Title: The Act of Mating

Author(s): Kat and Mermaid

Fandom: SeaQuest - season 3

Pairing: Lucas Wolenczak and Alexia Collington

Archive: Yes, just ask us first, please!

Summary: As Lucas prepares for his nuptuals, one wild night brings revelations...

Series/Sequel: Part of the Lucas and Lexi series archived at WWOMB and the Bookcase.

Rating: R - a few naughty words and some adult scenes

Disclaimer: We do not expect any reimbursement for this fic. Amblin owns the seaQuest and her crew, the authors own all other characters. If you're nice we may lend you the twins, though...

Parts of the song "The Bad Touch" are used without permission. That belongs to the Bloodhound Gang, copyright 2000.

As usual I am completely indebted to Margaret. Thanks Mags! Thanks to Ki and Jen for their comments and sugestions.



The Act of Mating
By Kat and Mermaid


Ha Ha! Well now, we call this the act of mating
But there are several other very important differences
Between human beings and animals that you should know about...



Tim leaned lazily against the lamp-post, rubbing his tired eyes. In the age-old tradition of batchelor parties they were starting an "all-nighter", and had just left their fourth bar.

"C'mon Tim, ya can't fade on us now. I have a feeling that things are gonna start to get very interesting at this next place," Tony said, and the slightly tipsy warrant officer reached out and yanked the comm officer towards him. Tim almost swayed back against the lamppost, but then, he staggered a bit, tried to smother an inhibited burp and then fell into step with the others.

"Scuze me."

Shaking his head Lucas turned and gave them a lopsided grin. He was having the time of his life! Lucas had downed four beers already, and the usually abstemious computer genius was definitely feeling no pain. He shuffled along behind his pals, weaving slightly, and almost bumped into Nick as the group paused on the curb, waiting to cross the street.

A smile played on his lips as he recalled their last stop and the entertainment his shipmates had arranged for him there. With his thoughts pleasantly distracted, he was quite unprepared for Tony's exuberant slap on the back as he said,

"How ya doin' bud?," and nearly sent the young man flying head first into the parked car beside their crossing on the busy street.

"Whoa, easy guys!" exclaimed Nick. He reached out and steadied Lucas, who was staggering. The computer executive gave his old friend a ribald grin. It had been a pleasant surprise when Lucas had called him and Juliana to tell them he was finally tying the knot with Lexi. Lucas had been his best man when Nick and Juliana had married a year ago.

"We gotta keep the groom in one piece - the bride would never forgive us!"

"We gotta get together more often, you and Juliana, and me and Lexi."

Lucas laughed, then he tripped and caught at Nick's arm for balance, muttering thanks as he watched the lights of the cars speeding down the road that they were about to cross. The group stood there for a moment, checking out the people who were hanging around the club. The sound of pulsating dance music drifted out to them as the bouncers opened and closed the doors for patrons.

Glancing at his wristwatch, he asked, "What time are we supposed to meet the girls?"

"Juliana said they should end up at 'Sizzlers' around 2400. " Nick replied. He sounded just a little worried, now that he could see the club.

"Well, its half-past now, guys. We're late!" replied Lucas, as he started to make his way carefully across the street.

"So what's on the agenda, Tony?" muttered Tim quietly, while the bouncer shone a flashlight on their UEO IDs before beckoning them inside.

Tony laughed, then pulled the comm officer closer. In an effort to be heard over the ear-splitting music, he spoke directly into Tim's ear, "I'm not sure of all the details, but Ravyn's got somethin' planned for Lexi. It should be going off any minute now." He smiled dreamily. Tony had a secret crush on Lexi's oldest friend. The tall, dark brunette was the sexiest thing in a skirt he'd ever seen. One glance from those smoky brown eyes was enough to melt him on the spot.

"Ravyn set this up? Uh oh. Does Lucas know anything about this?" asked Tim, he was following closely behind Tony as they squeezed their way through the crowd and found a spot at the bar.

Tony just shrugged. "Hey, do you see the girls anywhere?"

"Yeah," said Tim, pointing to the crowded dance floor, where Lonnie, Juliana, Ravyn and Lexi were moving to the pounding beat of the music with the other gyrating bodies.

Lucas emerged from the men's room and moved into the crowd. He exhaled deeply, then ran a hand through his hair, scanning the sea of bodies out on the dance floor, looking for Lexi and her friends. The kaleidoscopic light show coupled with the pounding beat of the dance music was beginning to give him a headache.

As if sensing his presence, Lexi glanced over in his direction and waved. She leaned close to Juliana, whispering something in her friend's ear, then turned and started to make her way through the moving throng. They met halfway.

Lucas took her hand and led her over to the bar. Shouting over the din, he asked her,

"What do you want to drink?" motioning with his hands to get the point across. The bar tender looked at them expectantly for a moment, then nodded as she pointed to the Guiness tap.

She started to say something, but gave a smile and a shrug when she realized that he couldn't hear a word. Then, mercifully, the volume of the music was lowered. Suddenly, they heard the DJ's voice ring out,

"Is there a Miss Alexia Collington here tonight? A Lieutenant Collinton?"

Chewing on a match, Tony twisted around on his barstool.

"Hey, they're lookin' for ya - what'd ya do?" he asked, throwing her an amused look, then he tensed as two large, well muscled, blonde Military Policemen slowly approached her from behind.

Unsure of what was happening, Lucas called out to her,

"Lexi!" The warning tone of his voice immediately caught her attention. Then he noticed that Ravyn had appeared and was now standing behind Lexi and the MPs, unable to conceal the devilish grin on her face. Blue eyes met brown and he knew instantly that Lexi was about to be set up.

