THE NEPTUNE II

By Rickey

Rating: PG

Summary: Ford's ambitions come into question. Lucas confronts his sexuality. The return of William Shan. There are effects of losing ten years of your life.


THE NEPTUNE II
By Rickey


The year is 2033. December. Seaquest bridge. Hudson, Ford, Wolenczak, O'Neill, and Henderson are among those on duty.

O'NEILL
Urgent message coming in from UEO headquarters, captain.

HUDSON
On screen, Lt. O'Neill

O'NEILL
Aye Aye sir.

HUDSON
Good afternoon Secretary General, what can I do for you?

SECRETARY GENERAL MCGATH
We're preparing to launch the upgraded Neptune in two weeks.

HUDSON
So soon, is she ready?

SECRETARY GENERAL MCGATH
With a little help, yes. The new main computer and weaponry systems are based on the Seaquest's but down sized to the Omega Class and I'd like to have Commander Ford and Lieutenant Wolenczak train the bridge crew starting tomorrow for a week. Oh, and my congratulations to Lt. Wolenczak.

Lucas beams with pride. His promotions to Lieutenant -JG had just been announced last week.

HUDSON
(not surprised, but acting miffed)
Is "like" as in "like if possible" or as in"likeI don't have a choice"

SECRETARY GENERAL MCGATH
Like I'll see them both at UEO San Diego base tomorrow morning.

HUDSON
Thanks for the notice. What am I supposed to do without my Commander and Chief Computer Analyst for a week? You're not trying to recruit them areyou?

SECRETARY GENERAL MCGATH
No, No, We've got a captain and full crew. I just need them on short notice since we've moved up the schedule 5 weeks due to the increase in skirmishes along the Macronesian border. I want her out before the new year. We've had the Neptune docked in San Diego the past 2 weeks with crews working around the clock, and I want the best intensive training I can put together. I have three other experts coming in from all over the fleet to handlethe respective upgrades. We need this boat back in the water and herincreased abilities.

HUDSON
Who's the captain?

Ford looks anxious to hear the answer.

SECRETARY GENERAL MCGATH
Michael Devereaux

Hudson and Ford look astonished.

HUDSON
(eyebrows raised) Your giving him the second most powerful boat in the UEO?

SECRETARY GENERAL MCGATH
That's who we wanted. Problem with that?

HUDSON
No, just sounds a bit political.

SECRETARY GENERAL MCGATH
(choosing to ignore Hudson's comment)
I'll see Ford and Wolenczak in my office 0-800 hours.
The transmission fades out.

HUDSON
(turning to Lucas and Ford who have moved up right behind him)
Be ready to leave on a launch in 20 minutes. Looks like the two of you willbe busy this next week.

LUCAS and FORD
Aye Aye Sir.

Lucas and Ford leave the bridge and Hudson turns to follow them out. Ashe passes her Henderson stands to ask him something.

HENDERSON
Sir, if additional trainers are needed, I'd be willing to go.

HUDSON
(extremely annoyed)
I bet you would. Henderson...(deep breath) sometimes you really skate the edge.

HENDERSON
(pouting and sitting back into her station)
Yes sir.

Filler shot of the Seaquest at high speed zooming through the ocean.

Hudson is back in his quarters looking over some paperwork. Knock at the door.

HUDSON
Come in.
Ford enters tentatively.

FORD
Permission to speak frankly, sir.

HUDSON
You want to know why they didn't consider you, don't you.

FORD
Well, (beat) yes.

HUDSON
I think you deserve that boat, but there's got to be some strange politics going on at HQ. Don't get me wrong, Devereaux's good but I don't think he's your caliber.

FORD
Thank you sir, but ...(unwilling to continue)

HUDSON
Just say it. You went to the academy with him, didn't you? I'm sure you know, it's no big secret.

FORD
So you think it's because he's gay.

HUDSON
Maybe. Do you have a problem with this assignment?

FORD
No, Michael was a friend of mine. I'm glad for him. I just feel I've been passed over.

HUDSON
To be honest with you Jonathan, I miss the days of "Don't ask don't tell". I don't feel comfortable with him in a command position.

FORD
You're not serious. What a disaster, the supreme court found military discrimination based on sexual preference unconstitutional in 2008. Don't you think it's better with it being out in the open?

HUDSON
Do you think it's better being passed over because of gay activists lobbying for gay captains?

FORD
I suppose I'm willing to live with it, rather then in secrecy and distrust.

HUDSON
Then why did you come in here?

Pause of silence interrupted by a knock at the door.

HUDSON
Come in.

LUCAS
(To Ford)
Ready to go sir?

FORD
(Still looking at Hudson)
Yes, let's go.

Ford turns and they both exit.

END TEASER

BEGIN ACT I

Ford and Lucas are each carrying a duffel bag entering the launch bay. Henderson rushes up to them.

HENDERSON
(angry)
Were you going to leave without saying good-bye.

LUCAS
I didn't realize I meant so much to you.
Ford and Henderson scowl at Lucas.

LUCAS
(Entering the launch)
I'll wait for you inside commander.

FORD
(With a sensitive yet slightly impatient tone)
Lonnie, It's over. How many times do I have to say it? I don't want to hurt you but this is getting ridiculous.

HENDERSON
Jonathan, I can't accept it. We will be together you just don't realize it now but...

FORD
(interrupting her)
Lonnie, we are NOT compatible. Please for your sake and mine accept it, or we won't be able to work together.

HENDERSON
(pissed off)
You're going to transfer me, is that it?

FORD
I didn't say that. Look you've got a week to think about this. I'm going now.

Ford enters the shuttle and closes the door behind him.

