Title: Littermates (was Origins)

Author: Scribe

poet77665@yahoo.com

Fandom: Original

Pairing: None

Series: Prequel to planned 'Three Sisters' series

Disclaimer: They're all mine, it's all original, I claim it, and I copyright it! Mess with it at your own peril!

Archive: Lists only. I'm going to publish this eventually (fingers crossed).

Warnings: Series will have adult language and situations, violence, some sex (both hetero and otherwise), and the frank depiction of child abuse and its aftereffects. Also deals with supernatural themes such as shape-shifting and vampirisim

Rating: NC-17



Littermates
by Scribe


1951-Beginnings

Her first memory was of warmth, and thunder. Not the great crashes and booms of a fierce storm, but low, almost gentle, rumblings. And the warmth tickled her, making her wrinkle her nose and giggle. She was lying against something very warm, and solid. It moved up and down, rhythmically, and the thunder was inside it. She was three.

Something cool and wet prodded the back of her neck. She waved her hand back, hitting something that felt like damp velvet. There was a blast of warm, moist air that was strong enough to move her blonde curls. She giggled again. "Bess 'oo."

The rumbling increased till the solid form under her vibrated. She rolled over to find a big face hovering over her. It was handsome, sculpted with high cheekbones and an elegantly pointed chin. Triangular black ears were perked on top of the skull, and slanted, glittering blue eyes, set in a dark fur mask, regarded her.

She reached up and tugged a stiff, wiry whisker. It was as long as her arm. The great cat merely tilted his head to take the strain off, eyes squeezing a little narrower. Anyone who saw a child treating a natural cat in this manner would expect the little girl to be wailing and nursing bloody scratches at any moment. With a cat of this size, the loss of a hand was more likely. It was the size of large leopard.

Tiring of her game, the little girl demanded, "Wide! Wide now." When she let go of his whiskers, the cat obligingly rolled onto his stomach and allowed the little girl to straddle his back. Her chubby legs could barely stretch far enough. She buried her hands in the thick cream colored fur at the base of his neck and kicked. "Giddap."

Her steed rose carefully to his feet and began to pad around the small room. There wasn't much space, but he wove and circled, keeping moving. His rider crowed with glee, kicking and tugging.

The door opened, and a woman came into the room. She was young and blonde, pretty in a generic, anonymous way. When she saw what was happening, she scowled. Striding over, she snatched up the child. The girl howled in protest, plump hands waving wisps of silky cream colored fur. "Wanna wide, Ma! Wanna wiiiide!"

"Hush! What did I say about this?" She glared at the man who was slowly standing up from the floor. "Barlan, what did I say?"

He was pulling on a pair of pants, his hands still a little awkward as the fingers elongated, fur receding. "I know what you said, Maggie." He smoothed his white-blonde hair into place as the last of the black disappeared. "And I told you that I will not pretend to be something I'm not around my own daughter."

"It isn't good for her. You'll have her thinking your condition is natural."

"It is natural, it's how I was born. It's a part of me, and I'm not going to deny it. You didn't always find it... distasteful."

She looked embarrassed. "I thought it was exotic. A change." Her expression hardened again. "I just never should have married you."

His blue eyes were unreadable. She could never tell if she'd scored with a barb. "Probably not, but you knew how it was. You didn't make any objections to it until after the ceremony. Did you think you'd snag me, then mold me to suit you afterwards? Very foolish, Maggie. It isn't like this is some sort of bad habit I can drop."

"You won't even try! They have hypnotists who can cure almost anything. They can stop smoking, help with weight loss, lower stress. I don't see why they couldn't..."

"They could no sooner take the cat out of me than they could turn me into a woman. This is what I am, Maggie. And our girl needs to know. When she grows up, the change will be less of a shock."

"But there might not BE a change, you said so yourself. If there's human blood in the line anywhere, you might not breed true. Well, she's at least half human. I don't believe she will change. There's more of me in her than you."

The child had stopped squirming, giving up on escape. Now she hung placidly in her mother's arms. Her father looked at her thoughtfully, and she smiled back at him, her eyes squeezing half shut. Anyone familiar with cats would recognize it as a peculiarly feline gesture. "Believe that if you want, Maggie. But I want her to be prepared. Some who weren't raised in our ways couldn't accept it when it came, and they went mad. I don't want that to happen to my Kitten."

"Don't call her that!" Maggie's grip tightened, and the child gave a mewling cry of discomfort. This seemed to enrage her, and she shook the little girl. "Stop that! Cry like a normal child, damn it!"

"Maggie!" Barlan reached for the girl, and Maggie pulled away defiantly. His eyes narrowed, but not in the playful way his baby's had, and a low, menacing growl rumbled in his throat. Maggie blanched. He'd never made that noise toward her before, but she'd seen what could happen when he was in this mood. When he held out his arms again, she surrendered the child without protest.

The girl snuggled against him, burrowing her little face against his neck. He stroked her smooth cream colored hair. They stayed little for so short a time. The hair was already darkening, her points growing in. She was going to be a chocolate point, like her grandmother. Maggie was purposely blind to the signs. But she'd have to accept it, sooner or later. This was her child, too. Wasn't a female's strongest instinct to protect and nurture her young?

In most cats, yes. And in most humans, also. But he'd forgotten how strong the survival instinct is, and wasn't aware of how deeply it ran in his wife. He knew she was self-centered, and greedy, but it never occurred to him that there might come a time when she would be willing to sacrifice their child's well being for her own security and comfort.



1952-Tragedy

"Don't go." Maggie watched as Barlan combed his hair, using a damp palm to give it the final smoothing, as always.

"We've talked about this. If I don't go, everything I've established with this pack is lost. We've reached a truce, tonight I think I can establish peace."

"But why do you have to? Why can't we just leave? I hate it out here, anyway."

"Yes, you've told me. Many, many times." His daughter toddled over and threw her arms around his leg. "Hello, Kitten."

"Da goin' out?"

"Yes."

"Kitty go too, 'kay?"

"Not tonight. You stay home with Mommy." Her bottom lip trembled threateningly, and he said, "Be good, and I'll bring you something."

Her eyes brightened with interest. "A mousie?"

"If I can."

She clapped her hands. "Good. I jump onna mousie an' eat 'im up!"

"No, baby. You're too young to eat mousies. Your tummy isn't strong enough yet."

She frowned, then shrugged. "But I jump onnim."

"Yes. You're going to be a good little hunter. Give Daddy a kiss." She threw her arms around his neck in an enthusiastic hug, and gave him a hard, smacking baby kiss on the cheek. He ran his hands through the fine hair that was now more brown than blonde, staring into the bright blue eyes so like his own. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Daddy loves you, Kitten."

"I know. Love 'oo, too. Kiss Mommy."

Barlan gently disengaged himself from her embrace, and went to his wife. Maggie stood stiffly, arms crossed tightly. When he laid a hand on her shoulder and leaned to kiss her, she turned her head with a little jerk, so that his lips brushed her cheek instead of her lips. He sighed. "This will work, Maggie. They're ready to compromise, I'm sure of it. Just be patient a little while longer." She said nothing, and after awhile he removed his hand and went out.

Margaret went into the kitchen, and came out holding a yellow box. Kitten recognized it. It held the big black garbage bags that she wasn't allowed to play with. Mommy took it into her and Daddy's bedroom, and Kitten was puzzled. It was clean in there, why did Mommy need a garbage bag?

Dismissing it as an adult peculiarity, Kitten decided to play with her teddybear. First she put Ursus in the middle of the floor, then she hid behind the sofa. After a moment, she peeked around the corner, and eyed the bear, trying to decide whether or not he'd notice if she crept toward him. He didn't seem to be paying any attention. Just in case, she ducked back behind cover and waited another minute.

Kitten could hear her mother in the other room. It sounded like she was slamming doors and drawers. She must be mad about something. She always seemed to be mad about something. Kitten sighed, then held her breath, alarmed. But Ursus never moved. He must not have heard. What a careless bear.

She crept forward an inch, and paused. Ursus stayed still, staring at the wall with shiny plastic eyes and thinking stuffed bear thoughts. Maybe he was thinking about the Teddybear's Picnic, the one her Daddy sang to her about.

Her Mommy came out and put two bulging black plastic bags on the floor. Then she walked into Kitten's room, shaking open another bag. The plastic made a hissing crackle. Normally Kitten would have wanted to investigate the sound, persuade her mother to let her play with the slick, slippery bag, but she was much too busy now.

On all fours, belly low, Kitten crept forward another inch, and another. Her body was tense with excitement now, her eyes glowing like blue gas flames. She almost had him...Was there anything else she needed to do to make her attack perfect? Oh, yes, of course! She'd almost forgotten. She carefully waved her little bottom back and forth several times, then sprang suddenly on her prey.

Poor Ursus never had a chance. Kitten clutched him, then held him out at arms length and kicked ferociously at his belly. Since all she had were tiny human toenails, she did him no damage. Frustrated, she bit down on his throat. Daddy said that would suffocate. If the prey was small enough, a good sharp shake of the head might snap its neck, bus Ursus was a little hefty for that. Kitten wondered vaguely how long it took to suffocate a prey that wasn't breathing.

Kitten held on a good, long time. The dusty smell of Ursus' wooly fur made her sneeze, but she managed to keep her teeth clamped when she did. At last she decided that she'd killed Ursus enough for today, and released him. She spat several times, trying to get the musty taste out of her mouth. She felt very thirsty, and went to find Mommy for a drink of water.

At her bedroom door, Kitten paused, surveying the scene in astonishment. Mommy was always so insistent about neatness, scolding Kitten if she didn't set her shoes together neatly out of the way, or left her socks on the floor. Now the floor of her room was strewn with clothes. The black bag sat bulging in the middle of the floor. Her Mommy was bringing an armload of dresses, still on hangers, from the open closet. As Kitten watched she stuffed them, hangers and all, into the bag. They were going to get awful wrinkled like that.

"Mommy, I'se thirsty." Kitten piped.

"Not now, Kathleen. Mommy's busy." Her mother scooped a double handful of tiny undergarments from the floor and tossed them into the bag. One, a minuscule pair of panties printed with daisies, fluttered to the side, but she didn't seem to notice.

Helpfully, Kitten went and got it, folding it neatly before she placed it in the bag with her other garments. She had seen Mommy pack up clothes like this before when she was going to give them to the army she said helped poor people. Did this mean she was going to get all new clothes? Daddy had said they couldn't afford to buy any more right now. Maybe she was going to have to go naked. The idea didn't bother her much, as long as it wasn't too cold out.

But she still needed a drink, and that meant Mommy had to get it. The one time she'd tried to do it on her own, she'd broken the glass. She hadn't meant to, but it had gotten so slippery and heavy. Mommy had swatted her several times, hard, right on the bottom. Mommy and Daddy had talked to each other hard and fast right after that. "An accident, Margaret. For God's sake, all children have accidents. It's not like you told her not to do it, and she deliberately disobeyed."

"Please, Mommy." She'd been told often enough that 'please' was the magic word.

"Later. We'll go for a ride, and I'll buy you a soda, okay?"

"Roo' beer?"

"Whatever. Just stay out of the way right now." Mommy was ripping Kitten's neatly made bed apart. The sheets and pillow went into the bag also.

Kitten was feeling uneasy now. They didn't usually go for rides at night. Daddy said there were some unfriendly folks hereabouts. She went back in the livingroom. Ursus had forgiven her for killing him, as he always did, and she sat down with him in her arms and told him about how oddly Mommy was acting. Ursus didn't understand it, either.

Then she heard the howl. She'd heard them before, of course. Often enough that they were nothing unusual. But this one sounded different somehow, not so much like singing. It was joined by another voice, and another, till it was a whole chorus. And it was coming toward the house.

She heard a crashing, snapping sound that meant someone was pushing through the brush around the house, then there was a pounding at the front door. "Maggie!" That was Daddy. But he sounded scared. Daddy was never scared. "Maggie, dammit! Open the door. It went wrong, oh God, it went wrong! Hurry!"

Kitten acted immediately. Her little climbing stool was by the door. She got up on it and stretched, her tiny fingers barely reaching the bolt on the door. She could feel it vibrating as Daddy thumped on the door from outside. She just managed to slide the bolt back as her Mommy came back into the livingroom with the third garbage bag.

The door flew open so suddenly that Kitten fell back, landing on her bottom as Daddy lunged inside. She started to wail indignantly, but it caught in her throat as she looked at the door. The old, blistered paint was grey with age, no matter how Mommy scrubbed it. Now it was splotched and smeared with bright red.

Daddy had stumbled, and gone down on his knees, and she turned to look at him. There were twigs and leaves in his hair, and dirt on his clothes, like he'd been rolling around on the ground. It was a shock seeing him like that, because Daddy was always so well groomed.

His clothes were ripped, too, at the shoulder, and more of the red stuff ran from his neck in thick streams. Kitten could hear the light patter as the drops hit the uncarpeted floor. Her little nostrils flared rapidly at the hot coppery scent. Blood, that was blood. Daddy was hurt!

Daddy saw Mommy, and said, "Quick, we've got to get out, now! Get Kitten..." His eyes focused on the bag in Mommy's hands, and his voice died away. He looked at the other bags, piled on the floor, then back at Mommy, who's face had gone very pale and rigid. "No." His voice was very quiet.

Mommy grabbed one of the remaining bags. "It went wrong. You said it yourself, Barlan."

"Not with my child, Maggie." Daddy's voice was weaker, thick and gargling. He tried to push himself up into a sitting position, but his hands slipped in the blood, which was now a puddle, and he fell prone.

"My child!" Mommy yelled, struggling to get a grip on the third bag. "Mine, dammit! She's going to be raised human."

Kitten went to her father and used the hem of her shirt to try to wipe away some of the blood. In only a moment it was soaked, and her hands were slick with it. "Up, Daddy. Get up an' go to bed. Youse sick."

Daddy was breathing harshly, his eyes closed. At the sound of her voice, he opened his eyes and looked at her. The blue of his eyes was dim now, like a clouded sky. He whispered "Kitten..." Then he stopped breathing.

His smell changed abruptly. It was still the Daddy smell, but it was wrong now. Like the mousies after she jumped on them. Her mother spoke. "Come away from there, Kathleen. Let Daddy sleep, he's tired."

Kitten looked at her mother in amazement. Could she really be that stupid? "Daddy dead, Mommy." The realization of what this meant washed over her, and her face puckered up as the first wave of grief struck. "Daddy dead!" she wailed.

She hadn't noticed that the howling had stopped, till the man behind her spoke. "I'm sorry, little one."

Kitten whirled, to find a stranger standing inside the door. Not a stranger, exactly. She'd seen her father talking to him before. He was a big man, with yellow eyes. His long hair, like his beard, was iron grey, still streaked with black. Right now his beard was matted with gore.

With a snarl, Kitten threw herself at him, hands hooked to claw. He tried to catch her, but she twisted and started to clamber up him like a monkey, intent on reaching his throat. He plucked her off easily, and held her at arms length. She thrashed furiously, hissing and yowling in a totally unchildlike way, swiping desperately for his eyes, but falling far short. At last, in frustration, she began to dig bloody furrows in his forearm, trying to make him drop her.

"Yes, you're Barlan's get." The man didn't seem angry, only sad. "He told me you were going to be a warrior, and he was right."

