Title - Torture and Love does mix.

Author - Lynnp

Fandom - Seaquest

Pairing - Jim Brody/Wendy Smith

Archive - yes please!

Rating - NC17?

Feedback - yes please - privately or on list lynnpougher@yahoo.com

Disclaimer - Seaquest and her characters do not belong to me.

Warnings - Consentual sex, graphic violence, some swearing.


Torture and Love does mix.
by Lynnp


They dragged him from the cell before the others had a chance to react. He struggled but it was useless, there were too many of them. They strongarmed him down a corridor, before reaching a door which had two armed guards on it.

The door opened and he was marched in. He was taken to a chair, which they strapped him to and then they left. He looked around him nervously, wondering what the hell was going to happen. He took a deep breath and reminded himself he was a UEO Officer and that he mustn't give in.

Two men came in. "Well I'm sure you're wondering why you're here" one of them said,"we don't want to have to hurt you so why don't you tell us what we need to know".

"I'm sure as you're aware under UEO law I'm only required to give you my name rank and serial number" he replied.

Backhanding him across the face the second man said, "That's not what we want to hear, we want the security codes to Seaquest, so we suggest you co-operate or face the consequences".

"I suppose I'll have to face the consequences then". At that they proceeded to hit him about the face, punching him on the chest and in the stomach until his face was bloody and his torso was covered in bruises. He gasped in pain but managed not to cry out, still refusing to give them any information.

After what seemed like an eternity they stopped. They called to the guards outside the door and to Brody's horror when the door opened two more men came in, both armed with what looked like baseball bats. #Oh Shit# he thought, # This is going to really hurt. Courage Jim, think of the others#.

He was released from the chair, his arms pinioned behind him and he was forced upright.

"Now we'll ask you again, what are the security codes to Seaquest?"

He replied, "Brody, Lieutenant, James Robert, serial number…. Aaah" he cried as they hit the back of his legs with the bats, he struggled to stay upright, the pain was unbelievable.

Again and again they asked the same question, and each time he started to give them his name rank and serial number they hit him, on his legs, back, stomach and torso, until finally, one of them miss- hitting, caught him a glancing blow across the back of the head and he sagged, losing consciousness.

Ford and Ortiz were worried sick about Brody; he'd been gone for over two hours. They'd also heard him cry out a few times.

"Christ, what are they doing to him?" Miguel asked really worried. "God only knows, if only there was something we could do" Jon replied. They paced the cell they'd been put in after they'd been captured.

Suddenly they heard the key turn in the lock and started over to the door. An armed guard stood there and warned them to stay back. They had no choice but to comply.

The sight that greeted them filled them with dread. Supported by two more guards an unconscious Jim was dragged into the cell and thrown onto the floor.

They rushed over and turning him over gasped in horror. Jim's face was covered in dried blood and he was badly bruised. They picked him up gently and took him to the bunk in the corner of the cell, and placed him on it taking care to support his head.

Miguel went to the sink and wetting some paper towels took them over, they proceeded to gently wipe Jim's face taking care not to hurt him.

"Jim wake up buddy, come on wake up" Ford said worriedly, but apart from a soft groan of pain Jim didn't wake up.

"Christ what a mess" Ortiz said. They checked over the rest of him grimacing at the bruises they found. "What on earth do they want?" Ford wondered.

Later, after what seemed an age Brody began to stir and they both sat down by him. "Ohh" he moaned in pain. "Easy Jim" Ford cautioned when he tried to move; "Aah" he cried as he fully came to. Trying to play it down he said "Well that was fun" but he wasn't fooling the others, they could see how much pain he was in.

"What do they want Jim?" Ford asked. "The security codes to Seaquest, and when I didn't tell them, well as you can see they beat the shit out of me" he grimaced, the pain of talking too much taking it out of him.

"Ok Buddy, that's enough talking for now, get some rest while we try and figure a way of getting out of here" Jon said. "Sounds good to me" Brody murmured.

It seemed as if he'd only been asleep for a few minutes when he heard the cell door open. Opening his eyes, he looked on in horror as Ford and Ortiz were forced over to the other side of the cell and two more guards came over to where he lay. #Oh God no, not again# he thought as they pulled him off the bunk. Dragging him to the door he heard Ford shout, "No, you can't do this you animals, can't you see he's been through enough, I'm the commanding officer, take me". But it was to no avail and with a last despairing glance at Miguel and Jon he was forced out of the cell and dragged down the corridor again.

This time the guards took him further, to another door and when it was opened he was pulled to the back of the room where what looked like metal restraints were on the wall.

His arms were forced above him, causing an involuntary cry of pain and they were cuffed separately to two metal rings. His ankles received the same treatment and he wondered what the hell was going to happen now.

An older man walked into the room accompanied by a guard. "Good Afternoon Mr. Brody, now I hope you're going to co-operate this time, we don't want a repeat of what happened before, now do we," he said sneeringly. "Go to Hell" Brody replied. "Not what I wanted to hear, now isn't that a pity" he said. Going to a panel in the wall he took what looked like a metal cane and walked over to Jim. "This is connected to an electricity conduit and I must warn you when I place it on certain parts of your body, you'll going to wish you'd never been born.

Now, again I will ask you, what are the security codes to Seaquest".

