As The Sea Churns

by Evermore

Episode 0: "Welcome to the Disclaimer, yes, the Disclaimer . . . ."

Note: I'm dating Lucas' birthdate as December 23, 2002.

Note: the phrase is, to the best of my knowledge, a real seaman's usage. "Having a Jonah on board" means "to be jinxed" or "to have bad luck follow". It's supposedly related to the fable of Jonah being swallowed by the whale

seaQuest DSV, seaQuest 2032, and the characters therein are the property of MCA/Universal, Amblin Entertainment, and the Sci-Fi Channel. They are used without permission. No infringement is intended.

Ownership of this story belongs to the author, based on a story idea by Rachel Brody. Copyright October 1996.

Chapter One uses the lyrics to "El Scorcho", by Weezer, from the disc _Pinkerton_, without permission. No infringement is intended.

I want to thank my beta readers -- Vicky, Rachel, and Karel -- for putting up with two months of reading and rereading. Without their hard work, this fiction would never have left my hard drive. ::applause::

The events herein take place after the third-season episode "Weapons of War".

Readers, please take note: this is a parody, and should be so read. Characters will not be acting normally, and here they'll do things they would not normally do.

Comments will be appreciated. Flames will be ignored.



AS THE SEA TURNS
by Evermore


Once there was seaQuest, the UEO's flagship, and all was well with the world. But tragedy struck hard at her and those who served aboard her . . . steering into the face of death, destruction, and dismay.

There will never be peace . . . as the sea churns.



Episode 1: "What Shall We Do. . . .?"

Fade in to. . . .

A shot of an empty, high-quality wine bottle. The camera slowly pulls back, revealing three other wine bottles, the debris all over the room, and, finally, the drinker, draped on the bed, holding yet another wine bottle. It is. . .

O'NEILL
(hiccups)
Doan see . . . whysh not? Shesh . . . weesh . . . ush?
(hiccups and takes another slug)
Pourquoi pas? Je s'aime . . . crier de coeur.
(takes another drink)Shoudesh teller.

He gets off the bed, staggers, and falls back onto the bed again, struggling to avoid spilling his drink.

Cut to seaQuest corridor.

O'Neill is staggering along, feeling his way through the corridors. He's still carrying the wine bottle, and occasionally takes a slug from it. His expression is that of the incredibly determined mixed with that of the pathetically inebriated.

O'NEILL
(singing drunkenly and somewhat off-key, as he staggers and peers at door-nameplates)
Yoush won't talk, won't look, won't think o'me. Ahm da epititemy. . .
(takes a slug)
. . . Ofsh public enenemy. Whysh youse wanna go and does me like dat . . .
(stops singing, wistfully)
Wise does she does me like dat?

He arrives at Kimura's quarters, and pounds on the door.

O'NEILL
(shouts)Kimura!! Come out!!
(pounds on the door again, then begins to sing again)
Comesh out ands dance wis me!!

Cut to interior of Kimura's quarters.

Not only is she there, but she's really angry. She's trying to ignore him.

Cut to corridor.

O'NEILL
(singing)
I's a lot like yoush, so pleash, hello, I's waiting.
(takes a slug)
Ohs, I think I'ds be good fer yoush, ans youds be good fer me!!
(takes another slug and weaves on his feet)
How stupidish ish it? I's can't talkst abouts it.
(makes shhhh gesture to bottle, as if telling it to be quiet)
I's gots ta shing abous it!

He takes another slug.

Cut to inside Kimura's quarters.

Kimura is on the com. She's had enough.

Cut to corridor.

O'NEILL
(singing)
Oh, Ise a lots like youse!!

Footsteps of a few people are heard in the background.

O'NEILL
(singing)
Ands maybe yoush jest dunno whut ta do.

He starts to gesture with bottle toward Kimura's door, but security personnel grab his arms.

O'NEILL
Andsh maysbe you're scareded ta say "I's fallin' fer youse".

Kimura's door flies open, she leaps out, and punches O'Neill. Security personnel drag her off him. In addition to being drunk, he has bruises and small cuts along the left side of his face from temple to eye to cheekbone --it'll be a heck of a black eye later. O'Neill is dragged around to faceHudson, who is beyond enraged. An officer, drinking! And on the boat!

HUDSON
(cold-voiced, to O'Neill)
Well. Mister O'Neill
. (even colder)
Have you *anything* to say?

O'Neill looks at Hudson, peers closer, realizes who it is, and tries to stand at attention, but is listing to one side and is unaware of it.

O'NEILL
Shir! (attempts to pretend to be sober)
Ish was tryings to reaitch Kimura . . . .

He nearly falls over sideways but is yanked up by Security.

HUDSON
(angry)
I'd say you reached her.
(speaks to the Security detail)
Take him to MedBay for a sobriety injection, then take him to the brig until he sobers up.
(turns back to O'Neill, who by now is swaying)
Mister O'Neill. You are, as of now, confined to quarters *indefinately*. You may be facing a military court-martial if charges are brought.
(speaks to Security, disgusted) Get him out of my sight.

O'Neill is dragged off by the Security people, his face contorting and his fists clenching in rage. He's clearly thinking, as well as he can in his alcohol-soaked mind, that he's had enough. Hudson *must* die.

Cut to exterior establishing shot of the Regency Hotel.

Cut to interior, Room 311.

Henderson is dozing in the king-size bed. Ford has just recently gotten up -- he can be heard in the bathroom, getting ready. Henderson wakes up, stretches, and:

HENDERSON
Jon, darling?

FORD
(V.O., calls to her)
In here, sweetheart!

HENDERSON
What are we going to do today? This is our last day of shore leave, so I want to spend it really well. I mean, it's not every day we have leave at New Cape Quest.

FORD
(V.O.)
I was thinking we might go to the museum -- they have a new exhibition of South American Art on display.

The door to the bathroom opens, and Ford walks out, dressed only from the waist down. His bath towel is draped around his neck, hanging down his chest.

FORD
(questioning, hopeful)
What do you think?

Henderson smiles. Ford walks over, and sits next to her on the bed.

HENDERSON
(grabs the ends of the towel and pulls him to her)
I can think of something I'd rather we do.

They kiss.

Camera pulls back from the shot, to encompass the kissing couple and the open bathroom door. The camera draws closer to the bathroom, and finally focuses on the bathroom mirror, which is still somewhat steamy and wet with condensation. Two figures materialize within the mirror -- Miguel Ortiz and James Brody -- and glance unhappily at each other.



Episode 2: "Of Rats and Men

Open on seaQuest corridor.

A gurney comes around the corner, pushed by two or three medtechs, accompanied by a dark-haired doctor. We can't tell who's on the gurney, but the attitude of the medical personnel is frantic. Camera follows the gurney into the medbay.

Cut to medbay.

Commander Ford enters, highly disturbed. A medtech approaches him, with that everything-is-going-to-be-fine-if-you'd-just-calm-down expression on her face.

FORD
I - I don't know what happened! One minute, he was drinking some coffee, and the next. . . .

He gestures to the E.R., where something apparently very painful is going on.

MEDTECH
(smiles)
The galley coffee isn't that bad.

Ford gives her a look -- how can you be joking at a time like this?

MEDTECH
(sighs)
Relax, Commander. Everything's under control.

Ford shakes his head, as if trying to clear it, and leaves. As he exits, he walks past a room where Lucas is sitting on an examination table. Lucas is clearly wondering what's going on -- anything would be more fun than this.

Cut to exam room.

Doctor Perry walks in, holding test results of some kind. She looks troubled. Lucas doesn't notice -- and at this point could care less.

LUCAS
(trying to be cheery)
Well, can I go now?

Perry is pulled out of her thoughts by the question, and seems to come to a decision.

PERRY
I think you should see these, Ensign.

Lucas' interest is piqued, and he takes the paper from her outstretched hand. After reading it quickly, he waves it in her direction.

LUCAS
So?

PERRY
(sighs) You don't understand --

Lucas rolls his eyes, chuckling of-course-not-I'm-not-a-medical-doctor.

PERRY
(somewhat aggravated by Lucas' antics)
The tests I gave you were very specific. We needed to determine whether you carry the gene for acute hyperkynimylenitis, which killed your cousin last week.

Lucas mutters something about not really caring about any disorder that killed any cousin.

PERRY
(who overheard)
It's a *very* specific disorder.

LUCAS
(muttering)
I bet.

PERRY
(who has decided to overlook his attitude)
At any rate, I examined a full sample of your DNA.
(she glances at Lucas, who is uninterested)
And I made a very disturbing discovery.

Lucas glances up at her, his sudden concern evident and equal to hers.

Cut to O'Neill's quarters.

O'Neill is pacing, upset, and frustrated. He's also suffering from the mother of all hangovers.

O'NEILL
(to himself)
I can't believe this. After all the trouble I went to getting that stuff -- avoiding Dag is no easy task. Why hasn't there been an announcement by now?

The com bleeps at him, and he answers it, wincing.

PICCOLO
(shouting through com)
Hey!

O'NEILL
(pressing his hands to his head and counting to ten)
Quietly, Tony, okay?

We can practically hear Piccolo grinning through the com.

PICCOLO
(over com)
Okay, okay. Have you heard? About the captain?

O'Neill straightens up, excited and expectant.

O'NEILL
(trying to restrain himself)
No, I haven't. (frustrated) I'm restricted to quarters, Tony, not wandering around picking up gossip.

PICCOLO
(over com)
Well, somebody poisoned his coffee this morning. But, whoever it was, they botched it.

O'Neill chokes slightly, but Piccolo doesn't notice and continues.

PICCOLO
(over com)
He'll be let outa MedBay in a couple hours, as good as new. Guess the poisoner flunked outa killer school.

O'NEILL
(weakly)
Yeah, I guess so. Later, Tony.
(he shuts down the com, looking disgusted)
That captain has got to have something in his past
(paging through papers on his desk)
That I could exploit against him. There's got to be. . .
(a thought occurs to him, and a smile spreads across his face)
Of course.

He crosses to the vidlink, and prepares to make a call.

O'NEILL
(grinning nastily)
*Captain* Hudson, your days are numbered. . . .

Cut to Hudson's office.

Hudson is seated at his desk, doing paperwork. By the chronometer nearby, we see that it's several hours later and he's obviously recovered. A cup of coffee sits to one side. There's a knock at the door.

HUDSON
(looks up, relieved but still aggravated at the interruption)
Come in.

The door opens, and a very annoyed Dagwood walks in.

DAGWOOD
Dagwood wants shore leave.

Hudson raises an eyebrow.

DAGWOOD
Dagwood wants to go to Perseid.

Hudson sighs, oh-not-this-again-please. He starts to take a sip of coffee, then looks at it distastefully and puts it down, pushing it away.

HUDSON
Dagwood, you should already know the answer to that request.
(he looks sternly at Dagwood)
You can't go.

DAGWOOD
Why not?

HUDSON
(as if explaining to a small child)
Because that isn't how the military works. The next time shore leave is offered you may go to Perseid.

DAGWOOD
(unhappily)
Oh.

HUDSON
(turning back to his paperwork)
Dismissed.

Dagwood exits.

Cut to corridor.

Dagwood is not happy.

DAGWOOD
Fine. Dagwood will get shore leave offered. Dagwood will go see military. Dagwood will go somewhere else.



Episode 3: "Time of Your Life"

Open on Engineering.