"Let her go." Margaret was ashen now, but she hadn't dropped the bags. "Don't hurt her, she's just a baby."

"Madam, I am not a cub killer. I didn't kill your husband, either." He held Kitten up and looked her directly in the face. "I didn't kill your daddy, catkin."

Kitten stared back, a high pitched version of her father's growl pulsating in her throat. But as she looked into those gold eyes, the sound died away doubtfully. He was telling the truth, she decided. More than anything, it was the smell of the blood that convinced her. That wasn't Daddy's blood. Her lips trembled, and he nodded. The tears started to roll down her smooth cheeks as he set her gently on the floor. She went to her Daddy and began to carefully pick the trash out of his hair, trying to make him look nice again.

Now those lambent eyes focused on Maggie. "I didn't kill him. There are those among us whose hatred of his kind far outweighs their common sense. My pack had agreed to this meeting in good faith, but..." He shrugged. "There's one young dog who's been pissing to be leader for some time now, and figured he could gain support by disrupting the truce. He attacked Barlan suddenly, right at the council fire."

His lips wrinkled back to show sharp yellowed teeth. "A fool cur, but a fast one. He'd ripped Barlan before we knew what he was about. He saw at once that he'd miscalculated his support, and ran. I called a Blood Hunt on him for violating our word. I killed him myself. " He sighed. "Frankly, I would have thought my own son would have had better sense."

He studied the stuffed to bursting bags. "Barlan didn't indicate that you were leaving." Maggie said nothing, and he nodded shrewdly. "I see. YOU are leaving. Perhaps that's best now. It will take time to find out just how strong my son's faction was, and some may be inclined to continue along that path. Things may be...unpleasant for awhile. But you'll have safe passage, I'll see to that."

Without another word he turned and strode away. Before the darkness swallowed him, Kitten saw the change beginning. The coarse grey and black fur rippled down his arms as he fell into a crouch and began to lope on all fours.

Mommy pushed past her, carrying the bags. "Come on, Kathleen."

Kitten ignored her. Mommy could leave, if she wanted. Kitten would just stay here, with Daddy. After all, Ursus never stayed dead for long. Maybe Daddy wouldn't either. She heard the car trunk slam, and her mother shouted, "Kathy, come on!"

After a moment, she heard rapid footsteps. Knowing what was going to happen, she wrapped her arms around Daddy's neck. The warmth was leaving him now. He wasn't really Daddy any more, just meat. Meat, and already beginning to spoil. But she didn't want to give him up. All children, human or otherwise, believe they can will something into being, if they want it badly enough.

She felt her mother's hands on her waist, rough and urgent. Her mother was trying to lift her, but Kitten clung stubbornly to her father. "Let go, Kathy!"

"No! Not go, Mommy. Wanna stay with Daddy."

"Lord, you have it all over you! How can I explain that! They'll think I've been killing you." She'd half lifted her daughter. Kitten had dragged Barlan's head up with her, and Margaret thought that the dim blue eyes were glaring at her accusingly. She was about to force Kitten to let go, when her daughter's grip slipped in the blood. Her father's head flopped back bonelessly, striking the floor with a distinct thunk.

Margaret carried the girl out to the old Impala, her footsteps crunching on the gravel. "Lemme go, Mommy!" Kitten began kicking, drumming her sneakers into her mother's side. "Wanna stay!"

"You're not staying. We're blowing this hell hole."

"Daddy..."

"Forget about your Daddy. If the bastard had really cared for us, he never would have brought us out here. We were doing fine in the city, on our own. All that clan business was so much bull shit. Clan my ass. Half a dozen weirdos just like him."

Kitten didn't understand. Daddy had told her that clan was important, clan was family. Clan was blood.

There was a rustling in the bushes. Light streamed from the open doorway, and Kitten saw glints of red in the dark. There were soft, padding footsteps in the grass just beyond the light's reach, then quiet. The red glints, several pairs, were all directed at them. They were being watched, but with no particular attempt at secrecy. This was not a stalking, apparently.

Her mother had to hold her under one arm while she opened the door, and Kitten renewed her struggle. Margaret's sides would be black and blue for several days. But despite Kitten's wild thrashings, Margaret managed to stuff her in the car, much as she'd stuffed the clothes into the sacks. When she fastened the seat belt, she trapped Kitten's arms under the band, and jerked it tight before she clicked the catch closed. "Calm down!"

Kitten continued to fight her restraints, hissing and raging. "Stop it, Kathy! Stop it!" Mommy's hand flashed out, and slapped Kitten across the face. Kitten gulped in shock, and wailed even louder. Mommy slapped her again, and again, yelling. "Stop it!" When Mommy punched her in the stomach, the air whooshed out of her, and she couldn't have kept screaming if she'd wanted to. All she could do was wheeze for breath.

That seemed to be what Mommy wanted, because she shut the door, then got behind the wheel and started the car. When she headlights came on, they revealed a large, shaggy brown wolf standing on one side of the driveway. Another one, so black he was hard to see against the night, was on the other side. They made no move toward the car, but watched it patiently. When Mommy put the car in gear and began to drive down the way to the road, they trotted alongside, an escort party.

By the time she got her breath back, they'd reached the highway, and the wolves were gone. Kitten felt absolutely none of the excitement that usually came with a ride. She had no desire to look for cows, or watch the moon gliding along, keeping pace above them.

After awhile, her mother said, "Kathleen?" Her voice was hesitant, and Kitten thought she sounded a little ashamed of herself. "Kathy, I'm sorry I hit you like that. Mommy was just upset, and afraid." Kitten said nothing. She knew very well that wasn't any sort of excuse. "Anyway, don't worry about your Daddy. He's in heaven with the angels now, and he wants you to be a good girl and do like Mommy says."

Kitten thought about asking her mother how she knew this. She was pretty sure that if Daddy was going to talk to anyone after he was dead, it would be Kitten. She decided not to mention it. Mommy's voice was still edgy.

"We'll go somewhere nice, much nicer than that shack. We'll go to the city. You don't remember the city, you were too little when he dragged us out into the woods." Mommy had talked about the city a lot. To hear her tell it, people should prefer going to the city to going to heaven.

"I won't have a problem getting work. Thank God I didn't breast-feed you, that would have ruined my figure. Barlan was really pissed about that. I'm going to take good care of us both, Kathy. Wait and see. It's a good thing we never registered, now I don't have to get a divorce or explain what happened to him."

Now that the adrenalin rush was fading, Kitten was exhausted. She'd never felt so limp or tired in her short life, and there was a great aching hollowness in her belly that had nothing to do with physical hunger. She let her mother's babble roll over her."This time I'll find someone better, someone rich. Rich guys come into the clubs all the time. If I play it right, I can get one. The whole nine yards, ring and everything. A young mother, struggling to take care of her baby all alone after her skank husband abandoned them. I'll rake in the money. And only the one's who won't mind a kid will date, so I'll get you another daddy in the bargain..."

The thought was so ridiculous that Kitten didn't even feel the need to address it. Best to just ignore it. At last Kitten said tiredly, "You said roo' beer, Mommy."

Relieved at what she took to be her daughter's acceptance of the situation, Maggie said, "Sure, rootbeer. As soon as we get into town." She really didn't know her daughter.



1954-An Odd Child

Ella Rozzelle flipped the hamburger patty in the sizzling skillet, trying to avoid the spattering grease as much as possible. She shook her head. Ground beef was nothing but fat and water these days. Not like when she was a child, and the butcher ground it for you fresh. Then you could see what you were getting, and he couldn't fob off all his scraps and trimmings. Still, it was filling, and it was what she could afford. Learn to sew, her mother had said, and you need never go hungry. Well, she never had to go naked, in any case. But everyone wanted off the rack, ready to wear these days. There wasn't much money to be made in sewing and alterations.

Ella was a fat woman, but comfortably fat. She was one of those rare overweight people who was at peace with her body. As a result, she was actually quite pretty. She had olive skin and shiny brunette hair worn in a smooth pageboy.

From the livingroom she heard the honk of a squeeze-bulb horn, and a shrill, childish giggle. Again Ella shook her head, but this time in fond amusement. Little Kathleen sure did love that Clarabell the Clown on the Howdy Doody show.

Ella was watching the little girl for twenty dollars a week. It was just supposed to be evenings at first. But her mother worked so late that it just seemed more sensible for the child to sleep over on the sofa instead of waking up in the middle of the night to go upstairs to her own bed. Then her mother had complained about all the noise the kid made while she was trying to sleep. Well, you couldn't expect a normal child to be silent all the time, so Kathleen started staying over in the mornings, too. Now she only spent a few hours in the afternoon with her mother. Unless he mother wanted to go shopping, or to a movie, which was often. It never occurred to her to take the little girl along.

Ella slid the turner under the patty and lifted it out onto a paper lined plate, then opened the bun and put it in the pan to toast. The soft white bread soaked up the grease like a sponge. While she waited for it to brown, Ella reflected that the child had some odd tastes in food. She hated vegetables, like most. But Ella had never known another child who insisted on having all her meat bloody rare.

She heard the television click off, and Kathleen came into the kitchen, sitting in one of the aluminum and vinyl chairs. She was an attractive child, but too sturdy to be termed pretty by today's standards. She had the most amazing hair, though. It fell around her shoulders in smooth sheaths, warm brown thickly streaked with shades of blond from cream to gold. On anyone any older, Ella would have been certain it was artificial. And she had blue eyes that could be deep and serious, or bright and merry. The sad thing was that they were so often the former, and so seldom the latter. "It's almost done, sweetie. Was the show good today?"

"Uh huh. Princess Winterspringsummerfall did a dance."

"Did she? Like your mama, huh?"

"No. She kept all her clothes on. They don' let you dance like Mommy does on the tee vee." she said matter of factly.

Ella felt her face flush. Sometimes it seemed that the poor little soul knew way too much about the world for someone so young. She dressed the burger the way Kathy liked it, nothing but meat and condiments, and set the plate before her. "Want some milk?"

"Sure."

That was one thing in her favor, Ella reflected as she poured a glass and handed it over. There was never any trouble getting her to drink her milk. Ella herself, as a child, had refused to drink a drop of the stuff unless it had chocolate syrup in it. When the girl set the glass down again, she had a foamy white mustache. Her little pink tongue darted out, swiping at the droplets.

Ella laughed, handing her a handkerchief. "Here, use this." As Kathy wiped her upper lip, Ella said, "I swear, you looked just like a kitten after someone pushed his nose in the dish to teach him how to drink."

Kathy had the burger halfway to her mouth, but she stopped, staring into the distance with a look of intense concentration. She did this sometimes, for no reason that was obvious to Ella. But she looked for all the world like someone trying desperately to remember the combination to a lock, or a telephone number that had just barely slipped their mind.

"What is it, baby? Did you forget something, or remember it?"

She frowned, her face serious. "I think someone else useta call me a kitten."

"Probably your mama."

She flicked her eyes, sapphire blue, at her babysitter. "Someone who loved me."

"Your mama."

Kathy grunted noncommitally, and went back to her meal. She ate rapidly, but daintily. Her only bad habit was the tendency to lick her fingers when she was done, but she'd gotten better about that.

Ella prepared her own burger, then sat down across from Kathy to consume it. The little girl washed her plate when she was done, without being asked, and left it in the drain rack to dry. Then she sat back down and began picking at a nick in the turquoise Formica of the tabletop. After a moment, not looking up, she said, "Mommy wants me ta meet her boyfriend. She never wanted me to meet one before."

"Well, that's a good thing, isn't it? Your mom must really like this one."

"I 'spose. Mommy says I'll like him. She says I better like him, an' if I don', I better keep my trap shut."

"Oh. I'm sure your mom wouldn't go with someone who wasn't nice." Ella blushed again as Kathy gave her a look that was almost pitying.

Seeing that her friend was uncomfortable, Kathy said kindly, "Maybe. At least he must be nicer than the one who came aroun' here hollering an' banging on the door, an' Mommy called the coppers on him."

There was a rap on the front door and Ella brushed crumbs off her lap as she stood. "I guess that must be them." Ella went to the door and undid the chains and bolts that kept it locked tight every moment except when someone was actually entering or exiting.

"Hello, Ella. Thanks for watching Kathy for a little while." Huh. As if Maggie had given that poor mite more than a passing thought in the past year. Maggie wafted into the room on a cloud of perfume, and not the kind you bought at the local drugstore, either. Her blonde hair was piled in an elaborate style that was retouched at the beauty parlor at least twice a week these days. She was doing well for herself with this one, Ella reflected.

The man who came in behind her did look prosperous, in a solid, quiet way. Good. The child needed a more steady influence than the one provided by her flighty mother. "Where's Kathy?" She spotted her daughter hanging back in the doorway and called brightly, "There's my angel! Come see Mr. Bernard. I've been telling him all about you, and he really wants to meet you."

Kathy didn't hang back, but she didn't trot over eagerly, either. She walked over to the man and extended a hand politely. "How do you do, Mr. Bernard."

He was a thin man, and very tall. As he bent toward her, Kathy was reminded of one of those funny toy birds that you set on the rim of a glass, and it bobbed up and down, dipping it's beak in the water. "How do you do? My, what a lady!" He took her hand and shook it. "Better manners than a lot of grownups I know. Your mother didn't tell me how pretty you are."

"That's 'cause I'm not pretty."

His eyebrows lifted, and his thin mouth crooked in a smile. "You're not?"

"No. Mommy says that if we could just get my hair to curl, I might be. But I hate sleeping on those prickly old rollers."

"I like your hair. If I had a little girl, I'd want her to have hair just like yours. How would you like to go out to dinner with Mommy and me?"

"I already had dinner."

Margaret looked at Ella, annoyed. "I've told you, Ella. You don't have to feed her."

I do, as little as you bother, Ella thought. Out loud she said, "She was hungry."

"Perfectly right, " Mr. Bernard said, unperturbed. "We'll have ice cream instead. How does that sound?"

It sounded fine to Kathy. "Carvel?"

"You bet. And since it's so hard to make up your mind what the best kind is, I thing you'd better have two scoops, just to be on the safe side."

"Cherry vanilla and rocky road." she said promptly.

He laughed. "And decisive. Get your coat, it's chilly out." While Kathy went to the closet, he said quietly to Maggie. "She's something, Maggie. I'm pleased you decided to tell me about her."

Maggie relaxed visibly. "I was afraid it might put you off. Most guys run like a scalded dog when they find out I have a kid."

"Not me. I've wanted children for a long time, but I never married, never even had a serious relationship. And the courts are so reluctant to let single parents adopt."

"You couldn't find a better child, " Ella said eagerly. "She's so quiet, and neat. And smart, too. Smart as a whip. She hasn't even started school yet, and she reads almost as well as I do. I caught her with my old highschool chemistry book the other day, trying to work out formulas."

"That's nice, but I'm sure there's no need for her to worry about things like that. She won't need it, cute as she is. Someone's sure to snap her up right out of highschool and take care of her."

Ella looked skeptical. "She's pretty independent. Think she might rather be one of those career girls."

"Nonsense." Margaret dismissed the idea. "Education would be a waste."

"Now, Maggie, college can be a great advantage to a girl in society. Joining the right sorority can set up contacts that will last for life. You wouldn't object to me putting her through school, would you?"