Lucas tried desperately to get his fiance's attention, but he found himself pushed further away as more people gathered around the bar to watch what was happening. He could only stand helplessly as the scene unfolded in front of him. Lexi's female friends subtly converged and formed a tight group around her, clearly involved in whatever was to take place.

The unsuspecting bride felt a heavy tap on her shoulder.

"Lieutenant Collington?" came a rough voice, as she turned and came face-to-face with the two very handsome MPs.

"Yes, I'm Lieutenant Collington," she replied, puzzled at their sudden appearance and unaware that Lonnie, Juliana and Ravyn were standing nearby, throwing one another conspiratorial looks.

Lonnie, reached over and nudged Tim, who in turn discreetly passed her a small hand-held picture disc recorder.

"I hope you've left me enough battery power," she muttered under her breath, as she moved away and positioned herself, ready to record the show for posterity.

Tony gave an evil grin as he turned to Tim, saying,

"Think they'd get upset if we showed some of tonight's footage at the wedding reception?"

Taking another sip of his beer, the Comm Officer replied,

"You really don't want to live into old age, do you, Tony?"

Meanwhile, in the hot seat, Lexi nervously asked,

"Is there a problem, gentlemen?" as she quickly racked her brain, trying to think of anything she might have done to get picked up by MPs.

"This has got to be a mistake," she reasoned to herself, "its got to be Piccolo they've come for - not me."

It was about then that two things occurred to her. Number one: she had never seen MPs that looked as good as these two, and two: they were twins!

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Ravyn staring at her, grinning wickedly. Then, the music changed. Starting to back up against the bar in mock horror, Lexi recognized the sound of the pulsating dance tune that the DJ had just started. It was an old 90's tune called, "The Bad Touch."

There was no escape! The two MPs each quickly took one of her hands and led her out to the middle of the dance floor.

"I'd appreciate your input......"

At that cue, they each ripped their uniform shirts open, exposing their well muscled chests.

"OH MY GOD," murmured Lexi, feeling herself blush profusely as they gyrated in front of her. In shock now, she reached out a hand towards her fiance. Without missing a beat, Tony leaned forward and handed her another drink. put his untouched drink into her reaching hand. Without missing a beat, she Lexi tilted the glass to her mouth; her eyes widened for a moment as she tasted whiskey, feeling it burn its way down her throat, but she did not look away from the two scantily clad men while they continued their strip tease.

Lexi shook her head, "This can't be happening...its got to be a nightmare!" The comments and cat-calls of her friends seemed to be coming from far away, and she could feel the blush rise flaming across her cheeks.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and counted to ten,

"Okay, get yourself together and look like you're having fun, smile..."

When she opened her eyes again, Lexi caught a brief glimpse of Lucas, as he seemed to be fighting his way through the tight crowd. She could tell from the murderous looks he was throwing at Ravyn that her fiance was not happy. Something about his expression began to annoy her, then, as he turned his head, she saw what looked like a lipstick smear on his neck! With Tony in charge of Lucas' bachelor party, she could just imagine what kind of entertainment he had planned for the evening and what they had been doing all night.

" What's good for the goose is good for the gander! Too bad, Lucas. You had your fun, now it's my turn!"

Lexi flashed the stripper in front of her a wicked grin as the nicely built blonde turned away, teasingly bent over, and proceeded to spank his own ass in time to the beat. Then, he straightened up, turned back and moved his hips seductively, running his hands down his bare chest.

Not to be outdone, his brother gyrated over to her. Taking her hand in his, he gestured for her to pull down his trouser zipper. Raising an eyebrow and staring into the dancer's eyes, Lexi swallowed dryly.

"Oh, what the hell," she thought, ignoring the dark look on Lucas' face as he glared across the room at her. Smiling sheepishly she gave the zipper a tug, and felt a moment of dizzy disbelief as he erotically squirmed out of the skin tight trousers, only to reveal a very skimpy leopard skin patterned g-string.

Some of the men were watching in jealous fascination as the women screamed, laughed and cheered him on. Laughing, Tony picked up his digital camera.

"Hey Tony, taking pictures of guys?" yelled Nick over the loud music.

"No, smart ass, I'm takin' a picture of your wife and Lonnie crawling over the bar to get to those guys!"

Seeing the blank look on Nick's face, Tony pointed,

"Look!" At the lower end of the long bar, Lonnie and Juliana were pushing and jostling against the other women to get closer to the strippers.

In the meantime, Lucas had been able to find a spot next to Tim, and was staring in disbelief as he watched Lexi 'dirty-dancing', erotically sandwiched between the two fake MPs. What really irritated him most was the fact that she looked as though she was enjoying herself. The longer he watched, the angrier he became, finally turning away with a look of blatant disgust on his face.

Ravyn was watching the groom-to-be's behavior with barely concealed satisfaction. She kept her drink in hand as she moved over to where he stood talking to Tim, and sidled onto the freshly vacated stool next to Lucas. Tim was concentrating on holding his glass steady. He stopped speaking in mid-sentence and his startled movement slopped his drink as he suddenly noticed Ravyn peering nonchalantly over Lucas' shoulder. Tim's surprised reaction made Lucas turn to see the cause - and he came literally nose-to-nose with Lexi's old school-mate.

"Well, look what the cat dragged in," he muttered disdainfully, his lips almost curling into a snarl.

"So, Lucas, charming as ever I see," she replied in return, her tone a sarcastic purr.

Ravyn moved closer, enjoying the look of discomfort that passed across his face as she flirtatiously pressed up against him.

"Not enjoying the show? Oh, too bad. Lex looks like she's having a good time..."