Jim replied "Brody, Lieutenant, James Robert, Serial Number…..Aaaah!" he screamed as the cane leapt in the man's hands and touched his chest. The rush of electricity swept through his body causing excruciating pain. He clamped his mouth shut determined not to cry out again "Increase the power," the man barked to the guard and proceeded to hit Jim again and again with waves of electricity. Jim refused to answer any questions but he was weakening, he knew that. #Shit, I don't know how long I can take this# he thought.

Ford and Ortiz had heard Jim's first scream and Ford called out to the guard on the door, "For Christ's sake what are they doing to him". The guard replied "Electric shock treatment and it ain't pretty, I hope he talks soon for his sake".

"No chance" Miguel muttered. The guard overhearing him said, "we'll see, they usually break down within a matter of minutes, let's see how long he lasts".

Over an hour later and Brody still hadn't broken down although he'd cried out a few times; he'd been unable to stop himself. "Christ, I've never known anyone stand it for this long" the guard on the door said.

But Brody was coming to the end of his endurance and when they increased the electricity again he couldn't stop himself screaming out in absolute agony; "Oh God Stop! Stop! For Christ's sake Stop! Please, please" he begged. "No more, please no more" he cried, his voice trailing off.

"Had enough Mr. Brody? Now, why don't you tell me what I need to know, and all this pain can stop. What are the security codes?"

For a brief moment Brody faltered, his lips trembling; the man leaned forward eagerly, sensing capitulation but then, somehow dragging something deep within him, Brody took a deep breath, looked straight at him and gasped "Not a chance!"

On hearing this the older man lost his cool and snapped to the guard "Turn it to maximum"; the guard gasped in horror, "But Sir that could kill him!" "Do it!" the man barked. The guard complied, but with great reluctance, he'd never seen anyone display so much courage before in his life. Looking across he saw Brody tense himself ready, the fear evident in his pain-filled eyes.

Ford and Ortiz had both jumped up when they heard Brody scream again. They looked at each other in dismay when they heard the obvious pleading in Jim's voice; but they were in no way prepared for what happened next. A blood-curdling scream of agony, which abruptly stopped mid-stream. "Oh Shit!" Miguel cried, "What are they doing to him?" Ford noticed that the guard outside the door had gone white with shock. "WHAT!" he screamed, "What is it, tell me please" he begged. The guard shook his head, "I'm sorry, I think they've killed him".

"NO!" Ford and Ortiz shouted. "NO!"

They both sat down, their heads in their hands, crying unashamedly.

To their great relief an unconscious Brody was brought back to the cell, the guard shaking his head in amazement that he had survived.

This time the two guards bringing him in placed him gently on the bunk, both unable to look at Ford and Ortiz. One of them whispered, "I'm sorry, this isn't right" before leaving the cell.

When Brody at last regained consciousness, it was early evening. Both Ford and Ortiz sat by watching him.

"Wha" he moaned, pain throbbing through his whole body. "Ssh" Ford said, "Lie still Jim, take it easy Buddy, you've been through a hell of a lot".

"Jon I'm scared, I don't know if I can take anymore"; at that he started to cry, tears running down his pale bruised face. "Oh Christ Jim I'm so sorry" Ford cried, taking Brody's shaking body in his arms. "This is all my fault, I should have checked more thoroughly before landing here". Jim continued to tremble in his arms.

"Sir it's not your fault, no-one could have known it was a trap" Ortiz replied, "and you blaming yourself isn't going to help anyone".

Ford knew Ortiz was right; he had to be strong, especially after what Brody had just been through. "Right, Seaquest will have known by now something's up and knowing Captain Bridger he'll have organized a rescue party, just hang in there a little longer Jim ok?"

"Yes Sir" Brody replied; although he was terrified he tried hard not to show it.

Ford was right, at that very moment a rescue party was on its way.

That night the guards came again to the cell; Jim shook his head in utter horror when they came over to him; "Oh God, No! Not again! Please, Not again" he begged. "I'm sorry, we have our orders" one of them replied. They helped him up and he staggered to the door in total despair. Jon and Miguel both pleaded with them not to take him, but to no avail and Jim was again taken down the corridor, although the guards held him more gently this time, trying not to hurt him. He tried not to let on how scared he was.

Again, he was taken to the same room and his heart sunk. How much more could he take of this? He was cuffed against the wall.

The same man came into the room. "Well, have you learnt your lesson Mr. Brody, we don't want a repeat performance, do we".

Jim, swallowing hard, kept quiet, not trusting himself to speak. #Oh God help me# he thought.

Whilst all this was happening the rescue party had reached the spot where they'd lost contact with Ford, Ortiz and Brody. They found the signs of the struggle and were able to see where the two officers and sensor chief had been taken.

Taking great care they breached the walls of the camp and deploying a security team scaled the walls.

Piccolo and Dagwood took out the guard where Ford and Ortiz were being held.

"Thank God, now we have to find Jim before they kill him" Ford said. They had already heard Jim scream out a few times before Piccolo and Dagwood had arrived.

Speaking to the now tied up guard, "You know where they took him right? Now make it easier on yourself and show us" he barked. The guard complied, he'd been utterly sick to the stomach when he'd seen what had been done to their colleague.

"This way" he said leading them down the corridor to the room where Brody was being held. But before he could get them there they heard an absolutely agonizing scream. "Oh Shit! Hurry up!" Ford urged him and they ran as fast as they could towards the sound.