Margaret blinked. "Why, that's kind of you, Wallace. But I couldn't let you go through such expense."

"I want to. Besides, she's going to be my girl, too." He smiled at Ella's surprised look. "Maggie and I are getting married. She didn't know it till now, though." For the first time, Ella Rozelle saw Kathy's mother shocked into speechlessness. "You will marry me, won't you, Maggie?"

"Of course I will." There was joy in her tone, but it was mixed with a brassy note of triumph. Ella could just imagine her thinking, 'Got you now! You said it in front of a witness, and it's breach of promise if you try to back out. I score either way."

"Good. After ice cream, we can shop for a ring. Kathy can help pick it out." Kathy came back, struggling to force her arms into a coat that was almost two sizes too small. "Here, let me help you with that." Wallace Bernard cinched the coat closed, forcing the buttons into the holes. "You've outgrown that old thing. We'll get you a new one." He stroked her hair gently. "Dark green would be pretty with your hair. Come on, your Mommy and I have another surprise for you."

They left, Mr. Bernard holding Kathy's hand, and Maggie trailing behind. Ella refastened the locks after them, then sat down to think. Something was troubling her. She was an intelligent woman, but sometimes it took a few minutes to define a thought, or identify a feeling clearly. Something wasn't right about that Bernard.

He seemed perfect. Very well to do, polite, respectful and respectable, generous...And he liked little Kathy. That won him a lot of points. He certainly had taken to the girl. And it didn't seem that he was making up to her to get in good with her mother. Ella snorted softly to herself. A blind man could see that all he had to do to have Maggie was tell her to drop her pants. No, he seemed to be genuinely fond of the child, right off the bat.

And that wasn't right. Most guys like that, never married, might like children, but they generally weren't comfortable with them. At last, with growing unease, Ella decided that perhaps Mr. Wallace Bernard liked little Kathy too much. Far too much. There had been an air of propriety in the way he'd escorted the child.

What to do? She didn't know that he had designs on her, except in her gut. There was no evidence. If she went to the police or child welfare, she'd be considered either a kook or a malicious troublemaker. She could be sued, or even arrested. The only option was to talk to the mother, try to make her see the danger. Maybe Maggie could be persuaded to at least postpone things. A man like that was sure to show himself for what her really was, sooner or later.

She didn't get the chance. Margaret moved herself and Kathy into an uptown apartment the next day, one that rented for more in one month than she'd paid for the old one in a half dozen. She didn't even bother to leave Ella a forwarding address. Years later, when Ella Rozelle read about what happened with Wallace Bernard, and Maggie, and Kathy, she cried.



1955-The Nightmare Begins

He didn't molest her right away. He was too subtle for that, and he was patient. Wallace Bernard had been looking for the perfect woman for several years, and had found her in Maggie. Maggie was young and pretty enough for it to be believable that he might desire her enough for marriage. She had nothing, and wanted it all. And she made it clear that she was willing to do whatever it took to get it. She was capable of telling herself that she was doing it to provide for her daughter.

Kathy, Kathleen. With her odd shaded hair and her blue eyes both innocent, and wise. It was hard for him to keep his hands off her during the brief engagement, but he did. There must be no question, no hint of suspicion, till the union with her mother was legal, and binding. Then, if there were difficulties, he'd have a shot at wresting custody away. After all, it wouldn't be difficult to have her declared an unfit mother.

He'd considered that, at first. But really, Margaret could be an asset. A wife opened a lot of doors in society, and she concealed her sordid background well when she wanted to. And she wanted to be rich and socially accepted very, very much.

The wedding was simple, by his peers' standard. After all, Margaret had a child, and it just wouldn't have been tasteful to have an all out extravaganza. He made a show of helping to pick out the gown and decide on the flowers. The only thing that really interested him was Kathy's flower girl outfit. Maggie had protested it's elaborate design a bit, not wanting any of the attention to be taken away from her on her wedding day. Wallace had informed her, with a warning coolness in his voice, that jealousy of her own child was not very attractive.

When Kathleen preceeded her mother down the aisle, strewing rose petals and daisies (her choice), she had been dressed as a miniature bride herself. A boy a few years older than she, a nephew or cousin of Wallace's, she never was sure which, walked beside her dressed in jacket and striped pants, like Wallace was wearing. He carried a little velvet pillow with a little velvet box sitting on it. Actually, it was attatched. He'd shown Kathy by turning it upside down and shaking it vigorously. The box stayed miraculously in place.

There had been oos and ahs as she solemnly paced the aisle, trying to toss the blossoms in an even pattern. As she'd been instructed, she sat down in the first row when she got to the front, ant the boy sat of the other side of the aisle. Lacey Bernard, Wallace's younger sister and the maid of honor, came next, escorted by the best man. She floated along in a fluffy seafoam green dress, her eyes fixed straight ahead. When they had met out in the church lobby, she had studied Kathleen closely. Her expression was kind, but for some reason her eyes were worried. "Wally didn't tell me about you, little girl. He didn't say anything about his bride having a child."

"He must've forgot. Mommy says it was all very sudden."

"Yes, I suppose so." But she didn't seem satisfied with that answer.

Lacey stood to the left of the alter, and the best man went to stand beside Wallace on the right. Then the organ started that big, impressive music that meant Here comes the bride, and everyone turned to look to the back of the church to see Mommy come in.

Kathy didn't blame everyone for looking. Mommy looked real pretty, like a princess in one of the picture storybooks she'd read when she was little. The only thing that wasn't pretty was her smile. Kathy knew that everyone else just saw the smile and thought, "Oh my, how happy she is!" Kathy knew that that was Mommy's I got my way smile. Kathy wondered if Mr. Wally (it was a compromise between Mr. Bernard, which was what she wanted to call him, and Wally, which was what he prefered, Daddy being out of the question) had noticed this.She was surprised to see that he wasn't looking at Mommy at all. He was looking at her. And Mr. Wally was wearing an I got my way smile, too.

After the wedding, Kathy had to stand still for what seemed like an awful long time while they took pictures. Then there was a party, what Mommy called a reception. There were itty bitty sandwiches cut in funny shapes, without the crusts. There were salted nuts and sugared nuts in fancy paper cups. There was a huge three layer cake covered in loops and swirls and curlycues of white icing, with a man and lady on top, holding hands, but no ice cream. There was a bubbly, sweet red punch for the children, and pale bubbly stuff out of bottles for the grownups. Kathy stuffed herself silly, as she'd been too nervous to eat breakfast.

There was a real, live band playing music, but it was that old, clunky stuff. The ringbearer danced with her, holding her stiffly at arm's length, and counting off steps under his breath as his mother beamed. Kathy was so frustrated that she deliberately stepped on his toes till he quit.

The band took a break, and Kathy followed them out into the kitchen. They were sitting around a table, eating, drinking beer, smoking, and flirting with the girls who worked for the caterer. Kathy marched up to the leader and stood before him, hands on hips. "Don't you know anything but that old poop you're playing?"

The others chuckled as he regarded her through a haze of cigarette smoke. "You don't like our music?"

She made a face. "Do you?"

He smiled wryly. "It ain't my first choice, but it's what they want at gigs like this."

"Don't you know any rock 'n roll?"

He sat up a little straighter, curious. "What does a rich, high class little doll like you know about rock?"

She snorted, and began ticking off on her fingers. "Bill Haley an' the Comets, Buddy Holly an' the Crickets, Elvis Presley, Little Richard..."

"Okay, okay. You're hip, all right. So, you wanna hear some rock and roll?"

"I want to dance!"

He chuckled. "What the hell... excuse me, lady. What the heck. We been paid, they ain't gettin' it back. Okay, princess. We'll get you at least one good tune. More, if they don't stop us and chuck us out."

Kathy waited eagerly right up by the bandstand when they came back out and took their places. The lead grabbed the mike and said, "We're back for our final set, folks. This cat just got a request from a little kitten that's too sweet to be told no, so get ready to shake the dust off. It's time to rock." And the band launched into a raucous version of Rock Around the Clock.

From the first note, Kathy crowed in exaultation, and started to move. The crowd fell away, giving her room. There was some awkwardness in the steps, and she didn't seem quite sure what to do with her arms, but no one could doubt her energy and enthusiasm. Most of the older guests stood back with disapproving, scandalized expressions on their faces, but the younger ones loved it. They surrounded the girl, clapping and shouting encouragement.

Margaret was rolling her eyes, seething. "My god, I never knew she was such an attention hog! She's making a spectacle of herself." *And she's getting a better reaction than I ever did dancing topless* she thought angrily.

"Now, Margaret. I think it's cute. She's just having a good time." Wallace soothed. His opinion changed a moment later when a teenage boy leaped into the circle, grabbed Kathy's hand, and began to whirl her through some jitterbug moves. Kathy laughed and squealed joyously as the boy lowered her to the floor, stepped over her, and whisked her up from between his straddling legs. He jerked her up, and she landed astraddle his leg, and he stumpped along with her, both of them waving their hands in the truckin' maneuver.

Wallace Bernard never shouted. Never. He walked over to the bandstand and jerked the plug out of the amplifier. The guitar died into a tinny strum, and the drums and bass stuttered to a halt. It became very quiet, except for a few whispers. He said cooly and firmly, "That was not the type music you were hired to play."

The young man with the guitar shrugged. "Cutie there asked for it, and I hate to turn down a lady."

"I don't blame her. She's too young to know what's appropriate and what isn't, but you should have had better sense. We're through with your services."

He shrugged again, and looked past him to a crestfallen Kathy. "I tried, kiddo." He pointed a finger at her like a gun. "You keep rockin'." Then he and the others began to pack up their instruments.

Wallace turned to Margaret. "It's just as well. You should go and change, so we have plenty of time to get to the train station."

The guests began saying goodbye and drifting away, and Maggie went off to a side room to get out of her gown and into her travelling dress. Kathy, feeling sulky because her dance had been interupted, decided to hide and pout. The bandstand was draped all around with a ruffly cloth to conceal the struts and braces underneith, and she crawled behind that. It would make an excellent lair.

Footsteps approached, and they stopped almost exactly in front of her. She heard Wallace speaking. She could see the very soles of two sets of shoes on the other side of the cloth just before her. One of the pairs were high heels. " You don't talk to me from one year to the next, you don't say a word to me when you come here to act a maid of honor for my bride, and now you button hole me and demand a private talk. What can be so important that it can't wait till I get back from my honeymoon?"

The voice that answered was so low that Kathy at first didn't recognize it. "You know very well Wallace."

"No, I don't. Your trust fund is operating, as it should. You've been staying on your medication, haven't you?"

"Yes." A hesitation. "No. I don't like it. It makes me feel dopey all the time."

A martyred sigh. Wallace sounded very patient. "We've discussed this, Lacey." Lacey. It was Mr. Wally's sister, the pretty lady in the green dress with the troubled eyes. "You know that your therapist said that you could become delusional if you didn't..."

"I'm not delusional! I've never been delusional. You almost had me convinced I was for awhile, you and that charlatan you hired to cure me."

"Come now, you know how ridiculous those accusations you made were. You, yourself, admitted that."

"Of course I did! You had me in a mental hospital, and it was the only way I could get out!"

"It was for your own safety. When mother died, and you made that suicide attempt, I had to do something. I'll never forgive mother for feediing your fantasies like she did. If she'd gotten you help right away instead of shipping you off to boarding school..."

Lacey's voice trembled. "She did it because it was the only way she knew to protect me. She knew Dad would never believe you were capable of doing what you did to your own sister."

"He wouldn't, thank God. Neither will anyone else, if you start up again. They all know your history. Poor, sick Lacey." There was a nasty edge to Mr. Bernard's voice that Kathy had never heard before. He didn't sound nice at all.

"Put on all the show you like for the rest of the world, Wallace. I know. We both know what you did, and you can't convince me I imagined it all."

"Look Lacey, I'm sorry if you misinterpretted natural affection for something unwholesome."

The lady gave a ragged laugh. "Natural affection, he calls it! I used to think that nothing would have happened if we hadn't shared a bed that summer at the beach cottage. If Dad only hadn't decided to get frugal and take two bedrooms instead of three. But I know now that you just would have found some other opportunity to start."

"I can see that I'll have to have a talk with Dr. Lange. Perhaps you need a different prescription, or an increased dosage."

"Don't threaten me, Wally. I may not be able to get the authorities to listen after all these years, but the tabloids would. And you know what that would do to your precious reputation. Suddenly all your country club friends wouldn't know you anymore."

"Now who's threatening? I don't understand what you want, Lacey. I'm seeing that you're taken care of, I don't try to see you or contact you in any way. I only asked you to be in the wedding party because it would have looked strange if I didn't. What is it that has you so agitated?"

There was a pause, and when the lady spoke again, her voice was very low. "I was eight when you started on me, Wally. How old is that little girl, seven?"

"You're being disgusting."

"I saw how you looked at her. When that boy danced with her, you nearly exploded with jealousy. You can't do it, you can't ruin her like you ruined me. I swear, Wally, I'll tell. I'll go to the sleaziest scandal rag I can and give them an exclusive interview, with all the gorey details, and I won't even take a fee. They'll blast it from coast to coast. They'll be cursing you in every supermarket checkout line in America."

Wallace Bernard spoke slowly and evenly. "Lacey, that little girl is perfectly safe. I have no bad intentions toward her. Her mother will be there to look after her. If it will ease your mind, I'll agree to send her away to school, but not for a year or two. She's still far too young."

"I'm going to keep in contact with her. I'm going to call her every week. If I ever hear one hint in her voice, one word... I'm hanging up and dialing the first tabloid I can find."

"Don't worry, this is going to be one of the happiest girls on earth."

There was a babble of voices from the hallway, and the footsteps moved away. Kathy waited till she was sure they were gone, then crawled out, dusting herself off. She was frowning. What had that been all about? Apparently Mr. Wally had been mean to his sister when she was little. He was a lot older. When Lacey was little, he'd have been a big kid, a teenager. Almost a man. What did he do that made her so angry after she'd grown up?

Kathy heard her name being called, and trotted out to the jammed hallway. Mr. Wally was in a dark suit, like he normally wore, and her mother was wearing a pretty peach colored dress with a matching hat. She'd never been able to afford matching hats before, she always bought what she called neutral shades, that she could wear with anything. Mommy extended a hand that was encased in a dainty white kid glove. "Come on, where have you been?"

Mr. Wally glanced back toward the room she'd just exited and said, "Yes, where were you? I was in there a minute ago and didn't see you." He was looking at her intently.

Kathy took a deep breath, and for the first time consciously lied to a grownup. "I was in the kitchen."

Mr. Bernard relaxed, and smiled. "Don't tell me you're still hungry after all that cake you put away?"

"I just like kitchens."

"Well, we were about to leave you, silly. You can ride with me and your Mom to the train station. Then Mrs. Logan will take you back to your new home, and she'll take care of you till we get back from our honeymoon."

They climbed into the back of the big black car that had all sorts of shoes and cans tied to the back bumper. Everyone was throwing rice at them, and Kathy would be brushing it out of her hair for two days. As they drove off, Wallace said, "Maggie, did Lacey say anything unpleasant to you back there?"

"No. She scarcely spoke at all. I got the feeling she didn't like me."

