Title: NIGHT OF THE WOLF 2: BAD MOON ON THE RISE

Author/pseudonym: PEJA

Fandom: THE SENTINEL/THE HOWLING

Pairing: Blair/someone somewhere in the series

Rating: R: for bunny blood and gore

Status: new/complete

Archive: The WWOMB/PEJA's Ravings/The Transformations Archive(when I get it started)

Feedback: it's the only way this series continues.

E-mail: daltonavon@yahoo.com

Series/Sequel: Night Of the Wolf series

Other websites:
https://www.squidge.org/~peja/

Disclaimers: Petfly owns Jim and Blair...Haven't a clue who owns The Howling so I sneaked them out of the closet to play...wanna get caught in the middle???

Notes: I'm borrowing the Howling concept, not necessarily the characters, so if no one sound family it's cuz I made up the wolfie boys

Summary: Like the name says, there's a bad moon on the rise and Blair's fears come to full bloom

Warnings: No plot bunnies were killed in the creation of this bit....well, maybe the WereBlair one, but.....

 

NIGHT OF THE WOLF 2
BAD MOON ON THE RISE

By PEJA

 

"Blair?"

The young man turned slowly away from his silent appraisal of the setting sun. A dark brow crept up, the only sign that he'd heard. It was an uncomfortable reminder of how many changes had enveloped the usually vivacious anthro since the attack.

"Blair, how long are you going to stand there. You've been preoccupied all day."

Blair cocked his head shrugging.

"Listen Chief, I'm here, you know. If you want to talk or...." Jim's hands waved helplessly in the air. "Anything.."

Blair's blue eyes narrowed. "Why?"

A frown pinched Jim's brow and he shook his head. "Why? What do you mean...why?"

"Why talk?" Blair turned back toward the setting sun, feeling the restlessness he'd been experiencing move inside his chest. "You'll just pat me on the head and smile and pray I come back to my senses soon. Same as last time. And the time before. Same as always."

"That's not fair, Chief."

Rage colored Blair's face. "No...? Do you believe me, Jim?"

Jim winced under an intense blue glare, holding his tongue.

"No, you're looking for a wolf pack. In Cascade, for God's sake. One that only comes out a few days a month." Blair stalked toward the door. "I am so out of here." he darted through the door, slamming it behind him, leaving a worried and confused detective in the loft.

Hitting the street, Blair raced his demons, not knowing where. Not even caring where he was going. Running where his feet took him.

He didn't slow until he crossed through the park gates.

Panting from his desperate dash, he moved deeper into the shady, treed area.

It came upon him slowly at the beginning. His skin tingled, began to itch. His muscles rippled spastically, nerves screamed, pain spiked.

Blair crumpled to his knees, whimpering, struggling to block out the horror...the fears that had plagued him the weeks since the attack.

His blue gaze darted to the hands supporting him. Hands he knew from long familiarity. Hands that he no longer recognized in their furred glory. "Oh, God, no..."

Another electric wave pulsed through his system, pushed into every cell in his body by burning blood. The screams of the lost souls poured from his throat, ending in a melancholy lone wolf's bay.

"There," a male voice, full of triumph filtered through the blinding agony. "Hear him? This way...." Pounding feet headed toward Blair, igniting a new terror in him.

Whimpering, Blair stumbled to his feet. Supported himself on malformed legs, he scrambled deeper into the wooded area, fleeing for his life. Slipping, catching himself, moving in a body that was no longer his own.

A broken tree limb reached out to snag him and he went down hard, hitting his head against a rock. Stars danced before his eyes.

He shook his head, clearing his vision and instantly wished he'd stayed in the fuzz. His nightmare moved in on him slowly.

A quick cowering glance confirmed he was surrounded, captured.

"Don't hurt me..." he rasped.

"Easy, cub," one of the men said, smiling and reaching out a cautious hand toward the still transforming man.

Blair crab-walked backward, encountering hard flesh.

"No," he whimpered as hands came down on his shoulders. "Don't..." He buried his head in his arms.

"Easy. Calm down now," The man's soothing words were spoken in a rich Australian accent. "We've come to bring you home, cub." he added, stroking Blair's thick curls.

Blair dared a wide-eyed peek. "Home?"

The man smile, nodding. "I'm Derek, leader of this pack. We heard what happened and came for you."

"You're not the ones who...." Blair's hands floundered in the air.

"No, cub," Derek murmured, smiling. "That was another pack. A rogue pack. I had thought..." he shrugged. "We take care of the cubs."

"I'm not a cub...."

The man chuckled, lifting Blair's furred hand with an equally furred one of his own. "You are now, cub. You are now."

Blue eyes lifted from their joined hands and encountered black ones. "Oh, God, this can't be happening. Please, tell me this isn't happening."

Derek shook his head. "I'm so sorry, Blair. This should never have been done. It violates the laws of our kind. The risk...."

Blair's head lifted, his nostrils scenting the air. A low growl whispered past his lips and his features lengthened, became more and more canine, flourished. He scrambled to his feet, tongue lolling.

