Title: A Happy Family

Author: Natasha

natasha@kyxar.fr

Fandom: The Pretender (Sydney/Lyle ; Jarod/Miss Parker)

Rating: NC-17 (m/f, slash m/m)

Pairing: Sydney/Lyle; Jarod/Miss Parker

Spoiler: "Wake Up" and "Donaterese"

Date: 07/02/2000

Archive: yes

Disclaimer: not mine.

Summary: Shortly after Miss Parker's boyfriend, Thomas, was murdered (ep. 3.18 "Wake up"), Sydney discovers that Lyle has some relational problems with his father. Then he finds out that Lyle may be in love with him. Sydney decided to take advantage of Lyle's vulnerability. Meanwhile, Raines's men capture Jarod and Miss Parker wondered about her feelings for the pretender.

Thanks to Tricia and Jemi for the beta-reading

The story is archived at my site http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Lot/8376/pretender/pretender.html

 

A HAPPY FAMILY

By Natasha
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

"Thomas' murderer is dead," Miss Parker concluded. "That's all I wanted."

She looked at her brother but he didn't move a hair. Miss Parker knew that Thomas Gates' real murderer was still alive and free, but following Jarod's advice, she gave the feeling she had accepted police report's conclusions. Sooner or later, she would find about the real murderer, and he would pay.

*=*=*=*

Miss Parker left her own office, leaving Lyle and Sydney together. Even if the two men weren't the closest friends in the world, they both cared for her.

"Do you think she'll be OK?" Lyle asked suddenly. "It seems to me she'll recover."

"Her determination to find Thomas' murderer has kept her alive," Sydney replied. "But sooner or later she will need more help, even if she doesn't want to recognize it."

Lyle smiled. "She doesn't really like shrinks," he noticed.

"She likes to think she's invulnerable," Sydney replied. "But she isn't. Neither are you."

"What do you mean?" Lyle asked, surprised. "It's not my girlfriend who has been murdered."

Sydney sank his eyes into Lyle's, "I noticed something very strange when we were at the garage, when we find that guy's body in the car."

Lyle raised his brows, "What?"

"When your father ordered you to send a team of 'cleaners', you said, 'yes Sir'. You called your own father 'Sir'. I remembered hearing you calling him 'father' when you first learnt you were his son."

Lyle's face stayed straight but Sydney noticed a light in his eyes.

"It's none of your business, Sydney!" The tone was dry and cold, but Sydney didn't give up, "What? Did I touch something sensitive?"

Lyle had an unnerved sigh and talked briefly, "He asked me to call him that! It's not really important!"

"But you wanted to call him 'father'?" Sydney didn't give up.

Lyle began to pace, losing his temper, "Sydney, didn't someone ever tell you are really a pain in the ass?" he asked angrily. "He clearly told me we were both too old to play father and son. I agree with that. It was stupid from my part to think he'd be happy to have a son. He already has his angel! I don't need a father!"

Lyle stormed out of the room and Sydney exited after him, thoughtful. He would have never guessed that Lyle was so, sentimental?

The next days, Sydney carefully observed Lyle with Mr. Parker. They both acted more like colleagues, rather than father and son. He discreetly asked Miss Parker about that, and she shrugged. "With Lyle, you never know."

"But your father doesn't treat him like his son," Sydney noticed.

Miss Parker seemed to think to that before replying, "I don't really know about their relationship. It's true that at the beginning, Lyle seemed want to be close to my, to our father. But you know Lyle; he always does things when he's interested in it, not by feelings. I don't even think he's able to have feelings."

"He's kind with you," Sydney replied.

"Yes, that's true. But why?" Miss Parker asked with scorn. "I don't buy it. Lyle is mad, and you know it better than me. He's a psychopath, a killer, and a bastard. I will never trust him. And I think that my father is wise enough not to trust him, too."

"Have you ever felt that bond between you, the twin bond?" Sydney asked.

Miss Parker opened her eyes wide then laughed, "You're kidding, Sydney. The twin bond! It's only mumbo-jumbo to sell some magazines. I never felt anything for Lyle, except hate and disgust."

Sydney tried to warn her, but it was too late, and Lyle was already in her office.

"Thank you, dear sister," he said casually. "Let me tell you the feeling's mutual!"

But Sydney could see the hurt in Lyle's eyes for a few seconds. Then the usual Lyle went back.

"I'll leave you," Miss Parker said.

Lyle place some files on Sydney's desk, "It's about Jarod's last missions," he said. "My father wants you to read them carefully and write a report."

Sydney took the reports and started reading them, before asking, "Tell me, Lyle, aren't you tired being seen as a psychopath and a madman by your own sister and father?"

He knew his question was cruel, and he was aware that Lyle could just send him to Hell.

"Sydney, I'm a big boy, you know. I can accept perfectally that my father only wants one child, not two, and that my twin sister hates me enough to let me die at her feet without moving a hair. I need neither their love nor their care. I'm a solitary creature, and it's better like that. Love and affection are only for the weak!"

"One day, Lyle, you'll fall in love with someone, like your sister did. And at that time, you'll see that you're as weak as she is," Sydney commented.

Lyle had a bitter laugh, "Love is only crap," he snorted. "I, I had this weakness. I fought it back. It's the only action a wise man should take."

"Why? You can be charming enough to catch an unfortunate young woman in your coils!"

"She wasn't a young unfortunate woman," Lyle replied bitterly. "This relationship was without any future and I preferred to give up. So now I'm not a screwed up like my dear sister. Look at her! Since she met that guy, she acted contrary to common sense."

"And who was she?" Sydney asked.

"Who was what?" Lyle asked, lost.

"The woman you fell for?"

"That's none of your business!" Lyle replied sharply before leaving.

Sydney stayed a few minutes wondering, and then smiled. So Mr Lyle had some weaknesses, too. The woman he fell for should be powerful, powerful enough to prevent Lyle from seducing her until he fell at her turn. Slowly thoughts began to flow into his mind. Perhaps Lyle had given him a valuable piece of information. If he was able to have feeling for someone, that left him weak.

Sydney waited until he was sure Lyle was out of the Centre before entering his office; some reports in his hands, ready to justify his presence. He carefully closed the door. He had asked Broots to deactivate the videos and the other man had obeyed without any question. Broots was really a good guy. Sydney circled Lyle's desk and began opening the drawers, looking for something special. He didn't find anything. If Lyle had hot files, he kept them elsewhere. But Sydney noticed that one drawer seemed shorter than the others, and he removed it completely. There was a kind of false bottom, and Sydney easily opened it. There was an envelop in it. He opened it, and found three pictures.

One was undoubtedly Catherine Parker's. She was holding baby Miss Parker in her arms. Sydney knew that picture, Miss Parker had the same. He found another one of Miss Parker herself. Why the Hell Lyle could want to keep her sister's picture? Sydney frowned as a theory went to him. At the beginning, Lyle ignored Miss Parker, that she was his sister. Perhaps he had fallen for her before knowing it, then understood it was an impossible love. It would fit his words 'without any future'. This was definitely something he had to investigate about. Sydney nearly missed the third picture. This time, it left him speechless.

The picture figured Broots and himself.

Sydney carefully put the pictures back in the envelope, and put the drawer back into the desk. His mind was reduced to a bunch of questions. Why the Hell would Lyle keep a picture of him and Broots? Sydney had read Lyle's private medical files several times, and had found nothing about any attraction to men. Lyle had always been straight, chasing skirts as easily as he was breathing. So why that photo?

On the verge of a headache, Sydney decided that observing Lyle would be his favorite pastime for the next few days. Lyle was often too close to Jarod for comfort's sake, and Sydney had more and more difficulties to hide vital information about his protégé. If he could find something that would leave Lyle vulnerable, it would be perfect.

The next few days he carefully observed Lyle, especially when Miss Parker or Broots were present. But Lyle treated them exactly as he used to, with coldness and false kindness with his sister, and a mix of scorn and dryness for Broots. Curiosity had always been one of Sydney's weaknesses. He liked to know everything he could.

"You should be happy that your sister is single again," he said as they were alone in his office. "Miss Parker was about to leave the Centre."

Lyle smiled and replied, "I'm not my father, Sydney. He's the one who wants to keep her next to him, not me. You can believe me or not, but I was sincerely happy she has found love. I hope she'll heal and fall for another man. She deserves better than the Centre."

