Title: Stop Breathing

Authors: Creed Cascade

Fandom: The Professionals

Pairing: Bodie/Doyle

Rating: PG-13

Status: new

Archive: If you want it, go ahead. Just knock me upside the head and let me know.

Feedback: creed_cascade@hotmail.com

Other websites: http://www.angelfire.com/weird/openairinsaneasylum/index1.htm

Disclaimers: I have a "don’t ask, don’t tell" policy. You don’t ask where I get these strange plots staring mysteriously familiar characters, and I won’t tell you that I make no money, only deliriously happy satisfaction. Very hush-hush.

Notes: This is my first experiment with Pros fic. Be kind.

Summary: Our favourite lads relationship is questioned.

 

<><><><><><>

STOP BREATHING

Written By Creed Cascade

Two sweaty male bodies writhed on the bed. The film quality was bad, but it was good enough to make it clear what agents 4.5 and 3.7 were doing. To put it crassly, they were doing each other. The film projector clicked to a stop just as Bodie was about to enter Ray.

"That’s more than enough to prove my point," Dr. Kate Ross said sharply, turning the light on. "I told you this would happen. It was a mistake to pair those two and now I’ve just been proven right."

"Where did you get that footage?" George Cowley demanded in a cold tone. He just hoped to god it wasn’t blackmail.

"I have my means," Kate said firmly. "You gave me free reign when it came to the psychological well being of the squad. I do whatever it takes to do my job. Sometimes that includes surveillance. You now damn well the men give up their privacy when they join CI5."

"And you answer to me," Cowley reminded her sharply. "What exactly would you have me do?"

"They should be removed from the squad and at the very least separated."

"I paired them despite your warnings," Cowley scowled at her. "And why is that, Dr. Ross?"

Kate sighed, scowling back at him and deadpanned. "Because you’re the head of CI5."

"It’s good to see your degrees are at least good for helping you recognizing authority figures when the need arises," Cowley cut her down quickly. "If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times…"

"You have a *feel* for this sort of thing," she finished for him in a mocking tone. "They are involved in one of the most self destructive, co-dependant relationships I’ve ever seen."

"English, Doctor Ross," Cowley said curtly, taking a sip of his beloved scotch. "English."

"Alright, they are both selfish little boys who don’t like others playing with their toys and yet refuse to grow up and enter an adult relationship. They both have a phobia of commitment and they keep socks longer than they keep girlfriends."

"I could have told you that the day I first looked over their personnel files," Cowley snorted. "Give me more to justify your diagnosis."

Kate walked over to her briefcase and pulled out two thick files. She tossed them onto Cowley’s desk. "Their case histories are enough to justify my diagnosis. Bodie left home at fourteen years old to escape an abusive life. I am more than thorough with my work, Mr. Cowley. Before 3.7 joined the squad, we conducted the usual in-depth background study. He ran away to get away from his addict and prostitute mother. Seems it was the last straw when an interested buyer inquired after her handsome young son. I won’t go into Bodie’s violent temper or fierce over-protectiveness of Doyle, but he has i

"I already knew all of this," Cowley huffed. "How does this figure into their incapability in the field?"

Kate gave a long-suffering sigh. She hated having to explain the simplest concepts to laymen. "I already said agents 4.5 and 3.7 were in a co-dependent relationship. And before you say anything… that roughly translates to toxic love. They are both obsessed with other. Dependent on each other for security to the point of blurring the lines between having separate lives. They live in each other’s back pockets. But that’s just the start… there’s the constant power plays, manipulation and flashes of jealousy and over-protectiveness. They can’t endure separation from one another and go off on suici

"Everything you described makes them the best agents we have," Cowley said calmly.

"You’re not listening to a thing I’m saying," Kate snapped. "Maybe once you take into account that Doyle is a repressed homosexual, you’ll understand. He hates himself for what he is and chases women to compensate. That whole fiasco with that woman he was supposedly in love with proves my point. Doyle keeps trying to deny what he is and what he wants with Bodie, so he keeps running away. But he always returns and Bodie keeps taking him back."

"And Bodie’s women?" Cowley asked with a raised eyebrow.

"My guess would be to keep their cover, but mostly to provoke Doyle’s jealously," Kate countered. "They have a cycle of pushing one another away then pulling the other back."

"What would be your recommendation?"

For the first time hope sparked for Kate. "I would recommend immediate suspension and an order that they stay away from each other."

"And do you really think they’d stay away from each other?"

"Well… no," Kate amended. "You might have to enforce that order. They are as addicted to the squad as they are to each other. But I wouldn’t put it past them to try and reject it all for each other. In that event, I think an intervention would be order. They’re sick men, Mr. Cowley. They’ll be the death of each other."

Cowley poured himself another glass of scotch and downed half of it one gulp. "If those lads tried to stop what they have, it would be like trying to stop breathing. Even if they could do it… which I doubt, it would kill them. Either way they are living the life of the damned."

"So what are you going to do?" Kate demanded.

"Let them do their job," Cowley said quietly and downed the rest of the scotch. He starred Kate straight in the eyes. "This conversation never happened."

"But…" Kate tried to protest.

"Ock, be quiet woman," Cowley snapped, loosing his temper. "They stare death in the face every hour of every day. They deserve some happiness. Now get out of my office."

Kate glared at Cowley in shock and then threw the files into her brief case. "Very well, Mr. Cowley. What about the film?"

"It’s the only copy?"

"Yes."

"It’ll be destroyed and I’d expect any future surveillance of these agents to be approved by me from now on."

"Yes, Sir," Kate answered in a cold tone, turning out on her heels she slammed the door behind her. This wasn’t over. Far from it. She couldn’t stand by and call herself a doctor while idly watching two men slowly destroy each other. She would find a way to save them.

END.