TITLE: THE PRINCE REGENT

AUTHOR: PEJA

FANDOM: THE SENTINEL

RATING

PAIRING: BLAIR/JIM.....why is it always written Jim/Blair???

SUMMARY: AU, the youthful prince of the elves, Blair, acquires a new possession

DISCLAIMER: I keep them in a gilded cage with the rest of my muses. I don't have to give them back, they don't want to go back...their having to much fun.

AUTHOR'S EMAIL: daltonavon@yahoo.com

FEEDBACK: The boys say you best if you want more. They've developed a stubborn streak

SERIES: depends

AUTHOR'S WEBSITE: https://www.squidge.org/~peja

ARCHIVE: To the WWOMB and PEJA's Fanfic. Others are welcome to it, but please ask first so I now where it's going.

THE PRINCE REGENT

By PEJA

 

"Highness?"

Blair's delicate fingers strummed his lute's strings in a mournful melody, not looking up.

"Highness, please." Simon said again, louder this time.

"Leave me." Blair said, his attention never wavering.

"Very well." Simon waved a hand toward the big man, bound and gagged and held in place by two burly guards. "Execute the beast."

The music stopped. Blair swung his legs off the arm of his plush throne and sat up straight. "Belay that."

Hiding a sad smile with a downcast glance, Simon said, "But Highness...."

"What is this all about?" Blair snapped, his blue eyes glowing with suppressed rage. "What is that..." He waved a fine boned hand toward the prisoner. "...That filthy hu-man doing here?"

"The creature was captured on the northern edge of our territory, Highness," Simon said. "The providence mayor thought it would make an excellent gift for you. Tribute, Highness."

"A hu-man?" Blair roared, a mystical wind swirling the young prince's flowing curls "I am given a....a hu-man as tribute?"

Tag-gart has always been an arrogant bastard, Highness. It is why you favor him."

Blair's smile didn't reach his tortured eyes. "You may be right." He set his lute on a nearby table and glided down the four steps of his raised throne. "It is....suffiencently restrained?"

"Yes, Highness. You are in no danger."

Blair wandered around the bound man, cataloging the broad shoulders, the tapered waist and bulging muscles in tightly tied arms and legs. "The hu-mans? They are all shorn like this one?" he asked, touching the buzz cut wheat hair.

The captive jerked away, earning a fisted blow to his face by one of the guards. The man fell heavily and curled into a protective ball on the carpeted floor.

"Stop." Blair roared, halting the guard mid-swing in a brutal kick.

"Highness?" Simon said.

"Is this how my tribute is treated?" Blair snarled, hunkering down to turn the human gently so he could examine the damage done. "Gods....." he croaked, seeing for the first time the battered features. "This creature has been brutalized. Who did this?"

"The hu-man was not receptive to his capture, Highness." The second guard said. "It had to be violently subdued."

"And this..." Blair waved a had at the man huddled at his feet. "This is the end result?

Simon shrugged. "It's only a hu-man. Tag-gart thought you might be amused in extracting revenge for the death of you betrothed on this creature."

Blair jerked to his feet, the cyclonic winds of his anger whipping around the throne room. "You would have me torture this beast for what others of it's kind did? You dishonor Maya with the mere mention of this idea."

Simon bowed low. "Apologies, Highness."

Blair nodded once and turned back to the injured human.

He reached out a hand toward the beast. The human's blue eyes widened and he quivered, but held his ground. There was courage in the face of fear in this one. Admirable in one of this creatures kind.

Blair said, traced a cut, thick with caked blood, over the beast's high forehead. "Send for the healer?"

"Highness?"

"The healer. Send for the Queen Mother now, advisor. Then leave me with my new....pet."

"Highness, you can not keep it alive."

Blair rocketed to his feet, the winds back stronger than ever. "You dare tell me what I can and can not do?"

"No, Highness," Simon denied. "I would never..."

"Right. Do as I command, advisor. Bring the Queen Mother to me. Now."

