Past Relations

By Nicole

First of all, Seaquest and its characters do not belong to me. I borrowed them for my personal fantasies and I hope you enjoy the story. I'm not sure yet how many parts there will be but criticisms are always welcome. Warning, in keeping with the weirdness of of season two, this story will be weird, very weird. If you thought Aliens, drugged out psychics, giant alligators,
and bitter greek Gods strange what til you get a load of . . . guess you'll just have to wait and see.

Extra note: Certain first season characters never left. Kristen Westphalen remained as Chief science officer but took on Wendy as her assistant. Kristen and Nathan's relationship progressed naturally. Also Krieg remained as supply and morale officer.




Past Relations
By Nicole


Prologue

"How're things on board?" The petite brunette smiled over the vid-link. Absently she played with her glasses.

"Normal, I guess." The young man answered vaguely almost afraid she would read his thoughts and know the truth. Afraid and yet hopeful.

"What's wrong? What's happened?" Worriedly she looked at his bowed head, a clear indication that something was wrong. His eyes could never lie.

Lucas looked up slowly. Besides Darwin and Dagwood, Julianna was his best friend. At one time there had been a romance but they settled down to a close friendship. All in all she understood him better than most people.

"They forgot." The words were barely a whisper but she heard him. At her puzzled look he continued. "They forgot my birthday."

"What?" The disbelief was clear. These people who called themselves his friends, the reason he even stayed on SeaQuest and they forgot the most important day of his life. "Lucas, your birthday was over two weeks ago."

"I know. It gets worse. Remember what I told you about the captain? How he made such a big deal about my seventeenth birthday. He promised me that no matter what else happened we would at least eat breakfast together. I thought he of all people would remember. I even went to his cabin that morning. There was a table set up nice with real flowers and everything. I felt like such an idiot when Kristen came in and sat down. The Captain asked me if I needed to talk to him about something and if not he and Kristen had a breakfast date. He was nice about it and Kristen even invited me to stay but I could see they wanted to be alone, so I left."

"And the absolutely worse part is that Tony and Tim came to me later that night for help on Miguel's birthday party." He snorted loudly. "He gave this big speech about everyone being like family and how much it meant for him to know how much we all cared." He could feel the tears sting his eyes as he remembered the party. Like a good like boy he had helped set it up. He had been determined that his friend would have a great party and was happy for him. But watching everyone crowd around Miguel and congratulate him had almost been too much to bear.

"I'm so sorry." She reached her hand out to the screen as if to touch him. "I don't know what else to say. I'd suggest letting Mycroft and I invade your systems but I have a hunch they would just get you to fix things. Of course if you were to suddenly come down with something..." For the first time in weeks, Lucas smiled. The more he thought about it the funnier it got.

"I could just imagine something you guys would cook up. Probably have Bridger and the rest of them running around like chickens with their heads cut off." He laughed so hard that his long imprisoned tears finally escaped. His chuckles soon turned into soft cries. Silently Julianna sat and watched her friend. She knew there was nothing she could do from this distance but give him the comfort of being there for him. Suddenly his PAL chirped. He wiped the tears from his eyes and cleared his throat.

"Lucas here."

"Lucas, the Captain needs you on the bridge." Tim O'Neill's disembodied voice rang out.

"On my way." With a flick of his wrist the Pal was turned off and thrown onto the bed. He looked into her eyes and saw the anger there. "Don't do anything." After a moment she nodded. As he sat before her she watched his face transform from heartbroken to expressionless.

"How do you do that?"

"Practice. Sometimes the only way to survive is to change. I'll call you later, ok?" After closing down the link he made his way to the bridge, his features once again that of a carefree teenager.


Three days after the call from Julianna, Lucas found himself in the wardroom with the senior staff. He glanced around at the others dispassionately. A part of him wanted to rant about the injustice of finding a family to only have them turn out to be like his real one. Another part wanted to end the charade of his life, to stop pretending to be some shy antisocial misfit and be himself, whoever that might be. So distracted by his musings he almost missed the question thrown at him.

"Lucas, how much did you find about the Dremora Colony?" Captain Bridger smiled at the young genius. Looking around he noticed absently that he was not the only one to catch the wandering look in his pale eyes.

"Not much. Mostly the usual press release. Because they're built under and above the ground, they're able to study a variety of subjects. In the ten years of operation they have made tremendous headway in the treatment of mental illnesses especially schizophrenia and depression and are now within a few months of finding a cure for the virus that killed Brody's mother. All in all, they're impressive." He smiled slightly at the look on Brody's face at the mention of his mother.

"Are you serious Lucas?" Brody looked at his young friend with a mixture of hope and fear.

"Absolutely. Apparently someone sent them a copy of your mothers file along with a blood sample. With that they have been able to do in a couple a months what would have taken the UEO years to create. No one within the UEO has seen the facilities and they refuse any funding from the organization."

"But, without funding how do they operate?" Kristen sat forward in her seat. "And what about supplies?"

"Well as far as I can tell they have one main contributor whose identity is wrapped in so many layers of computer crap, it'd take me months to find out. This person gives them millions, their equipment is updated every six months, and the staff is hand picked by the head doctor Krista St. Masters."

"What do we know about her?" Commander Ford noticed the way Lucas' voice raised slightly at the mention of the woman.

"Not much. Late starter. Graduated head of her class at the age of twenty-nine. Her life before college and after starting the colony are complete blanks."

"For obvious reasons, the UEO wants to establish a relationship with Dremora and Dr. St. Masters. Our mission is to send a delegation to the Colony for two weeks to observe and hopefully ascertain whether or not an alliance is plausible. Due to the peaceful nature of this assignment the away team will consist of Dr. Smith, Henderson, Brody, Piccolo, Krieg, Lucas and myself. We will be arriving in an hour. I expect everyone to be on their best behavior," He glanced over at Krieg and Piccolo. "And that's an order."

Sitting opposite Lonnie who piloted the small craft, Nathan wondered absently why Lucas had smiled softly when he asked him to look up information on Dr. St. Masters He rubbed his chin and looked over at the teen-aged genius. If he wasn't mistaken, the boy looked almost excited. Perhaps it was the rush of being included on a mission with them, but he noticed how Lucas didn't talk to the others unless asked a question. In the end he decided to chalk it up to teenage hormones. He was soon to find just how wrong he was.


Because no contact had been received from the Colony, Bridger decided to dock on land. Several times on the walk to the facilities main gate he had to reach ahead a pull Lucas back. Although their mission was peaceful, as Captain he wanted to be prepared for anything. Worriedly he glanced back at Wendy and nodded his head towards Lucas. Understanding the question she could only shrug. Being a psychic meant she followed a code of honor. Unless she felt the lives of her crew and friends were at stake she would not go into another persons mind without permission. Although she had noticed Lucas' odd behavior over the past few weeks, with everything that had happened she had only been able to offer her ear if he wished to talk. Of course he had never taken her up on the proposition. She was startled out of her thoughts by laser shots fired inches from Lieutenant Brody's feet. Krieg and Piccolo who had been playing a loud game of paper-rock-scissors grabbed Wendy and pulled her back. Brody and Henderson scattered to opposite sides and attempted to sight the sniper. Just as Bridger moved to the side he realized that Lucas was no longer behind him. As he looked up, his heart stopped. All anyone could do was watch as Lucas walked up to the gate and held his arms out at his sides. Silence. No one dared breath in case that one inhalation caused lasers to riddle the young scientists body. Seconds stretched into what seemed hours but was actually only a minute before a voice rang out over the Comm system.