Henderson is busily trying to repair a piece of machinery. Her little chisel-like tool is digging grit and crud out of its crevices. The camera opens up the scene to show Ortiz sitting next to her, watching quietly.

About a minute later, Henderson gets frustrated and starts digging through her tool-belt, looking for a better attack. Brody materializes behind them, sees Ortiz, and sighs.

BRODY
I thought I'd find you here.

ORTIZ
(still watching Henderson)
Mm-hmm.

BRODY
(asking but knowing the answer already)
You're still carrying a torch for her, aren't you?

ORTIZ
Sure. I just worry about her, that's all.

Brody just looks at him, like sure-fine-whatever.

ORTIZ
I do. (gestures at Brody angrily)
And so should you. I mean, Ford, of all people! Who could have expected that?

Brody steps closer, and places his hand on Ortiz's shoulder. Ortiz looks up at him, with tears forming in his eyes.

BRODY
We should've.

ORTIZ
(sadly)
I know, but. . . .

Flashback drizzle effect.

We are back on Hyperion in the fateful corridor. Bridger is shouting into his com, trying to reach the seaQuest. The others are yelling, wailing, and firing on the advancing KrayTax. All is as it was before.

The scene shifts to focus on Ortiz, firing madly and nursing a wound in his left shoulder.

ORTIZ
(V.O.) I was firing, but I couldn't seem to hit anything. It was like they simply weren't there when the discharge hit . . .

The pistol click-clicks, and he hurriedly dodges behind the scarce cover to check it. It's gone dry. Muttering oaths, he pulls out another energy cartridge . . .

ORTIZ
(V.O.) And then I ran out of charge, so I grabbed another. It was the last one I had . . .

We can hear Bridger talking to Lucas in the background. Ortiz shoves the cartridge into its slot, aims, and fires . . .

ORTIZ
(V.O.) But the cartidge had been rigged . . .

The energy pistol explodes, throwing Ortiz backwards.

Scene fades to white, and a flashback drizzle-fades us to the present. Brody is now sitting on Henderson's other side. Henderson is obliviously working on the stubborn piece of machinery with a screwdriver.

BRODY
(expecting Ortiz to continue)
And . . . ?

ORTIZ
(sighing)
I mean, Ford had given me the pistol and the cartridges. He'd said he'd get them while I ran sensor checks on the mother ship for weaponry.
(shrugs)
It had to have been him.

BRODY
(somewhat amazed)
And you didn't think it was strange? The second-in-command of the boat getting your weapon for you?

Henderson walks over to a part of the Engineering control panel, and begins replacing the piece of machinery.

ORTIZ
(quietly)
No. I thought he just wanted to protect us.

Ortiz looks over at Henderson, sadness all over his face.

ORTIZ
(continuing)
Turns out he just wanted to protect her.



Episode 4: "Plots, Plans, and Prayers"

Open on launch bay.

Dagwood is entering one of the Stingers, and we see him struggling with the controls. His expression is like I've-seen-Lucas-do-this.

Cut to exterior seaQuest.

The Stinger leaves the bay, shakily, and then starts away at high speed.

Cut to Bridge.

A noncom is staring at his sensor board with an I-can't-believe-this look on his face. He fidgets.

RAWLINGS
(hesitantly)
Sir?

Ford looks up from his station. He's been busy checking a SEAPOC. Getting up, he strides to Rawling's console.

FORD
Yes, Mister Rawlings?

RAWLINGS
(even more hesitantly)
A Stinger just launched. What are your orders?
(a little bolder)
Should I track it?

Ford is shocked momentarily, but recovers.

FORD
(quickly)
Yes, track it. Get me a --

RAWLINGS
(looking at his board)
Too late. It's gone, Sir.

FORD
(shocked again)
What do you mean, gone?

Rawlings shrugs -- an it's-not-my-fault expression.

RAWLINGS
I didn't know, Sir. It just . . . disappeared.

FORD
(thoughtfully)
Can you track it by sonar -- from the sound it makes by moving through the water?

Rawlings busies himself at his console for a few minutes of muttering and different screens.

RAWLINGS
All I can tell you is that the Stinger's heading for the mainland, UEO territory, at a dangerously high speed.

Off Ford's expression. . .

Cut to O'Neill's quarters.

O'Neill is at the vidlink. He's upset.

O'NEILL
What do you mean, "no"?
(gestures wildly)
How can you possibly say "no"?

Camera pulls back and to the side so we can see he's talking to Elaine Morse.

MORSE
Like this.
(slowly, exaggeratedly)
Nnnnnnnnnnooooooo.

O'Neill is not amused.

O'NEILL
Not funny.
(shakes his head)
I asked you to help me because I know you hold a grudge.
(he visibly calms)
Please help.

Morse sighs. She's at the end of her rope with O'Neill.

MORSE
Alright. I'll give you an idea. But --
(looks fiercely at O'Neill)
-- That's it. You get caught, it's your problem.

O'Neill weighs this quietly for a moment, then nods.

O'NEILL
Fine.

He bends forward to listen.

Cut to exterior of Deon International.

Scene widens to show Dagwood standing there, looking up at the building. He sets himself and walks through the front door.

Cut to interior of Deon's office.

Larry Deon is working through a proposal, but he isn't very interested in it. Voices can be heard faintly.

SECRETARY
(V.O.)
You can't go in --

The door bursts open, and Dagwood strides in, followed by a frantic secretary.

SECRETARY
Sir, I --

Deon sees who it is and impatiently waves her away. Flustered, she runs out and shuts the door behind her. Deon gestures his guest to a seat, but he's wondering what the hell's going on. Dagwood sits.

DAGWOOD
Need help. You can help Dagwood.

DEON
(startled but recovers nicely)
Yes, I can help you.
(smiles)
What do you need?

Dagwood thinks for a moment.

DAGWOOD
Mmmm. Dagwood needs to leave military.

Deon's startled; he wasn't expecting that. But an idea comes to him.

DEON
I can help Dagwood. I can tell you what to do and how to do it.
(raises an eyebrow at Dagwood, questioningly)
Can Dagwood help me?

DAGWOOD
Yes, Dagwood can help.

Deon smiles, weasel-like.

DEON
(still smiling)
Here's what you should do . . . .



Episode 5: "Family Tree"

Open on Lucas' quarters in Mammal Engineering.

He's sitting on his bunk, dazed and confused from Doctor Perry's news. He simply is so shocked that he can't even think in a straight line.

LUCAS
How can I possibly have been adopted?

He hops off the bunk, now frustrated and angry, and starts pacing, trying to sort out the frazzled thoughts racing around in his head.

LUCAS
(frustration and shock in his voice)
Doctor Perry said that it looked like I had been adopted. None of my DNA matched any of that idiot cousin's of mine. And none of my DNA matched my mom's or my dad's.
(thoughtful)
Their records are on file --

An expression pops onto his face -- Eureka!!

LUCAS
(into com)
Doctor Perry?

PERRY
(over com)
Yes, Lucas?

LUCAS
I have a question to ask you.

He breaks off, hesitating, wondering whether or not he should just shut up.

PERRY
(over com)
(sensing his hesitation, encouragingly)
Go ahead, Lucas.

LUCAS
(slowly, trying to gather his thoughts as he speaks)
You said that you'd checked my par -- I mean, my adoptive parents' records. How did you go about that?

We hear Perry sigh over the com. She's apparently been expecting this question, or the one Lucas is leading up to asking.

PERRY
(over com)
Your adoptive father is presumed deceased, so I was able to request his records from his physician.
(beat)
I asked for and recieved permission from your adoptive mother to do the same.

Lucas has listened to this quietly, his eyes brightening with hope.

LUCAS
(trying to be reasonable)
Then why can't you run a check of UEO records for matches?

Soft laughter from the com. Lucas is visibly annoyed; this is not funny!!

PERRY
(over com, wryly)
Because that would be illegal.

LUCAS
(upset) But --

PERRY
(over com, firmly)
Lucas.
(beat)
I cannot just run indiscriminate DNA searches. The amount of time and computer work it would use would be enormous, and it might be considered something of a privacy issue.

Lucas looks crestfallen.

PERRY
(over com)
But, if you can find some sort of tangible proof, some sort of evidence that a specific person or persons might be your parents, then I can request permission. But I need something to give them.

Lucas looks hopeful again.

LUCAS
Okay.

They sign off. Lucas goes back to his pacing and fuming. A few moments later, he stops abruptly and looks at the computer.

The scene shifts to show the computer awash in a halo of light -- one can almost hear the singing of angels.

The scene shifts back to Lucas. He leaps to the computer, switches it on, and starts biting his nails, waiting anxiously for it to boot up.

LUCAS
(anxious, hopeful)
Okay, Needle, let's go find that haystack.



episode 6
Contact

Open on Bridge.

Ensign Rawlings is once again at the sensor console. He sees something on his readout, and says:

RAWLINGS
Commander?

Ford perks up from his seat. He's been brooding.

RAWLINGS
I'm picking up a Stinger, Sir. The same one that vanished.
(beat)
Coming right toward us.

FORD
(a little wearily)
You're sure?

RAWLINGS
(checking his boards)
Yes, Sir. Slowing to dock --
(beat)
-- Now.
(under his breath)
At least it wasn't gone for a decade.

Ford whirls around to face the nearest security person -- he decided to ignore Rawlings' comment for now.

FORD
(briskly)
I want a detail to grab the driver of that Stinger and I want him held.

The security person salutes and runs off, shouting into his com.

FORD
(softly, knowingly)
And whoever it is had better have a good reason.

Cut to brig.

Dagwood is in a cell, upset and worried. Ford enters and stares at Dagwood -- he simply can't believe what he's seeing.

FORD
(trying to find sense and reason)
Dagwood, I thought we understood each other. If you're in the military, you just can't leave anytime you want to.

DAGWOOD
Dagwood went to see Secretary General.
(beat)
To talk about military.

Ford is somewhat startled, but recovers nicely.

FORD
What did the Secretary General say?

Dagwood blushes a little, embarrassed.

DAGWOOD
(ashamedly)
Did not get to see him. I was not allowed.

Ford nods slowly -- he thinks he's starting to see the problem here.

FORD
(firmly) We'll talk about it later. And about your stealing the Stinger. (beat)
You're dismissed.

Ford punches the control on the cell, releasing Dagwood, who steps out gingerly. He's very happy to get out of that cell. Ford gives Dagwood a sideways look as they walk toward the door.

FORD
By the way, just how did you make the Stinger disappear?

Dagwood just gives him an I'll-never-tell smile.

Cut to O'Neill's quarters.

O'Neill is sitting at his desk, hunched over a small canister. On the desk, around him, are multicolored wires, small bottles of chemicals and powders, and parts of a dismembered chronometer.

O'NEILL
(muttering)
This is definitely going to work.
(he scoops some of the powders and chemicals in some arcane sequence into the small canister)
This is *absolutely* going to work.
(he wires the pieces of the chronometer together and into the chemical mixture, laughing softly as he does so)
There is *no way*. Hudson is *dead* this time.

He gets up from the desk, grips the canister, and stands in the center of the room with this horrifying smile on his face.

O'NEILL
(relishing the thought)
Rest in *pieces*, Captain.

He leaves the room.

Cut to Hudson's office.

Hudson and Ford are both sitting there, with cups of coffee next to them. Paperwork litters the desk, and is scattered between them. They've been discussing the goings-on of the past several days.

HUDSON
So, what have you decided about Dagwood?