"It's nothing personal. I've told you about her...problems. I'm afraid she's getting worse. She's showing signs of another breakdown. When we get back, I'm signing the commitment papers. A few months in a good saniterium should help. There's no cure, but sometimes she can function on the outside, with assistance and medication."

"Poor Lacey."

"Yes, poor sick Lacey." Wallace looked at Kathy, who was watching him. "She didn't frighten you, did she Kathy?" Kathleen shook her head. "Good. You just have to remember that if she says anything scary or mean, it's not her fault, and it's not true. Let's not talk about it any more. It makes me very sad." He changed the subject. "I'm sorry, but there aren't any children your age to play with at my house, Kathy. We're a little way out of the city, and there isn't another house for more than a mile. But you'll have plenty to do. I made sure your room was stocked with all kinds of toys and books."

When she didn't reply, her mother poked her sharply in the side. "Say thank you, Kathy."

"Thank you."

"Thank you, Wally."

"Thank you, Mister Wally."

"Kathy..."

"Now Maggie, " he interceded. "It will take some time. If I can be patient, so can you. She'll come around, once she sees how fond I am of her."

"I don't see how she can doubt it, Wally. You've been so good to her already."

Wallace Bernard reached out and stroked his new step-daughter's hair, sliding the glistening strands sensuously through his fingers. "Believe me, Maggie, I haven't begun to show the depths of my affection."



1957-Concealment

It didn't really do any good to hide, Kathy knew that by now. The trouble was that Mister Wally had grown up in this house, and knew all the good hiding places, too. But still she had to try, because it didn't do any good to fight, either. Mr. Wally might look skinny, but he was strong.

Her mother had gone into town for one of her frequent 'day of beauty' regimes. When Kathy heard Mister Wally telling Mrs. Logan that she could take the morning off and didn't have to be back till it was time to fix supper, she knew what was going to happen, so she hid.

This time she went into one of the unused bedrooms upstairs, being careful to shut the door quietly. In the bathroom she opened the cabinet under the sink and pushed aside the stack of fluffy towels that were changed every three days, whether there were guests or not. That left just enough room for her to squeeze inside and shut the door after herself.

She sat in the cramped, stuffy darkness, head bent but still pressing against the sink above . Her knees were uncomfortably bent up around her chin, but she didn't stir, didn't shift even minutely to try for a more comfortable position. He might not have found her that last time if she hadden't gotten a cramp and thumped her numb foot against the side of the laundry cart in the basement. He probably would have, but he might not have.

Kathy couldn't help but wonder if things would have been different if Lacey hadn't killed herself a week after she was committed. Probably not. Lacey had seemed nice, but she just wasn't a strong person. She hadn't been able to fight for herself, and she wouldn't have been able to fight for Kathy. When someone hurts you, thought Kathy, why hurt yourself more? That's dumb. Hurt them. She was surprised at herself. Where had that thought come from?

He started calling her as soon as Mrs. Logan's station wagon left the drive. There was no urgency in his voice--that would come later. Now he sounded casual, pleasant, and terribly, terribly patient. He knew that it would be hours before Maggie or the housekeeper returned. He had plenty of time.

She heard him moving about downstairs. He didn't have to check the basement--he'd put a lock on it the first month. He checked all the places she'd hidden before: the pantry, the front closet, the seat of the bay window. Kathy knew he didn't really believe she'd be in any of those places. Most children her age wouldn't have known how to phrase it, but Kathy knew that this was a 'ritual' for Mr. Wally. He knew she was cowering somewhere, listening to him getting closer, and he thought it was funny. He liked it when she was scared.

He came upstairs, still calling her. Then he came in the room, and pretended he thought she was hiding in the closet, then under the bed. She could tell by the stupid sing-song tone of his voice that he knew she wasn't there, and was just teasing her. Then he opened the cabinet door and stooped down, peering in at her with a grin. "There you are! That was a good game of hide-and-seek, but I won. I always win, Kathy. Why don't you come out now?"

"Leave me alone."

"What do we say when we ask someone to do something?"

"Please leave me alone."

"That's right. You have to learn to always say please, and you have to learn that sometimes it doesn't work." He grabbed her ankles and dragged her out. Kathy shrieked, and Mr. Wally laughed. He let her make as much noise as she could when they were alone in the house. If anyone else was home she had to be quiet. She'd learned not to scream those times, no matter how much he hurt her, after he once choked her into unconsciousness.

Kathy knew that the quickest way to get it over with was to just do what he wanted. The second quickest way was to lie there and let it happen, trying to think about something else, but she was so tired of being afraid, and being in pain.

She went limp, and Mr. Wally knelt down and began to unfasten his pants. I wish I was someone else, she thought. I wish I was brave enough and strong enough to get him. I can't stand this. Then, quite suddenly, Kathy went away.

That was the only way she could explain it to herself later. For a few seconds, she just wasn't there. She was no longer on a cold tile floor, smelling Old Spice and sweat. She wasn't sure where she was. It was someplace gray and foggy, but it felt safe. She didn't know how long she was there--there was no sense of the passage of time, but it couldn't have been long.

She didn't recall opening her eyes, but suddenly she was looking up at Mr. Wally again, feeling the tile, and hearing him swear. He was clutching his thing, all bent over like it hurt him. When he looked up, the fury in his face terrified her, but the hunger there scared her even more. "So, you want to fight? That's just fine."

It lasted longer than any of the other times. When he was done he'd ripped away the front of her dress in his excitement. He'd never done that before, always being careful not to damage her clothes because Your mother clothes. He took it and told her to go get cleaned up while he disposed of it. Kathy could scarcely walk to her own bathroom, but she knew that a hot bath would help. It always did.

That evening, her mother came into the recreation room, where she was watching television. She was carrying the ruined dress, and frowning. "Kathy, Mrs. Logan found this in the trash. How on earth did you tear it, and why did you try to hide it from me?"

Kathy looked at the ragged cloth, and thought, He made a mistake. Now I can tell her, now I have proof. Aloud she said. "I didn't tear it. Mr. Wally tore it."

"Don't lie to me, Kathy. I'll punish you for lying just as much as I will for ruining your dress."

"She's not lying, dear. I did tear it, in a way." Wallace Bernard came in.

Maggie frowned. "But how?"

"I didn't mean to, of course, but it was that, or let Kathy break her neck." He held up a hand toward Kathy, as if telling her not to interrupt. "I'm sorry, Kathy, but your mother deserves to know. I know I said I wouldn't tell, but you've got to learn not to endanger yourself." He looked directly into Maggie's face. "I'm afraid she was playing on the stairs. I found her trying to walk along the top rail, like a balancing beam. She started to fall, and I reached out and just managed to catch the front of her dress, and it ripped clean through. She was so afraid that you'd be upset that I said I wouldn't tell you, but I wouldn't lie if you found out."

"That's kind of you, Wally. But it really isn't protecting her to let her get away with such dangerous foolishness." She looked at Kathy sternly. "Now what do you have to say, young lady?"

Kathy stared unbelievingly at her mother. The story was so glaringly false, how could she believe it? "I say, " she said slowly, "that if my dress ripped off in his hand, like he said, why didn't I fall?"

There was complete silence. The look on Mr. Bernard's face said he realized that he'd been clumsy in his explanation, if a nine year old could poke a hole in it so effortlessly. Maggie just looked stupid.

There were gears grinding in her mind, switches clicking--Kathy could almost see the process. A light of understanding was beginning to dawn. Kathy's hopes soared. Now her mother would ask her exactly what had happened. And when Kathy told her, she would take her away from this awful man, and protect her.

The understanding grew, and it was joined by fear. Yes, that was logical. Mr. Wallace was a scary man, and now her mother knew it, too. But then there was anger. And the anger wasn't directed at Mr. Wally. "How dare you, " Maggie snarled. Her voice was ugly, and her face, with the carefully applied make up, twisted. "How dare you suggest such a thing?"

"But Mommy..."

"After all he's done for me, all he's given me. You. He gives you everything, not like that worthless father of yours. I don't have to work. You can go to college someday. And this is how you thank him? Filthy lies."

There was actual hatred in her tone. Kathy had known for a long time that Mommy didn't love her the way mothers loved their little girls in the story books, but she'd never seemed to hate her. "But I didn't say..." Kathy stopped abruptly, realizing something. She repeated slowly. "I didn't say anything bad about him. I said he tore my dress. Why are you so mad?"

"Go to your room, Kathy. You can stay there for the rest of the week and think about what you did."

Kathy stood her ground, peering into her mother's face. "All I said was he tore my dress. What filthy lies are you talking about, Mommy?" Maggie's eyes flickered, unable to meet hers, and Kathy felt a sinking in her belly.

Mommy knew. Mommy must have known for some time, and she had been pretending that she didn't know. She was going to keep on pretending because Mr. Bernard was rich, and he belonged to the country club. People who got their pictures on the society page liked him, and that meant they liked Mommy, too. That was more important to her than the fact that Mr. Bernard hurt Kathy and made her afraid. Mommy wasn't ever going to protect her. She was alone.

As she realized that, Kathy felt a queer sensation. It was like it had been in the bathroom. Suddenly, she wasn't there anymore. She was in that foggy, featureless place, and she liked it. It was comfortable, and peaceful. She didn't want to go back, but she wasn't strong enough to stay there very long. She slid back into herself to find Mommy and Mr. Wally staring at her, open mouthed.

At last her mother choked out, "Where... where did you learn that language? I want to know who taught you those words, and I want to know right now!" Kathy shrugged, bewildered. She, of course, hadn't said anything, but it seemed that someone else had.

"After all, Maggie, " said Wallace. "You must remember where you lived and worked before you came to me. There's no telling what the child was exposed to. It's just good that you got her into a clean environment before she could be completely corrupted. Go to your room, Kathy. You've behaved very badly today."

"And to think, " said her mother sniffily, "that I was going to ask you what you wanted for your birthday."

Without hesitation Kathy said, "A lock on my bedroom door," and left the room.



1959--Revelation

Kathy leaned closer to her reflection in the mirror, staring intently into her own eyes. She murmured, "Hello?" The glassy lips formed the question along with her, then remained still as she waited for a reply. "I know you're in there. Why won't you talk to me?" Silence and stillness again.

Kathy sighed. There was another girl inside her, that could be the only explanation for what had been happening the last two years. There had been...blank spots. Like that first time in the guest bathroom, and later in the recreation room. It only happened when she was angry, or frightened. Not every time, but it had been happening with increasing frequency. She would go away without warning, and return to find that she had been fighting with Wallace, or her mother. She only knew this because of what they said, she never had any personal memory.

Whoever this other person was, she wasn't meek, that was for certain. Mr. Wally sometimes nursed bruises for days, and once he'd gotten a split lip. Kathy herself had a few blue marks after that experience, but it had been worth it. The few times Maggie had any direct contact with Kathy these days, she lamented bitterly that "I just don't know you anymore." It didn't lessen Bernard's attentions, though. He called her a spitfire and his little hellcat.

Kathy left her bathroom, and went back to her room. She picked up a thick volume she had been reading, and opened it to a marked page. Ever since man began to verbalize, names have been important. Surely the first names were simple physical descriptions, such as 'Dark' or 'Tall'. As the size of a group grew, more complicated names were necessary to distinguish individuals, say 'Squint Eye' or 'Tiny Ears.' Then they probably moved on to object or creature names that embodied actual or hoped for characteristics. Boy babies might be named 'Stone' or 'Wolf''. A girl might be named 'Flower' or 'Butterfly'. Names meaning all virtues flourished: 'Wisdom', 'Grace', 'Mercy', 'Honor'. The following is a listing of names and their meanings.

Kathy settled on to her bed and started skimming through the names. She'd decided that maybe if she could call the girl inside by her name, she might be willing to talk. She was hoping that she could figure out the right name by finding out what they meant. Auquil, wise. Hm. No. Aimainah, peace, harmony. Kathy snorted softly. Not likely. Abby, gives joy. No. Abira, strong. Now that's a possibility. Abrasia, unknown. Hey, that might... Oh, they just mean they don't know. Acacia, thorny. She paused.

Kathy said the name aloud, "Acacia." She rolled it on her tongue. "Aa-kay-seeee-ahh. Thorny. Sharp. Stinging. Strong." She lifted her eyes from the book and stared off into space. Her eyes were unfocused, the normally brilliant blue misty, blurry. She whispered. "Acacia?"

There was a movement at the corner of her vision, but she didn't try to look at it. That was a sure way to drive her away, she knew. Instead, she just sat, and stared, and waited. "Acacia."

There was a touch, a tickle at the back of her head. Inside her head? A breathy voice sighed, "Yesss. Acacia."

"Are you inside me?" No answer. "Please, don't go away."

The whisper came again, stronger. "Won't go, Kitten. Kitten needs me."

Tears pricked her eyes. "Yes, I need you. I need someone so bad."

"Kathy is sad. Kathy is hurt. He hurts you."

It was as if someone was enveloping her in a soft, warm cocoon. The grey fog started to creep across her vision. This was the first time it had happened when she wasn't hurt or furious or frightened. It was strange to her, but she welcomed it. "Are you coming?"

"I'm always here, Kathy. I'll never leave you now. But I don't think it will be enough. He's strong, Kitten. And I'm still a little girl."

"Who are you?"

"Go look in the mirror." Dreamily, Kathy rose to her feet. The book thumped unheeded to the floor, and she drifted to the mirror over her bathroom sink, and looked in.

There was another girl in the mirror. Instead of her own reflection, there was another girl. She looked a lot like Kathleen. She had the same caramel colored hair streaked with cream, the same pointed face. But the blue eyes, instead of being soft and hurt, were sharp, sparkling--feral. She smiled at Kathy. And though Kathy knew that the girl meant her no harm, that she probably felt quite kindly toward her, Kathy shivered. It wasn't a nice smile at all. It was like she was baring her teeth. Again Kathy asked, "Who are you?"

"Your Daddy said you'd be a good little hunter, didn't he? I think that's me." She shrugged. Kathy didn't move, but she saw the reflection's shoulders lift. "Does it matter? You need me. I'm here. I'll do what I can to keep The Bastard off you. But there's not much I can do now. I'm still too little. But I won't always be little, will I? And the Change Daddy talked about should come in a few more years. Maybe that'll help."

"You mean my monthlies?" Kathy shuddered. "He'll be able to get me pregnant then."

"But he won't. He's a sly Bastard. He'll start using protection. I wish I could take you away now, but there's no chance. As young as we are? We'd be picked up in a few hours, maybe a day. And God, what he'd do to you when they brought you home."

Kathy squeezed her eyes shut at the thought. She'd stopped threatening to tell. It made him so much worse.

"I have to step back now, Kathy."

"No! Wait!"

The voice was fainter. "I can't. I'm not strong enough yet to stay for long. But I won't be far. And if you want me bad enough, if you think of me hard enough, I can come." The voice had almost died. "Someday when you're ready to rest, I'll be able to stay."

"Acacia?" The lovely fog was gone. All the edges of the world were once again bright and sharp and hurtful. She splayed her fingers on the cold glass, touching the face that was once again just her reflection. "Acacia." She moaned. "Get strong fast. Please. I want to leave this place."



1961--Strengthening

"I want to go to school."