"Well I'll be damned!"


When the blast scattered the dirt, his jubilant stride never wavered. There wasn't a moment where he feared for his life. At one point a perverse voice whispered from the far reaches of his mind how great it would be if he were shot, an easy out. With practiced ease he squashed the voice and stood before the vid-screen and stood like a sacrifice.


"Well I'll be damned!"

The gate opened barely making a noise. Without acknowledging his companions, Lucas walked on. He could hear them calling to him as clearly as he heard the birds in the trees. Their whispers turned to shouts and yet he pressed on. His overworked mind only registered the two figures that emerged from the colony's main entrance. The man was given only a slight glance over but the smiling woman at his side held Lucas' attention. Suddenly his feet began to run as she came toward him. Behind him he could hear the others closing in but he didn't care. Finally they stood before each other afraid to move and disturb the exquisite dream they were in. He looked at her closely now.

She wore her almost forty years well. With the exception of her raven hair, she looked the same as she did when last they meet. Even with the major change of hairstyle and color, from long sun-bleached tresses to professional shoulder length ebony locks, he would have known her eyes. Her captivating sapphire eyes. Those eyes had always held love and compassion for him and now the looked on with relief.

"Lucas." Her voice was like a long waited for breeze. It flowed over his skin and released them both from the spell woven around them. Before another word was spoken they were enveloped within each other's arms. The SeaQuest crew looked on silently with a mixture of disbelief and confusion. Just as Bridger was about to speak, the overlooked gentleman interrupted.

"I would suggest you put your weapons away." The middle-aged man looked at Lonnie Henderson and Jim Brody. "For Lucas' sake, I would hate it if our defense system decided you were hostile." He pointed up at the mounted lasers. Looking to Nathan for orders they reluctantly lowered their weapons.

"Two seconds here and he already has a chick all over him. The kids a natural." Piccolo nudged Krieg who looked appreciatively at the woman.

"Excuse me?" She looked up from Lucas' shoulder with cold eyes leveled at Tony. He held her gaze for a moment but her indignation was stronger than his male pride and he looked away. "Thought so." She pulled back from Lucas, smoothing some of his wayward locks away from his face. No words were necessary between them. Everything was unspoken but loud enough for all to hear.

"Damn, Kris. Let the boy breathe." The man laughed and held out his arms. "It's been to long." Lucas reached over and hugged him, but never released his hold on Krista.

"Excuse me, Dr. St. Masters I presume?" Bridger decided to try to take back a little control of the mission. He silently promised that he and Lucas would have a long talk later. "I'm Captain Nathan Bridger of the Seaquest and these are some of my crew: Dr. Wendy Smith, Lieutenant Brody..." She cut him off mid introduction.

"Why are you here?" He voice was iced over with a strong hint of dislike. He wondered if it was for the UEO in general or him personally.

"We're here on behalf of the United Earth's Ocean/Organization."

" If you're here to attempt some kind of partnership or whatever the hell they call being assimilated now, don't waste your breath. We're not interested in anything you have to say or offer!" She looked back at Lucas and the ice melted. "But seeing as this will give us a chance to visit Lucas, you can stay for the two weeks stated in your request. Let us move inside were there are others waiting to see you. T.J. go make sure our newest employee knows he's here." He went ahead followed by a Lucas and Krista. Bridger looked at his people who were all dumb-founded and shrugged.

Shaking his head he moved to follow thinking this was going to be a very long two weeks.

Before anyone could sit down once they reached a conference room a soft voice rang out.

"Lucas!" A brown-haired girl ran through the door and straight into Lucas arms.

"Julianna! But how?" He hugged his best friend and looked to Krista for answers.

"Don't look at me. She came highly qualified." Krista smiled at the young man, completely ignoring the crew.

"When you told me about this place, I contacted Krista. It's perfect. Even better than Node Three. Can you believe they gave me free reign over the computers? Even Mycroft never did that." Her eyes shone at finally being able to hold her best friend again.

"Amazing." Lucas vocabulary seemed to be stuck on simple words. " How long have you been here?" Julianna had the grace to look slightly ashamed.

"Since shortly after the Seaquest was recommissioned. I know I should have told you but I wanted it to be surprise. Surprise!" She giggled. "Besides after our last talk I thought it might upset you a little." Her tone grew serious. "But we'll discuss it later." Meaningfully she finally looked over at the Captain.

"Why don't we all sit." Krista pressed a button by her seat and spoke. "Devon, could you and the others report to conference room one. And bring security passes. Six partials and one full. We'll program the partials in here." She looked back at the Captain. "Now as to sleeping arrangements, most of you will have to share. Many of the guest quarters are undergoing renovations." Looking over at the doctor and Henderson, "You ladies can share suite 17," Then to Krieg and Piccolo, "Neanderthal boy and the guy with the staring problem can share suite 18, and Captain Bridger and Brody was it, can have suite 19." She ignored Tony's outraged gasp. "As soon as the others arrive and we explain where you can and can not go, I'll have T.J. or Devon show you to your wing."

"Excuse me doctor, but what about Lucas?" The relationship and secretive nature between the boy and this woman intrigued Wendy. She and the other girl seemed to flock his sides in support and neither acted to impressed with the rest of them.

"Lucas has his own quarters in the main hall with the rest of us." She looked at him strangely, "But you had no idea that he knew us here, right?"

She smiled slightly. "This must be a shock to all of you." She stopped as the rest of her main staff entered. First there was T.J. followed by two women and a man all of whom greeted Lucas with a hug and warmth. After they were seated they introduced themselves.

"T.J. St. Masters. I'm head of security and resident linguist." He looked to the woman to his right.

"Devon Michaels. Second in command. I oversee all experiments and the general upkeep of this colony." Her emerald eyes sparkled with mischief as she ran fingers through her fiery hair. "As well as keep certain individuals on their toes."

"I think she preferring to me, but I'm quite certain it an embellishment. The names Nicholas Michaels, I'm head of the undersea department and resident jokester."

"Spare us Nick. Julianna Roberts, head of computers, resident hacker, and all around sweet angel." She smiled at Lucas' shocked face.

"Is this the same angel who helped set up node three?"

"Or hooked me up with a free playgirl channel?" Devon added.

"Or got me off the unfounded parking tickets?" Nick laughed at the blush that spread over her face.

"Absolutely not. That was an evil clone of me sent by evil people to besmirch my spotless reputation." She spoke with a straight face.

