emotions in motion

By bimba_one

bimba_one@yahoo.com

Fandom: Poltergeist, the Legacy

Pairing: Nick/Derek

Note: This is my 1st writing attempt of slashy material. It's only the beginning. But I would like you guys to tell me if you like it and should I continue or not.

Now this 1st part has no graphic scenes in it and it is called Discovery.

Disclaimer: guys are not mine, only playing with them for a while.

Rating : for this part I'd say R. Just in case.

I really hope you enjoy, so let me know.

Emotions In Motion

by bimba_one
+++++++++++++++

 

Part 1: Discovery

Derek was coming down to the control room and found Nick and Alex already doing the morning scans.

"Morning you two," he said.

"Morning boss," answered Nick while Alex only nodded and smiled, since she was on the phone.

When she hung up she turned to Derek, "I have something really important I have to take care of, mind if I take the day off?" she asked.

"Need any help?" asked Nick.

"No thanks. It's something personal, but I have to take care of it immediately." She turned back to Derek to get his response.

"Yes, go right a head. If anything comes up, I'm sure Nick and I will be able to handle it."

"You and Nick, why? Where is Rachel?" she asked.

"In some convention in New York," replied Derek.

"Ok. I'll see you guys later," said Alex and took off.

Nick continued his scans while Derek headed for his office. He was doing some paper work, when suddenly his inner phone line rang. "Yes Nick," he said, "What is it?"

"I think you should come and see this for yourself," answered the young man.

Nick's voice sounded very anxious so leaving his office; Derek rushed into the control room. He came in and stood next to Nick looking at the screen.

"Damn," he said. "Are you sure these headlines are correct?" he questioned Nick.

"Unfortunately, yes. I double-checked and contacted a source of mine in the SFPD. He said it's true." He paused and then asked, "We have encountered those thing before with Alex. You think she's in danger from them?"

"Yes we did. I thought we got read of them. Obviously we did not. And I think we should get them before they try to get to Alex. Although she has rejected Philip, vampire blood and need is still in her system. If they attack her again, I don't know if we can save her this time," Said Derek.

"Then we better get going," said Nick.

"Let's get the things we need before we leave."

The two of them gathered the items they will need, and soon were on the way out to Derek's car. Suddenly something struck Nick and he turned to Derek saying in a worried voice, "I think it was a mistake letting Alex go alone. What if that call she got, had something to do with these things?"

Derek looked at him. He had the same thoughts. "Then we better find them before they find her."

They headed to the ferry and in 30 minutes were in town at the police station. Nick talked to his source on the force, which informed him on the location of the found bodies. They looked at the map trying to find any indication as to where these vampires are hiding and took off in a hurry to the crime scene area.

Derek and Nick searched the area for a long time, until finally they reached an abounded warehouse. Derek suddenly has a vision, and he knew that that were the vampires are hiding. "They're here Nick," he said.

"We only have about an hour of day light left," said Nick. "We better hurry."

The two of them entered the warehouse in search of the vampires. They saw five coffins. Nick poured Some gasoline on the three closest coffins and set them on fire, while Derek planned on doing the same to the two one that were at the farthest side on the place.

The vampires that Nick torched began screaming and one of them managed to break down the top of his coffin and tried to attack Nick.

Nick's back was turned to the vampire as he was headed in Derek's direction. He heard the growl behind him and so did Derek.

Nick turned gun in hand but the vampire was too fast and jumped on him pushing him to the floor. His gun fell and he was preparing to defend himself but then a wooden arrow was shot straight through the vampire's heart. He exploded and vanished into thin air. Nick got up and looked at Derek with thanks in his eyes.

The screaming of their friends awoke the two other vampires and they both came out of their coffins, standing behind Derek. Nick screamed as one of them reached to grab Derek, "Derek, watch out." He ran towards his boss gun in hand and shot the vampire. Derek turned a sword in his hand and detached the wounded vampire's head form it's body. This left them one vampire to deal with, but when they looked back, he was no where to be found.

"I suggest we stay close," said Nick.

Derek just nodded.

They continued to search the warehouse but couldn't find the damn thing. An hour passed and it was dark now. Nick lit two flashlights for himself and Derek and the carried on with the search. Derek held the crossbow and the sword close to his body ready for anything that may come. Suddenly he sensed danger. Nick was no longer by his side.

"Nick. Where are you?" he called raising his flashlight, looking for his young friend.

"Right here," said Nick only a few feet away from him.

Suddenly Derek saw the vampire standing on top of something above Nick. It was ready to attack. "Nick look out," he called, raising his crossbow and shooting. Unfortunately the vampire was quicker and it jumped on Nick who fell down to the ground.

Derek heard Nick scream in pain.

The vampire ran toward Derek who threw the bow aside and raised his sword. The vampire taunted and played with Derek for a while avoiding his strikes.

"Hang on Nick," he called out.

"He's already dead," mocked the vampire, "Which is how you'll be soon."