CHAPTER TWO

Naomi whirled into the emptied throneroom on a breeze of spring flowers and summer rain. "La, sweet prince, why have you summoned me in such a rush? You know how I hate to be rushed, child mine? What can be so...." her rambling words cut of sharply as she saw the human. A look of timid curiosity whispered across her animated features. "A hu-man?" she whispered, tilting her head for a better look. "Oh, it's been injured. Poor beast. Who has done this to the animal?"

"That's not important, mom," Blair smiled gently, reaching a hand toward his frail mother. "I beg you. Will you heal the creature?"

"Heal it?" Naomi clapped her hands excitedly, scurrying forward.

The human cringed away, scampering into the closest corner. Fear and pain battled for dominance in his clouded blue eyes just before he ducked his head into the corner, protecting himself from the gods only knew what.

"Mom, go slow." Blair said. "Wait there a minute." He approached the human with slow, cautious steps. "Easy, now. No one is going to hurt you, hu-man.," he said softly.

Reaching the shuddering creature, Blair eased down on his haunches and lightly touched the beast's arm. The hu-man cried out and tried to roll into a tighter ball against the wall.

"No, hu-man," Blair cooed. "You are safe. Do you understand? Safe."

"Undo his bonds, my son," Naomi advised. "He is terrified. You need to give him a sign of good faith."

Blair's head jerked around. "Mom, you are not to mind link this creature. It's a wild beast. Undoubtedly a predator."

"If you think it is so dangerous why have you dismissed your guard?" the Queen mother demanded. "Have you decided this creature would be a good way to end the royal line? You're words are silly when compared to your actions."

Blair had the grace to blush, but hid it behind his hair as he bent to untie the trembling hu-man. It was slow work since he spaced the deed with soft caresses. And even softer words of reassurance. By the time the beast's hands were untied, he had raised his head and was watching the young prince with less frightened eyes.

Blair smiled. "He's calmer, mom. I'm going to leave his legs tied, just to be safe. You can come closer now. But slowly. Don't make him think you are a danger to him.

Naomi crept forward and knelt beside the watchful human. "Oh, such a lovely beast," she whispered, her delicate hand eased out to touch the animal's face. "And so mistreated. How can anyone do something like this to a poor defenseless beast."

"Hu-man's are far from defenseless, mom. They are brutal predators in the wild."

"Not all of them."

"You think not?" the young prince challenged. "Release him from your mind link....."

"I'm not...."

"Mom, don't lie. I know when you lie."

Naomi smiled brightly. "Then I ask again, why have you dismissed your guard? If you fear this hu-man, why endanger yourself."

Blair's hands waved helplessly in the air. "I don't know. There is something about him. For some reason I know this hu-man will not hurt us. Will be important to me somehow."

Naomi tilted a sideways glance toward her son. "You sense that, do you? Beware, young prince. If the advisors hear you speaking of senses beyond your range, you will be in danger from a more powerful source than this one damaged hu-man."

Blair chuckled. "The advisors will never hear it from me. I like my position way to much to give it up for such stupidity." He smoothed his hand over the hu-man's quivering arm. "Can you help him?"

"It will not be easy, Blair. The beast bleeds inside." Naomi's hand glowed over Jim's stomach.

"No..." The hu-man tried to curl away from the non-touch.

Blair cupped the beast's face forcing him to meet his gentle gaze. "Easy, hu-man. It's all right. You are safe. Do you understand? Safe."

"Safe?" the hu-man spoke softly.

"It's a mimic. How nice for you." Naomi said, the glow growing in intensity.

"Hurts."

Blair laughed. "Not a mimic, mom. A translator. The hu-man is knowing of the Elfin language."

"Yes, I heard," Naomi said grimly, folding her hands in heir lap. "And he knows your secret. You must destroy him before he speaks out of turn."

The hu-man's eyes darted from queen to prince. "You.....protected me.....Not betray....you."

Blair caressed the strangely alien face, grinning widely. "Heal the creature, mom. I command it."