HENDERSON
(Yelling after him)
You just stay on that damn boat then and don't come back. (she begins to cry and runs off to her quarters)

On the shuttle, Ford takes his seat next to Lucas's and they put on their headsets begin to start up for their departures.

FORD
Let's get out of here. (into his headset) Seaquest Launch 4 ready for departure.

The launch exits the Seaquest, and they're on they're way.

LUCAS
Rough day at the office dear?

FORD
Knock it off.

LUCAS
Sorry, but you have to admit she is one crazy chick.

FORD
Chick?

LUCAS
Well maybe they'll be some new hot babe on the Neptune to take your mind off of her.

FORD
Please, Lucas, I don't need love advice from you.

LUCAS
What's that supposed to mean?

FORD
It means I don't want to talk about it anymore.

Next morning Secretary General McGath is escorting them onto the Neptune bridge.

MCGATH
Captain Michael Devereaux, this is Commander Jonathan Ford and Lieutenant Wolenczak of the Seaquest.

DEVEREAUX
(shaking hands) Long time Jonathan, good to see you. (shaking Lucas')Glad to have you here, heard a lot about you.

Michael Devereaux is an attractive dark haired man in his early forties. He stands just over 6 foot and has a strong masculine (military) build.

MCGATH
Well you've got a lot of work to do. I'll get out of your way.

Everyone salutes him and then he departs the bridge.

DEVEREAUX
(addressing the crew man at the door of the bridge) Stafford, please take their bags to the quest quarters. (Turning to Ford and Lucas) I'd like to start right away. Commander Ford this is my first officer Commander Adam Carlin. (They shake hands) If you would start with the weapons operations on Bravo Deck with him and his team Lt. Wolenczak and I can go over the main computer overview here on the bridge with my team. We planned to switch after lunch. Sound good?

FORD
Sounds fine. I'll see you later then.

DEVEREAUX
I figured we'd have lunch to catch up.
Ford smiles and nods.

CARLIN
This way Commander.

Adam Carlin is a rugged looking blonde who's hair is thinning. He's about the same height but a bit heavier than Devereaux. He's about 35 years old and has served with Devereaux on the Dominica for the last 4 years.

Carlin escorts Ford off the bridge and a team of about eight people follow. Devereaux then directs Lucas to the main computer terminal and a team of about eight people take their seats at surrounding terminals

Mess hall 1300 hrs. Devereaux and Lucas are seated with lunch and Ford, Carlin, and a female officer approach with their trays and sit down. She's in her late twenties and part Asian. She has a petite build and stand about 5'5" with pretty black hair to her shoulder. Lucas quickly takes notice of her.

DEVEREAUX
Lt. Wolenczak, I don't believe you met Lt. Grace Wong yet.

LUCAS
Pleased to meet you. (she's sitting directly across from him)

WONG
Likewise. I've heard a lot about your work on the Seaquest. I'll be interested to see what our new computer can do.

LUCAS
A lot more than the outdated Cybernex 2000 system you used to be runningon.

WONG
Actually this my fourth day on the Neptune. I was previously a computer analyst at UEO Headquarters.

FORD
Oh, is this your first sub assignment?

WONG
Yes, I'm pretty excited.

DEVEREAUX
We're glad to have her aboard. She comes highly recommended. She was first in her class at the academy. (Lucas gives her that "I'm impressed"look)

WONG
(blushing) Thank you sir.

DEVEREAUX
Speaking of the Academy, those were fun days weren't they, Jonathan?

FORD
I remember a lot of long hours of studying and exhausting physical training.

DEVEREAUX
No fond memories?

FORD
(smiling) Of course.

LUCAS
Captain Devereaux, you wouldn't happen to have a juicy story or two about Comdr. Ford would you?

DEVEREAUX
I do, but not to share. I'd rather here about some of your new adventures on the Seaquest. Like say, where were you guys for ten years?

CARLIN
Yea that is the fifty-million dollar question. I actually think there's a UEO underground betting pool that's been going on the past year.

FORD
Well I'm sorry to disappoint, but that's classified.

DEVEREAUX
I guess I'll have to live with disappointment.

FORD
I have. (wishing he hadn't said that last remark)

Captain Devereaux stares at Ford and then down at his food. Everyone continues eating in silence.

Hallway. Lucas, Carlin and Wong are walking to the bridge for the afternoon training, while Ford and Devereaux walk in the opposite direction.

FORD
I'm sorry about my remark at lunch. Really, I'm glad you're doing well.

DEVEREAUX
But you and everyone else are wondering why I got the appointment.

FORD
No, that's not it.

DEVEREAUX
Yes it is. But that's okay. I'm out to prove I deserve it.
FORD I hope you do.

DEVEREAUX
Look Jonathan, I know we weren't the best of friends at the academy but I always felt that we respected each other. I hope you'll be of help to me this week. I have a lot of new crew members. Some still on the way. Only a handful of my old crew along with Carlin was also assigned here. I really don't need to have my authority or abilities challenged in front of the new crew. It's hard enough as it is.

FORD
I have no such intentions.

DEVEREAUX
Thank you.

Later that evening Ford and Lucas are settling down in their guest quarters.

LUCAS
I must say I prefer you to a roommate over Piccolo.

FORD
I prefer my own quarters, (smiling) but I suppose I can stand you for a week. Tomorrow we'll run some group simulations in the morning followed by some one on one sessions in the afternoon.

LUCAS
Fine with me. So did you know Capt. Devereaux pretty well at the academy?

FORD
We all got to know each other pretty well.

LUCAS
Is he good?

FORD
Yeah, I suppose. What are you getting at?

LUCAS
Do you think he go the assignment, because of the age thing?

FORD
What age thing?

LUCAS
Well, he's managed to gain ten years on you.

FORD
Oh, you know sometimes I forget about that.