Derek screamed "No," and his sword raised again and in an instant was running through the vampire's body. It begun laughing. "You'll need more then that to kill me." Then all of a sudden it was gone.

Derek rushed of to Nick. He saw a big piece of glass stuck in his chest. "Oh god. Nick, can you here me?" he asked. "Hang on. Help is on the way," he said while dialing 911.

A few minutes later an ambulance evicted the two of them to SF general hospital. Nick's breathing was shallow and Derek was worried Sick he might lose his young friend.

As soon as they reached the hospital Nick was taken to the ER. Derek wasn't allowed in and he was sitting in the waiting room. After a while he began to pace impatiently. He was walking back and forth when his cell phone rang.

"Derek, its Alex. I came back to an empty house. Where are you two?"

Derek filled Alex on what happened and told her Nick was hospitalized and is in serious condition.

"Hang on Derek," she said, "I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Dr. Rayne?" he heard someone say and looked up to see a young doctor standing there.

"How is he?" he asked impatiently.

"He is in serious condition. The glass missed his heart, but it was a close call. He also lost a lot of blood and is on transfusion right now. The next 24 hours will be critical," said the doctor.

"Thank you," said Derek. "May I see him?"

"Yes of course. Follow me," she said.

Alex came in to the ER at that moment. "Derek, how is he?" she asked worried.

He told her what the doctor said and held her hand so she'd follow him to see Nick.

They both entered the room Nick was in. The young man was unconscious and tubes were up his nose and an IV was in one of his arms.

Derek stood there pale and looked at him. He came closer to one side of the bed while Alex moved to the other. She caressed Nick's cheek. "He looks awful," she said.

Derek looked at her. "I'm going to arrange he's moved to a private room," he told Alex.

"Good," she said. "That way I can stay here tonight to watch over him."

"No," said Derek sharply.

"Derek?" she asked.

He closed his eyes and gathered back his composure. "Sorry Alex. But I need you at the house. I'll stay here with him tonight."

"Are you sure?" she asked. "You look tired. Maybe you should go home and sleep for a while then come back."

"No Alex. I need to be here."

She didn't say anything anymore. She was the only one who knew his true feelings for Nick. He never told her, but she just figured it out by herself. The looks he glanced at the young man when he was sure he won't be caught.

"Ok," she finally said.

"Thank you," was all he said.

A few minutes later he looked at her, "Do you mind staying with him, while I go and pull some strings to get him to a private room?"

"Sure," she replied.

Derek left the room and for a minute stood outside leaning on a wall to get his emotions and feelings under control. He then called a friend on the hospital's board and soon arranged Nick's private room.

He and Alex followed the bed to one of the upstairs floors, where the private rooms where located. Soon Nick was settled in his new room. There was a folding bed there for Derek. He opened it right next to Nick's bed and sat on it staring at his young friend's pale face. "It's nearly midnight," he finally told Alex. "You better head home."

She kissed Nick on one of his cheeks gently. "Don't you dare die on us," she whispered in his ear. She then hugged Derek, "Try to get some sleep," she told him as she left.

Derek sat on the bed just staring at Nick. All he could think of was this young man and how much he loved him. He was shocked. He realized he had these feelings for a long time, but refused to acknowledge them. He was afraid if Nick knew how he felt about him, it would destroy their friendship. He couldn't allow this. Finally he laid on the bed and closed his eyes, soon drifting into a restless sleep.

Nick moaned and steered in his sleep calling out something. Derek was awaken by the sound and jumped up. He saw Nick tossing in bed and was about to call for a nurse or a doctor.

"No, Derek. God watch out," he heard Nick call out and realized the young man was having a nightmare. Derek wrapped his arms around the young man caressing his face gently.

"Nick, its ok. You are only dreaming. It's me Derek. I'm here with you, safe and sound. Don't worry my dear," he said trying to get the young man to calm down.

The young seal opened his eyes for a minute staring into Derek's eyes. "Derek," he whispered.

"Yes, it's me. I'm ok, you see."

Nick closed his eyes. He was in a confused state and running a high temperature. "I love you," he said.

Derek was confused. Did nick just said he loves him? No way, he finally decided. He probably didn't know what he was saying. He called a nurse to give the young man something to lower his fever, and in a few minutes the x-seal was finally relaxed. Derek realized he was sleeping and released his embrace.

Derek laid back on the bed and tried to go back to sleep, but the words Nick whispered still bothered him. He begun letting his thoughts run wild. He knew it was me by his side. He said he loves me. Could it be? He wondered. Oh god, please heal him, and please let it be the truth. Or maybe he just meant he loves me like a father or a friend. Damn. He was really frustrated and unable to sleep.

He just sat in his bed still thinking, when a nurse came in to check on Nick. She saw he was a wake and said, "Good morning" quietly.

Derek looked at his watch. It was 7:30am. He got up and went into the bathroom to wash his face. When he came back into the room the nurse was gone, but Nick was awake and just lying quietly.