"Anyway, I'm Dr Angela Brown, head of the above ground research department." Her melodic voice rang above the controlled confusion of the game the others were playing. "And I suggest we move on with the programming of the passes." She looked pointedly at Devon who rolled her eyes. All in all Bridger wasn't extremely impressed with their behavior.

"Fine. Captain, if you will pass these out to your crew." Devon handed him the six passes. "You all have partial clearance and called a map of the compound. "You may walk around freely so long as you do not go into sections Alpha, Beta and Gamma. These are highly restricted areas. Forgetfulness will be no excuse because once you step to close to these areas your bands with alert you and us. It is highly recommended that you turn back. If you disobey you will be held accountable for your actions and be subject to our laws." She handed the last band to Lucas. Without a word he put his on and the others followed suit. They realized suddenly that the bands were now grafted to their skin. "Don't be alarmed. For our protection and your own, no one is able to remove their bands until their stay is over. It also acts as a communication device and tracker."

"Why didn't you warn us about this?" Although his question was aimed at Devon, Nathan stared at Lucas who was uncharacteristically quiet. In fact his eyes were closed and his face was slightly pale. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. He's just getting accustomed to his band. Those of us with full clearance have bands that also monitor our health. The feeling is quite uncomfortable at first but we get used to it." T.J. answered before anyone else and received a hard look from Krista. He shrugged. Lucas shook his head and seemed to recover. Both Krista and Julianna reached over and touched his forehead. Lucas could only roll his eyes at the attention but everyone could tell that he was enjoying it.

"I would suggest people that we retire for the day. Tomorrow stands to be a long and tedious one. T.J., Julianna and I will show our guest to their quarters. The rest of you know what to do." Krista waited until they all nodded their heads. "Ladies and gentleman," She said the words with a hint of derision. "If you'll follow me."


The following day Julianna gave them a tour of the facility. Nathan noticed immediately the absence of one of his crew.

"Where's Lucas?" He watched as her face grew slightly red.

"With the others. Everyone decided to take the day off and celebrate." They all noticed that she seemed a little put out by her exclusion.

"What's the story with Lucas and the Ice Queen?" Tactlessly Tony called out. "And why hasn't he ever mentioned her before if they're so chummy?"

Suddenly she stopped and turned on the group. Her eyes blazed as she looked at each of them in turn. "First of all, it's his business and if he wants to tell you he will in his own time. Secondly, I'd watch what I said about Krista, I've seen her personally and physically toss an Amazion Ambassador out on his ass because his sexist remarks got on her nerves. Third, I don't like you. Any of you. And if I thought for a moment I could convince him to leave, I'd have Lucas here with me. My duty today is to act as tour guide. If you want the latest scoop on your Computer Analyst, I'd suggest you not waste my time any further." She stood, her chest heaving, and waited for a response.

"Little girl, I don't know what's wrong with you or anyone else that we've met but I don't understand the attitude. First we get shot at, a fact that no one has apologized for I might add, and then we get the cold shoulder from everyone including Lucas!" Tony stepped forward but was restrained by Captain Bridger.

"That's enough Mr. Piccolo." Throwing a warning glance to Wendy and Henderson he turned back to Julianna. "I apologize for my crewman's outburst. Even you have to see how strange this all seems to us." He stopped as her band beeped.

"Julianna here." She held her wrist up and waited.

"How's the tour going?" Nick's deep voice rang out.

"As well as could be expected."

"Figures. You might want to bring them to the lounge."

"What's going on?" Her brow creased slightly.

"A party. Krista and Devon rolled out the good stuff. Since everyone's awake they might as well attend but warn them to be on their best behavior. You know how she gets."

"On my way. Julianna out." She dropped her wrist and turned back to the group. Gone was the snarling demon leaving behind a smiling cherub. "Please follow me. I'll answer any questions you have on the way.

"O...K..." Krieg was the first to recover and follow. Maybe it was his association with Lucas that made him almost immune to the mood swings but he like so many adults before simply chalked it up to teenage hormones. "How many people live here?"

"Besides the main staff, about twenty-five. All of which are proficient in most of the areas we study. That way no one section is ever under or over staffed. I t saves time not having to worry about so and so standing around trying not to get in anyone's way." She smiled and pointed down a hallway as they passed. "That's Section Beta. Don't ever go there. Trust me I know."

"Why? Don't you have full access?" Brody looked down the hall, memorizing it in case. He was yet to be impressed by their hosts.

"Nope. I have more access than you do but essentially I can't go to those sections either." She walked on to a set of double doors but was stopped by Lonnie's hand on her shoulder.

"Must be hard not being trusted by your employers." Her voice held a note of sympathy for the young girl that was soon crushed under her icy gaze.

"Save your sappy pity for yourselves. They trust me fully. Besides what I don't know can't hurt me." She swung the doors open to the loudest party Nathan had heard since his college days. Walking further into the room they were greeted to a very drunken executive staff, a slightly tipsy group of scientist, a very drunk teenager, and a karaoke machine. At the moment Devon and Nick were attempting to sing 'I got you babe' and failing horribly. Lucas was sitting on a table to their right looking for a song and drinking a clear liquid straight from the bottle, which was already half empty. Feeling their eyes on him, he looked up with a silly grin on his face. "Captain! Guys! Join the party!" He giggled stupidly as Julianna walked up to him and took his bottle away. Just as Nathan was going to thank her, she raised it to her lips and took a large gulp. Looking over at his shocked expression, both teens fell over in rasping laughs. Wendy could feel the waves of anger washing over her from Nathan and reached over to him.

"Calm down. Go with it for now. We'll talk to him tonight if he's in any shape to talk. Besides the hangover from this will be enough punishment." She smiled hesitantly at him. Slowly he nodded and scanned the room for Krista. He found her standing by the "refreshment" table holding a glass. When she looked up at him he shook his head. She only smiled. Both their attentions were caught as Devon and Nick grabbed Lucas and pulled up to the mike.

"I couldn't find anything. Of course I can't see straight either." He giggled again at his joke. "What do you wanna hear?" He looked to Krista. Even with the noise from the party Lucas heard her voice.

"Our song." Her eyes were slightly sad but she knew it was something he needed.

His smile slipped a little as he nodded. T.J., manning the machine, knew instinctively what he was about to sing and found the appropriate music. Krista walked up and stood beside Julianna. She knew they had once been together and that in his heart Lucas would be singing to them both. Heart-wrenching music floated over the crowd and they quieted down as he began his song completely sober. The SeaQuest crew stood in awe of their friend as his pain laced the words of the song

There's no time for us
There's no place for us
What is this thing that builds our dreams
Yet slips away from us

His shimmering eyes held Krista first and then Julianna. Both women reached out slowly and held each others hand, intuition telling them that they both hurt.

Who wants to live forever
Who wants to live forever

Bridger looked at the boy and wondered about his relationship with these people. Obviously it was a painful on at some time but he seemed to embrace them openly. More pieces to a puzzle that wasn't shaping up.

There's no chance for us
It's all decided for us
This world has only one sweet moment
Set aside for us

Lonnie felt a tear fall from her eyes as she looked from the young man to the two women before him. She didn't care that he withheld information vital to their mission. She only cared that these people were hurting.