LUCAS
I don't. Do you think that's why you weren't offered the Neptune?

FORD
No, (pauses debates talking to Lucas about this, then decides to go ahead)I think it's because he's gay.

LUCAS
(shocked)Devereaux is gay?

FORD
Does that bother you, Lucas?

LUCAS
(flustered) No...Nah, not really, I don't see how...I don't think so.

FORD
It shouldn't

LUCAS
Does it or did it bother you?

FORD
It was awkward at the academy. There were only a few gay cadets, and I think most were women. I don't have a problem with it.

LUCAS
Oh...but you do think that's why he got the Neptune.

FORD
I'm sorry to say it, but I do. But there's not much I can do about it now except to get them up and running and hope he does a good job.

LUCAS
Look on the bright side, Hudson's bound to retire sometime, you'll get Seaquest instead.

FORD
I hope I don't have to wait that long. Well Lucas, I'm tired. Let's get some sleep.

LUCAS
Good night.
They get into their beds and turn out the light.

Sometime later we see Lucas is dreaming with a smile on his face. He's in a short sleeve & shorts wet suit and is swimming in a coral reef with Darwin. Then in front of him he sees a gorgeous buxom blonde in a hot pink bikini. He follows her along the reef. She swimming away from him but then turns to him. Next they're standing neck high in the water facing each other. A tropical island behind them. She starts unzipping the top of his wet suit. Lucas is looking down at the zipper and then looks to the person infront of him. It's a bare chested Captain Devereaux.

Lucas like a shot, sits up in bed, sweaty and agitated. He looks over at Ford who is sleeping. Somewhat panicked he lies back in bed keeping his eyes open. He then closes his eyes and imagines the blonde back in the water but she quickly becomes Devereaux. He opens his eyes, takes a deep breath and then rolls onto his side.



END ACT I

BEGIN ACT II
Next morning on the bridge. The crew is assembled at their stations and Ford is debriefing them on their simulation performance. Lucas is standing over Wong at her station.

FORD
I think it went well for a first time, however, I would definitely have gone with the plasma lasers rather than torpedoes in that situation. I also think reaction times will get a lot faster as the week progresses and everyone is used to the new computer interface.

DEVEREAUX
Good job everyone. I'd like to see improvement by tomorrow afternoon. Please check the schedule for this afternoon's sessions. (turning to Ford and Lucas) I suppose we should grab something to eat while we can.

FORD
Yea that's fine, I'll catch up in a few minutes. I need to check in with Seaquest.

DEVEREAUX
Sure meet you in the mess.

Ford is now in the guest quarters on a portable terminal talking to O'Neill.

FORD
(upset) You're kidding aren't you.

O'NEILL
Sorry sir, I'm not. She really left. Gave Hudson her resignation last night and was on a launch this morning.

FORD
It's hard to believe.

O'NEILL
She was pretty emotional about the whole thing too. Big scene.

FORD
Well thanks for letting me know. In a way, I'm glad because I just didn't see it getting any better, but I feel like it's my fault.

O'NEILL
She needs help, hopefully now she'll get it.

FORD
Keep me posted if anything big happens OK? Ford out.

O'NEILL
No problem. Seaquest out.

Devereaux, Ford, Lucas, Carlin and Wong are on the bridge getting ready to break off into training sessions when one of the security team walks over to Devereaux.

SEAMAN
Captain, the new Lt. Commander has come aboard and he's on his way to the bridge now, sir.

DEVEREAUX
Thank you. Please see that his quarters are ready for him.

SEAMAN
Aye Aye sir. (he turns and leaves)

A familiar face to Lucas and Ford enters the bridge. He doesn't see them at first as Devereaux walks over to him. They salute each other.

LT. COMMANDER
Captain Devereaux, Lt. Commander William Shan reporting for duty sir.

DEVEREAUX
Welcome aboard. (he turns and motions to Carlin, Wong, Ford, and Lucas) This is Commander Adam Carlin, Lt. Grace Wong and our trainers from Seaquest...

SHAN
(Interrupting politely) I know Commander Ford and Lucas, sir. I served on Seaquest for six months about (pause while staring at Ford and Lucas then continuing with disbelief) 14 years ago .

LUCAS
(smiling) That's Lt. Wolenczak.

Ford and Lucas walk over to Shan.

FORD
(Shaking his hand)Great to see you. I didn't know you were being assigned here, congratulations.

LUCAS
(slapping Shan's shoulder) You look good man.

SHAN
(still staring at Ford and Lucas quizzically) I can't get over it. You both look so young. I heard about it, I just didn't know what to picture.

CARLIN
(approaching Shan) Welcome, I've been looking forward to working with you.

WONG
That goes for me too.

DEVEREAUX
We were about to break up for some training sessions. I don't have you scheduled for a few hours, that way you can set up your quarters.

SHAN
Thank you, sir. (turning to Lucas and Ford) I'll catch up with you later then.

FORD
You bet.

Shan exits.

WONG
(To Lucas) Let's head over to engineering, shall we?

LUCAS
Sure

Wong and Lucas exit the bridge.

DEVEREAUX
Well I'll leave you two to the bridge then. Oh, Commander Ford, I didn't know Shan served on Seaquest that will come in handy.

FORD
Yes, he's an excellent officer and a lot of your main weaponry systems are structured similar to the original Seaquest's. We really haven't changed the architecture much, why mess a good thing.

DEVEREAUX
Indeed. (he turns and leaves)

CARLIN
Well show me your job Commander.

FORD
Sure.

They walk over to the "Commander's station" and Jonathan looks at him like he wants to ask him something.

CARLIN
I'm not gay, If that's what you're wondering. I've served with Capt. Devereaux for 4 years and I've got no problem with it.

FORD
That's not what I was thinking.

