Title: WICKED MANOEVRES

Author/pseudonym: Creed Cascade

Fandom: Original Fiction

Pairing: Redwald and Edmund, Judith

Rating: PG-13, some pretty tame sex here. m/m, m/f. Only for good open-minded adults, please. Beware m/m ahead and some scenes of violence.

Status: new, on going series

Archive: If you want it, go ahead…just let me know.

Feedback: Creed_Cascade@hotmail.com

Series/Sequel: Series, Sequel (forth coming?)

Other websites: n/a

Disclaimers: They belong to me, I made them completely up in my head.

Notes: This is original fiction made up in my head. I love to study history and it my attempt with this series to challenge traditional notions. Everyone forgets that everyone throughout have always been human smut. This story is set in medieval Europe, I could give you all the details, but that would be pretty boring, eh? Enjoy and don't laugh to hard. Just remember I wrote this before I even heard of slash fiction.

Summary: There's an arranged marriage and everyone is scheming.

Warnings: alternate universe, some scenes of violence



WICKED MANOEVRES
Written By Creed Cascade


Judith was surprised when the supposedly virile Edmund could not stay hard. Here she was ready to perform her nuptial obligation and he was the one acting like a virgin. Not that Judith was a virgin. She had lost that honour to her first husband, at the age of fourteen. She found it amusing that seven years later she would find the need to play the part of an untouched wench.

When Edmund's sweaty hands grabbed her, she shied away. When his eyes surveyed her naked breasts, she demurely attempted to cover them. It was all a charade. But this charade was supposed to electrify Edmund, not make him limp. After several pained facial expressions, Edmund finally gave up trying to resurrect the dead.

As he stumbled out of the bed he stammered, "I didn't know…I mean this hasn't happened…oh fuck me!"

Judith thought that last part was a little ironic.

***Men always seem to over react when it came to this particular part of their anatomy.***

Looking down at her own exposed breasts, she could never imagine getting that excited over anything they did.

"Where are you going Edmund?" Judith's lips quivered.

He stumbled as he tried to pull his pants up and shove his foot into a toppled boot. He was unsettled by the sound of her voice and stopped mid-pull. His limp member remained uncovered.

"I am leaving. I mean…I can see you are anxious and I don't want to force myself on you," he brashly lied.

A sudden cold draft reminded him to pull up his pants. He grabbed his shirt off the floor and stepped towards the door.

"Edmund…what have I done?! Please…don't leave me tonight," she whined pathetically. Judith had to bite her tongue to keep from laughing.

"Nothing…you've done nothing. I will send in one of the servants. Good night," he said as he rushed out.

Judith didn't even have time to continue with her act and she had no intention of chasing him naked down the hall.

***So, my hunt will continue tomorrow, only the quarry will be a little more elusive.***

This little dance with impotence left Judith alone with the smell of crushed flower pedals and burning candles. She stared a small puddle of milky wax at the base of a candle. Edmund was not in her room, but she had a good notion of where he might be.

***He's most likely be down in the servant's quarters bothering the maids. Maid pilfering is a favourite pass time of noble lords. But, when his horse has already died in battle, how can he expect to mount a second attack?***

Judith's mind was rushing in a state between sleep and disgust.

Images of the battlefield rushed through her head as she drifted off into sleep. She slept through the squeaking of the door opening and the approaching footsteps. Judith groggily awoke to the sound of a wheezing cough. The image of Brunhild's face multiplied with the flutter of her eyelids was enough to wake her up completely.

"I am sorry for disturbing you, Lady Judith. But the young Lord sent me. So did you find tonight's festivities to your liking?" Brunhild cackled with an almost toothless grin, "The new Lord was quick, but I wager he was a bit of a change from that dirty old bugger."

Brunhild wrinkled her forehead as if trying to remember something. "Oh…yes! Forgive me Father for speaking ill of the dead. May he rest in peace," she muttered and automatically crossed herself.

"Lord Trumwine is more like the old bugger than you realize. Stoke the fire. It's chilly in here," she commanded nonchalantly.

"My poor Lady Judith. Tell me what went wrong," asked Brunhild as she efficiently restored the brisk flames.