Hudson looks at his full coffee cup wistfully -- he still isn't sure about drinking it. Ford catches the look, and coughs down a laugh.

FORD
(still trying to restrain himself)
Actually, I was going to discuss that with him later.
(pointedly)
You know as well as I do what the problem is.

HUDSON
(so what attitude)
Of course I do, but that doesn't mean he gets any special treatment.
(looks pointedly at Ford, daring him to disagree)
He still stole a Stinger. He deserves to be punished.

FORD
I'm not convinced he really understood what he was doing. I'm investigating the incident, and it'll be handled.

Ford sips at his drink, while Hudson pushes his away, disgusted.

HUDSON
(firmly, changing-the-subject)
The lab finished the workup on the coffee.
(beat)
They found rat poison in it.

FORD
(shocked but amused -- it's laughable)
Rat poison? Are you serious?

Hudson is not amused and gives Ford a shut-up-or-else look.

HUDSON
(annoyed)
Very serious, Commander.
(sternly)
Very serious. And Dagwood just happens to have easy access to it.

Ford can't believe what he's just heard.

FORD
(shocked)
Captain, you can't be suggesting that Dagwood tried to kill you. Henderson told me that Dagwood refused to kill a cockroach he'd found.
(firmly)
I don't believe it.

HUDSON
(just as firmly)
Wasn't there an arrest and conviction for murder? He's capable.

FORD
(still amazed)
That conviction was overturned within a few days of being handed down. Dagwood was proved innocent, and the real murderer was found. He's innocent of this, too.

HUDSON
(not convinced)
We'll see, Commander. We'll see.

Cut to Engineering.

It's the same area of Engineering Henderson was working in previously. Dagwood enters and crosses furtively to the same panel Henderson has used. He removes a small canister from a pocket of his uniform, and places it deep inside so it won't be found. He closes the panel, smiles, and leaves.



Episode 7
"On Angel's Wings"

Open on Henderson's quarters.

Her quarters haven't changed much. There's a plant
(of the non-carnivorous variety)
on her desk, along with a few textbooks on learning disorders. Addison is conspiciously absent.

Ford and Henderson are sitting on the bed together, holding hands and giving each other dreamy eyes.

Brody materializes, and sits on the edge of the bed, away from them, looking bitterly at the moonstruck couple. Ortiz fades in a few moments later, and begins to wander about the room, peering inquisitively at Henderson's possessions. He's sniffing the blooms on the plant when:

BRODY
(angry, lashing out)
What's with you? You thinking of moving in or something?

ORTIZ
(grinning)
I certainly might.
(with a laugh)
If I was still alive.

Ortiz starts to laugh. Brody gives him a you-are-such-an-idiot look, which only makes Ortiz laugh harder. Ortiz calms down in a few moments, wiping tears of laughter from his eyes, as Brody's look only gets more intense.

ORTIZ
Lighten up, Jim. You're dead. Live with it.

Brody groans at the joke, while Ortiz howls in laughter.

BRODY
(aggravated)
That's not the point.
(fiercely)
I *can't* stand how I died!

ORTIZ
Hey, at least you died a hero.
(beat)
(pointedly)
At least people *know* how you died. At least *your* family had a body to bury.

Brody falls silent, as Ortiz struggles to contain his own bitterness. After a few minutes, Ortiz wanders over to the bed next to Brody, and sprawls on the floor. Both are steadily ignoring the hormone-struck couple next to them.

ORTIZ
(softly)
What happened to you?

A flashback drizzle-fades us to the Macronesian launch bay. Members of Henderson's rescue party and Henderson are stealthily creeping to the launch, hoping against hope they won't be caught. All is as it was before.

The scene shifts to show Brody, frantically checking his energy charge and looking worriedly at Henderson.

BRODY
(V.O.)
We were almost to the launch. We were almost there! I was worried about Lonnie, she'd been through so much already, and I was hoping nothing would go wrong.

Several Macronesian soldiers appear from nowhere, firing and screaming, followed by more and more and more. The scene turns to chaos. The rescue team and Henderson dash for cover, and crouch behind any they can find. The air is heavy with smoke.

BRODY
(V.O.)
Then soldiers started pouring in on our position. The only way they could have found us so quickly is if they'd been warned . . .

A soldier fires at Henderson and Hudson, who'd been forced out from behind cover by the oncoming soldiers . . .

BRODY
(V.O.)
And I wound up throwing myself at her. Literally.

Brody falls to the deck, Henderson screams . . . .

Fade to white.

A flashback drizzle-fades us back to the present. Ford and Henderson are still gazing at each other. Brody and Ortiz are still sprawled nearby.

BRODY
(bitterly)
I died to save her life. I died because Ford wanted me dead.

ORTIZ
(amazed)
How did Ford know where you'd be?

BRODY
We'd discussed the plan beforehand in a meeting. He was there. He knew where we would be, when we would be there, and what we planned to do.

ORTIZ
(utterly unbelieving)
And Ford was willing to risk Lonnie's life like that?
(beat)
Ford wanted to kill you so badly, to kill you to keep you away from her, that he would risk killing *her*?

Brody shrugs -- how should I know?

BRODY
Ford took a risk. He knew our mission was to get Lonnie out. He knew I was going. He knew he could call the Macronesians, and risk the results.

ORTIZ
(grinning)
He knew he could count on you to be such a Boy Scout that you'd throw yourself on a bullet if necessary.

Brody gives him a dirty look.

BRODY
He knew there was a chance I'd die.
(beat)
And if that hadn't worked, he'd just try something else.

ORTIZ
(sadly) All for the love of Lenore Henderson . . . .

BRODY
(disgustedly)
For the love of something, anyway.
(beat)
But what are we going to do about it?

Ortiz looks up at him and smiles.

ORTIZ
Not what.
(beat)
*Who*.



Episode 8
"Ashes in your Mouth"

Open on Piccolo's quarters.

Piccolo is lying on his bunk, reading an adult mag of some kind. Every part of the room is a mess. Ortiz and Brody materialize next to him and look down. Piccolo is oblivious, unable to see them.

BRODY
(with disbelief)
You're joking, right?

Ortiz shakes his head; he's serious. Brody shakes his head, as if to clear it; he can't believe he's doing this.

BRODY
Do you *really* want to risk our afterlives on Piccolo?

ORTIZ
(firmly)
Tony'll come through for us.

Piccolo shifts the magazine to ogle the centerfold.

BRODY
That is *so* reassuring.

Ortiz grins.

ORTIZ
We need to do this without scaring him too much.

Ortiz mutters something under his breath, and the pair slowly becomes solid -- like watching a sponge soak up water.

ORTIZ
(softly, gently)
Tony?

PICCOLO
Huh?
(he drops the magazine, sees Ortiz and Brody, and jerks back in horror)
Oh, man, I'm dreaming --

Ortiz sits on the bed next to Piccolo, who cringes away, staring.

ORTIZ
(reaching over to touch Piccolo on the shoulder)
Tony, it's okay . . . .

Piccolo jerks back, falling over the other side of the bed.

Ortiz looks back in exasperation at Brody, who shrugs -- this wasn't *my* idea, remember?

BRODY
(grinning)
You're right, we don't want to scare him.

Ortiz gives him a will-you-just-shut-up look.

From the other side of the bed, Piccolo is moving around, trying to get up.

PICCOLO
(muttering)
Man, oh man, that was a bad dream. What --

Piccolo peeks over the bed, sees the pair, and stops short. He's shocked, he's amazed, he's almost speechless. Brody, resigned, sighs and sits on the bed next to Ortiz.

BRODY
(to Piccolo)
We need your help.

PICCOLO
(still shocked)
You guys are dead.

ORTIZ
(agreeable)
Right.

PICCOLO
I'm still alive.

ORTIZ
Right.

PICCOLO
I'm awake.

ORTIZ
Right.

Piccolo has now visibly calmed, having apparently accepted the fact that there are two ghosts sitting on his bed, that he's talking to them, and that they're answering.

BRODY
We need your help. We didn't just die.

ORTIZ
(gently, trying to soften the coming blow)
We were murdered, Tony. We need you to bring our murderer to justice for us.

PICCOLO
(infuriated)
Who was it?

Ortiz and Brody look briefly at each other, wondering how he'll take the news.

ORTIZ
(continuing)
Ford.
(beat)
It was Commander Ford. He murdered us.

Off Piccolo's horrified reaction, we . . .

Cut to Lucas' quarters.

Lucas is seated at the computer, knee-deep in printouts. A few vidlink directories are nearby. A cup of coffee and a bowl of M&Ms
(tm)
sit next to him. He yawns, leans back, and stretches.

LUCAS
(talking to himself)
Okay. What have I found out so far -- not much. Adoption records are sealed up tighter than Tony's wallet.
(he drinks some of his coffee)
I found my birth certificate, but it has my adoptive parents' names on it. So --
(deep in thought, he pops a handful of candy into his mouth)
What does that mean?

He turns back to his data accessing, busily typing in a link.

LUCAS
(thoughtful)
Maybe I was switched at birth. Now, what other babies were born at the same hospital around the same time?
(he creates a search profile, adding the relevant data)
Male, date of birth, estimate weight, estimate length . . . Here goes.
(he hits the send key)

Lucas fidgets for a moment, leaning back in his chair.

LUCAS
(dreamily)
I wonder what my real parents were like . . . .

The computer beeps at him, signaling the search results. He bends to read it.

LUCAS
(horrified) Oh no. Please no.

Lucas drops his head to his hands and crouches over the keyboard. Looking like a broken toy, he sobs into the backs of his hands.

The camera pulls in closer to the computer screen until we can read the words on the monitor:

One entry found. Mother's name: Janette Lynch Father's name: Alexander Bourne



episode 9
"With Malicious Intent"

Open on Bridge.

Everyone except Hudson, Lucas, and Piccolo are in their proper places. All is calm and quiet. seaQuest is traveling along at its normal pace, when the boat shakes wildly, alarms begin to wail, and crewmembers are shaken about like bugs in a bottle.

FORD
(shouting, trying to make himself heard)
Henderson, what's going on?
(turns to O'Neill)
Call --

Ford stops, seeing that O'Neill is already calling General Quarters and Captain to the Bridge. He catches O'Neill's eye, and gives him a brief nod of approval -- he doesn't have time for much more.

FORD
(loudly)
What was that? Source?

HENDERSON
(angry and shocked)
Explosion in Engineering!
(shouts into the nearest com)
Get crews in there, seal off that hull breach!!
(she frantically works her board, then pounds on it in frustration)
The whole control board is dead!!
(shouts into the com)
Patterson! Shut down the reactor!! Do it manually!!

On hearing the words "reactor" and "manually" in the same breath, Ford freezes. He wants to know what's going on, but he also wants to stay out of Henderson's way so she can do her job. A few moments pass, as Henderson continues trying to "persuade" her control board to work, until:

FORD
(frustrated)
What happened?

Lucas and Piccolo run in and dash to their stations. Lucas is dazed, barely in the realm of the sane, still shocked from his discovery. Piccolo, on the other hand, is fairly blasting rage and agitation.

HENDERSON
(equally frustrated)
I don't know, but I'm going to find out.

Suddenly, another explosion rocks the seaQuest. Again, the boat shakes, and crewmembers fly across the deck. Lucas nearly falls out of his chair. Henderson crashes into her own control board, and falls to the deck.

Ford staggers over to her, as best he can, and helps her off the floor. After righting herself, she pushes him away.

