TITLE: The Warrior’s Mage: Thorns And Roses

AUTHOR: PEJA

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: Jim/Blair

Rating: NC-17

Summary: AU, set in a world of warriors and wizards. The new lord presents his bride to his people.

Feedback: its the only pay for fanfic writers, so pay up guys

Email: daltonavon@yahoo.comdaltonavon@yahoo.com

Disclaimer: Mine...An AU needs enough world-building to make the characters original, right? Well, don't they?

 

The Warrior’ Mage 2: Thorns And Roses
By PEJA


Jim woke with the scent of his lover and mate’s hair in his nose delivered by tiny wisps of curls that seemed to possess a wicked sense of humor as they danced in ticklish delight with each breath Blair took. 

Smiling at the sleeping beauty he held in his arms, he brushed the silken wisps back off Blair’s warm forehead and away from his sensitive skin.

Murmuring softly, the mage shifted restlessly in Jim’s embrace and a tiny frown puckered his high brow.

Jim caressed his back with small soothing circles.

Groaning a soft protest in his sleep, The smaller man’s head rolled in a negative shake.

"Shhh, Blair," Jim whispered against his forehead. "You’re safe now, little mage."

A silvery tear slipped past Blair’s thick lashes. And another.

"Hush, sweet. Hush." Curling his lover close against his chest, Jim brushed a gentle kiss on the top of the smaller man’s head. "Shush, Blair, its only a dream. You’re safe. I’m here. I’ll take care of you."

Blair murmured a soft sob, nuzzling Jim’s chest in his sleep.

Jim moaned softly as Blair’s lips closed over his nipple and suckled, his large hand curling and uncurling as a babe would suckle at his mother’s breast. "You are so beautiful, little mage," he murmured, his own head rolling against the softness of his pillow. "So perfect. If only..." He sighed, letting go of his hopes of finding himself a wife, of having children of his own. "I will not regret....I will not."

A tiny whimper drifted between them and Blair’s lashes fluttered open. He shifted slightly away abandoning the erect nib he’d so sweetly teased in sleep. "Milord....?" he murmured, shadows darkening his clear gaze.

Smiling, Jim brushed the russet curls back, and laser blue eyes met his. "Speak, Little One."

"Milord....I...." His lashes lowered, cloaking the fear Jim had read so clearly in the blue depths. "I beg thee, forgive my boldness...." He inched farther away but, chuckling, Jim drew him back, tight against his chest.

"What would you have me forgive, sweet mage?" He felt the tears against his chest and bundled Blair up on his chest. "Why do you weep, my own? Did I scare you in my passion?" He shifted to get a glimpse of the silently crying man in his arms. "Did I hurt you?"

"Nay, Lord," Blair whispered brokenly. "Thou wouldst not...Tis na’ of import, Sire."

"Whatever it is," Jim said gently, brushing back Blair’s curls once more. "It is enough to bring you distress, little mage. What has upset you so?"

Blair shook his head, sniffling. "Nothing, Milord."

"I would be a fool to believe that, would I not, Sweet?" Jim curled a finger under Blair’s chin forcing the mage to meet his eyes. "Tell me."

"I...." Blair tried to turn away but Jim held him firmly. "I made advance on thee without thy leave, milord. I beg thy forgiveness."

Jim stared gape mouthed for a heartbeat, then a deep chuckle rolled through him and he hugged the mage tightly against him. "You are upset because you touched me?" he asked through his humor. "You weep because your body responds to me without conscious thought?"

""Tis not a humorous matter, Lord." Blair bristled against him and pressed for release, without success.

"What now, precious mage? You switch from sadness to anger like a woman?" He rolled, tucking the mage beneath him. "What manner of man are you?"

Blue flame spat from Blair’s eyes and he squirmed out of Jim’s arms. "Thy whore," he hissed. "T’is what manner of man thou hast made of me."

His own anger flaring, Jim dragged Blair back around and leaned heavily over him, stilling his struggles with his greater weight. "No one says that about my mate." Jim hissed, capturing Blair’s chin in his hard fingers when they smaller man tried to avoid his eyes. "No one, Do you understand? Not even my mate himself."

Blair blinked into Jim’s eyes. "I beg thee, forgive me, milord," he whispered.

Jim glared. "You will never speak thusly again," he commanded. "Swear it. You will never speak of yourself in this way again. And you will never think it, do you understand?"

Owl-eyed, Blair nodded. "Aye, Milord. Never again."