Another scream, and then another happened before they got to the door. "Open it quickly"; rushing in they found Jim hanging unconscious, the man about to inflict even more pain and possibly kill him. Piccolo shot him before he had a chance. They quickly released Jim from his restraints. "Let's get out of here, the rest of the security team can deal with them, we have to get Jim back to the Seaquest as soon as possible". Ford could see that he was in a bad way.

They ran back to the shuttle carrying Brody between them.

When they finally got back to Seaquest they rushed the still unconscious Jim to the Medbay. Ford and Ortiz had to leave him with Wendy whilst they reported to Captain Bridger.

-------------------

It had been over thirty-six hours and Brody still hadn't regained consciousness; the whole crew were deeply worried.

Wendy explained to the senior crew as well as Lucas, Piccolo and Dagwood, that his body had shut down temporarily in order for him to recover, but even she was concerned that he hadn't yet come to.

--------------------

He could hear a voice, insistently calling him, but it seemed such a long way away. It kept calling him, entreating him to come back, come back where? Where was he?

He struggled towards the voice; it was a voice he was sure he knew

"Come on Jim, you can do it, I know you can, come on, we need you to come back to us, squeeze my hand Jim, please squeeze my hand".

His arms felt like lead weights as he tried to move them, but in medbay his hand twitched slightly.

"That's it Jim, I knew you could do it, now open your eyes for me, come on honey".

Eventually his eyes fluttered open and a wonderful sight came into focus.

"Wendy?" he whispered.

"Oh Jim, Thank God! You've come back to us". He lifted his hand in wonderment and touched her soft face.

He didn't notice Captain Bridger standing in the doorway of the medbay.

"Miguel, Jon? Are they..?" "They're fine Jim, don't worry, you've been so brave my love" she said. She saw tears welling up in his eyes. He looked away, embarrassed at this show of emotion. "Don't fight it Jim," she urged. He started to cry openly; "Oh Wendy, I nearly gave in to them, Oh God!" he sobbed. "I came so close to telling them what they wanted to hear".

He felt a hand on his shoulder and looking up saw the Captain. "Oh God Sir, I'm so sorry" he cried. "There's nothing to be sorry about Jim, I'm amazed you held out so long. You're a credit to the Seaquest and I'm proud to have you as my third in command. "Thank you Sir" Brody whispered. He felt completely drained.

"You need to rest now Jim" Wendy said, "but before you do there are two guys who've been camped outside medbay on and off, for most of the time waiting to see you, are you up to it?"

Jim nodded weakly. At that Ford and Ortiz came in. "Hey buddy, how're you doing?" Miguel asked. "Ok Migs" Brody whispered. "Good to see you awake Jim" Ford said, looking relieved.

"Right, that's enough for now" Wendy butted in, "Jim needs to rest now, so skid addle, the pair of you; you can see him tomorrow. They patted him on the shoulder and left.

"I'm thirsty Wendy, can I have some water?" Of course Jim, but sip it slowly ok?"

He sipped at the water, which cooled his parched throat. "Thanks" he whispered.

Wendy got up to leave him to sleep; "Don't go Wendy" he whispered, "Stay with me please, just for a little while". She sat down holding his hand, stroking his hair and forehead gently until he fell asleep.

*

It was a few days before he was able to leave medbay, his legs felt like jelly when he tried to stand up and he had to hold onto Ford in order to walk to his quarters. Wendy had wanted him to stay in medbay longer but he'd begged to leave. "It's driving me crazy lying here doing nothing" he said.

In the meantime Generals Noyce and McGrath boarded the Seaquest in order to discuss the matter with Captain Bridger. They had both been horrified when Bridger had contacted them and wanted to see for themselves the island and the terrorists who had been captured by the security teams.

The terrorists had insisted that they had been within their rights to detain the three men and refuted the claims that Brody had been mis-treated, a fact that appalled the whole of Seaquest. Unfortunately the generals had to comply until the investigation had been completed.

In order to carry out the investigation Brody had to return to the island along with Ford and Ortiz. He was apprehensive, to say the least. Wendy had sensed this and insisted on coming along with the away team.

The three men explained how they had been sent to the island in response to an SOS message sent from that location. They related how they had been captured and then taken to the camp.

They showed the rest of the UEO investigation team the cell in which they'd been placed and then Jim had to show them the two rooms he'd been taken to. All the time Ford stayed very close to his crewmate, who he could see was struggling to keep his emotions in check.

When they were in the second room where Brody had been subjected to the electric shock treatment the UEO officials said it was unfortunate that there was no proof to substantiate his allegations. Bridger rounded on them furiously. "What about his injuries, his testimony, isn't that enough?" Everyone was very quiet. The generals also noted not much emotion coming from Brody, considering where he was.

But Wendy could sense it all churning within him, and while his back was to the door she deliberately slammed it shut. He spun round, an expression of stark terror on his face. He ran to the door shouting "I've gotta get out, let me out of here"; she immediately opened it and he ran straight out with both Ford and Ortiz on his heels.

"Is that enough proof gentlemen?" she spat and turned to check on Brody.

Miguel had managed to grab hold of Jim just outside the door and he and Ford led him to a nearby bench on which he sat, his head in his hands, sobbing uncontrollably, Jon kneeling next to him comforting him. Wendy stood by; "I'm so sorry to have done that to you Jim, but it was the only way to show them how you've been affected by all of this. Please forgive me".