Maggie grimaced, staring discontentedly at her half grapefruit and rye toast. "Don't be stupid, Kathy. Kid's your age don't want to go to school. It's not natural." She sprinkled salt over the glistening yellow hemisphere Why do I even bother? It's not like Wallace is interested. I could turn into a whale and he wouldn't notice unless his friends said something. Grimly digging in with her grapefruit spoon, she said, "You don't need to go to school You're doing just fine with your tutor."

"I want to go to junior high. I want to be around kids my own age. I'm bored here by myself all the time."

Maggie glared at her daughter sourly. She had that tone in her voice again. Margaret just didn't understand it. Kathleen hadn't been exactly a docile child when she was little, but she hadn't been openly defiant. She wished Wally would nip that in the bud. He was entirely too indulgent with the girl sometimes.

That was why Maggie couldn't understand Kathy's attitude. Wally gave her everything: a lavish home, all the beautiful clothes she wanted (though the child showed a depressing lack of interest in that area. She would have chosen the most absolutely dire clothes unless Wally had insisted on pretty things.), all the latest and most popular music to be played on a state of the art hi-fi system. Even jewelry, real gold and stones. More importantly, he was providing the same perks for Maggie.

He was even giving her an excellent education through tutors who came to the house. What in God's name did the little bitch want? All she had to do was spread her legs occasionally. Lord knows her mother had done it often enough to keep food in the brat's belly.

Maggie nibbled at the dry toast, wishing she dared to add a smear of butter. But if she wanted that boiled potato for lunch, she'd better not. She tried washing it down with some skim milk, but that stuff was really foul. Maybe if she added some saccharine and vanilla...

"Mom?"

Maggie sighed. God, she was whining again. She hated it when Kathy whined. Her voice could go right through her head like an ice pick. She said irritably, "Ask Wally." Then...later she realized she shouldn’t have said it. The subject was never spoken of, but somehow it just slipped out. She said pointedly "You know what you have to do to get what you want out of him."

The low, snarling sound alerted her to her mistake. It wouldn’t have been soon enough to do anything for her, but Kathleen’s aim wasn’t as good as it would be in later years. The sugar bowl sailed over Maggie’s shoulder instead of pegging her between the eyes, as the child had meant it. Fine white granules sprayed the length of the table, sifting into her hair and over and inside her clothes. The delicate china (irreplaceable, Wallace had assured her) shattered against the wall, laying a ragged scratch on the hand printed wall paper.

Maggie, frozen, looked across at her daughter in astonishment.

Or rather, she thought she did. The glittering blue eyes that met her own belonged to a girl who had been around the house for increasing amounts of time the last year. Wallace and Maggie didn’t know of her existence. They just knew that sometimes Kathy... wasn’t herself.

Acacia bared her teeth at The Bitch. Missed, damn it. I think I could have concussed her with that. Maybe broken her nose. Might have even marked her face up permanently, if I was lucky.

"What... what the fuck are you doing?"

"Cussing my aim. I wanna go to school, you bitch! Is that too much to ask?"

"Go to your room!"

"Screw you."

The girl jumped up and stalked out of the breakfast room. Maggie glared after her, brushing sticky grit off her lap. Now she’d have to go have her hair done again. Honestly, the girl need treatment of some sort. She knew Wallace was against it, but maybe the doctor who had treated his sister...Lange, wasn’t it? According to Wally Lacey had been quiet and docile as long as she took her medication under Lange’s supervision. Maybe a few pills would calm the insufferable brat down.

Acacia went to her room--not because The Bitch had told her to, but because there was nowhere else in the house that was preferable. In her room, she could at least listen to her records and dance.

She fitted the plastic core on the spindle, so that the singles would fit properly, then started sifting through her massive collection of 45s. Each one was neatly slotted in it’s paper sleeve, and stacked on end in a sturdy wooden box designed just to hold them. Acacia loaded the spindle till she could barely fit the arm over them to hold them in place, and started the record player.

She turned the volume up, and stepped away into the center of the room as the first record dropped, and the tone arm swung out and settled down. The high, wailing organ of Dell Shannon’s ‘Runaway’ started, and she began to dance. She sang as she bounced to the music. "An’ I wonder, I wha-wha-wha-wha wonderrr... Why, why why why why why, she ran away. An’ I wonderrr, where she will stay-ay. My little runaway. Ah run-run-run-run run away..."

Ricky Nelson said hello to Mary Lou, Dion wandered, then lamented about a runaround named Sue. The Marvelettes pleaded with Mr. Postman, the Dovells talked about kids sharp as pistols stompin’ in Bristol, and both Joey Dee and the Starlighters, and Chubby Checkers urged her to twist.

By the time the needle ticked against the spindle, and the record player shut itself off, she had worked most of the rage out. Acacia dropped back on the bed, the one with the stupid, frilly canopy, and stared up, panting. Her legs were trembling from exertion, but she was getting stronger. She could dance longer and longer now. She figured it would be a good idea to have strong legs when she got ready to run away. There was sure to be a lot of walking involved.

As she lay there, thinking about leaving, a voice whispered to her. "What will we do for money?" Acacia sat up and looked around cautiously. No one. But then, had she really heard the voice, or had she thought it. The voice came again, a little stronger this time. It sounded like a girl. "We can’t travel without money. We’ll need to buy food and stuff."

"Kathy?" That didn’t seem likely. Kitten didn’t talk to Acacia when she went into the fog. She was too happy there, and too worried about having to come back. She wanted to stay there more and more these days.

"Not Kathy."

"Who are you?"

"Come and see."

Acacia didn’t have to have it explained to her. She knew how she had shown herself to Kathleen the first time. She crawled off the bed and went to the mirror, peering in.

Another girl looked back at her. She had the same blue, slightly tilted eyes, and the same pointy face. But her hair was short, black, and shiny, almost like a china doll’s. Her lips were very red, and there were grey shadows above her eyes, and Acacia realized that she was wearing grown-up make up. The Bitch said that Kathleen (and by extension, Acacia) couldn’t wear make up till she was sixteen.

The girl smiled at her. The smile was small, but toothy. Acacia found herself smiling back. That was unusual enough, but what was really bizarre was that there was absolutely no ill will in the expression. Acacia smiling was usually someone to be approached with caution. But she saw something of herself in this other girl, and felt a kinship. She touched a fingertip to the mirror, and the girl in the reflection did the same, their fingertips separated by what felt like a film of ice. Acacia breathed, "Sister?" The other girl nodded. "Tell me your name."

"No, you tell me my name."

Acacia studied her. There was something ancient and knowing in her eyes. She had learned much, and was prepared to use it in whatever way would best serve herself, and her sisters. Finally Acacia spoke. "Naresha."

Naresha’s smile broadened. "Ruler of men." She nodded. "Very appropriate, big sister. I will rule men."

"Why haven’t I seen you before?"

"I wasn’t needed before. Now I am, so I am born. You need me to exercise a bit of control, Acacia. If you keep on the way you are, they’ll lock you up. They’ll drug you, like they did Lacey. No one listens now, but no one will ever listen to ‘poor, sick Kathleen’."

"I hate them. I want to kill them."

"So do we all. But why trade one prison for another? If we are patient, if we are sly, we can get away. All of us. But we’ll need money--money to get away, and then money on a regular basis to live."

"I can steal."

"I’ve no doubt of that, dear sister. But that would draw attention. We don’t want attention. We want to slip through the world like a breeze. Kathleen has been saving the allowance they give her, hasn’t she?"

"Yes, but it isn’t all that much."

"I know how I can add to it."

"How?"

"Like The Bitch said, The Bastard will do almost anything... with the right incentive."

Acacia’s face twisted in rage. "No! I don’t want to do that."

"You won’t, dear." Naresha soothed. "You’ll be away, with Kathleen. You’ll keep Kitten occupied while I do what has to be done. It isn’t so much, really." He smile had a hint of sly cruelty. "I’ll enjoy the control. Because I will be in control, no matter what he believes. And it won’t always be what you think, either. I believe most of the time all that will be necessary will be to make him believe that I don’t hate him." Her eyes slitted, and the smile became more of a snarl. "It’s just lucky that I’m such a damn good actress."

There were footsteps in the hall, and Naresha cocked her head. "He’s coming. The Bitch has complained. Why don’t you go and join Kathleen? Leave The Bastard to me. I think it’s time we met."

"Are you sure?" There was rough concern in Acacia’s voice.

The look Naresha gave her was tender. "Yes, pet. I’m sure. Don’t worry about me, I’ll be alright. His sort are my meat."

Acacia drifted back into the fog, thinking I won’t tell Kathy about Naresha, not yet. I can handle what Naresha will do... barely. But Kathy... Kathy has been hurt enough. Better she not know. She closed her eyes...

...and Naresha opened hers. She looked at herself in the mirror, and wished that The Bastard could see her as she really was. But while The Sisters were trapped here, she’d have to wear poor Kathy’s appearance. Oh well, another example of how very, very blind the rest of the world could be.

Wallace Bernard paused outside his stepdaughter’s bedroom, his hand on the doorknob, listening. There was usually music. There had been, up till a few moments ago--that loud, rock and roll nonsense she was so fond of. Pure trash, but it was... nice when she danced.

He remembered the first time he’d seen her dance, at the wedding. She’d been awkward, but so enthusiastic: bouncing and flying all over the floor, slender arms waving and nonexistent hips shimmying--perfect innocense and abandon. He didn’t get to see her dance much these days. She either did it in her room, or when he was away. Except when he ordered her to, and that just wasn’t the same.

Wallace opened the door stealthily. Sometimes he could catch her half dressed. That was always fun. She’d blush so hot, jerking her clothes down over the beginning swells of her breasts. She was finally growing tits, but the sparse hair on her groin was still silky. She’d have her monthlies soon, be a real woman. He’d have to start using protection if he didn’t want to knock her up. And he didn’t want to. As much fun as it would be, it would be just too damn hard to explain to the rest of the world.

She wasn’t in her room, but the bathroom door was standing open. He eased over to it, and peered cautiously inside, hoping to find her at some intimate occupation.

Kathy was standing at the sink. She was staring at her own reflection in the mirror, fingertips grazing the glass, absorbed. You would think that she was looking into another world, Alice gazing into the looking glass, perhaps. He cleared his throat.

She didn’t flinch, didn’t jump. Instead she turned her head slowly, hand still to the mirror. He didn’t seem to be able to startle her anymore these days. She looked at him, studied him, her face a perfectly smooth, blank mask. "Kathy, your mother says you threw the sugar bowl at her." Kathy nodded gravely. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Kathleen moved slightly. She turned, and rested one slim hip against the sink, crossing her arms over the bosom that was barely discernable under her dress. Lately she had been either timid, or aggressively energetic in her movements. This was languid. "I missed."

"That’s not the point, Kathy. You could have really hurt her. Why did you do it?"

"She bores me. Doesn’t she bore you?"

This was new. Kathy didn’t talk about her mother much. When she did, it was usually with venomous sarcasm, but this was the first time he’d heard such cool contempt. "Sometimes, yes. But you can’t do things like that, Kathy. You made a dreadful mess, and you broke an irreplaceable piece of china."

Her lips pursed in a pooh-pooh gesture. "Well, we have servants to clean up the mess, don’t we? But I am sorry about the sugar bowl, Wally." She sighed. "My temper." She shook her head sadly.

"You’re not calling me mister any more?"

"Oh, not right now. If you don’t mind?"

"I don’t mind." He’d been trying to get her to use the intimacy of his given name without a title since he’d known her. She’d always refused. Maybe she was finally willing to settle in to the relationship. She did seem much more mature, somehow.

She came closer, moving with the sliding grace he so admired. It looked like she was going to avoid the ‘awkward stage’. She sighed deeply, and again his gaze was caught by the rise and fall of her budding breasts. "I suppose," she said regretfully, "That it wouldn’t do me any good to ask you a favor right now?"

"Ask and find out."

"I was hoping to go to the movies later on, but I’m afraid I’ve spent all my allowance." She gave him a shy smile. "I’m such a scatterbrain."

When was the last time she had smiled at him? "How much do you need?"

"I suppose five would be too much?" Naresha’s eyes were doe like, soft. Yes, that’s right. I’m questioning your generosity. I really believe you’re a tightwad, but I’m willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, and I would just be so impressed if you gave me more than I asked for.

"You’ll need to have lunch. And maybe you’ll see something you want while you’re in town." He took out his wallet, and handed her two tens.

"Oh." She made her voice breathy and wondering. Naresha laid a hand on his arm, stood on tiptoe, and brushed her mouth lightly across his cheek. Wallace, enchanted, couldn’t tell that, beneath her soft lips, her teeth were clenched so hard that her jaw ached. "Thank you, Wally."

"Kathy..." His voice was hoarse, as he reached toward her.

She moved past him smoothly, out of his reach in an instant without seeming to hurry. "I’ll just go check the paper to see what’s playing. Maybe there’s a new Troy Donahue picture. He’s so dreamy. Of course," her voice dropped to a shy whisper. "he’s just a boy." She slid out of the room.

Wallace Bernard swallowed hard. He stared after his stepdaughter, and one hand went down unconsciously to stroke his fly.



1963-Planning

"She won’t come out." Acacia watched from her place off to the side as Naresha buffed her fingernails.

Naresha sighed, examining the sheen on her right forefinger, and applying the buffer again. "I was afraid of that. I can’t really blame her, though. Can you?"

"No, I guess not. She’s had to put up with them so much longer than we have."

"Well, Casey, you know that I don’t object in principle. Kathy has had a horrid existence here, and she deserves whatever peace she can find. But I must tell you, I’m becoming fucking sick of having to deal with The Bitch and The Bastard on a daily basis."

Acadia lifted a hand. "I’ll testify to that. It’s getting harder and harder not to just go downstairs to the kitchen and get a big ass knife out of that butcher block."

"No," Naresha said firmly. "We’ve discussed that. I’m good, but I don’t think even I would be able to convince the police that it was a burglary or domestic dispute. They act disgustingly civil to each other in public. And you, my dear, have had a few rather public scenes with them."

Acacia flushed. "Well, they piss me off."

"I know that, darling. And your anger is perfectly justified. But it is so inconvenient to have a reputation for violent tendencies toward your parents if they’re found slaughtered."

"We have got to get out of here." Unable to stay still for long, Acacia jumped up and began prowling the room. Naresha watched her sister with half exasperated affection. Anyone who looked in the room would have seen a fifteen year old girl lounging on her bed, her eyes seeming to wander purposelessly around the room.

"Patience, my pet. We can begin our preparations, if that will calm you."

"What preparations? We throw some clothes in a bag and blow."

Naresha sighed. "And be picked up before we reach the next town. No, Acacia. Certain steps must be taken first. We’ll need ID, and not in Kathy’s name. We won’t want them to be able to track us through them once we leave. We’ll need to change appearance. Your hair and Kathy's is rather distinctive. I should think some different clothing would be in order, too. Inexpensive things, nothing flashy till we get far away. That will also have the added advantage that we can be prepacked, and they won’t notice any of our things missing."

"What are we going to do about the ID?"

"Oh, that’s simple enough. We check the newspaper morgue for births of girls two or three years before Kathy’s birth. We can get a copy of their birth certificate at city records for just a few dollars. Then we use that to get an ID card in that name."

"Why not a driver’s license?"

