INTO THE WOODS

By Corey

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Okay, so I'm watching "The Blair Witch Project" for about the zillionth time since I got it on Saturday (to add to the other zillion times I saw it in the theater) So I figured: why not base a Halloweeny fic on it? Diena informs me there was a RR along those lines that trickled out over the summer, so I'm kind of basing it on the beginnings of that.

Notes/Disclaimers: "The Blair Witch Project" belongs to Artisan Entertainment, seaQuest belongs to Universal/Amblin Entertainment. Anapolis is a real place (I've been there), but used fictitiously. Along those lines, Burkitsville is also a real place (been there too) but used fictitiously.



INTO THE WOODS
By Corey


"Remind me one more time why we're doing this?" Lucas Wolenczak asked, struggling to put on the heavy hiking pack. He found himself walking in tight circles, trying to grab the other strap and pull it onto his shoulders. Thus far, no luck.

"I'd help," Ben Krieg commented from where he was standing next to the transport, video camera obscuring his features. "But I'd rather stand here and tape."

Lucas made sure Captain Bridger wasn't looking, and flashed a rude gesture in Ben's direction. He felt gentle hands lift his pack and guide his arm into the strap. Lucas turned to see Katie Hitchcock, smiling pleasantly at him. "Thanks," Lucas muttered, not sure he wanted to have been helped by the woman he had a crush on. Pack securely on his back, Lucas walked over to Ben, telling him, "Gimmie that back." Ben requilinshed control of the camera to Lucas, who used it to survey his surroundings.

The Black Hills Forest existed about sixty miles from the ocean, and about seventy from where they were docked at Annapolis. As far as Lucas was concerned, they were in the middle of nowhere. The only thing - other than corn and cows - that Lucas had seen on the entire ride was a town called Burkitsville, who's cemetary looked to be bigger than the town itself.

Lucas wasn't aware of the history of Burkitsville. Nor was he aware of the myths surrounding the Black Hills. He didn't know of the disappearances, he didn't know of the murders. He didn't know that no one had ventured into the Black Hills in the past twenty years and came out alive. He didn't know this, nor did any of his companions. It was a secret known only to the citizens of Burkitsville.

"We're doing this," Captain Nathan Bridger told him, coming into camera range, "because we have a weekend that we're not supposed to be on the boat, and Doctor Westphalen thinks we all need some fresh air."

Lucas made a face. "Yeah, but why camping?" he asked, almost - but not quite - whining. He was a computer expert, not a boy scout. "Why couldn't we just... go to the beach like normal people?"

"Normal people go camping," Katie replied. Lucas swung the camera around to get a shot of her. "It's fun - trust me."

"Yeah, whatever," Lucas said, pointing his camera towards the dark woods. He didn't like this; he didn't like it at all.



part two soon



----------- Well? Should I continue, or shall it be forever suspended in the world of unfinished fanfics?