Both the generals were visibly moved on seeing the normally tough officer so distressed. "I just wish we had some concrete proof to nail these bastards," Noyce said.

Just then Piccolo came and whispered something to Captain Bridger. "I think we may have something gentlemen" Bridger said. "One of the guards has come forward but he wishes to remain anonymous, if it comes out he's helped us he knows he could be killed".

"What can he show us?" McGrath demanded.

"Apparently all interrogations are videoed, so we just have to find the copy of Jim's, it should still be in the communications room. The security team went there straight after rescuing the men.

They went to the room with the exception of Ford and Brody; "I'm sorry Sir, I can't, I just can't" Jim choked. "No problem Jim, just stay here with Jonathon" Bridger replied patting his third in command on the shoulder. "You've been through more than enough for one day".

The video of Jim's interrogation was still in the machine and when they played it back all of them felt sick at what they saw.

"My God, no wonder he freaked out when you slammed the door shut Doctor. How on earth did he manage to last as long as he did?" General Noyce wondered.

"He didn't want to let his "family" down, because that's what the Seaquest is to him, his family" Wendy replied. "Now we have to vindicate his trust in us and make sure these thugs are brought to justice and make sure that what happened to Jim will never happen to anyone else".

Later that day after interviewing most of the guards, who had been on duty during his ordeal, the investigating team were able to determine who the ringleaders were. A lot of the guards expressed deep regret at their part in Jim's torture but explained they'd had to follow orders, orders that they'd found totally abhorrent.

A few weeks later, the trial of the ringleaders took place at New Cape Quest.

Due to the overwhelming amount of evidence against them, the Jury unanimously recorded a guilty verdict on all of the ringleaders, without exception and they were given the maximum sentence possible by the judge of twenty-five years hard labour, a sentence which was greeted with huge cheers around the courthouse.

The Judge commended Brody on his total professionalism and bravery during his ordeal and recommended that he be given a medal for bravery by the UEO.

After the trial the two generals held a reception for most of the seaquest personnel aboard the cruiser "Gazelle".

Wendy noticed Jim slipping away and followed him. She found him on the outer deck staring out at the horizon. "You ok Jim?" she asked. "Yeah, just wanted to get away from all of that", he said pointing to the party going on inside. "It's peaceful out here isn't it?" Wendy remarked. "Yeah, I love just looking at the sea and later on when the sun goes down on the horizon it can be the most beautiful sight in the world".

He laughed when he saw Wendy looking incredulously at him; "Hey, I can be philosophical sometimes you know!" Wendy blushed, and he said softly, "a bit of pink in the cheeks suits you". She laughed warmly.

"Do you want to get out of here?" Jim asked suddenly; "Join me for dinner on shore, I don't know about you but I need to get away from all this." "I'd like that Jim" Wendy replied. They slipped away before anyone could notice.

They walked to a little Italian restaurant that Jim knew. They spent most of the evening talking and laughing. Wendy had never seen Jim like this; she'd always thought he was a bit of a ladies man, but she was seeing a different side to him, a side she had to admit to herself she liked. The more she saw, the more she wanted to find out about him. And she hadn't experienced that feeling about anyone for a long time.

Jim had always had a soft spot for Wendy; but after his first encounter with her when she'd seen right through him, he'd shied away from her; however, since his ordeal on the island he'd found himself turning to her more and more. She, more than anyone, had helped him come to terms with what had happened.

They left the restaurant and walked down to the jetty in companionable silence.

When they stopped to look at the boats in the harbour, Jim took a box from his pocket

"Wendy, I…I just wanted to give you this, to….to say thank you for everything, all that you've done for me, you've really helped me"; and leaning over pressed the box into her hands, kissing her softly on the cheek.

"Oh Jim it's beautiful!" Wendy exclaimed when she saw the tiny silver dolphin on a chain nestling in cotton wool. She gave it to him to put around her neck and he couldn't help softly kissing the back of her neck as he put it around her.

She turned around to see such longing in his eyes that it nearly took her breath away, and she lifted her face to his. He pulled her to him kissing her, at first softly and when she didn't pull away he crushed her to him kissing her so passionately and with such intensity that it did take her breath away.

He knew then, that without a doubt he'd found the one he'd been searching for, the one who could make his life complete. He hoped against hope that she felt the same way.

When at last they pulled apart they were both breathing heavily. Jim was dismayed to see tears in Wendy's eyes.

"Oh God Wendy I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you I…"

"You didn't Jim" she replied. "I don't understand, why are you crying?" he asked. "Because I've never felt this way about anyone before", she answered frankly. "Really? Honestly Wendy?" he asked breathlessly. "Yes, really my love", she said softly. He pulled her into his arms, kissing her again and afterwards held her against his chest, stroking her soft hair.

They stayed in each other's arms for a long time, until Jim realized how late it was getting. "I guess we'd better get back to the Seaquest" he said reluctantly.

"Do we have to, don't you have an apartment here?" she asked smiling innocently.

"Are you sure?" " Well it's either that, or the back seat of your trident" she said mischievously. He laughed, "I'm never going to live that down am I".

"The answer to your question is Yes, I am sure Jim but I need to talk to Captain Bridger first, lend me your PAL," she said. Jim gave it to her looking puzzled.

