Title: Son of Shadows

Author: Kate R

Disclaimer: Own nothing and no one used herein. The Rangers belong to Saban, the DS characters belong to Dan Curtis, and I don't know who The Shadow Belongs to but it isn't me.
.
Rating: PG-13 to R-ish (Mild Slash)

Pairings: Jason/Billy eventually. Not sure of any others

Summary: Billy is sent to his real father after his Uncle dies. He finds a place by his father's side. And a love when Jason follows him to Maine

Notes: I picture Ben Cross as Barnabas Collins. You can picture whichever one you want.

 

Son of Shadows
by Kate R

Prologue: Father

William Lamont Cranston stood by his Uncle Hank's bed as the man lay dying. He was trying to be comforting but he was so hurt. Hank had lied to him. He'd asked when he was 8 years old for the truth and Hank had lied to him. 6 years he could have known his father but Hank had not told him the truth. He knew it now though. And he was not afraid of it. After Rita and Goldar and them, finding out his real father was a vampire did nothing to scare him. It was kind of funny when he thought about it. And the truth certainly explained why he needed so little in the way of sleep and why his eyes were so sensitive to light. It also explained why he was so alive at night. Billy lived for the night. His best inventions were made in the hours after sunset.

"They'll take you to him now, Billy," Hank was saying, as his breathing got fainter and fainter. "I know he'll love you. He always would have if I'd had the courage to tell you sooner and sent you to him. Never be afraid of him, Billy. He wouldn't hurt you for anything. He's a good man, vampire or not. And he would see himself dead before he hurt you."

"What's his name?" Billy asked quietly. He was trying not to cry now. He knew it would be soon.

"His name is Barnabas Collins," Hank said. "And you were his Miracle. The arrangements have all been made now. Once I die you will take the train to Collins Port. That's up in Maine so you'll need to wear that Flannel Jason gave you as well as your heavy jeans and hiking boots. Take the leather jacket out of the closet. You will be fine once you get there. He'll take care of you. I know you'll thrive with him, Billy. He'll love you. You'll be safe with him. And so will all of your secrets. Yes, I know all about that. I am so proud of you, my boy. And he will be too. You can tell him. He won't tell anyone. He understands the value and importance of secrets. He might even be able to give your friends a place to rest. Trust him, Billy. Trust him as you no longer trust me. He'll take good care of you."

"Okay, Hank," Billy said as tears slowly slid down his cheeks. "I'll be brave and trust him."

"Good," Hank said. "I'm tired now, Billy. Can I take a nap?"

"Yes," Billy said quietly as he kissed his Uncle goodnight one last time.

He stayed until the monitors all flat-lined and then he slowly made his way out to where his friends were. He collapsed in Jason's arms knowing Jason would take care of him for a few minutes. He had a feeling he wouldn't have a chance after the funeral so he told them all goodbye now. He knew it wouldn't be forever but it would be for a while. Billy sniffled as he hugged them. This would be the last groups hug he was given time to get. He just wanted to be held for a few minutes. Just for a few minutes.

OOO

The train lurched to a stop and Billy jolted awake as the conductor stood over him. "Collins Port," he said. "Your stop."

"Thank you," Billy said as he wrapped the flannel around his shoulders tighter.

He would have to find a phone to call the number for the house to see if someone could come and get him. He was early but he hoped someone was there. He hadn't been given time to get anything like the coat his father told him to take. All he had was the flannel Jason had given him at the train station and he was wearing his jeans and boots. He looked out the window and swallowed. It was snowing. He saw a sign for a place called the Blue Whale once he got off the train and made his way there. Maybe they had a phone he could use.

"Excuse me," he said when he got there. "Can I use your phone? I have to call Collinwood. I'm Billy."

