Dear Mother

by Mara

Disaclaimer: I don't own them. I do own all the previous stories in this series. Note: This is an AU second season. Katie, Kristen, and Ben never left. The first seaQuest was never destroyed. The episode Higher Power/Ocean On Fire never happened. None of the Eps. after 'Last Lap Of Luxury' happened. I don't know if the show ever said when Lucas started school but here he showed his brilliance young. Coral Ridge Women's Penitentuary is not real. It is a figment of my warped imagination. Also this is a E.E. fic with a slight mention of Y.L.E.

Summary: Lucas writes his mother a letter to help him release his anger towards her for actions in 'Hide & Seek'.



DEAR MOTHER
by Mara


Lucas sat trying to make a descision. On his computer screen flashed -Send Message? - Wendy had suggested he write the letter, even if he didn't send it. She had told him it might make it easier to let go of his old family and embrace his new one if he wrote the letter. So he had. Now he just had to decide whether to send it or not. Finally he hit the send button and watched the screen send his message.

Dear Mother,
When I was little you used to say I was more precious to you than anything, tell me about how I was your precious angel from the moment I was born. You told me stories about what I did when I was a baby. I can remember how proud you were when the teachers said I should be put in second grade when I was only five. But now, when I most needed you, you abandoned me. You chose to support father in his attempt to kill me. I don't understand. What did I ever do to you? I never called you names. I never hit you. I never even got mad when you did those things to me.

You hurt me more, by helping him, than you ever did when you hit me. I always tried to convince myself that it was my fault you couldn't love me. But know I realize that's not true. It was your fault. If it was mine then why does the crew of the SeaQuest care about me? Why has Captain Bridger adopted me? Why does everyone here keep telling me they love me, if i am so unlovable? I don't understand you. I wish I could, but I can't. I only hope that someday you can realize that you were wrong, that you should have loved me. But if you can't, I guess it's your loss.
Sincerely,

Lucas Wolonczak, soon to be Lucas Bridger.

The next day he found this in his E-mailbox-

Lucas,
I do love you. I always have. I was afraid to disobey your father. He hit me, too. You know he did. How could you even suggest I didn't love you? I never said you were unlovable. I always took care of you after your father hit you. You know that. Don't you ever say otherwise. Ever. And the captain can have you! You worthless brat! The adoption isn't even final and your already forsaking us! I hope you are never happy again!
Sincerely,
Cynthia Wolonczak

Lucas cried when he read her message. He couldn't understand why she had to be so mean. He had just wanted to say good bye. To let her know he didn't hate her.

Nathan came in and stopped short when he saw his soon-to-be son sitting curled up in a ball on a chair. "What's wrong, kiddo?" he asked, worried about the behavior. Lucas simply pointed at the computer screen. As Nathan read the message she had sent Lucas, his fury rose. This boy was the sweetest young man he had ever met, and to think that his mother could be so cruel to him was shocking. Nathan wrapped his arms around the boy and began whispering, "If she can't be nice then it's her loss, and my gain. I will never act like that to you. I love you more than anything. It will be alright. I promise."

Lucas' crying slowly subsided. "I want to try one last time." The teen got up and walked over to his computer. He slowly and deliberatly typed -

Mother-
I love you and I always will love you. But I won't let you hurt me ever again. Good-Bye.
- Lucas

On the screen appeared the words - Send Message? - Lucas thought for a moment, then pressed the send button. He stepped back and was instantly engulfed in a hug from Nathan.

"That was a good idea, kiddo."

Lucas turned and layed his head against Nathan's chest. "Thanks, Nathan."

Nathan just held Lucas tightly and wished he could kill the Wolonczaks for hurting Lucas.