"Doctor Smith to Captain Bridger, please respond". "Bridger here, where are you Wendy and have you seen Jim anywhere, we can't find him". "He's with me Nathan, he needed to get away from all the media attention, and I think it would benefit him to stay at his apartment for tonight, I'll stay here with him and make sure he's alright" she replied, grinning at Brody who stood there shaking his head incredulously.

"Very well Wendy, we'll see you here tomorrow; the rest of the crew are coming back on shore leave so we'll arrange to meet you at say 15.00 hours. Bridger out".

Wendy turned to Jim and taking his hand said "Ok, what are we waiting for, let's go".

They walked hand in hand, Jim still shaking his head in total bemusement. What a woman!

As they walked, Jim noticed Wendy was shivering slightly in the cool evening air, so he slipped off his jacket and put it around her shoulders. She smiled up at him, he put his arm around her and she nestled into his shoulder.

They stopped on the way so that Wendy could pick up a couple of things from the local drugstore and Jim bought a couple of bottles of wine from the liquor store.

When they went into his apartment Jim hurried to put the heating on to warm the place up. They both felt a little uneasy. Jim opened the wine and brought two glasses into the lounge putting them on the coffee table. Sitting down next to her he said, "Listen honey, we don't have to do anything, we can just sit, talk, drink, whatever you want" he said. In response Wendy snuggled up to him and kissed him softly. He smiled and stroked her soft face, staring at her beautiful eyes. They mesmerized him.

Suddenly Wendy stood up; "Jim, I want you to make love to me please" she said breathlessly, holding out her hand. He took it and standing up, pulled her into his arms, smothering her face and neck with soft kisses; then he led her into the bedroom, where they kissed frantically, all the while undressing each other.

Eventually they stood before each other naked, and pulling the covers back Jim swept Wendy into his arms placing her onto the bed, never once taking his eyes off her.

He covered her body with his own, first of all kissing her face and neck, and then, moving down to her breasts, teased her nipples with his tongue until they were little peaks before taking them in his mouth. She cried out in rapture, running her fingers through his hair and down his back.

He carried on, kissing down to the most intimate part of her body, this time massaging her clitoris with his thumb and forefinger. "Oh Jim, Jim, make love to me, please, please" she begged.

He inched himself inside her, marveling at how much he wanted her, and began to make love to her. She arched her back and wrapped her legs around him to give him a deeper penetration, all the time feeling his back and strong muscular arms.

He could feel her writhing in passion beneath him and it wasn't long before she climaxed for the first time, screaming out his name; he helped her to another and then another orgasm before he eventually erupted deep inside her, also crying out her name in ecstasy.

They both lay there for a moment, before looking at each other.

"Oh Wendy, I never knew it could be like this. I…I love you" he choked.

"Oh my darling, I love you too," she cried.

They looked at each other, as if to memorize every part of each other's body, then they kissed softly, Jim putting his arm around Wendy, and she nestling against his chest.

They talked about what had happened in wonderment before falling asleep in each other's arms.

The next morning Jim awoke and looked at the woman lying in his arms, remembering the wonderful night they had just spent together.

Wendy stirred and he kissed her softly, she smiled up at him. "Morning" she whispered; "I wish we could stay here for ever". He laughed lovingly, "I think the Captain might have something to say about that".

"We don't have to get up just yet, do we?" she murmured against him; "I guess not, what did you have in mind?" "Do you have to ask?" she said pulling him over her.

"Oh Wendy" he cried as he took her again.

Their lovemaking took up the rest of the morning, until they reluctantly agreed that they had to get ready to meet the rest of the crew who were on shore leave.

They walked towards the harbour hand in hand.

It was Piccolo who saw them first, and he whistled softly to the others, "Hey guys, check it out". "What is it Tony?" Tim O'Neill asked. "Wow Jon, look" Lonnie said. Ford looked over; "I thought as much," he said. "You knew?" Miguel said. "Put it this way, I had my suspicions, and anyway look at the difference in Jim, he looks so happy, when was the last time you saw him that happy?"

They all stood there looking at Brody who was laughing at something Wendy had said. "I can't remember the last time I heard him laugh like that" Lonnie mused.

All this time Jim and Wendy were completely oblivious of anyone else but each other, and the crew watched as Jim took Wendy in his arms and kissed her.

They jumped apart in shock when Tony shouted "Way to go guys!"

"Oh God, No!" Brody exclaimed as they came over towards them.

"Don't worry Jim" Ford said, putting his hand on his shoulder, none of us are going to say anything, are we guys?" looking forcefully at the rest of the crew.

"Our lips are sealed Sir, aren't they Tony?" Tim said, "And anyway, I think it's really cool guys, congratulations".

The rest of the team surrounded Jim and Wendy offering their own congratulations.

"Right, well we'd better break this up before the Captain hears about it" Ford remarked.

"Hears about what Commander?" Bridger said drily, coming up unseen behind them.

#Oh Shit# thought Brody. Wendy squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"Right, I think it's about time the rest of you were on your way back to the Seaquest. Lieutenant Brody, Doctor Smith, I'd like a word please" Bridger said.

`Sorry Jim', Ford mouthed before leaving with the rest of the crew.

Captain Bridger motioned for Jim and Wendy to follow him; they followed him to a small harbour café. "Sit down please" he said. He asked the waitress for three coffees.

"Sir, before you say anything, this is all my fault, Wendy's completely blameless" Brody blurted out.

