A Second Chance

By Mara

AUTHOR'S NOTE: The below story is basically just a set up for future stories. I needed to have it so that later stuff would make sense but I couldn't figure out how to incorporate it into a longer story. Lucas barely appears in it but it should help make stuff in later stories clearer. The events of With this Ring are mentioned briefly. That's it. I'm done talking. For now.


A Second Chance
By Mara


Ben had been pretty surprised when Katie had agreed to go out with him. She had said that she felt like giving him a second chance. Just one second chance though. Ben had carefully chosen what restraunt to take Katie to, and had finally decided on Chez Pierre, a fancy french restruant he knew Katie liked. Katie was wearing a black velvet dress and had her hair pulled back. She looked beautiful! Ben was wearing a suit and tie and looked very uncomfortable. They had just finished dinner and were walking back to the SeaQuest's berth.

"This had been a wonderful evening, Ben. If you asked me out on a second date I might just say yes," Katie said.

Ben grinned. "Well then, would you like to go out to dinner next shore leave?"

Katie smield back at him. "Yes. I think I would."

Ben smiled and linked arms with her. "And here I thought you would never go out with me."

Katie grinned. "Even after I admitted I still loved you?"

"Even then. I assumed that was just the stress talking. I mean, You were sitting on the ground, holding the head of a bleeding teenager, at the time."

Katie smiled. "Yes, but I meant every word I said. That doesn't mean we are going to get involved completely seriously. A few dates maybe, but not serious."

Ben quickly nodded. "Hey, no problem. I don't mind, as long as I get to spend time with you."

Katie groaned and shook her head. "Your starting to make me regret going out with you."

Ben just smiled. "Well, it's too late to change your mind now. Your stuck with me."

Katie laughed. "I haven't decided yet whether that's a good thing or a bad thing."

Ben smiled and pulled her against him. "I hope it's a good thing," he whispered before he kissed her.

Katie was a bit surprised when Ben kissed her but when the kiss ended she simply smiled. "It might just be a good thing. Maybe, even, a very, very, good thing."

The couple finished their walk to the SeaQuest and Ben even walked Katie to her quarters. "Good night, Katie. I'll see you tomorrow," he said as he turned to go.

Katie smiled. "Yeah, see you tomorrow."

Ben headed for the moonpool and was not surprised to find that Lucas was there. "Hey, kid, wanna here about my date with Katie?"

Lucas looked up. "Did you spill something on her?"

Ben just smirked. "No, everything went perfect," he grinned and walked out calling back, "Right down to the goodnight kiss." He stepped out of the room and began counting. Fifteen seconds later Lucas came out.

"I want details, Ben." the teen said.

Ben grinned mischievously, that was the reaction he was expecting. "You got it." he started in on describing the date in ever detail.



-30-