.

Kristen looked at her friend with concern. "Wendy? What about Lucas?"

Wendy turned her frightened eyes to stare Kristen right in the face. "He's hurt. The emotions of fear and pain were so strong. He's hurt very badly." she whispered in a tight voice.

Kristen yelled for Lonnie to come in. As Lonnie raced in Kristen told her, "Help me undo the back of my dress. Wendy thinks something is wrong with Lucas. I have to find out where he is."

As soon as her dress was off and Kristen had changed into jeans and a t-shirt, she raced into the main room and had Wendy explain what she had felt to the others. As they heard Wendy speak the whole Senior Staff paled.

Ford was the first to speak up after Wendy finished. "I think Lucas was with Katie and Krieg. If something was wrong one of them would have come back for help."

Wendy shook her head. "Not if they were all hurt or..."

Nathan looked at her. "Or what?"

Wendy gazed right at Nathan's face as she delivered the other news. "The fear...it felt almost familiar. It wasn't just fear it...Everyone has different types of fear for different situations. The fear Lucas was experienceing...I think someone he knows caused the pain. And I think he had a few moments of warning before the actual pain. He was terrified of a specific person. Maybe I should try to sense him. See if he's conscious. Able to reply. Able to tell me where he is."

Nathan nodded. "Good idea. We need to find out what's happening. Where they are." The fear in his voice was evident. A very similiar look of fear was in the entire senior staff's eyes.



CHAPTER TWO

June 10, 2018
11:03 AM

Katie cried helplessly. It had been over an hour since Lucas had been shot and she and Ben had been unable to staunch the flow of blood very well. They had tried everything they could think of and used quite a bit of the gauze from the first-aid kit. Although the bullet didn't seem to have punctured any vital organs, Lucas' side he was bleeding heavily. Katie had moved so that Lucas' head was resting in her lap and she had directed Ben on how to use the gauze and medical tape from the first-aid kit to stop the bleeding. Unfortunately the blood had continued to flow. The odd thing was that, although Lawrence had been standing directly across from Lucas, the entrance and exit holes were at an angle from eachother. She held onto the thin hope that since no major organs seemed to have been punctured the rescue team might get there in time. But the continued blood loss still concerned her.

12:36 PM

Nathan was walking through the woods, looking for any sign of Lucas, Katie or Ben. The only clue were footprints leading into the forest. He suddenly stopped as he saw a splatter of drying blood on a tree trunk.

"Oh my God." he whispered, praying it wasn't Lucas' blood. As he stepped closer he felt something under his foot. When he looked down to the ground he saw the object was the ring box Ben, Katie, and Lucas had been looking for. He knelt down and picked up the box. As he held it he started to cry. If Lucas died because of this ring he would never forgive himself. He heard the footsteps approaching, but his mind didn't register anyone's presence until he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up and gazed into Kristen's eyes.

She saw the tears. "What's wrong, Nathan?" He gestured up to the blood stained tree trunk with his free hand. As the stain registered in Kristen's mind she sank to the ground and began to cry as well. The thought that the blood could be Lucas' was terrifying. Of course it would be just as bad if it was Ben or Katie's blood, but if it was Lucas'...

As he sat there Nathan noticed a small piece of paper poking out from under the edge of the ringbox. He opened the it and inside he found a note. Once he read it, he let out a strangled cry.

Kristen turned and saw the look of terror cross his face. She switched her gaze to the piece of paper in Nathan's hand. She gasped in horror as she saw what the note said -

Bridger -
I thought you should know who it was who shot your 'son'. He might live if you figure out where he is soon enough, but considering where I shot him, there is not much of a chance. At this very minute he is slowly bleeding to death. And your other two crewmembers are watching him die. You may have thought you had won when I went to jail, but you didn't. Now you know that Lawrence Wolonczak always wins.
Lawrence Wolonczak

Kristen almost screamed as she read the note. Wolonczak had escaped from jail. He had attacked Lucas. He also had the teen, Katie, and Ben somewhere and they didn't know where. The idea was almost too much to take in.

Nathan looked up at her and whispered, "I found the note in the box. He must have stolen the ring so he could grab them. Oh God. If he hurts Lucas...I'll kill him. I'll hunt him down and kill him." His voice was harsh in his fear.

1:17 PM

Katie gently stroked Lucas' hair. It had been over three hours since Lucas had been shot, and a few minutes before the teen had started shaking slightly. Ben was searching for a blanket or something else to keep Lucas warm. The loss of blood was bad enough but if the teen got too cold... Katie made herself think about something else. Thinking about Lucas' injuries was not helping. She smiled slightly as Ben came over to them with a blanket. He gently spread it over Lucas and then he listened to the teen's breathing. Lucas' breaths had become shallow and rapid over the past half-hour, and Katie took that as a bad sign. 'One of many', she thought.

Ben glanced up at his ex-wife and saw the tears starting to form in her eyes. "It'll be all right, Katie. I know it will. The captain will find us in time. They'll get here before the storm starts. I'm sure they will. They have to. I really don't want to spend the storm here. The wind echoes so much it's worse than being in the raft during that one hurricane."

