Changing Paths

by Loui

Disclaimer: Disney, Bruckheimer and whatever studios involved own the rights to the characters, the actors own the characters' souls. This is an amateur fanfic and written solely for fun. No copyright
infringement intended. No money changed hands.

Pairing: Jack/Will.

Rating: PG would be pushing it.

Archive: If you want, just tell me first.

Summary: So… does Will stay and get married to Elizabeth? Um… no.

Notes: Still not got a beta so the mistakes are mine and mine alone.

Feedback: you betcha. If I don't know what's wrong, how can I fix it?


Changing Paths
by Loui


Three months to the day since his now near-legendary `rescue' of Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner shook hands with his former master. Somewhat to his surprise, the drunken old sod gave him a quick hug and said, "God Bless, lad. God Bless."

"Keep well, old man," said Will with a catch in his voice. He then more firmly settled his travelling bag on his shoulder and headed for the door of the smithy. His other belongings were already on board the Seawind and there was a boat awaiting him at the dock to take him out to the waiting ship. All had been arranged for the simple payment of a couple of hand-crafted swords for the captain.

Master Brown had already given him leave to use the forge for his own work after his last pieces were completed for his former master; it had only taken a little more work to fashion the two extra blades. As they got him one step closer to his goal, Will had considered them a bargain.

Forty minutes later, he cast one last wistful glance back over his shoulder and at his past, and then, he turned his gaze out to the Seawind and the hypnotic rolling waves of the sea. It was time…

**

Five months later, having come to a reasonably amicable and *temporary* arrangement with Tortuga's only other decent blacksmith, Will Turner found himself reasonably pleased with his lot.

He'd slowly settled in to life in the crazy pirate haven. Old MacNair was a stout old Scot, and a decent blacksmith, and he'd welcomed the help. Not to mention the fact that - helping the old man - allowed him to earn enough to support himself reasonably well and keep a hand in at his trade. While waiting on word of the Pearl, there was worse things that he could be doing.

The working of the metal also allowed him to come to peace with the decision that he had reached. The gentle tears that had run down Elizabeth's cheeks at his decision rather than hysterical sobbing had also eased his heart. The mad couple of weeks that they'd lived during the Curse/Sparrow/Pearl escapade had been exhilarating. The couple of weeks after Jack's - and Norrington's the following day - departure had slowly brought matters back to reality.

He loved Elizabeth - he always would. He also knew that those feelings were wholeheartedly returned. What he and Elizabeth had both come to realise was that it was the gentle first-love of childhood. A love secretly cherished for the hope that it was the grand passion in their lives… something that had became apparent was not the case.

He'd found himself spending an inordinate amount of time wool- gathering while he was supposed to be listening to wedding plans and, after one too many such incidents, a gentle yet strong hand on his shoulder had interrupted his reverie and Elizabeth's firm voice had commanded him to "talk to me".

He'd passed it off as a moment's idle concern about what escapades Sparrow had managed to get himself in to since his `escape'. She'd let it go then, but they'd both known it was more than that. That evening, alone in his rooms in Port Royal, Will Turner had finally admitted the truth to himself. He missed the sea… he missed the excitement… most of all, he missed the irrepressible pirate that was *Captain* Jack Sparrow.

The next day, he'd gone to Elizabeth and confessed what he was feeling. There had been a few tears on both sides but they knew it had been coming. They decided to break their engagement. While she was a bit more adventurous than the majority of ladies of good breeding in the community and neighbouring towns, Elizabeth's reputation was still excellent. It would not be hard for her - should she choose - to find many willing suitors. Surprising them both, Will had put in a good word for Norrington - who he had to
admit was a decent enough man in the long run.

It had left him free to get his affairs in order and arrange passage to the one place that he knew Jack would eventually return to.

**

It was seven months after his arrival in Tortuga that the Black Pearl finally made it's way back into port. Knowing instinctively that he had to keep his distance at first if he wanted any chance of equality in the ranks of it's motley crew, Will did not immediately rush to the first inn that Jack and his crew visited. Nor did he even attempt to contact anyone from the Pearl on their first night in town.

It was the afternoon of the second day of the Pearl's dropping anchor in the bay when a familiar voice echoed from the doorway of MacNair's smithy, saying, "Well, well, well. I guess I owe Maggie Ray that drink after all.

"Bootstrap Turner's boy `tis indeed in this fair, unwashed town."

Looking up from the blade that he was finishing polishing, Will cocked his head to the side and assessed the colourful clothed frame of the pirate at the door, and then grinned, saying, "'Least it's not a slap in the face, Jack Sparrow. Isn't that what you normally end up owing the ladies?"

That produced a genuine grin on the face of the pirate and a devilish twinkle in his kohl accentuated eyes. "It's a rare gift that, Will Turner."