"Because you need to be eighteen to get one of those without parental permission. And you have to take Driver’s Ed. And we won’t be here that long, will we? Plus," she said matter of factly, "We can’t drive. We’d never pass the test. Later, we can switch the name to whatever we like. Have you been giving any thought to that? I think you should choose. You’re so good with the meanings."

Acacia shrugged. "Later. We can stick with whatever we come up with for awhile. I’ll want to see how our lives are going to turn out before I make a permanent decision. You know, I just thought...I’m damn glad The Bastard never adopted us. I think I’d really have to cut his throat if I had his name attached to me."

"Amen." Naresha buffed busily for a moment or so, then said quietly. "You know, he wants us to start dating."

Acacia frowned. "Why didn’t I know that?"

"You were preoccupied with Kathy when he brought it up."

"What the hell is he up to now?"

"You’re right, he is up to something. The very idea of another male having anything to do with us makes him foam at the mouth. You’ve noticed, of course, that we’ve had nothing but female tutors for the last five years."

Acacia shrugged. "I didn’t notice, except to be happy about it. Does this have anything to do with why he’s going to let us start regular school at the beginning of next year?"

"Yes, I believe it does. I have a theory. It’s heinous, but then we know that isn’t beyond him."

"What do you think?"

"I think he’s trying to set up a scapegoat."

Interested now, Acacia sat back on the bed beside her sister. "How do you mean?" Naresha looked at her with flat eyes. "I think The Bastard has decided he wants to breed himself a new playmate, and he’s going to need someone outside the family to blame it on."

Acacia gaped at her sister. If she had been speaking about almost anyone else in the world, Acacia might have at least had doubts. But Wallace Bernard? No, the idea of having a baby by his stepdaughter, and then molesting the child when it got a little older would make him cream his jeans. Acacia closed her mouth with a snap, then, biting off each word, said, "I would kill him. And then I would kill myself."

"No you wouldn’t, dear. That’s not an option. Hurt them, not yourself, remember?"

Acacia nodded slowly. "So you think he wants us to get out in the world, start dating, so he can stop using rubbers, get us pregnant, and blame it on some poor idiot who just took us out."

"Yes. I don’t think he plans on us actually having sex with anyone else. There just has to be the possibility that it happened. Then he’s in the clear. Oh, people might whisper behind their hands, but no one will do anything."

"Yeah, well, I think The Bastard may have literally fucked himself out of the chance to make himself another bed warmer."

Now it was Naresha’s turn to look interested. "What makes you say that."

"He’s been raping us since we were seven. Do the math. I don’t think the equipment is in working order. I think that if we got pregnant we’d drop the kid before it could grow real bones."

"Hm." Naresha tapped the buffer against her chin. "We’ll have to go to a doctor and have that checked once we’re away. I may let you come back and kill him if it’s true. I may encourage you to come back and kill him. In any case, the departure date should be stepped up. Tomorrow is our day at the library, and that just happens to be right across from city hall"

Naresha flexed her fingers. They were feeling a bit odd the last few days. Achy. She flexed them again, and the nails felt like they were pulling. In fact, two of her cuticles split, and bled. Frowning, she licked away the thin trickle of blood, her tongue a soothing rasp.

"It will be nice to make myself a little closer to my real appearance once we’re away," Naresha continued. "A good quality black wig, I think. I can cut it to style." She glanced at Acacia. "We should cut your hair, too. And Kathy’s. It’ll make wearing wigs easier."

"Fine by me. I only keep this mop because HE won’t let me get it cut. I still remember what he did the last time I took a pair of scissors to it." She shuddered, despite herself. She hadn’t been able to get out of bed for two days, and she’d pissed bloody for a week. The Bitch, of course, hadn’t noticed.

"Where are we going to store our escape supplies? Nowhere around here. There’s no telling where him or Mrs. Logan will snoop."

Acacia thought. Though sitting, she still swung her legs back and forth, almost congenitally unable to stay still. "Well..." she said slowly. "Isn’t the bus station just down the block from the library and city hall?"

"It is."

"Aaaaand... doesn’t the bus station have lockers to rent?"

"They do. Clever sister."

"Thank you." The girls exchanged bright, feral smiles. If Wallace Bernard had seen his stepdaughter then, he might not have slept easy.

The next morning Mrs. Logan dropped what she thought was Kathleen off at the library. She watched the girl dart up the steps and into the cool, dim interior, shaking her head. She couldn’t understand how the child could stand to read so much. Seemed like that was all she did: read, and dance to that heathen music. It shouldn’t be allowed. Mr. Bernard was so careful about not letting her date, or wear make up, or smoke, or even chew gum.

A tiny voice in the back of Mrs. Logan’s mind, barely a whisper, said, "That doesn’t mean he doesn’t screw her every chance he gets..." But Mrs. Logan had long experience in ignoring that voice, and today was no exception. She drove off for her weekly matinee. They had a new romantic comedy at the Bijoux. Something with Doris Day and Rock Hudson. He was such a virile man...

As soon as the station wagon disappeared, Naresha trotted back down the steps, hitching her purse strap higher on her shoulder, and walked across to City Hall. She studied the list of offices in the lobby, and, ignoring the elevator, trotted down the stairs to the basement.

There was a middle aged woman working behind the counter. Ah, well. Naresha had been hoping for a man. They were much easier to distract, less likely to ask questions. Women often found Naresha...disturbing. Natural female competitiveness, she supposed. Too bad Kathleen wasn’t a little more stable. She had the gentle, humble demeanor that set the half blind like this woman at ease.

Well, thought Naresha, charm was out. It might put her back up. Better to go for sincerity. She could fake that quite well. She widened her eyes, put on her best earnest look, and approached with what she hoped was the proper amount of nervous deference.

"Excuse me? I was hoping you could help me." I am but a humble supplicant. "I know you’re busy..." That True Confession’s magazine you tucked under your blotter will have to wait a moment. "Yes, I am. What do you want?"

Your throat in my hands, you snotty cunt. "I have to do a project for my sociology class, about genealogical records. I need to get a look at birth records for 1947 or 1946."

"Well, which is it?"

Naresha smiled sweetly, feeling that dull ache in her fingers again. "Oh, ‘46 I suppose." That’ll make us seventeen. I think we can pass for that without too much trouble.

The woman stared at her belligerently. "I’ll have to drag a heavy file drawer all the way over here. Can’t you just tell me what you want?"

Naresha upped the smile to saccharine level. "I won’t know what I’m looking for till I see it." Bitch.

Grumbling, the woman stalked back to a bank of file cabinets and extracted one. Grunting ostentatiously, she waddled back over to the counter and heaved it up. "You can use that table over there. And don’t you get them messed up. I have to sort them."

Naresha nodded, taking the drawer to the table. And the only reason I don’t upend this fucker before I leave is because I don’t want you to remember me, skank. Naresha seated herself and began to page through the birth certificates. Males were discarded automatically, as were Negroes and the limited other ethnics in the area. She also wanted a bland, American sounding name, nothing with too strong a cultural connotation. There were people who still held prejudices against the Poles and the Irish.

She found what she wanted in the ‘B’s. Danielle Ballard. There was actually a death certificate clipped to the record. She had been still born. Perfect. And she could call herself ‘Dani’.

Naresha continued pretending to flip through the file till the clerk’s lunch relief came in. Luckily it was a man. When the woman had left, she slunk up to the counter and gave him her best teasing smile. "Hello. I was hoping you could help me. I know you’re busy..." Same words, but oh, what a difference. She made her voice low and husky, and gazed up at him through her lashes. For good measure, she let the very tip of her tongue peek from the corner of her mouth.

His brain turned off as all the blood rushed south. "Why, certainly, little lady. What can I do for you?"

"How many days would it take for me to get a copy of a birth certificate?"

"What would you be needing it for?"

*As if that’s any of your damn business.* She let her head droop. "My big sister..." Small, poetic near sob. "She... would have been my big sister. She died when she was born. We want to move her so she can lie by Granny and Grandpa, but the cemetery..." Gentle bewildered look. "I... I’m afraid I don’t really understand it all." Hesitant. "It’s so complicated."

As expected, he melted. "Don’t worry, girly. I can get a copy for you right now. They came out with a new type of dry copier a few years ago. Lots neater than the mimeographs, and we don’t have to do it in the county seat for special paper. You just hand over the certificate from our records, and I’ll whip you off a copy in no time."

Breathy. "Oh, thank you!" You big, clever man, you.

A few moments later the certificate for Danielle Ballard was tucked in her purse. The next stop was the Department of Motor Vehicles, to apply for an ID card. She had no trouble with the birth certificate. Naresha smiled demurely for the camera, and was told that it would be mailed to her in a week to ten days. That shouldn’t be a problem. Most mail went to a post office box in town. Very little was ever delivered to the house, as it was a fair drive from the city. She or Acacia should easily be able to intercept the card when it arrived.

She was making good progress. Next, she went to a large department store nearby and bought a cheap suitcase, and several pairs of pants, some shirts, and a couple of simple dresses, all very cheap. She was going to look like no one when she left town. She wasn’t going to register on anyone’s radar.

The last stop was the bus stop. She paid the ticket taker enough to cover a week’s rental, and got combination to a locker. Naresha stored the bags and suitcase in the little metal box, and tucked the receipt into her purse, along with the birth certificate, folding them both tight and tucking them in her wallet. Then she hurried back to the library.

There was still time to browse a bit, and choose a couple of books, before it was time to go out to meet Logan. Mrs. Logan shook her head as Naresha climbed into the car. "I don’t see how you can spend so much time in there."

Naresha gave her an innocent look. "Why, Mrs. Logan. Where else would I go?"



1963--Escape

Acacia hovered over the table of cheap cosmetics in the pharmacy. She had been charged with choosing make up that would be suitable for both herself and Naresha, and considered it a heavy responsibility. A female clerk had watched her shrewdly for the last few minutes, but finally decided that the girl wasn't going to start scooping lipsticks into her purse. She came over and said solicitously, "First time buying, honey?"

Acacia studied her, and decided that she wasn't trying to be condescending. That was fairly rare among adults, and to be appreciated. "Yeah. There's just so many to choose from."

"Ain't it the truth? And we don't even carry the premium brands. What are you lookin' for?"

"That's the problem. I don't know. Y'see, I'm buying for me and my little sister. We both need it all."

"Well, honey, it ain't really a good idea to buy for someone else unless you know exactly what you want. Coloring is such a tricky thing."

The teenager's spectacular blue eyes glinted at her. "We look exactly alike."

"I'm sure you're close, but shading..."

"No, believe me. Exactly alike."

"If you say so. Twins, huh?"

The girl's smile was a little pointy, but not unfriendly. "Even closer." She waved a hand over the table. "Got any suggestions?"

"You're risking your pocketbook asking me that," she warned. "The more I sell you, the better I look. Everyone's out for something, kid."

The expression on her fresh young face was suddenly very old. "Oh, I know that. I can deal with it."

"All right, then. You want the whole shtick, right? Let's see, base, powder, rouge, mascara, liner, pencil, shadow, lipstick..."

Most of the stuff was all right for both Naresha and Acacia. The major difference was shades of lipstick and eye shadow. Acacia favored much more vibrant colors than her sister.

Before she left the pharmacy, she also bought a toothbrush, toothpaste, sanitary pads rags, a brush, and hair dye. Velvet Midnight. The hygiene products were because they would be traveling, probably for several days, without stopping, and a clean traveler attracted less attention than a funky one. Besides, her own naturally fastidious instincts wouldn't let her stay grubby long.

The dye could not, of course, be used now. But the first time they had access to a private room and a little time, the hair was going black, at least for a while. She'd be much less easy to find with her appearance sufficiently changed.

At the bus station, she took the suitcase into the ladies' room and loaded her new purchases into it. Acacia almost had to sit on it to latch it, and she reflected that this was probably going to be her last purchase, unless they decided that it was all right to get an overnight case, too. Acacia didn't think so. The lighter they traveled, at least at first, the better.

Mrs. Logan found her waiting on the steps of the library, as usual. The housekeeper reflected as they drove home that Miss Kathy was looking awful pleased with herself of late. It might make one think she was up to something, but Logan had no idea what it might be. They kept such a tight rein on the child. The only real time she was away from an adult supervisor was the time she spent at the library, and really, what could she get up to there?

Once home, Acacia ran lightly up the stairs to her room and dropped the books on the table. Naresha, lounging once again on the bed, held out her hand expectantly. "The Vanity Fair, Acacia?" Her sister brought it to her, flopping on the bed beside her. "Dunno why you read that. Those clothes in the fashion spread aren't your style." She grimaced. "All those pastels they've had lately."

Naresha serenely flipped pages. "I do it to laugh at their affectations, of course."

Acacia bounced on the mattress. "Can I dance?"

"Of course you can, silly. Very well."

"Naresha..."

"All right." Naresha arose and went to the record player, loaded the spindle, and started it. "Happy?"

As the music started to throb, Acacia grinned. "Ecstatic." Hopping up, she started to move. Naresha, in a fit of amusement, had put 'Running Bear' on first, and Acacia had a grand time doing a stomp around the room, complete with hand over the eyes to scan the horizon, and tomahawk chops. Naresha went back to the comfort of the bed, leaving her sister to her amusements.

The record had moved on through 'Walking to New Orleans' and was moving into 'Runaway' (a particular favorite of Acacia's these days) when the door crashed open. It hit the wall so hard that the records began to skip, Dion chanting over and over again, "runaway...runaway... runaway..."

Wallace Bernard stood in the doorway, face almost purple with rage. In one hand he held a torn envelope, and in the other, a small, stiff square of plastic coated paper. Naresha was not a coward, but she suddenly felt an almost overwhelming need to pee. She knew immediately what had happened. The identification card had come in the mail, and somehow they had missed it.

Wallace glared at his stepdaughter. The little slut was stretched on the bed that he had bought for her, the bed HE had fucked her in innumerable times, and daring to look as if she didn't know what he could possibly be so angry about.

He stepped into the room and slammed the door shut. Kathleen's eyes flicked toward the record player, as if she expected to see someone there who would step between her and Wallace's wrath. But Margaret was in town, and Mrs. Logan was in her room, far away downstairs. There would be no one to interrupt the punishment he knew he had to give her for this transgression.

He walked to the bed and silently held out the card. "Can you explain to me, Kathleen, why this card, which I have no recollection of ordering, has your picture on it, but says that your are Danielle Ballard?"

Naresha held out her hand for the card. Surprised by her coolness, he allowed her to take it. She surveyed the card, then looked up at him blandly. "It turned out rather well, don't you think? Usually these photos make one look absolutely ghastly."

He slowly crumpled the envelope he held in his fist. "I want an explanation."

She shrugged. "I don't like what you've been trying to make me. I decided to change."

"There can be no good reason for you to have a false I.D."

"On the contrary, there can be many very good reasons, just not ones that you'd necessarily agree with."

"Why did you want it? To buy cigarettes? Alcohol? I told you, I'll give you wine, if you want it."

"Yes, for the added fillip of having me while I'm drunk, I know." Her voice was cold. "That isn't why I wanted it."

Acacia had prowled closer during the exchange, bright blue eyes darting between the girl and the man. Wallace ignored her completely. She might as well not have been there. This tendency always puzzled Naresha. It was so obvious that Acacia was not the type of person it was safe to ignore.

"Then why else?" His face grew even redder. "It's to check into motels, isn't it? You're planning on sneaking off to fuck some high-school jock."

