Title: Reach For The Stars

Author: JaimeBlue

Archive: Yes

Pairing: Once again, you'll never believe me if I tell you. Oh, what the hell -- Tim/Darwin.

Disclaimer: They don't belong to me, though after this correction of several mistakes in a certain episode, it definitely SHOULD be mine :)

Summary: The way Watergate SHOULD have ended — with a slash twist, of course.

Warning: Yes, there's a warning. This story contains material that may be considered squicky. While not containing actual bestiality, the conditions of the story could still be less than welcome to more sensitive readers. Read with caution.

Author's Note: We all know there were several mistakes in confusing Greek and Roman mythologies in the episode ‘Watergate'. This is my attempt to correct them by having some fun with the REAL myths. And hey, if they can be corny and silly, then so can I!

Author's Note 2: Thank you APB for the "Watergate" transcript!

Author's Note 3: This is a response to the "Ah, To Be A Dolphin" challenge by Em on Joxerotica



REACH FOR THE STARS
By JaimeBlue
************


The entire bridge was silent, entranced by the vision on the screen before them.

"Who is that man?" Dagwood asked the question everyone was afraid to answer.

"That's Neptune," Lucas replied seriously, "God of the Undersea."

"I hope he's nice."

"I hope he's not hungry," Tony added.

"What does he want?" Brody asked.

"He wants me." Half the crew turned to see Sarah standing by the entrance to the bridge. "He thinks I'm Minerva."

"Captain," Lucas shouted from the back of the bridge, "I'm picking up some strange activity in the hydro tubes. It's Darwin."

"Is he saying anything?" Bridger asked.

"No. The vocoder isn't translating the noises he's making. It keeps coming out as gibberish."

"Where is he?"

"It looks like he's heading for the bridge."

"Get the lid off the pool. Does this have anything to do with that apparition?"

"I don't know, Sir," Miguel spoke up, "but that guy still looks pretty angry."

"Lieutenant O'Neill, Mr. Wolenczak, I want the two of you with me by the pool when Darwin gets here."

Tim rose at the Captain's order. Before he and Lucas had reached the pool, the water erupted with activity. Through the flying drops of water, he could spot a form writhing around in the pool.

The movement stopped as suddenly as it had begun. At first, there appeared to be nothing in the water. Then as if by magic, a long, slender arm broke the surface, anchoring onto the side of the pool as the attached body bobbed to the surface. A pale face broke the surface, sputtering and gasping for dear life.

While most of the bridge stared in shock, Bridger rushed to the side of the pool and gave his arm to the figure, helping to pull the man over the rim and onto the floor. The may lay there, panting and coughing up water, equally oblivious to the eyes staring at him and his own nakedness.

"Lucas," Bridger ordered, breaking the silence, "get this man something to wear."

For once, Lucas obeyed the order without saying a word. The Captain turned to Lieutenant Brody.

"Where's Darwin?"

"I can't find any trace of him, Sir. Perhaps it was a malfunction."

"And some strange man popping onto my bridge, would that be a malfunction too? I want answers, Lieutenant."

"Yes, Sir."

Tim knelt down beside the figure, noticing the man's breathing had slowed down to an almost normal rate. His skin was extremely pale, almost a light grey in colour. The long white hair fell wet and limp around the stranger's face, highlighting ethereal features that were both youthful and ageless. The man's eyes fluttered open and rested on Tim. The pale green orbs were first filled with shock, then strangely with recognition. A hesitant hand lifted until slender fingers grazed Tim's cheek, causing the commtech to gasp at the contact.

"Captain!" Dr. Smith shouted in a panicked tone. "He's doing something to Tim. I can feel it."

Bridger moved to Tim's side, ready to pull the commtech away from the stranger, but was stopped by the Lieutenant's voice.

"Captain, it's ok." Tim looked up with eyes full of awe, all the while allowing the pale hand to cup the side of his face. "He's talking to me. I can hear him in my mind again."

