"Halfway Through the Wood"

by Diena Taylor

jupiter2@ma.ultranet.com

Okay. :) I wrote this in my head while watching Into the Woods at my Acting camp (yes, that's the play we're doing...) I've always loved the song "No One is Alone", and since I was in the mood and had nothing better to do, I decided that now is the time for there to be a song-fic involving this song.

All Lucas' thoughts I've taken from various conversations on the seaQuesties list (which this is also being posted on) involving Bridger's leaving.

Disclaimer: Lucas' point of view doesn't belong to me, I'm just borrowing it for a couple pages, then I'll give it back to him. And I'll try not to warp it too much... Also, "No One is Alone" belongs to Stephen Sondheim. :)

 

"Halfway Through the Wood"

by Diena Taylor

I lay back on his bunk and stared at the ceiling. Bridger was gone, simple as that. Not a look back, not even a goodbye. Just… "It's time, Lucas." He had said his life was filled with so much more. His grandson. His quest for his son now more passionate than ever. Of course there wasn't any place for me in that. After all, I had just been a replacement for his son, hadn't I? Hadn't he told me that once? Not in a mean, or degrading way. He was trying to make me feel better. But… but it's true. He didn't really care about me. If he cared… would he have stayed?

No one here to guide you
"Now you're on your own"

"You're on your own now, Kiddo…" Maybe that was a foreshadowing of things to come. Maybe Bridger knew that we would get back, but he also knew he'd have to… choose to… leave me. "You're on your own now…" Maybe it's about time I was on my own. After all, I'm… eighteen? Twenty eight? Old enough to take care of myself in any case. Hell, I've been taking care of myself since I was little. My parents never seemed to notice I was around. Unless I was causing trouble, of course. Then I existed, but not for long.

Well, maybe Bridger did take care of me during those two tours. He really seemed to care, really seemed concerned about me. But I guess it was all an act. Why else would he just up and leave, without even saying goodbye? If I were him… if I were him, I wouldn't have left. Or I at least would have said goodbye… see ya later, kid. Something. Now… what will happen? Who do I have?

"Only me beside you
"Still you're not alone"

Tony, Tim… Lonnie, I guess. The Commander. But they're all enlisted - they all have to adjust to the new captain. I can't bother them with my problems - they have enough of their own. They wouldn't want to hear about how I'm upset because yet another person left me behind. I guess I should be used to it by now.

I really don't know what I expected. I guess I shouldn't have put my trust in something so… stupid. I was stupid for hoping that maybe, just once, I'd have someone to trust, someone who would care about me and someone who would… just be there. I mean, it's not like I've had a whole lot of luck in that area. Why should now be any different? Why should everything change now?

"Sometimes people leave you
"Halfway through the wood"

I guess… maybe the change got to him. Everything's changed - the whole world, everything. It seems so… alien. That seems kind of strange, considering we just returned from a real alien world only to find a world just as weird, just as different. Kind of like Planet of the Apes, almost. Well, not really… nevermind…

"Others may deceive you
"You decide what's good"

It was probably my fault. That he left. Because… if it wasn't me… than what would it be? It's always been me anyway. I wasn't good enough for my parents, wasn't good enough for any of the people they sent me to, why should I suddenly change and be good enough for Bridger and the seaQuest? I guess he figured I just couldn't change and now was a good opportunity to get me off his back.

I wonder if I'll have to leave. That Hudson guy doesn't seem like he likes me, but who could expect him to? Maybe I'll go talk to him… get on his good side, or something. That would make life easier. I didn't exactly make a good first impression… I didn't with Bridger either, I guess. Well, it's now or never. I'd better go… Wish me luck…

"Someone is on your side
"No one is alone…"

Ha. Ensign Wolenczak. I belong - I can stay.

 

-30-