"For God's sake, you fool! When would I have met someone like that? I haven't even been allowed to start school yet." She angrily tossed the magazine on the foot of the bed. "Anyway, isn't that what you want?" "What?"

He looked so dumbfound that she laughed. It was a surprisingly old sound, from such a young girl. "Oh, really, Wallace! You think I didn't guess? You want to go bareback when we tussle, but you haven't been willing to risk giving me a tadpole. You figured if there was at least a suspicion that I'd been with some boy, you'd be safe. Isn't that how your mind was working? In any case," Her pretty face twisted, and her tone was pure, pissed-off bitchy. "You've pretty much ruined us for other men for the time being, but not in the manner you'd like to think. It's going to be awhile before I can really enjoy having anything with a Y chromosome lay a hand on me."

He backhanded her. He usually didn't hit her in the face, it was too hard to explain. But he was too furious now to think clearly. Naresha fell back on the bed, and he was on top of her before she could get away. He was ripping at her dress, pulling it up, and she felt the hard nudge of his erection against her thigh. He was going to rape her... again. And probably beat her afterward. And now that his suspicions were roused, he'd be watching them more closely. She wouldn't even be allowed to go to the library alone anymore. Where did that leave their plans.

Naresha could hear Acacia hissing to her, "Let me, sister! Let me, let me!"

Wallace was pulling at her panties, calling her a slut and a whore, but his whore, and Naresha couldn't bear it anymore. It was time. She screamed, "Acacia! Now!" With a growling snarl, Acacia grabbed the heavy glass bodied lamp on their bedside table.

Wallace was used not to Kathleen fighting back, but she had never sounded so animalistic. She twisted under him, body all lean muscle instead of soft girl-flesh, arms stretching. He didn't realize she was going for the lamp till she was jerking it, ripping the cord loose from the wall. Even then he wasn't alarmed. He reached to knock it from her hands...

and she brought it down on his head in a shattering crash. He went limp instantly, dropping his entire weight on her. She struggled to push him off, losing her grip on the lamp. It fell against the night stand. Already weakened, it shattered, spilling spiky shards on the table and floor.

Naresha stumbled from the bed, trying to jerk her clothes back into some order. Looking back, she saw Wallace on the floor. His eyes were closed, his face pale, and blood ran in a thick stream from a cut in his scalp. Acacia was crouched over him, a jagged shard of glass gripped tightly in her hand, holding the point over his throat. Her lips were drawn back from teeth that, to Naresha's dazed eyes, looked far too sharp.

"Acacia, no!" Her sister looked at her, the low growl rumbling in her throat. At that moment, Naresha was almost overwhelmed by love and pride. Her sister, her protector, ready to slay the one who had hurt them.

"Why not?" Acacia moved her hand, and the glass dimpled the skin directly over Wallace's jugular. "Tell me he doesn't deserve it, Naresha. Lie to me."

"He does deserve it, many times over. But you must not, Acacia. If you let him live, we're just runaways. If you kill him, we're murder suspects, and fugitives. Which do you think they'll try hardest to catch?"

Reluctantly, Acacia lifted the impromptu weapon. Then suddenly her hand slashed twice, opening a gash in both of Wallace's cheeks. Then she threw the glass across the room and got up. "So we can't tell anyone. Some of them will know he was marked like that for a reason. Can we go now?"

"Yes, sister. We go now." Naresha picked up the I.D. from where it had fallen. "Come on." It was the only thing they were taking with them from this house.

Well, one other thing.

In the kitchen, they found the keys to the station wagon in the little basket on the counter near the back door. Acacia handed the keys to Naresha. "You drive. I'm to hyped right now. You might be able to get us to town without running us into a ditch."

They slipped out to the station wagon and got in. Naresha slipped the key in, and turned it. She studied the pedal arrangement for a moment, fingering the gear shift. "Can you do it?" Acacia asked.

"Oh, of course I can, darling. I've watched that bitch Logan do it often enough. It isn't rocket science." She put the car in gear, and it stalled. She sighed. "All right, it might be calculus, but it still isn't rocket science."

The next try she got it running smoothly, and they started down the drive. When they came to the road, she turned toward town. "Acacia?" she said softy.

"Yeah, sis?"

"We've done it."

Acacia grinned. "Yeah."

The first stop was the bank. Naresha didn't even attempt parallel parking, just leaving the wagon in a fire zone. "Let them tow it," she said to Acacia as they entered the cool, dim bank. "I like the idea of costing The Bastard a little extra, and getting a ticket on his record."

At her age she would have had to have a guardian's permission to open an account. In this institution, though, that didn't apply to having a safety deposit box. When they were left alone in the little room,Naresha unlocked the box. Inside was a thick wad of cash, in all sizes of bills from twenties, down. There was also a small velvet bag that contained the jewelry that Wallace had been giving her over the last few years.

It was all semi-precious stones. He had promised her diamonds for her 'coming out' when she was seventeen. But there was a rather nice string of peals, and some garnets, amethysts, and topazes that would come in handy at the pawn shop when they needed a little extra cash. As much as she loved jewelry (more in an aesthetic way than as a personal adornment) Naresha was not going to keep a single thing The Bastard had provided.

She cleaned out the box, and they headed over to the bus station. Going to the ticket seller, she inquired, "What are the next three busses?"

He consulted a schedule. "We have one in ten minutes for New York, one just after that for Las Vegas, and one in twenty minutes for Akron."

Acacia clamored for New York, Naresha would have liked Las Vegas, but they chose Akron. Why? Because that was the least likely place for a runaway. They only purchase one ticket, knowing from long experience that the second sister just wasn't going to be noticed. People were so unobservant these day.

As they sat on the bus, waiting for its departure, they discussed their plans. "We get off at, like, the second or third stop, and poof! Go up into thin air."

Naresha nodded agreement. "That idiot at the station is sure to remember us, and they'll head to Akron to look for us, but we'll be off to points unknown. A brief stop at a hotel, wherever, to take care of cosmetic consideration, then another bus. I think two more destination changes should be sufficient to throw the bloodhounds off the scent."

A soldier traveling home on leave had considered sitting next to the pretty young girl with the unusual hair and eyes, and striking up a conversation. When he saw that she seemed to be having a conversation all by herself he thought better of it, and sat near the front.

The second stop was in a little town called Bristol. Acacia liked that. She enjoyed doing the 'Bristol Stomp'. In the ladies' room, Naresha applied make-up in a demure, scanty manner. When Acacia snorted, she said, "We're trying to look respectable, dear, not be a spectacle. The object is to get checked in somewhere with as little notice as possible, right?" Acacia agreed grudgingly.

She also let Naresha go in alone to rent the room at the little motel a block away from the bus station. There wasn't any trouble. Naresha looked a bit young, but she was neat, respectful and respectable looking, and she had I.D. and luggage. Most important of all, she had cash.

In their room, she quickly stripped out of the clothes that The Bastard had paid for. There was a large pair of shears in the suitcase, and she sat cross-legged on the bed and spent a pleasant twenty minutes cutting the clothes into rags too small to be used to piece a quilt. "I only wish," she told Acacia, who sat watching her and popping her gum (an activity strictly forbidden in the Bernard household) "that I dared burn them."

At last Acacia said, "Can we get rid of this mop now?"

"Yes indeed."

They went into the bathroom. Naresha stood naked before the flyspecked mirror, studying herself, as Acacia stood behind her, peering over her shoulder. Naresha saw herself with short, sleek, jet black hair. The style was very like Acacia's, if a tiny bit longer. "The thing to do," she said, gathering her long fall of dark gold and cream hair into a fist in back, "is to try to make the outside as close to the inside as possible."

She set the thick hank of hair between the sharp blades of the scissors, and slowly closed the handles. They were sharp. She had paid a good price for them, wanting the best. In the back of her mind had always been the tempting thought of burying them in The Bastard's left eye, or possibly his heart, if she could find a way through the rib cage. But being a practical girl, she had known that this was nothing more than a pleasant daydream.

The scissors sliced through the great wad of hair slowly, making an almost purring sound. Naresha could feel a tiny tug as each hair was severed. Finally it swung free in her hands. She examined it for a moment. It had been a long time since she'd had a real haircut. The Bastard had banned anything except a trim to remove dead ends when she was nine. Her hair had flowed over her shoulders, but he'd always wanted it to get longer. She had the suspicion that he would have liked to tie her to something with it when he assaulted her, but for some reason it would grow so far, and no farther.

"Should we save this?" She shook the hair at Acacia.

Acacia's voice was cold. "No. It's part of who he tried to make us. Dump it." Naresha dropped the hair into the toilet, and Acacia flushed. It took two tries, but the last of it finally whirled away down the stained porcelain maw.

Then Naresha went to work again, standing on a towel to catch the snippets of hair. She cut, studied, cut some more. When she was done, she'd come up with a haircut that was ahead of its time. Three years ahead of its time, in fact. A sixteen year old English model who went by the single name of Twiggy would 'introduce' the close-cropped look, and become 'The Face of 1966.'

The stubble was shaken into the toilet and flushed away. Then the sisters took a good shower, scrubbing away even the scent of The Bastard, The Bitch, and The Hell Hole. Naresha, after carefully reading the instructions, washed her hair and applied the dye. An hour later, Kathleen had pretty well disappeared off the face of the earth. And, as contented as she was in the grey, foggy nowhere, it was doubtful that she would ever be back.

The next morning, the manager's son, who worked mornings, checked out the young girl who had stayed in room 12. His father had been right, she was a looker. She had bright, bright blue eyes, an athletic figure, and a flirtatious attitude. He had to wonder about the old man's eyesight though. Maybe it was the lighting at night, but he couldn't understand why the old guy had called her a blonde when she had the most midnight black hair he had ever seen.



1963--Travel

If you have luggage, you're neatly dressed, and you look like you know where you're going, people pretty much leave you alone. Naresha thought this as she climbed down off the Greyhound bus. She went and picked up her suitcase, then strode purposefully to the little coffee shop on the other side of the terminal.

There were several newspaper machines just outside the entrance, and she stopped to consider them. In Bristol they had boarded a bus that went back the way they had come. In fact, if made a stop in their home town. This was a calculated risk. After some discussion, it was decided everyone would frantically be looking in every direction, but not around town. They waited on the bus while luggage was unloaded, then different luggage loaded, tanks were filled, and new passengers filed on board. Then they left again, this time in the opposite direction of their first escape. They grew more relaxed with each mile that separated them from The Hell Hole.

Acacia had wanted to go to the coast. "Which coast?" Naresha had asked archly.

Acacia shrugged. "Hell, I don't care. I just want to see an ocean." They'd grown up landlocked. Oh there were beaches of a sort at various lakes, but it just wasn't the same.

"Later. In a couple of months, okay? Beaches are a magnet for runaways. They'll be looking there, if the reports reach that far."

"You sure there's gonna be a report filed, Naresha?"

Naresha frowned at Acacia as the bus jounced along. They both ignored the few passengers who gave them strange looks. They had no idea that the others were wondering about the pretty, dark haired girl muttering to herself. "Well, of course they'll report it."

"I'm not so sure. The Bitch is gonna know what was happening. And the state we left him in... People are going to talk, if he accuses us. I mean, yeah, they know I'm psychotic..." She stated this casually, as if it was merely another character trait, one that didn't deserve much consideration. "but it's considered a scandal to be a fucking victim with those people. He won't want anyone else to know. I'll lay you odds that he'll get treated privately, and pay the doctor to keep his mouth shut. Like he did when we started going for gynecological exams."

Naresha frowned. "I can see your point, but how can he explain our absence? People will talk."

"Yeah. But not much if he tells them he shipped us off to a boarding school for 'difficult' girls."

"Oo. That's a perfectly insidious idea. What gave it to you?"

"The Bitch had brochures. She was trying to convince him to ship us off. The place sounded like a combination prison, asylum, military camp, and convent."

"Ick. Probably grey walls, grey bars, grey clothes, and grey food till we were eighteen."

"Yeah. The Bastard never would have let us out of his hands that long, though. Maggie was barking up the wrong tree, but having that material to flash around would make a convincing explanation about why we weren't around."

"Then you think we're rid of him?"

"Oh, I didn't say that. I think The Bastard will drop a wad on private eyes trying to locate us and drag us back. Then he'll probably kill us. Maybe unintentionally, but the effect will be the same." Again her tone was casual, as if she were discussing the likelihood of being grounded for staying out past curfew.

So Naresha had given in, and they were now on the coast of Maine. They figured that was far enough away from the typical 'runaway teen dream' for them to be relatively safe.

In the coffee shop, Naresha ordered black coffee for herself, and a glass of chocolate milk for Acacia. After a little badgering, she added a slice of chocolate cake. The waitress kept glancing at her nervously as she took the order. All the fruitcakes who wander off the busses. Usually they gotta be old women before they start talkin' to themselves. This one got an early start.

As long as the girl wasn't making any trouble, though, she didn't see any reason to bother about it. And when she brought the cake back, the girl had treated her to an absolutely brilliant smile, and a wink. She didn't look so odd, then, and the waitress smiled in return.

As their server walked away, Acacia appreciatively followed the sway of her hips in her tight little uniform. Naresha, noting her sister's interest, murmured, "No, Acacia."

"Why not? She smiled at me."

"For heaven's sake, we haven't even got a room. Don't go trying to pick up the locals right away. It will draw too much attention."

"Party pooper. Can't we just stay in a motel for awhile? We have plenty of cash."

"And it will run through our fingers like water if we don't conserve it. I don't know about you, but I have an aversion to digging through trash cans for meals and sleeping rough. We'll probably have to end up doing that a time or two before we get settled, but I'm in no hurry. No, we have to find a place to board."

"Why not an apartment?"

"Because they want leases and documentation. Then there are utilities, security deposits, things like that. This is a resort area, and there will be a lot of rooming houses in the neighborhood. Since it's not the peak season, there should be plenty of space available. Also since it's the off season, they might not be too picky about checking IDs and references. A little hard cash covers a multitude of sins."

"We can both testify to that, can't we?"

Naresha sipped her coffee, and said, "One other thing, Acacia, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, mostly because you have a tendency to kick ass when you're upset."

"What?" Acacia was short. She had a feeling she wasn't going to like what Naresha was about to say.

"We're going to have to face the fact that the rest of the world is blind and either can't, or won't, see both of us. And we're going to have to do something about it."

"Like what? Buy 'em all specs?"

"I think it would be better if we didn't talk to each other out loud when we're in public." Acacia scowled. "Now, don't be upset. You know very well that we can communicate with each other in non-verbal ways."

"Yeah, but I like talking. I hate the idea of having to curb myself just because the rest of the world is so fucking unobservant."

"Much as I agree, this is a matter of survival, dear. They can't see both of us at the same time. We speak, we look like we're talking to our self. We get thrown in the booby hatch. And if they send out a wire to look for missing persons, maybe The Bastard finds us."

"Yeah, right, okay." Acacia sighed. "As far away as we are, and The Bastard is still controlling us."

They started to look through the ads for a place to stay. There were a lot of places available, as Naresha had said. Problem was, Naresha looked just a little too sophisticated to be safe, and Acacia acted a little too scary. By late afternoon, they still hadn't found any place willing to board them.

