TITLE: One Perfect Rose

AUTHOR: Helen

DISCLAIMER: Roswell doesn't belong to be, but Max Evans will........lol. I wish.

RATING: PG-13

SPOILERS: Just the basic Roswell plotline.

CATEGORY: Max/Isabel

SUMMARY: Isabel takes a chance...........

FEEDBACK: YES! YES! YES!

DISTRIBUTION: Put it anywhere as long as you let me know.

Author's note: Answer to Ashley's Valentine's Day Challenge. The requirements are as follows:
-Nothing above R
-Must revolve around Valentines Day
-Must be Max/Isabel
-Cupid must be mention
-Someone must use the line, "Valentines Day is just a holiday made by people who actually get some. I mean who else could think up of little men in diapers going around shooting everyone in the ass except for some guy who was getting some?"

And things you must use:
-a heart shaped box of chocolates
-one red rose
-an ET doll
-a candy heart that says "Kiss Me"

And you get bonus feedback if you do this:
-one of the characters says "mud" (a reference to tonight's episode "The Convention")



ONE PERFECT ROSE
By Helen




Feb. 12

"You are telling me that you and Liz are back together?" Isabel looked at Max's reflection in her mirror.

Max nodded.

Isabel put down her hair brush and turned around to face Max who was sitting on her bed. "Max.....I thought you were going to stay away from........" Isabel started.

"Isabel." Max cut her off. "I tried. I really did. But it isn't working."

Isabel turned back to her mirror.

"You can't be mad at me for that!" Max said.

"I am not mad." Isabel said and picked up her brush. She then brushed her hair so vigorously that the handle broke and the other half fell to the floor. Max met her gaze in the mirror. Isabel ignored him and took out another brush to reassume her activity. Max took the hint and left the room.

Max felt bad for telling Isabel about him and Liz. But he wanted her to know and he also wanted to discourage her from liking him. And of course he knew that Isabel had had a crush on him since forever. She believed herself to be in love with him but he was sure that'll pass. After coming to terms with his decision, he went to sleep.



Feb. 13

"Valentines Day is just another stupid holiday, made up by people who are actually gettin some. I mean, who else could think up little men in diapers, who go around shooting people in the ass with arrows, except for some guy who's gettin some?” Maria said after Liz told her about her Valentine's day plans.

"That's not true!" Liz said. "Valentine's Day is......."

"Depressing" Maria finished for her.

Liz sighed. "I got something for you." she said and took out a little bag of candy hearts. She opened the bad and age a few and then handed the bag to Maria. "Max loves these." Liz added happily.

Maria took out a candy heart and read the message on it. "Kiss me." She then threw it on the ground and crushed it beneath her shoe. She proceeded to repeat the process with more candy.

"Maria!" Liz said and took away her candy. "What is it with you today?"

"How come I never have a date for Valentine's?" Maria complained.

"You would if you actually....."

"Noooooooo!" Maria cut Liz off. "Valentine's day is designed to make the lonely feel more so." she insisted.

"Maria, Maria, Maria." Liz said. "You bitter, jaded, cynical.....thing!" she finished. "Valentine's day is not only a day for couples.....it is also a time to take chances to...." Liz stopped as the phone rang. "Hello?" she picked it up and then smiled and handed the phone to Maria. "It's Michael." she said.

Isabel would have never admitted it but if she had been at Maria's earlier that day, she would have agreed with Liz Parker: Valentine's Day was definitely a time to take chances. And that was exactly what Isabel Evans was planning to do. If Max wasn't going to notice her, she was going to make him notice. She looked at the time as she got ready. 11:58 pm. Almost there. She put on her Maybelline Express lipstick, since she didn't want 'smuded make-up' after her make out session with Max. She heard the clock strike midnight. She smiled at her reflection in the mirror. "Happy Valentine's Day, Isabel." she said and stood up to go to Max's room.



Feb. 14. Valentine's Day.

The first think Isabel saw when she entered Max's room was an ET doll on his bed. She picked up the dool. "Gee, Max, I didn't know you had an ET doll. Aren't you a little too old.........."

"It's a collector's item!" Max said defensively, taking the doll and putting it away.

Isabel sat down on his bed. "I need some advice." she said.

Max came and sat by her. "What is it?" he asked.

"This is kinda embarassing but you are the only guy who will give me the right advice." Isabel started. "See, last night, I was on a date with this guy.....and well, when we started kissing...things got outta hand and he got all agressive on me. I ended up dumping him." Isabel said, looking down at her hands.

"You were right to break it off." Max said. "Who was it?" he asked.

Isabel ignored the question. "Well, Max, I am not so sure that it was entirely his fault. He was the fifth guy I dumped for the exact same reason." she said. "Maybe it's me?"

"What do you mean?" Max asked.

"I mean....maybe I am giving out the wrong signals." she said.

"It is a possiblity." Max agreed.

"Well." Isabel said, scooting closer. "This is where you come in."

"What do you mean?" Max asked again.

"I want you to tell me if it's me.....You'll have to kiss me." she said.

"NO WAY!" Max said.

