On the Wings of Never 2

By Peja

Fandom: Xfiles

Series: Part 2 of The Wings Series

Rating:

Pairing:

Summary:

Disclaimer: Not mine.

 

ON THE WINGS OF TRUTH

By PEJA

Scully shoved to her feet, leaving the creature staring at nothing behind her as she waved Mulder toward the kitchenette. "I don’t know what to think, Mulder," she said, pumping a drop of liquid soap in to her hands and working it into a lather. "Provided he’s not faking, he’s going to need 24 hour care." She plunged her hands under the warm, running water and scrubbed away the lather. "I’ll make arrangements for him to be taken to a clinic I know about," she ended, snatching up a hand towel and drying away the damp.

"No."

A frown crossed her elfin features and she stabbed him with her hard stare. "No?"

"No, Scully," Mulder said firmly. "No clinic."

"What then," she tried reason. "Mulder, I suspect that man isn’t able to manage the most basic functions. He’s filthy, battered, more than half starved.... He needs constant care just to survive." She frowned at the stubborn set of her partner’s face. "Mulder, are you listening to me? He’s as close to starvation as you can get and still survive. He’s dehydrated. His condition needs to be monitored."

"No clinic."

"Mulder....."

"Scully, if we put him in a clinic he’d be abducted out of it, or killed, before the ink was dried on the registration paperwork." He crossed his arms over his chest. "No clinic."

"Well, what then?" Scully demanded, storming back into the living room. "Look at him," she snapped, waving a frenzied arm at the near catatonic creature. "He can’t do anything for himself."

"He’s been able to come here every night for a month, Scully, " Mulder argued. "He’s kept one step ahead of the Consortium and still shown up here right on time every damn night."

"He’s got a chance of recovery at a clinic."

"He’s dead before we walk out the door."

"So what do you want to do with him?"

Mulder teased her with an arched brow and a crooked half-smile.

"Oh no, Mulder. No. You can’t keep him." She screamed, her arms flailing the air.

"Why not?"

Scully sputtered, searching desperately for words that would convince her stubborn partner. "He’s not a puppy you found on the street," She finally shouted in his face.

Moaning his fear, the creature that had been Krycek shuddered, drawing his legs up against his chest as if to hide himself.

"Now look what you’ve gone and done." Mulder brushed past Scully, hurled a furious glare her way and cautiously approached the wounded soul. "Its okay, Krycek." He murmured, easing down on the sofa next to the other man and drawing the trembling body against his chest. "You’re safe, Krycek. I’ve got you. I’ve got you."

Krycek resisted the arms around him for a moment, then settled against Mulder’s chest, his haunted gaze locked on Scully.

"Its okay, Krycek," Mulder crooned against the younger man’s matted hair. "I won’t let the mean lady hurt you."

Hurling her most dangerous scowl at Mulder, Scully pulled her cell out of her pocket. "I can’t believe I’m falling for this again," she grumbled. Catching the wide grin that ghosted over Mulder’s face at her murmurings, she scowled even darker and punched in a number on the phone. "You go get him cleaned up while I make some arrangements."

Mulder arched his brow quizzically.

"Well, you’re going to need some things if you really intend to keep him."

Chuckling, Mulder gave the man in his arms a friendly squeeze. "See, Krycek, she’s not as bad as she pretends."

The wounded creature turned his head into the protection of Mulder’s chest, shutting out Scully as effectively as if he’d slammed a door against her

 

(3)

 

"Come on, Krycek," Mulder coaxed, plucking at the top button of the younger man’s shirt. "Clothes off."

A dirt matted head shook and Krycek back-pedaled into the farthest corner of the tiny bathroom.

‘Krycek, no ones gonna hurt ya," Mulder promised. "You’ll feel better once you wash that dirt and....." His hazel eyes roamed over the smaller man, his nose wrinkling at the noxious scents clinging to the broken soul before him. "whatever that is all over you."