"Blair..."

"You are touching his mind. You know he is worthy of our trust. Heal him if you can."

Naomi nodded, then returned her glowing hands to the beast's stomach. "If you betray my son's trust, I will give you a death that can not be imagined." she told the beast.

The creature nodded. "I pledge...to the master."

The glow intensified. Lines of pain flickered over her delicate features and eased in the hu-man's as the empath took the injuries within herself.

CHAPTER THREE

Blair paced back and forth before the bed, watching the hu-man who slept on his bed. "Mom, you said it would recover quickly. It's been sleeping for hours now. Has something gone wrong, do you think?"

"Let the creature rest, my dear one. He's been through a lot. He needs to...."

The hu-man stirred, groaning.

Grinning, Blair flew across the room to plop down at the creature's side.

"Blair, no...."

The hu-man cringed away from the eager young elf, rolling in on himself and covering his head with his arms.

"Hu-man?" Blair gingerly touched the trembling arm nearest him. "You are safe." He eased the man back over onto his back and smiled broadly down into the pallid features. "I know you understand me, hu-man."

The creature nodded, once, his eyes wide and locked on the elf prince looming over him.

"How are you feeling?" Blair asked, running his hands down the creature's arms and legs. "You're injuries? They have healed?"

The beast stared up in silence.

"You really must try to answer me, hu-man." Blair assumed a regal air. "After all, I am your prince and master now."

The man's eyes narrowed and his lip curled. "Not....my prince."

Blair tilted his head, frowning. "You swore allegiance. You pledged to me. Is the word of a hu-man worth less that the dust in the air?"

The hu-man shifted, leaning up on his elbows. "You're kind are mortal enemy of mine."

"Only because no one wants to make an effort." Blair traced the man's jawline, a shy smile touching his generous lips. "What is your name, pretty one?"

The man flinched away, anger sparking dark flames in his eyes. "How long do I have left to live?"

A pout puckered Blair's forehead. "How long do any of us have, hu-man? Who can say when our time on this plane will end?"

"God's save me. You are quite insane." The hu-man whispered.

A slight breeze stirred the air, ruffling through Blair's long curls. "Mother, leave us."

"Blair...."

The wind picked up by a couple notches. "I said, leave us."

Naomi gathered up her skirts and dashed from the room without another word.

"You," Blair said, turning back toward the creature in his bed. "...Are rude."

"Is that so?"

"Most definitely."

The creature smiled slowly. "Jim."

A confused look crossed over Blair's features. "What?"

"I am called Jim. Jim, of the clan Ellison."

Blair's lips formed an O and he nodded. "What are you doing wandering in the Elf Territories?"

A shudder took him. "I have enemies. Human enemies."

"Why would one of your own kind seek to harm you?"

Jim fell silent, slumping back into the soft pillows. Blair refused to be put off, leaning on the big man's chest, he let his curls curtain them both from the world. "Why?"

"Because, like you, I rule in my land." Jim sighed. "My second is...ambitious."

"Ambition I understand," Blair murmured. "I am sorry you have been brought into slavery." He brightened suddenly, and dropped a kiss on the creature's lips. "But I am not sorry you are here."

Jim stared, open-mouthed up at the grinning elf, then shook his head. "Too weird, little Elf. You are just too weird."

The grinned widened. "Think so. Wait till you hear what I'm thinking."

CHAPTER FOUR

"You can't be serious." Jim sputtered, his long legs carrying him around and around the room in a kinetic frenzy. "I won't do it. I won't. Do you hear me?"

Blair's hair rustled in the slight breeze of his own rising anger. "You don't have any choice."

"The hell I don't." Jim's frantic pacing brought him to a halt before the smaller elfin creature, his hands on his hips. "I'm a man, dammit. Not some kind of pet you can...."

"But you are a pet," Blair snapped, The winds picking at his vest. "Here you are nothing more than a beast to be petted or destroyed. Here you obey or die."

That deflated the prideful man and he moved to turn away, saying, "Then... I'll die."