Judith slapped her hands down on the bed covers in a quasi temper tantrum.

"It's just not fair! I spent days primping and acting like a naive twit and for nothing. Literally nothing!" she complained.

"Oh…so the new Lord was not game for his manly duties?! He is not the first and he will not be last. They are always either too drunk, too old or too disinterested. You take your pick," she stated with no sympathy.

Brunhild was Judith's favourite and most trustworthy servant, but her advice had the bad habit of being too truthful.

***Edmund wasn't drunk and he wasn't that old…so…***

Judith stopped stewing in her own self pity that moment. She had an epiphany. Her mind was racing as she plotted her next action.

Judith was a very practical woman. She did not believe in love, but rather the usefulness of love. Love was a feeling that she could use as an instrument to secure control over her life. If not love, then she could use jealously to help her win her battles. Judith had learned a long time ago that marriage was not meant to foster passion. Rather marriages were arranged for alliances, control of property and the reproduction of legal heirs.

"When you get my clothes ready for tomorrow, I want something stunning…umm…the blue gown," Judith settled as she tucked the bedcovers into a tight cocoon around her body.

Judith was so self-involved that she did not hear Brunhild mutter, "I feel sorry for the new Lord."



PART 2

Morning light streamed from an open window and bounced off Judith's richly garbed body to create an elegant silhouette. A biting smell burned her nostrils as she entered the Great Hall. The remnants of the wedding feast were a repellent mixture of musty ale, roasted boar and vomit. She was so involved with dodging the crap on the floor that she almost walked into someone.

Lord Redwald Whitby was the sole occupant of the Great Hall. His massive frame was reclined in a large oak chair. His feet were resting on one of the many displaced tables. The servants and other guests were still recovering from last night's revelry. Other than a few dark circles under his eyes, he did not have the commonly seen ghostly hue of the morning after.

This hulking beast, with a mass of red hair and unruly beard, towered over normal men. He was everything that Judith did not know about men. He was a man of very few words and yet he had a quality that made you fear what he might say. His silence was sinisterly cryptic.

"Good morning, Lady Trumwine," Lord Whitby said clearly.

***Lady Judith Trumwine? Yes, that is now my new identity.***

It was only a name, but it meant she legally belonged to Edmund now.

She felt that Redwald was menacingly reminding her of this with his simple statement.

"Good morning, Lord Whitby," she said with a delicate smile and a slightly tilted head. She was once again playing the part of a silly tease.

"You are up early for a new bride. I do hope that you are well," he stated candidly.

"It is so kind of you inquire after my welfare. You are looking robust this morning, my Lord. I trust that you had a good night's sleep." Judith was having trouble controlling her temper. Even after years of keeping her true emotions hidden, this man somehow aggravated her!

Judith clasped her hands behind her back to accentuate her modest bust line. She had seen some of the maids do this on occasion and thought it would be attractive bait.

"You are a very virile man, Lord Whitby. I heard the servants say you drank enough ale last night to topple a war horse and you look so alert now. You must be terribly fit to do so," she thought she was being seductively coy.

"Only after years of practise."

Redwald's eyes remained focused on his weathered and crap covered boots. She seductively moved closer to him. Judith ran her hand slowly down his biceps, only to pull quickly away.

"You really are a big man, aren't you?"

She looked down at her feet and giggled. Redwald did not move, but responded by rolling back his eyes.

"You can stop pretending to be something you are not," he said in a monotone, rather bored, tone, "I can plainly see you are not simple or a slut."

Judith pouted, "I really don't understand."

"Oh, that is quite enough. Tell me what this is all about or I will personally drag you to your husband and make him deal with you," he said in an annoyed resonance.

She dropped the ludicrous smile from her face in response. Judith accepted that there would be no playing this game with Redwald.

***Perhaps another form of strategy will be successful. Playing their close friendship against each other might work.***

"How long have you known Edmund?" she asked.

"For many years. Where are you going with this?"

He looked straight into her eyes. Redwald was too straightforward for Judith's taste. He was a contrast to the wise cracking Edmund.

"So then you are good friends then?" Judith asked in the same style as this man. She planned to meet fire with fire.