Katie looked up. "Ben, don't think about the hurricane. I know you hate them, but if you survived one in a life raft you can survive one in a bomb shelter. I promise you. Right now I need you to help me take care of Lucas. He needs us to stay calm. He needs us to take care of him. You can't do that if your starting to panic about the hurricane. Just take a deep breath and stay calm." They both looked down as Lucas let out a small moan.

Lucas opened his eyes and gazed up at them. "Katie? Ben? What happened? Where are we?" He asked in a small voice.

Katie and Ben exchanged concerned looks. Katie looked down at Lucas again and stroked the hair of his forehead. "It's okay. Wolonczak shot you. He locked us in a bomb shelter. He's gone. He left a while ago. It's okay. You don't need to worry.", she said to him.

Lucas looked up at her. "Why would I be scared? I know dad and Kristen will find us. Wendy knows I'm hurt. She'll make sure they find us quickly. She knows were we are, too, I told her. They're coming. They'll get here soon.", he whispered.

Katie and Ben exchanged glances again. "I'm sure they will. Until then we stuck here. So, how about we...tell a round robin story. How's that sound?" Ben asked quietly. He knew that it might be a good idea to distract Lucas from what was happening.

Katie smiled. "I think that's a great idea." She was relieved that Ben had realized that they needed to focus Lucas' attention on something. She looked down and saw Lucas nodding slightly.

Ben grinned at Katie and began talking. "I'll go first. One day, a dashing young Lieutenant was walking down a hall when all of a sudden a beautiful Lt. Commander appeared. She gave him a kiss and said he was the best guy ever to be born. He smiled and asked her..." He stopped as he caught Katie's glare. "What? It's a great story!" he said quickly.

Lucas opened his eyes and looked at Ben. "I think she has a problem with the fact that your story sounds like your trying to imply her kissing you. And I think she's trying to say it's not gonna happen."

Katie smiled down at the teen and stroked his hair again. "Exactly. My turn." 'The Lt. asked her if she wanted to go out sometime and she said 'No, I haven't lost my mind completely, just partially. Now I better go get the doctor to give me a shot before I catch something.' She turned and walked away. "Lucas? Do you want a turn?"

Lucas looked up at her sleepily. "I don't know. I'm not sure I can stay awake long enough to say anything." He closed his eyes and sighed. "Katie? I'm starting to get scared. Are they coming soon? I really want to see Dad and Kristen. You guys are great company, but..." he trailed off as he yawned slightly.

Katie frowned. "I know. Lucas? Can you try to stay awake for me? I'm a little worried about your head. You have a nasty cut on your forehead. I'm a little worried about it. And I'm sure the Captain and Kristen are coming soon. Maybe when we get back to the house Kristen will even tuck you in.", Katie teased softly. All she wanted was for Lucas to stay awake. She thought that if she could get him to laugh it could buy them some more time.

Lucas opened his eyes again and smiled slightly. "I kinda hope she does. All I want to do is go to sleep. I'll try to stay awake but it's hard. It really is." His eyes slipped shut again.

Ben came over and sat next to Katie. He gently took Lucas' hand and said, "I know. But you have to try your best. For us. For the Captain and the Doctor. Please. We need you to try to stay awake."

Katie smiled at her ex-husband to let him know she approved of his tactics. "We won't be mad if you do fall asleep, but we want you to stay awake. Just try your best. Okay?"

Lucas looked up again. "I'll try. I really will. Are Dad and Kristen coming soon?"

Katie looked up at Ben and saw her own fears mirrored in his eyes. They had just told him the answer to that question, but he didn't remember. "They are coming really soon. In fact, Ben, why don't you go over by the door to greet them when they get here?" She gave him a significant look. He nodded and stood up slowly, patting Lucas' hand again before setting it down.

Ben walked over to the door of the shelter and tried to open it. He knew it was hopeless, but he also knew that he had to help Lucas stay calm, and that meant pretending everything was fine, even though it wasn't. Not by a long shot.



CHAPTER THREE

1:21 PM

Nathan sat, leaning against the tree trunk. He had found the note 45 minutes ago and after he got everyone orginized in a more active search he had sat down and begun crying. Lucas was bleeding to death somewhere and he had no idea where. He felt Kristen sit down and put her arm around his shoulders. He just stared at the ground as she began to speak.

Kristen knew Nathan was upset but she hoped the next news would help. "Nathan, Wendy thinks she knows what the place they're in looks like. She says it seems like the walls and floor are concrete. There are steps going down. Does that sound at all familiar?"

Nathan's head jerked up. "It sounds like the old bomb shelter. It was built years ago. I don't even know if the door could still open. We have to go check it out. Maybe...maybe they're there. Maybe we can find them in time." Kristen saw the look of hope in Nathan's eyes.

"Yes, we should. Let's get the group and go. The storm is getting worse and I think we should get Lucas back to the warm house as soon as possible." She smiled and stood up, waiting until Nathan stood, before going to get the others.