Sydney didn't reply. His first theory was wrong. So who, Broots? If he could prove that Lyle was in love with Broots - poor Broots! - Sydney would have a wonderful item for blackmailing Lyle with if he threatened Jarod's freedom too much.

But Lyle never looked especially at Broots. After a particular round discourteous remarks towards the kind computer scientist, Sydney waited for him to leave to observe dryly, "Lyle, would you one day be a bit more kind with Broots? He does a wonderful job with computers, a job I'm sure you wouldn't be able to do!"

"Sorry, Sydney, if I don't spend my life in front of a stupid machine," Lyle responded with scorn. "For me, computers are useful tools, and we need technicians to make them work. But I never really understand how people could be fond of these metal and plastic boxes!"

This wasn't definitely the behaviour of a lover, Sydney concluded. So who? Then he remembered he was on that photo, too, and nearly gasped. This was impossible! Lyle couldn't be in love for him! He was old enough to be his father. Lyle couldn't.

'There is a simple way to know,' Sydney thought. 'Let's go.'

"Coffee, Lyle?" he offered while pouring himself a mug of steamy liquid.

"I'd love some," Lyle replied.

Sydney poured a second mug and handed it to Lyle, taking care to accidentally brush his fingers against Lyle's, his eyes locked on the younger man's face. He didn't miss the nearly imperceptible shiver that ran at the surface of Lyle's straight face.

Sydney began to talk about Jarod's latest mission, but his mind was observing Lyle. The younger man seemed not as concentrated as usual. When he finished his coffee, Sydney took the mug back from him, brushing his fingers against Lyle's a bit longer than the first time. This time, Lyle nearly jumped.

"Something wrong, Lyle?" Sydney asked with the face of an innocent.

"No, nothing," Lyle replied, his face impassive.

"I thought about what you told me the other day," Sydney said, beginning to pace around the other man.

"And what did I tell you?" Lyle asked.

"About the person you fell for. The impossible love."

"Sydney, I already told you it wasn't your business," Lyle replied in a bored tone. "I shouldn't have told you that. I was upset by Thomas' death and my sister's sorrow."

"Come on, Lyle, for once I could almost find you likable," Sydney told lightly.

Lyle tensed and got on his feet. "Almost," he smiled back.

"Tell me about that impossible love," Sydney encouraged him. "I don't ask for her name. What does she do?"

Lyle didn't reply. He seemed thoughtful. Sydney was about to give up when the other man took a deep breath and said, "Shrink."

Sydney's heart missed a beat. "Shrink?" he said lightly. "You have a good taste."

They both laughed and Sydney pushed his way, "Does she have a practice in town?"

"No, she doesn't. There's no point calling all the practices, Sydney. You won't find... her."

Sydney preferred not to notice the hesitation before the pronoun. "Lyle, despite what you think, I'm not your enemy. You know, I feel rather alone here, at the Centre. I've never been close to your father; I prefer not to talk to Raines, and Broots... well, he's kind but..."

"Are you looking for a friend, Sydney?" Lyle asked in a soft voice.

It wasn't his usual sarcastic tone and Sydney pushed again, "I'm looking for someone to talk with. Oh, forget it, Lyle, I speak nonsense."

"No!" Lyle exclaimed. "I mean, I'm. I'd appreciate having a friend too."

Sydney smiled at him, "More coffee?"

Lyle nodded and this time, Sydney frankly stroked Lyle's hand while giving the younger man the mug. Lyle's gaze brushed on their hands, but he didn't comment.

"So," Sydney smiled, "I'm the one that you fell for!"

For the very first time, Sydney saw that Lyle was totally unsettled. He seemed to have lost the ability to think quickly and clearly and was only able to whisper, "How the Hell did you guess?"

Sydney smiled to him, "I'm a shrink, you know. I'm used observing people, especially if I have some interest in them."

Lyle didn't miss the allusion, "And you've got an interest in me?" He seemed incredulous.

"Yes I have," Sydney simply replied. But his heart was pounding in his chest and he sent a mute prayer to every god that could hear him for a bit of help.

Lyle was in shock, and shook his head in disbelief, "I can't believe it! I always thought, you were married, you never..."

"Neither do you," Sydney answered, sitting down in his armchair. "Lyle, you and I know very well that we have to be very discreet."

"To be discreet for what?" Lyle asked.

Sydney smiled and bending over, quickly brushed his lips against Lyle's. He had just intended to tease Lyle, to give him some proof he didn't lie to make the other man confident. He hadn't expected Lyle to respond. The reaction was immediate as Lyle wrapped his arms around Sydney's neck and pulled him closer, his mouth playing against Sydney's, who resigned to inevitable. He slightly parted his lips, hoping that he wasn't going to gasp in repulse, as Lyle's questing tongue slid between his lips. But nothing happened, and he responded as gently as he could to Lyle's soft tongue that was stroking his, exploring his mouth, as the younger man's hands slid into his hair.

'God, he looks so needy,' Sydney thought, hugging the other man back and responding to his kiss. It wasn't that disagreeable, he noticed honestly. It was rougher than kissing a woman, but Lyle wasn't brutal; he was even unexpectedly kind and gentle. He let Lyle kiss him for a while, before pulling away, feigning being overwhelmed. "God, Lyle, if you don't stop, I won't be responsible for my actions!"

And for the very first time, he saw Lyle having a genuine smile. "I like that," he whispered, kissing Sydney's cheek. "I'd like more!"

'You won't have it that soon,' Sydney thought. 'I'm ready to do a lot of things to help Jarod, but not fuck you.'

A shrink, Sydney knew more than ordinary people about gay love, but he felt unsettled face to Lyle's behavior. It was like Lyle dropped the mask during their encounters. Lyle used to wear a mask since he had returned to the Centre. With his father and sister, he was charming, playing the brother who wanted to be part of the family. With Sydney, he was courteous and professional. The psychopath seemed to have disappeared. Sydney wasn't fooled by this behavior. He knew that Lyle was still deeply mentally disturbed; he remembered too well what had happened to the mysterious young Asian woman Lyle had married for a very short time before murdering her.

When they met outside the Centre, Lyle changed completely. They often spent evenings together, at Sydney or Lyle's place, chatting, watching television. Sydney was tense at each meeting, hoping that Lyle wouldn't have more than kisses. Thanks god, he seemed to be satisfied with only a flirt.

Sydney was left one evening in Lyle's private office, in his apartment, while Lyle was answering a phone call. He made sure the younger man was busy and quickly checked the desk, more by habit than because he was really looking for something. He found Lyle's agenda and frowned when he saw regular visits to a Dr. McKee practice. He knew McKee for a few years; she was a charming psychiatrist. A charming Asian psychiatrist.

Sydney jumped when Lyle's voice caught him in the middle of his thoughts. "What the Hell are you doing?" Lyle seemed furious.

"I'm wondering why you see a shrink, and why she's an Asian," Sydney replied calmly.

Lyle had a bitter laugh. "You think I'm going to murder her?"

"I know her. She's a kind girl. Why do you see her, Lyle?"

Lyle had the most unexpected response, "Because I'm ill, Sydney. Really ill. Even if now I'm better, it will take me more time to be totally healed."

So Lyle was aware of his problems, Sydney thought. That was important. Someone who was aware of his illness was someone close to the path of healing.

"Why her?" he asked.

"The fact that she's an Asian is a coincidence," Lyle answered. "I picked her name in the phone book, asked a rendezvous. She's wearing an English name, how could have I known she was Asian?"

When Lyle had come back to the Centre, after having nearly died in the desert, he was decided to change. But his old demons had fought hard to come back to life, and Lyle had been very close to commit a second murder. He was dating a pretty girl, and one night he had begun to beat her hard. Fortunately, the girl was practicing martial arts, and had managed to escape after having given to Lyle a rough correction.

"Then she offered me a deal," Lyle told. "I could see a shrink or she would sue me. I really wanted to change, Sydney. I began to see a shrink."

"Why didn't you talk to me?"

"I needed someone for whom I had no feelings, something foreign to my life," Lyle explained, not without logic.