"And feeling no pain!" he snarled, as his eyes wandered back to the threesome grinding away together in the middle of the dance floor. He moved sideways trying to escape, but Ravyn was too quick and blocked his path.

"You know Lucas, you really should get over this jealousy thing. You two don't own each other, you aren't possessions. A little trust goes a long way."

Pushed beyond his limit, he placed a firm hand on her shoulder and forced her to sit back down on the barstool, saying angrily,

"No Ravyn, it's you I don't trust."

For a second, intense emotion flashed in her eyes, daring him to go further. They stared coldly at each other, stares locked, battle-lines drawn. Then gradually Lucas became aware of the crowd breaking up. The show was over. Lexi came up behind him and gently slid her hand into his. He gave Ravyn a thin, humorless smile and then turned to give his fiance a passionate kiss.

Ravyn abruptly stood up and hurried towards the entrance, hot tears filling her eyes. She paused for a moment in the dark, smoke filled hallway searching through her purse for her car keys. Glancing up at the club's mirrored wall, she accidentally caught Lexi's reflection as she stood leaning back against Lucas, his arms wrapped protectively around her waist. Wiping a hand across her face, hiding her expression as she pushed back her heavy hair, Ravyn stood up and slowly walked out the door, past the bouncers, a plan forming in her mind.

"No Lucas, it's not over yet..."


PART 2


Feeling the effects of all the alcohol she had consumed, Lexi relaxed against Lucas, content to be in his arms. Closing her eyes for a moment, she brought a hand up to her mouth and stifled a yawn. As she opened her eyes again she realized she hadn't seen Ravyn since the male erotic dancers' show had ended. She twisted around to face Lucas, and asked,

"What happened to Ravyn?"

He reached out and picked up his beer. Taking a long swallow he looked down at her saying offhandedly,

"Don't know, I guess she left."

The tone of his voice seemed strange, but she was tired and shrugged it off. She yawned a second time just as the barman rang the bell for last call; it was closing time.

Nick wandered over, his arm draped over his wife's shoulder, steering her towards the group. Juliana yawned loudly herself as they reached the bar; her brown eyes looked bleary with fatigue. She stretched, then leaned back against her husband, as he placed the remnants of his orange juice neatly on the bar. She looked up at him, smiling, and said

"I'll drive next time." then she suddenly gave another tremendous yawn.

"I'm beat. Are you guys ready to call a cab and get out of here?"

"Aw, come on, Jules! Where's your sense of adventure? 'Night's still young!" slurred Tony, reaching for another handful of peanuts and managing to upset what was left of his beer down the front of his shirt. Muttering under his breath, he tried to mop at the stain with a cocktail napkin as he slid sideways off of the barstool - then he lost his balance and dropped the napkin to grab at the top of the stool as he staggered sideways.

"Tony, my friend, I think it's time to call it a night," chortled Tim, then he quickly reached out and grabbed the back of the warrant officer's shirt to steady him.

"Aaaay! Watch it" snapped Tony, shrugging off Tim's hand and following Lucas and the others towards the club's entrance.

Waving goodnight, Nick guided his tipsy spouse out the door as she clung unsteadily to his arm; then he steered her down the street, heading for the area where his car was parked.

Standing outside with Tony leaning heavily against him, Tim glanced around helplessly. He gave a quiet sigh when he realized that Lucas and Lexi were otherwise engaged, locked in a passionate embrace. Finally, he spied a cab just up ahead, turning the corner. Propping Tony against the building, he moved back to the street and managed to flag down a passing cab. He was just trying to tactfully get the couple's attention, when the driver decided to take matters into his own hands. The cab's horn blared, startling the pair. Smiling sheepishly, they piled into the waiting cab. Once settled cozily in the back seat, Lucas put his arm around Lexi and pulled her closer. She leaned her head on his shoulder, gradually letting her eyes close as she drifted off into a light sleep.

Tim looked over from his cramped position against the door and smiled, "She's down for the count."

Lucas nodded, smiling down at her, then gestured towards Tony, who was in the front seat, next to the driver. Mouth open, his head had fallen back against the seat's headrest and they could hear his faint snores. Laughing, they watched as Tony suddenly started when the cab pulled up in front of the hotel and came to a screeching stop.

Lucas gently peeled Lexi from his shoulder and helped Tim manuever a very inebriated Tony out of the cab and through the hotel lobby, where he left them both standing at the elevator. Calling goodnight over his shoulder he hurried away back to the waiting cab and Lexi.

The ride home was a speedy one. He must have dozed off, because before he knew it, they were pulling into the driveway. Turning to Lexi he gently shook her awake, then nudged her out of the cab in front of him. Yawning, he leaned down to the open window and paid the driver murmuring,

"Thanks."

Placing an arm around her waist, he guided her up the stairs and into the house. Not stopping, he continued down the hallway to the bedroom. Once inside, the exhausted couple pulled their clothes off and tumbled into bed. They turned towards one another for a brief kiss, then snuggling together, let sleep take them.


*********


The next morning, a few miles away, Ravyn paced restlessly in her hotel room thinking,

I can't go on like this, I've got to tell her...

She wandered aimlessly around the room, her thoughts racing.

How do I tell her?

She sighed and moved over to the window, looking out at the ocean view. The vid phone chimed loudly, disturbing her thoughts and causing her to jump. Reaching for the control, she was startled to see Lexi. In that instant Ravyn's mouth went dry, and she couldn't utter a sound. She stared back at the smiling blonde on the vid screen in dismay.

"Ravyn, are you alright?" her friend asked, the concern evident in her voice. "You left without saying goodbye last night. I never got a chance to thank you for the ...um...entertainment."