 

Chapter 1: Meeting the Family

Joe Haskell looked next to him at the boy shivering in his passenger seat and silently growled. He was cursing the California Department of Social Services to a fiery end for sending a 14Â-year-old boy to Maine alone and without a coat in February. Barnabas was going to hit the roof when he found out about this. And it was going to be very soon because they were approaching the new house now. He would take Billy there and then ask them to see if Willie could get Barnabas because he wasnt even sure if Barnabas was home tonight. He was hoping he was because he needed to be made aware of how lax Billy's Social Worker had been.

"This is the New House," Joe said as he parked and pulled Billy's bag out of the back of the truck. "I'm bringing you here because I know the heat is on here right now and I don't know if your father is home tonight so I don't want you at the Old House if there is no fire built. He hasn't gotten the electricity installed yet."

"Okay," Billy said.

He was wrapped in Joe's Coat now. As soon as Joe realized he didn't have a coat, he'd given the boy his. That was something that was going to send Barnabas Through the roof. Joe knocked on the door, which was opened by Mrs. Stoddard herself tonight.

"Joe!" She said shocked. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. Just, well, Elizabeth, this is Billy. Barnabas' son. He got here tonight with no coat and just the one bag of California type clothes. He came to the Blue Whale to ask if he could call here to see if anyone could come get him. I figured I'd save Roger or whomever the trip tonight and brought him out here myself. Billy, this is your cousin Elizabeth. Elizabeth, this is Billy Cranston. He's the boy Barnabas was informed about on Sunday. Do you know if he's home tonight? I brought Billy here because I didn't want him in the Old House if there was no one home to build a fire or anything."

"Thank you, Joe. Please, do come in. Billy, I'll send Willie over to see if Barnabas is home yet. Will that be alright?"

"Yes ma'me," Billy said as he followed her in carrying his bag.

Joe had tried to carry it for him but Billy was used to doing for himself.

"Willie," Mrs. Stoddard said as they entered the kitchen.

Willie was visiting his aunt tonight so he was over in the kitchen. "Yes, Mrs. Stoddard?" he asked.

"Can you go and see if Barnabas is home yet? Billy arrived early and he is eager to meet his father."

"Sure," Willie said as he smiled at Billy.

Billy was a tad nervous as he looked at Willie but nodded he would wait. Willie took off out the kitchen door and Billy was soon ensconced in a seat in the kitchen and had a mug of hot chocolate in his hands to warm him up.

"The first thing Barnabas needs to get you, kid, is a coat," Joe said. "I don't know what was wrong with whomever your social worker is, kid but someone needs to straighten her out."

"Thank you for letting me use yours," Billy said as he sat waiting. He was scared to death.

A middle-aged man came in next and looked Billy over. He didn't seem to understand why he was there until Joe spoke.

"Roger, this is Billy. He's just got here from California."

"Oh, Barnabas' kid. Welcome to Collinwood. I'm Roger Collins. The thundering herd coming toward you is my son, David. That is his governess Miss Winters and this is Elizabeth's daughter Carolyn."

"Hi," Billy said softly.

It was obvious to anyone he had not been given time to get himself together for this trip.

"It'll be okay," David said surprising everyone. "Cousin Barnabas is only scary if you make him mad. I know he'll take real good care of you."

"I certainly hope to try, David," Barnabas said from the doorway.

Everyone's heads snapped around except for Billy. Billy was watching him quietly waiting. He was the only one who had been facing the door.

"Are you alright, Billy?" Barnabas asked.

Billy shook his head no mutely. The last two days had been too much on him. Barnabas had no idea what to say so he trusted his instincts. He moved to the boy's side and wrapped him in a hug.

"She didn't let me say goodbye," Billy said as tears leaked from his tightly shut eyes. "She didn't even let me get the coat Uncle Hank wanted me to bring with me. I just wanted to say goodbye to my friends. I just wanted---."

"Shhh," Barnabas soothed as he stroked Billy's hair gently. "It's alright. You're here now. I'll get you a coat and we'll get your things shipped here. And maybe we can have your friends come and visit soon okay?"

"R-really?" Billy asked against his father's chest.