As they reached the others, Nathan quickly told them about the shelter. "It's close to the center of the island. It will take us at least an hour to get to it if we start now," he finished. He smiled slightly as he saw his senior staff grab what little gear they had with them and get ready to follow him. He turned and began making his way towards the shelter. He only hoped they would make it in time. As they set off to the shelter, it began to drizzle slightly.

2:14 PM

Ben walked back over to Katie and Lucas as he heard a soft murmuring sound. As he got closer, he realized Katie was singing. He waited for her to finish the song then commented, "You know. You never sang like that for me." He regretted teasing her when he saw her face. She had obviously been crying and was terrified. As he was about to ask her why she was crying, she gestured down to Lucas' abdomen.

"The bleeding is getting worse, Ben. I don't know what to do. We can't get out. We don't even know if they have any idea where we are. Ben, I don't think he's going to make it. The bleeding is too severe. I'm scared, Ben. I don't want to watch him die. He's only a child. He has so much to look foward to and he might not get it." Katie began sobbing helplessly again. She felt Ben's arms wrap around her shoulders and she leaned into him. "Ben? I know I always call you immature and childish, but every once in a while you prove that you can be adult about things. If you ever tell anyone I said this I'll kill you, but, I still love you, Ben. Especially when you are being so compassionate. Just don't expect me to get back together with you. It's not going to happen."

Ben chuckled softly. "Don't worry. The way I figure it, that was just the emotions talking. I won't ever mention it again. I promise. And, Katie, Lucas will make it. He has to. He's a strong kid. He'll be fine. He has to be."

Katie smiled and stroked Lucas' forehead again. "I just hope you are right. I could never forgive myself if he died. I couldn't. It would destroy the Captain to lose Lucas. I know it would. Lucas means so much to him, I don't think he could take it," She sighed. Lucas looked even younger right now. His hair was damp with sweat and clinging to his head. His face was scrunched up in pain. He looked so young. He couldn't die. He just couldn't. Both of the adults knew, though, that his chances of survival were slim to nil. The rescue team would never get here in time. They didn't even know where the trio was. She was startled out of her thoughts as Lucas let out a small moan.

Lucas looked up at Katie. "Katie? Why are you crying?" He asked, concerned.

Katie smiled down at him. "I'm just nervous. The hurricane's getting worse. Don't worry though."

Lucas nodded. "I won't. Ben? Can I ask you something?"

Ben nodded. "Sure. Go ahead."

Lucas asked, "I know you didn't find the ring because *HE* had it, so why did you call us back over to you?"

Ben smiled slightly. "I called you back over to me because of the storm. I figured the Captain and Doctor would rather do without the rings then without you."

Lucas looked up at him with eyes starting to cloud with pain. "They are going to have to do without me though. Don't try to tell me I'll be fine. I know that's not true. I can feel the blood on the floor. I spend a lot of time with Kristen, remember? I know I've lost a lot of blood. I know I'm not going to make it. Just...will you guys stay with me until I do die? I know it's going to happen and I don't want to die alone. Please?"

Katie began crying again. "Lucas, you have to hold on. I know that the Captain and Kristen are coming. They will get here soon. I know they will. You have to try to hold on until then. You are right about the blood. You have lost quite a bit, but you will make it if you just hold on a little while longer. Ben and I will stay right here until they get here. Then they can be with you while you get better. Just hold on a little while longer. Please."

Lucas reached a hand up and squeezed her hand. "I'll try my best, I really will. Just in case...can you tell them I love them a whole lot? And tell Dad that it meant more than anything to me that he loved me. Please?"

Katie tried to smile. "You can tell them yourself once they get here. But just in case, I promise I'll tell them." She was about to say something else when she realized Lucas had passed out again. Just as she turned to talk to Ben she heard a sound coming from the door. "Oh my God! Someone's at the door. Ben? What if it's Wolonczak?!" the panic in her voice was obvious.

******

Ben stood and moved in front of Katie and Lucas. If Wolonczak was back he would not get another chance to hurt Lucas again. He stood there for several minutes, waiting for the door to open and for Wolonczak to come in. He was thankful that the door stuck slightly, but when the door finally did open, it wasn't Wolonczak's voice that greeted him.

"Lt.? Where's Lucas?!" Nathan asked, trying to keep the panic from his voice.

Katie spoke up. "Over here! We need Kristen and her med-kit! He's bleeding!" The second the words were out of her mouth Kristen was by her side, checking Lucas' injuries.

Kristen bent down and gently removed the bloody bandage from Lucas' side. She gasped when she saw the wound. "Did you find the exit wound?" she asked, trying to keep her voice neutral.

Katie nodded. "Yes, it's on his side close to the back." She noticed the look on Kristen's face. "I know the entrance seems straight, and Wolonczak was standing right across from Lucas, but the exit is on his side. I don't understand it."

Kristen nodded and gently used her fingers to find the exit wound. "There it is. Right where Katie said. I do not understand it. It should be in the middle of his back, not on his side," she muttered to herself. She heard Lucas moan slightly. "Well, that's a good sign. It means he is somewhat conscious. We have to get him back to the SeaQuest though. Soon. He has lost a lot of blood and he would be much more comfortable on a bed than on a concrete floor. Katie? Do you think you can hang on as his pillow for a little while longer? I need to get a stretcher for him. Then..." she was cut off by Tim.