"Hey there," said Derek. "Welcome to the world of the living."

"Hi Derek," replied Nick.

"How do you feel?" asked Derek worried.

"Like someone stuck a knife in my chest."

Derek smiled slightly. "A piece of glass actually," corrected Derek.

Nick felt a little embarrassed. He remembered mumbling something about loving Derek. He couldn't tell if he actually said it or was dreaming it. <God, > he thought. His face frowned when he tried to move in bed. "Nick. What do you think you're doing?" asked Derek.

"Nothing," said Nick realizing he was too seriously injured to move. He looked at Derek then saw the bed that was next to his. "Did you spent the night here?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Why?" asked Nick.

"What do you mean why?" replied Derek a bit angry. "Because you are my friend and you were hurt and I needed to watch over you."

Nick didn't reply. He just stared at the older man, as if trying to figure out his behavior. Alex's arrival at that moment, entering the room and smiling broadly as she saw Nick awake, prevented them from an awkward silence.

"Nick," she said giving him a light hug so she won't hurt him. "I was worried about you. I came just as soon as I could."

"Did you do the morning scans?" asked Derek.

"Damn you Derek. One of our people is in hospital and all you can think of is work?" asked Alex.

"Evil doesn't stop just because one of us is temporarily unavailable to work," he said.

Nick smiled at that exchange of words between his two friends. He knew Derek was probably trying to cover up his feelings about his question and that probably what made him ask Alex about those scans. He knew Derek better then than that. Derek was not an insensitive man. Just a bit shy and reserved about his emotions.

"Alex," said Nick. "Give the man a break. He's just worried." He winked at her and she understood. <Oh, I must have walked in on a private moment, > she thought. <Men, those two are head over hills for each other, but neither one of them will admit it. >

"Yes Derek. Of course I did the scans," she said relaxed now and smiling. "Sorry for trying to bite your head off."

"I need some fresh air," said Derek and left the room. He went outside the hospital and grabbed a cup of coffee and some breakfast at a small restaurant. After his second cup of coffee he felt he can face his two team members and headed back to the hospital.

Alex stayed only a little longer with Nick before she realized he was dozing off to sleep and left the room. She met Derek coming back on her way out. "He's asleep," she told him. "I'm heading back to the house to do some more work. I brought you some fresh clothes. I thought you'd like to get out of the ones you slept in."

"Thank you Alex," he said giving her a small hug.

She smiled and left.

Derek took a deep breath and walked back into Nick's room. The young x-seal was sleeping as Alex said, and Derek sat on a chair next to the bed. He rested his head on the bed next to Nick's body. He took Nick's palm in his hand.

Nick felt Derek's head touching his hip and then Derek's hand holding his. He opened his eyes. He heard Derek say in prayer, "God, please protect him." Not wanting to disturb Derek or to embarrass him he closed his eyes again and just listened.

"My god," repeated Derek. "Please protect this young man. I can not stand to lose him. I love him too much. Don't let him die." He paused and raised his head a little. Nick seemed to be still asleep. "I'm so in love with him. If I lose him now, my life would be worthless. Save him please."

Nick was overjoyed but shaken at the same time. He had no idea Derek loved him. Correction, he said. Derek is in love with me. He wondered weather he should let Derek know he's awake.

Derek picked up Nick's palm and kissed it. "I love you so much Nick," he said, sure Nick is asleep and won't hear him.

Nick decided it was time to reveal his own emotions as well, and <face the music> so to speak. "And I thought you liked women," he suddenly said.

Derek was startled. He raised his head from the bed letting Nicks palm fall from his hand. His face reddened.

"I like women as well," he said. "How much have you heard?"

"Everything," admitted Nick. "I like women and men as well," he informed Derek.

Derek swallowed a big lump in his throat. What is Nick trying to tell him? He wanted to hear the specific words.

Nick stared at him for a moment. "Ok," he said. "You win." He finally managed to mumble the words Derek obviously needed to hear, "I love you too Derek."

Derek's eyes were filled with so much love now, it overwhelmed the young man and he just held up his palm for Derek to take hold of.

Derek sat down on the bed next to Nick holding his hand tight. "May I kiss you?" he asked.

Nick smiled softly, "You'd better, before I freak out and think this is only a dream."

Derek bent slightly, careful not to apply pressure on Nick's wounded chest. Their lips met and they shared the sweetest most delicious kiss.

Nick raised his other hand to pull Derek's head closer, trying to deepen the kiss.

"We'll have plenty of time for that when you are healed," he said.

"Then I'd better get out of here as soon as possible," said Nick hinting to the other man he wants out of the hospital.

"Not until the doctor says it is safe for you to leave," replied Derek.

"Ok," said Nick pretending to frown, but in fact he felt relieved. The man he loves, is in love with him as well. No more secret looks and secret dreams. Soon, they will be able to show their love to each other without holding back.

"Soon my love," said Derek. "Soon."


END PART 1