"Really," Barnabas said in a gentle tone. "Everything will be fine now. I'll be with you every night and if you are at the old house I can be with you during the day as well."

"I want you to be you," Billy whispered. "Uncle Hank said my mother fell in love with you as you are now. Not as a human man but as Barnabas Collins the vampire. I want my father. Please?"

"Alright. I'll stop the treatments then. Maybe we can set up a deal with the blood bank or something."

"I can get you some thing," Billy said quietly.

He just clung not wanting his father to change. He wanted the man his mother had loved. That was the man who was holding him now and comforting him the way he needed to be.

"Do you want to stay here tonight?" Barnabas asked. "I can ask Willie to go and set your room up and start a fire there for you if you like or you can stay the night here and come to the Old House Tomorrow."

"I want to stay with you. Please?" Billy asked.

"Of course. We can stay here while Willie gets your room ready and then we'll go the Old house, alright?"

"Okay," Billy said.

Once that was settled, Barnabas shifted Billy so he was in his lap and hugged him tightly. The stool required balancing but that was fine with him. His son needed him. He was aware that the kitchen was cleared out so it was just the two of them and silently blessed them for giving him and his son Privacy.

Billy just laid his head against Barnabas' shoulder and cried a little more. Barnabas soothed him and held him not caring about the time or what tears would do the suit coat he was wearing. His son needed him. That was the only thing that mattered. The rest could wait.



Chapter 2: Billy's Best Friend

It was the next day and Barnabas was sitting with Billy in the living room area. He'd converted the Parlor and had a generator installed in the house while it was being wired properly. He'd learned the night before when Billy had looked at some of the things in the room that his son was a builder. He liked to make things. It was something Barnabas enjoyed watching as Billy had spent the entire time they were talking in his room making things out of old pieces of broken things that were scattered around.

When dawn came they had both crashed out on the bed. It was interesting to wake up there and he knew Willie had checked on them at some point because there was a blanket over them keeping them warm and the fire was still burning warm. Barnabas had not really been sure how it would go the first night but Billy had been holding on to him before he woke up.

When he had he'd seemed embarrassed before he realized Barnabas was not angry. Merely surprised the coldness of his skin had not been a detractor. Billy had said simply it was who Barnabas was. And he liked who Barnabas was so it didn't matter.

Barnabas finally understood Billy was not kidding. He wanted Him as he was, not the man he had been who could go out into the sun but the man he was right now. The man who could share late nights with him while he invented and who was willing to try foods just to see if he liked them. Barnabas was touched.

His head turned to see Sarah's ghost standing in the doorway watching him with a smile. She grinned at Billy and then walked over and hugged her brother.

"I know you love him, Big Brother. I hope he can teach you to love yourself. That is the key to breaking your curse. You have to love yourself. And I know Billy can help you do that."

"I know he can too, Sarah," Barnabas said. "He wants me to stay a vampire."

"Of course he does," Sarah said. "The vampire you is the one that fathered him and he wants his father. You can be that for him. I know you can. I'll be here, watching over you. I'll always be here and I'll always love you. You need to take care of your son now. He needs you to be his father. Not the man obsessed with being human because a human could not have made Billy. He needs his father."

"I will be his father, Sarah," Barnabas said. "Have no fear of that. I am his father."

"Good," she said. "I'm going to go play with David now, okay?"

"Wait until his school work is done," he said automatically.

She grinned and took off. He saw Billy watching him and he saw the small smile Billy gave.

"Thank you," Billy said giving him a hug. "I do you know. Want you as my father."

"Your father I will be then," Barnabas told him. "And if this is what you want as your father, than I will remain thus."

"Not what," Billy said chidingly. "Who. You are Who I want as my father. The condition is a part of who you are. You are not a what. You are not a thing. You are my father. You are Barnabas Collins. You're just Who I want you to be."

"I don't think anyone has ever accepted me as I am before," Barnabas said somewhat stunned.