The first rendezvous have been the worst. Lyle couldn't talk about his problems without talking about the Centre, Raines, his father, Bowman. The young shrink had suddenly asked him if he had ever deal with the yakuzas. She was pointing to his left hand. Lyle had nodded.

"I know that," she had said, showing her own right hand. The little finger was missing. "That's the price I paid when I decided to leave my family. A very little price for freedom."

That had been the starting point. Lyle had told her his whole life, murders included. She hadn't judged him.

"She said that I'm on the good way," Lyle concluded. "She said I only had bad influences. But I will be healed one day, Sydney. I'm working hard for that."

"Why didn't you ask for help from your family?"

"My family?" Lyle laughed. "Come on, Sydney! My family doesn't care about me. Lucy thinks I should leave the Centre, my family, and the east coast. And I think she's right."

Sydney didn't reply. For the very first time, he began to see Lyle on another light, and to wonder if he knew him so well, after all.

*=*=*=*=*=*

Sydney was so tensed he was afraid Lyle felt it. They were kissing for a long time, sprawled on Lyle's huge bed, and now Lyle's mouth was on his neck, nuzzling, tickling and teasing. Sydney felt like he should return the caress so he gently nuzzled Lyle's neck as his hands stroked the other man's back. Lyle suddenly found a very sensitive point and Sydney, to his big surprise, felt his member react, and couldn't retrieve a moan.

"Like it?" Lyle asked in an amused tone.

"Er, yes," Sydney whispered, aware that he had a stirring erection in his pants. It surprised him. Since the beginning, he was pretending and his sudden reaction stunned him. But when Lyle went back to his kissing while his hips slowly rubbed against Sydney's, the psychiatrist couldn't help but moan again. He felt soft warmth going through his tense body and he relaxed. He was lazily aroused and he didn't want it to end. After all, he said to himself, this would prove to Lyle he wasn't lying about his feelings. But when he felt Lyle's hand on his fly, he started.

"Stop it!" he ordered, pulling away.

"Don't worry, Sydney," Lyle responded, pulling him close again, nuzzling his neck. "I know you're not ready."

It was hard to fight back against Lyle's questing hand and Sydney gave up. Lyle opened his fly, and slid a questing hand into Sydney's boxers. At the first touch of Lyle's hand on his bare cock, Sydney missed a breath. His member was painfully hard, and when Lyle took hand of him, he thrust against it, rolling on his back to give the other man more space. Lyle's fingers gently fondled his balls before returning their attention to his hard shaft, his thumb teasing the tip of the cock until Sydney came with a cry of pleasure, his whole body spasming, his hips thrusting desperately against Lyle's hand.

When Sydney opened his eyes again, he saw Lyle retying his clothes before lying down beside him.

"It seems you liked it," Lyle whispered, licking his fingers coated with Sydney's cum. Sydney's gaze lowered and he saw the bulge in Lyle's pants. He tentatively put his hand on the other man's crotch, but soon Lyle's hand covered his.

"No," he whispered. "I didn't do it waiting for a return."

"I know," Sydney replied, "but I want to do it."

He could see the temptation in Lyle's hazel eyes and he kissed him while opening the younger man's fly. His mouth played on Lyle's as he slid his hand under the boxer waistband. It was a new sensation to touch another man's cock. Sydney hesitated a bit; it had seemed so easy when it was Lyle who was stroking him, now he felt clumsy.

"It'd be easier if you move a bit," he said, pulling Lyle against him until the younger man's back rested against his chest.

Lyle relaxed in the embrace, and Sydney, not really knowing how to proceed, monitored his moves after Lyle's face. He gently pumped on the younger man's hard shaft, trying to remember how he used to proceed when he was stroking himself. He found a kind of rhythm, tightening his grip on Lyle's cock, giving him long strokes that made the other man moan. Lyle opened his eyes and their gazes met, and Sydney lost himself in the other man's eyes. Lyle came, exploding in the other man's fist, with Sydney's name on his lips. Sydney had a weird feeling when he heard his name, he began to think that Lyle was really in love with him, after all, and this was disturbing.

Sydney quickly cleansed Lyle's stomach with a handful of tissues. When he looked again at Lyle, he was surprised by his smile. Lyle looked younger and almost innocent when he smiled like that, not the usual calculating expression, but something genuine. Sydney, for the very first time, felt the urge to kiss him and he leaned down, brushing his lips against Lyle's, teasing the firm mouth of the man who was now his lover with his tongue, then exploring the moist cavern slowly. He took his time, holding Lyle, slowly rubbing his body against the other man's, stroking his lover's dark hair.

When he eventually broke the kiss, Lyle smiled again, "Kiss me again like that, and I'll be a happy man!"

Sydney smiled and kissed him again. The phone made them both start. Lyle answered it and listened for a moment before swearing and hanging up, muttering some words to the caller before slamming the phone on the table.

"I hate that guy!" he muttered.

"Who?" Sydney asked, wanting to hold him.

Lyle gently pushed him away, "Not time for that, Syd. Raines told me he had located Jarod. He wants me to go to Atlanta now."

Sydney breathed and used the few pounds he owed Lyle to pin him down on the bed. "And what if I keep you prisoner?" he asked in a light tone.

Lyle had a pensive smile and locked his gaze at Sydney's. "Do you want me to stay, for real, or do you want to impeach me to capture Jarod?"

Sydney's mind worked full speed. Lyle wasn't that naïve, and Sydney knew he couldn't only pretend love was his only motivation to keep Lyle with him. "Both of them, mostly the first," he said, kissing Lyle's lips. "And that's true I don't really want Jarod back into jail. I mean into the Centre."

Lyle relaxed on the bed. "I know you prefer Jarod to be free."

"Jarod is like a son for me," Sydney admitted. "I was part responsible of the fact he was kept prisoner at the Centre and somewhere I feel guilty."

"That's why you're not that prompt to capture him," Lyle said. "I noticed that."

"Why do you hate him that much?" Sydney asked.

Lyle showed his mutilated hand. "Enough reason?"

"You're enough intelligent to know you were taking a big risk dealing with the yakuzas," Sydney replied. "What happened to you isn't Jarod's fault."

Lyle sighed and admitted, "Maybe."

"You killed his brother," Sydney reminded him.

"He has a gun pointed straight to me. It was only self-defense," Lyle replied, stubborn.

"You had your own sister as a hostage."

Lyle laughed, "Have you ever been in a Jesuit college, Sydney? You're arguing like them!"

"No, I spent my youth watching my parents die in a nazi camp."

Sydney hadn't really meant to say that, and he bit his lower lip. He didn't ask for pity. He had been lucky enough to survive, and sometimes he wondered why. At the beginning he was persuaded he acted for mankind's improvement, now he couldn't lure himself more. He acted exactly like his parents' murderers. He became aware that Lyle was watching him and he shook his head.

Lyle stroked his cheek, "I know you had a hard time when you were younger." He paused. "Okay, I'll send someone to Atlanta. A guy I'm about to fire. He wouldn't find Jarod if the guy was right in front of him."

He dialed a number and spoke a few words, then turned to face Sydney. The older man hugged him and hid a smile. One day or another, Lyle would want to go further and Sydney would have to cooperate. For the first time though, he didn't shiver in horror at the idea.

*=*=*=*=*

Jarod fought against the bonds that restrained him but in vain. The manacles were tightly locked around his wrists, and the two henchmen were seated one at his side, the other one in front of him. He had very little chance to fight them with success or even to free his hands. He had been captured shortly after he left Atlanta and shot. His left shoulder and his arm were only pain. He had barely had time to wrap a tissue around his wound before the Centre's men jumped on him.

Jarod saw very little hope for escaping. This time he was badly trapped. He tried to concentrate on the Centre. Now that he had been out, with a real life, he was more prepared to confront them. All of them. Parker, that bastard, Raines. That only name bought hate in Jarod's usually peaceful heart. And Lyle. Jarod preferred not to think what Lyle was going to do to him. Torture, probably. Lyle was going to hurt him badly. He had never forgiven Jarod for his hand, taking the young man for the only one responsible. Jarod wondered if he shouldn't have killed Lyle in the mountains, when he had his gun straight to Lyle's head. But he had been unable to shoot. No, he didn't regret it. He wanted Lyle into a jail, after a decent trial.