"You could say that," he said followed by a low huff.

"Then you know that it would be in his own best interest to consummate this marriage. You know that the marriage contact is not legal until I have been bedded. All of this…" she gestured around the room, "…would be and is in danger."

"And you are telling me this because?"

"Simply because I am worried about Edmund. And to tell you the truth I am embarrassed to talk to him about…well…his problem. I thought that you being his friend…you could talk to him for me."

"What problem? And what was with that act of yours?"

Judith shifted from foot to foot, seemingly uncomfortable.

"He wasn't able to finish last night…well you know…it's a man's predicament. I thought that if I complimented you, you would be more disposed to helping me."

Redwald let out a booming laugh that echoed and almost shook the rafters. From a round the corner of the Great Hall, another laugh came in response.

"Redwald, you bleating bastard, I knew I would find you eventually. Where did you go this morning after…"

Edmund turned the corner and entered the Great Hall with a broad smile on his face. He stopped mid-sentence and mid-stride. When he saw Judith and Redwald together, he looked like a trapped animal. He appeared very uncomfortable and nervously looked at Redwald for support.

Redwald took pity and broke the silence, "Your wife was just informing me that you couldn't keep it up last night, Edmund. I think you might find it interesting to know she playing the part of a horny bar maid with me."

***That bastard. He is not playing his part. Too bloody truthful for a man.***

Edmund's right eyebrow went strangely askew.

"What's this all about?" he questionably demanded from Judith.

Suddenly, Judith's face crumbled and tears began to wander the oily crevices beside her nose.

"The truth?" she sniffled, "The truth is I was trying to make you jealous by flirting with Lord Whitby. I thought that if your friend wanted me, then that would make me more attractive to you. I want children and unfortunately, I am not the Virgin Mary."

Judith looked down at her feet and bowed her head. "I am truly sorry, my Lord. I will try be a faithful and obedient wife from now on," she choked out.

Neither Redwald or Edmund stopped Judith as she turned and bolted out of the room. At the top of the stairway she turned and surveyed the lower story. She could hear the echo of manly voices emanating from the Great Hall. Judith's tears had stopped and she was calm. She rubbed her finger against her cheek and felt the moisture. As her finger touched her lips, she could taste the bitter salt. A deep smile crept slowly over her face.



PART 3

Brunhild crept quietly down the second story hallway. It was the middle of the night and no one was around to question why an old lady was lurking around a doorway. Brunhild had to concentrate and remember which one of the identical twin chambers that man was in.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts. Brunhild took a swig from the jug she clutched tightly in her hand. Just enough ale to cover her breath slipped down her throat.

She pierced her lips as she struggled to hear the conversation behind the thick wooden door. Brunhild could only catch a few stray words.

"…sorry…never meant to…don't understand…"

She pushed her ear flat against the door and could clearly make out two voices.

"Redwald, what in the hell am I supposed to do?"

"You should have thought of that before you got yourself into this fuck up."

"I've never been married before…how am I supposed to deal with her?"

"You're asking me? She's your wife, you deal with her. In my opinion, they never should have let her out of the nunnery in the first place."

"That's a brilliant solution."

"It's not a solution…it's an opinion and bloody tame one at that. Sometimes you amaze me, Edmund. You can't even fuck your own wife."

"Shut the fuck up!"

"You wanted a solution…that's your bloody solution!"

"What?!"

"Go fuck your wife. That would shut her up for while. Hell, it would shut you up for awhile."

"I'll shut you up."

There was silence and muffled sounds. Brunhild was old, but her hearing was surpassingly sharp and yet she could not make out the conversation.

"You smell like a donkey's ass! Take a bath."

"How do you know what a donkey's ass smells like?"

"I'm standing next to you aren't I?"

There was booming laughter after that comment. Brunhild was so shocked she dropped the jug. The shatter echoed and replayed against the stone walls. She half slid, half leaned against the wall opposite of the doorway. The door was unlocked and sharply opened.

"Who's there?" demanded a male voice out of the darkness.

"A beautiful young maiden," Brunhild slurred.

The glow of a candle revelled the shadowy face of Redwald.

"Who are you?" he questioned.

