Title: My Immortal

Author: Wensday

(wendy_moon@iprimus.com.au)

Fandom: Pirates of the Caribbean

Pairing: Jack Sparrow/Will Turner

Rating: PG-13, NC-17 in later chapters.

Archive: Want to Archive just ask!

Disclaimer: the characters in this story are the property of the Disney monster, I'm just playing with them.

Spoilers: Pirates of the Caribbean, please see it before you read this.

Warnings: Slash. pretty much it until my mind tells me more.

Summery: A year has passed since Will and Jack have last seen each other, and now Will wants to become a Pirate, however some painful memories start to return.


My Immortal
By Wensday


"I'm so tired of being here
suppressed by all of my childish fears"
~ Evanescence


Flames. Hundreds of them. The city burned. Screams of pain filled the air. It was hot. Hotter than hot. So hot your skin would burn even if you were a block away. Pain. So much pain. So little he could do. He saw her. Saw his child in her arms. His Sara. His Elizabeth. Burnt in the flames. Burnt to a crisp. He yelled. He screamed. So little he could do. So little anyone could do. His home and family burned. The city burned. And none could do anything but watch.

*_*_*_*

Will Turner's eyes snapped open and he sat bolt upright in his bed. It was that dream again. The one he had had every night for a month. The one that made him want to stay awake all night. The one that did make him stay up all night. He hated it. He feared it. But it just wouldn't go away!

A soft sigh escaped his lips as he ran his fingers though his hair. He had never told anyone about the dream. Nor did he intend to. They'd probably laugh at him anyway if they realised he woke up shaking, drenched in a cold sweat, after a nightmare. Plus, pirates should never complain about such trivial things. At least, that's what he thought. Whether or not it was true, he didn't know.

Taking a deep breath, Will slowly got to his feet and lit a candle. There was no use staying in bed anymore because he'd never be able to get back to sleep. The only thing he could do was walk around and try to get the dream to leave his mind. Which could take anything from fifteen minutes to three hours. And than he'd try one last time to get back to sleep without success before having to start his daily routines on board the Black Pearl.

A small smile appeared on his face as he quietly left his room. A year ago he thought he'd never see this ship or crew again. And yet, here he was. On board the very ship that had started the whole mess. The very ship that had helped bring him and Elizabeth together.

Ironic, wasn't it? He had chased after this ship to destroy it only a year ago, and now here he was working on it as a pirate. Which was also an irony in itself. He had hated pirates with a passion since he was very small, only to find out his father, William Turner, known as Bootstrap Bill Turner, had also been a pirate. And not only that, but he had been under the command of the very Captain he himself was working under, Jack Sparrow.

Still smiling to himself, Will made his way up onto the deck and over to the starboard side. It was a clear, cool night, and the moon was high and full. A night any pirate would love to sail under. But of course, all was still. After all, even pirates needed their rest.

With a soft sigh, Will leant onto the railing and looked out over the sea. It was as calm and clear as the night, but gave off a silver glow from the moon. It was a beautiful sight to behold. If only his Elizabeth and Sara were here to share it with him. A small shudder ran down his spine as an uneasy feeling passed over him. Something wasn't quite right, and what annoyed Will the most was that he had no idea what it was.

"Having a midnight stroll again are we, Will?" a voice asked from behind him.

Ah ha! So that's what was wrong. Someone had been watching him without him realising it. Sighing again, Will slowly turned around to face the man. "Was that some type of trick question, Captain? Or do you genuinely want to know the answer?"

The man chuckled. "It was a rhetorical question, Will. so of course you don't have ter answer it. And how many times do I have to tell you, I'm Jack to my friends."

A small smile appeared on Will's face. "So you are. sorry, Jack. old habits die hard, I guess. I'm still trying to get used to not calling people by their last names, title and all." Will said while Jack arched an eyebrow and slowly walked over to join him by the railing. It was easy to tell that Jack had been drinking, Will thought. He had the drunken sway again.

"Will. it's been a year since we last met, you had been using some first names by then. so why is now any different?" Jack asked with a slight slur.