Who wants to live forever
Who dares to love forever
When love must die

Tony looked at his friend and couldn't help remembering the episode involving Sandra. He hoped that whatever the young scientist was mixed up in wasn't a repeat of the mistake that had almost cost him his life.

But touch my tears with your lips
Touch my world with your fingertips
And we can have forever
And we can love forever
Forever is our today

Wendy held her hand to her lips and tried to close herself away from the pain. She could feel it radiating from his body like heat. It pushed at her senses, stealing her breath until she all but past out, falling into Krieg's arms.

Who wants to live forever
Who wants to live forever
Who waits forever anyway?

His song over, silence filled the room as the crowd digested what they had just heard. Most, regular staff, credited the alcohol for the real mourning sound of his words. After all what could a child know about lost love? The rest simply grieved for all involved. Oddly enough it was Brody who broke the silence by applauding. Startled Lucas looked over and let the liquor flood his senses again. Wearing a goofy rock star grin he took a huge bow that threatened to topple him. Swayed by the crowds pleads for more and something upbeat, he impishly grabbed Krista, Julianna, Devon, Nick, Angela and T.J. Smiling at their blank expressions he punched in the combination for the next song. Julianna was the first to recognize the song and jumped into it with everyone else. The seven of them suddenly broke out into "Backstreets Back".

With the talent of an actual musical group they got everyone singing. Good naturedly Lucas danced his way over to Lonnie and Wendy and pulled them back with him. Caught up in the relaxed mood neither could help but sing along and try to match the complicated moves being performed. The end of the song left only Captain Bridger and Lieutenant Brody not enjoying the party each for their own reasons.

Brody couldn't believe that these drunken scientists were all that stood between his mother and an eternity of being trapped in the limbo of cryogenics. Nathan was absolutely flabbergasted at his crew's behavior. With one last look at Lucas bumping and grinding between Julianna and Wendy, he turned crisply on his heel and left. A beat later Brody followed. From the corner of his eye, Lucas watched.

The morning party flowed over into the late afternoon until everyone decided to call it a day. Lucas stumbled along between Tony and Ben as they escorted him to what he thought would be his quarters. When the door opened they found Nathan and Brody sitting, talking about their predicament. Conversation ended as everyone else piled into the small chamber. No one wanted to miss the explanation they felt they were due. Suddenly quiet Lucas moved over to a chair and turned it so he could straddle it. Calmly he waited.

"Well, what do you have to say for yourself?" Nathan stood slowly. Lucas rolled his eyes at the melodrama. "First you withheld vital information, now you're ignoring your friends and drinking underage! Dammit Lucas, you're only seventeen! You can't grow up as fast as you want. You're old enough to know the difference between right and wrong and I want some answers!" Just as Wendy was about step forward she was almost knocked off her feet by rolls of rage. At first she thought it belonged to the Captain but he was more hurt than angry. Sick realization swept through her as she looked at the young scientist. Although his face was calm, his eyes were on fire.

"You want the story? Fine, she was my nanny. She raised me when my parents didn't want to be bothered. The three of them had a falling out and she left. End of story. This is the first time I've seen her in eight years. Yea I knew this mission would fail. No one here wants anything to do with the UEO or any government. They want to be left alone to do their research." Standing slowly he looked around at their shocked faces. After all it wasn't everyday that their pacifist crewmember spoke with such cold hatred. "And if I've ignored you, forgive me. It's not everyday that I meet someone I used to care for." He stopped for a breath and glanced at the door. "Come in Jules, I'm sure you wanna hear this too." The young girl walked into the room and stood next to him. "And so I have a little fun. Is it gonna kill me? Doubtful. Someone throws me a party and you get your long johns in a bunch. Is any of this about me or is it the fact I didn't tell you?"

"I don't know where this attitude is coming from but it ends now! As soon as I get a hold of a vid-screen, I'm contacting the Seaquest and getting us all out of here, pronto!" Nathan stepped forward a little. "And when we get back, you and I are going to have a little heart to heart about all of this."

"No we won't. If you wanna go back now, fine, but I'm not done visiting. I'm officially request a leave of absence."

"Denied." His words were cold and final.

"Then I quit. Find yourself another sucker to play with your computers!"

"Dammit Luke! Don't do this again. Didn't you learn anything from the Sandra incident? Chicks ain't worth it!" Tony moved in front of Lucas. "What happens if you stay and they toss you over? Where will you go then?"

"Get outta my face Tony." The words seemed strained to their ears. "You didn't know what was going on then and you certainly don't know what's going on here." He looked back at Julianna who could no longer be silent.

"Enough! Why are you acting like this? He's your friend. And as for this Sandra thing, if you're talking about Sandra Kirby, that was my fault more than his." She stopped.

"Explain. Now." Could Bridger's face get any redder?

"One of my cousins was a part of her organization. When he found out what she had planned for Lucas and your vessel, he contacted me immediately. I called Lucas. We knew that without proof there was nothing we could do, but wait. With the help of a few other friends we hatched the plan to get her out in the open. Lucas' beacon was planted in the computer weeks before the incident. Sandra was nuts. She wanted the power to save the world but she became ruled by her need to become her father. He never planned on leaving Seaquest for her. It was for show. He did it all to protect you and you ship." She tried to rub the pain away from behind her eyes unsuccessfully.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Lonnie looked sadly at them.

"You all believed that I would just up and leave over someone I just meant. Didn't feel the need to disillusion you." His voice still held the coldness and a soft whine began to fill the room. Chagrined, Nathan held on to the picture of Lucas with the bottle to his lips.

"That still doesn't explain the party! Or the drinking. What about that." He noticed how Lucas stiffened.

"They felt sorry for me and wanted to give me a party. If that's a crime arrest me now and get it over with. If not, I'm outta here!" He turned away pulling Julianna behind him. At the last second she disengaged her hand and looked back at them. At first she just looked as if gauging if they should know the truth or not.

"It was a birthday party. One long overdue. And when you left you ruined it for him." Her voice was soft and sad.

"What're you talking about?" Bridger looked around at his crew's confusion.

"He's eighteen now. Because of your selfish actions you no longer have a hold on him." She turned and left, closing the door on their silence.

"Dear God what have we done?" Nathan ran a hand over his face as memories surfaced. He could see Lucas shining face on his island as he promised to celebrate his next birthday with at least a breakfast together. He remembered how he looked when Kristen came in and sat down at the table in his cabin weeks ago. Snippets of conversations invaded his thoughts. From Kristen on how much time Lucas was spending with Dagwood and Darwin. From Krieg and Tony on the missed poker nights and shore leaves. All this time without a word spoken of his hurt and they had simply overlooked it all with the convenient garbage about hormones.

"Captain, what is it?" Lonnie looked on in concern for her superior, as puzzled as everyone else.

"We missed his birthday. I missed his birthday."

"Impossible. Luke can't keep a secret..." Tony's voice trailed off as he realized just how many secrets Lucas had been keeping. "When was it?"

"The twenty-eighth of February. What?" He noticed how Tony paled.