He was so deep into his thoughts, trying to forget the pain that ached in his body, that he needed a few seconds noticing something was wrong. The truck was pitching and the two henchmen looked at each other. The truck was rutally shaken and Jarod had to grip his seat. Suddenly the floor became the ceiling and Jarod fell hard, bumping his shoulder. He groaned in pain and managed to kneel.

He had to do something quickly. It was perhaps his last chance. As one of the henchmen moved to grab his gun, Jarod knocked him out with his feet. The other one was still unconscious from the shock.

The back door was suddenly shot and kicked open, and Jarod tried to grab one of the henchmen's guns, but his bound hands paralyzed him. He gasped when he saw Lyle, gun in hand, just as if his worst nightmare had become true. Jarod thought he only had a few more seconds to live and he held his breath.

"Come!" Lyle ordered. "Or do you really want to end in the Centre dissection room?"

Jarod was too stunned to really react, but he saw that the door was open and Lyle wasn't pointing his gun to him. So he forced himself on his feet, took his bag, and went to exit the truck.

"Freeze!" a voice suddenly rasped.

Jarod stopped and saw Lyle pointing his gun to him. "Kneel!" Miss Parker's brother ordered. Jarod didn't waste time to think; he obeyed. He heard a detonation and turned his head in time to see the henchman hit the floor, a large crimson flower spreading on his chest.

"Come!" Lyle ordered, taking Jarod's bag.

Jarod tried to follow Lyle but as soon as the cold outside hit him, he collapsed, seeking his breath. Lyle stepped back, and helped him on his feet. "Hurry, Jarod," he urged him. "Raines' men are probably yet on the road!"

The pretender made a big effort to walk in the snow, as the wind was slamming him and caught his breath away. He didn't understand why Lyle was acting this way, but he knew that Lyle alone was better than Raines' henchmen.

"My car is just here," Lyle said again. "Hurry!"

The car was indeed a kind of jeep, the kind Rangers used, and Jarod collapsed on the passenger's seat, shivering, a nausea tying his stomach up. Lyle started the engine and rushed on the snowy road, without any consideration for speed limits.

"What happened?" Jarod managed to ask, his teeth chattering.

"I shot out the tires," Lyle explained.

"Why? Where are we going?"

"To a cabin in the mountain," Lyle replied cryptically. Did Jarod dream or Lyle had a mischievous smile on his face? Jarod tried to forget the pain in his arm and deduced that Lyle, with the tortured mind that was his, wanted to replay the scene where he was at Jarod's mercy. Only this time it would Jarod at Lyle's mercy.

'The more I wait,' Jarod thought, 'the weaker I get. If I'm going to do something, I best do something now!' Lyle hadn't buttoned his coat neither his jacket. Jarod could see the gun. He could ask Lyle to stop for something, but it was too dangerous to focus the other man's attention on him. So he suddenly bent over Lyle, slid his hand in the other man's jacket, and grabbed the gun. Less than one second later, the barrel was against Lyle's temple.

"If you shoot," Lyle said without even slowing down, "we're both dead."

Jarod couldn't help but admire the man's composure. "At the next crossroads, I'll tell you where to go," he said with difficulty. He was shivering more and more, and his vision was troubled. He saw stars dancing in front of his eyes. He was about to faint, he thought in horror. The move to grab Lyle's gun had probably re-opened the wound, the ache in his shoulder was nearly unbearable, and sweat was running on his face. The effort he had to make to hold his wounded hand on the gun was too much for him.

Then all faded into a dark shadow.

*=*=*=*=*=*

"Back from the dead?" Lyle's mocking voice asked him as Jarod regained conscious. The pretender blinked a few times and adjusted his vision. He was still in the truck, his hands bound, and the gun gone, of course. This time, Lyle's jacket was buttoned. And Jarod noticed Lyle had put a warm cover on him. It surprised him.

"You surprised me, Jarod," Lyle said again, his eyes locked on the road. "I didn't think you would have enough energy to fight!"

"It was," Jarod whispered with difficulty, "a life or death trick."

"You lost," Lyle replied.

"I didn't get to say my last word," Jarod replied. "Why didn't you have Raines' henchmen bring me back to the Centre?"

"That's none of your business," Lyle answered in a light tone.

Jarod was close to fainting again. He fought hard to keep his eyes open, even if he would have preferred to slide into unconsciousness. Cold and fever prevented him to do so, but he felt so bad he couldn't help but moan.

"Are you alright, Jarod?" Lyle asked him.

"Just dying," Jarod replied. "So you working solo again?"

"Something like that," Lyle replied. Without releasing the wheel, he handed him a flask, "Take a sip or two, you'll feel better."

Jarod would have like to refuse but he felt too bad to be proud. He took the little bottle and swallowed a few of the alcohol, coughing. He felt delightful warmth going through his body and snuggled under the cover.

"Need to keep you awake, Jarod," Lyle said, his eyes locked again on the road. "We're almost done."

Jarod gave up. He tried to warm up a bit, making himself comfortable against the seat and the car door, trying to forget the pain in his shoulder.

It seemed to him it was hours but the clock indicated to him it had been only fifty minutes when Lyle took a little road that ended in front of a luxurious cabin. Jarod wondered if it was one of the Centre's, but Lyle told him it was his own. The young man helped Jarod to get out of the car. Jarod had presumed of his forces and he fell heavily on the snowed ground, biting back a cry of pain as the shock in his knees echoed in his shoulder.

He fought to catch his breath, his face buried in Lyle's chest, part of his mind awaiting for a sarcasm, but the other man only hurried him to get on his feet.

"Come on, Jarod, even if I really enjoy having you on your knees, you're going to get a cold. Get up!"

Jarod took on himself to get on his feet, but only to lean against Lyle, his body refusing to move. Lyle sighed and held him. "You must move, Jarod, or you're going to freeze. Come on, it's only a few steps!"

Jarod breathed deeply, fighting back his growing nausea, and let Lyle guide him into the cabin. Delightful warmth welcomed them as they entered the house. Lyle had probably programmed the house by a phone call, and Jarod mentally thanked the technology. All is wanted now was to sprawl on a bed and sleep. But Lyle didn't let him do so.

He helped Jarod undress with gentle moves that surprised the hurt man. Jarod thought cynically that Lyle wasn't that kind without any reason. He was too weak to protest or to stand on his dignity. Lyle stripped him until his boxers, and helped him to slid between fresh sheets in one of the bedrooms. Jarod closed his eyes but Lyle shook him without roughness.

"Don't fall asleep," he ordered. Jarod heard him unpacking something on the nightstand and turned his head.

He saw a first aid medical kit and caught a glimpse of something made of metal. He distinctly saw a scalpel and swallowed. So that was that. He should have known Lyle would like to avenge this way, using medical tools to hurt him. He saw Lyle putting on surgical gloves and handing the scalpel. Jarod again forgot his pride, "Please don't do that," he begged in a whisper.

"Don't be childish, Jarod," Lyle replied. "It's going to hurt, but we both know I can't do it any other way."

Jarod's body tensed and he closed his eyes, waiting for the pain. He wondered where Lyle was going to mutilate him with the scalpel. A first hint of pain in his shoulder gave him the response. He bit his lower lip. Pain grew up as Lyle used the scalpel and some other tools Jarod preferred not to look at.

"Here it is," Lyle suddenly said, showing something caught into a surgical pliers. "You wouldn't have want it stay forever in your arm, would you?"

Jarod blinked and looked at the sliver of metal. He didn't understand what Lyle was doing. He saw the other man moving beside him and caught the glimpse of the scalpel dangerously close to his hips. His heart missed a beat when Lyle showed his armed hand toward him.

"No!" Jarod screamed, catching Lyle's wrist between his bound hands.

Lyle frowned and suddenly burst into laugher. "So I do have the power to scare you, Jarod," he exclaimed. "I like that!" He laughed again then slid from Jarod's grip. "Don't worry, macho man, it's not your privates that interest me. I only wanted to cover you. It's pretty cold here for a man who's running a fever."

He pulled the covers over Jarod's body, leaving only his hurt shoulder uncovered. Jarod sighed in relief. Lyle was giving him a respite.

"What kind of stitch?" Lyle asked again, holding two little packets under Jarod's nose. But Jarod closed his eyes. Lyle shook his good shoulder, "Jarod, out of the two of us, you're the one that has a medical training," he reminded him. "I need you to stay awake and guide me."