"Again? Do you know this man, Tim?"

"We all do, Sir, though I don't think you're going to believe this. God knows I wouldn't."

"What is it I won't believe, Lieutenant?"

"This man, Sir. It's Darwin. Somehow, he became just like us — human."

For several moments, not a sound was heard on the bridge. The silence was broken by Lucas entering, carrying a terry-cloth robe. He walked to Tim's side and knelt down next to him in order to speak to the stranger.

"Here. This should help warm you up."

The man lifted another hand and reached out for Lucas' hair, causing the teenager to jump back.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

The man smiled mischievously and Tim giggled.

"What's so funny?" Lucas demanded.

"Oh, he just said that he's always wanted to see you with messed-up hair, just once."

"Oh, and I bet you can just read his mind, huh?"

"Actually, yes." Tim gave the teen a half-smile. He took the hand that cupped his face with one of his own and pulled it down to the man's heaving chest. He continued holding the hand both for contact and for comfort. "Even though he's human now, Darwin just can't seem to use our vocal chords."

Lucas' jaw dropped. He looked from the man on the floor to Tim, then back again. "Tim, please tell me you're kidding. That is *not* Darwin."

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it's Darwin all right."

"I hate to interrupt," Captain Bridger broke in, "but does he have any clue about what's going on here?"

Tim looked down at the pale figure and the two sets of eyes simply stared at each other for several moments. Finally, Tim took a deep breath and looked away.

"Well, first of all, the big guy out there's angry for a few reasons, not the least of which is the fact that he hates being called by the wrong name."

"You mean that's not Neptune?" Miguel asked.

"It's Poseidon. He hates how the Romans stole their entire set of beliefs from the Greeks and screwed up the names and legends. It's my own fault, I guess. In school, I should have paid as much attention to the actual myths as I did to the languages."

"There's no way you could have known something like this could happen, Tim," Dr. Smith comforted.

"I know. Anyway, another mistake I made is the name on the outside of the temple. It's Amphitrite, not Minerva. She was Poseidon's wife, a sea nymph he wed after he became ruler of the seas. At least we got Medusa right. She was one of Poseidon's many lovers, and was originally the mother of the first Pegasus."

"And why did this being decide to turn our dolphin into a human being, if that's indeed what has happened," the Captain asked skeptically.

"Well, apparently Poseidon believes Darwin to be descended from Delphinus, the dolphin that originally helped him gain the love of Amphitrite. He must believe that he could do so again."

Tim's eyes once again met the stranger's and he nodded, reaching out his arms so the man could grab onto them. Slowly, Tim helped the pale figure up into a standing position so that they stood side by side, nearly at the same height. Lucas moved to wrap the robe around the sloping shoulders as the man's assets came into better view. Lucas and Tim, much to the man's dismay, threaded his arms through the sleeves and tied the robe shut. The slender fingers ran along the material, wonder at the new sensation showing on his face.

"While this is fascinating," the Captain said, "this doesn't give me any clue as to what we're going to do here. Lieutenant, can he communicate with this Poseidon?"

"I think so, Sir."

"Find out what it wants."

The crew watched as Tim and the man looked into each others' eyes, various expressions crossing their faces as they carried on a silent conversation.

"He wants Amphitrite... Sarah."

"Tell him that's unacceptable."

Moments later, the stranger gasped in shock, his face growing cool as marble. Tim immediately grew concerned and laid a hand on the man's shoulder, encouraging him to meet the commtech's eyes.

"What's going on, Lieutenant?"

"I don't know, Sir. He's shutting me out. Whatever Poseidon's saying to him is upsetting him."

"Captain," Miguel called out, "something's happened. For some reason, Nep... Poseidon's starting to smile."

"Well," Commander Ford said, "things are looking up."

"I dunno," Tony answered. "I think I'm more scared of this guy's smile than I am of his angry face."

