Title: Everything Changes

Author: Mara

Disclaimer: I don't own Nathan Bridger, Lucas Wolenczak, Kristen Westphalen, JJ Fredricks, Dagwood, Darwin, Tony Piccolo, Lonnie Henderson, Jonathan Ford, Oliver Hudson, Robert Bridger, or anything else form the TV show. I DO own Dr. Elise Doyle, Hansen Colony, Dr. Doyle's friend, the three female ensigns, the specific events of this story, and the specific dialogue of this story.

Spoilers: The entire Series.

Content warning: Violence, severe and permanent main character injury.

Series: First in the Changes Universe.

Rated: PG-15 to R (For violence)

Summary: Lucas is shot by terrorists and everything changes for him.

Author's note: This is a longer and more detailed version of a fic I sent for a fellow ELFer to use in a psych project. It is also my first 2032 fic ever. So characters might be slightly off.


Everything Changes
by Mara



Lucas had never believed in fate. He felt that things just happened, and nothing made them happen. But one day, June 10, 2032, to be exact, changed his mind forever. It was the worst day of his life, but it also paved the way for the best day of his life. Now he believes in fate. And he knows that sometimes, everything changes in an instant.



Part One

It started out as a normal day. Ensign Lucas Wolenczak was walking along the storefronts at Hansen Colony, trying to find a gift for his friend, Lt. JJ Fredricks. She seemed cold most of the time, but, once you got to know her, you could see how nice she really was. Lucas was looking at some jewelry in a store window when he heard the soft 'Hmmhmm' behind him. He turned around and standing right behind him was JJ herself.

"Hi, JJ. How's your shoreleave?" he asked, trying to distract her attention from his looking at jewelry. "It's been all right. I'll be relieved to get back to the SeaQuest, though," she answered, smiling ever so slightly.

Lucas grinned back at her. "Wouldn't you rather spend your birthday on land, somewhere fun, like a nice restaurant, than in the crew mess?" he asked, as they began walking away from the store window.

JJ shook her head. "There's no real point in celebrating at all. I have no family who would care."

Lucas stopped walking. "JJ, there are people who care. If you hadn't asked me to keep it a secret, I bet most of the senior staff would be planning a party for you right now." He was exaggerating a little, but some of them liked JJ. "And I feel like that a lot, like no one really cares. But I know they do. And I know they care about you."

JJ gave her friend a smile, this one more genuine than before. "You're a good friend, Lucas."

"Thanks. So, how about you let me buy you a birthday lunch, since you don't want anyone to know about your B-day?" he asked, waving at some female ensigns from the SeaQuest, who altered their path towards Lucas and JJ.

"I don't know. Do I get to choose where?" JJ asked.

Before Lucas could respond a shot rang out across the promenade. JJ and Lucas moved to assist the civilians in getting to cover, but there were several gunmen, and Lucas had the bad luck to get too close to one of them. The man raised the gun and sighted it.

Lucas froze, stunned. He saw the gun in the man's hand but he couldn't make himself run. He stared down the barrel of the gun, knowing he was dead. His mind kept screaming at him to run, to move, to get away, but he couldn't. He felt as though time had slowed down as the gun went off, it's barrel jerking upwards. He heard the noise and prayed the pain would be over quickly. He felt the impact as the bullet hit him full in the stomach, then the intense agony as his mind registered the pain. He heard a second shot, and prayed JJ was all right.

Lucas felt his world go dark as he fell to his knees, the pain too much to bear. He felt someone catch him as he fell, and gently lay him down on the ground. He heard a voice scream for medics. He felt the hand grip his, and heard the soft words of reassurance, but he wasn't sure who was speaking to him. He knew the voice, but he didn't know who spoke. Was it one of the female ensigns? Corrine Davis? Or Mary Halberd? Or was it Helen Parker? The last thing he heard were the words that would stick with him forever. 'Please don't leave me, I love you.'

***
**Lucas**

What's happening? Where am I? God! My back hurts so bad! Why does it hurt? Where's JJ?! She was with me! Is she okay?!

Dr. Elise Doyle walked down the hallway towards the waiting room, wondering how anyone could do such a thing to a kid. She had just spent five hours trying to save the young man's life, and it might all be in vain. Why, out of all the people in the main dome, did the man choose to shoot the innocent young man?

Now Elise faced something even worse, trying to explain to the infamous Captain Oliver Hudson what happened to his crew member. She felt the tears in her eyes as she remembered years ago, when she was in a hospital waiting room waiting for news on her boyfriend, who had also been a shooting victim. She knew what these people were going through. And she was delivering almost exactly same news to them that she had been given so long ago.