Slowly gathering her wits about her Ravyn tried for a casual smile. Feigning cheerfulness, she replied,

"I'm glad you had fun. No need to thank me, luv, it's the least I can do as your maid of honor."

Lexi watched her school friend affectionately, for a moment. They had been students together for five years and had grown very close during their time at that horrible boarding school. Neither had close family, and they had even been left together as boarders over the holidays for two years. The sparten school would have been an even more miserable place without their friendship. Lexi felt that they must understand each better than some sisters, and that Ravyn was one person that she could always trust.

Lexi knew Ravyn so well; something was wrong. The smile on Ravyn's face looked as if it had been painted there. Did she and Lucas have a run-in over the bachelorette party last night?

Watching her friend carefully Lexi said,

"You know Ravyn, we really haven't had a chance to catch up on things. With the wedding coming and all, I don't know when I'll have another free moment. Why don't I drop by and we can grab lunch?"

Ravyn, chewed on her lip for a moment, wondering what she should do, then deciding to let her heart take the lead, she said,

"Okay, but come up to my room first - I need to talk to you, Lexi."

"Sure no problem! I'll see you in a few," Lexi smiled, cutting the link.

Tossing the control to the vid phone on the couch, she turned and was surprised to see Lucas standing in the hallway staring at her, a strange expression on his face.

"Was that Ravyn you were just speaking to?" he asked, a feeling of apprehension passing through him.

"Yes, I'm going to meet her for lunch." Lexi walked over to him and slipped her arms affectionately around his waist. She smiled sheepishly up at him, "I didn't think you would mind since Tim and the guys are coming over later to watch the game."

Lucas knew that she would be upset if he protested. Lexi and Ravyn went back a long way; back to when she was away at that last British boarding school her grandmother had banished her to. The two women had managed to keep up their friendship as they grew into adulthood. He had no right to tell Lexi she couldn't go see her friend.

There was just something about the tall, dark haired young woman that made Lucas feel uneasy whenever she was around. A part of him said it was the way he'd seen Ravyn looking at him, but sometimes he wondered whether he was imagining things. So, against his better judgement, he ignored the warning feeling in the pit of his stomach. He wrapped his arms around Lexi, holding her tightly, whispering quietly in her ear,

"I love you."

Bewildered by his behavior she pulled away, and looked up into his eyes.

"I love you too, Lucas," then kissed him softly.

"I promise I won't take all afternoon." She picked up her purse and headed for the front door. Fishing out her keys, she looked back at him and batted her eyes coyly, saying,

"If you can manage to get the guys out of here at a decent hour, maybe we can try out the new jacuzzi..."

Lucas opened the door for her, then impulsively pulled her to him, kissing her goodbye. His mouth moved to her ear and he softly purred,

"No problem..!" Then giving her a final hug watched her walk to the car, waving as she pulled away.


PART 3


Ravyn heard the knock on her door and paused. Since she had gotten off the vid- phone with Lexi, she had been rehearsing what to say, going over and over it in her head. Now that Lexi was here, however, all of her confidence seemed to have flown away. Taking a deep breath she flicked her long black hair over her shoulder in a nervous gesture, and moved to answer the door.

Lexi greeted Ravyn with a warm hug.

"Okay, now what was so important that you made me come all the way up here?" she said, smiling warmly over at her friend as she sat down on the nearby sofa.

Ravyn gave her a wistful look and clasped her hands tightly together in front of her. It was plain to Lexi that she was quite anxious. The atmosphere in the room started to grow tense.

"Ravyn, what is it luv? You know you can tell me anything."

The other girl stopped her agitated pacing and sat down beside Lexi. She took a deep breath and for a moment felt herself becoming mesmerized by the hazel-blue eyes gazing steadily back at her.

"Lexi...I have to tell you something...I can't be your maid of honor..." she stammered, unable to tear her eyes away from Lexi's. Ravyn swallowed dryly, feeling heart start to beat faster. She felt as if she was drowning and the roaring sound in her head got louder.

"What do you mean - you can't be my maid of honor?" Lexi wailed, the smile rapidly fading from her face, as she caught the other girl's unhappy expression.

"Ravyn, what's wrong?" She was close to tears now. Warning bells went off in her head as she remembered the thick tension that always seemed to exist between Lucas and her closest friend and a terrible thought started to form in her mind. With horror she turned to Ravyn saying, "You've never lied to me, so I expect you not to lie now. It's Lucas isn't it? You..." She hesitated, trying to frame the words, "Do you have some kind of crush on him?" Ravyn was staring her, mouth opening, slowly going paler, then flushing hard along the cheekbones.... Lexi's voice went shrill as an even worse thought flashed into her mind, "Did you date him, or something, back when....?"

Her words were cut off as Ravyn cried, "No! Lexi...Oh no, it's..." tears of frustration flowed from her eyes, carrying mascara down cheeks that were flaming with embarassment.

"Then what is it, Ravyn?" Lexi asked; she reached out, covering Ravyn's hand with her own. Her bag was on the arm of the sofa and she reached for it left-handed, fumbling inside for tissues. The bag tilted, sliding, and cosmetics spilled across the sofa cushions. Ravyn looked aside, towards the sound, and her eyes seemed to pick up the flat, cold sparkle of Lexi's diamond engagement ring.

"What could be so upsetting that you can't stand up for me on the most important day in my life? DAMMIT RAVYN, TELL ME!" exclaimed Lexi, her fear turning to anger. She gripped Ravyn's shoulder with a shaking hand, trying to make her friend face her.