Gathering the trembling man in his arms, Jim rolled onto his back, draping Blair over him like a furry blanket. "I won’t lie to you, Blair," he said, brushing the wild curls behind Blair’s ears. "I won’t tell you I love you, but this I swear on the dear last breath of mine own precious mother, from the moment I set eyes on you I knew you would be special to me. I knew you would be a part of the rest of my life. Not because you were a mage... the mage I had come here seeking, but because I need you to make things balance in my life."

Blair’s lips parted in rapt amazement. His hand brushed Jim’s cheek and some of the tension melted from his stiff frame. His firm muscled body softened under his master and a slow shy smile lifted the corner of his lips.

Jim took his hand and pressed a kiss into the trembling palm. "You feared I had changed my mind." It was a statement of fact, not a question. "Shame, Little One." His lips whispered over Blair’s parted mouth. "We are bonded, are we not?"

Blair nodded mutely.

Laughing darkly, Jim rolled them off the bed and to their feet. His blazing blue gaze washed over Blair’s nakedness and he smiled. "You are lovely, Little Mage." His hand caressed Blair’s arm, tracing down to lace his fingers with Blair’s. "Our citizens await us below, Sweet. Probably very impatiently. If you don’t want them coming up here and dragging you out from under me, dress quickly."

Blushing, Blair ducked his head and scampered to the massive wardrobe. He snatched up a black robe embellished with ornate silver threads in swirls and whorls. Dropping the robe over his head, he turned back to Jim. "T’is all right, Milord?"

Jim tilted his head, looking the smaller man up and down. "You have no trousers?"

The expectant look fled Blair’s lean features and he lowered his head. "I am a mage, milord. I wear the garb of mine order. T’would be unseemly to display myself before thy citizens, milord." He dared a glance upward. "Art thou displeased?"

"No." Jim was upon him in two strides, gathering him in a rocking embrace. "Nay, Sweet. You do me great honor, bondmate. In trousers or in your wizard’s garb." He tilted Blair’s chin up again and stole a tender kiss before releasing the smaller man. "Finish dressing, Little One. Our people must be neigh on to starvation while we sleep the sleep of babes."

Quick to obey, Blair dressed in silence, keeping his gaze lowered as he did. His hands trembled slightly as he lifted the hood over his bowed head, effectively concealing his face under the draping fabric.

Dressed in his warrior’s garb, Jim turned his amused glance on his lover. "Your appearance is more of one in mourning than a newly bonded mate."

"Tis the way of the Mages," Blair whispered brokenly.

"Blair," Jim stalked his lover, a sultry smile ghosting over his full lips. "I would have your smiles, little wizard. Not your fears." He cupped Blair's down-turned face in his big hands, tipping his chin gently up to meet his eyes. "What troubles you?"

"Naught, milord," Blair hedged.

"Do you fear me, bondmate?"

Blair's lashes quivered, his sharp teeth nibbling at the corner of his lower lip. "Nay, milord," he finally managed.

Jim tapped the broken lip without force. "Should I believe you?"

"If believing would please thee, lord." Blair sighed against Jim's lingering finger.

"What would please me is your honesty, little wizard."

Blair drew a shuddering breath. "I...I fear thy warriors will find me...unsuitable, lord. I would na bring thee shame."

Jim's fingers closed on Blair's forearms, drawing the smaller man up on his toes and then dangling in the air as he rose to eye level with the big warrior. "You bring me shame with your doubts, little wizard. You are my chosen mate. My chosen mate, do you hear. Chosen by me and no one else because I desire it. My warriors, mercenaries all, are wise to the way of men. They will find no fault in you as my bondmate." He glared into Blair's owl eyed stare. "You understand? There is no shame in our sharing our bodies with one another. Only in doubting what we do together. We are bonded, little wizard. Our lives share the same path because we desire it. Do ou agree, my own sweet bondmate? Do you?"

His eyes gleamed with unshed tears as Blair nodded, "Aye, milord."

Jim's lips quirked into a satisfied smile. "We will do well together, little wizard." he said, sliding Blair back down to the floor slowly, savoring the sweet press of clothed flesh over clothes flesh. "In the public rooms." A wicked grin spread over his face and he rocked his hips against Blair's letting the smaller man feel his stiff flesh. "And in our private quarters."

Blair swallowed hard, his blue gaze smoldering. "Aye, lord." He lifted his lips to meet Jim's claiming kiss with a welcoming sigh of pleasure.


END PART 1