"It might not be such a good idea to leave the shelter. The hurricane's hit. We would probably be better off here than trying to make it back," he said grimly.

Kristen reached to her side and grabbed her med-kit. She quickly took an inventory of what she had in it. She groaned inwardly. Not enough. She could at least keep him out of pain, but that was just about it. "Okay. I need something to make a pillow then. We can't expect Katie to stay right here forever."

Katie looked at her solemnly. "I don't mind. We weren't able to stop Wolonczak from shooting him, the least I can do is stay here."

Kristen patted Katie's arm. "Thank you. It is best that he stay still anyway. I...We do need to get him back to the house as soon as we can. It's too cold in here. He needs to be warmer."

Nathan thought for a minute. "Tim? How wide is the eye of the hurricane?"

Time looked at him in surprise. "About a mile wide. Why, sir? What are you thinking?"

Nathan sighed. "It's risky but what if we move to the house while the eye is over us? If we move fast we can probably make it. Would that work?"

Kristen thought for a moment. "It depends on how long until the eye is over us, what the wind speed is. But I think we can make it."

Nathan nodded. "Tim, get us that information. And is there anyone still at the house? If there is, tell them to get all the blankets they have ready. We are all going to need them once we get to the house."

Tim left the shelter and went up top to find out what was needed. He knew there were at least four people still at the house. Ford had gone back to the SeaQuest only because it needed a Commanding Officer on board. Lonnie, Tony Piccolo, Dagwood, and Brody were all at the house. He contacted them and explained the situation. He also got the weather report from them. As he walked back into the shelter he looked grim. "Winds are at 76 MPH. The eye will reach us in two hours. The others at the house are getting blankets ready. Lonnie said she's going to get some coffee ready for us. Dagwood offered to come and carry Lucas back to the house."

Kristen knew that her fiancee was about to protest. "Nathan, it might be a good idea. Dagwood might be able to hold him steadier than you. That's nessecesary due to internal bleeding."

Nathan nodded. "Okay. Tim, before the storm gets too bad go back up top and tell them that, once the storm dies down some, to have Dagwood come here. Can he get here on his own?"

Tim nodded. "I told them about the shelter and that it's towards the center of the island. I'll tell Dagwood to go to the dock and walk straight towards the center of the island. Someone can wait up top for him."

Nathan nodded that was what they would do. He turned to see Kristen gently argueing with Katie. "What are you two fighting about?" He asked quietly.

Kristen looked up at him. "I'm trying to get Katie to move. She can't stay in this position forever and it might be better for Lucas to lay flat for a while. I have a blanket to put under his head. It would be more comfortable for both of them."

Nathan nodded. "She's right Katie. You are still going to be nearby, but you need a break."

Katie finally gave up and helped Kristen gently transfer Lucas' head on to the folded blanket. She squeezed his hand before walking over to stand near Ben. He gently wrapped an arm around her shoulder and led her over to the steps so she could sit down.

Tim came walking down the steps and walked around them. He saw Wendy and Kristen still fighting to stop the bleeding and sighed. He was worried about Lucas and the storm, and if they could safely move him back to the house. He wondered what the others, waiting at the house, were doing right then.

Father Peter Tomas watched silently as the SeaQuest people who had stayed on the island moved to get the house ready for anything. He was beginning to wish he had left with the rest of the people. Peter was worried about his friend, Tim, who was out in the storm. He knew that Tim was in a bomb shelter, but they were old friends, so he worried anyway. The two had gone to the same church as children and had grown up together. Peter worried about whether or not he would see his friend again. He knew that Tim had felt he should go help in the search but what help was a communications officer in a search party? What could he possibly do that one of the others couldn't?

3:00 PM

Tim stayed out of the way of the two doctors, who were still trying to stop the blood from seeping out of Lucas body. The boy lay on the cold ground, looking so pale, so small, so fragile. As Kristen and Wendy slowed their frantic pace Tim moved closer to the Lucas. Finally, Kristen stood and walked over to Nathan and the others. Wendy glanced up and spotted Tim standing nearby. She smiled and gestured him over.

"It might do him some good to hear another voice. Just talk to him, let him know you're here. It will help," Wendy said as she stood up to join the other people in the shelter.

Tim hesitated a moment before he sat down next to Lucas. He gently took the teen's hand in his own and began talking. "I don't know if you can hear me, Lucas, but I want you to know that I'm here. So are the captain, the doctor, Wendy, Miguel, Katie and Ben. Katie and Ben are fine. Neither of them are hurt, but everyone is worried about you. We want you to know we care and we are here with you. I feel so helpless here. The only thing I can think of that I can do is pray. I don't know how you feel about God, but, as you know, I am a strong believer in him. I'm going to pray for you to get better Lucas. I know you will. Mostly because God knows how much we all need you. How much we care about you. How much the Captain loves you. You need to hang on, Lucas. Please. Just hang on." He watched his young friend's face. It was creased slightly in pain. Tim just wished he could do something, anything, more. But he couldn't. So he just sat with his friend, and prayed.