"That makes two of us then. You know what you did for me last night was the first time a parental figure in my life has ever really hugged me? Thank you."

"You're welcome," Barnabas said as a woman with dark hair came into the house with a medical bag. "No thank you, Julia," Barnabas said as he saw her. "I think I understand now. I don't need to be human to have humanity. I don't need that formula to be a human being."

"But we're so close," she said as she opened the bag. "Just a few more experiments and---."

"I said no thank you," Barnabas said. "I don't need it. I have something more important to do right now than to be a lab rat."

"Barnabas," she said exasperatedly. "What could be more important than you becoming human again and breaking the curse?"

"My son's happiness," he answered shortly. "Now, please, Julia, we're deciding things today so could you kindly just leave us be?"

"Barnabas," she tried again.

"Lady, he said no thank you. At least, I'm pretty sure he did. So, could you kindly get out before I throw your ass out? And believe me, I will. I'm not nearly as Old Worldly as Billy's dad there is."

"Jason!" Billy cried happily.

Barnabas took in his son's obvious joy seeing the young man standing in the doorway and he couldn't help but smile. He watched as Billy hugged Jason so tightly it looked like the bigger boy was having breathing issues.

"Hi," the boy in red said as he managed to extricate his waist from Billy's crushing hug. "I'm Jason. I brought some things Billy didn't have a chance to pack before he came here and well, uhm---."

"They threw you out, didn't they?" Billy asked.

Jason gave a slight nod and Billy looked at Barnabas hopefully.

"Yes," Barnabas said in answer to the question. "He can stay here with us. I think you could use the company during the day. When I am supposed to be sleeping."

"Thank you Dad!" Billy said as he hugged his father the same way he'd just hugged Jason. "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

"You're quite welcome, Billy," Barnabas said. "I'm glad you'll have at least 1 friend here with you. Now, Julia, please excuse us. We're deciding something right now."

With that, he and Billy began to tell Jason of the plans they had made so far. Billy would have a place to invent things and seeing Jason's athletic build; Barnabas had no trouble with turning one of the rooms into a gym for him. The grand dinning room had hardwood floor and a high ceiling. He thought that might be a good room. Jason went to look at it and came back grinning. Oh, yes, that would be the absolute best room for it. Barnabas chuckled thinking they now had another room to decide on things for. He thought he would like this thing called Family. He felt he would like it a lot.



Chapter 3: Kimberly

Willie woke up at around noon to someone knocking on the door. Who would be here now? Dr. Hoffman had been told unequivocally to stay the hell off the property so he knew it wasn't her. He groaned and went to open the door. A petite girl with chestnut brown eyes and hair was standing there.

"Hi!" The girl said cheerfully. "I'm Kimberly. Are Jason and Billy here? I asked up at the other house and they said Billy lived here with his dad and Jason had come about a week ago and was living here too. So, I was just kind of wondering."

"Oh, yeah, they're here. I think they'll be awake soon. Come on in and I'll see if Jason is up. He usually is before Billy and Barnabas are."

"Cool," Kimberly said as she looked around. She didn't go very far because the house was big and she did not want to get lost.

"Hey, Kim," Jason said as he came down. He was wearing sweat pant and socks with a t-shirt.

Kim grinned as she saw him. "Aren't you cold?" She asked.

Jason shrugged. "You get used to it," he told them. "Why are you here?"

"I wanted to come visit you. How are you doing out here?" Kim asked

"We're good," Jason said. "Billy loves it here with his father. I mean the house is great. It has a lot of room in it. We're getting it wired and modernized. Mr. Collins is letting me have the formal dinning room as a gym area. He said once we get the house wired we can work on decorating it. He already did the plumbing. He did the plumbing when he found out about Billy."

"Cool," Kim said. "So, is Billy up yet?"

"Yeah," Jason said. "He's checking on his dad and then he'll join us here."

"Okay, Jase, what was the deal about his dad? Why he couldn't he come to get Billy?"