As the question hovered in the air unanswered, Ravyn stole a sideways glance at Lexi. She was sitting so close, and Ravyn could smell the subtle scent of the shower gel she had used earlier. It smelled of apples...She peered through her lashes, watching as Lexi nervously ran her tongue over her dry lips, and suddenly Ravyn wondered again what it would feel like to hold her, to kiss those lips...

Then without warning, before she could stop herself, Ravyn leaned in closer and pressed her mouth against Lexi's. Her heart was racing as she closed her eyes and gave herself up to the moment she had been dreaming of for years. Caught off-guard, the blonde was slow to react, and Ravyn pressed her advantage. Time seemed to stand still as she reached out, and pulled Lexi to her, embracing her tightly. Her fingers seemed to move of their own accord as they trailed sensuously up Lexi's back, lingering softly at the nape of her neck. A shudder passed through the woman in her arms and Ravyn encouraged, tried to deepen the kiss. Then, all too quickly, the moment ended. Her captive began to struggle, and Ravyn felt herself being roughly pushed away.

Something inside Ravyn shattered as she caught the look on Lexi's face. She blinked and let the tears that were forming fall from her eyes, not bothering to wipe them away. Turning away, her face ablaze with embarrassment and shame, she wrapped her arms protectively around herself and curled into a tight ball, face buried in the cushions, sobbing.

Lexi sat at the opposite end of the sofa, stunned into complete muteness. She felt utterly helpless as she listened to the heart wrenching sound echo in the room, while she replayed the scene again in her head. The thought that another woman might be attracted to her had never occurred to Lexi - especially her best friend! The world felt surreal. Now she didn't know what to do. She loved Ravyn, but not that way - never in *that* way.

She brought a tremulous hand to her mouth, chewing absently on her neatly manicured nails for a moment, then cautiously moved closer to Ravyn. Slowly she reached out her hand and gently placed it on the quietly sobbing woman's shoulder.

"Ravyn?"

Unwilling to turn around, her pride wounded, the dark haired girl answered, "I'm sorry...this was a mistake...please ...just go..."

"No, I can't leave you like this. We need to talk," Lexi said quietly, giving Ravyn's shoulder a gentle squeeze.

Sniffing loudly, Ravyn lifted her head and drew an unsteady hand across her face as she turned to face Lexi. She avoided meeting her friend's eyes, afraid of what she might see there.

Staring down at her own shaking hands, Ravyn said in a tight voice, "I'm so sorry, Lexi. I shouldn't have done that, it was wrong of me to think..." Slowly she raised her brown eyes to look back at Lexi.

The blonde started instinctively to move closer, then caught herself and kept her distance. She chose her words carefully as she said, "I'm not angry. I just never expected this!" She smiled thinly, continuing, "How long, Ravyn? We've known each other since we were teenagers - surely you could have mentioned this a little sooner?"

Ravy laughed ironically as she replied, "Lexi! Would it really have changed anything if I'd told you that I've been in love with you since we were at school together?"

While her eyes searched Lexi's, the deafening silence in the room told her all she needed to know. Shaking her head sadly she turned away, Lexi's hand falling from her thin shoulder. Releasing a deep sigh she stood up and walked over to the window. She stood there, with arms folded across her chest. As she looked out at the ocean the revealing sunlight showed a pathetic attempt at dignity.

"I'm sorry. This was just a stupid mistake, can we please forget this ever happened?"


**********


Back at the house Lucas looked at his watch. Lexi had been gone for hours, the game was almost over. He glanced over at the vid phone, concentrating intently on the machine, unaware that he was being observed.

Sensing the strange vibes eminating from the young man, Tim said, "Maybe if you stare at it hard enough she'll call."

"What?" Lucas gave the comm officer a confused look.

"I said, if you stare at it long enough, it might actually ring," repeated Tim.

"Lucas, what's wrong? You've been restless all afternoon. Is it Lexi?"

Just then their team scored, causing a rowdy outbreak of high-five hand slaps and laughter between Nick and Tony.

"Ha! That field goal kick just cost you twenty bucks, Piccolo!" A triumphant Nick beamed, his hand diving into the bowl of potato chips sitting in front of him.

Scowling back, Tony tossed the handful of popcorn he was just about to put in his mouth in Nick's direction.

"Hey, hey, gentlemen, house rule says if you mess it up - you clean it up! Understand?" Lucas warned, momentarily distracted by their antics.

"Sorry, Luke, but Mr. CEO is cheatin' again!" growled Tony.

"Notice, gentlemen, that Mr. Piccolo tends to be a little testy when he's on the losing end of a bet," laughed the computer executive.

"I'm not a sore loser...!" exclaimed Tony, trying to grab another handful of popcorn to throw at Nick, as Tim thoughtfully moved it beyond his reach. "Heeeey!"

"Okay guys, game over !" called Tim, watching the final minutes run out on the clock. For an instant no one breathed. They all stood silently frozen, staring at the large tv screen, nodding at the final score. Then, with a click, he turned the tv off.

Nick threw Tim a questioning look, then started to pick up the beer bottles that were strewn around the room, stuffing them in a protesting Tony's arms as the warrant officer happened by. Giving a chuckle he pointed to the kitchen, said, "C'mon Tony, score on the garbage can!" and slapped him on the shoulder. Then he turned back to the living room. Straightening the cushions on the sofa, he casually glanced out the window in time to see Lexi's blue Miata just pulling into the driveway.

"Come on you guys, let's get this place cleaned up. The little woman's home!"


PART 4


Outside in the car Lexi gripped the wheel tightly for a moment, slowly exhaling as she turned the engine off. Resting her head back against the leather seat she closed her eyes for a moment, trying to make sense of what had happened.