CARLIN
It's not?

FORD
OK it was, but it shouldn't have been. It shouldn't make a difference.

CARLIN
But it does, doesn't it. You also think he might have gotten this sub becauseof it. Maybe he is the token gay captain in the UEO, but I think he's an excellent captain and deserved it anyway.

Jonathan simply nods and then begins to show Carlin the station.

At a terminal in Engineering. Lucas is typing away while Wong looks over his shoulder. She's smelling his hair while trying not to let him notice.

LUCAS
Now what I really need to show you are the auxiliary connections. (he rolls back in his chair then sits on the floor under the station motioning for her to join him) See here's the main and here's the auxiliary. (showing her some cables form underneath leading up to the terminal) If you need to re-route power you could do it this way. (pointing)

WONG
I see.

Her face is very close to his and she's extremely nervous. He's oblivious. He tries to stand up but bumps his head and sits back down embarrassed. She smiles and stares at him wantingly. He finally catches on and gulps.

Lucas manages to get himself out from under the station and she stands up next to him. He finds her attractive yet he really doesn't want to get involved in some fling. He thinks about the messes Lonnie has caused over the years.

LUCAS
Well I suppose that's it (trying to blow her off politely) time for the next rotation.

Just then he's saved and the vidlink beeps on the terminal. Wong puts Capt. Devereaux on the screen.

DEVEREAUX
Lt. Wong, please report to the bridge and ask Lt. Wolenczak to meet me in my quarters.

Lucas looks nervous

WONG
Yes, sir. (transmission ends she turns to Lucas) Do you know how to get there?

LUCAS
Yeah I'll be fine .

Lucas heads off and for a minute Grace just watches him go. "Cute" she thinks to herself.

The door the Captain's quarters is open. Devereaux is at his desk and motions for Lucas to come in. Lucas is having difficulties looking Devereaux in the eye.

DEVEREAUX
Well how does this thingy work?

LUCAS
(Confused) What thingy?

Devereaux point to the controls on his desk. Light dawns for Lucas.

LUCAS
Oh, the holographic counselor. I invented that you know.

DEVEREAUX
I know. I've been dying to use it. Just don't know how.

Devereaux makes eye contact with Lucas, who quickly diverts his eyes down to the console. Devereaux senses that Lucas is uncomfortable.

LUCAS
Well you start by turning it on here. (a holographic "professor" appears in front of them) and start the program by flipping this switch.

HOLOGRAPHIC COUNSELING DEVICE (HCD)
Good afternoon Michael, I'm Professor Marchand, it's nice to meet you.

LUCAS If you don't like this guy, it's pretty easy to input any person you'd like.

DEVEREAUX
No, he'll do fine. Now what do I do?

LUCAS
Just talk to it.

DEVEREAUX
Professor I've been wondering about the amount of training my crew will really need for this first voyage?

HCD
Probably more than you envision.

DEVEREAUX
(to Lucas) Well that's profound.

LUCAS
It will become more meaningful if you input more data about yourself and your experiences. Just select "data entry" off the menu here.

Devereaux begins to type at the console.

LUCAS
Well if that will be all, I'd like to catch up with Comdr. Ford.

DEVEREAUX
(Realizing that Lucas wants to go) Yes, thank you, that'll be all.

Lucas leaves.

DEVEREAUX
(to the HCD) That boy is afraid of me.

HCD
He's more afraid of who he might be.

Devereaux looks at the HCD surprised and then nods in affirmation.

Shan and Ford are alone on the bridge

FORD
Plasma lasers?

SHAN
(typing at the terminal) On-line

FORD
Torpedoes?

SHAN
Forward and aft tubes functional.

FORD
Power?

SHAN
Distribution looks good. I'd say she's ready for tomorrow.

FORD
Yep, good thing too, I'm beat. Let's call it a night. (they walk toward the bridge door) She's no Seaquest but she is a great boat.

SHAN
I think so. That's why I took the assignment. How come you're not on her? Couldn't bare to leave the Seaquest?

FORD
They didn't ask me to.

SHAN
Really? Do you think Devereaux got it on political correctness.

FORD
I don't know, maybe.

SHAN
They asked me when they offered me the position if I'd have a problem working for him. I don't think I do. I suppose I'll find out.

FORD
He's lucky to have you. I'd like to steal you for the Seaquest.

SHAN
Just say the word.

FORD
Nah, I wouldn't do that to Michael. You should give it a chance.

SHAN
Ya know, If you want your own boat, you're going to have to speak up forit.

FORD
I know.

SHAN
I bet they'd even give you this one, it they thought they'd lose you. I imagine they're expecting a progress report from you.

FORD
(trying to convince himself as well) I don't think that I could play it that way.

SHAN
Would you leave the Seaquest?

FORD
I suppose. Just with everything I've gone through with the boat, with the crew, It's become such a big part of who I am.

SHAN
This is gonna sound tacky, but I'm thankful I was transferred.

FORD
You should be.

Guest Quarters, Ford is sound asleep.

Lucas is asleep on top of the covers in a T-shirt & boxers. He's dreaming again. He's walking through the halls of the Neptune and hears people talking. He follows the sounds into the Captains quarters. Devereaux is there talking to a hologram. He's professing how much it means to him that he's here. Lucas gets a better look at the hologram and realizes that the image is his own.

He wakes up immediately. He can't stop thinking about what it could mean.

LUCAS
(To himself) This is ridiculous.

Lucas trying to affirm his masculinity, throws on a pair of jeans and heads to Grace Wong's quarters. Ford wakes for a moment when the door closes but instantly falls back to sleep.

Grace gets up from the bed just wearing a long UEO t-shirt to answer the knock. She glances at the clock, 2:10.