Part Two
**Hudson**

How on earth did this happen?! God! Hansen was supposed to be one of the safest colonies in the UEO! How the hell had those men gotten onto it?! Leaving one of my crew members in need of immediate medical attention, and three others almost crying. Even JJ is on the verge of tears! If I get my hands on those men! Here comes the doctor, maybe she can tell us something, like when I'll get my crewman back.

*******

"Captain Oliver Hudson?" Elise asked, slightly nervous. She had heard a lot about this man, and didn't want to get on his bad side. Hudson nodded.

"How's my ensign? When can he leave the hospital?"

Elise closed her eyes for a moment, and when she opened them again, she looked almost haggard.

"Not for a while, Captain. Ensign Wolenczak was severely injured. The bullet hit him in the abdomen and went straight through to his back. His spinal cord was severed. He's lucky to be alive. He'll be lucky to stay that way for longer than a few days."

Hudson fought to keep his emotions in check. "Are you telling me that he's going to die?" he asked, his voice tight.

Elise nodded. "I'm afraid so. The damage was too severe. I need to know how to contact his family." Hudson shook his head. "I don't know of any family. At least none the ensign kept in touch with." He turned to Lt. (JG) Timothy O'Neill. "Lieutenant, do you know of anyone?"

Tim thought for only a second before answering. "Captain Bridger and Dr. Westphalen. Lucas was always close to them." He may have sounded calm, but Tim's mind was screaming.



**Tim**

Oh god, why Lucas, why? He's still just a kid! Why? What did he do to deserve this?


***********

Part Three

JJ walked into her young friend's hospital room. She gasped slightly as she saw how pale and sick he looked. Lucas' normally small body seemed even smaller lying in the hospital bed. JJ walked up to his bed and sat down next to it. She reached out and took her friend's hand. "Lucas, if you can hear me, please hang on. Please come back to us. Please." She squeezed his hand, praying he would respond, but knowing he wouldn't.

***********

**Lucas**

JJ? JJ! You're okay! Thank God! I was so worried about you! I want to come back, JJ, but I can't! It hurts too much! I don't want to be in pain like that again! No! JJ! Don't go! Don't leave me!

***********

JJ stood and walked over to the two people who were standing in the door way. "Captain Bridger? Dr. Westphalen?" she asked, recognizing them from pictures Lucas had shown her.

Nathan Bridger nodded. "Yes. I...how is he? I take it you know him from the SeaQuest?"

JJ nodded, sticking out her hand for Nathan to shake. "Lt. JJ Fredricks. I work with Lucas. I hate to tell you this, but Lucas is hurt, and the doctors aren't sure if he'll wake up before he dies."

Kristen Westphalen let out a sob at the idea of losing Lucas. She had always loved him as though he was her own child. Kristen walked over and sat in the chair JJ had so recently vacated. She took Lucas' hand in her own. "Lucas? Can you hear me? If you can then please don't leave us. You mean so much to so many people, we couldn't stand to lose you."

***********

**Lucas**

Dr. Westphalen? What're you doing here? Is Captain Bridger here, too? Did JJ leave? I wish you could hear me! I want to tell you I know what you're telling me! I know it all! I just want to wake up!



Part Four

Three Weeks Later

Nathan sat by Lucas' bed, holding the young man's hand, hoping he would wake up soon, but so far, ther ahd been no reaction. Lucas' eyes had not even fluttered. Dr. Doyle had said that he was in a trauma induced coma. She said that there was still hope, since TIC's were different from regular comas. She had mentioned a friend of her's who was in a TIC for two months before waking up, and said that he had recovered from it, with no brain damage. Nathan was startled out of his thoughts by the soft whisper.

"Captain Bridger?"

Nathan smiled, squeezing Lucas' hand. "Yeah, it's me. How are you feeling?"

"Tired, my back hurts. What happened?"

Nathan took a deep breath, not sure how to tell Lucas what had happened. "Lucas, what's the last thing you remember?"

Lucas looked at Nathan in curiosity. "I was on Hansen Colony, looking for a gift for JJ. She and I ran into each other and were talking, then somebody started firing guns, I remember trying to help some people get to cover, and then this incredible pain in my..." his voice trailed off as he touched his free hand to his abdomen, feeling the thickness of the bandages. "Oh God! I was shot, wasn't I?"

Nathan nodded. 'The bullet hit you in the stomach, and then..." he took a deep breath, hating to tell Lucas this, but, in the end, he didn't have to.

"The bullet hit your spinal column, Lucas. The doctor says you won't walk again."

Nathan looked up sharply at the voice which spoke the words so coldly, so calmly, so uncaringly. Standing in the doorway was JJ.

Lucas' eyes filled with tears at what he had just heard, but he held them back as he asked her, "Are you okay, JJ?"

JJ nodded. "Yes, I wasn't injured."

