Title: To Kiss a Thief---Prologue

Author: BuffyAngel68

e-mail: vg68@msn.com

Rating: G... for now. I'll wait and see how the relationship seems to be developing.

Summary: X-over Pretender/ Highlander: the Raven- My effort for Highlander Week.

Notes: I was inspired by a discussion about Jarod and Miss Parker on my Pretender list. I got thinking about what kind of woman could turn Jarod's head so fast it will practically twist off his neck, and also fill it up with what he really needs to understand about letting go of the past. Amanda darling? Oh, wisest little minx, avid contributor to the fantasies and the affectionate fury of poor former Det. Wolfe? Take it away, sweetie.....



To Kiss A Thief
By BuffyAngel68


prologue

{I really need to get out of here. I have that meeting at the museum in half an hour.... less, now.} the striking blond admonished herself mentally, glancing down at her watch only for a moment, then returning her eyes to the sight that had so captivated her interest. {This just doesn't happen to me! I keep telling my cute little rear end to get up and move, but the message isn't making it to my brain! I mean, c'mon...he's no hotter than Methos or Duncan.....} she rationalized, but a closer inspection changed her mind. {Alright, so hotter is a relative term. The chair underneath this one should be cinders by now! He's got a little of Wolfe's look about him.... the stubble, the untidy dark hair, the smoldering expression....}

"Okay, Amanda. We are so not going there again..." she muttered to herself, thoughts of the most recent fight with her friend finally giving her the impetus to rise, leave payment for her lunch on the café table and go.

As she walked away, even though she was moving more quickly than she usually bothered to in fear that she would be late for her meeting, she realized he had also risen from his table and was now tailing her discreetly, staying several yards back, but not so far behind that he would easily lose track of what turns and moves she made. "Oh pretty, another day I'd gladly play whatever game you choose, but not this day....."

Over the course of a minute or two, Amanda positioned herself directly in front of the man behind her, so she would be hidden from the view of the stranger who'd followed her from the café. As she passed a small bookstore, she swiftly ducked inside, hoping she had been fast enough that her pursuer hadn't seen.

When he passed the doorway she knew her ruse had worked. Letting a minute or two pass, she slipped out again, prepared to move on to her appointment, but his voice reached her ears from the doorway just ahead of her and she halted, knowing she had been out-smarted.

"Aren't you the least bit curious?"

Ignoring the sting that always accompanied even the most minor loss of face for her, she tossed the stranger a light smile and a worthy comeback and took a step or two past him.

"Hmm. You're definitely something worth being curious about..... if I had the time. You will excuse me?"

Again, he spoke and this time merely hearing the timbre of his voice stopped her in her tracks; silk on the surface, smoke layered just below that and every word dripping with Satan's own brand of temptation.

"You're really going to just..... walk away."

{Amanda, pull your brain out of your unmentionables and put it back in your head! He's a man, and a mortal at that. No man has ever weakened your knees without your explicit consent, and no man ever will. Smite the creature with one of your classic bon mots and move on!}

"Let's see. Two feet, Italian leather on the feet. All muscles and tendons in good working order. Yes. I think I will walk away, now. You have a pleasant day."

"Amanda."

He spoke her name softly, and to her dismay, her knees not only weakened, they almost buckled. Her stomach, suddenly fluttering as if a cave full of enraged bats had taken up residence in it, was no help at all. To her credit, her vulnerability lasted no longer than a moment. Swiftly, she drew her sword, holding it close to her body but angled slightly outward, and stepped into his personal space to deliver an unmistakable, sotto voce warning nose to nose.

"I don't know how you know my name.... but I'd advise you to erase it from your memory banks. Don't follow me anymore, don't hire someone *else* to follow me, and chalk up whatever it was you wanted to misfortune and misinformation. Are we crystal clear on the rules, handsome?"

"I understand."

"Good." she replied, turning to stride away, sure he was cowed well enough that she was done with him.

"I'll see you again. Soon, I think. Don't worry about finding me. I know where to reach you."

Refusing to answer him, or even turn back, Amanda continued on her way, already drawing her cell phone from the pocket of her coat.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"What do you mean you didn't? I simply don't believe you, Duncan. This is exactly the kind of puerile stunt you'd pull..... you're serious. Well, what about that ancient artifact you call a friend..... Methos is in Tibet? Great. That means I may have a genuine problem on my hands. No, no. I can handle this. If I need you, I won't hesitate to bellow. Don't go expecting a sudden emergency message, though. You know better than anyone that I have a talent for turning situations to my advantage. Yes. I'll update you when I know more. I promise. Ciao, dearest."

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Interesting. What more can I say? We spoke for forty-five seconds, I think. That's probably generous. Of course I will. She's pretty. Alright, alright, she's stunning, but I'm not here to sight- see, even when the sights are that pleasant. No, I won't be walking around Paris with my eyes closed... Look, will you just pass on the message? Right. Our initial encounter was successful. The second meeting is already in the works. By day after tomorrow, she'll be begging me to join in this little adventure...."



END PROLOGUE