"I'm…I'm…I'm not sure. But did I mention I'm a virgin," she cackled.

Redwald sniffed the cheap ale's heavy perfume.

"It's all right Edmund. It's just some drunken old crone."

The smaller man stepped into the candlelight. He smiled when he saw Brunhild. He genteelly grabbed her arm and helped her to her feet.

"Good evening, old mother. You be on your way now…we wouldn't want anyone to take advantage of one so fair."

"Impudent young thing," she cooed. With a hiccup and a few staggers, she set off down the hall.

Brunhild stopped at the corner. She blinked in the darkness at the illuminated figures.

"Really, Edmund. You have to finish your duty. You got married out of duty and you have always lived for duty. Take a bath…please…shave, dress in your finest and go to her. That should keep her happy for awhile."

"She really doesn't seem to be that bad."

Redwald huffed in response. "You just be careful, she isn't what she appears to be."

"You're just paranoid. Come on, let's go to…"

Brunhild could only hear the door creek shut. The two men had moved back into the chamber. She scampered off down the hall towards the main bedchamber.

<><><><><><>

Judith slowly opened the door to reveal her husband. He looked dashing in new clothing and freshly shaved. As he stepped into the bedchamber, Judith remained silent. Edmund momentarily closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

He seemed genuine when he softly whispered, "Judith, I'm sorry if I hurt you in any way. You will make a fine mother and wife."

Judith shivered as he brushed his hand against her cheek. Drawing close to her he took her by the hand and cautiously led her to the bed. Judith and Edmund each undressed and lay naked on the bed beside each other.

Edmund clumsily kissed her as he climbed on top of her, in between her spread legs. She looked into Edmund's eyes as he penetrated her.

His cobalt blue eyes were distant and she was almost sure that he was thinking of someone else. Edmund withdrew and collapsed on top of her. His sweaty skin stuck to her and his weight was crushing.

Judith pushed on Edmund's shoulders and hissed, "Get off!"

He fumbled his way off of Judith and sat on the edge of the bed. His back was slumped and his head rested in the palms of his hands.

Eventually, he stood up, gathered his clothing and kissed Judith on the forehead.

"Good night, Judith."

"Where are you going, Edmund?"

"I am going to sleep in one of the twin chambers down the hall. That is where I have been sleeping since the wedding night."

Judith had won a victory tonight.

***I don't want to push Edmund too hard by challenging him on this matter. Anyway, this will give me something to work with later on.***

"Good night, Edmund."



PART 4

It was early enough in the morning that Judith's footsteps on the stone floors went unheard. She had spent a sleepless night thinking about her passionless coupling with Edmund. Judith had decided for some unknown reason to go see him.

In fact, she was now standing outside of his doorway. She knocked lightly, but there was no answer. Judith entered the room and expected Edmund to be passed out on the bed. To her surprise she found the room cold and empty. Even the bed was undisturbed.

Judith then looked intently at the door that connected this room to its identical neighbour. Her curious nature made her turn its latch.

Finding it unlocked she pulled the door open and entered the other room. An open window filled the chamber with the glowing light of dawn.

Glancing around the room she saw a familiar pair of weathered and crap covered boots. This was Redwald's room. Listening more closely, she could hear his steady breathing coming from the bed. Strangely enough, she was sure she could hear another person breathing.

She moved towards the bed wanting to see what kind of woman would sleep with this giant. Judith looked at them fascinated. Edmund and Redwald were fast asleep, half covered and mutual limbs intertwined.

They were both sleeping on their sides, bodies tucked together.

Redwald had his arm wrapped over Edmund's chest.

She was not disgusted, but rather fascinated. Judith had never been comfortable enough to sleep with anyone that near. She had never seen two people so intimately close with the contours of their bodies becoming one.

Suddenly, her foot smacked into the chest at the foot of the bed. The thump was enough to send Redwald's eyes flashing open. His head rolled over and he met Judith eye to eye.

He sighed with resignation. Redwald placed his mouth close to Edmund's ear and softly whispered, "Edmund…wake up."

"Mmmmm…what is it?" he sleepily mumbled.

"Your wife is here."

Edmund's eyes remained closed as he dreamily replied, "Quite joking and go back to sleep."