HENDERSON
(angry)
I *don't* need special protection, Jonathan.

Ford just stares at her. Neither of them see the hateful glare Piccolo shoots at Ford, visible for only a second. Another alarm screams, demanding attention.

PICCOLO
Explosion in Hudson's office.

FORD
(to O'Neill)
Call MedBay. Have a team sent to Engineering also.

O'Neill nods, and begins speaking into his headset. No one sees that he is quietly shaking with laughter.

Henderson is bent over her control board. It's still dead. She runs to another board -- one which is marked Internal Security -- and begins checking its data.

HENDERSON
(calls out, hurriedly)
Only the one breach in Engineering.

The panic is calming, but the bridge crew is very tightly wired. Alarms can still be heard screeching.

FORD
(trying to calm everyone)
Alright, take it easy. We're currently at full stop.
(to O'Neill)
Contact UEO Command, give them our situation, and ask for instructions.
(beat)
Send it on a secure channel. No need to give our friend Bourne any more information than we need to.

Lucas chokes at this, but manages to stay in control. No one notices. He looks as if he wants to cry some more.

O'Neill nods again, and busies himself at his console.

Ford looks around and shakes his head -- how did this happen, why did it happen, and what else could go wrong?

Cut to MedBay.

Several hours have passed, the boat's artificial "night" lighting is on. Ford is quietly sitting in a chair next to Hudson's bed, just staring at his captain. Then Hudson wakes up, looks around dizzily, and groans -- not here, again!!

HUDSON
(still dazed)
I'll be fine, Doctor Perry says.
(with a wry smile)
This time.
Mostly bruises, cuts, and a bump on the head.
(he shakes his head, with a sigh)
I'm just in here for observation, Commander. I'll be released in the morning.

FORD
(concerned)
You were lucky.

HUDSON
(back to business, as best he can)
Damage report?


(he has bad news, and knows it)
Damage control crews are rotating on four-hour shifts to repair the damage. We're at full stop until the hull breach is completely sealed and until Henderson is satisfied with the condition of the fusion reactor.

Hudson nods -- he is not happy, but is relieved all the same. It could have been a lot worse.

FORD
(continuing)
Injuries were mostly minor ones. No fatalities.
(he looks at Hudson pointedly)
In that, we were very lucky.

HUDSON
(wholeheartedly)
Agreed.

FORD
(continuing)
A forensics team is examining the explosion sites to determine the cause or causes. (beat) UEO Command wants us to return to New Cape Quest -- they're concerned about the reactor.

Ford rises to leave, and let his captain rest, then:

HUDSON
(firmly) I know one thing, Commander. If these turn out to be bombs, then they were planned.
(beat, looking Ford square in the eye)
Planned with malicious intent.

Ford nods.



Episode 10
"What A Tangled Web We Weave"

Open on Piccolo's quarters.

Ortiz is sprawled on the bed, and Brody is stretched out in the chair. Both of them are bored, bored, bored. Then Piccolo enters, just as agitated as before.

PICCOLO
Hey, wake up!

Ortiz stirs. Brody opens his eyes.

BRODY
(quietly)
We're not sleeping, Piccolo.

Piccolo throws himself on the bed, next to Ortiz.

PICCOLO
(glancing at the still Ortiz)
Yeah, sure, right.
(makes a gimme motion with his hands)
C'mon, guys, details. What happened? I need to know.

BRODY
(shaking his head)
You don't need to know --

PICCOLO
(taking offense and getting angry)
Whaddya mean I don't need to know? Of course I need to know.
(waving his arms and raising his voice)
Just because two of my friends got wasted by another friend, oh, that's no reason why I need to know, is it?
(shouting, tauntingly)
I suppose, *Sir*, I should just do whatever you say, *Sir*, and --

The argument rouses Ortiz, bringing him back to the world.

BRODY
(shouting and getting in Piccolo's face)
I *expect* you to follow orders --

Ortiz stands up on the bed, jumps between them, and shoves them apart.

ORTIZ
(shouting)
Enough!! Break it up, guys!!

They sit on the bed, Brody and Piccolo glowering at each other. Ortiz, seated between them, rolls his eyes to the sky, a Why-me-God expression on his face.

There is a pounding on the door. It opens, and a young female seaman enters.

SEAMAN
(hesitantly)
Are you okay? I heard you shouting . . . .

Piccolo does his best to come up with a plausible reply. The young woman apparently can't see either ghost.

PICCOLO
I'm fine, thanks.
(shoots a look at Brody)
It was nothing.

Brody scowls. Ortiz grins. p> Now looking at Piccolo strangely, the seaman nods, and leaves.

ORTIZ
(calmly)
The short versions.

Piccolo nods.

ORTIZ
I died on Hyperion because my pistol was rigged to explode. Brody died because a Macronesian soldier shot him. Commander Ford is responsible for both our deaths.

PICCOLO
Why are ya so sure?

ORTIZ
Ford got my weapon for me, and had plenty of opportunity to rig it.
(nods at Brody)
Brody died because the soldiers had been tipped off about the rescue attempt.

Piccolo is stunned.

PICCOLO
(shocked)
We all coulda died?

Brody nods.

PICCOLO
(continuing)
When he really wanted just to waste you?

Brody nods again.

Piccolo can't believe it, doesn't want to believe it, but why would Brody and Ortiz lie? They wouldn't lie about this. He's horrified, he's terrified, but rage is taking over. Betrayed!!

PICCOLO
(infuriated)
I'll kill him.

BRODY
(firmly)
No.

Piccolo starts to fly at Brody again, and opens his mouth to make a snide or insulting comment, but:

ORTIZ
(stepping in)
No, Tony. That's not what we need you for.

Piccolo looks at him. Ortiz gives him a smile and a shrug -- trust me.

ORTIZ
We need you to expose him. Find evidence. Anything to put him in jail.
(glances at Brody)
Then we can go.

PICCOLO
(not getting it)
Go?

Ortiz smiles, and points upward. Piccolo's eyes widen.

Piccolo nods, and extends his hand. Both Brody and Ortiz grab on and hold tight. Their hands clasped in agreement and support, they look at each other.

PICCOLO
(quietly)
Okay.



**episode 11**
"The Search"

Open on Sea Deck.

Hudson and Ford are leaning up against the moon pool. Darwin can be seen swimming nearby; he may even be eavesdropping. Hudson is clearly frustrated by the events of the last several days.

HUDSON
(angry)
*What* is *wrong* with the crew lately?
(beat)
Wolenczak is a zombie, Piccolo is a nervous wreck, and O'Neill is barely active even when he's on duty!!

He throws his hands up in frustration, and begins to pace back and forth. Ford watches him, giving a good impression of a spectator at a tennis game.

Ford takes a deep breath -- he has bad news and doesn't like it.

FORD
(unhappily, but "doing his duty")
The news doesn't get any better.
(beat)
The results on those explosions came back from Forensics. The first one, in Engineering, was apparently caused by a fault in the console panel. Ensign Williams did find some electrical fragments that could indicate a bomb, but she said that if it was, it was designed not to be found.

Hudson is not happy.

FORD
(continuing)
The second explosion, in your office, was definately a bomb.

Hudson is even less happy. We can practically see the storm clouds.

FORD
(continuing)
That bomb left a chemical residue because it didn't go off properly.
(beat)
Or so Williams says.

HUDSON
(wryly)
It worked well enough from my point of view.

Ford smiles briefly, sharing the joke, then it's back to business.

FORD
Williams also said that its chemicals weren't balanced properly, which caused it to explode later than it should have.
(pointedly)
While you were still in your office.
(even more pointedly)
And unaware.

We can practically see lightning and rain now over Hudson's head.

HUDSON
(shocked and angry)
Any clues as to who set them if there really were two bombs?

FORD
(concerned)
Not at this time.
(beat)
UEO Command wants us drydocked for repairs and, for safety's sake, because of the reactor.
(beat)
Our ETA at New Cape Quest is tomorrow morning, approximately ten hundred hours.
(beat)
If nothing else goes wrong.

Hudson nods.

Ford exits. Hudson sighs, turns around, and spots Darwin floating behind him.

HUDSON
(looking at Darwin)
This is all your fault, isn't it, fish?

DARWIN
(through vocorder)
Darwin not fish.
(beat)
Darwin mammal.

Hudson groans, exasperated -- I give up!!

Cut to Lucas' quarters.

Lucas is sitting, dejectedly, on his bunk. He's been weeping again.

LUCAS
(despondent)
Now I know how Luke Skywalker felt . . . .

He sits there, brooding and sniffling, for a few moments.

LUCAS
(trying to think of something)
Well, maybe I can find more information.
(beat)
Maybe there's some other answer.

He trudges to the computer, flips it on, and begins to search different databases.

The scene shifts to show us the chronometer, keeping Lucas in the background.

It changes to show us that three hours have passed. The scene shifts back to Lucas again. He's tired, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his eyes.

LUCAS
(talking to himself, trying to keep awake)
Notations on both these birth certificates, my original and --
(he shudders slightly)
The one with Bourne listed as the father, led to a --
(he reads from the screen)
Marion-Carpenter Medical Center, and a Doctor Lorraine Hassett.
(thoughtfully)
I wonder what the computer can find on them?

Lucas sets his computer searching, and leans back to rest. A few minutes later, the computer beeps with information. He leans forward to read.

LUCAS
(horrified)
Oh, my God.
(whispering)
What does this have to do with me?

He just sits there, stunned, as the camera moves forward to read the information on the screen. A list of newspaper clippings, dated June 2003, and the headlines read:

Marion-Carpenter Medical Center Closed by Court Order.
Doctor Lorraine Hassett Before Medical Board.
Hassett's Assistant Dead; Suicide, Say Police.
Hassett's Collegues Claim No Knowledge.
Claims of Illegal Human Experimentation Raised.
"Atrocious Experimentation on Babies" Say Medical Board.
Doctor Lorraine Hassett Disbarred From Practice.




**end episode**
"Projections"

Open on a section of seaQuest's undercorridor
(i.e., the bilge).

It's greasy, dirty, dark, and cramped. Wires, thick cables, and instrument anels cover the walls and ceiling. Dagwood enters, bent over and uncomfortable. He moves along, slowly, until he reaches a panel marked "Navigation and Helm".

Dagwood opens the panel, places a miniature computer inside, hooks it to the wiring, and presses a red button on its surface. Red and green lights blink on and off sequentially.

A few minutes later, the mini-computer beeps. Dagwood removes it from the panel, stuffs it into his uniform pocket, closes the panel, smiles, and leaves.

Cut to Deon's office.

Deon is sitting at his desk, doing some kind of paperwork. He looks very smug, clearly pleased with himself. The camera draws closer so we can see he's examining a rough schematic of the seaQuest.

DEON
Everything's working perfectly.
(checks the schematic)
Now . . .
(beat)
How to further the seaQuest's deterioration?
(beat, thoughtful)
What would hurt them the worst, what would best draw my little fishie into my great
(beat)
Big
(beat)
Net?

Deon thinks for a few minutes, studying the schematic. Then he laughs, and stabs his finger at a section of it.

DEON
(triumphantly)
There!

The camera pulls in to show us what Deon's pointing at -- the section of the seaQuest schematic marked "Communications".

Cut to Bridge.

Everyone is in their places. Piccolo is thoughtful. Lucas is still dazed and sort of "out of it". Hudson is alternately glancing between and frowning at Lucas and O'Neill.