******

3:20 PM

Nathan watched as Tim sat near Lucas, every once in awhile saying something. He was glad there were other people around, because he wasn't sure he could handle staying next to Lucas when the teen was in that condition. Especially when he knew that the medical equipment they needed was miles away. He turned back to Kristen and asked for the time.

Kristen looked up at him and answered, "4:50. We still have forty minutes until it's safe to go back to the house. He'll be fine Nathan, we slowed the blood flow. He will survive. He has to." She tried to stop the tears from falling but she failed once Nathan's arm wrapped around her shoulders. "I know he will be fine. But seeing him in so much pain...It's so hard. All I want to do is wrap my arms around him and hug him. Forever. I just want to hold him, let him know I'm here." She sniffed back her tears. "When we get back to the house, and later to the SeaQuest, he's going to have to deal with some very serious mothering. The whole nine yards, including tucking him in." She turned as she heard quiet laughter coming from behind her. She saw was Katie and Ben trying desperately to suppress their laughter. "What, may I ask, is so funny?"

Katie was able to answer first. "Earlier, I teased Lucas that maybe when we got back to the house you would tuck him in. The funny part was his response," Katie stopped as she remembered his sleepy reply. "He said that he kinda hoped you did. We thought it was pretty funny when you just said you would tuck him in."

Kristen smiled. "Well, now he can't complain later when I do. And I plan on tucking him in," she sighed and turned to go check on Lucas again. Tim glanced up as Kristen came over. He smiled at her and moved aside some so she could check the bandage. Kristen nodded and turned to Tim.

"Well, whatever you said to him certainly calmed him down. His heart rate is much lower than before which is a very good sign. It had been at a dangerously fast pace before, now it's just about normal. Good job. Can you keep talking to him for awhile? I would like to keep him as calm as possible, for as long as possible."

Tim smiled in relief, he was glad he was helping somehow. "Sure, I don't even remember most of what I said to him. I just started talking. It made me feel better to be doing something, I'm glad it helped him."

Kristen patted his arm as she stood to walk back over to Nathan and the others. "The bleeding has slowed, so has his heartrate. It had been at a dangerously high rate before but it is almost normal know. I'm very glad Tim talked to him." she told them.

Wendy smiled. "I could tell he wanted to help somehow and I thought hearing a friends voice might help Lucas. I guess I was right."

Nathan nodded. "I'm glad you were. Wendy, how did you know what this place looked like? I can't quite figure that out."

Wendy sighed. "I'm not sure. I think Lucas told me. He might have latent telepathic abilities that didn't emerge until now, I don't know. I'll have to talk to him about it later, see if he remembers speaking to me in his mind. If he does, that pretty much confirms my theory."

Ben spoke up when he heard that. "Lucas said he told you where we were. He was pretty insistent about it." Katie nodded in agreement.

"He did say that. He kept insisting that he told you, that you knew where we were."

Wendy nodded. "Well, that certainly leads me to believe my theory is correct. I will still have to talk to him later and see what he meant. It might be just a coincidence, but I doubt it."

Ben looked at them and sighed. "I'm volunteering to go up top to wait for Dagwood. I don't think I can stay down here much longer. I just can't." He turned slightly and smiled at Katie as she put her hand on his arm in a comforting manner.

Nathan nodded. "I understand. If I didn't feel like I needed to be down here for Lucas, I would volunteer myself."

------

4:06 PM

"Dagwood's here!" Ben called down the steps as he led the large GELF down. Dagwood walked over to Lucas and knelt down, the concern for his friend evident on his face.

"Lucas hurt bad?" He asked Tim as he reached Lucas and the group around him.

Tim nodded. "Yeah, he is, but both the doctors say he will be fine. Don't worry Dagwood."

Dagwood waited while Kristen directed him as to how to hold Lucas. Once he heard the directions, he gently picked up his friend and cradled the boy against his chest.

Nathan watched Dagwood pick up the still boy. He knew Dagwood would be very careful but he still found it disconcerting to see Lucas' small body in arms of the large GELF. The group carefully climbed the stairs and once they were outside the shelter they headed for the house. Nathan looked up at the sky and shuddered. They were right underneath the eye of the storm and they didn't have much time before the hurricane began again. The clouds could be seen covering the sky from horizon to horizon and he watched them swirling around the center. He sighed in relief when, barely a half hour later, he glanced in front of him and saw the house. He sent Tim ahead to tell the people in the house to get out of the way.

------

4:39 PM

Lonnie held the door open as the rescue team came in. She had to bite her lip to stop the gasp from escaping as she saw the condition Lucas was in. He had grown extremely pale and the dark spot growing over his bandages was ominous to her. She was very glad Tony had found out that the couch in the Captain's living room was foldout. That was probably going to be easier and more comfortable for Lucas.

Kristen spread thick sheet across the center of the foldout bed, then directed Dagwood to place Lucas down on it. The second he was lying flat, she and Wendy went to work on his injuries. Lucas had begun to bleed again while they were moving but they had not had much of a choice.