"Please, Max!" Isabel pleaded. "I am desperate and you are the only one who can help. I have a date today with Ash.....and I would hate to have to break it off with him too." she finished.

"Ash?" Max asked.

Isabel smiled dreamily. "Ash Redfern. He is this college guy that I met a week ago and he finally asked me out yesterday." she said.

"But....." he started.

"Max, it's not just about Ash! It's about me. You know if I end up getting pregnant, it'll be as much you fault as it will be mine."

Max looked at her for a mintue. "OK." he said. "But you owe me........big time."

Isabel nodded, smiling brightly.

As Max lowered his mouth to hers, Isabel reconsidered her decision to be a supermodel. Maybe she should be an actoress. She sure as hell kicked at it. But then, as Max's lips touched hers, all thoughts were driven out of her head. Max kissed her lightly, gently at first. But Isabel wrapper her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss, pressing her body firmly against his. Max tensed for a second but then his arms came around her waist and moved up her back. As Max leaned in, Isabel laid back down, never breaking the contact. Isabel had kissed a lot of guys but nothing had ever felt like this. If she had had any doubts about her and Max, they were gone now. She was definitly in love with Max and she wasn't going to let him go.

Then suddenly Max pulled away and sat up. He looked at her, looking dazed. Isabel sat up too, slipping back into her act. "So.......how did I do?" she asked him.

Max looked at her like he had no idea what she was talking about. Then he seemed to remember. "That depends on what you were *trying* to do." he said.

Isabel bit her lip to keep from smiling. "What do you mean?" she asked.

"It's definitly you, Isabel." he said and stood up.

"You mean........" Isabel started.

"I have to get to bed, Iz." Max cut her off, looking everywhere but as her. "I am going to spend the entire day with Liz tomorrow. Have to get up early." he said.

Isabel stood up, looking hurt. "You are going out with Liz?" she asked.

"I thought I told you about it. I thought you would understand." he said.

"Oh, I understand." Isabel said heatedly. "I understand everything. All I DO is understand!" Isabel said and left the room, slamming the door so hard that Max's door painting fell off and broke.

Max lay down but he couldn't go to sleep. He couldn't help wondering about the Ash Redfern person. He had always hoped that Isabel would get over him but now that she seemed to be just that, he felt odd and not so special anymore. His toughts then driffted off to their kiss. It had been intense. "Mud." Max said to himself. "Think of mud." He tried in vain to go to sleep.

~~~

Isabel slammed her bedroom door shut. She lay down on her bed and let the tears fall. Before today, she had at least had hope but now she knew that Max didn't want her. She had tried so hard to get him to notice her. Long ago, she had accepted the fact that her and Max won't be together but it hurt more now then ever. What did Liz had that she didn't? Isabel couldn't help wondering. She turned off the lights and cried herself to sleep.

~~~~

Liz woke up early in the morning to get ready for her big day with Max. Max picked her up at noon. He even brought her a red heart-shaped box of chocolates. They both went to an expensive resturant for launch. They were to meet Michael and Maria later that day for dinner. Max then took her out to the desert. As they sat there, Liz talked about their plans for the day. "So I thought that it would be great if we made it a double date." she said.

"Yea. It'll be fun." Max agreed. "But it might have been better if we were alone." he said.

Liz smiled and Max leaned in to kiss her. As Liz kissed back, Max was remined of THE kiss last night. For some reason, Liz seemed dull now......... like mud, Max thought.

~~~~

Isabel was out of Kleenax. She had been crying since she woke up. She got up and got another box of Kleenax along with the remote control. She turned on the TV and filpped throught the channels. Half the channels were showing stupid shows with Cupid in them and the few remaining ones were airing some dumb Cupid And Psyche movie. "Figures." Isabel said, sniffing. She turned off the TV. There was a knock on her door. Isabel quickly put away her Kleenax and wiped her tears away. "Come in!" she said. It was Max.

"I thought you were going out with Liz?" Isabel said.

"And I thought you had a date with Ash." Max retorted.

Isabel frowned. "Who?"

Max smiled and closed the door to her room.

"I kinda told Liz that we aren't working out." Max said.

Isabel didn't let herself hope. "Why?" she asked.

"I couldn't stop thinking about you since last night." he said. "I broke it off with Liz because I don't think we'll work out."

Isabel waited for him to continue.

"Isabel....I don't know if WE will work out. But I am willing to give it a shot." Max said and held out his hand.

Isabel took his hand in hers. Max took out a rather dead looking red rose and held it out to her. "I got this for you." he said.

Isabel couldn't help smiling.

"I know it's not....." Max started.

Isabel took the flower and hugged it to her chest. "No. It's perfect!" she said.

Max smiled. "So now........It's only 5:00 pm. and it IS Valentine's Day. You want to go somewhere?" he asked.

Isabel was speechless.

"Unless of course, Ash Redfern can still make it." Max added.

"I would love to go out." Isabel said, putting her arms around his neck. "Kiss me." she said.

"Glady," Max answered as his mouth came down on hers.


~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*The End~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~**~~*