"Reach for the stars?" Dr. Smith wondered out loud.

"What is it, Doctor," the Captain asked.

"I'm picking up just a little of the message he's sending to Darwin..."

"We aren't certain this is Darwin, Doctor."

"Yes, Captain, but unless there's something better to call him..."

"What about Delphinus," Lucas said.

"All right, Delphinus," the Doctor said exasperatedly. "As I was saying, Poseidon isn't being quiet in his commands and I was able to catch some of what he was saying to Delphinus. His instructions are that, if Amphitrite will not meet her fate at his side, then Delphinus must meet his destiny and reach for the stars."

"No! That's not right!" Tim cried out.

"What is it, Lieutenant?" the Captain asked.

"In the original myth, Poseidon rewarded Delphinus by sending his body into the night sky and turning him into a constellation. He can't be expected to do that unless..."

"... Unless he dies," Doctor Smith finished for him.

The group was distracted by a frantically shaking head of white hair.

"He says we've got it wrong," Tim said.

"Big surprise there," Ford added.

All of a sudden, the figure's face grew red.

"He won't say what it means, Sir, but whatever it is, he finds it to be very embarrassing."

"We don't have many options here, Mr. O'Neill. We can't stay down here forever."

"Yes Sir." The two men once again spent several moments speaking mentally to each other until the pale man finally nodded, his body drooping in resignation. "He says he'll go through it, Sir. For us."

"Good."

"But, he says he needs to speak to me in private first."

"How much more private can the two of you get, Lieutenant? None of us can hear a word of what you're saying."

"Sir, he's uncomfortable enough as it is."

The Captain sighed. "All right. Take him down to your quarters, Lieutenant, but hurry."

"I will, Sir."

Tim wrapped an arm around the pale figure's shoulders, supporting him as he slowly took his first few steps. The commtech couldn't help but notice the roll of his Captain's eyes as every step seemed to take an eternity. After an exchanged glance and a nod, Tim leaned over to grab onto the man's legs and lift him into his arms. To the crew's curious stares, Tim carried the pale figure off the bridge.


* * *


‘Thank you.'

Tim let out a soft grunt as he lowered the body onto his bunk. ‘No problem. It's nothing I wouldn't do for any of my friends.'

‘What I must ask of you is something one should never ask of one's friends.'

‘Darwin,' Tim sat on the bunk next to the man, ‘we've known each other a long time, and I've always considered you to be one of my closest friends. Nothing will ever change that.'

‘That's only because you don't know what I must ask of you."

Tim reached over and took one of Darwin's hands and pressed it between both of his own. ‘You can ask me anything.'

Darwin blinked, then raised his other hand to trace down the center of Tim's forehead, down his nose, finally resting on the commtech's lips.

‘To Poseidon, reaching for the stars is but a metaphor. His dare is for me to do what I've always known was impossible... to follow my heart.'

‘That doesn't sound too bad.'

‘But to do so would be to lose a great friend.'

‘I'm certain your friend would understand. I know I would.'

Darwin leaned forward and replaced his fingers with his lips. Tim stiffened, surprised by the move. However, as the soft lips continued to press against his own, he instinctively began to relax, parting his lips to taste those of the other man.

‘What are we doing?'

‘What I've dreamt of doing for years.'

‘But why? Why me?'

Darwin pulled back to look into Tim's eyes, then moved to kiss along the brunet's jaw.

‘I cannot explain it, but that day so long ago when I first spoke to you as I do now, it was like, like...'

‘...like I had glimpsed something wonderful, then had it taken away.'

‘Yes, exactly. I have not gone a day without remembering the beauty of your mind. Wanting, needing to touch it again. It scared me more than you could imagine.'

Their lips met again with a ferocity that surprised them both. Tim's hand ran up the terry-clad bicep to rest on a strong shoulder, pulling the ethereal man closer. Darwin moved his newfound hands around Tim's chest, wanting to be closer but not knowing how.