Nathan watched them for a few minutes then went into the other room to call the SeaQuest. He wanted to give them the good news.

Tim stood off to the side talking to Peter. "Peter, I can't beleive this happened. Why can't Wolonczak just leave Lucas alone? He doesn't deserve this. I just wish I could do something to help. Anything."

Peter grasped his friends hand. "Let's pray, Tim. I think that's all we can do." Tim nodded and the two men began to pray.

******

Poor Commander Ford wanted nothing more than to hit the woman standing on the bridge. She had been yelling at him for almost an hour and he wasn't sure he could take much more.

"What do you mean your not going back?!" Elisabeth Westphalen yelled at Ford. He had just told her that he was not sending another launch to the island.

"As I already told you, I can't. The weather is too severe, I'm not about to risk any members of this crew. Now. Will you go peacefully to your quarters, or do I have to ask someone to escort you to them?" Ford asked with faked kindness. All he got in return was a glare and more yelling.

"My daughter is on that island! SHE is a member of this crew! You are putting HER at risk!" Elisabeth would have continued ranting if not for the ensign at the communications panel speaking up.

"Commander! We have an incoming transmission from Captain Bridger!"

Ford smiled at Elisabeth and gestured for the Captain to be put on the main viewer. "Captain, is everyone all right? Did you find Lucas?" The concern was evident on Ford's face as he asked.

Nathan smiled broadly. "Yes, we found him. He is bleeding heavily but Kristen and Wendy are working on that as we speak. Kris told me that Lucas should be fine in a week or two. Luckily, neither Katie nor Ben were injured. I need to know how the sensors check is going. Any sign of a small craft on the surface during the time frame I gave you?"

Ford nodded and gestured for Miguel to follow the orders. "I'm glad to hear Lucas will be all right. The sensors logs don't show anything. I..." He was cut off by Elisabeth. p> "Captain Bridger! Where is my daughter?! Why isn't she safe on this boat?!! I want answers right now!" She yelled at him.

Nathan stopped smiling. "Kristen is, at this very moment, trying to keep a sixteen year-old boy from losing too much blood. She refused to leave until we had found Lucas, and now we need her to stay because we need her as a doctor. She is safe and will stay that way. And Mrs. Westphalen? Never speak to me like that again, especially when you are standing on the bridge of my ship. I'll talk to you in a few hours, Jonathon." With that he cut the link.

Ford couldn't help grinning at the shocked expression on Elisabeth's face. She obviously had not expected that response. "Now, Mrs. Westphalen, if you don't want to return to your quarters I'm sure I can arrange a tour of the ship. I'm positive Mr. Ortiz would gladly take you." Ford turned and smiled at Miguel.

He noticed the man's grimace and moved closer to whispered, "You can make her feel guilty for acting so rude. Show her and the other members of the Westphalen family Lucas' accomplishments. The vo-corder in particular. And show them Kristen's office. Make sure they see the pictures of Lucas." Ford smiled again at the grin on Miguel's face. As Miguel led the Westphalens off the bridge, Ford let out a sigh. He knew he shouldn't be doing that, but those people, particularly Elisabeth Westphalen, were driving him insane. How could they be so heartless? Of course Kristen wanted to stay on the island and help Lucas! She loved him like he was her own child! The only member of the Westphalen clan who wasn't being impossible was Kristen's daughter, Cynthia Westphalen. Cynthia had met Lucas and knew how much the teen meant to Kristen, so she was being understanding. She was concerned but she understood. At this point Ford would rather have to deal with Kristen and her scientific staff than with the Westphalen family. He sighed and sat down in the captain's chair. He was certainly glad that Nathan would be back soon. Very glad indeed.

------

7:27 PM

Nathan sighed. The launch was arriving any minute and he was getting anxious. Kristen and Wendy had managed to staunch the bleeding from Lucas' stomach but he was still going to need surgery once they got back to the SeaQuest. He was sitting on the edge of the fold out bed holding Lucas' limp hand. The teen had been drifting in and out of consciouness all evening and was, at this point, out cold. A knock on the front door startled him out of his thoughts. He watched Brody open the door slowly and then he sighed in relief as Miguel walked in. He and an ensign were carrying a stretcher for Lucas. Kristen directed them over and with the help of Dagwood, Lucas was shifted onto the stretcher. The teen let out a soft whimper and Nathan grabbed his hand and squeezed it. "It's okay, Kiddo. We're going home. Don't worry." Lucas sighed slightly and fell silent.

------

8:00 PM

It took several minutes to get Lucas down to the launch and then to secure the stretcher so it wouldn't shift too much. Nathan knelt on the floor next to his adopted son, holding the teen's hand tightly. He was terrified by how pale Lucas looked. The teen's breathing had become increasingly erratic and Kristen had said that it could be being caused by internal bleeding. She said that she would have to take Lucas into immediate surgery to check on what kind of damage had been done.