"Now I feel like the biggest ass. We went to him for help on Miguel's party. He looked uncomfortable at first but I thought he just wanted to work on his computer. We laid it on pretty thick and guilted him into helping." Tony fell heavily on the bed. "Poor kid."

"Tony, you couldn't have known. When Lucas doesn't want anyone to know what he's feeling, no one will. He's very good at hiding himself away from people." Wendy tried to assure him even as self-doubts exploded through her. Why hadn't she seen this? She was the ships' counselor. She should have known that something was wrong.

"Don't beat yourself up either Wendy. If anyone is to blame it's me. I made promises to him that I forgot." He bowed his head for a moment. "I have to find him. I have to apologize."

"Save your breath Bridger. He doesn't need your sympathy." Krista walked into the room. "You pushed him to far this time."

"Listen Doctor; Right now I don't really care what you have to say. I'm going after him. I'm going to make him listen to me and then we're leaving." He moved but not very far.

"Are you listening to yourself? You're going to make him listen? You're so full of the 'Great Captain Bridger' crap that you think it'll be all right if you say so! It won't. The damage has been done and you're going to have to accept that Lucas isn't a child that can be ordered to forget his pain. He hasn't been a child for a long time." She stepped into his path and pointed a finger at him. "And if you think I'll just let you walk away with him, you're sadly mistaken. You want to leave, go. Right now. Pack your things and get off my property. But lay one hand on him and I'll kill you!" Her eyes flashed and he didn't doubt her words for a second. But since he was never one to be cowed by anyone, he went to push her aside.

The next few seconds were a blur. One moment he was putting his hand on her arm and the next she had him in a chokehold. Her eyes were insane as she added a little more pressure when Brody and Henderson brought their weapons up.

"You can shoot me, but your Captain'll die before I do!" She growled out at them. "I let someone take him from me once, I won't watch it again. I should kill you now..."

"But you won't!" Lucas re-entered the room followed by a shocked Julianna and an amused T.J. "Let him go! Now!" He stood between her and the others.

"Why should I? He hurt you! They all did!" Krista seemed to be calming down but only slightly.

"Don't make me hate you." His simple statement caught her attention immediately. Like a scolded child she released Bridger who fell to his knees gasping for breath. Wendy ran over to examine him making sure to stay clear of the argument.

"You would do that to me of all people? For them?" Incredulously she looked deep within his eyes and saw a clarity that wasn't there before. She watched as his eyes iced over.

"I will not stand by and watch you hurt my friends!"

"Friends? After the way they treated you like a child, you can still call them that? How?" She took a step toward him.

"If I turned against everyone I cared about who hurt me, don't you think you'd be the first on my list?" Livid, he rushed on, fueled by a sudden revelation. "Would I be here with you now?" Her face paled.

"My office! Now!" Krista turned and stalked down the hall. Lucas followed angrily with T.J. close behind. He slammed the glass door effectively shutting out anyone else who might have followed such as Tony and Nathan. Although they couldn't hear what was being shouted they could see the tension in all three. Even so, they were both shocked when Lucas reached over and picked up the paperweight.


"What the hell is going on?" Krista turned on them the minute the door slammed. "After all they've done to you, you still defend them? Why?" Her eyes blazed at the boy.

"I've watched you. You act how they expect you to when they will it! The Lucas I know wouldn't do that!"

"And which Lucas do you know? Which one do you claim?" His voice was a harsh plea. She looked at him in confusion. "All my life I've been what everyone else expected me to be. The little adult who appears for show and then retreats until called upon again. I can't handle all of you pulling me in different directions. I'm not a puppet for you to yank my strings! Can't you of all people see that?" His band whined softly in the background. "You want me to be this super assertive adult, they want their precocious child genius, and I just want to stop!" He held his hands up to his face and screamed.

"And what was that little statement you made before supposed to mean?" She stood straight ignoring the whine from her own band.

"First you tell me you'll never leave, the next day you're gone! And all without ever telling me you were my real mother!" He smiled bitterly at her sharp intake of breath. "Yea, I knew! I always knew! Just like I knew those stories about the Dremorians were real. I wanted to hate you! God how I wanted to hate you! I mean what else was I supposed to think? My only friend in the world decides not to tell me she's my mother and then after telling me how much she loves me, she disappears into the night!"

"I had no choice! They made..." He cut her off with a wave of his hand.

"I know. They had you arrested on a trumped up charge. Who'd you think got you out?" Her face paled considerably. Behind him T.J. stood silently, flinching at his angry voice. "My first big hack. I even convinced myself that you would come back for me. I had a bag packed and ready to go. But you never came. I waited in that hellhole for years! And you never came! I took the beatings and the words because in my heart I believed you would come back for me! But that seems to be a habit with me. First waiting for you to remember me and now waiting for them to realize I exist as a person and not a damn machine!" He picked up the snow cone paperweight and threw it at the opposite wall. He watched it shatter in slow motion as he felt his heart shatter, beat per tinkling shard.

"By the gods I wanted to come back, but they warned me. If I came near you or contacted you in anyway, you wouldn't live long enough to be my son! I wanted you! More than you'll ever know but there were other factors to consider. I had to think of your welfare."

"What other factors? You mean that whole alien thing. I didn't care. You may not be human but they were the monsters. Have you seen the scars? They tried to destroy me! They broke me hundreds of times over and you were thinking of my welfare! Look at me! I didn't give a damn if your freaking mother-ship came to wipe out this planet! I wanted my mother and she wasn't there!" As he looked at the tears on Krista's face he relented some. "I never wanted to hurt you. I don't want to hurt anyone but before you question my reasoning look to the past for your answers. I can't live with that kind of hate. If I allow it to eat away at me, I'll become my hate. I swear I'll end it before I bring that kind of pain on anyone. So forgive me if I hold my pain inside and excuse my friends. I've been doing it so long that I don't know what else to do. I don't know what else to be." They stood facing each other breathing hard. Outside the door, Tony and Bridger looked on unable to enter the room and lend support to their friend.

They were startled when he turned suddenly and yanked open the door. They moved toward him but stopped short at the angry snarl that curled his lip. With barely more that a glance in their direction he took off running. As one they looked to the fallen Krista being held by her brother. Seeing the strong woman reduced to a trembling mess sent chills down their backs. With a determination backed by motherly love, Krista stood gently and followed after her son. Instinctively she found him outside standing at the cliff looking over the ocean. Gingerly she stepped beside him. After a moment he spoke.

"Fill in the blanks. Please."

"When I first came to this place, it was as a scout. I was sent to ascertain whether this world was suitable to us. What better way to observe than as the assistant to the great Lawrence Wolenczak? I was naive back then. I believed his words of love and forever. A part of me knew it was a lie but no one had ever held me the way he did. I let him get to me." She stopped to brush a wayward tear from her cheek. "Anyway one thing lead to another and you were conceived. That in itself was a miracle. On my world children were no longer born. They were created in artificial wombs. We were a race of infertile people. I was scared so I sent word to my brother and he came over. He helped hide my pregnancy from the council. We were afraid if they knew about you, the first child actually born to a Dremorian, they'd want to examine you. We are not known for our compassion. We're a savage race to preoccupied with domination to really grow. So self centered we changed our name to the Dremorian world for God." She reached out for his hand. "They would have ripped you apart if it meant finding out the secret of your conception. The others have tried to conceive and failed. They tested me and I don't even possess the proper genes to conceive. You were my miracle." She reached a trembling hand to his face.