Blair captured Jim's forearm, whirling the bigger man around with deceptive strength. "You find my plan that repulsive?" he roared. "You find me that repulsive?"

"No....Oh, god, no," Jim hurried to assure him. "You are beautiful, elf."

Blair's smile lit the room. "You think I'm beautiful?"

"I'm not blind." Jim said softly.

A look of confusion darkened Blair's open features. "Then...why? Why refuse me?"

Jim ruffled his shorn hair. "It won't work, Blair. The feud between our peoples have gone on forever. How can you possibly imagine this...." He waved a frustrated hand. "....This plan would work? I'm not that important. Just a small lord in a backwater region of the outback...Hardly anything in the scheme of power in my world. And you...."

"I am prince of all my people." Blair finished.

"Exactly. If you went through with this...insanity....your people would depose you. You would lose everything..And for what...?"

Blair tilted him a curious glance. "This would concern you? If I were to lose my crown?"

"Over this nonsense? How can you ask?"

"You are Hu-man. Why would it concern one of your kind what happened to an elf?"

Jim shied uncomfortably. "You saved my life, Highness. I don't count that short."

"Yet you deny me what I desire. Even if I decree it payment for your life."

Jim blanched. "Put that way, I would be honor bond to accept."

"Honor is important to you. That is rare among your kind."

"What do you know about it?" Jim seethed.

"I know through past history. I know from what has gone before in our dealings with your kind. I know...."

"And feeling this way, you dare set forth this plan to me?"

Blair hesitated, suddenly confused. "I...." He nibbled at his lower lip, then straightened his spine arrogantly. "It is my will. You will obey."

"But....why?" Jim asked. "Why this?"

Blair shrugged. "I should know? Suffice to say, I like the idea. Nothing more, nothing less." But the determined glint in his eyes bespoke a stronger reason.

Jim shook his head. "Don't ask me to do this."

"I don't ask, Hu-man. I command it. You will wed with me this very night. Before the sun rises, I will seal the troth." Blair directed an authoritative hand toward the human creature. "Make yourself ready for my pleasure, bond-mate. I expect you will not disgrace yourself and me by rebelling against my command."

Jim's head dropped. "As you command, Highness."

Smiling, Blair gathered the larger man in his arms and drew his head down, sealing their pledge with a chaste kiss.

Jim remained stiff in the young prince's embrace, back-stepping away as soon as he was released. Blair frowned, tracing the bigger man's flexing jaw.

"You resent me commanding you thusly?"

Jim shrugged, keeping his hostile gaze lowered.

"You may speak freely, pet."

Jim remained silent.

"James...?"

Jim sighed. "I have nothing to say, Highness."

"Nothing to say?" Blair said, his blue eyes glowing. "I saved your worthless life, and in return you rebuke my embrace. Your lips are like those of the dead under mine. Yet you said I am beautiful." A stricken look crossed his face. "Is it because I am an elf?"

"Oh, no. don't ever think that."

"What else am I to think?" Blair demanded. "I desire you. I believe you want me to. So why do you fight my command."

Jim's glance was one of absolute pain. "You are a man." Jim said. "In my world, men do not sleep with men. what you are asking goes against my most basic beliefs."

Blair tilted his head, his luscious lips pursed. "You speak the language of the Elves."

"What does that have to do with it?" Jim demanded, his frustration gleaming from blue eyes.

"Is there anyone else in your bloodline that has this...gift?"

Jim crossed his arms over his having chest. "What the hell does that have to do with anything? With what we were discussing?"

Blair hopped off the desk where he'd been perched and scampered around the room like a child at play. "Answer." he chanted. "Answer. Answer. Is there another in your bloodline with the gift?"

"You're insane," Jim whispered, watching the smaller man dance around the room.

Blair came to a halt before him, his hands on his hips. He lifted hard eyes to Jim's. "Answer."

"No..." Jim rasped. "No one."

"And in your household? Was it spoken there?"

"No..."