"I doubt that very much Lieutenant, you forget I knew her mother" Bridger replied smiling; "and anyway who said anything about blaming anyone?"

"Sir?" Brody asked.

"How long have you two been together?" the Captain asked.

"Since last night Nathan" Wendy answered.

"Well it's about time, how come it took you so long?"

Both Jim and Wendy looked at the Captain incredulously. "You're not angry Sir?" Brody asked. "No Jim, but I'd like to know your plans for the future" Bridger answered.

"Sir, could you give me a couple of minutes with Wendy alone please" Brody asked. "Very well Jim" the Captain replied getting up. "I'll be just outside, call me when you're ready". "Thank you Sir" Jim said.

When he was sure the Captain was out of earshot, Jim took Wendy's hands in his.

"This isn't how I'd planned it, but from the moment I kissed you last night, I knew that I'd found the one woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I know this is too soon to ask and I hope to hell you feel the same way, but Wendy I love you. Will you marry me?"

For a moment Wendy just sat staring at Jim; then she cried, "Oh Yes Jim, Yes I'd love to marry you".

They just sat there holding hands, staring lovingly at each other, until they were brought back down to earth by a discreet cough. They looked up to see Captain Bridger smiling down at them.

"Well, have you made a decision?" he said sitting down.

"Sir, we'd like to get married", Jim said.

"Married?" Bridger asked incredulously. "Wow, you don't waste much time do you, but are you sure you've thought this through, I mean what about your careers, the Seaquest?"

"I hadn't thought about that Sir; but I know in my heart this is what I want more than anything in the world" Brody replied. "Me too Nathan" Wendy whispered.

"Right ok, leave it with me; I take it you both want to stay aboard the Seaquest?" They looked at each other and then nodded silently. "I'm going to go and speak to General Noyce as he's still here at New Cape Quest, and see if we can't figure something out. I can't promise anything but I'll do my best for you; oh and by the way congratulations, the pair of you" he smiled.

"Thank you Sir, and we really appreciate you doing this, don't we honey" Brody said. Wendy nodded; "Yes thank you Nathan".

"I'll see you back at Seaquest" Bridger said shaking Jim's hand and kissing Wendy on the cheek. "Keep it quiet for now from the rest of the crew until I have some definite news".

Jim and Wendy walked silently back to the launch, both lost in thought.

When they got back to Seaquest, Jonathon Ford could see straightaway that something was up. "Is everything ok Jim?" he asked concernedly; "I'm sorry Jon, I can't say anything at the moment, Captain's orders" he explained.

Wendy said "I'm going to medbay, I need to keep myself busy, let me know when Nathan gets back will you". She started to walk away then turned suddenly and flung herself into Jim's arms trembling; he held her tight and whispered "It'll be alright honey, don't worry, it'll be alright". She nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

Jim went to his quarters and changed into a clean uniform; he couldn't believe how much had happened, it seemed almost unreal, in less than twenty-four hours his whole life had changed.

In Medbay Wendy sat thinking the same thing, she was astounded at the way she'd reacted just now, flinging herself into Jim's arms like that, this wasn't the cool calm and collected Doctor Smith that everyone knew, she, who was always so in command of her feelings. But deep down she didn't care about any of that; all she cared about was spending the rest of her life with Jim. She'd never thought she could feel this way about anyone, but here she was completely and helplessly in love, and she too knew she had found the one she'd been subconsciously searching for to make her life complete.

In his quarters Jim had a sudden thought. He bent down and pulling out his footlocker opened it. Nestling on top was a spare of the framed photo of his mother, taken while she'd been on the Seaquest. He looked at the other one, which was on his desk. "Oh Mom" he whispered. He recalled how Wendy had helped his mother remember what had happened to her. He'd never really thanked her for that.

He carried on searching until he found what he was looking for. He opened the tiny box, staring at what it contained, then closed it and put it in his uniform pocket.

In the meantime Captain Bridger was sitting down with General Noyce discussing the situation with him.

"Bill, I know this is a lot to ask, but I want to keep both of them on Seaquest if it's at all possible" he said. "Hell, I don't know Nathan, what if it goes pear shaped, what then?" General Noyce said.

"Trust me Bill, this is going to work, you haven't seen them together, and anyway don't you think the boy deserves a break after all he's been through recently, what with the island business and that coming so soon after what happened with his mother. You know I still don't know how he withstood all that torture; we nearly lost him, just a few more shock treatments and Wendy said he could easily have died, but he just wouldn't give in. We can't afford to lose people like that Bill".

General Noyce sighed deeply; "Yes, You're right Nathan. Ok, it goes against my better judgment, but I think in this case we need to say yes".

Nathan smiled broadly; "Thanks Bill, I really appreciate this. Well I'd better head back and give them the good news".

"Hang on a moment Nathan, don't you think it would be wise to give them some breathing space, say six months or so before they actually get married, make sure they're doing the right thing?".

Nathan thought about this; "I think you've got a point there Bill; although I don't think they'll change their minds, a six month engagement would prepare them and everyone around them".

Just as they were getting up to leave an aide came up to them. "Sirs, we have some disturbing news, one of the ringleaders imprisoned yesterday has escaped on his way to prison. I'm afraid it's the brother of the man who was killed while torturing Lieutenant Brody, and if you recall he openly threatened to kill the Lieutenant".

"Damn!" said Bridger, "I'd better contact Seaquest straightaway".