To say that Ravyn's revelation was a surprise was an understatement. She was still in shock, feeling stupid for her naivete. Looking back on things now, she felt that she could have seen that all the signs were there, but whether intentionally or unintentionally, she had ignored them. And even more startling were the feelings that Ravyn's overture had stirred deep within her.

Lexi shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts but only managing to sink further into ambivalence and self-doubt. Her earlier therapy sessions had left her too aware of the hidden levels of the mind. Could she have somehow set herself up for this?

Her temples throbbed at the prospect of facing the group inside. Right now she just didn't want to discuss this with anyone - especially Lucas. She glanced up into the Miata's rearview mirror, dismayed when she saw her mouth was smeared with Ravyn's bright pink lipstick. Frantically she dug in her purse for a kleenex, then wiped at her mouth, her hands starting to shake again as she scrubbed at her lips. She took another deep breath and opened the car door. Hurrying up the walk she fervently prayed that the game was still on so the group inside would be too distracted to notice her.

She opened the door and tried to slip down the hallway unnoticed. Her efforts were thwarted as Tony suddenly bustled out of the kitchen, crashing into her and knocking her off balance. She put up a hand to save herself as her shoulder hit the wall.

He reached for her arm, his tight grip steadying her as he apologized,

"Geeze Lexi, I'm sorry.. didn't see ya..."

She gently pried her arm away and gave him a polite smile,

"Its okay, I should have been watching where I was going..."

Lucas appeared, followed closely by Tim and Nick.

"Hey, you're home!" He pushed Tony out of the way and moved in to give her a kiss. Lexi gave him a hesitant smile and he pulled her into a close embrace. The two apparently ignored the rowdy cheering from behind them as Lucas dipped Lexi low to the ground, kissing her passionately. He was half-clowning, but his enthusiastic greeting was overwhelming and they were both caught into the moment. Clutching him tightly, she tried to catch her breath as the kiss ended.

Nick raised an eyebrow contemplatively, regarding the couple for a moment, then turned towards Tony and Tim.

"So, how long do you think it'll be before they'll come up for some air?"

"Geeze, Nick, you'll bet on anything, won't you!" quipped Tony, shaking his head, still smarting from losing his bet earlier.

Tim just looked at them, flushing slightly - then he chuckled, shaking his head, and said, with just a hint of an edge to his voice,

"Okay, I think we can take the hint. Good night Lexi, good night, Lucas. Thanks!" He reached into his pocket and pulled out his car keys. Pointing towards the front door he herded the others along. The only response from the preoccupied couple was a brief wave as they broke apart breathlessly.

Arms draped around each other's waists they walked over to the door and gave their friends a perfunctory wave, watching as Tim's car pulled away, before closing the door.

Lucas clicked the security lock and then turned back to Lexi, asking,

"So, how was lunch?"

"Fine. It was ..fine." She replied slipping past him and heading down the hallway to the bedroom. Lucas followed her, his curiousity aroused by her brief response. He could hear the hesitancy of her answer, and now that the others had gone, he could see that she had almost reverted to the quiet and over-controlled behavior learned in her English schools. Something must have happened, but Lucas knew better than to pry. Lexi would tell him in her own good time.

He followed her, leaning in the open doorway, watching as she moved briskly around the room. Suddenly she paused, seeming to remember something, then she turned to face him, gave him a sultry smile and walked slowly towards him, one hand trailing lazily down the front of the simple dress she wore, toying seductively with the buttons.

Lucas exhaled, it was starting to feel warm in the room. He watched as her fingers slowly undid the top button, then the second and third, allowing him tantalisingly shifting glimses of her cleavage.

He eased into the room, closing the door behind him, his eyes never leaving hers. Lexi moved closer until her body was pressed against his; she put one hand on his shoulder and then slid it slowly down the length of his body, until she reached the sensitive area at the side of his waist; then she started to trail her fingers in a widening circle, sliding her hand slowly towards the front of his body. Lucas trembled slightly as he felt the heat of her hand through the thin material of the shorts he wore. She was so close, her lips were only inches from his. His arms wrapped around her, starting to pull her closer as he brought his mouth down to hers; then he reconsidered and tried to leave enough space between them for her restless hand to complete its journey.

His pleasure was short lived as she gently, but firmly, moved her hand back up to his chest and playfully pushed him away. He made a protesting sound and tried to catch her to him, but she twisted away and backed a few steps. He was on the verge of protesting again when she smiled mischievously, beckoning for Lucas to follow while she moved into the adjoining bathroom.

A slow smile spread across his face as he noticed the white, scented votive candles placed decoratively around the tiled surface of the large bathroom's whirlpool tub. He picked up the lighter laying off to the side, and mechanically began to light them, while never taking his eyes off Lexi. Lucas watched as she leaned over the edge of the tub and turned on both taps, testing the temperature with her hand.

She let the tub fill for a few moments while she checked the bottles of bath oil arranged behind the taps. Choosing one, she carefully poured a capful of the contents into the water, closing her eyes as she breathed in the intoxicating scent. Then, she stood, walked over to the wall and hit a switch. Suddenly, a quiet purring hum filled the room as the motorized pressure jets began to stir the water into a bubbling, churning sea.

Spellbound, watching her, Lucas was rudely brought back to reality when he felt the flame of the lighter starting to singe his fingers. Swearing in pain, he dropped the lighter, nursing his hand close to his chest.

Lexi moved closer, gingerly taking his hand. "Here, let me see..."