Lucas smiled shakily, glad his friend was all right. "Good." He couldn't say any more as the tears began to fall. Nathan moved closer and gently gave him a hug, being carefully not to move the young man too much, and just held him as he cried.

Neither noticed the tears in JJ's eyes as she left.

************

**JJ**

He looks so weak, so small. I can't believe I said it like that! I probably just made things worse for him! What's wrong with me? I just hurt him worse by being so insensitive. It's because of this stupid chip! It might be helpful but it causes just as much trouble as it fixes! I wish I could just be rid of it, then maybe I wouldn't hurt people so much.

************

Five Weeks Later

Lucas took a long time to recover, and for the first week he mostly cried. Then he slowly began to face what had happened. His Doctor, Elise Doyle, told him that his chances of walking again were low, too much damage had been done by the bullet. But she had also told him that he could still do a lot of things. Lucas had laughed at that. His career in the navy was over. What good was he if he couldn't walk? Hudson wouldn't want him on the Seaquest anymore! And the SeaQuest was his life!

****

Commander Jonathan Ford and Lt. (JG) Lonnie Henderson stood outside Lucas' hospital room. Since he had woken up he had been telling everyone to leave him alone, that he didn't want any visitors, and they had tried to honor his wishes, but everyone missed him, and wanted to know how he was doing. Ford took a deep breath and squeezed Lonnie's hand before releasing it and walking into the room.



Part Five

**Ford**

God! He looks terrible! Those terrorists are damn lucky they've already been tried and convicted, or I'd hunt them down and kill them! God! Lucas doesn't deserve this, no one does.

**************

"Lucas?" Lonnie asked quietly.

Lucas looked up and saw her and Commander Ford standing in the doorway. "Hi, why are you here?"

Ford flinched at the words, it felt as if he had been slapped. "Lucas, we're here because everyone is worried about you. You keep asking us to leave you alone, you won't talk to any of us. Did you even know that Fredricks is blaming herself?"

Lucas shook his head. "It's not her fault," he whispered.

"But you won't talk to her! She thinks YOU blame her!" Ford shot back, trying to keep his frustration from showing too much.

Lonnie walked over to Lucas' bed. "Why won't you talk to us, Lucas? We just want to make sure you're okay."

Lucas looked right at her before whispering, "Why? It's not like I'll ever work with you guys again. I'm never going to walk again. Hudson won't let me back on the SeaQuest! And what's the point in talking to you now, when we're just going to lose touch!"

Ford and Lonnie were both shocked by Lucas' words. "Lucas," Ford said as he also came closer, taking a seat next to the bed, "you're still our friend, even if you won't be on the SeaQuest again. No one wants to lose touch with you. If we planned on letting that happen would we keep coming to try to talk to you? Don't you think we would have given up by now?"

Lucas looked up at the man he couldn't really consider a friend so much as an ally, and smiled slightly. "I guess you have a point. I... I just needed time by myself. Can you tell everybody that I'm sorry and I want to see them?"

Ford nodded, thrilled that Lucas was ready to talk to people again. "No problem. I'll tell them as soon as I get back to the SeaQuest."

Lucas nodded. "Thanks. And can you say hi to Darwin for me? I miss him. I want him to know that, and that I wish I could see him."

Ford nodded again. "Sure. Actually, I think someone already explained what happened to you to Darwin. He was asking at first, but now he isn't."

"I think Tony explained it to both Dagwood and Darwin," Lonnie said.

"Good." Lucas whispered, shifting his gaze to the view outside his window.

Ford noticed the twinge of worry on the young man's face before he had turned away. "I think this is one case were Tony made sure his facts were straight. He was asking Captain Hudson, and Captain Bridger, and myself, what was going on, how you were doing."

Lucas looked up a bit startled. "Captain Bridger? I thought he went back to his island?"

Lonnie shook her head. "No. Captain Bridger has been helping pack your things. You're right that you can't go back to the SeaQuest, it wouldn't work very well, so Tony and Captain Bridger have been packing your things from your quarters. Everyone thought you'd rather have them do it, than someone you didn't know."

Lucas nodded. "Yeah, I wouldn't want a stranger messing with my stuff."

The trio lapsed into silence for a moment, then Ford and Lonnie exchanged looks, Lonnie nodded slightly.

************************

**Lonnie**

Oh my God! He actually wants to admit it! This is wonderful! Lucas is the perfect person to tell first!



Part Six

"Lucas, Lonnie and I have some news. You might have realized that we...um...Lonnie and I...um..." Ford tried to say, but he couldn't.

Lucas smiled. "That you two love each other?" he asked innocently.

Ford was thankful that his dark skin hid the blush. "Yes, um, Lonnie? Why don't you tell him the rest?"