WONG
(Quietly from her bed) Who is it?

LUCAS
Lucas Wolenczak.

WONG
Wow (in disbelief to herself, she takes a deep breath and opens the door to let him in) It's the middle of the night, Lieutenant.

LUCAS
(correcting her formality) Lucas, (shutting the door behind him) but you thought I might come?

WONG
I'm surprised, but I'm glad your here.

Grace backs toward the bed and allows Lucas to move in on her.

LUCAS
I want you Grace.

He leans in and begins to kiss her passionately. She responds by taking off his shirt and kissing his neck an chest. He closes his eyes and tilts his head back. They are both caught in the excitement of the moment.

Lucas runs his hand through her hair and pulls her shirt up over her head. They kiss and fall on to the bed. They are kissing and fondling each other for several minutes. Their breathing is low and heavy and he is on top of her. She manages to speak.

WONG
Reach into the top drawer.

He reaches into the top drawer and pulls out a strip of 5 condoms.

LUCAS
Always prepared?

WONG
Always.

They lay on their sides facing each other and she undoes the button and unzips his jeans. He takes them off.

WONG
Hmmm...a boxer man.

LUCAS
Always.

They have hot sweaty sex for fifteen minutes. They both quietly moan. After, they're lying on their backs next to each other.

LUCAS
(thinking to himself) No problem. I was attracted to her. Everything worked fine. (feeling quite pleased)

WONG
(trying to figure out what he's thinking about) Why'd you come here tonight?

LUCAS
I could sense that you wanted me to...and I haven't been with anyone in a while so...

WONG
(cutting him off) Never mind, I don't care. I needed this just as much as you did. Thanks Lucas.

LUCAS
(seductively) Thank you.

They kiss for a minute and then fall to the pillow to rest.

An hour later (the clock reads 3:35) they both turn in toward each other realizing they are each awake.

WONG
How old are you?

LUCAS
That's a tough one.

WONG
Not typically.

LUCAS
Well chronologically I'm thirty-one. Biologically I'm twenty-one.

WONG
Trippy.

LUCAS
And you?

WONG
28...What happened to you. Is it really classified?

LUCAS
No, It's really not anything. The UEO decided that they didn't want it documented at all. That way anything ever said could never be confirmed.

WONG
So you could tell me?

LUCAS
But then I'd have to kill you.

They both laugh a little.

WONG
Come on. If you can sleep with me you can at least tell me why I feel like I'm robbing the cradle.

LUCAS
Seaquest was transported to the planet Hyperion to help fight a planetary civil war. (he looks to her to see her amazed reaction beforecontinuing) We didn't fare so well. Most of the crew died there. Just a few of us were transported back along with the Seaquest about a year and a half ago.

WONG
Whoa. I figured it would have to be something pretty incredible, but whoa...What else?

LUCAS
That's it. I don't remember.

WONG
Nothing else?

LUCAS
Just that I was frightened out of my mind.

WONG
What about the others?

LUCAS
Hardly any memory at all.

WONG
Is that why Bridger retired?

LUCAS
Partly, but the main reason what that he found his grandson left the UEO to find his son.

WONG
Did he find him?

LUCAS
Yeah, they're living on his island. I met him a few months ago.

WONG
So you're pretty close with Bridger?

LUCAS
He's like a father to me. Hey, what about you? Family?

WONG
Two older brothers, both in the UEO. My parents died in a plane crash when I was 14 and my oldest brother, Carl, raised me until I went to the academy at 17.

LUCAS
At least you had your brothers.

WONG
Yeah, we're quite close.

They both look at each other with tired eyes. Lucas leans over and kisses her nose and they fall back to sleep.



END ACT II

ACT III


Half an hour later (the clock reads 4:45). Lucas wakes up and is putting his jeans on when she half wakes up and sees him. P> WONG
So that's it, huh?

LUCAS
Yep. Got to get up early. We've got a big day ahead. First voyage.

WONG
No strings Lucas, don't stress.

LUCAS
Thanks.

He's dressed and heads to the door.

LUCAS
Say good night Gracie.

WONG
Good night Gracie.

He leaves.

7:00 AM. The Neptune bridge crew along with Ford and Lucas are assembled for trial voyage.

CARLIN
Ready to go captain,

DEVEREAUX
I think Hawaii is nice this time of year. Lt. Comdr.. Shan plot a course for the big Island.

SHAN
(happily) Aye Aye Sir.

DEVEREAUX
All ahead full.

CARLIN
All ahead full.

SHAN
(affirming) All ahead full, sir.

FORD
(To Devereaux) Hawaii, any particular reason?

DEVEREAUX
I feel like getting laid. (most of the crew chuckles at this) Lt. Wong, what's the status of the fusion core?

WONG
Currently running at 50% capacity.

DEVEREAUX
Well congratulations everyone, we're successfully on our way.

Caption: 2 hours later.

HELMSMAN
We're approaching the outskirts of the Hawaiian islands, Sir.

DEVEREAUX
(To Sensor Chief) Scan the area, not that I'm expecting anyth...

There is a moderate crash to the Neptune with a small explosion sound.

Lucas, Ford and Devereaux are the only one's not seated at a station and they go flying across the bridge. Lucas lands on top of Devereaux and Ford a few feet away. They're all a bit shaken but physically OK.

HELMSMAN
What the hell was that?

SENSOR CHIEF
Depth charge, (confused) I think.

DEVEREAUX
(mad) Lt. Wolenczak, are you all right?

LUCAS
(disoriented at first then clearly spooked by the fact that he's lying face down across Devereaux' chest) I, I think so.

DEVEREAUX
Then get the hell off of me.

Lucas (embarrassed) scrambles to his feet as does Ford and Devereaux.