A softening smile lit up Blair's features and he cupped Jim's cheek. "I will love you like no other, Brother."

Confusion darkened Jim's haggard features. "Brother?"

"Oh yes, Jim of the Ellison clan." Blair said in a quiet voice. "Have you never wondered how you came to know our words?"

"Why would it?" Jim wanted to know. "I speak and understand. That is how it has been from the beginning."

Blair skipped around the room, wrapping his arms around his waist. "You have the blood, Brother." He laughed heartily. "You have the blood of the Elves running in your hu-man body."

"That's impossible."

Blair turned back toward the Hu-man creature, his hair blowing in a fresh wind. "You dare contest my word?"

"I think I would know..."

"Only the Elves speak the one true language. For you to be a natural translator, you must have the blood of the true race." Blair said firmly. "The woman who gave you life laid with one of my kind. You are not completely hu-man."

Jim stared aghast. "This is....impossible. My mother....No, I won't hear this."

Blair shrugged, turning away. "Hear what pleases you, Jim Ellison."

"Highness..."

"Hmm.....?"

"Highness, please....."

Blair turned back to him. Tilting his head, he slanted a grim glance up. "What?"

Jim scrubbed his face with his hands. "My mother....What you said....She...." His words ran out and he slumped down into a nearby chair.

"What do you need to ask me, Jim?"

"My mother....She disappeared shortly after I was born." Jim rasped. "My father said she ran away with..."

"A lover?"

Jim nodded. "But, I heard rumors."

Blair stepped nearer, waiting.

Jim remained silent a long time, then "The staff said she....went back to the nomad lands. To the land of her birth. That my father stole her away from her people because she brought him...." a harsh sob broke on the last word, "...Power."

"Ah, pet," Blair gathered the hu-man in a sweet embrace and Jim clung to him. "Its all right, Jim."

"I always thought..." Jim murmured into Blair's curls. "I was the reason she left."

"And why would that be, sweet one? How would you be thinking you could drive you own sweet mom away?"

He sobbed harshly now. "She said to stop. That it was dangerous." Jim babbled. "Said I would call attention. But I didn't listen."

"What? What didn't you listen about."

"The words." Jim spat. "I spoke your people's words from birth. I wouldn't stop. I.....liked the horror I saw in the eyes of the other children. I liked to see my father's shocked reactions when I spoke." he quieted suddenly. "Until she left."

Blair rocked the distraught man, listening to his breathing slow to normal.

"I think my father killed her."

Chapter Five

A light playful bouncing stride carried Blair into the dining hall with his precious hu-man donned out in the finest silks and satins at his heel. He paused, head tilted high, to survey the royal court gathered there by royal decree, then with quiet command, drew Jim to his side, lacing his fingers in the bigger man's hand.

Low whispers rippled through the room as he lead his pet to sit at his left side. The seat that had remained empty for several months. The seat that had been Maya's. The seat of the betrothed.

Another louder ripple of discord washed like a wave over the room, only to be silenced by a quick wind rustling the gathered court's hair.

No one dared face the anger of the regent.

Blair pointed to several dishes spread over the table and a server sprang to spoon out his portions. He selected a sliver of grilled steak and leaned toward Jim. "Open," he said softly.

Jim turned sad eyes on his master. "Look, maybe I should ....."

Blair closed the distance between them, silencing him with a kiss. "You will obey me, consort." his words were a breath between them. He leaned back, grinning widely. "Now open."

Jim's mouth dropped open and Blair slipped the flavorful morsel between his teeth. Jim chewed, staring into the bluest eyes he'd ever dreamt of drowning in.

"Good?"

Jim nodded.

Blair spooned out a portion for him, then proceeded to offer Jim a bit of each of the things on his own plate before serving the man at his side with his own hands.

The members of the court watched in stunned disbelief.

Jim stared at his hands, unmoving, feeling the angry stares like a thousand points of laser light ripping into his skin.

Blair began eating, sparing not a glance toward the assembled court. He did however notice the trembling man beside him.