Lonnie stifled a giggle at that. "Of course. We decided we would rather be honest and be together, then lie and have to be apart. So I put in for a transfer to a job here in New Cape Quest, and I got the assignment. I'm going to be here, and not under Jonathan's command, so we have decided to get married. You're the first person we've told, well, besides Captain Hudson, we needed to tell him why I was leaving, but other than him you are the first."

Lucas was stunned for a moment. Then he smiled broadly. "That's great! Congratulations!" He shook Ford's hand and then gave Lonnie a hug - well, the closest he could to a hug, since he was still confined to bed and could barely move without wanting to scream.

"I'm so happy for you two."

Ford smiled. "We're going to wait until you're released from the hospital so you can come. According to Captain Bridger that shouldn't be too much longer. A few weeks."

Lucas' grin widened. 'Dr. Doyle told me the same thing. A few weeks and I'm out of here!" His smile faded. "The question is what do I do then? I can't go back to the SeaQuest, I refuse to go to my parents. I guess I can just..." He was cut off by Nathan, who was standing by the door, having just entered the room.

"You can come stay with me. I could use the company on my island, and I'm hoping you would help me with me search for Robert. I could use someone with your computer talents." He said the last with a smile.

Lucas smiled back. "I think that could work." He looked toards Ford and Lonnie and they both smiled.

"Captain Bridger, Lonnie and I have some news." He reached over and took Lonnie's hand in his own. "We have decided to get married. Lonnie's transferring to a job here at New Cape Quest, so I won't be her commanding officer anymore."

Nathan smile at them. "Congratulations! I knew you two would eventually admit it!" He shook Ford's hand and hugged Lonnie.

Lonnie smiled very broadly. "Captain, you will come to the wedding won't you?"

Nathan nodded. "Of course! I wouldn't miss it for anything!"



Eight Weeks Later

Lucas slowly recovered. While he still had no feeling in his legs, he could move around by himself. He had learned how to move himself from a bed into his wheelchair, and from a chair into the wheelchair. He had been told that swimming was a good exercise for his body, which made the decision to go stay with Nathan even more logical. While a pool would be even better, Lucas knew that he would be more willing to do the exercises in the ocean than in a pool.

Lucas had long since stopped trying to block his friends out, and he had talked to almost everyone. He would talk to Darwin when he was on the Island. The dolphin had told Dagwood that he would visit Lucas and Nathan, and Dagwood had told Lucas. The only other person Lucas had not talked to was Captain Hudson. The man had not come to visit, and Lucas was not surprised. Hudson had never really liked him after all. Then, the day he was going to leave the hospital, Hudson came.

***************************

**Hudson**

He's probably not expecting to see me. He probably doesn't want to see me. But I need to tell him this.

*****************

Lucas looked up as he heard footsteps coming into his room. He was expecting Nathan, or maybe Ford, but instead he saw Hudson.

"Captain Hudson," he said, raising his arm to salute out of reflex.

Hudson smiled slightly. "At ease Ensign. I wanted to tell you that, while you and I never got along, you were still one of the best members of the crew. You will be missed."

Lucas smiled slightly, amazed that Hudson was admitting this. "Thank you, sir. It was an honor serving under you." he saluted again, and Hudson saluted him.

"The UEO has authorized me to give you this." He held out a box for Lucas. When Lucas opened it he found a medal. Hudson noticed the surprised look on Lucas' face and explained. "You were injured trying to protect civilians. This is a medal of honor for that."

Lucas looked up, wishing he could be standing rather than sitting in his wheelchair. "Thank you, sir."

Hudson smiled again. "You're welcome. Have a good life, Mr. Wolenczak."

"You, too, sir." Lucas watched Hudson leave, then allowed the tears to roll down his face. He was actually leaving the UEO. He would never be on SeaQuest again.

He rolled his wheelchair over to the window. He looked out at the view of the ocean. It had been four months and the doctors didn't understand how he had survived, but he had. Lucas refused to give up, to die. He knew his life was different now. It would never be the same. He glanced up as Nathan came into the room.

"You ready to go, Kiddo?" the older man asked.

Lucas nodded and, smiling slightly at the nickname, he carefully turned his wheelchair and moved over to his bed. He pulled the bag onto his lap and wheeled himself closer to the door. "As ready as I'll ever be." Lucas had been relieved when Nathan had asked if he wanted to come stay with him on the island. Lucas knew he couldn't go back to the SeaQuest, they had no use for a man who couldn't walk. Lucas had been terrified of what he would do, where he would go, but Nathan had helped make things better. Lucas sighed as Nathan gripped the back of the chair and began pushing it towards the elevator.

************************

**Lucas**

Everything changes. In one moment, everything changed in my life. I lost so much, but now I still have so much. I beat the odds. I survived.



The End