Jarod kept his eyes open and told Lyle what kind of stitches to use. Lyle ended his work and took a few painkillers from a little bottle. He poured a glass of water, and gently helped Jarod to swallow the pills and water.

"My hands," Jarod whispered, yet on the edge of sleep.

"I'll take care of that. For now, sleep," Lyle promised.

Jarod would have wanted to ask more, but the painkiller acted quickly and he lost his battle against sleep. A few minutes later, his quiet breath was the only sound in the bedroom.

When he woke up again, he still had an ache in his shoulder, but it was easily bearable. He felt good and opened his eyes. He wouldn't have been surprised to find Mr Parker at the foot of his bed, but instead, he saw Lyle seated in an armchair, a book on his lap, half asleep.

"What time is it?" Jarod asked in a low voice.

"Close to midnight," Lyle responded with a yawn. "Sydney won't be long."

"Sydney?" Jarod asked, not understanding.

"I called him after you felt asleep," Lyle told him. "I was about to make some chicken soup. Want some?"

Jarod saw his hands were free and frowned. He didn't understand why Lyle acted so friendly with him. He didn't trust the man.

"I'd love some," he answered, noticing he was hungry.

Lyle brought him a bowl of steamy soup and Jarod ate slowly, looking at the other man, who had resumed his previous reading. But Jarod wanted to talk. It was the first time he could actually chat with Lyle, and his new behavior didn't reassure Jarod.

"Why did you help me to escape from Raines' claws?" he asked, finishing his soup.

Lyle sighed and put his book on the table. "Do you do something else in life than asking questions?" he asked. "Sydney will arrive very soon. Until then, you're hurt, it's snowing outside, so the best thing to do is staying in this bed."

"I need to go to the bathroom," Jarod said. "And I'd like to take a shower."

"Go for it," Lyle told, taking again his book. "If you don't feel well, call me."

Jarod got up more easily than he had thought, and grabbed his bag.

"If you want some clothes, it's fine; if you're looking for your knife, I took it," Lyle smiled to him.

Jarod only took a bunch of clean clothes without replying and hurried to the bathroom. He relaxed a few minutes later under the jet of hot water, dried himself quickly, and put on a pair of jeans. He felt better. He came back to the bedroom to find Lyle with a gun in hand.

"A car," the other man briefly explained. "I hope it's Sydney. Stay here."

Jarod nodded and soon heard Sydney's voice, and Miss Parker's.

"Where's he?" she asked coldly. "And why do you help him?"

"He's in the bedroom and it's none of your business," Lyle replied in the same tone. "I don't remember having invited you."

"She heard our phone call, Lyle," Sydney explained. "She threatened me to I bring her here."

Miss Parker stormed into the bedroom and stopped when she saw Jarod. "Hello, Jarod," she whispered in the sexy low voice she used to talk to him.

"Parker," he replied soberly. He noticed her appreciating gaze on his naked torso and hid a smile. Miss Parker seemed to be healed from Gates' death.

She had half a smile and asked more gently, gesturing to his shoulder, "Hurt?"

"Not at all. Why are you here?"

"Lyle told Sydney you were hurt. I was worrying," Miss Parker explained in an unusual soft tone. "I heard Raines saying you were badly hurt."

"That's what his henchmen thought as my wound was bleeding profusely. I let them believe I was dying, so they didn't chain me too much," Jarod explained.

She gave a little laugh. "Genius once, always genius."

Sydney entered the room and smiled at Jarod. "Let me see that wound," he asked, carefully removing the bandage. He looked at it and smiled again, "Lyle did a good job," he commented while replacing the bandage.

Lyle smiled, "Jarod guided me."

Jarod frowned, feeling a connection between them.

"Can someone tell me what this is all about?"

Sydney smiled reassuringly, "It's about your freedom, Jarod. I convinced Lyle that you deserve to be free."

"And you trust him?" Jarod asked with doubt.

Sydney sighed, "I can't tell you the whole story, Jarod, but it's nothing about you. Lyle and I work together from now."

"Sydney, let me tell you you're crazier than I thought," Jarod replied.

Miss Parker frowned and looked at her brother, "I'm not sure I understand," she said. "I thought you were working hand in hand with Raines!"

Lyle laughed, "Hand in hand," he repeated. "You're disgusting, Parker."

"You didn't answer my question," Miss Parker snapped.

"Why should I? Look, it's past midnight. I suggest we all take some rest. We'll talk tomorrow morning. Nobody followed you?"

"Nobody," Sydney assured. "I only told Broots where I went. I trust him."

Lyle had a doubtful expression but didn't comment. "We should let Jarod take some rest," he repeated, before exiting the room.

Jarod stopped Sydney, "I want to know, Sydney," he said in a firm voice. "Am I a prisoner?"

"No you aren't," Sydney replied. "You're free. But I ask you, as a friend, not to try to go away in that storm. Tomorrow we'll find a way to drive you away from here."

"And Lyle?"

"Don't worry about him."

Jarod's mind was a bunch of questions and he shook his head, worrying. He didn't trust Lyle, and his kindness made him being more doubtful as ever. He suddenly noticed that Miss Parker hadn't left. Her expression was soft.

"What?" he asked.

"I worried," she whispered, coming so close to him he could feel her heat. "I wouldn't have been able to handle your death."

"You want me alive for the Centre, don't you?" Jarod asked in a bitter tone. "You think I'm the key for your freedom."

Miss Parker shook her head, "I know this has nothing to do with you." She almost shyly put her hand on his good shoulder in a stroking move. She didn't speak a word. Her other hand came on his hairy chest and she brushed against it slowly. "Kiss me, Jarod," she whispered.

He was surprised by her request but didn't push her away. He bent his head and brushed his lips against hers, as his mind played at an accelerated rate the memory of his first kiss with her, ever. She parted her lips and sucked his tongue into her mouth, hugging him tightly, pinning her body against his.

He embraced her, running his hand in her hair. His body reacted strongly to hers and his cock hardened. Without breaking the kiss, he pushed her onto the open bed, pinning her on the mattress with his body. His mouth slipped onto her jaw, in her neck as his hands found their path on her breasts. Her own hands were lost on his chest.

"You're so handsome," she whispered, teasing his nipples. "I never noticed before you left the Centre what a hunk you are."

"When you smile," he answered, kissing her lips, "I can lose myself in your eyes."

She smiled at him and he rubbed his nose against her, making her giggle. He kissed her again tenderly, before pulling her jumper over her head and pulled down her pants, leaving her in black lace bra and panties. He unclasped the bra, freeing perk breasts that were calling for his hands. He tormented her nipples with her callused thumbs until she moaned.

When he wanted to tease them with his tongue she disentangled herself with a smile, and unfastened his jeans, pulling them down all the way with his boxers. She helped him to kick them away and stared at him.

"Oh God, you're so beautiful!" she whispered, running her hands over his muscled body, bending her head to taste his tanned skin. She felt his hands pulling down her panties and almost jumped when he slid his fingers in her lovebox, brushing her clit. "Jarod!" she exclaimed.

She stayed for a moment without moving, her head on his stomach, her hand teasing his hard member, while Jarod's fingers explored her intimacy, rubbing her clit, brushing her hidden lips until she bucked her hips. She was so wet his fingers slid into her effortless, and she nearly came. But as if he had felt it, Jarod withdrew his hand, and sucked on her nipples.

"You want to kill me," she moaned as wonderful sensations came through her body.

"You're not bad yourself," he whispered.

She had wrapped her hand around his hard shaft and she was pumping lightly, but soon she freed herself and buried her face in his crotch, giving small licks on his cock before swallowing it. Jarod moaned in pleasure then in frustration when she released him. His cock was leaking.

"I want you inside me," she whispered.

He held her and rolled her on her back, positioning himself between her creamy thighs. He entered her slowly, fully tasting the feeling of being inside her. He was close to orgasm and he forced himself to breath slowly. He wanted this to last more and more. He began to thrust, bending his head to catch her lips in a sensual kiss. He heard her moan, and realized he was moaning, too, under the soft strokes of her body against his. Miss Parker wrapped her arms around his neck, as if she wanted him to become one with her. Jarod accelerated his pace, thrusting deep and hard in her, kissing her in a lustful way.