"He's allergic to sunlight," Billy answered from behind her.

Kim jumped and Billy chuckled. "Sorry," he said. "Kim, dad is a vampire. He's allergic to things like sunlight and holy water. He really let my social worker have it over the phone though. He gave my cousin David a real appreciation for properly spoken English."

"How?" Kim asked.

"He was nastier and more insulting without raising his voice and without using slang than anyone I've ever heard who shouted and screamed with slang," Jason said. "By the looks on the faces of the rest of the family, they had no idea he knew some of the words he used. Seriously, Kim, he knew some acidic words."

"He sounds cool," Kim said. "So, what does the rest of the house look like and will I get to meet him?"

"You can meet him when he gets up," Billy told her. "He sleeps until about 2 in the afternoon usually. 8 hours of sleep and don't open the curtains if he's in the room. I'm still working on inventing glass that lets him see out but doesn't let sunlight in."

"Okay," Kim said as she was soon given the tour of the house. "So, Billy, have you been to the mall out here yet?"

"Not yet. Dad said it had to wait until tonight. He had some things he was taking care of around town. He said we could tonight though. Do you want to come?"

"Yeah," she said. "I was hoping you might let me help you pick clothes?"

"Sure!" Billy said.

He loved Kim's taste in clothes and he had no idea how three guys would get any clothes that fit right. Well, his dad had good taste but he and Jason? Uh-uh, not a prayer. It would be good to have someone else along who knew style.

"Good afternoon, Billy," Barnabas spoke from behind.

Billy swung around and grinned. "Hi dad!" he said happily. "Meet Kim. She's another one of my
friends from Angel Grove."

"My Pleasure," Barnabas said.

He was aware of how Kim and Jason had arrived and he was aware the others would likely arrive the same way. He had rooms prepared for them all should they turn up.

"Hi," Kim said as Barnabas did an old world bow and kissed her hand. She was impressed. Talk about manners.

"Can Kim come with us tonight?" Billy asked. "She's the best in fashion."

"Of course she can," Barnabas said. "She is your friend."

"Thank you!" Billy said.

He gave Barnabas yet another bone crushing hug, which he returned.

"You're more than welcome, Billy," he said. "I told you, whatever you need."

Chapter 4: Saving The Rangers

"Dad, this is the Command Center," Billy said as he and Jason teleported in with Barnabas.

Barnabas raised an eyebrow as he looked around at the place. It seemed so---Low tech after all the things Billy had made for the house. Jason grinned but his smile faded as he looked up at Zordon.

"Screwed up, didn't you?" Jason asked coolly.

He would not have left the team if Zordon had been able to keep his mouth shut. If Zordon hadn't made Billy's parentage an issue. If Zordon hadn't called Barnabas Evil.

How evil was someone who was rebuilding a Town's heart by reopening a shipyard? Jason was one of the builders and he loved it. He loved Carpentry and he loved building things with his hands. It was much better than fighting.

Although, he had done a few classes in Karate in Collins Port to pick up spending money. Jason was a great teacher.

"Why are we here?" Barnabas asked Zordon coolly.

Jason could see that when this was done, there was going to be a blow out.

"Rita has captured the Rangers," Zordon said. "If I don't find a way to rescue them from the moon, they will die and Rita and Zedd will destroy the planet."

"And that would be where we come in, wouldn't it?" Barnabas asked in an even colder tone. "No one of a light soul can go to the moon because of the fields so you need Billy and I to do it. My, we are pathetic aren't we? Very well. We will help. But not for the world, for the sake of those children."

"Only for the children?" Zordon asked.

"What have you ever done for me?" Barnabas asked. "I will help because they matter to my son. You on the other hand, do not. You do not matter to me at all. And you had better remember that."

"Zordon," Alpha-5 yelled. "Goldar is attacking in the park."

"Get me there," Barnabas said.

It was full dark and his temper was rapidly going. The robot did as he said and dropped him in the park.

"Who are you?" the winged monkey asked.