The boat then lists to starboard -- all react. Hudson suppresses a groan (what now!!), Ford doesn't look much happier, and everyone else busies themselves at their respective consoles.

NONCOM AT NAVIGATION
Sir?
(beat)
We're drifting off course.

Hudson turns toward the helm station, and raises an eyebrow. He might as well have raised an energy pistol.

NONCOM AT HELM
Helm is sluggish, Sir, just barely responding.

NONCOM AT NAVIGATION
(sighing, exasperated)
My readings just went haywire.

LUCAS
(muttering)
And we're not even *in* the Bermuda Triangle.

Hudson sighs, ignoring Lucas' comment for now -- what else is going to go wrong? He turns to Lucas, who is busily checking his computer readouts.

HUDSON
(hoping for good news, just this once)
Wolenczak?
Lucas shakes his head unhappily. This is not what Hudson wants to hear.
LUCAS
(thoughtful, scrolling through his readouts)
It looks like some Tirocian faults developed in the navigation and helm programming subroutines.

Hudson just nods -- he has no idea what Lucas is talking about.

HUDSON
Can you fix it?

LUCAS
(still thoughtful)
Yeah.
(beat)
Maybe.

Hudson does not want to hear this. Not today.

LUCAS
(still thoughtful, and scrolling down some more)
And it looks like there are other problems too.
(looks at Hudson)
Maybe that memory wipe Captain Bridger did backlashed on us.
(beat, pointedly)
Or, of course, it could be because the system's ten years old.

HUDSON
(picking up the cue)
And she's due for a refit. I'll mention it to Secretary General McGath.

Lucas nods.

HUDSON
Go to work, Ensign. Get those faults cleared up.

Hudson shakes his head -- he can't believe this. Lucas catches his reaction.

LUCAS
(thoughtfully)
Chief Crocker would say we've got a Jonah on board.

HUDSON
(unhappily)
What else can go wrong?



**episode 13**
"Tony Piccolo, Private Dick"

Open on Henderson's quarters.

Henderson is absent, but Piccolo is searching her quarters, looking for evidence against Ford. He's trying to be quick and careful about his search; he doesn't want to trash the place and raise any suspicion.

Then Piccolo walks to the desk
(the only item left)
shakes his head disgustedly at its tidiness, and pages through the books on Henderson's desk.

Then we hear the door open. Tony's eyes widen, and he turns with the book in his hands. Henderson enters, and her eyes widen with rage when she spots Piccolo in her quarters.

HENDERSON
(angrily)
What are *you* doing *here*?

This is the *last* thing Piccolo wants to deal with.

PICCOLO
(thinking fast)
Lookin' for you.

Henderson brightens.

HENDERSON
Really?

Piccolo nods.

PICCOLO
(thinking fast)
I got this date set up, Lonnie, a real looker, in New Cape Quest but she wants to go dancing.
(looks at the deck)
And I don't know *how* to dance, and well . . . .

Henderson tips her head to one side (awww!!) and lifts up Piccolo's chin with her fingertips, looking into his eyes.

HENDERSON
(softly)
I can teach you.
(with a seductive lilt)
I'm good at *all* kinds of dancing . . . .

Henderson takes the initiative, and kisses Piccolo. A little startled, he returns the kiss.

Cut to Bridge.

Ford is preparing to leave, but he stops at Lucas' station on his way out. Lucas looks exhausted -- he's all but asleep on his keyboard.

Ford shakes him gently, trying to wake him. Lucas mutters sleepily.

FORD
(amused)
Go to bed, Lucas.
(beat)
Sleep a little. You'll feel better in the morning.

LUCAS
(sleepily, not really wanting to leave)
But then I'll have nightmares.

FORD
(concerned)
Nightmares?

LUCAS
(realizing what he'd just said)
Nothing. Never mind.

Lucas exits hurriedly -- the last thing he wants is for Ford to find out who Dad might really be. Ford watches him leave, shaking his head -- kids!! Ford leaves.

Cut to corridor outside Henderson's quarters.

Ford walks up, carrying a wrapped package. He knocks on Henderson's door.

A few minutes later, Henderson opens the door a crack and looks out. Then Piccolo peeks out, next to and just behind her. Both are red-faced and their clothing is disheveled.

Ford's eyes narrow. He doesn't like this *at all*.

FORD
(upset and angry, but trying to cover)
Did I interrupt anything?

Ford glares at Piccolo.

HENDERSON
(nonchalantly)
No. We were almost finished anyway.
(sweetly)
I was teaching Tony how to dance.

Ford's not buying it.

FORD
(pursuing)
And that's all?

HENDERSON
(starting to get angry)
Is *that* what *you* think of *me*?
(turning to Piccolo, and ignoring a fuming Ford)
Do you think you'll need another lesson?

PICCOLO
I'll manage.
(grinning)
Thanks for your help.

HENDERSON
(purring at Piccolo)
Anytime.

Piccolo sidesteps Henderson and Ford, then exits.

Ford suddenly remembers he's holding something, steadies himself, and takes a deep breath.

FORD
I brought you a gift.

Henderson's eyes brighten -- what a good day this is turning out to be! She waves Ford into her quarters.

Cut to Henderson's quarters.

Henderson and Ford are sitting on the bed. She is frantically attacking the package, shredding the gaily-colored wrapping.

HENDERSON
(finally getting it open)
Oh, Jonathan, you shouldn't have!

Ford beams.

Henderson lifts the gift up -- we can see it's a toy bear with a bright red bow around its neck. She's delighted.

HENDERSON
(happily)
I think I'll name him Addison Two.

FORD
(wryly)
I thought you might.

Henderson and Ford make goo-goo eyes at each other for a few moments. Then they kiss, sandwiching Addison Two between them.



**episode 14**"Betrayal"

Open on corridor outside Ford's quarters.

Piccolo arrives. Glancing quickly up and down the corridor, he pops the lock and enters.

Ford's quarters look as they always have -- utterly immaculate. Books line every available shelf.

Piccolo whistles appreciatively, and begins searching.

Cut to O'Neill's quarters.

O'Neill is at his desk, constructing another bomb. He's very upset and frustrated.

O'NEILL
(muttering to himself)
*This* time, it'll work. It has to!!

He begins to carefully measure the chemicals, and place them within the small canister.

O'NEILL
(angry)
I *botched* it last time!

He pounds his fist on the desk, scattering powders to the floor. It looks as if he's going to start frothing at the mouth any minute, he's so agitated.

O'NEILL
(continuing)
Can't I do *anything* right! Can't I rid the world of that tyrant *captain*--
(stabs his finger in the direction of the Bridge)
This time, it'll work. This time, Hudson will be blown to itty bitty tyrannical bits.

He finishes the canister, and stands up, preparing to leave.

O'NEILL
This is my last chance -- these are the last of my supplies.
(with utter conviction)
If this doesn't work, I'll strangle him with *my bare hands*.

He exits, carrying the canister.

Cut to corridor outside Hudson's quarters.

O'Neill walks up, and enters Hudson's quarters. Just as that door closes, Ford appears in the corridor and approaches his own quarters. He bends to open the door.

Cut to inside Ford's quarters.

Piccolo has heard the faint rattling of the opening door and sprints for the only hiding place he can think of -- under Ford's bunk. He squeezes himself in:

PICCOLO
(muttering)
Hope Lonnie ain't with him . . . .

Then something catches Piccolo's eye. He's left a drawer open that hadn't been open before. His eyes widen -- surely Ford will notice and call security!

Ford enters, looks around briefly, and saunters into the shared head, located at the opposite side of the room. He closes the door partway behind him.

Piccolo squeezes back out, his eyes rolling with the effort, creeps to the open drawer, and closes it, quietly and ever so slowly . . .

Cut to head.

Ford is watching Piccolo in the mirror.

Cut back to Ford's quarters.

Piccolo has finished laboriously closing the drawer. He turns to creep out the door as fast as he can.

PICCOLO
(softly whispering)
Nothing. I wonder if Lonnie knows anything . . .

Cut back to head.

Ford's expression in the mirror darkens -- he heard Piccolo's soft comment. We and Ford, by way of the mirror, watch Piccolo exit Ford's quarters.

Ford picks up a straight shaving razor, and begins to strop it thoughtfully, with a newly-birthed hatred in his eyes.

FORD
(darkly)
We'll see, Piccolo.
(beat)
We'll see how much *you* know.



**episode 15**
"For the Love of a Woman"

Open on a UEO drydock area, in New Cape Quest.

The drydock facility is shaped like a lengthwise oval. The sea is in the center, surrounded by a work area. A series of elevators are at the end nearest the street exit. A sign identifies the area as a "Secure Facility". Guards are posted at strategic places and at every exit.

Secretary General McGath strides in, followed by some bureaucrats and a work crew. He stops in front of the elevators, and waits expectantly.

Then machinery starts up, and McGath turns to face the sea-oval. seaQuest is being lifted on heavy cables; she reaches the mid-way point and stops, swinging gently in midair. The work crew readies their tools, and heads to their jobs.

McGath swings back to face the elevators. A few moments later, they all open at once. seaQuest crew members, carrying duffel bags, stream out toward the exits. Guards busy themselves, checking IDs.

Hudson makes his way through the throng, and reaches McGath. They shake hands and exchange pleasantries until most of the crew has left. Besides them, only the work crew remains.

MCGATH
(heartily)
Well, it's what you asked for. A safe secure drydock.
(frowning)
Though I still can't believe --

HUDSON
(interrupting)
Believe it.
(beat)
We've got a saboteur on board.
(beat)
Which reminds me, we need to talk . . . .

They exit.

Cut to Mario's Grill, New Cape Quest.

Piccolo is partying -- not really drunk, but not sober either. Something catches his eye, and he does a double take.

The scene shifts so we see Brody and Ortiz motioning him toward the men's restroom.

Sighing, Piccolo mutters something to a pretty girl for whom he's been buying drinks, and enters the restroom. He turns to shut and bolt the door, turns back, and nearly has a heart attack to see Brody and Ortiz standing there.

PICCOLO
(annoyed)
Don't do that! You tryin' to scare me outta my wits??

BRODY
(maliciously)
I wasn't aware you had any.

Piccolo starts to snarl at him, but Ortiz interjects:

ORTIZ
(I'm-so-tired-of-this expression)
Guys! Guys! Truce!

Bristling, both Piccolo and Brody settle down and return to their corners.

PICCOLO
(giving Brody a dirty look)
I checked Lonnie's and the Commander's rooms.
(beat)
Nothin'.

Brody frowns. Ortiz scratches his ear thoughtfully.

PICCOLO
Now what?

BRODY
Maybe you should ask Lonnie.
(pointedly)
*Carefully*.

Piccolo considers this -- but we can tell he's thinking about certain benefits to asking Henderson. He nods, and exits the restroom.

Brody shakes his head.

BRODY
I still think this is a bad idea.

Ortiz shrugs--like you had any better ideas?

ORTIZ
We didn't have much of a choice.
(looks at the door, as if trying to see Piccolo through it)
Tony's our last chance.

Brody nods sadly. Both dematerialize.

Cut to the bar.

Ford is holding a drink in each hand, and looking for Piccolo. Seeing him exit the restroom, he intercepts Piccolo, grinning widely.

FORD
(happily)
Piccolo. Let me be the first to congratulate you. P> Ford shifts one drink into the crook of his arm, and shakes Piccolo's hand. He then gives that drink to a startled Piccolo, and settles his own.