The sensations in his body threatened to overwhelm him and he knew he was about to experience the most wonderful climax of his life. He had very little experience but he didn't need to get technical with Miss Parker; he simply followed his instinct, as if their bodies were made to be together. He felt a shiver of pleasure taking birth in his stomach, his balls tightened, and he exploded deep inside her, shooting his seed in long spurts as an intense orgasm washed over him, leaving him shaking and exhausted. Miss Parker's orgasm sent extra stimulation in his body and he realized he was coming a second time. He cried her name aloud and he nearly collapsed on Miss Parker, breathing heavily, his softening cock still in her.

When he wanted to withdraw, Miss Parker tightened the grip of her legs around him. "Don't leave me," she whispered.

He smiled to her and resumed his thrusting, slowly, gently, giving both of them peaceful sensations of after pleasure.

"You're a wonderful lover, Jarod," Miss Parker whispered as they disentangled their bodies. "I never thought I could like making love with you."

"Neither did I, Parker," he answered, kissing her neck.

They moved on their side, holding each other. Miss Parker snuggled against Jarod, repeating, "Don't leave me!" and he tightened his embrace. He knew what she feared. She was afraid to wake up and find him gone or bathed in a pool of blood, like she had found Thomas Gates a few months ago.

"Don't worry, Parker," he whispered. "I'll stay with you."

*-*-*-*-

Sydney collapsed on the couch but Lyle looked at the locked door with a frown.

"What the Hell is she doing?" he whispered.

"Right now," Sydney replied in an amused tone, "she's probably kissing him so hard that the poor guy had not a chance to breath."

Lyle looked at him with surprise, "You mean she wants to fuck with him?"

Sydney nodded. "Your sister had always a thing for Jarod. She's the one who gave him his first kiss, you know. And while I was driving until here, she really worried about him. Your phone call had reassured me, but Miss Parker had heard Raines saying Jarod was dying."

Lyle shook his head in disbelief. "I'll never understand her."

He sat down on the couch and relaxed against Sydney's chest. "Do Raines or my father suspect me?"

"Not at all," Sydney told him. "They both think you're ill, in your bed, with a cold. I told them you didn't feel well. More, they would never believe that you," He stopped, not very sure that Lyle would like the word 'betray', "that you're now on the other side. They think your hate for Jarod is endless."

Lyle snuggled more against Sydney, his head resting on the older man's chest. "I hated him. Now I don't know. I feel confused. I watched all the videos of the simulations you gave me. Even if my conscience is somewhat flexible, some of them made me feel a bit uncomfortable."

Sydney didn't say anything but wondered when Lyle had changed that much. Was it possible that what they shared was the cause? "You'll let him go?" Sydney asked.

Lyle sighed, "I guess yes. I know you won't be pleased if I don't do so."

Sydney smiled and kissed Lyle's head. The other man caught his lips for a kiss but soon Sydney pulled him away as Lyle's hand massaged his crotch. "Not here," he said. "In the other bedroom."

"Come on, Syd," Lyle protested. "I don't want to move, and here is fine for a bit of groping."

"And what if I want more?" Sydney asked.

There was a silence as Lyle looked at him. "So you're ready for more, Sydney?"

The older man nodded. Lyle bent over and kissed him deeply but when Sydney tried to hug him, he pulled him away.

"Sydney, let me tell you that you deserve the devotion award, really," Lyle finally said with a cynical smile. "To be ready to let me fuck with you to save Jarod is really of a great devotion."

"What do you mean?" Sydney asked, a bit tense. "You and I have nothing to do with Jarod!"

"I know the whole truth, Sydney," Lyle said with a bitter smile. "I always thought that sudden attraction to me was rather strange from you. I don't speak about the fact we're both men. You hated me and suddenly you loved me. I'm not that stupid, Syd. Each time Jarod had been threatened, you gave me a little more. Now Jarod is really threatened you're ready for the supreme sacrifice." Did Sydney dream or was Lyle's voice shaking? "Don't worry about him, Syd. He'll be free. You don't need to prostitute yourself for that!"

Lyle got on his feet and walked towards the door, opening it calmly. He made a few steps outside, despite the freezing cold. The snow had stopped to fall but the air was icy. Sydney followed the younger man.

"No!" Lyle exclaimed. "I don't want to hear other lies. I understood when you told Jarod he hadn't to worry about me. I suspected something since the beginning, but at that precise moment, I understood the truth."

"You're right," Sydney admitted. "At first, I did that by pure interest." He told Lyle about the photos in his desk, about the fact at the beginning he had pretended to be in love with Lyle. Sydney was a few steps back from Lyle so he couldn't see his face but he was surprised when he caught his move to wipe his eyes. Lyle was crying because of him?

"Lyle," he began.

"Stop it, Sydney," Lyle told him. "Leave me alone."

Sydney moved to enter the cabin again, then changed his mind. He realized that he cared a lot more for Lyle than he thought. It wasn't love, he told to himself, but it was very close to.

"No, I won't leave you," he said in his calm voice. "I don't pretend I love you, Lyle, because I don't know if I do or not. Love is something I haven't felt for a while. But I care for you, and you can't deny I'm attracted to you. A woman can easily pretend she's aroused, we both know a man can't." He put his hands on Lyle's shoulders and gently said, "Don't stay in the cold, Lyle. Come with me in and we'll talk."

Lyle faced him and Sydney could see there were tears in his eyes. The younger man followed him in the warmth of the house and sat down on the couch, arms crossed on his chest, in a defensive posture. Sydney didn't know what to do. His mind was in turmoil. He was about to say something when they heard loud moans coming from Jarod's bedroom. Sydney would have liked to stay impassive but he laughed, and Lyle, after trying to keep his composure, laughed, too. It eased the atmosphere.

"Your sister seems to be enjoying herself," Sydney said.

"I'm glad she is," Lyle answered. "I was worried about her after Gates' death."

Sydney suddenly knew what to do. He sat beside Lyle and took the other man's hands in his. "Listen to me, Lyle. It's true that at first I lied. Then you changed. Weeks ago you wouldn't have done that, I mean, help Jarod like you did. You hated him. And this evening you saved his life, you took care of him. You've changed, Lyle. And I think that I like the new Lyle. I won't lie again and tell you that I love you more than I ever loved somebody. But I care for you; I've a growing up affection for you. I really wanted to make love with you; I wasn't pretending." He kissed Lyle on the lips. "I'm not pretending," he whispered, rubbing his body against the younger man's.

"I'm weak," Lyle whispered, holding him. "I'd like to tell you to go to Hell, but I want you too badly."

He got on his feet and headed to the bedroom. "I hope we'll be more silent than my sister," he smiled.

"I'm usually not a screamer," Sydney replied, following him.

"I am," Lyle confided with a grin.

*=*=*=*=*

"No!" Miss Parker exclaimed as Jarod was grabbing a tee shirt. "I want to sleep in your arms. and I want you to stay like that."

"Parker, you're turning into a pervert," Jarod smiled, sliding back under the covers. He held the young woman in his arms and she rested her head on his chest, her fingertips playing with the fur on Jarod's chest.

"You're turning me into a pervert," Miss Parker replied. She sighed and suddenly bit her lip, "Be careful, Jarod. I don't trust Lyle at all. I don't know why he is acting like that, but he surely has a plan."

"I don't trust him either," Jarod reassured her. "But I think Sydney is in control." He told the young woman how Lyle had been kind and gentle with him. "It really scared me," he concluded with a grin. "I was used to a psychopath, and he acted like Sydney or Broots would have."

"Lyle had changed," Miss Parker noticed in a dreamy voice. "For a few weeks, he acted in a weird way. He's often with Sydney now, and not with Brigitte and Raines. I don't like that at all. Lyle is able to turn Sydney against you."

"I trust Sydney, I always have," Jarod answered. "He's the father I never knew."

"So Lyle is mad."

"It's not something new."

*=*=*=*=*

Lyle was mad, indeed, and Sydney was the only reason. For a man that had never make love with another man, Sydney knew pretty well how to turn him on. As soon as the older man had closed the bedroom door, he held Lyle and kissed him deeply, before pulling his black jumper over his head. Lyle's tee shirt followed and Sydney pushed him on the bed. His cock was hard and he wanted the younger man so badly he thought he was going to come in his pants. Lyle surprised him. He knelt on the bed and began to undress Sydney with feverish moves, kissing him, his whole body shaking.