‘It scared me too.'

‘Does it scare you now?'

‘I don't know why, but it doesn't. I feel so close to you.'

‘I want to be closer to you, Tim. Show me how to love you.'

Tim's hand found it's way down to the rope that held together Darwin's robe, and pulled it. Never letting their lips part, he pushed open the robe, his fingers tracing along every inch of pale flesh that was revealed. Then, after removing his glasses, he took Darwin's hands in his and, breaking their kiss, showed him how to unfasten the naval uniform.

With unsteady hands, Darwin managed to pull the uniform off a piece at a time. The more skin was revealed, the more he felt at ease.

‘I've never figured out why all of you use these... things to cover yourselves. You're too beautiful to hide.'

‘It's been so long, I don't think we remember the answer. It's just the way it is for us.'

Darwin smiled and looked into Tim's eyes as he traced a palm over a dusky nipple. ‘This is the way it is for us. Skin against skin. Nothing hidden, no secrets.'

‘It must be quite... stimulating.'

‘You have no idea.'

Tim let out a giggle as the pad of one finger brushed against a very sensitive place on his side. With an evil look, Darwin concentrated his attention on the area, spurring the other man on to more bouts of giggles.

‘Please, stop, oh, please please please stop.'

‘Doesn't this please you? You're laughing, aren't you?'

‘Please, stop, it's too much...'

Darwin bent over and, as his fingers ceased their movements, he began kissing along the area. He smiled against the skin as the giggles turned to gasps.

Tim reached down and took Darwin by the shoulders, pulling him so they were lying face to face, their now-naked bodies and more-than-evident arousals pressed against each other,. Their lips tangled once again, and with a sudden movement, Tim rolled them so that he was pressing Darwin into the mattress, his left leg twining with the pale man's right. He pulled away from the kiss to trail his moist lips down Darwin's throat.

As Tim started paying attention to the irresistibly puckering nipples, his hips pulled away from Darwin's. The pale hips bucked, trying to regain the contact, but Darwin remained frustrated as Tim moved lower. A dark tongue flicked out to lap at the lightly indented navel, then trailed downward.

Darwin gasped at the feeling of that wet tongue tracing along his skin. He moaned with desire as that same tongue finally found his cock, licking it up and down until every inch tingled with the memory of Tim's touch. As a hand began fondling the hanging sac, he began fearing this would all end too soon, and without his beloved's having gained any pleasure. He reached down as Tim had before, and pulled the man up and those lips to his own.

Darwin's hand trailed down and wrapped itself around Tim's cock. He reveled in the feel of the hard, weeping shaft, pulsing with every move of his hand.

‘I want you so much, Tim.'

‘You have me, right here.'

Tim reached down to pull Darwin's hand away from his cock, then raised it above their heads. He grabbed onto the man's other hand and did the same. Staring deep into the green eyes, he began moving his hips in an unrecognizable rhythm. The other's hips soon matched the rhythm as the two men writhed against each other. Tim's head leaned down, touching his lips to Darwin's without breaking eye contact. v Suddenly, Tim's back straightened. With one more thrust of his hips, he came with a shout, spurting over Darwin's still thrusting cock. As the liquid heat washed over his groin, Darwin felt his body tense as he came as well.

The two men lay limply for several moments, still feeling the aftershocks that ran through their bodies. Finally, Tim raised his head to look at the angel below him, white hair spread like a halo on the pillow. He pressed a kiss against Darwin's lips, gentle and loving. Both men's arms slowly moved to wrap around each other, never wanting to let go.

Somehow, a beeping sound permeated the atmosphere of the room. Reluctantly, Tim pulled away and looked around for the source. He sighed. Somebody was trying to contact him from the bridge. Kissing Darwin one last time, he rose from the bed. Making certain the outgoing signal was aural only, he responded.

"O'Neill here."