Piccolo doesn't know what to make of this.

PICCOLO
(warily)
Yeah?
(beat)
For what?

Ford leans closer, as if about to impart some great secret.

FORD
(conspiratorily)
I have it on some authority --
(sternly)
But don't you tell anyone I told you --
(pleased)
That you might have passed that officer's exam after all.

PICCOLO
(taken aback)
What?

FORD
(pleased)
The administrators think that there might have been a miscount or
(he waves his hand dismissively)
A flaw in the exam. Or something. So --

Ford raises his drink, and Piccolo follows suit. They clink glasses, and drink deeply, completing the toast. Ford smiles.

A few moments later, Piccolo's eyes glaze over, and he topples to the floor.

FORD
(loudly)
Whoa! A bit too much to drink, there!

Ford scoops Piccolo into a fireman's carry, and carefully picks up Piccolo's glass, keeping his fingers on its inside. Ford carries both out of the bar and exits.

Cut to UEO Command, sub-basement.

Piccolo is laying on a pile of sacking. Faint burns can be seen on his hands. Water drips from the ceiling onto his face. His face squinches up. The water drips again. He wakes, moaning.

He drags himself to his feet, and stumbles away.

Cut to UEO Command, back lawn.

It's very dark -- at least six hours have passed. Piccolo is stumbling along when large spotlights leap onto him, shining brightly into his eyes, and alarms start to shriek.

TOWER WATCH
You there!! Identify yourself!!

PICCOLO
(shielding his eyes)
Warrant Officer Tony Piccolo. seaQuest.

TOWER WATCH
Guards!! Guards!! Stop that man!!

Piccolo is frozen, wondering what the hell is going on.

TOWER GUARD
Guards!! He murdered Secretary General McGath!!

Piccolo flees the scene and exits. The spotlights search frantically in ever-widening circles.



**episode 1**
"Fortune Favors the Brave"

Open on an exterior shot of the Regency Hotel, New Cape Quest.

Cut to interior shot, Room 509.

Lucas is pacing in front of the vidlink, high-strung and very upset. His face is flushed, and his hands are shaky.

The camera swings in, so we can see that he's talking to Doctor Perry.

LUCAS
(agitated)
But can't you do anything?
(throws his hands up in the air in exasperation)
I *know* Tony's innocent!

PERRY
(sighing, how-many-times-do-I-have-to-say-it)
There's nothing I --

LUCAS
(interrupting, shouting)
No! You *can* do something! P> His expression changes to a pleading, puppy-eyes look.

LUCAS
Talk to your colleagues. Ask them to go over the evidence again.

PERRY
But, Lucas--

LUCAS
(pleading)
Please? Please?

Perry's weakening, and Lucas knows it.

LUCAS
Please? For Tony's sake?

PERRY
(sighing)
All right, Lucas. I'll do my best.

They sign off, and Lucas turns away, licking a finger and drawing an "x" in the air with it. Gotcha!

LUCAS
(talking to himself)
Oh, Tony.
(sadly)
I *know* you didn't do this . . . .

He walks over to the bed and flops onto it, unable to believe everything that's happened. He picks up his SEAPOC and begins looking through data stored on it.

Then he switches the holovid on, and sets it to a random channel.

LUCAS
(chanting, trying to distract himself)
Think about anything else. Don't think about Tony.

A news program pops onto the holovid, and begins footage.

NEWS ANNOUNCER
(V.O.)
In the Macronesian Alliance today, President Bourne announced a new program to control --

Lucas groans -- he doesn't want to think about Bourne either, maybe for the rest of his life -- and pitches a bed pillow at the holovid.

He looks back at the SEAPOC again, and punches up a file. Lucas gets up, crosses to the vidlink, and prepares to make a call.

Cut to Wilson Street, New Cape Quest.

It's dark with rain, dreary and unpleasant. Streetlights are dim in this part of town. Piccolo is walking down the street, his head down and covered, practicing avoidance, and his eyes alert for any sign of trouble.

He passes a holovid display, which is running a news program. He pauses.

NEWS ANNOUNCER
(V.O.)
The manhunt is still underway for Warrant Officer Anthony Piccolo.

Footage of the manhunt/murder scene is rolled.

NEWS ANNOUNCER
(V.O.)
Piccolo is wanted for questioning in the murder of Secretary General McGath. McGath's body was found early this morning by a security guard.

File footage of McGath is rolled.

NEWS ANNOUNCER
(V.O.)
Piccolo should be considered dangerous.

A bad photo of Piccolo appears on the screen.

NEWS ANNOUNCER
(V.O.)
This station will provide updates as they occur.

The report ends, and Piccolo trudges slowly down the street.

Cut back to Lucas' hotel room.

Lucas is still seated in front of the vidlink; he obviously hasn't worked up the courage to make the call yet. Frustrated and somewhat disgusted, he strides into the restroom.

We hear a splash of water.

Lucas reenters, carrying a towel and dripping water all over the carpet. It appears he's thrown a glassful of water at himself. After toweling his face dry and finger-combing his hair, he puts through the call.

A stocky woman in her late 60s, gravelly-voiced, answers the call. She is dressed plainly, and her hair is graying and clipped short.

LUCAS
(hopefully)
Doctor Lorraine Hassett?

She looks at him warily.

HASSETT
(distrustfully)
You a reporter, boy?

LUCAS
(earnestly)
No, ma'am.

HASSETT
(still distrustful)
What do you want then?

LUCAS
(earnestly)
I just wanted to ask you about --

Hassett immediately goes to close the call, and Lucas becomes frantic. This is his last chance to find the information he needs.

LUCAS
(almost hysterical)
Wait!! Don't hang up!! I'm not a reporter, I swear it!!

Hassett looks at him bitterly -- why should I believe you?

LUCAS
(almost in tears, his voice breaking)
I just want to find my real parents
(beat)
And my research led me to you.

Hassett pauses, gives Lucas a good long look as if weighing his sincerity, and sighs.

HASSETT
(slowly)
You read about my clinic, boy?

Lucas nods, unable to speak, tears running down his face.

HASSETT
(slowly)
I helped women, pregnant women, who didn't want to abort but who didn't want to carry to term since they had no intentions of keeping the child.
(sadly, remembering)
The genetic parents were happy, the birth parents were happy, and the children got to live in a home that wanted them.
(fiercely, to Lucas)
There's nothing wrong with that, is there, boy?

Lucas shakes his head no-of-course-not.

HASSETT
(continuing, but a little more relaxing)
I gave the mothers chemical treatments, necessary treatments. One body had to be prepared for giving up the fetus, and the other had to be prepared to gain one.
(waves her hand dismissively)
I won't bore you with the details, boy, suffice to say it was complicated.

Lucas is enraptured, trying to memorize every word.

HASSETT
(continuing)
And I didn't take just anyone for my Keiran Treatment. Requirements had to be met, quotas had to be filled, oh yes!!
(agitated)
And my girls knew that the process was still experimental!! They knew that there was always a chance
(beat)
That something might go wrong.

Hassett falls silent in reflection. Lucas is silent for a few moments, but desperation and hope urge him forward.

LUCAS
(softly)
Ma'am?

HASSETT
(shaken out of her reverie)
So --
(gives Lucas a long look)
You want to find your genetic parents?

Lucas nods.

HASSETT
(sharply)
Last name, boy?

LUCAS
(hopefully)
Wolenczak.
(anticipating)
W-O-L-E-N-C-Z-A-K.

Hassett nods, taking it down. She bends down slightly, but we can see her typing on a small computer and attaching it to the vidlink. She pauses, studying the computer screen thoughtfully.

HASSETT
(softly, to herself)
Yes, her.
(beat, to Lucas)
She already had a boy, and didn't want another child.
(beat)
A shame, since I heard her boy died.

Lucas nods, softly.

HASSETT
(slowly)
I'll send the information to you in a few moments, boy.
(beat)
Good luck to you.

LUCAS
Thank you.

They sign off. Lucas stays at the vidlink, at the edge of his seat, anxiously tapping the fingers of one hand on the table, and biting the nails of the other. He's scared to death of what he'll find.

The vidlink beeps. It's recieved the file from Hassett. Lucas hesitates a moment.

LUCAS
Well, it always worked for Tim.

Lucas crosses himself, takes a deep breath, opens the file, and begins to read.

A few moments later, he gasps in shock. He makes a call on the vidlink.

PERRY
Doctor Perry speaking.
LUCAS
(shocked, almost numb)
Doctor, this is Lucas.
(beat)
I have that information you wanted, for the DNA testing.
(beat)
Sending now . . . .

He presses the send key, then rests his head on the table, and begins to cry.



**episode 17**
"Breakpoint"

Open on Room 520, Regency Hotel.

O'Neill is pacing, agitated -- we can all but see the carpet wearing down to nothing. He's fidgety, and talking to himself.

O'NEILL
(muttering)
I'm almost out of time!!
(beat)
I've *got* to think of a way!!

He smacks his hand against his forehead, as if trying to pound out an answer.

O'NEILL
(desperate)
Think!! Think!!

He stops, presses both hands against his temples, and tries to calm down, to collect his thoughts. To help this, he begins gathering strewn items (books, his PAL, etc.).

Then he suddenly becomes angry.

O'NEILL
(furious, screaming)
There's got to be a way to lure that slime-eating
(throws something, breaking a lamp)
Slave-driving
(throws something else)
Pathetic pretender of a tyrannical
(throws something else, breaking the other lamp)
Tin-plated dictator sub-captain
(tearing apart a bed pillow like it was Hudson)
With delusions of godhood!!!
(picking up the desk chair, and smashing it into the wall)

Then he stops short -- eureka!!

O'NEILL
(amazed)
Of course! Why didn't I think of it before?

Oblivious to the annihilated condition of his room, he rushes to the vidlink, and begins putting through a call.

Cut to James Street, New Cape Quest.

Piccolo is walking toward a pay vidlink. He checks his watch, and punches in a number.

A police number appears on the screen -- the sort that probably has Dunkin Donuts on speed-dial. The camera is keeping both of them in the frame.

P.O. MARKS
(bored)
Police Officer Marks speaking.
(beat)
What's your emergency?

PICCOLO
(keeping one eye on his watch)
I wanna talk to whoever's got the McGath case.

P.O. MARKS
(still bored)
Hold on, I'll transfer you.

Cut to police station, Marks' desk.

Marks punches in the code to transfer Piccolo's call, then turns to the officer next to him.

P.O. MARKS
Get a trace.

The other officer nods, and busies himself at his console.

Cut back to James Street.

Piccolo is waiting, his eyes still on his watch, when another policeman, wearing a dark suit and tie, appears on the screen. He's older, a no-nonsense type, and dark-complexioned.

DETECTIVE REESE
(authoritative)
Detective Reese speaking.
(looks Piccolo over sceptically)
I'm told you have some information for us.

PICCOLO
(warily)
No. Just wanted ta tell ya I didn't do it.
(beat)
I was framed!

Detective Reese nods -- but we can tell he's thinking "they all say that".

DETECTIVE REESE
Why would someone do that?

Piccolo knows perfectly well why, but isn't able to say so.

PICCOLO
(flatly)
I don't know.

DETECTIVE REESE
(the "come clean son" tone)
Look, son, just come down to the station.
(beat)
We'll talk, and if you're innocent --

PICCOLO
(interrupting, angry)
*If* I'm innocent!!
(quick beat)
I *am* innocent!!