Will chuckled slightly and leant back against the railing. "I don't know, Jack. I guess it's because we're on a ship, and you're the Captain of this ship. and I thought."

"Yes, yes. you thought you'd be perlite when we're on a ship and call me by title. I've hard it all before. What I want to know is what happened to the Will I knew a year ago," Jack said cutting him off.

Will's smile turned into a frown and he looked away from Jack. "All you need to know is that he's grown up from the childish person he was," Will snapped.

Jack arched his eyebrow again. Well, that was interesting. It seemed that he had touched a nerve. "I meant no disrespect Will. if that is what I did. I was merely curious."

"Well, keep your curiosity to yourself Captain!" Will snapped again. "I can look after myself."

Jack put his hands up in surrender. "So sorry, Mr. Turner. I never meant, to hurt, your pride!" he said while taking a step away from Will. "However. I must remind you, that as your Captain, I can have you thrown off this ship for talking to me like that."

Will took a deep breath and ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry, Jack. I shouldn't have snapped at you," he said softly. "I've just got a lot on my mind."

Jack sighed and walked back over to Will's side. Carefully, he placed a hand onto Will's shoulder and was surprised to feel that the boy was shaking. "Will. If you need to talk about anything."

"I'll be fine, Jack. I just need to get some things off my mind. That's all." Will said looking at Jack, who noted the sadness in the chocolate brown eyes.

"Very well, lad. I'll leave ye to your thoughts. Just don't do anything stupid. Savvy?" Jack said petting Will's shoulder. "And I'll see you bright and early tomorrow for breakfast!" he added as he started to walk off.

"Don't worry, you will, Jack!" Will replied, watching the pirate for a moment before turning back to the sea, and his thoughts once more.

 

Chapter 2

"And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave"
~ Evanescence


It had been an hour after Jack had left that Will decided that he should try to have a decent sleep one more time. Sighing, Will slowly walked back to his cabin and sat down on his bed. Who was he kidding? He'd never be able to get to sleep and he knew it. Deciding it might be best just to read until breakfast time, Will chose a book from his book shelf and lay down on his bed and started to read.

In what seemed like minutes, the first rays of sunlight started to shine throw Will's porthole and he finally decided to that he should head off to breakfast. Placing a bookmark at the page he was reading, Will sat his book onto the bedside table and left his room once more.

Thinking he'd be the only one awake at this time, he was surprised to find Jack already sitting at the table with Anamaria and Mr. Gibbs sitting either side of him. Sighing softly, Will took a seat next to Anamaria and took an apple from the fruit bowl in front of him.

"Good morning, Will! I trust you slept well after your walk," Jack said smiling at him.

Will returned the smile for a few moments before letting it disappear. "Nope. I started to read and the next thing I knew it was dawn," he replied while taking a bite of his apple, making sure to keep a watchful eye on Jack.

Jack blinked and his smile disappeared. "You stayed up all night?" he asked and when Will nodded, a frown replaced Jack's somewhat blank look. "You're going to wear yourself one of these days. I shouldn't even let you work until you get some decent rest."

Will's eyes went wide. "But. Jack please. you can't! I've got to do something or I'll go mad!" he said before bitting his lip, having realised it sounded like a plea.

Jack arched an eyebrow. "Of course I'll let you work lad!" he said, slightly amused. "However, I must insist that if you have another sleepless night, you don't work the next day so that you can try and get some sleep."

Will let out a soft sigh of relief. "Thank you. And I'll try. though I don't know if sleep will come easily for me." he said trailing off before taking another bite of his apple. There was an awaked silence that followed and finally Mr. Gibbs cleared his throat.

"So lad. How be that bonnie lass of yours? Is she fine with you becoming a pirate and all?" he asked, and straight away wished he hadn't when Will tensed up. "Ye don' have to answer lad. Forget I asked," he added quickly, but it seemed the damage had already been done.

Slowly, Will got to his feet, apple still in his hand. "I'm going to go and read some more before I've got to start my daily duties," he said softly while heading for the door.