Opening his fingers she softly pressed a kiss to his palm, the sensation sending a shiver down his spine. Returning his intense gaze she brought the stinging finger to her lips, lightly sucking on it. He inhaled sharply, feeling something akin to an electric shock pass through him. He felt dizzy with desire and he leaned heavily against her. Lucas bent his head and nuzzled the side of her neck. Slowly, she lowered his hand back down to the half-open bodice of her dress. He could feel her heart racing as his hand brushed against the swell of her breasts before gliding slowly to her waist.

Then, she moved her hands to the front of his shirt, slowly unbuttoning the top button, while the backs of her fingers trailed gently against his skin.

"I think that tub is big enough for two, don't you?" she asked him quietly, as her hands slowly moved lower with the shirt opening behind them....


PART 5


He shrugged out of the garment, letting it slip slowly to the floor. Her lips brushed gently against his chest, filling him with a burning desire. He sighed softly and closed his eyes, steering her hand down to his fly.

Lucas swayed slightly, suddenly light headed from the combined effects of the heady aroma of the bath oil and the touch of Lexi's fingers as she dallied with his zipper, letting her fingers trail gently over the bulge beneath. He gave a small moan as she pulled the khaki shorts down, slipped his boxers down from his waist, and slid her hands down to cup his buttocks, letting both garments slide to tangle around his ankles. With a swift kick they landed in a corner, where they were soon joined by Lexi's clothes.

Carefully, holding his hand, Lexi eased herself into the large tub and then lay back, smiling up at him in anticipation. Lucas climbed in and settled behind her. He wrapped an arm around her, gently leaning her against him, her head resting on his chest. They spent some time just letting their bodies become used to the warm, bubbling water. Lexi closed her eyes, inhaling the fragrant scent that wafted up from the water. The only light in the room came from the hypnotically flickering flames of the candles. As her body began to relax, her mood changed, becoming quiet, pensive; mentally rehashing the afternoon's event's with Ravyn in her head.

Gently trailing his fingers lightly along her arm, Lucas felt her tense. Her sudden change of mood baffled him; she seemed to be brooding about something. Briefly, he wondered if she could be having second thoughts about the wedding. After all, she wouldn't be the first to suffer from pre-wedding jitters. He shifted his position and reached for the sponge that was laying on the tiles behind him next to the bottle of bath oil. He dipped it into the water and then squeezed it, watching as the water cascaded over her shoulder and flowed down between her breasts. Eyes still closed Lexi leaned her face up towards his and smiled, purring,

"Mmm..."

He dropped the sponge back into the water, his finger tracing her jawline, then brushing softly across her cheek. He moved his mouth against the curve of her neck, kissing and nuzzling, sliding his hand up her slippery, wet skin until it was just under the curve of her breast. Then he realised that her heartbeat was too slow for arousal. Lucas lifted his head and looked down at her, wishing that he could see more of her expression.

"Baby, what's wrong?" he asked her in a quiet voice, lifting his hand and smoothing the damp hair away from her face.

She sat up, turning and facing him, her movement sending a wave of perfumed water over the edge of the tub. She returned his gaze and saw that his eyes reflected the anxiety that she detected in his voice. Before she could answer, he added,

"Is it the wedding?" and took her hand in his, holding it tightly.

"No! Oh...no.. Lucas, its...not that," she stammered, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Are you sure?" he asked. He stared back at her doubtfully, then hesitantly added.

"I mean it just seems like everytime we get to a certain point with things you bail on me..." His voice drifted off as he lowered his eyes, remembering.

Lexi scooted closer to him, sitting facing him, her legs on either side of his. She reached out a hand and caressed his cheek,

"I've never been more sure that we belong together." He raised his eyes to meet hers and she nodded, pulling his head to hers, kissing him breathlessly, her lips insistant on his.

Laughing, he replied, "Okay, okay! I believe you!"

He leaned in affectionately, pressing his forehead against hers for a moment.

"Talk to me, Lex... please..."

She tried to back away, struggling half-heartedly, but Lucas held her firmly in his arms. Realising that this time he wasn't going to let her put him off, she sighed resolutely, saying,

"I don't think we'll be seeing Ravyn any time soon. We had a bit of a...falling out today." Her eyes met his for a moment, then wandered over to the candles positioned behind him.

Lucas watched as she chewed on the inside of her cheek, knowing she was close to tears. He pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly, his hands gently rubbing her back, murmuring,

"I'm so sorry, Lex. I know how much she meant to you."

She sniffed, "Thanks, but can we not talk about this right now, please?"

Their bodies pressed close together as his mouth covered hers in a soft kiss. They broke apart and Lexi turned slightly away. Lucas watched as she half heartedly wiped at the tears that were threatening to spill over her thick lashes. Gently he took her into his arms, holding her tightly while she cried. He waited till the worst was over then spoke.

"Honey, I'm really sorry. I know you and Ravyn were close. Are you sure that the two of you can't work it out?"

Lexi, lifted her head from his shoulder and looked up at him contemplatively.

"No, and I really don't want to discuss this right now,okay?" her tone was sharper than she meant.

"Fine, then stay here by yourself and sulk, because you obviously don't intend to talk to me about it!" he snapped.

Silently, she watched the ensuing storm of emotions move across his face. Without saying a word he stood up and roughly yanked a dry towel from the rack nearby, then climbed out of the tub, wrapping the towel tightly around his waist. Lexi inwardly flinched a she caught a glimpse of the dark look on his face as he moved by her.

With a deep sigh, she leaned back against the side of the tub, listening as his wet footsteps faded down the hall. She didn't know what to do. She softly knocked her head on the side of the tub. How could she tell him what happened. She knew that he didn't like Ravyn, and could just guess what his reaction would be if she did tell him.

Damn you, Ravyn, you always did know how to leave me holding the bag!