"Whatever you say, Jack," said Will with a chuckle. He then put aside the blade he was working on and walked towards the doorway of the smithy, Sparrow met him half way. They exchanged a brief, manly
embrace before stepping back to gaze merrily in to each other's eyes.

"Drink?" said Will.

"Drink!" was the pirate's emphatic response.

**

Several drinks later and after telling Jack the story of "your lady fair and why I didn't get an invitation to the wedding" Will was ready to raise the subject of whether or not he was welcome on the Pearl. Something interrupted them - something usually did, after all.

This something was a bar brawl that started when Jack quickly shook off the gentle alcohol haze surrounding them and told the two unsavoury looking characters that had approached their table requesting/demanding to be re-hired as crew exactly what they could to do with their request.

By the time the brawl had turned into a melee and spilled out into the street, Jack and Will were fighting off all-comers side by side and like two partners that had fought together for years. Fight over, they'd retreated off to Will's room at the back of MacNair's smithy - the old man had a lady friend of long standing that he stayed with - and collapsed exhaustedly on the floor, leaning back against the side of the bed.

The next morning, Will woke with the rough shaking of his shoulder. Eyes blinking open, he looked into the intense eyes of his companion. Jack was crouched down in front of him, eyes level with his own. The simple question Jack asked - minus his usual embellishments - penetrated Will's half awake mind and brought him to full alertness.

"So, Will Turner. Are you with me?"

"To hell and back, *Captain* Sparrow."

The grin he got as a reply made Will smile as well.

**

One month later - Anamaria having insisted that she'd had her fill of being first mate to the crazy captain of the Black Pearl - left the ship and Will Turner assumed the post in her place. His parting gift to Anamaria was a pair of items that he'd crafted in his last few weeks in Port Royal. She was a good fighter who was best suited to using a short sword or dagger… the two he'd given her when she left for pastures new had been two of the best he'd ever crafted.

For the main part, the crew had already met him during his earlier adventure with Jack. The remainder had quickly come to respect his abilities with the blade and the fact that he seemed to be able to cope with their mercurial captain's moods and whims. Mr. Gibbs supported him wholeheartedly and his loyalty to Jack won him their respect; especially when they saw that their captain genuinely trusted and liked their young first mate.

**

It was on the night of the first anniversary of his second voyage on the Pearl that things began to change again. Joining his captain and friend for dinner in the captain's quarters, Will reached around his neck and pulled out the leather pouch that he'd been wearing against his chest all day.

He tossed it across the table to his friend and said, "Here. I made you these a while ago. Tonight seems like as good a time as any to give you them."

Eyes curious and eager - he *liked* presents - Jack emptied the contents of the pouch onto his palm and Will shifted nervously in his seat at the gasp of surprise his present produced. Jewellery was not something he normally worked with but these pieces had seem to come from the forge with effortless ease.

The ring of pure silver was reminiscent of waves, the stylised sparrow mounted on the J and S inlaid into the centre was delicate yet strong; the silver drop earring that matched it was a solid teardrop shape which this time had the ring's centre design etched onto the surface.

Questioning eyes were raised from their assessment of the objects to meet his own and Will silently shrugged a response. He watched as Jack's nimble fingers assessed the ring's weight and size before
removing a ring from his left hand and replacing it with his gift, the earring also found a new home in one of the holes in Jack's left ear.

Raising his glass, the pirate captain then said, "Thank you." Nothing more needed to be said. It was almost an hour later before Will rose to excuse himself - he was next at the helm. Jack rose with him and walked towards the closed door of his quarters.

Before he could open the door, Jack tugged him back and raised strong hands to the back of his head to pull his lips down to meet the pair that was demandingly searching for his own. Surprised - yet not -
Will enthusiastically returned the embrace. The heady rush of emotion and the sense of inevitability about the moment near turned his legs to jelly, but he had enough presence of mind remaining for him to raise his hands to Jack's shoulders and steady himself.

A long moment later, they broke the kiss. The finger wearing a new silver ring stroked gently down his cheek and Will couldn't help but lean in to the touch.

"You want this?" was the soft question.

"Yes, but…"

"Slow?"

Will nodded wordlessly.

Grin on his face, Jack Sparrow stepped back and released Will. "Slow I can do, Will Turner. Just you wait and see. Just…" his voice trailed off, eyes insistent.

Bouncing off toward the door, heart lighter than it had ever been, Will said, "I keep my word, *Captain*. You know that.

"I'm yours… just like you're mine."

Smiling, Jack gave an elaborate bow and said, "Would I disagree with my first mate?

"Now get to the deck, you young whelp and take the helm!"

"Aye, captain."

And… like the excellent first mate that he was… Will Turner did as he had been ordered.


Fin