"It took you long enough, Lieutenant. Why can't we see you?"

"Umm, intereference I guess, Sir."

"Anyway, I just thought you'd like to know that whatever it is Delphinus did, it got Poseidon to let us go. I don't think we'll ever know what that thing really is, but at the moment, I don't care. I would like the two of you to come up to the bridge as soon as possible."

"Yes Sir. O'Neill out."

Turning the signal off, Tim took a deep breath. His head hung for several moments as he tried to get a grip on his emotions.

‘Tim, help!'

His head swung around to see Darwin writhing in the bed, gasping for air. He immediately ran to his side.

‘What is it? What's happening?'

‘Not again! No. The pain, too much. Don't want to go...'

‘Darwin! Speak to me!'

‘Changing...'

In a flash of consciousness, Tim was aware of two things. First, Darwin needed to be returned to the water. And second, he needed some clothes, and fast. He grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt that were lying around and threw them on, then ran back to the bed. He ignored the stinging in his eyes as he lifted Darwin's frantic form from the bed and ran through the halls until he reached the closest salt water access from his room — the moonpool.

Much to the shock of a pair of unsuspecting ensigns, Tim ran in with the naked Darwin in his arms and jumped into the moonpool. He felt the body slide away from him and watched helplessly as the soft skin he'd felt so lovingly turned wet and rubbery once more. He leaned back against the side of the pool, watching the thrashing in the water until it finally stopped. His heart caught in his chest when, for a moment, it appeared he was the only one left in the pool. Then a dolphin's bottle-shaped nose poked above the surface, turning so that the accompanying dark eyes could gaze sadly in Tim's direction.

‘Goodbye,' the voice whispered in Tim's mind, far softer than he'd ever heard it, and somehow he knew he'd just heard it for the last time.

"Goodbye," Tim whispered as he reached out a hand for one last caress to the long nose. With a choked sound, he turned and pulled himself out of the pool, readying himself for the eventual encounter with the Captain and the rest of the bridge crew.


* * *


Tim stood motionless at the door, looking in at the moonpool. It had been a week since the "Poseidon Incident" as everyone was calling it, and he'd felt miserable every day. Miguel, in his ‘unerring' wisdom, had suggested he come here to speak to Darwin. Tim laughed to himself. Nobody on the ship knew of what had really happened that day between him and Darwin. He'd made up some kind of story (and prayed for forgiveness afterward) that had easily explained his change in clothing, as well as his running down the ship's halls carrying a naked man. Had anyone else told the tale, they would have been doubted, but nobody ever thought Tim O'Neill could tell a lie.

There were many things they thought he'd never do, weren't there?

Mustering up his courage, he took a step forward, and then another, until he finally reached the edge of the pool. He looked around and was relieved to find he was alone. Checking to make certain the vocoder was functioning, he took a deep breath before speaking.

"Darwin? Are you out there?"

There was no answer.

"Darwin? If you can hear me, please answer me."

"Tim not mad?"

Tim felt his heart rise as the grey nose broke the surface. "No, I'm not mad."

"If not mad, why no visit Darwin?"

"I didn't know what to say. Things are... different."

"Yes, different." The two beings faced each other in silence for several more moments. "Darwin still love Tim."

Tim sighed. "I love you too, and that scares me more than anything else in the world."

"Friends?"

"Of course." Tim smiled down at the dolphin and resisted the urge to reach out to the gleaming skin. There were some obstacles that even love couldn't overcome, and he knew this was one of them. "Friends forever, Darwin."

"Good."

Tim watched as Darwin leaped, then swam away through the hydro tubes. His face fell into his hands as he tried to hold back the tears that wanted desperately to fall. He needed some time to think through this, to figure out what to do with his life. Perhaps he needed some time away, away from the seaQuest, the navy, the UEO — all of it.

Taking a shuddering breath, Tim turned to head back to his room so he could start the first of many practice resignation letters.



The End