------

9:10 PM

The next half hour was the longest of Nathan's life. Lucas had begun bleeding again and Nathan was terrified he would lose the boy. "Just a little further, Kiddo, we're almost home. Just a little while longer," he whispered as he grasped Lucas' hand. He smiled in relief as he felt the shudder which told him they were docking.

------

9:28 PM

The next fifteen minutes pasted in a blur, and the next thing Nathan knew, they had reached medbay. Kristen ordered several technicians to prep Lucas for surgery and then turned to the senior staff. "I'll let you know as soon as possible." She didn't have to say anymore because everyone knew she meant she would let them know about Lucas' condition as soon as she could.

Kristen was interupted before she reached medbay, as some one grasped her arm. She spun around in exasperation and met the gaze of her mother.

"Kristen! There you are! Are you all right darling? I've been worried sick and that commander wouldn't send a launch to get you and bring you back to the ship where it was safe!" Elisabeth said to her daughter, oblivious of Kristen's attempts to get out of her mother's grip.

Finally Kristen snapped. "Mother! I need to get into surgery! Lucas is bleeding internally and I need to fix the damage before it is too late! Now let go! Unless you want to be responsible for for a sixteen year-old getting sicker or dieing!" With that she jerked her arm out of her mother's grasp and walked off to prep for surgery.

Elisabeth tried to follow her daughter but Miguel grabbed her arm. "That's not allowed, Mrs. Westphalen. You can't go in there." Elisabeth tried to slap him, but he pulled out of the way just in time. Katie came into the room and walked over.

"What's going on, Miguel? Who is this woman who just tried to hit you? And why was she trying to hit you?" she asked wearily.

Miguel looked at her and answered quickly. "This is Elisabeth Westphalen. Doc's mother. She was bothering the doc and tried to follow her into the prep room. I grabbed her arm to stop her and she tried to hit me!"

Katie took a deep breath then turned to glare at Elisabeth. "Never interfere with this ship's medical staff. I don't care who you are. Now get out of medbay. Now!"

Elisabeth's jaw dropped in surprise. She had never been spoken to in that tone of voice. "How dare you speak to me in that tone of voice! You will regret..." She stopped as she finally noticed the look on Katie's face.

Katie glared at her and then, in a hushed and dangerous tone of voice, said, "I suggest you leave medbay right now, or I might hit you. And at this point I would gladly hit you. You are being self centered and horrible. In that operating room is a sixteen year-old boy who was shot a few hours ago and spent most of the time since being shot laying on a cold concrete floor, in a dimly lit bomb shelter. I spent that time trying to keep him from bleeding to death, so you better think about what you say next because I am on my very last thread of patience and calm and serenity. If you piss me off anymore than you already have I am likely to hit you. And I will not regret it if I do. So back off and get out of medbay." With that Katie turned and walked over to the benches and sat down.

Elisabeth stood in shock at what she had just been told. Finally she gave an indignant huff and stalked out of medbay. The second she was gone everyone who had heard what Katie had said began applauding.

"Katie, that was fantastic. And it actually got rid of her! Your a hero!" Ben told her as he sat down next to her. When she didn't look up he gently turned her face and saw why. Katie was crying. "It's okay, Katie. Lucas will be fine. I know he will."

Katie shook her head. "It's not that. I mean, I am worried about Lucas, but... God! Do you realize that I just told off the Captain's future mother in-law?! Kristen will never forgive me for yelling at her mother like that."

Ben gently put his arm across Katie's shoulder and hugged her. "Yes, she will. You didn't see the doc's reaction to her mother. It was almost as bad. I know the doc will forgive you. Your her friend. And, when it comes to Lucas, I think the doc would choose him over anybody. He means a lot to her."

Katie looked up at Ben and smiled shakily. "Your right. That woman deserved it. Kristen will forgive me. Ben? Thank you. I'm glad you said that. This another one of those times when you don't seem like such a jerk. Of course what I said before still goes."

Ben grinned at her. "I know it does. I didn't expect you to change your mind. At least not anytime soon." He was rewared with a slight glare. He knew she was just do that for show though, she wasn't really angry with him.

------

9:40

Nathan was in the wardroom talking to Miguel about the sensors check. He would much rather have been with Lucas, but he knew the teen was in surgery, plus he needed to try to find Wolonczak. "So we have nothing?" He asked as Miguel finished his report.

Miguel shook his head. "Nothing. No sign of a boat of any size. Wolonczak may have left on the other side of the island. He may have hidden a boat there. I'm sorry, sir."

Nathan sighed. "Don't be sorry. You tried. A lot was going on and the Sensors were focused on the hurricane. I have one other thing to ask you. What is this I hear about Elisabeth Westphalen trying to hit you?"

Miguel looked like he was going to laugh as he explained what had happened. "Then Katie threatened to hit her if she didn't get out of medbay immediately! Of course once Mrs. Westphalen was gone evryone started applauding! It was hilarious! The look on Mrs. Westphalen's face was priceless!"

Nathan started laughing as he heard the story. "I'm going to have to congratulate Katie on getting that woman out of medbay! I'm sure the medical staff think she's a hero!" He was interrupted as the comlink buzzed. "Yes?"