'God,' Sydney thought like the first time they had kissed, 'he looks so needy!'

In less than a minute, they were both naked and embraced on the bed. Sydney had kind of feared Lyle's gaze on his body, even if he knew he was in very good shape. But Lyle's gaze was hungry and he seemed to like what he saw. His ran hands hungrily along Sydney's body and his mouth followed. His hard cock was leaking under the older man's fingers and they both knew they couldn't last much longer.

"Make me yours," Lyle whispered.

Sydney was surprised but he didn't say anything. He had thought that Lyle would have like to be the top. He hadn't yet decided if he was aroused or a bit frightened at the idea of being filled but now Lyle was giving him the lead, he realized he was relieved.

He put two pillows under Lyle's hips and grabbed the tube of lube the younger man handed him. Sydney's heart was beating hard in his chest when he coated his cock at the sight of the muscled ass cheeks that were begging for attention. He remembered having read that usually there was a kind of stretching before the act itself, and he whispered, "Do you want me to prepare you?"

Lyle hesitated then shook his head. Sydney didn't insist, the urge in his balls was too important to be ignored. He slid behind Lyle, and parted his asscheeks. He felt Lyle tense and he gently ran circles on Lyle's skin, before pushing the tip of his cock against the younger man's puckered opening. He pushed more, and the ring of muscles parted to allow him entrance. Lyle had a moan of pain and Sydney stopped.

"Do it," Lyle moaned. "I want you."

Sydney thrust deeper slowly until he was buried to the root. He stopped then, letting time to Lyle to adjust to him, and thrust again, grabbing Lyle's cock and pumping. This time, Lyle's moans were of pleasure and he bucked his hips against Sydney's, his fists clenching and unclenching on the sheet.

"Sydney!" he exclaimed as he was at the edge of orgasm.

'He didn't lie,' Sydney thought with amusement as the pleasure was built up in him, 'he's really a screamer. Oh God, I like that!'

*=*=*=*=*=*

Miss Parker woke up with a feeling of discomfort and realized that the inside of her thighs was all sticky from her previous lovemaking. A bit disoriented, it took her a few moments to realize that she was in Jarod's arms, her head on his muscled chest. She smiled before disentangling her body from Jarod's embrace. The pretender barely opened an eye, whispered in a hoarse voice, "What's happened?"

"I need to go to the bathroom," Miss Parker whispered, not resisting to the urge to kiss him. He responded to her kiss and Miss Parker felt so good she wanted to stay with him forever. 'I won't let you escape' she swore to herself. She got on her feet and shivered in the cold air.

Jarod tossed her his tee shirt, grinning, "Put that on, Parker. Your brother or Sydney should be asleep on the couch."

Miss Parker smiled and dressed herself, heading to the main room. She found neither Sydney nor Lyle on the couch but she was too busy with her own thoughts to really pay attention. She hurried to the bathroom, quickly cleansed herself, and was on the way of the bedroom when she heard a moan and Lyle exclaiming "Sydney!"

Miss Parker started and stopped. What the Hell were Sydney and Lyle doing? She didn't like Lyle at all, but she didn't want him hurt, even by Sydney. Tiptoeing, she opened the other bedroom's door and her jaw dropped open at the sight. She blinked, her brain not accepting what her eyes told it. Her very first thought was that Sydney, for a man of his age, was still in a beautiful shape. 'I never thought he could have such a beautiful body. And he's really well endowed!'

But then her concern for her brother made her frown. Even if Lyle was a bastard, that didn't give Sydney any right to force him. But Lyle, his eyes closed, suddenly said, "More Sydney! More!" she understood he was enjoying himself.

She stepped back in silence, closing the door, and stayed in front of the fireplace, chewing her lower lip. Sydney and Lyle, lovers! This was incredible! But it explained why Lyle had changed so much for a few weeks, why he helped Jarod and why she liked him a bit more. Sighing, she went back to her bedroom and snuggled in Jarod's embrace.

'If Dad knew that!' she thought with a silent laugh, wondering how Mr Parker would take that his beloved daughter was Jarod's lover and his son, Sydney's!

*=*=*=*=*=*

"Sydney!" Lyle screamed as the older man came deep in him. The feeling of Sydney's hot come in his ass made Lyle thrusting hard against his lover's hand until he came at his turn, sending his load on his stomach and on Sydney's hand. Sydney collapsed on Lyle's back, panting. He hadn't come like that for years. He withdrew and lay down on the mattress, catching his breath. Lyle stayed on his stomach, stretching a hand to stroke his lover's chest.

"Tell me it wasn't a dream," he whispered, a happy smiled on his lips.

Sydney laughed and held him. "If it's a dream, I don't want to wake up!"

*=*=*=*=*

The next morning

Jarod woke up with a start and frowned. Something had wakened him up and it was a noise. He gently pushed Miss Parker away, covering her with the sheet, and grabbed his jeans and tee shirt. He quickly dressed up, happy to see that his shoulder wasn't hurting anymore. He went to the main room, and looked through the window. A car was coming slowly and Jarod was sure he knew it. 'The Centre!' he thought in panic. He needed a gun. He needed to escape. He needed Miss Parker.

Jarod looked in the main room but Lyle should have taken his gun. Jarod sighed and hurried to the other bedroom, opening the door silently. He forgot the car outside and the potential menace when he saw Lyle, naked to the waist, resting peacefully in Sydney's arms. Even if Sydney was clad in a grey tee shirt, the disorder of the bedroom clearly showed what happened. 'That's how Sydney knew Lyle would help me' Jarod understood. He saw Lyle blinking and opening his eyes.

"A car's coming," Jarod whispered. "Take your gun." Lyle nodded and Jarod left, still under shock. Less than a minute later Lyle was in the main room, gun in hand. Jarod suddenly noticed how Lyle was good looking when he gave up his impeccable suits and ties. Only clad in a black tee shirt and a faded jeans, his hair mussed and unshaved, he looked pretty gorgeous.

"Where is it?" he asked.

Jarod headed to the window. "There."

"I'm sure I know this car," Lyle said. "Two people aboard," he noticed.

"Not an impossible deal."

"I thought Broots was the only one to know," Jarod said.

Lyle shrugged and didn't reply. They both stayed beside the window.

"How's your shoulder?" Lyle asked.

"Fine, thanks to you. Thank you, by the way," Jarod replied, his gaze locked on the car. "I don't know why you were so caring, but I appreciate it."

Lyle was about to reply when the car stopped in front of the cabin and a man jumped on the ground.

"Broots!" they both exclaimed.

A young girl joined him. "Debbie," a voice said behind them. "His daughter."

Miss Parker opened the door and let Broots and Debbie coming in. "What are you doing here?" she asked coldly.

Broots looked both at Lyle and Jarod, then at Sydney who had just exited the bedroom.

"I came as soon as I could," Broots said with his usual alarmed look. "Oh my God! It's so scary!" He confronted four aback gazes. "You don't know?" he asked. "Oh God!"

"What?" Lyle snapped.

"The Centre, Mr Lyle," Broots said. "had suffered a major explosion!"

Near midnight, Broots' world had collapsed. It had begun with Brigitte, a few hours ago. The young woman had had a terrible fight with Raines, nobody could tell about what. She had headed to the stairs, furious, and she had taken a deadly fall. Broots was just behind her, so he could tell it was really an accident. She had died in his arms, whispering to him, "Take my husband and run away! Run!"

Under the shock, Broots had wondered what Brigitte would mean. Mr Parker had vanished, leaving his office to retreat in his house, visibly very affected. Broots had left at his turn. He had tried to reach Sydney but the snow had cut the communication to the mountains. Broots had left the Centre shortly before midnight. He was driving the way home when he had heard a dreadful explosion. A large part of the Centre had been destroyed in a few seconds, collapsing like a house of cards. Broots had stopped on the road, not believing his eyes.

"Mr Raines is dead," Broots concluded. "That's for sure, rescue teams had found his body. Your father is safe, Miss Parker, as well as Angelo. But the most amazing, the fight between Raines and Brigitte was probably about the Triumvirate, they said. Rumors said that they have all been killed!