Leaning back in his chair, he watched Jim for a long moment. A frown darkened his lively features and he lifted his glance to the assembly. "Who dares frighten my chosen one?"

The words were spoken softly, but carried on a rippling wave of air that warned of his rising temper.

Heads ducked, avoiding stormy blue eyes that seemed to see everything, until only one gaze remained solid and strong under him. "You're chosen one?" Naomi asked breathlessly.

Blair tilted a smile toward his mother. "Can you think of a better replacement for my betrothed. The Hu-mans stole her from my side. The hu-mans sent this nobleman in her place."

"But it is a.... hu-man...."

"Jim is half hu-man. His mother was of our race. How else would you explain his being a translator."

"Translator?" Simon demanded. "The beast understands our words?"

"My consort," Blair emphasized. "Speaks our words as well as you."

"But a breed?" Simon began. "Highness...."

"Our union will be consummated this very night, Simon."

"Oh no...I..." Jim rasped, paling.

Blair silenced him with a glance. "I said tonight. And I mean tonight." He pointed toward Jim's untouched plate. "You haven't touched your sup, my sweet." He cupped Jim's chin, stealing a tender kiss. "My hunger is strong. For you." He pressed an orange section on the man. "Eat. You will need your strength.

Jim nearly choked as the words set in.

Simon chuckled, reclining back in his seat. "The hu-man is as nervous as a virgin bride." He suddenly sat up straight. "Gods of the fairies. A virgin? The hu-man is a virgin."

Blair tilted his chin, grinning. "He brings me a precious gift, does he not?"

"Highness," Rafe said, drawing the assembly's attention. "You can not. The prophecy..."

"Silence," Blair said, his eyes flashing.

"But...."

A strong wind rumbled through the hall. "I said silence."

"But...."

"I am tired of fighting between our peoples," Blair snapped. "I welcome the peace this union promises."

"Peace...." Simon shuddered. "With the hu-mans. The thought is staggering."

"There will be opposition from the warrior class," Naomi said. "This could well tear our lands apart."

"Or it could heal the age-old rift between hu-mans and the true people."

"My people won't bend to peace easy either," Jim murmured. "Highness, have you thought this out clearly?"

Blair grinned, ruffling Jim's neatly trimmed hair. "You squirm for escape even now, my own. But to no avail. This very evening..."

"Highness, please...." Jim ducked his head, his cheeks glowing pink.

Simon's belly laugh filled the court. "The hu-man is a source of great amusement, Highness. I for one welcome his addition to the halls."

Blair slanted him a frown. "You dare laugh at my chosen one?"

Simon chuckled, nodding. "For truth, I do."

"Even if it means your head?"

Simon sketched a courtly bow. "For you, Highness, I would gladly bear my loss of head with grace becoming my elfin station."

Blair laughed, sprawling back in his chair. "You amuse me greatly, advisor. I think, this time, your head will be spared."

"And pleased I am for that, Highness." Simon said.

The tension that had been building in the halls was dispelled, replaced by healing laughter.

"If the regent is to take a mate," Rafe said, lifting high his glass. "I would be the first of many to wish him and the chosen one many earthly delights."

Around the hall, the elves came, one by one, then more eagerly to their feet and raised their glasses. "Many earthly delights." filled the air and glasses were dashed against the walls to be replaced by scurrying servers.

Blair's blue gaze skipped over his court watching the court antics grow more and more excited and smiled. His delicate hand reached out and closed over Jim's clenched fist. Jim met his sparkling gaze.

"We have successfully jumped the first hurdle, my own," Blair said, smiling as the tight hand uncurled and laced desperately with his own. "Put aside your fears, my pet. All will be well. You will see."

Jim nodded, but his blue gaze darkened with dark dread.

 

 

THE END OR CONTINUE????

Could Jim be right about his father?
Could Blair be right about Jim's lineage?
How will the Elf Kingdom react to a hu-man consort to the royal?

You tell me...