"I'm not."

Edmund's eyes shot open and his head jerked off the pillow.

He saw Judith standing at the end of the bed.

"Oh fuck." His head flopped back onto the pillow.

Redwald rolled over onto his back and put both of his hands behind his head. "Well, it was just a matter of time. Good morning, Lady Trumwine. I'm sorry for our present state of undress, but…"

"Redwald!" Edmund interrupted.

Redwald had the bad habit of being too frank. He let out his customary booming laugh and Edmund gave him a dirty look. Edmund's dismayed look made Redwald laugh even louder.

Judith had remained silent as she stood there stoically. Upon hearing Redwald resounding laughter, the sides of her mouth began to twitch.

The twitching turned into a smile and the smile turned into ringing laughter. Edmund looked back and forth between his wife and his lover, just shaking his head.

"Oh this is great! You sound like a female version of Redwald!" Edmund said ironically and with dark humour.

"God help us all!" Judith responded half laughingly, "You know I didn't even suspect about you two. But I really don't care who you fuck."

"What are you going to do Judith?" Edmund asked.

"I will make you a deal. You two can do whatever you want, but I want control over my own life and control over this estate.

You will not tell me what to do or where to go. In return for this, I will remain silent."

"What do you mean by control?" Edmund was still stunned at her reaction.

"If you haven't already noticed, I run this estate. My late husband was incompetent and I am the reason it thrives. It would be in your own best interest to let me continue in the day to day running. Of course, you would remain the figurehead. I will not deny you prestige, Edmund. I am offering you freedom. Freedom to do whatever you want without being hampered. This seems fair to me."

Edmund slowly blinked his eyes as calculations ran rapidly through his mind. After a moment he responded, "I will offer you control over your own life, Judith. However, I will not give up my independence. This estate and you legally belong to me. You are a capable woman. I will let you run the estate freely when I am absent.

When I am here, financial and political matters will be jointly decided upon. In matters concerning the household and your own personal affairs…I leave to your discretion."

"Fine, I agree to your terms. We will work out the finer details over breakfast. I will see you both in the Great Hall," she confirmed, "But remember, I can make your life a living hell."

"No, you will not, Lady Trumwine," boldly stated Redwald.

"Oh please, Lord Whitby, do not be petty. I do not care about the depth of your relationship with my husband. I will now kindly welcome you into my household. There is no need for this behaviour."

"But on the contrary. I will not be part of this household."

Edmund looked dismayed and hurt in an instant. He placed his hand on Redwald's shoulder. He quietly choked out, "What?"

"Edmund, I love you, but I can't live like this. I am my own man and I will not simply become a hanger on. You obviously have a lot to work out with your new "wife". I've decided I am
leaving…this morning…to visit my brother."

"You can't…I mean I don't want to lose you."

"It was your duty to get married and there was no escaping it.

I would have hated you if you even tried. I love you, but I have to leave. I can't stray here…not now. If I come back at all, I will return in six weeks."

Edmund was not going to stop Redwald even though this was torment. He understood it was something Redwald needed to do to maintain control over his life.

Judith had remained silent during this exchange. She was contented and yet saddened at this outcome. Judith knew that she had the upper hand in dealing with Edmund now. But the other part of her was sad to see Redwald go…for Edmund's sake. For all that she claimed not to need love, she had never known it. Part of her did not like to see it denied to someone who had truly found it.

Redwald was now dressed and ready to leave. They were whispering private goodbyes and the look in both of their eyes was heartbreaking. Redwald embraced Edmund and kissed him passionately.

They parted and Edmund stood rigid and stared as Redwald turned towards the doorway.

Redwald stopped and stood in front of Judith. He leaned into her so that Edmund could not hear what was exchanged.

"Watch yourself, Judith. If you hurt him I will find out and then Edmund will be a widower," he seethed.

Redwald exited the room and Edmund half fell, half sat onto the bed. His back was slumped and his head rested in his palms. He was slowly rocking back and forth. Judith walked up to him and placed her hand on his shoulder.

"It's all right Edmund, I'll help you work this out…together."

She leaned over and kissed him on the forehead.


end part 4