"They were in the Centre, and somebody had dropped a bomb in the level they were in." Jarod and Miss Parker looked both at Sydney and Lyle. But Sydney shook his head, "I know I've got past for bombing the Centre, but this time it's not me."

"I'm not into bombing," Lyle replied. "And despite what you think, Parker, I wouldn't have let a bomb in a place where my own father and stepmother were."

"Brigitte, perhaps," Jarod said. "She knew about the bomb, as she told Broots to take her husband away."

"We'll never knew," Sydney noticed. "But we know for sure that the Centre will be disorganized for a while. And that Raines and probably some of the Triumvirate are dead."

They stayed silent for a while then Lyle said, getting up, "I don't know for you, but personally, I'm going to pack my things and leave."

"And Dad?" Miss Parker asked with reproach. "Don't you worry about him?"

Lyle sighed, "Parker, a man who asked me to call him Sir rather than Father is someone I don't really care about. And you should think how he acted when you wanted to leave with Gates." And suddenly Lyle seemed terribly embarrassed, and added in a low tone, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that."

Miss Parker jumped on her feet and grabbed Lyle by the collar of his tee shirt. "Tell me what you know about Thomas' death!" she exclaimed.

Lyle put his hands on hers and lowered his eyes. "Raines asked Brigitte to kill Thomas. He wanted you to stay. You knew too much about the Centre to leave, and you're a potential hostage if our father wants to disobey. Brigitte hired a man to kill Thomas. Our father learnt about it, before it was too late. But he didn't do a thing to save Thomas."

"And you?" Miss Parker asked.

"I swear I never knew about that. I learnt it later, by Brigitte. She told me like a good joke. I'm sorry, Parker," Lyle repeated. He looked sincere.

Miss Parker released him, her blue eyes full of tears. Her own father had betrayed her the worst way, letting a man be murdered whose worst crime was to love his daughter. She could at least understand Raines' motives, or even Brigitte, who hated her, but she couldn't understand her father. "Why?" she whispered.

"Because he's selfish," Sydney replied. "He only cares for himself. He saw you were about to leave, and he couldn't bear the fact you'd have a life of your own."

Miss Parker suddenly burst into tears. Jarod made a move to hold her but Sydney stopped him when he saw Lyle take her twin sister in his arms. Miss Parker wrapped her arms around Lyle and cried on his shoulder. "I don't want to see him anymore, never!" she hiccuped.

"You don't have to," Lyle replied, stroking her hair. "Even if you don't like it, Parker, we're family. You and me. Twin bonds are stronger than you think."

Miss Parker didn't reply, but she sank deeper in Lyle's embrace, and stroked her brother's hair. "I regret having called you a psychopath," she whispered.

"No harm done," he replied kindly.

*=*=*=*=*=*

Later, after they all took a solid breakfast, Sydney asked them what they intended to do. "Iım going to leave," Jarod replied first. "As soon as I can." Sydney noticed Miss Parker's tension. Jarod added, wrapping his arm around her shoulders, "And I'm taking you with me, Parker, if you want to come."

"I agree," she answered softly. "I only have a few things I want to take with me."

"And you, Broots?" Sydney asked.

"I can leave, too," the technician replied. "This time the danger was too close. I have the project to build my own enterprise. I just lack the money. But I'm sure I'll find it."

"I'd be interested to invest in a start-up," Lyle intervened. "Where do you plan to go, Broots?"

"San Francisco," Broots replied. "Near the Silicon Valley. Are you serious, Mr Lyle?"

"Yes I am," Lyle replied. "And I think I would like to live in Frisco. What about you, Sydney?"

"California is a paradise for shrinks," Sydney agreed. They exchanged a glance and smiled to each other.

"Hey!" Broots suddenly exclaimed. "What if we all moved to California? Jarod, if someone knows something about computers, it's you."

They looked at the other ones with interrogating gazes. Then Jarod smiled, "I spent three years fleeing you, and now I'm just thinking working with you!"

"Welcome to our happy family," Miss Parker said. "You'll see, we don't bite often!"

*=*=*=*=*

Three months later.

"Angela?" Jarod called when he entered his apartment after an exhausting day at work.

"Here!" she responded, her voice coming from their bedroom. He came to see her dressing in a nice white dress. He held her and kissed her lips. "You're beautiful, Miss Parker, do you know it?" He kissed her again but she withdrew from his hug with a light laugh.

"We're going to be late at the dinner," she said.

Jarod sighed and hurried under the shower. He had liked every day of the three months he had lived with Angela Parker, and he didn't regret his decision to come at San Francisco. Broots' start-up was growing up well and Jarod, for the first time in three years, enjoyed having a job where he could stay more than a few weeks and an actual home.

One hour later, he rang the bell of Lyle's home. Miss Parker's brother had bought a house near their apartment, sharing it with Sydney. In San Francisco, their couple didn't bring the slightest attention.

"Lyle's home?" Miss Parker asked the maid who opened the door.

"Good evening," the maid said. "Mr Bowman is waiting for you."

They entered the main room and found Lyle picking up his cell phone. "Your parents are already at the restaurant," he smiled. "Sydney will join us there."

At the restaurant, Major Charles, Jarod's father, welcomed them warmly. Jarod hugged his father and his mother, Margaret, as he did each time he saw them, which meant every day. Lyle had managed to fetch Jarod's whole file out of the Centre's main computer, which had been partially destroyed during the explosion. After an investigation, Jarod had found his father not that far from the Centre, and his mother in Georgia. The reunion had been a shock for all of them, but now it was like if the dark years had vanished. Jarod had built a loving relationship with his father and mother, and now his parents lived together three houses away from Jarod's apartment. Emily, their daughter, was living with them.

Major Charles and Margaret had welcomed their future stepdaughter, and Miss Parker had learnt that Raines was indeed, responsible for her mother's death, and not Jarod's father, as she had believed it for a while. The young woman had been relieved to learn it. She had liked Major Charles at the first sight, and she loved Jarod too much to cause him the slightest trouble.

"Where's Ryan?" Miss Parker asked.

"We left him at home with Emily," Margaret replied. "Charles offered him a video game today, Tomb Raider. He wants to become an archaeologist, or perhaps just to meet Lara Croft!"

"I understand him," Lyle joked.

"Be careful with what you say," Sydney protested.

Lyle smiled at him then asked Jarod's father, "How is he, now?"

"Fine, really," Major Charles replied. "He integrated into our family pretty well."

Ryan was the name Major Charles and his wife had given to Jarod's clone, that Lyle had brought from the Centre. The young boy, raised by Raines, had been deeply traumatized by the fourteen years spent in the Centre, but now he healed slowly, thanks to the caring love of his new family.

Sydney was chatting cheerfully with Lyle, their hands clasped under the table. He decided the news he had learnt this day could wait, perhaps for a long time. Mr Parker had been cleared during the trial that had followed the Centre's semi destruction. The old veteran had been clever even to avoid big troubles. He had found Sydney's practice and he had phoned him, telling him he wanted Miss Parker's phone number. Sydney had refused. For the first time, Angela Parker was deeply happy, and Mr Parker could only be a major nuisance in her new life. Mr Parker hadn't asked about Lyle. When Sydney had made him notice that, Mr Parker had said that he was sure his son was fine, before asking again about his daughter. Sydney had hung up. Later he would tell to Lyle and Jarod. Both men would take care to protect Miss Parker from her father.

Sydney looked at Lyle. He knew his lover would approve of him. Lyle had taken back his name, Bowman, telling him he preferred to wear the name of the man that had raised him rather than the name of the man that had rejected him. Lyle had now a new psychoanalyst, recommended by his former one, and he was feeling better and better. The shadows of the past were slowly fading. Sydney was now deeply in love with Lyle and this thought still stunned him. But he was happy with the young man and it was all that mattered.

Broots entered the restaurant in late, as usual. He was with his new date. His friends looked at the young woman, curious to see how she looked like, as they never met her. They only knew she was an actress. They all started. Broot's girlfriend was tall, with brown hair and blue eyes, beautiful, and she looked like Miss Parker's twin sister.

"Hi," Broots said to them with a large amused smile, "let me introduce you Andrea. Andrea, here are my friends. Don't worry, they look weird, but we're really one big happy family."

THE END