Kristen's voice came throught the speaker. "Lucas is out of surgery. Luckily there wasn't too much internal bleeding. He should be fine in a few days. I thought you might want to come down and see him."

Nathan smiled broadly. "I'll be right down." He nodded to Miguel then stood and quickly walked out, heading for medbay.

------

Three hours later Nathan was sitting by Lucas' bed as he talked to Kristen and Wendy. "So you still have no idea how the entrance is straight in but the exit is a good three, four, inches to the side?"

Kristen shook her head. "I can't think of an explanation. It doesn't make any sense." She was about to say more when Lucas answered.

"Uncle David moved it. He wouldn't let me get killed." After saying that the teen passed out again, leaving the three adults to ponder his words.

"Any idea who 'Uncle David' is? I've never heard anything about him," Kristen asked.

Nathan shook his head. "No. Lucas has never mentioned an 'Uncle David' to me."

------

By the next morning Lucas was in much better condition. He didn't remember mentioning his 'Uncle David', and he had no idea why he had said that the man had moved the bullet. He and Wendy had a long conversation about how he told her where he was. He explained that it was as though he could hear her inside his head while he talked to her. Finally they talked about the abilities themselves.

"I think you have latent but strong telepathic abilities, Lucas. That's the only thing that can explain how you told me where you were." Wendy said.

Lucas bit his lip for a moment before responding. "What exactly does that mean? Are the...abilities permanent? Or will they fade away after a while?"

Wendy shook her head. "I don't know. But, just incase they are permanent I think you should let me teach you how to control them. It can be difficult for me and I've had them for most of my life. You suddenly developed them. Will you let me teach you?"

Lucas hesitated for a moment before nodding. "Yeah. I guess it would be a good idea. It...Wendy? When your teaching me you won't be able to...access my memories, will you?"

Wendy shook her head. "Not unless you want me to see them. I will back away if anything I don't think you want me to see begins to surface. I will be very careful."

Lucas smiled. "Thank you. Now when do we start?"

Wendy smiled back. "In about two weeks. You need your rest. Once you've been cleared from medbay we'll start.

------

In the other room Nathan and Kristen were talking about the wedding.

Kristen looked up from her desk and gazed into Nathan's eyes for a moment before she spoke. "I say we just get married here on the ship. We can clean and decorate seadeck and have it there. That way Darwin can attend. And we can wheel Lucas' bed in so he can be there. We can always vacation on the island after things calm down."

Nathan smiled. "That sounds like a wonderfull idea. Perfect. I'll get people started on it right away."

Kristen laughed softly. "Of course I can't wear my dress just in case Lucas needs me as his doctor."

Nathan nodded. "I know. We can at some point later get official wedding portraits taken with you in the dress. But I don't care what you wear as long as we do get married."

Kristen smiled and stood to go with Nathan to speak to the others about the new wedding plan.

------

Three days later

"And do you, Kristen Westphalen, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold in sickness and in health, for richer and for poorer, as long as you both shal live?" Father Peter Tomas asked the bride.

Kristen nodded and said "I do." She held out her hand as Nathan placed the ring on it.

"With this ring, I thee wed." Nathan said as he slipped the ring on.

Kristen slid Nathan's ring on to his finger and said, "With this ring, I thee wed."

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride." The happy couple did so and the entire senior staff cheered. Kristen turned and smiled at them. She and Nathan had decided to kick most of her family off the SeaQuest due to their behavior. The only member of the Westphalen clan still on board was Kristen's daughter, Cynthia, who was standing by Lucas' bed, which had been rolled in from medbay.



Epilogue-

One week later

"Now, you may be well enough that I released you from medbay but you still need to rest. Go to your room and lay down. You can work on your laptop as long as your lying down. Go!" Kristen told Lucas.

Lucas grinned. "Okay, can I at least eat dinner out here with you and Dad tonight?"

"Yes. If you rest. Come on." She walked him to his bed and helped him get settled. Lucas winced slightly as he tried to get comfortable. Kristen brushed the hair off his forehead and then tucked him in. "There you go. All tucked in."

Lucas tried, unsuccessfully, to hide his smile. He kind of liked being babied. "Kristen? Can I ask you something?"

Kristen sat down on the side of the bed. "Sure. What?"

Lucas took a deep breath. "Would you mind if I called you mom?"

Kristen was surprised to hear that. She knew it had taken him quite a while to get to the point of calling Nathan Dad, and she hadn't expected him to want to call her Mom for a long time. She reached over and hugged him. "Of course I don't mind. I'm thrilled that you want to call me mom. It means so much to me. I didn't thoink you would want to, at least not for a while yet, if ever."

Lucas smiled. "Dad didn't betray my trust by hurting me after I started calling him that I guess I feel more secure about calling you Mom."

Kristen smiled herself. "I'm glad you're feeling secure enough to call me that. It means a lot to me. I love you. Now, get some rest!" She kissed the top of his head and turned to walk out. As she reaxhed the door, Lucas called out to her.

"I love you, too, Mom."

She smiled again as she walked out.

muineb@cyberhighway.net