DEVEREAUX
Lt. Comdr.. Shan, damage report.

SHAN
Superficial hull damage at the front and some minor messes being reported.

DEVEREAUX
Bring us down below those depth charges.

SHAN
Aye, aye, sir. Neptune diving.

DEVEREAUX
Down 500 FT then hold her there.

SENSOR CHIEF
That charge was extremely small, sir. Most likely a warning device.

DEVEREAUX
To who? Any body out there?

SENSOR CHIEF
I'm not getting anything.

DEVEREAUX
Great, mystical stray mines along the Hawaiian coast.

WONG
There's a small island just off to the south west of us sir. It's supposed to be uninhabited but I'm picking up major technology and human life forms, sir.

DEVEREAUX
How many people, would you say?

WONG
Maybe 50.

CARLIN
Do you think maybe drug traffic?

WONG
Not with the telecom readings I'm getting.

LUCAS
(now typing away at a terminal) I have no record of any UEO or commercial Hawaiian industry setting up any link sites there. As far as I can tell that island is supposed to be an ecological refuge.

CARLIN
(to Devereaux) You don't think that someone actually set up a spy outpost in our borders?

FORD
Macronesians, gotta be.

DEVEREAUX
Unbelievable.

CARLIN
How the hell did they get there?

DEVEREAUX
Never mind the spilt milk. Comdr.. Ford, I'd like for you and Lt. Comdr.. Shan to take Ensign Holly (big guy) and Security Chief Mercadante (even bigger guy) on a launch and take a quiet look around.

FORD
No problem, sir.

The four men exit. Carlin seems displeased to not have been chosen for action.

DEVEREAUX
(to the bridge crew) Well get to work all of you. I want to know what we've got on our hands here. No where to land a plane so there's got to be a boat somewhere, find it.

Everyone becomes busy at their stations.

Ford and his team are next seen walking from the launch on a small beach. They head into some trees where Ford who's in the lead is jumped by a Macronesionon patrol. Shan karate punches the patrolman who is knocked to the ground. Ford grabs him by the neck and stands him up. Holly takes the patrolman's gun and communicator.

FORD
(still holding the man by the neck) Who are you and where are the restofyou?

PATROLMAN
Go to hell.

FORD
Last chance.

The patrolman stares at Ford square in the eyes says nothing. Ford throws him back to the ground by his neck.

SHAN
Ensign Holly, take him down to the launch and hold him there, quietly. Give the Neptune an update.

Holly has the patrolman under his gun and escorts him away.

On the Neptune bridge.

HOLLY
(he's on the vidlink from the launch) He's not talking at all sir.

DEVEREAUX
No, surprise. Hold him there, I'm sending in some muscle. (beat) Comdr.. Carlin assemble a strike team of 30 people and get to the beach andawait my orders.

CARLIN
(Excited to get some action) Aye Aye sir.

Ford, Shan and Mercadante continue on through the trees until they reach the edge of what's a fairly large spy outpost. There's close to 50 people and several tents with heavy telecommunications equipment.

FORD
Into his PAL. Ford to Neptune. (beat) We're at the main outpost. It's pretty big. At least 50 people. There are a few Macronesian uniforms.

Cut to bridge

DEVEREAUX
Pull back to the beach. I have Carlin coming with a strike team.

FORD
Yes sir. (beat) What's your plan.

DEVEREAUX
(annoyed) Working on it Commander.

FORD
We don't have long. They're bound to figure out we're here, if they don't already.

DEVEREAUX
Meet Carlin at the beach and I'll get back to you. Neptune out.

LUCAS
(to Devereaux) Shall I contact Seaquest, Captain, she's not that far from here.

DEVEREAUX
(cocky) I think we can handle this.

LUCAS
Just to keep them apprised, sir.

The crew nervously watches Devereaux for his answer.

DEVEREAUX
(giving in) Fine, If you'd like to, go ahead. Only don't classify it as an emergency. If they happen to be in the area, they can back us up.

Cut to Shan and Ford on the beach.

SHAN
Do you think Devereaux knows what he's doing.

FORD
No, I think we might be sitting ducks here. I'd really like to try to sneak into that base and plant some charges.

SHAN
You know it's not mutiny if you're not on the boat.

FORD
(considering what Shan says for a moment, then deciding) Yes it is.

Cut to Lucas vidlinked with the Seaquest

LUCAS
(into his vidlink screen) Tim, can you get me Capt. Hudson?

O'NEILL
Sure, (over the intercom) Captain to the bridge, (to Lucas) What's going on? You sound nervous.

LUCAS
You won't believe this one.

Hudson walks into the bridge. O'Neill turns to him.

O'NEILL
I've got Lucas on the line, sounds urgent.

HUDSON
Put him on the screen.

LUCAS
We've got a situation here, Captain.

HUDSON
You're in the water, what, 2 hours? What is it with you?

LUCAS
Not me sir, the Macronesian spies. Fifty of em' in a huge telecom outpost.

HUDSON
Where?

LUCAS
Hawaii, sir. I'm transferring coordinates now.

HUDSON
(agitated) Hawaii? Where the hell is Devereaux?

O'NEILL
(sarcastically) Aloha.

Hudson gives Tim a quick "shut up" look.

LUCAS
He said I could call you on my own accord, but he didn't seem like...

Hudson cuts him off.

HUDSON
(Ticked off) I get it. Trying to make an impression. Well he should be thankful that you called us. I'd say he's in way over his head. (to O'Neill) Got the coordinates?

O'NEILL
Yes sir, transferring to the helm.

PICCOLO
Got em' sir, we can be there in 20 minutes.

HUDSON
(to Piccolo) Do it, (to Lucas) What else can you tell us?