Jack opened his mouth to speak only to close it again when Anamaria kicked him in the shins under the table. "What a wonderful idea, Will! Might I have the pleasure of joining you for a walk since my cabins after yours?" she asked smiling at Will.

Blinking, Will nodded glad for some company, even if he didn't really want it. "You may, Anamaria. See you on deck Mr. Gibbs. Jack," he said, saluting them with two fingers before holding open the door for Anamaria.

Anamaria gave the two men at the table a wave before leaving the room and turning to face Will. "You okay?" she asked after Will had closed the door behind him.

Will frowned. He should have known that Anamaria was going to ask him that. "I'm fine. what's makes you think I'm not?" he replied before letting out a sigh, as Anamaria glared at him. "It's personal," he said. When Anamaria still didn't look satisfied with his answer he added, "But when I'm ready to tell you, I will, savvy?"

Finally, Anamaria smiled. "Savvy!" she said looking at Will, her eyes full of concern. "But Will, whatever's wrong don't keep it bottled up. And talk to Jack about it. he's really worried about you. even if he's not really showing it," she added before linking her arm with Will's.

Will chuckled slightly. "Jack? Worried about me? I don't think I believe my ears. but I'll try and talk to him," he said before tilting his head to the side. "How is it you guessed that something was wrong so easily anyway?"

"Call it women's instincts. and before you say anything I'll have you know that female pirates have better instincts than those land loving ladies most men like! Now are you going to escort me as far as your room or am I going to have go alone?" Anamaria question, smiling up at Will.

Will returned the smile slightly. "No I'll, escort you. and thank you," he said while leading her down the hall. Anamaria petted Will's arm. "You're welcome, Will," she said before unlinking their arms. "And never forget, if something's upsetting you, talk to Jack,"

Will nodded. "I'll keep that in mind," he muttered, while wondering what Anamaria was really up to. And if he'd ever learn what it was.

*_*_*_*

The sun was higher in the sky by the time Will came above deck to start his duties. He and Anamaria had talked for longer than he had realised and it had generally made him feel better. Right now, though, he had to find Mr. Gibbs to apologize. It didn't take as long as Will had thought, which was a good thing, for he wanted to get this over with. Smiling, he walked over to Gibbs and stopped beside him.

"Mr. Gibbs! Just the man I wanted to see! Might I have a moment of your time, please?" Will asked when he was standing next to him.

Mr. Gibbs stopped what he was doing and straightened up with a smile. "Of cause ye can, lad! What is it ye wanted?"

Will returned the smile and slowly started to rock on his feet. "I wanted to apologize for this morning. You asked a simple question and I acted as if you had grown two heads. or something like that. and I'm sorry,"

Mr. Gibbs blinked, before ruffling Will's hair. "Don' worry about it, lad. I've had people treat me worse," he said and before Will could say anything else, he walked off.

Will watched him for a moment longer, before making his way up to the helm.

"Ah Will! Just the lad I needed to see!" Jack said smiling.

Will blinked. "You wanted to see me?" he asked and Jack nodded.

"Of course lad! I wouldn't have said it otherwise," Jack replied.

"So why did you want to see me?"

"See you? Oh yes. I was wondering if you'd like to make a trip to Tortuga with me. Just to get some supplies," Jack said while Will arched an eyebrow.

"I don't see a problem with that, Jack. But shouldn't we take other crewmembers too? It might be easier to bring the supplies back," Will stated.

"Nope! Just you and I should do, we don't need a lot. And if I think about it, you need more pirate-like clothes too."

Will rolled his eyes. "If you say so, Jack. How long until we're in Tortuga?"

"In about a day's time I should think. maybe less," Jack said smiling.

Will nodded. "Okay. I'm going to go back to my duties now, Jack. Did you want anything else?" he asked and Jack nodded.

"Yep!" Jack replied, and when Will frowned slightly, he continued. "I want you to try and smile more. one upset crew member makes us all upset. So if you don't want people to ask what's upsetting you force yourself to be happy. Now off you go before I think of something else to say to you!"

Will blinked and a small smile tugged at his lips. "Aye, Captain!" he said, and walked away.


END PART 2