"No, cub," Derek snapped, restraining Blair with a taloned hand on his forearm.

Blair swung a feral glare at the manbeast. "I am hungry."

"No, Blair," Derek growled. "We do not attack humans. Weren't you listening?"

Blair's eyes flashed. He wriggled out of Derek's grasp, his lip curling. "I was attacked."

Derek nodded. "By a rogue pack."

A second manbeast chuckled. "The cub has teeth. Best watch he doesn't challenge your leadership of the pack, Derek."

Derek's laugh was a curiously barking sound in the darkness. "The cub may well do that...given time." His dark gaze flicked back, toward the pebbled walk. "The humans are coming close. Move deeper into the grove."

"I'm hungry," Blair rasped again. "I want..."

"We brought you food." Derek's long fingers curled around Blair's forearm steering him toward the dark seclusion. Once past the danger of discovery, Derek released the glowering anthro and held out a hand to one of the manbeasts with him.

The manbeast reached into a duffel, dragging out a squirming bundle of soft fur. Derek took the bunny and dangled it before Blair's leery eyes. "Not human, but it fits our needs."

"You want me to kill a bunny?" Blair demanded. "A bunny?"

"The alternative doesn't bear considering. It's this, or nothing. We won't let you take the humans."

Blair glared at the quivering animal. "But it's a bunny," he whispered.

Derek smiled sympathetically. "First blood is always the hardest, cub."

Blair hesitated a long moment, indecision wavering in his eyes.

"Eat, young one," Derek coaxed bringing the creature closer to Blair.

A low growl parted his lips and he snatch the terrified animal up. Lengthened jaws snapped. The animal shrieked once, shortly leaving only the sounds of cracking bones and gulping.

"More," Blair demanded, licking his blood drenched fingers.

Several deaths later, Blair leaned back on his haunches, smacking his lips.

"Enough?" Derek asked.

Blair's wolf features twisted into a animalistic grin. "Bunny tartar. It's an interesting concept." His head cocked. "You knew I'd come here, didn't you?"

"For the rebirth?" Derek nodded. "Yes."

"How?"

"Your accident....Where it happened...Who you were...It was all very well documented. Hazard of the game when you are a well known police advisor, I suppose. The papers gave us all the information we needed to know. Even alerted us to what was to come."

"That is supposed to answer the question?"

"Feisty brat." Derek gave him a playful cuff. "The reborn always return to the place they were created for the first transformation."

Blair's lips curled distastefully. "Like salmon returning to were they were born, nice."

"You have no idea how strongly this instinct plays in our survival. All our newly reborn waken to the hunger you felt. Those who are not gathered into the pack kill haphazardly, just as you would have attacked and killed that couple out for a harmless romantic tryst. Unfortunately, the humans have a nasty habit of taking revenge for the slaughter of their own. Our species would be extinct without the guidance of the elders to protect the cubs."

"So what are you telling me? That you're some sort of search and rescue team for infant werewolves.?"

Derek howled a wolfish laugh. "Tonight, we are....something like that, yes."

Blair's animal features formed an almost human frown. "But there is more, isn't there? You came looking for me, yeah. Kept my ass out of hot water, and I'm grateful, but I'm not the only one you were hoping to find here, am I? You thought the others would come for me, didn't you?"

Derek's black gaze burned. "The pack that attacked you endangers our race, cub. They must be assimilated....or eliminated."

"Eliminated?" Blair's head jerked up. "You're here to kill them? Like a hit squad?"

"Would you consider what your police detective does murder?"

"Jim doesn't go looking to kill anyone. It's just that sometimes, in law enforcement...."

Derek's brow arched. "Yes?"

Blair chuckled. "You're cops? Is that what you're telling me?"

Derek bowed. "Special Enforcement Agent Derek Jameson, at your service." As he straightened, his wolf characteristics fluxed, reshaped and became human from the waist up.

Blair's eyes widened, his amazed gaze sliding over the beautiful features of the man before him. "Holy crud, the wolf squad."

"I would prefer," Derek minced regally. "Not to be called a..." his lips curled "Wolf squad."

Blair chuckled. "Can I do that?"

Confusion flickered in black eyes. "Do...what?

"Change back and forth like that."

Derek nodded. "Concentrate on being human, cub."

Blair's eyes narrowed. "Is it gonna hurt like before?"

"You are afraid of pain?"

"Well, lets just say it's not one of my favorite things to experience."

Derek smiled. "There will be no pain. Now, change, so we can get to work."

"Work?" Blair asked, his brow scrunched in rapt concentration. His body tingled warmly and he peeked through long lashes, watching his hands return to the well-formed hands of old "What kind of work?" he asked, standing proudly human once more.

"You, cub, are going to help us find the rogues." Derek laid a hand on Blair's cheek. "After all, it is what you do as a human. It will continue to be what you do as a were."

THE END
BAD MOON ON THE RISE