LUCAS
Ford and a small group are on the island checking it out. Devereaux has ordered up an assault team of 30 or so. Carlin just left the launch bay with them.

HUDSON
Any ideas how the Macronesians got there?

LUCAS
Our best guess is they've got a boat docked somewhere, only, if they're not operational, it's going to be hard to find. We're looking.

HUDSON
Well keep me posted as to how it's progressing. Check in every 15 minutes. Sounds like a time bomb.

LUCAS
Aye aye sir, Neptune out.



END ACT III

BEGIN ACT IV


Lucas and the bridge crew continue scanning the area.

WONG
I've got something, Captain. I think it's their boat...not their typical war sub, it's stripped down for speed I suppose. It's on the other side of the island.

DEVEREAUX
(to Helmsman) Set a course to intercept. (leaning into a microphone) Carlin? Your men in position?

CARLIN (wearing a headset)
(on the beach with his men) Aye sir, I've caught up with Comdr.. Ford and we're waiting on your mark.

DEVEREAUX
Assemble just outside the base camp while I give them a chance to abandon the camp.

FORD
(into his own headset) We might miss the element of surprise, it may be better not to wait.

DEVEREAUX
Wait (as a command), I'd like to try and do this without a fight.

Cut to Lucas talking to Seaquest on a vidlink in the background.

LUCAS
We've got their sub. Here's the coordinates. I think it's gonna get messy.

Cut to Seaquest bridge

HUDSON
(To Piccolo) Intercept that Macronesian sub, Mr. Piccolo.

PICCOLO
We're there in 5 minutes sir.

Cut to Devereaux on the Neptune bridge

DEVEREAUX
(to the communications officer) Hail the Macronesians.

COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
They're responding, captain.

DEVEREAUX
Put them on.(Captain Campion appears on the screen not in any uniform) This is Captain Devereaux of the UEO Neptune. You are in flagrant violationof our borders. CAMPION I think there's a misunderstanding, Captain Devereaux, we're geological students from the University of Hawaii. We're conducting surveys of thearea. DEVEREAUX (smug) Fifty of you, with a billion dollars of telecom equipment and Macronesian sub? I suggest you abandon your camp and evacuate immediately.

CAMPION
(changing to a more commanding demeanor) I'm Captain Campion of the Macronesianalliance and I'll need 3 hours.

DEVEREAUX
You have ten minutes, we have you surrounded and my men are moving in.

CAMPION
(frustrated) I'm moving as fast as I can.

Macronesians disconnect the vidlink.

DEVEREAUX
(into intercom) Commander Carlin, Commander Ford, move in.

The strike team is surrounding the perimeter of the camp. They wearing gas masks. Ford and Carlin give signal to head in. Tear gas is released and some minor fighting breaks out. The Macronesians run for the sub

Cut to Neptune Bridge

COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Macronesian sub is hailing us sir.

DEVEREAUX
On screen.

CAMPION
We're leaving, let us go.

Devereaux looks to Lucas who turns his vidlink showing Hudson to him.

DEVEREAUX
Fine, allow the Seaquest to escort you to Macronesian borders.

Campion stares angrily at Devereaux then disconnects the vidlink.

Ocean shot of Seaquest following the Macronesian sub.

Launch bay several hours later. Ford and Neptune crew are bringing retrieved equipment.

DEVEREAUX
I feel like a pirate with all this booty.

FORD
(Complimenting) Not bad for your first unscheduled mission.

DEVEREAUX
I say we call it a day and head back to UEO HQ. Seaquest is following them out to the Macronesian border.

Cut to guest quarters later that evening. Lucas has decided to not even try to attempt sleep and quietly goes to the door thinking that Jonathan is already out like a light.

FORD
(awake) Going out, again?

LUCAS
I can't sleep.

FORD
Since you've been here. Lucas be careful getting involved with other UEO officers, take it from me, I know.

LUCAS
It's not that at all. Everything's cool.

FORD
Then what is it.

LUCAS
I'm sorry sir, but I really don't feel comfortable talking to you about this.

FORD
We've been to Hyperion and back together, you don't trust me?

LUCAS
Trust isn't the issue. You're my superior officer.

FORD
I'd like to think that I'm a friend too.

LUCAS
I'm sorry, you are, but there's a line I'd rather not cross.

FORD
You could cross it with Bridger.

LUCAS
Different time, different place.

And with that said Ford turns his head away and Lucas exits the guest quarters. He heads down the corridor to Grace Wong's quarters and taps at the door. She was expecting him this time and is in a sheer jade green negligee when she opens the door for him.

LUCAS
(sarcastically) Expecting someone?

WONG
(playing it up) Yes, He'll be here any minute so you'd better make it fast.

LUCAS
(smug) My specialty.

They both giggle for a minute before they end up lip locked on the bed. Lucas pauses. She looks at him curiously.

LUCAS
(seriously)

I'm taking advantage of you. I shouldn't be.

WONG
I don't care.

LUCAS
But you will.

WONG
Then what is it?

LUCAS
I'm going to trust you, so don't let me down.

WONG
My specialty.

LUCAS
Do you like Capt. Devereaux?

WONG
Yeah, from what I can tell. I had only met him briefly once before I joined this crew.

LUCAS
Do you know he's gay?

WONG
Yes. No big deal.

LUCAS
It's making me nervous to be around him.

WONG
Are you homophobic?

LUCAS
Not that I know of, I mean I've never really ever known anyone who was gay. And lately

WONG
What?

LUCAS
I've been having these dreams

WONG
(extremely curious) What kind of dreams?

LUCAS
He's in them.

WONG
Are you having sex with him?

LUCAS
(defensively) NO, god no. He's just sort of there looking at me. Gives me the creeps. I can't sleep.

WONG
Gives you the creeps because you don't like it or because you do?