"To protect you I gave you up. Cynthia was barren. I thought they would be good parents for you. Even so I couldn't just walk away so I changed my identity and made Lawrence take me on as your nanny. Those ten years I watched you grow were the happiest days I have ever spent. Every time you laughed or smiled I memorized it." She laughed softly. "The day you accidentally called me 'mom' caused Cynthia to realize some hard truths. She was already unstable and she threatened to drag your father through the media muck with accusations of embezzlement and adultery. For a man of his caliber he couldn't afford that much bad publicity especially with the world power plant idea on the line. I over heard them talking and like an overemotional idiot I confronted them. They lied to my face and the next day had me arrested. The terms of my release were that I stay away from you. Give up all my rights. I refused until the warning came, my promise or your life. I gave in. I was released soon after. With a vengeance I threw myself into the creation of this colony. A mystery investor signed on and there you have it. Our lives in cliff note version." She stopped and looked out over the water. She could feel his stare and she waited. His words shocked her.

"It wasn't an accident."

"What?" She turned toward him.

"When I called you mom. It wasn't an accident. I knew. I knew from the moment I could comprehend the world around me. Your eyes gave you away. They were mommy eyes." He spoke with a soft laugh. "And while we're on this honesty trip, your mystery investor isn't a mystery anymore. Every step of your life after you left, I've known where you were." She gasped sharply. "I followed your career and when I saw that you needed a little help I had my attorney set up the foundation that supplies you."

"But where would you come up with that kind of money?"

"I sold a few programs and invested wisely. Actually since most of my investments are anonymous, with the exception of me and my firm of brokers, no one knows just how much I'm worth." His voice was only tinge with pride. "I have a lot of it tied up in dozens of foundations."

"I know how much you're worth. You're priceless." She hugged him to her and kissed his cheek. "I love you."

"I love you, too." He looked up suddenly as he heard voices nearing them. Headed by T.J. and Nathan, both staffs converged on the pair.


"We have a problem." T.J. looked over at the Captain. "When he called his ship, he was told by his commander of new orders.

"What?" Krista knew her brother would never be this worried over nothing.

"The detainment of Krista St. Masters and her staff for questioning by Section Seven. They're on their way as we speak."

"Why?" So in shock, she could only answer in monotone.

"Julianna went in through Lucas' backdoor and found a file labeled Dremora. Remember that reporter, who did the piece on us, well he had some incriminating evidence. He taped a conversation we had over the councils resent plunge into insanity. They want to bring us in for testing. Kris if we don't leave soon, we never will."

"Prepare everyone else for departure. Tell the others to strip the labs. They can be moved to another location and continue their work. You have to decide if you'll stay on the planet or leave. Now that they know about you, they'll never stop looking for you." Taking control of the situation, Lucas looked to his mother.

"Leave the planet? What are you talking about? What is going on?" Nathan stepped forward as Brody took his side arm and waited.

"Captain, they're not human. And if you try to hold them here, they'll die."

"Oh boy. Explain." He looked to Krista.

"We came to your planet years ago in an attempt to decide if it was suitable for relocation. This was before greed and an overpowering need to conquer other races consumed our people. We only wanted peace. We made the council believe we were dead but loyal Dremorians still sent us word of the volatile nature of our leaders. We settled her to live and help your people. And now your kind would destroy us."

"Captain, this sounds very familiar." Lonnie shuddered at memories that barely surfaced.

"Dr. St. Masters, what's going on. We were ordered to disassemble the labs." A young lab assistant walked up to the group, holding her coat closed from a sudden breeze and addressed her boss. "Is something wrong?"

No, Tessa. We've just decided to relocate for a period of time. You should return to the others and help." With a slight smile for the girls' behalf, she dismissed her.

"I'm sorry but I can't do that." All heads turned to gaze at the transformed woman holding a weapon on them. "Lieutenant Alexandra McMannis, Section Seven. And until further notice you are all under arrest. Captain Bridger if you would be so kind as to relieve your people of their weapons and toss them over the side. I assure you that after this is all settled we will reimburse you fully."

"Oh, I don't think so, Dear!" Angela appeared by her side in a moment, her knee connecting with the soldiers' abdomen twice. As the wrestled for the gun, it accidentally discharged.

"No!" In slow motion everyone looked to Krista but she only had eyes for Lucas. Passively they both slid to the ground. Suddenly Lucas toppled over in her arms. "No!"

Seeing the gaping hole in his chest pushed Angela over the edge. Before anyone could say another word she wrapped her arms around McMannis' head and snapped her neck effortlessly.

"Hold on. We're going to make you all better." Krista tried to hold the tears back but failed.

"No time... Have to leave... Get to safety..." He closed his eyes against the pain.

"We have to get him inside! Help me." Nick stepped forward to pick him up.

"We need to stabilize him." Slipping into Doctor mode She reached for his wrist. Krista grabbed her arm in a vise.

"There is no time. If we don't get him inside now, he will die." In that moment they came to an understanding. "Let's go."


"Do you have what it takes to treat him here?" Bridger had to run to keep up with Krista. She nodded quickly and sped up. As they passed the infirmary, the crew began to worry.

"Were are you taking him?" Tony grabbed Nick's arm.

"Let go! If we can't treat him soon, he will die! There's nothing that can done for him within human means." Shaking him off, he resumed his trek toward the west wing. Almost as if they pasted an invisible line, armbands began to beep. Her hands over ears, Julianna answered their unasked question.

"Section Gamma." Angela spoke into her band and the eerie noise abated.

"This is their medical department." Krista stopped long enough to pass an optic scan and shot through the door.

"Place him over there!" She pointed to a hover-bed in the center of the room. Along the walls, Wendy noticed rows of equipment, some she recognized and a lot she didn't. Lucas instantly snagged her attention as she caught a backlash of pain. She sagged into Nathan's arms. Angela quickly ripped his shirt open and hooked several electrodes to his chest. Nick moved to activate a monitor that showed what appeared to be Lucas' heartbeat. They were all dismayed to see the slow unsteady rhythm of his heart. Krista walked to him and bent down slightly. "Hold on baby, please hold on." Soothingly she whispered into his ear and placed her hand on his chest. "Dammit, do something!" Her plea wasn't aimed at anyone but all felt they should be doing more.

"He's to weak." Devon looked up from her screen. "Kris, without a steady beat, the formation won't hold." Tears formed in her eyes.

"What formation? What the hell are you talking about?" They all ignored his questions. Julianna cried softly into Krieg's shoulder as she realized the implications of her statement. Tony simply shook his head. The only thing he knew for sure was that his best friend was dying and there didn't seem to be a human or non-human thing to do to save him. That is until he saw Krista pick up a scalpel.