He took his PAL from his pocket, "Bridger to Ford, please respond".

"Ford here". "Jonathon, where are Jim and Wendy?" "Sir, Wendy is in Medbay and I believe Jim is helping Lucas with some diagnostics".

"Right I want around the clock security on both of them, one of the prisoners has escaped and we believe he's after Jim, make sure you tighten up security around the whole boat".

"Yes Sir". "Right I'm on my way back, Bridger out".

While all this was going on, the escaped prisoner had already managed to get onboard Seaquest and was looking for Jim.

Lucas and Jim were walking back up towards the bridge after finishing their work; Jim could tell that Lucas was a little edgy; "You ok Lucas?" "Yeah, it just feels a little strange Jim, you and Wendy, that's all, not that I don't think it's good or anything" he stammered.

"Hey, it's ok Lucas, I know exactly what you mean, I never in my wildest dreams thought that I'd end up with Wendy".

"You didn't, so why, then?" he asked.

"Hell Lucas, I don't really know, I've always liked Wendy, you know that; all I can say is that when I kissed her last night, I just knew; it was kinda like a thunderbolt you know, there was this woman who'd been in front of me all this time and then whoosh, and I knew I'd found the one, the only one for me. Does that make sense to you?"

"Yeah Jim, wow I hope it happens to me like that". "Hey, you've got plenty of time yet Lucas, don't rush it" Jim said patting him on the shoulder.

Just then Jim's PAL bleeped. "Brody here". "Where are you Jim" Ford asked. "On my way back to the bridge with Lucas, Commander".

"Right, we now have a situation; I don't want to alarm you but one of the prisoners has escaped, and it's believed he's after you. I've detailed security to give you and Wendy twenty-four hour around the clock protection, just to be safe".

"Where's Wendy now?" Jim asked starting to panic; "She's ok Jim, she's in medbay and Security are already on their way to her". Jim heaved a sigh of relief. "Right, is it ok if I go to Medbay, or do you want me to come to the Bridge Sir?" "No Medbay's fine Jim, just keep in regular contact ok". "Yes Sir, Brody out".

"Right Lucas, come on let's get to Medbay, I'll ask one of the security team to walk with you to the Bridge, just to be on the safe side. We can't afford to take any risks".

They started walking swiftly, but as they rounded the corner they were met head on by the escaped prisoner, who had a gun in his hands. "RUN Lucas, quickly!" Brody shouted and turned on his PAL as they backed quickly the way they'd just come, diving into one of the side rooms. Locking the door Jim called on his PAL "Brody to Ford, Commander we're in room 3 on C Deck, the escaped prisoner is outside and he is armed, send security, over". "Are you armed Jim?" "No Sir". "Ok stay there, security is on the way, keep your PAL on".

Jim had already started pulling furniture over to block the door, when it was kicked open to reveal the fugitive. "Down on your knees, NOW! Put your hands behind your heads." They had no choice but to comply, Jim trying to shield Lucas with his body.

He pointed the gun at Jim; "You killed my brother, you son of a bitch and I'm going to make you pay". Jim tried to talk him down, stalling for time; "It wasn't me, if you remember I was chained up at the time". "Doesn't matter, if it wasn't for you, he'd still be alive, so Shut up ok, just Shut up!"

"Hey, there must be a way out of this, no-one has to get hurt" Jim said, desperately trying to think of some way to stop him.

By this time security had arrived and deployed themselves silently by the door ready to take out the fugitive. Brody saw them out of the corner of his eye and shouted "NOW!" at the same time throwing Lucas to the floor and covering him with his body. The security team gunned down the fugitive before he had a chance to shoot.

Jim and Lucas sat up. Lucas started to tremble with shock; Jim held him close, "Hey it's ok Lucas, it's ok".

In the meantime Captain Bridger had arrived at the Launch Bay.

Ford met him. He explained what had happened, and they both ran to C Deck.

The first thing Captain Bridger saw was Lucas in Brody's arms. "Is He ok?" he gasped. "He's fine Sir, just in shock," Brody answered.

"I think you two need to go to Medbay, and get checked out," Bridger said.

In Medbay, Wendy had jumped up when she heard the gunshots; "Oh God!" she cried; "Please God, let him be alright".

When Jim arrived with Lucas and Captain Bridger, she ran straight into his arms.

"Hey, I'm ok, don't worry; but you need to take a look at Lucas, he's had one hell of a shock". Pulling herself together, she tended to Lucas who was still shaking. She gave him a mild sedative to calm him down. She suggested he stay overnight in Medbay, but he could see that the Captain wanted to talk to her and Jim alone, so he refused, saying he'd much rather just go to his cabin. "Thanks Jim, for what you did for me" he said before leaving with Tony who had come to meet him. Jim smiled and hugged him close. He, like most of the crew had a soft spot for Lucas.

"Shall we go into your office Wendy, I think it'll be more comfortable".

When they heard what he had to say, they were both in complete agreement.

"Sir, could you give us a few minutes, there's something I want to talk to Wendy about" Jim asked Bridger. "Sure Jim, I'll be in medbay".

Wendy turned to Jim quizzically; "What is it?" she asked. Jim took the small box from his uniform pocket. Going down on one knee, he said "Wendy, I want you to have this, it was my grandmother's and she told me to give it to the woman I wanted to marry, will you wear it as your engagement ring?"