LUCAS
I don't know.

WONG
Is that why you came here?

LUCAS
Partly, but I do like you. I have no idea what to do.

Wong hugs him close.

WONG
Nothing. Just because you have a homo-erotic dream, does not mean you're gay. I bet most men will have one at sometime in their life.

LUCAS
I don't usually think of myself as most men.

WONG
(sharply) Get over yourself, Lucas.

LUCAS
(defensive) What's that supposed to mean?

WONG
(warmly) You take yourself way too seriously. (she sits on top of him) Now shut up and fuck me.

LUCAS
(contemplates the situation for a moment and then grabs her head pulling it to his and begins to kiss her) No strings? (mid-kiss)

WONG
I don't sew.

Next morning the Neptune is docked at UEO HQ. Ford is in McGath's office.

Talking about the Hawaii incident.

MCGATH
I'd say you were lucky to stumble on to them.

FORD
Sure, but Captain Devereaux did do a good job. And we confiscated all their equipment.

MCGATH
I have a team analyzing their systems now. Not bad for a training mission.

FORD
It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next three days of training.

MCGATH
Can't wait, you and Wolenczak are to head back to Seaquest tonight. Got to put that boat out now.

FORD
I don't know if they're ready

MCGATH
As ready as you guys were when you got back form Hyperion and we had you out the same day.

Ford nods as the scene fades out.



END ACT IV

BEGIN ACT V


Lucas taps on Grace Wong's open door. She turns her face and they stare sadly at each other.

LUCAS
I'm leaving for the Seaquest. (Shutting the door behind him)

WONG
I heard.

LUCAS
I'm glad I met you. I'd like to keep in touch.

WONG
(matter of fact) I doubt we will.

LUCAS
(assuringly) We will. That's just the type of people we are. It meant something to me. I don't regret it, even if it was against my better judgment.

WONG
(quoting) Your soul is oftentimes a battlefield, upon which your reason and your judgment wage war against your passion and your appetite.

LUCAS
(siting her source) Gibran.

WONG
(Astonished) I can't believe you know that.

LUCAS
I'm not just a techno-nerd. I do read.

WONG
Early 20th century poetry?

LUCAS
The Prophet, 1923, it's a classic.

WONG
You get what I'm saying then?

LUCAS
(sincerely) I do.

He leans over and kisses her lightly on the cheek, then whispers "bye Gracie" in her ear.

Cut to launch bay. Ford is talking with Devereaux, Carlin, and Shan.

FORD
Good luck, although I doubt you'll need it.

DEVEREAUX
I'll take it anyway. Thanks for all your help.

CARLIN
It was good to meet you. The Seaquest is lucky to have you.

FORD
Thanks. You've got a great boat here.

SHAN
It was good to see you again, man.

FORD
You too. Try not to get into too much trouble.

Lucas enters the launch bay carrying his duffel bag.

LUCAS
(To Ford) All set Commander.

DEVEREAUX
It was good working with you Lieutenant, thanks for all your help.

LUCAS
You did great, sir. Just call if that holographic counselor acts up on you.

SHAN
(giving Lucas a pat on the back) I can't get over it, Lt. Wolenczak, I never thought you'd wear a uniform.

LUCAS
Well things change.

FORD
That they do.

DEVEREAUX
(To Lucas & Ford) Tell Captain Hudson I appreciated the loan.

Lucas and Ford enter the launch and are preparing for departure

FORD
(taking his seat and flipping a few switches) Shutting the launch door.

LUCAS
(taking his seat) Ready when you are Commander.

FORD
(into intercom) Neptune, Seaquest launch ready for departure.

COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
(over intercom) Launch clear for departure.

FORD
(looking at Lucas) Hell of a couple of days, huh?

LUCAS
(with a sappy optimistic look on his face) Yeah, but every cloud has a silver lining.

Ford gives Lucas a "what the hell are you talking about" look. Lucas takes a deep breath, leans back in his seat placing his hand behind his head. Ford figures it out, rolls his eyes and fires up the launch. They take off from the Neptune and are underway.

FORD
(with a serious look) Lucas, I just want you to know that you could come to me if you wanted to.

LUCAS
(matter of fact) Thank you sir, I appreciate it.

FORD
(his tone softening) No, seriously, I've been realizing some things about us lately. The crew of the Seaquest, I mean the few who came back from Hyperion.

LUCAS
(Intrigued) What about us?

FORD
We gave so much of our lives. We've lost our families and our friends. We're not the people we left as, and yet we are. (confused himself) Am I making any sense?

LUCAS
(Understanding) Yes, you are. (beat) Look I'm sorry I didn't want to confide in you. I know what you're going through. The few of us that are left on the Seaquest, we're it.

FORD
(With difficulty) I think that's why I reached out to Lonnie. We had that in common, but it wasn't enough. Still I can't imagine connecting with anyone who wasn't there. I think when Brody died it hit me the hardest. And seeing Shan this week, it really reminded me of how much I sacrificed. It reminded me of how attached to the Seaquest I've become. It's the only constant in my life. It's my family.

LUCAS
It's the only family I've ever truly belonged to.

FORD
(with resolve) I think it may be the only family that I ever have.

LUCAS
Me too.

FORD
I feel bad that Lonnie left, but I'm relieved. I can't imagine what she'll do.

LUCAS
She'll be fine. We all will.

Ford and Lucas smile softly at each other and become pensive for a moment.

FORD
(Into his headset, breaking the tension) Seaquest, this is Comdr. Ford and Lt. Wolenczak, we're on our way home.


Ending shot of launch in the water heading away from the Neptune.



END CREDITS


Disclaimer: Yada Yada Yada- I know these characters are not mine, It's fanfiction- story copyright by me - İRFA 1997