Frustrated past the point of tears, she angrily splashed the opposite side of the tub, sending a small wave of water over the edge and onto the floor. She was just about to do it again, when she happened to look up in time to see Lucas standing in the doorway, the towel replaced by a pair of plaid boxers. The look on his face had lightened, but she could sense his tension from across the room. Staring at her, he spoke quietly,

"Well, now I know why you've been in such a weird mood. Is there anything I should know, Lexi?"

She painfully tried to swallow the dry lump that had suddenly formed in her throat under his cold stare, the look on his face making her nervous. Managing a thin smile she replied,

" No, I don't have any revelations into the psychology of Lexi Collington for you." She smirked ironically, adding with a shake of her head, "maybe you should just chalk it all up to PMS and Nervous Bride Syndrome!"

As if making his mind up about something, Lucas regarded her thoughtfully for a second, then strode purposefully into the room, reaching for the short peach colored robe hanging on the back of the door. Turning to face her, he moved over to the tub and held it out to her...waiting.

Feeling an uncomfortable warmth flush over her as he continued to stare expectantly at her, Lexi decided that maybe she should take the subtle hint that their playtime in the bath was definitely finished for the evening. Giving an embarassed cough she twisted and blew out the candles, then stood and allowed him to help her as she slipped her arms inside, the silky material sticking to her damp skin.

Stealing a sideways glance at his face, she tried to read his mood, but his eyes were downcast. Lexi was surprised at his gentleness as he quickly tied the belt loosely around her waist. Holding both of his hands she carefully climbed out, trying to be mindful of the water that had spilled on the floor earlier. But as she stepped over the edge, the mat slid slightly under her bare feet and she found herself in his arms. Lucas looked down at her, a smile starting to twitch at the corners of his mouth.

"Haven't we done this before?" he chortled, then without waiting for an answer, swept her up into his arms and headed down the hallway...

The bright light of the full moon filtered through the mini-blinds that covered the window and shone across the bed. Tossing restlessly, Lexi pressed closer to her lover's sleeping form, resting her cheek against his back, breathing in slowly and deeply, relishing the scent of his skin. She stayed there unmoving for a few minutes, pushing away the unwanted thoughts of Ravyn that kept creeping into her head. She gazed lovingly at Lucas as he slept on, unaware of her torment; she had made her choice. Then, craving the intimacy and completeness that only he could give her, she reached out trailing her fingers lightly over his thigh.

Awakened by her movements, Lucas feigned sleep a little while longer, savoring her touch and the feelings that she was stirring inside him. Then, with a smile playing on his lips, he reached for her hand, guiding it up over his abdomen, then down between his legs. He closed his eyes as he felt her lips brush against the back of his shoulder while her fingers curled around his growing erection. Lexi began to stroke him, holding his throbbing penis firmly in her hand. Lucas gave a low moan, then shuddered as her mouth moved up towards his neck licking, and then sucking on the tender skin in the hollow of his shoulder, hard enough to leave a temporary reminder of her passion. The sensation of her teeth grazing his skin inflamed his desire. His body was on fire and he was rapidly losing control.

Making a noise that sounded like a throaty growl, he turned to face her. In the dim light Lucas could see that the hazel-blue eyes he knew so well were ablaze with a passion so intense that it sent chills down his spine. Lust and desire overwhelmed him. He reached out and pulled Lexi into his arms. Their mouths met in a hungry kiss, his tongue tracing the outline of her lips as Lexi melted breathlessly into his embrace.

Lucas slowly eased her onto her back against the pillows. His mouth left hers, wandering down her neck to her shoulders. His hands gently cupped her breasts, the nipples hardening at his touch. She cried out suddenly, arching her back as his teeth wickedly grazed a rosy bud, flooding her senses with pleasure. Before she could recover he moved lower, his tongue flickering sensuously over her flat midriff, his hands softly caressing her thighs. Pausing for a moment, Lucas lifted his head casually, glancing up at her. Lexi opened her eyes and reached out to him, but was rewarded with a quick nip at her fingers, his tongue licking at their tips. She closed her eyes again, moaning at the onslaught of sensations coursing through her.

The rough skin of his unshaven face tickled her thighs as his mouth continued on its journey. Lucas took his time, prolonging her pleasure until she was unable to stand anymore. Panting breathlessly Lexi cried out as she climaxed, her fingers tangled in his hair.

Lucas moved across her, his hands softly caressing at her waist as he reached underneath, lifting her hips to meet his. Lexi made a quick whimpering sound and buried her head in his shoulder, clutching him tightly as she wrapped her legs around him. As their movements synchronized, she lifted her head and looked into his profound blue eyes, seeing the passion and love there. They made love unhurriedly, sharing their innermost selves.

Later as they lay entwined together, Lucas reached for Lexi's hand, pressing his hand to hers; palm to palm, fingertip to fingertip. Gently he laced his fingers with hers, then brought her hand to his lips. The tenderness of the gesture moved her. Her eyes met his and she hugged him tightly to her, whispering in his ear, "I love you..."

He drifted off into a fitful sleep, a smile on his face as he held Lexi snugly in his arms, satisfied that whatever had come between them earlier was now resolved. He was unaware that her dreams were so sad...

In the morning when she awoke, Lexi turned towards Lucas and placed a soft kiss on his chest. Barely awake yet, he murmured a good morning, while reaching out to her, gently brushing a hand across her cheek, the fingers coming away damp. Sitting up on his elbows he framed her face with his hands perplexed now, not understanding.

"Lexi?"

"I love you, Lucas," she said quietly, her eyes holding a promise for the future, even as they brimmed with tears....



END