Piccolo looks at his watch, curses under his breath, hits the "hold" key, and leaves. He strides down the street, head down, trying to be as inconspicious as possible while getting away as fast as he can.

Cut back to police station.

Detective Reese listens into the vidlink connection, hears nothing, and disconnects. He gets up from his desk, drinks something masquerading as coffee from his cup, and exits.

Cut to Marks' desk.

Marks has joined the other officer -- they are creating a map, and zooming in on it. Reese enters, and walks over to where they are working, and peers over Marks' shoulder.

DETECTIVE REESE
Well?

P.O. MARKS
(grinning)
I've got an number on James Street.
(beat)
Patrol's headed that way now.

Detective Reese grins, and slaps Marks approvingly on the shoulder.

Cut back to James Street.

A police car pulls up to the public vidlink, and finds it locked on hold. The officers sigh and shake their heads -- the suspect's long gone.

Cut to the seaQuest drydock area.

Guards are still on duty, and a work crew is swarming all over the scaffolded boat, which is still high in the air. Machinery is heard whining.

Ford is standing by the elevators, looking up at the seaQuest with a faintly disgusted look on his face.

Hudson enters, after being checked by the guard, and is startled to see Ford there. He walks over to Ford.

HUDSON
Commander Ford? What are you doing here?

Ford turns to face Hudson.

FORD
(unhappily)
The police called early this morning.
(he waves in the direction of the boat)
They wanted to search Piccolo's quarters, and *insisted* I be there.

Hudson raises an eyebrow -- why you?

FORD
I just can't *believe* they think --

HUDSON
(interrupting)
Technically, Commander, I agree with you, but it would be better for Piccolo if he turned himself in to the police.
(beat)
Then the whole matter would be settled.
(beat, annoyed)
Commander, have you seen Lieutenant O'Neill around here?

Ford thinks a moment.

FORD
No.

Hudson frets.

HUDSON
He called and insisted we meet somewhere safe.
(incredulous)
*Safe*!!
(continuing)
Inside my quarters.
(jabbing a finger upwards at the boat)
Up there!!

FORD
(yeah, right)
Good luck.
(explaining)
The police argued with the work crew for over an hour.
(pointedly)
And *that* was for police business.

Hudson looks at his watch.

HUDSON
(beginning to fume in earnest now)
He's late.
(beat)
Where *is* the man?

FORD
(seeing the light)
Did you come from UEO Command or from the hotel?

HUDSON
(not getting it)
>From Command.

FORD
And O'Neill called you from the hotel?

Hudson nods, still not getting it.

FORD
(explaining)
That's why he's late. There's a major tie-up on Langley Ave.
(beat)
He could be a while.

HUDSON
(a little mollified but still annoyed)
He said he had some information that might tie in to what's been going on lately.

FORD
The sabotage?

Hudson nods. Ford looks pleased.

FORD
O'Neill won't let us down.

Cut to Police Forensics Lab, New Cape Quest.

A blond laboratory technician is peering through some sort of specialized microscope -- only it's bigger, bulkier, and wired to several nearby machines.

One of the attached machines beeps, and he walks over. After examining the readout, he crosses to the vidlink and punches some keys. Detective Reese answers.

DETECTIVE REESE
Yes?

LAB TECH
Joe, this is the police lab, and I just found some information you need . . . .

Detective Reese leans forward to listen.

Cut back to seaQuest's drydock area.

A couple hours have passed, and the work crew is on a lunch break, lounging around. The police have left.

Hudson and Ford are still waiting for O'Neill. Hudson is pacing and fuming, about ready to chew nails. Ford is doing his tennis-match-impression again.

HUDSON
(angry)
Where *is* the man?
(waves his arms at the street entrance)
Did the street tumble in on itself and swallow him up?
(waves up toward the ceiling and the boat)
Did aliens snatch him from the planet and carry him off?

FORD
(muttering)
That was last time.

Hudson glances at Ford, having overheard the comment, but says nothing. Considering how things have been going lately, he's not sure he even wants to ask.

The guards suddenly spring to life as O'Neill appears in the doorway, disheveled and puffing for breath. They frisk him, check his ID, and note him in the logs.

Both Hudson and Ford run their eyes over his appearance, and glance at each other, trying to figure out what happened.

O'Neill catches their looks, and shakes his head.

O'NEILL
(having caught his breath somewhat)
Don't even ask. You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

HUDSON
(drawing himself up)
*I'll* decide that, Mister O'Neill.

O'Neill sighs -- he doesn't want to go into this. He glances up at the boat, then looks at his watch, and relaxes a little. He's got time.

O'NEILL
(you-asked-for-it)
First, I got caught in a traffic jam on Langley.
(beat)
Then the cab's tire went kaflooie, so I had to walk.
(beat, deep breath)
Then my fan club chased me up and down the streets.

Hudson's eyebrows disappear, they're raised so high.

HUDSON AND FORD
(disbelieving, in chorus)
Your fan club?

O'NEILL
(shrug -- hey, you asked)
Yes, Sir.
(beat)
I finally lost them in a pasta factory over on Ninth. Then I doubled back here.

O'Neill waits. Hudson and Ford can only look at each other -- *O'Neill* has a fan club?

FORD
(blurting, unable to stop himself)
How many
(beat)
Fans?

O'NEILL
(thoughtful)
About fifty, I think.

Ford and Hudson turn back to each other, look at O'Neill, and look back to each other again.

Behind their backs, O'Neill glances at his watch and makes shooing motions at them.

O'NEILL
Shall we go up, Captain?

Suddenly an explosion booms out, followed by a second smaller one. All eyes focus on the seaQuest. Smoke is billowing out, and flames can be seen flickering.

The momentary shock wearing off, the work crew leaps into action, grabbing fire emergency equipment and running to the boat's rescue.

Hudson and Ford are fixed on the boat, horrified.

Then a scream of rage rings out -- O'Neill -- and both Hudson and Ford swing around to face him.

O'NEILL
(screaming, enraged, nearly incoherent)
No! No! No! Not again!!

He takes a step forward, stiff-legged with fury, his hands clenched into fists, his face contorted with the force of his rage.

O'NEILL
(continuing)
I can't stand it!!
(beat)
I can't stand *you*!!

Without warning, O'Neill rushes forward, screaming, beyond sanity, passes the stunned Ford, and tackles Hudson.

Both of them -- O'Neill screaming, Hudson struggling -- fall over, and splash into the watery depths of the docking oval.




Open on seaQuest's drydock area.

The work crew is even busier than before. There is a ragged hole in one section of the boat -- the explosions and fires did a lot of damage.

After being checked by guards, a group of police officers, led by Detective Reese, stream into the building. Reese heads for the work foreman, and they begin to argue. After a few moments, the foreman gives up and waves the police into the boat.

Cut to seaQuest corridor.

The police arrive at Ford's quarters, and we can see that the hole visible from the outside begins only 20 or 25 feet away. One of the policemen whistles -- close call!

POLICE OFFICER 1
We were lucky.

POLICE OFFICER 2
So was the crew.
(with utter certainty)
If this'd happened when she was wet, the whole crew woulda drowned.

Police Officer 1 nods in complete agreement.

Reese arrives, takes charge, and opens Ford's door. The police enter and begin to search. Reese remains to supervise, partly still in the corridor.

Ortiz and Brody wander up to see what's going on.

DETECTIVE REESE
(talking to himself)
I don't know what we're looking for exactly, but the lab said glassware or ceramics. I guess they know their job.
(sighs)
They say to search Commander Ford's rooms, we'll search Commander Ford's rooms.

Ortiz and Brody look at each other -- what's going on?

DETECTIVE REESE
(continuing)
It's bad enough we had to be here *yesterday* searching Piccolo's rooms. *All* the evidence says he killed Secretary General McGath. His prints were on the murder weapon, and he can even be placed at the scene!

Ortiz and Brody are horrified -- they know Ford's framed Piccolo.

BRODY
(clenching his fists)
Why, that --

ORTIZ
(equally angry but in control)
Calm down, Jim. We should have expected this too.
(smiling)
But that's okay. I've got an idea.

Cut to UEO Command.

Hudson, Ford, Lucas, and Acting-SecGen Davies are strolling down a hallway, reading the room numbers on the doors. Davies is a healthy-looking, heavy-set redhead in his mid-40s. Dagwood is trailing along behind them.

Ford and Lucas are still amazed at the events of the previous day. Hudson doesn't seem to be bothered at all.

LUCAS
(trying to convince Ford)
But - but Tim couldn't have done that! He's the kindest, gentlest person I've ever met!

Hudson shoots Lucas a look -- be quiet!

FORD
(why-won't-you-just-deal-with-it)
I was there, Lucas. Tim just couldn't handle it.
(shakes his head, remembering)
I know he's been under a lot of stress lately, but I never expected --

HUDSON
(interrupting)
Gentlemen, we are *not* going to discuss Lieutenant O'Neill's conduct today.
(beat)
We have other business.

They turn a corner, and almost literally run into Larry Deon, who is carrying a large briefcase. He grins weaselly at them -- I've got a secret . . . .

DAVIES
(firmly)
Wrong way, Mister Deon. Our conference room is this way.

Hudson and Ford frown at this. Deon tips a wink in Lucas' direction, but only Lucas and Hudson catch it. Hudson then glances at Lucas, who shrugs -- I don't know what he's talking about either.

They find their conference room, and enter.

Cut to conference room.

The group seat themselves at the table -- Davies at the head, Deon on the one side, and the seaQuest group on the other. Davies gestures hospitably toward a small artificial-coffee maker. All accept, except Hudson, who sighs unhappily.

DAVIES
(right-to-the-point)
Simply put, Mister Deon, the UEO wishes to purchase various large amounts of grade-A technical equipment from your company.

Deon isn't impressed.

Something catches Ford's eye -- he shifts slightly, and sees Ortiz wave at him. Ford shakes his head like I-did-not-just-see-that.

DEON
No.
(beat)
I have a contract with Alexander Bourne.

DAVIES
(knowing better)
Which allows you to supply his rival companies and nations as well.
(scoffing)
Bourne's too smart to slap a restraint-of-trade on you.
(directly)
So what's the problem?

Deon is annoyed that Davies knows this.

Hudson is looking longingly at Lucas' coffee.

DEON
I have other plans for my company.

He glances at Lucas again, and again Hudson and Lucas catch it. Hudson frowns.

DEON
(continuing)
My plans for expansion were outlined in some detail on the news. You just didn't hear them.
(smugly)
Due to seaQuest's communications problem no doubt.

Hudson and Ford look at each other -- gotcha!!

HUDSON
(menacingly)
And what communications problem would that be, exactly?

Deon belatedly realizes he's said too much, and tries to climb out of the hole he's just dug himself into.

DEON
(squirming, quickly)
What I meant, of course, was --

DAVIES
(who's put the pieces together, interrupting)
Was what, exactly?

DEON
(shooting a dirty look at Davies)
Was that I must have been misinformed.
(thoughtfully)
I wonder how that happened?

Dagwood brightens.

DAGWOOD
(eagerly)
I can tell you. I did not have time to --

Deon frantically begins to shush Dagwood, without luck.

DAGWOOD
(continuing)
-- Do all you told me to do.
(earnestly)
I was very busy.
(pleased)
I like to be busy

. Deon has given up on Dagwood, and bolts for the door. Hudson leaps up and chases after him. They exit. Everyone else is focused on Dagwood.

LUCAS
(gently, to Dagwood)
Why were you helping him, Dag?