Barnabas chuckled as his eyes went demonic red. "No one you wanted angry with you," he said. "Sadly for you and your master and mistress, I am Very Angry with you."

"What can you do?" the monkey asked.

Barnabas chuckled again only it was colder now. He stared into Goldar's eyes and suddenly Goldar began to feel unreasoning terror in his every cell.

"You will take me to your master and mistress," Barnabas instructed.

Goldar nodded and took Barnabas' hand. They teleported to the moon where Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd were waiting.

Barnabas then moved, faster than anyone thought he could. His anger increased his speed and reflexes. He sent Rita careening into a wall and then just beat the hell out of Zedd. "To touch my son or his friends is to invite a swift and terrible retribution," Barnabas told the inside out man. "Do this again and I will kill you."

He left them lying on the ground and then walked away. He knew where the dungeons were; he'd seen the maps Billy had been looking at.

Once he found them, he did the only thing he could. If nothing living could pass through those force fields, it was a damn good thing he'd been dead for 200 years. His fist disrupted the field and the rangers all stared at him.

"Do you want to just stay here?" he asked.

Kimberly jumped up and hugged him. "Thanks, Mr. Collins," she said. "Guys, this is Billy's father. I should have realized Zordon would have to call you. Are Jase and Billy with you?"

"Yes," he answered as they prepared to teleport out. "How long we stay remains to be seen."

"Why?" the young man who had replaced Billy asked.

Barnabas smiled darkly. "Because my temper is seriously short right now and I am not best pleased with Zordon of Eltar at this moment."

 

Chapter 5: Rage

It had remained quiet for a full three minutes before Barnabas had started speaking. When he spoke, his voice was as cold as ice. "You used children," he said softly.

Billy and Jason both swallowed. When he got like that it was best to get the hell out of his way and let him vent.

"You used children in a war you know they cannot possibly win and you call me Evil? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"It had to be children," Zordon began.

"Why?" Barnabas asked. "Because you want to deny the need for the Element of Shadow? No, you should have waited until they were mature. Until they knew there has to be a balance of dark in light in all things. But you wanted them to deny that. To reject what is part of the natural order. You made Billy not mention who his grandfather was in that act. His grandfather is not just a shadow element. He is The Shadow. You deny his validity and yet because of those powers in Billy and my inherent darkness your team was saved. Without us, they would have died, wouldn't they have?"

"Well---," Zordon began.

"Answer the damn Question!" Barnabas snarled. "They would have died, yes or no?"

"Yes," Zordon admitted reluctantly.

"You just proved you do need the Element of Shadow. Such a pity you threw it away. Boys? Are you ready to go? This place makes me sick."

"Yeah," Jason said. "We're long past ready to go?"

"Jason," Kimberly called. "Can I come too?"

"If you wish, Miss Hart," Barnabas answered. "We need to go now though. There are things we need to do at home."

"Okay," Kim said.

The young man who had replaced Billy moved forward too. His name was Adam Park and he looked as if he knew the Shadow Element was important.

"I'm going with them if they'll have me," Adam said. "You can't deny one aspect without denying all aspects. I'll see you all around. My parents don't want me either."

"Cool," Jason said as he pulled Adam into their group.

He knew the shy boy would love Maine. Especially their little town, which was peaceful and quiet.

"All aboard for teleporting. Barnabas, Billy?" he said.

They joined the group and Barnabas shot one last look of pure disdain at Zordon. "Do not cross me, Zordon of Eltar," he said. "I've killed better than you for less."

With those parting words, they teleported out of the command center going back to Maine. The words of warning hung heavily in the air and Zordon knew, in his heart of hearts, that Barnabas Collins would be a more dangerous enemy than Rita, Zedd and Master Vile together. He had a great deal of thinking to do. If he dared to cross the vampire, he would find hell on earth, he knew. Yet, he thought they still needed Billy. Was there a way around this problem? Only time would tell.

 

end part 5