She opened the box to see a sapphire and diamond ring nestling in tissue paper; her eyes filled with tears, "It's perfect," she whispered.

Standing up, Jim slipped it on her finger. "Now we're official," he said smiling broadly, "and I can shout to the whole world you're going to be my wife".

They went into medbay arm in arm to show Captain Bridger.

Later on that day, many of Jim and Wendy's friends stood in the wardroom, glasses of champagne in their hands, not quite sure why they were there.

Captain Bridger stood up; "Well guys, it's been an eventful few weeks, to say the least and I thought it would be nice to end on a high note. The reason you have champagne is because we have something to celebrate. We are here to celebrate the engagement of Lieutenant James Brody and Doctor Wendy Smith".

At first there was a stunned silence, and then Jon Ford raised his glass and said "Congratulations both of you, it's fantastic news" before walking over and hugging them both. Then they were surrounded by all their friends, and hugged and congratulated.

At the end of the evening, when most of the crew had left, Jim went over to the Captain.

"Sir, I just wanted to say thank you, I really appreciate what you did for us today, it means an awful lot to me personally and I can't speak for Wendy but I'm pretty sure she feels the same way too. I won't let you down Sir, I promise you".

"Thanks Jim, I know you've had a pretty rough time of it recently, but you've come through it with flying colours, and a beautiful woman to boot. She's one in a million, and you're a very lucky man". "I know Sir, believe me I know".

"Well I'd better leave you two lovebirds alone, see you in the morning".

"Goodnight Sir".

Captain Bridger walked to his quarters going over the last few weeks' events in his mind.

He'd been very worried about his usually exuberant third in command.

When they'd come back from the island after he had broken down, a very subdued Jim had sat in the back of the shuttle. He'd been highly embarrassed about his breakdown, and it was Wendy who had sat with him and reassured him, saying it was better to bring his feelings out into the open, rather than bottle them up.

When they'd arrived back at Seaquest, it was obvious that Jim was completely drained, both physically and emotionally. He'd stumbled on leaving the shuttle and would have fallen if Ford hadn't grabbed hold of him. Wendy had insisted there and then that he spend a night in Medbay, so she could keep an eye on him. It was a measure of his exhaustion that he had acquiesced without any argument, just nodding tiredly.

Wendy took him to medbay, dismissed the rest of the staff there, and settled Jim into bed. Within a matter of minutes he was fast asleep.

She walked with Bridger and Ford to the Officers Lounge, where they sat talking. Ford was also feeling down. He felt responsible for what Brody was going through, and he still felt frustrated that he hadn't been able to do anything during their time on the island.

Wendy was in the middle of reassuring him, when she suddenly stopped.

"What is it?" Bridger asked. "Something's wrong with Jim, I have to get back to Medbay."

With that she had started running, they followed quickly.

When they had arrived back at Medbay, it was to find Jim drenched in sweat and in the throes of a nightmare.

When Wendy touched him, he woke up, crying out in sheer terror. She held him in her arms, rocking him gently as he trembled violently, his breathing laboured, talking to him soothingly.

Eventually he stopped shaking, and managed to get his breathing under control. He kept trying to apologize, hugely embarrassed at his complete lack of self-control. Wendy had again reassured him. She'd explained that returning to the island had brought all the memories of his ordeal flooding to the surface, and it was his body's way of dealing with it. She then got him to shower and change into a fresh pair of pyjamas. She gave him something to help him sleep, and insisted on staying with him until he fell asleep again.

Ford and Bridger, who had watched unseen, left her alone with Jim. Ford was deeply worried about his friend, he'd never seen him like this before and it unnerved him. Captain Bridger reminded him that he hadn't yet seen the video of Jim's interrogation, and suggested he watch it. It would help him understand a lot better why this was happening.

By the time Ford had finished watching the tape, he was in tears. God, no wonder Jim had broken down on the island; he could also understand why his friend was having nightmares. He just hoped there was a way he could help him get through this.

Bridger too was concerned; the poor guy had really been through the mill. Hopefully, this was the turning point.

When Bridger went into Medbay the next morning, it was to find Wendy asleep, curled up in a chair next to Jim's bed.

It was following this incident Bridger noticed that whenever Wendy was in the room, Jim would follow her with his eyes. It was obvious to him that his third in command had feelings for Wendy, and he felt deep down that Wendy had too, although he wasn't sure she would admit it. He had been immeasurably pleased when they had told him of their plans. He felt sure they would make a good team, both bringing different attributes to the partnership, and in his heart he felt they would have a good marriage.

It was also reassuring to see Jim back to more or less his old self; that had been apparent when he had instinctively protected Lucas earlier, whilst trying to diffuse the situation with the escaped prisoner.

*

In the wardroom Jim took Wendy in his arms. "Happy?" he asked. "Mmm" Wendy answered, nuzzling his neck. He sighed with pleasure. "You certainly know how to turn a guy on," he said kissing her softly.

They stayed like this for a long time.

"What are you thinking about Jim?" she said.

"How much my life has changed in just two days, it's unbelievable".

"Yes mine too, but I'm so glad" she replied.

"Oh God, me too; you know in a way I'm kinda glad about what happened to me on that island, or we might never have got together, and that scares the hell out of me; I guess it was fate huh?"

"I guess it was," she said softly. "I love you Jim."

"I love you too baby."


The End - for now!