DAGWOOD
(slowly)
I wanted to leave navy so I can go to Perseid. He
(nods toward the door)
Said that he could help me, but that I would have to do things for him.

Ford glances toward the door, sees Brody standing there, and does a double take.

Hudson returns, dragging Deon with him. Hudson sits Deon down in his chair with enough force to rattle Deon's molars. Hudson glowers at Deon.

FORD
(to Dagwood)
What kinds of things?

Dagwood thinks for a moment.

DAGWOOD
(slowly)
Things in Engineering.
(beat)
Things about moving.

LUCAS
(softly)
Navigation and Helm.

Dagwood nods, remembering -- yeah, those things.

Hudson and Ford share a look -- everything has fallen into place now. Deon is annoyed. Davies clears his throat.

DAVIES
Well, yes, be that as it may, but seaQuest is long overdue for a refit and upgrade of her onboard systems.
(rising from his chair and going to where Lucas is seated)
Mister Wolenczak, I'm giving you command over that project. Your objective is to completely refit and upgrade her to within current military standards.
(winks at Lucas, knowingly)
Or better.

Lucas is stunned, his eyes wide and his mouth hanging slack. Davies extends his hand, and Lucas grasps it.

Deon reacts -- all his plans have gone up in smoke.

DAVIES
Congratulations, Ensign.

Ortiz appears, and begins to excitedly, happily, pound an oblivious Lucas on the back in congratulations. Ford's eyes are huge, and he's begun to sweat.

Both Davies and Lucas sit, and Davies turns back to Deon.

DAVIES
(politely)
I believe we were discussing the purchase of certain equipment --

Davies leaves the sentence hanging, but the threat is clear. Cooperate or else.

Deon groans.

A noncom pokes his head into the conference room, holding open the door.

NONCOM
(apologetically)
Sorry to interrupt, Sirs, but Ensign Wolenczak has a call.

HUDSON
Go ahead, Ensign, this won't take long.

He shoots a look at Deon, who winces at the threat.

Lucas trudges out the door, his happiness gone. He's uncertain and afraid now.

Cut to Lucas' conference room.

Lucas takes a deep breath, and opens the call. Perry appears on the screen, looking like a well-fed cat.

PERRY
(pleased)
I have the results of the DNA test for you.

Lucas tightens up -- we can almost hear him praying.

PERRY
The results were positive.
(gushing)
Congratulations!

LUCAS
(stunned)
Positive? Are you sure?

Perry nods, happily.

LUCAS
(dazed)
Positive.
(beat)
Oh God . . . .

Cut to exterior Regency Hotel, front entrance.

A few hours have passed, and Detective Reese and some police officers are waiting. Henderson exits the hotel, carrying Addison Two, and looks at her watch, fretting. Not one officer even bats an eye at a grown woman sauntering around, clutching a teddy bear.

A car pulls up, and Lucas, Ford, and Hudson get out. Ortiz and Brody hop off the top of the car and wave at Ford, who is sweating rivers by now. The car leaves. Ford immediately spots Henderson, and goes to her side. They hug and kiss.

Brody and Ortiz grin at each other. Ortiz makes retching sounds -- Ford breaks the kiss and swats at him, his hands going right through. Ford's control is slipping fast.

Hudson and Lucas glance at each other (what's with him?) and back at Ford. They can't see Ortiz and Brody -- Ford has just swung at empty air.

Detective Reese approaches the group.

DETECTIVE REESE
(sternly)
Commander Ford, we have served you with a subpoena to search your quarters here and on your sub.
(beat)
Those searches have already been carried out.

Ford is shocked.

Brody capers about, thrilled by this news, while Ortiz saunters up to Henderson and begins running his hands through her hair. Henderson is totally oblivious (as usual).

Ford's control finally goes completely.

FORD
(angry)
Stop that, both of you!!

LUCAS
(what-the-heck-is-going-on)
Who?

FORD
(yelling)
Them!!

Detective Reese pulls Henderson away, and hands her over to Hudson. Ortiz and Brody are standing next to Ford, like bookends, whispering in his ears.

ORTIZ
(whispering)
You know you did it.

BRODY
(whispering)
Just say you did it.

Ford puts both hands over his ears and closes his eyes. Everyone can't help but watch.

ORTIZ
(whispering)
Confess . . . .

Ford can't stand it any longer.

FORD
(screaming, out-of-control)
Alright!! Alright!! I did it!!
(waves his arms frantically, trying to push the pair away)
Just get them away from me!!

BRODY
(whispering)
You killed McGath.

FORD
(continuing)
Yes, yes, that too!! Him too!! I killed McGath!!
(points fiercely to himself)
Me!!

Everyone is stunned, but Detective Reese is smiling widely. Reese grabs Ford, and begins to march him away.

DETECTIVE REESE
(matter-of-factly)
You have the right to remain silent --

HENDERSON
(interrupting)
Jonathan.

Ford turns to face her. She's holding Addison Two out to him.

HENDERSON
(softly)
Here. You need him more than I do.

She hands the toy bear to Ford, then turns and walks inside the hotel.

Reese continues to push Ford forward, still reading him his rights. Lucas and Hudson turn away, unable to bear it.

An explosion goes off, close, dropping both Hudson and Lucas to the ground. They struggle to their feet and rush over to where Reese, Ford, and a couple police officers are crumpled on the ground. The police officers and Hudson begin first aid. Lucas can only stand there, stunned.

HUDSON
(yelling)
Someone call 9-1-1!! Do it now!!

Lucas bends over and scoops a ragged piece of fur from the ground.
LUCAS
(brokenly)
There was a bomb inside the bear . . . .
(beat, with disbelief)
Henderson?

Ortiz and Brody stare at each other, shocked.

ORTIZ
Well.
(beat)
Who could have expected that?



**episode 19**"Truth and Consequences"

Open on Lucas' hotel room.

Lucas' room is a mess -- he's been too distracted to keep it tidy, so his possessions are everywhere. Lucas is packing his suitcases, tossing things near, over, and sometimes actually into them.

There's a knock at the door.

LUCAS
(relieved at the distraction)
Come in. It's open.

Piccolo enters, all smiles.

LUCAS
(cheered by Piccolo's very appearance)
Hey, Tony, what's it like being innocent for a change?

PICCOLO
(smugly)
I've always been innocent.

LUCAS
(scoffing, knowing better)
You haven't been innocent since you were in diapers.

Piccolo mock-swings at Lucas, who backs off in mock-fear.

Piccolo then cheerfully wanders over to the ornate mantelpiece. It is very intricately made of flowers, ribbons, bows, bells, papermache, and paint. He pokes at it with his fingers.

PICCOLO
(scoffing)
Geez, lookit this piece of junk!!
(he gestures at it)
My cousin coulda done better blindfolded and with both hands tied behind her back.

Piccolo gives up on the mantlepiece, and flops onto Lucas' bed. Lucas zooms over, and yanks an article of clothing out from under Piccolo, almost knocking him to the floor. Lucas then sedately goes back to packing.

PICCOLO
Hey, you coulda asked. I'd've moved.

Lucas gives him a "yeah-sure-I've-heard-that-before" look.

PICCOLO
(with relish)
I got news.

LUCAS
(muttering)
Tony Piccolo, Gossip Central.

PICCOLO
(grinning, not having heard Lucas' comment)
First up, the cops caught Lonnie and arrested her. She's in the brig 'til the trial.

LUCAS
I still can't believe --

PICCOLO
(with feeling)
Believe it, kiddo.

Lucas shoots him a look about the "kiddo" remark, but doesn't throw anything at him. He's clearly thinking about it, though. Lucas shrugs, and continues his packing.

PICCOLO
(continuing)
Turns out she an' Ford were in it together. Ford was killing anybody who fell in love with Lonnie.

LUCAS
(confused)
But you and Lonnie weren't --
(he gets it)
Oh.

Piccolo grins.

PICCOLO
(continuing)
It was *real* convenient for Ford to kill McGath and frame me for it. But since he and Lonnie had been doing the horizontal limbo, well, it killed two pigeons with one rock.

LUCAS
(guessing)
Lonnie knew about it, and didn't care?

PICCOLO
(nods his head)
Yeah. He wanted her all to himself, but she just wanted to fly up the ranks. She figgered that if they couldn't or wouldn't help her, they were worthless so she deep-sixed 'em .
(beat)
Made it from Ensign to Lieutenant, an' did it without even being on the planet!
(whistles appreciatively, as if in memory)
What a woman!!

LUCAS
(still unhappy)
But throwing a bomb at him --

PICCOLO
(grimacing)
Yeah, yeah, I know.
(explaining)
Maybe she wanted to make it look like she had no part in it at all, like the bomb in the bear was really meant for her. (beat, he shrugs)
Don't know. She ain't talking.

PICCOLO
(continuing the line of gossip, relaxing again)
Anyway, Ford made it, and he's in the hospital 'til he can be moved to the brig.
(grimly pleased)
Ford sang like a birdie, spilled his guts, and took Lonnie down with him.
(grinning)
And admitted framing me!

Lucas looks pleased. He's finished packing, so he tips his bags off the bed and onto the floor. Lucas sits on the bed with Piccolo, soaking up the gossip.

LUCAS
(teasing)
Okay, Mister Gossip. What about Dag?

PICCOLO
Hudson and Davies are lookin' into it. They think Deon took advantage, and Dag really didn't know what was going on.
(beat)
Hudson's pushing for Dag to get probation, school, and some kinda detached duty here in New Cape Quest.

LUCAS
(challenging)
What about Tim?

PICCOLO
(simply)
Hudson dropped the charges.

Lucas' mouth drops open -- no way!!

LUCAS
(amazed)
He *what*?

PICCOLO
(cheerfully)
Hudson dropped all the charges against Tim, and got the UEO to too. He's got Tim in some kinda heavy-duty emotional counseling, and I hear he'll be okay.
(beat)
But it'll take a while.

LUCAS
(still astonished but approving)
And Hudson's involving himself in the therapy?

Piccolo laughs.

PICCOLO
(grinning)
Oh yeah.
(beat)
You oughta see it. He and Tim are gonna be whacking each other with foam bats!!

Lucas grins. Piccolo laughs again.

PICCOLO
(continuing)
But you --

There's another knock on the door. Lucas looks at his watch, and gets up to answer it. Opening the door, we find Captain Nathan Bridger standing there, smiling but somewhat dazed -- but, then, he's had some rather shocking news.

LUCAS
(grinning)
But I won't be here. Right . . .
(beat, hesitantly)
Dad?

Bridger takes two giant steps and enfolds Lucas in a bear hug so tight we expect Lucas' ribs to break. Bridger lets go, grinning like a fool.

LUCAS
(still grinning)
Relax, Tony. I'll see you in two weeks when my project starts.

Lucas and Bridger pick Lucas' suitcases off the floor, wave bye to Piccolo, and exit.

Piccolo can't stay on the bed any longer. Sighing, he gets up and crosses toward the vidlink, but stops just abreast of the fancy mantelpiece in shock.

Two bells on the mantelpiece are ringing.

Piccolo smiles -- a sad, soft, smile full of joy and memories.

PICCOLO
(softly)
Goodbye, Miguel.
(beat)
Goodbye, Jim.



FINIS


Note: according to legend, when a bell rings of its own accord, it means that an angel has earned its wings. In this case, two bells are two angels, meaning Miguel and Jim.

Ta-dah!! My epic!!!