"Start the procedure." She placed the blade in the palm of her left hand and sliced it open.

"Kris! You can't do it! No one has even done this in centuries!" T.J. grabbed her arm but instantly let go as her eyes bored into his.

"I said start the procedure! Now!" She held his gaze until he turned away and nodded to Devon. She placed her hand over the wound in his chest. Brody's hand moved to his weapon as the room filled with an irritating hum. Realizing that the noise was coming from the bed, all eyes looked to the scene in the center of the room. Krista's mouth moved in a silent chant as they both rose into the air surrounded by swirling lights. In mid-air, they stopped and the cloudy substance encircling them began to solidify. In the moment before it became diamond hard, Krista pulled Lucas up to her chest and held on to him with all of a mother's love.

"What going on here?" Krieg handed Julianna over to Lonnie who stood with her mouth open. Wendy stared and soon was lost in a trance. She looked with her mind's eye and saw the beauty of what was happening. "What're you doing to him?" T.J. looked up with sad eyes.

"Saving his life, possibly at the expense of another."


"Where are we?" Lucas looked around at the pasture. Krista stood beside him. Her white sundress blew softly in the breeze. Looking closely he noticed differences about her. "What happened to your hair?" She held out her hand to him.

"This is how you always remembered me." Her long blond tresses trailed down her back. She smiled and pulled him along down a cobble stone path that seemed to appear out of no where. "Come with me."

"Where are we going?" Innocently he walked with her.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Her brow creased as she watched his face pale.

"The gun went off. I...I was hit." He looked down at his white shirt and touched his chest. "Does this mean I'm dead?" Phrased as it was, his question seemed to worry more about her appearance in the afterlife.

"No, but you're close. Our technology almost wasn't able to save you but in our legends there was myth told of a woman who helped heal her dying husband when even our best doctors could do nothing. Of course it was before we gave into greed." They came to a cliff that hung over the ocean. Looking up, he could see clouds that formed into a beautiful portrait over the calm sparkling waters. "I'm sharing my life force with you. Just long enough for the crystal to heal you." She silenced his objection with a finger to his lips. "My choice. Don't worry about me, I'll be all right. This place is a sort of limbo. Here you would normally decide whether to move on or not. Today it will serve another purpose." She sat down and gestured for him to join her.

"What purpose?" He knew he should be worried or have reservations about what was happening but something about the place calmed him or maybe it was her presence.

"My gift to you. It is a tradition for our people to gain certain gifts after they reach the age of adulthood. But I know that you have always had one gift. Your intuition has saved you and your friends on more than one occasion. Never question it." She stroked his hair softly and smiled. "You are very special, my son. Soon you will be placed in a horrible situation. The repercussions will be far-reaching and devastating to all involved. Look to the sky and see what your future holds." They both looked up as the sky transformed into a giant viewing screen. In awe he watched as the Seaquest was wrenched from the water by a space ship and transported to another planet. Fearfully he observed the clever ruses played on them by devious aliens. Painfully he witnessed the destruction of Seaquest and the deaths of many of his friends. He looked to with tears in his eyes. Nodding sadly she pointed back to the sky. The scenes changed to show the bridge of his ship but it was different. Darker. Staring open mouthed he looked at the man who sat in the Captain's chair. A man who was not Bridger. Slowly he saw himself walk into the picture. Himself but only as he had seen in his nightmares. His hair hung long, swept back from his face, his Ensigns' uniform spotless, but what scared him the most were his eyes. They were dark as if he had given in to the thing inside him that wanted to give up on the world and love. His eyes told him more than anything else could. He was alone in that world and part of it was his own doing.

"What happened?" He tried to pull away from the hypnotic lure of the now frozen picture of hisself but was unable to break its hold over him.

"Your ship was pulled into a civil war. In the attempt to stop it, many lives were lost. The survivors banded together with the population of freedom fighters and rebuilt your ship and the ship that brought you to that world. Unfortunately no one had the knowledge to rebuild the hyperspace engines needed to return you quickly to your home. Assisted by a man named Tobias, you rigged a temporary engine that could jump space a few years at a time. While the rest of the crew went into stasis for the long trip home, you remained awake to rebuild the engine after each span. It took ten long years to reach Earth but you finally succeeded."

"You said Tobias. As in half-human Tobias from the planet Hyperion? That's where were going isn't it? To fight the Kraytax." She nodded solemnly and he could tell she was holding something back from him. Pushing it aside he focused on his picture again. "I was awake for ten years? But I look the same." He pointed upward. "How?"

"Our life spans are exceeding long, Darling. When we will it, we can slow the molecules in our bodies so that we age at a slower rate. Tobias sensed want you were and told you most of our secrets. And with ten years alone, you became quite adept at using all your gifts. That may be why you changed so much. Ten years alone..." He voice trailed off.

"What happened after we got back? Where's the Captain?" Trusting her words, he was determined to learn all that he could.

"Ten years was a long time to the people of Earth. Things changed. People who were thought to be dead resurfaced if only for small moments leaving behind precious gifts." She pointed up again and the picture changed to show a little boy holding on to Nathan's hand.

"Robert?"

"His son. Bridger will leave Seaquest to raise his grandson. You will enlist to remain on the only home you have ever claimed and your destiny will be altered forever." She looked at him meaningfully.

"You said 'will be'? Does that I mean this doesn't have to happen?" He looked hopefully as plans ran through his mind.

"Nothing is ever certain until it happens and even then there are moments when time is changed. Some things are meant to happen. You must go to this planet. If you don't your world will be invaded by the Kraytax. They will imprison your people and strip mine your world until there is nothing left. It is imperative that you go but beyond that moment what happens is changeable." A frown crossed her face but soon disappeared.

"Why did you show me this?" He reached for her hand and they stood.

"My parting gift to you. A chance not to become the monster in your nightmares. An opportunity for my son to live." She doubled over in pain. "Come we must hurry! There is still much you must know about yourself and our people and so little time."

They walked to the edge of the cliff as she spoke, explaining their history and the things they could do. She could feel her body draining and she spoke faster. Lucas absorbed the knowledge quickly, storing it away for further use. He was startled when lightning danced across the sky and thunder shook the ground beneath his feet.

"What's happening now?" He screamed to be heard over nature's cries.

"It's time to go back. You will remember everything but must tell no one. Do you understand?" She waited for him to nod. "Good. I love you. I always will." She smiled and grabbed his hand. "Trust me." Leaning forward slightly they jumped out over the ocean. He closed his eyes against the amazing sensations but opened them as he felt her hands slipping from his.

"No!" He reached for her but could only watch as she fell away from him.

"I love you! Remember, I'll always be with you." Her voice faded as she disappeared into a fog that rolled off the water he was quickly approaching.


It started as a soft tinkling, like a fairy's wings fluttering in a breeze, but soon deafened into an ear splitting shatter as the diamond case around the two bodies shattered. The Seaquest crew raised their arms to protect themselves from falling debris that never reached them. Upon bursting the pieces turned back into twirling lights that slowly faded from existence. The bodies were lowered by unseen forces and lay entwined on the hover-bed. A pale hand moved, stroking a raven head, and breathed properly for the first time since he had heard the shot. Before he could move forward, T.J. reached out and helped Lucas sit. Together they supported Krista's lifeless form and held each other, a family grieving. The others gathered around cutting the rest of the room off from their pain. From the center of the mass, a small voice spoke.

"She gave her life for mine." Murmurs, most likely prayers, were heard. "She was loved." Finally the group fell back. Nathan could see Lucas pass her body over to T.J. whose tears could not be held back. "Take her with you. If they have her body, they'll just..." His voice was choked by tears as everyone imagined what they would do with an actually alien body. "Take her to a beautiful world and bury her in a meadow. One that over looks an ocean." Suddenly alarms went off.

Nick looked over to one of the monitors. What he saw chilled his weary heart. "Their here." He could see Section Seven officers at the gate, forcing it open. His hand passed over the defense activation button was stopped by a small voice.

"No more death. There's still time." Lucas stood on shaky legs and looked around. "There's still time. The ship has been ready to go since before the attack. If you go now, no one else has to die." He walked toward Bridger. Go out there and tell them everyone's holed up in on of the off limits sections but you don't know which one. Lead them everywhere, the cafe, the mad-lab, even the bathroom, just stall for time." He cut off their happy words for him with a clap of his hands. "Be happy for me later. All of you go, before they get in the main doors. Wendy stay, please." She nodded and the others went reluctantly.

Running, supported by Wendy and Julianna, Lucas led the group toward another off limit section. There was no worry about the bands because the system had already been disengaged. He could feel the fatigue closing in on him but pushed on. He would see this to its conclusion before he rested. Finally they entered what appeared to be a large empty hanger bay. Devon topped and waved her hand from one side of the room to the next. Shocked, Julianna and Wendy almost dropped Lucas as a ship become visible. It spanned the length

and width of the room perfected almost as if the hanger was built around the ship. It hummed softly in anticipation.

"Hurry, we don't have much time." Lucas pushed away from his supports and stumbled over to the others. "Before you go, know this. I love you all. In my heart you have always been my family." He leaned over Krista's body and kissed her cheek. "I am with you always."

"Lucas, we watched you grow. We knew your heart long before you knew us. You have been the only son we have ever known and for that pleasure we thank you. May the stars guide you always." Angela stepped forward and kissed his cheek. Softly she spoke into his ear. "Your mother's final wish was that you would finish what we started. At first I was hesitant to believe that you could do it but I know now it is what was meant to be. Live long my son, and give 'em hell." She smiled with mischief in her eyes and stepped back.

"Be strong for what lies ahead, Lucas. The road to the future is unsure. Be careful were you step and remember that far away friends await you." T.J. placed his sister's body in Nick's care and walked to Julianna and Wendy.

"Jules, I will miss you. I'm sorry that our acquaintance was so short, but I hope your time here will be remembered fondly." She could only smile through her tears as she hugged him good-bye.

Doctor Smith, after we leave, don't be alarmed if Lucas lapses into a trance like state. He is connected to us all and our departure will be a shock to his system, on top of his recovery and the lose of his...my sister." His words stopped briefly as he heard shouting in the distance. "Keep him warm and the lights dim. Don't try to force him to wake up. He must do it in his own time or there could be damage." He looked deep into her eyes and spoke telepathically to her.

Lucas is not like the rest of you, as you now know. He has been given certain gifts that you must help him master. Speak to no one of this. His destiny is a great one and he will need your teachings to help fulfill it.

She nodded as a tear fell from her eyes. He turned away to hug Lucas before he entered the ship. No other words were needed as Wendy, Julianna, and Lucas stepped back into the hall. They could hear something opening, most likely the roof, and the howl of a ship taking off. Suddenly Lucas doubled over. Only Wendy's waiting hands saved him from hitting the floor. Knowing they were safe, Lucas let go and sank into oblivion.

Seconds after he closed his eyes, Bridger rushed toward them followed by a dozen Section Seven people with their weapons raised.

"Where are they?" The man in charged yelled out. Knowing they were to late, Wendy feebly pointed at the closed door behind them as she checked Lucas' vitals as best she could. She felt Nathan's unspoken question and nodded barely.

"Major Hayden, I'm taking my people out of here." Without waiting for confirmation he picked up the still body at his feet and led them to the doors. Outside they looked up to see a speck in the sky moving away.


EPILOGUE

Even though she wanted to stay by his side, Julianna remained on the station to oversee things until some else took over. They colony itself, until further notice, was allowed to remain operation. It had been investigated along with the scientist but in the in Section Seven had nothing substantial to hold them. All the equipment in Section Gamma had been destroyed before their invasion as well as the altered sleeping quarters in Section Beta.

Julianna had been mildly surprised to find that here friends liked to relax and sleep in an environment lacking gravity. Surprised but as she digested what had happened over the last few days, she found that her perception over it all was appropriate. She found it oddly comforting that the most humane people she had ever met besides Lucas we from another world plagued by the same greed she saw on Earth. Their defiance gave her hope for the future.

. The days fell away into weeks. Throughout the events around him, Lucas slept. At times he laid there staring but unseeing at the ceiling. His friends came and talked but he never moved. They told him how sorry they were and how they missed him, but he never uttered a word. They went to Wendy and Kristen with pleas to wake him, and though she didn't know why Wendy objected so adamantly, she stood by her friend and backed her decision. She had heard the story about what happened and asked her if they'd told her anything. Wendy responded with a nod and simply said let him sleep.

The clock had just changed to midnight when Wendy felt a presence in the back of her mind. Reaching out her thoughts she smiled. In med-bay blue eyes looked around for the first time in two weeks. Gingerly his pushed himself up and stood on rubbery legs. He scratched his arm absently and walked down the deserted corridor. He didn't know where he was going until he reached the moon pool. Darwin's head broke the surface and looked at him with a pleased look about him.

"Darwin miss Lucas. Pod miss Lucas. Lucas back?" Straight to the point.

"Yea, fish face. I'm back. We need to talk. I need your help on something but we can't tell anyone else, O.K.?" He waited as the dolphin looked him over.

"Darwin help Seaquest. Wendy help too." Lucas turned and saw the young doctor standing at the door.

"Yea, Wendy help too." He smiled at her and scratched his arm again. Puzzled he looked down and gazed at a colored spot on his left arm. It was a tattoo of a symbol that he had seen once in a book about the Wiccan religion. Even knowing it hadn't been there when he went to the Dremora Colony, he felt as if it had always graced his arm. It was a picture of a phoenix bird rising from the flames. It meant a protection from sorrow and rebirth. Dremora was his burning pyre and his awakening was a rebirth. And like the phoenix he would see the world through new eyes and new possibilities. Looking back at Wendy, he smiled and laid his head on his knees like a little kid. Already the day was looking better and he had plans to make.

 

E-Mail addy: jessephoenix@hotmail.com