Sitting on a bench in a tiny park just off the business section, Naresha rubbed her feet. "This isn't working, hon. We should have picked somewhere a wee bit more urban for our first stop. We just don't have that 'wholesome' bit going on. If we could just get Kathleen to come out long enough for us to find a flop..."

"No." Acacia denied the idea flatly. "She wouldn't, even if we asked. She's finally at peace, and I'm not going to ask her to give that up. There has to be another way." She hesitated, then said, "Naresha, the last couple of times you were in the other place? Did you... Did it seem like maybe there was someone else there? I mean besides Kathleen."

"I wasn't going to mention it. I was afraid you'd think I was crazy. But yes, it did feel like there was someone else there. Someone sort of familiar."

"Kind of, I dunno, comforting?"

"Exactly. How long have you been aware of her?"

"Just since we actually started to make plans. I been hoping she'd come out and talk to us, but I guess she's kinda shy."

"Not shy. I just wanted to be sure of my welcome."

Acacia and Naresha looked for the source of the voice. "Who are you?" Acacia asked eagerly. "You're the other one from the fog, right?"

"Yes. And you know me, Acacia." The voice was gently scolding. "If you think about it for a minute. You, too, Naresha. I wasn't born all that far behind you. Oh, stop staring around. If you want to see me for the first time, go find a mirror."

"I saw one back in one of the storefronts." Yes, Naresha would have been very aware of a mirror.

As they started toward the shop, Acacia said, "But why do we have to look in a mirror to see you first?"

Acacia was aware of a shrug. "Heck, I don't know. I don't make the rules, do I?"

They had found the mirror. It was set up in a cosmetics display in a drugstore window. Acacia and Naresha crowded together, peering into it eagerly.

The face that looked back at them had the family resemblance. The features were a little sharp, but in this case they were muted by the gentle, peaceful expression. There were the same slightly tilted blue eyes and pale skin, but the hair was a long sheaf of dull red-brown. She smiled at then sweetly, and made some sort of sign with her hands: thumb and last two fingers tucked, pointer and middle finger spread in a V. "Peace."

Acacia couldn't help grinning back. "Sis?"

The familiar stranger nodded cheerfully. "Hiya, Big Sis One and Big Sis Two."

Naresha studied the girl in the mirror closely. "Well, of course. I would have known you anywhere, dear. Now we just need a formal introduction..."

"Oo, I hate formalities!" The girl's piquant features bunched briefly in distaste. "I'm Milda."

Acacia nodded. "Mild and gentle. Yeah."

"And as close to mainstream as any of us is likely to get," Naresha pronounced. "Darling, I think you'regoing to be what keeps us from sleeping on a park bench tonight."

"If we hurry." Acacia amended. "Anything you need, sis?"

Milda smiled sheepishly and touched her hair. "I'd really like my hair, if ya don't mind. I know you girls like it short, but I feel kinda naked." He smile widened. "Not that naked is a bad thing, you understand."

Both Acacia and Naresha had a chuckle. "Yeah, she's ours, all right." Acacia chortled. "Okay. There's a wig store right over there. You drive. Get what you want."

The clerk had been having a boring day. About the only clients she had this time of year was from regulars buying maintenance products, or having repairs done. She was glad to see someone come in, though her hopes slumped when she realized how young the customer was. Probably just wanted to try on a couple of dozen wigs and giggle at herself in the mirror, then leave. "Can I help you?," she asked, steeling herself.

"Hi. Yes." The girl came to the counter and peered at the dozens of wig busts on display. They held shades from platinum, to jet black, to screaming henna. The styles went from pageboy to pixie, to elaborate beehive. The girl pointed immediately to a plain red fall. "That one, please."

As she got it off the stand, the clerk said dully, "And what else?"

"Oh, that's it. As long as it fits."

The clerk looked at the girl more closely. She had pitch black hair in a cut so short it would have looked more in place on a boy. The color brought out the paleness of her skin, and the blue of her eyes, but she supposed that the cut had been a mistake, and she wanted something to cover it up while it grew out. "You don't want something in your own color."

As she took the wig, the girl said, "This is my own color." She flipped the wig on, looking in the mirror on the counter to get it fitted properly. Then she looked back at the clerk.

The clerk blinked. Damned if that wasn't her color. The girl was completely changed by the wig. She'd gone from looking a little cold and calculating to looking warm, open, and friendly. Her face positively glowed with good-will. "Uh... yeah. I see what you mean."

"It's just faboo. I'll have it, thank you very much. Is that the price on the stand?"

"Yeah, plus tax."

The girl was digging money out of a purse. "Well, much as I'd like to say screw Uncle Sam, let him fund his police actions himself, I don't want you to get in trouble, so here's the full amount. Now. Is there an army surplus store, or a Goodwill close-by?"

"Both, just down the block. Turn left when you leave here."

"Thank you." She went to the door, and turned back with a sunny smile. "Isn't it just a wonderful day? It's my birthday, you know. I'm going to go celebrate it with my sisters."

"Hey, sisters are great. Older or younger?"

"Both older."

"They take care of you?" The smile became soft. "We take care of each other."

A few minutes later, Milda was strolling down a residential street nearby. She was wearing a loose blouse, a floaty skirt that came down to her ankles, almost hiding a pair of no-nonsense boots, and a pair of wire-rimmed glasses, the weakest non-prescription reading specs she could find in the local drug store. They were still a little too strong for her to see through comfortably, so they rode low on her nose.

"Now, quit worrying, girls. That last one was just impossible. They were looking for a combination of Jackie Kennedy and a nun." The address they were looking for proved to be a big old place, just a little ramshackle. There were three cats sunning themselves on the sill of the front window, and another pair sitting on the front stoop. "Oh, I think we're going to do well here."

She knocked on the door, and it was answered by a small, elderly woman, who peered up at her through glasses much like the ones she wore. "Yes, dear?"

"Hi!" Milda held up the paper. "You advertised a room for rent?"

"Yes, I did." The old lady looked at her more closely. "You're a bit young to be on your own, aren't you?"

Milda gave her a sincere, tremulous smile. "Yes, ma'am, I suppose so. I'm only eighteen. But, well, Mama died two years ago, and Daddy died last month, and the county just doesn't want me any more."

The old woman's face puckered. "You poor thing. Come in and have some tea, and we'll see what we can do." As Milda stepped inside, Naresha and Acacia exchanged looks. Then, shrugging, they followed her inside before their new landlady could shut them out.



1964--New Life

"Look, this isn't working." Naresha watched from the bed as Acacia paced back and forth restlessly. Milda sat in the little window seat, legs curled up, watching her also. "I mean, she's a nice old lady, and I like her, but gah! I'm gettin' tired of having to hide out all the time."

Naresha sighed. "You get out often enough. More than your share, actually, you hog."

"I do not!"

"Do so. You spend gobs of time down there at the diner, flirting with Amelia."

"I can't help it. She's the first girlfriend I ever had."

Naresha frowned, but her voice was kind. "Acacia, you aren't falling in love with her, are you?"

Acacia stopped pacing and gave her sister a puzzled look. "What? Of course not."

Now Milda chimed in. "Why 'of course not'? You could fall in love with her."

Acacia shrugged. "I dunno, maybe. But I'm not going to."

"But why not?" Milda's expression was dreamy. "Love is so nice."

"Yeah? How would you know, squirt?" There was rough affection in Acacia's tone. The same comment from anyone else would have earned a derisive snort.

Milda smiled gently. "Well, it sounds like it in the books I've read."

Naresha stretched. "I'm not sure I can love. Outside familial bonds, anyway. I'm far too selfish."

"Now Naresha," Milda chided. "You shouldn't talk about yourself like that, or it could become a self-fulfilling prophesy. Love may come when you least expect it."

"You're such a child, pet." Naresha's tone was just as indulgent as Acacia's had been. They were both already extremely fond of their new little sister, but neither could figure out how she'd managed to get such a naive, good-natured personality. They'd discussed it together, and decided that she must have been shielded from most of the hell that The Bastard had put them through the last couple of years. They were glad for her, but it did make it rather hard to explain certain facts of life: like 'Trust no one.'

"Anyway," Milda continued, "I really like Mrs. Wellworth."

"You would." Acacia nudged her over and sat beside her in the window seat. "She treats you like a lost granddaughter." Acacia looked around the small, pleasant room. "I know damn good and well she could get twice as much as she charges for this place. It's a bargain, even if we do have to sleep three in a bed sometimes."

She rubbed her neck. "It's just that I can't be myself around here. It's killing me, us having to try to pretend that there's only you. She's going to catch wise one of these days, and we'll be out on our collective asses. Though she might not realize for awhile." Acacia grinned. "You know, she mistook me for you yesterday, Milda. Said she had no idea I'd cut my hair, and that it looked very becoming, even if it was a little short."

"Maybe she needs glasses." Milda said.

"Um, no, dear. I don't think glasses would help." Naresha hugged her knees, trying to figure out the best way to explain their situation to their little sister. "There's just something wrong with the rest of the world. They can't see more than one of us at once. I've given up trying to understand it, and I just accept it. That's why we told you no talking to each other in public. They just think you're talking to yourself, and that can get you in the booby-hatch."

Milda frowned. "Just for talking to myself? But Mrs. Wellworth does that. Don't most people?"

Acacia got up and started pacing again. "You can generally get away with it if you're, like, doing something. Especially something most people find frustrating. They can relate to it then. But this is off the topic, kiddos. I'm tired of having to sneak in and out for fear of meeting the old gal in the hallway and having to act like Milda. No offense meant, sweety, but you know damn good and well what kind of a strain that would put on me." Milda nodded in understanding. It would be like asking a Bengal to act like a tabby kitten.

"I don't know what else we can do, except introduce you to her."

"Won't work." Acacia shook her head. "Remember the one-at-a-time thing. She'll just think your cheese has slid off your cracker. We're gonna have to move."

"Move?" The distress in Milda's voice was plain. "But... But it's almost Mother's Day. I'm going to make her a special cake."

Naresha looked pointedly at Acacia. "I told you she was becoming too attached. We should have left a month ago, but no--you were too busy trying to put the moves on your hash-slinging sweety."

"Shut up, Nar. You have boyfriends whenever you want, it was past time for me to get a girlfriend. Milda, baby, we talked about this, didn't we? We're not going to be able to settle down in one place for another couple of years. And..." she sighed. "Oh, hell. Naresha is right. I've been pussy-blinded."

"Casey!" A pink tide crept up Milda's cheeks, and her sister chuckled.

"No other word for it, Milda. If I know my own weaknesses, I can try to fight them."

There was a tap on the door, and Naresha and Acacia went very still and quiet. Milda called out, "Come in?"

Winifred Wellworth opened the door and peeked inside. "I thought I heard you talking, dear."

Without hesitation Milda pointed to a thick book on the seat beside her. "Shakespeare, Mrs. Wellworth. It was meant to be spoken, not just read." She recited, "But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun..."

Winifred smiled. "Very nice, dear, but that's Romeo's part." Unseen by the elderly woman, Acacia smirked. "I was wondering if you'd mind going by the post office for me today. I'll give you the key to the box."

"Sure, no problem."

"Thank you so much." She placed the post office box key on Milda's dresser. I'm busy getting the place ready for the summer boarders."

"Mrs. Wellworth, you could rent this room to one of them for a lot more than you charge me, couldn't you?"

"Why, yes, I could, but don't you worry about that, Milda. I'm happy to have you here for as long as you like. You're one of the nicest guests I've ever had." *Even if you are one of the most peculiar,* she thought as she closed the door.

"You see, Milda?" Naresha spoke as soon as the door was closed. "We'll be taking money out of her pocket if we stay."

"I'd still like to stay a little longer." Milda folded her arms.

Acacia and Naresha exchanged glances. Milda was usually the most peaceable and pliant of people. This gentle defiance meant that she was putting down roots here, and it just couldn't be allowed. It was too risky.

Acacia picked up the key. "I'll get the mail."

"On you way to or from the diner?" Naresha asked tartly.

"None of your beeswax," Acacia retorted cheerily. She took Milda's wig and put it on with a martyred sigh. "These things are so hot sometimes." She turned to her sisters. "How do I look?"

To anyone else, anyone on the outside, she would have looked like Milda. To Milda and Naresha, she looked like Acacia in a cheap wig. "Only slightly ridiculous," Naresha snickered.

Acacia flipped her the bird, but without any real heat, and hurried out. She managed to make it out of the house without running into Mrs. Wellworth. As soon as she got down the block the wig came off and went into her handbag. She quickly smoothed her short tresses into order and set off at a brisk pace to walk the two miles into the center of town.

*And it's gonna be on my way back from the dinar, Little Sis, because I don't feel like hauling mail when I go to see Amelia.*

The diner was busy: there were more and more travelers as the weather warmed. Acacia caught Amelia's eye as she came in. Giving her a wink that made the older girl blush, she found a booth near the back and slipped into it.

Acacia watched the blonde girl as she worked, swiftly carrying trays and pots of coffee. *Naresha shouldn't worry about me falling in love with her. It's not going to happen, because she's not capable of falling in love with me. Oh, she's havin' fun with me, but way back in the corners of her mind she's still planning on getting married to someone, and settling down and having a house, and kids, and a dog.* Acacia could feel her lip curling. *Unambitious little thing.*

Amelia didn't even have time to greet Acacia properly when she came in. She wouldn't have been exactly sure how to do it with all these people around, anyway. If it was dead, she would have given her a kiss, but... Well, it was all right for women friends to drop a kiss on each others' cheeks. Heck, her mother did it all the time with her bridge buddies. But Acacia kissed on the lips--hard, and that would have raised a few eyebrows.

She wasn't ready to have to try to explain something like that to her parents, since she was still living at home, and she didn't want to have to explain it to her steady man, Lewis, either. Lewis was tolerant of Acacia, though he didn't like her much, and the feeling was mutual. Amelia had started dating Lewis in her junior year, and they had kept it up, more or less, even when he went off to college.

She knew that he dated other women while he was away, probably slept with them, too. Heck it was almost a certainty, since she refused to go to bed with him. As frustrated as he got, he almost had to be getting it elsewhere. It wasn't that she didn't want to sleep with him, but a woman had to be careful these days. Her mama had taught her well. You didn't give in, you held it over their head, dangling the promise like a carrot on a stick. Once they got it, they were probably going to want to go off and sample someone else, for the sake of comparison if nothing else.

Now, with Acacia, there wasn't that problem. Marriage was out of the question for the most obvious of reasons. She didn't have to worry about preserving her virtue, so she hadn't. There had been a few fumbled groping in the dark with friends at cheerleader camp, but never anything like Acacia. Acacia was bold and forceful, knew exactly what she wanted and was obscenely plain in asking for it. Amelia slid her a glance as she slapped another ticket up on the kitchen counter. Acacia was watching Amelia's legs with a single-minded appreciation that would have made her want to slap any man who directed such a look at her. Coming from Acacia, it just made her feel warm.

Amelia would have been astonished to find out that she was Acacia's first lover. The girl had been so assured that she thought that surely she had vast experience. And Acacia did have experience in the physical aspects of sex: all learned at great pain. But this was the first time she was turning the hard gained knowledge to her own benefit, thus it was the first time she had ever had a lover.

A bus driver sat in the booth in front of Acacia, and Amelia hurried to wait on him, glad that he'd sat at her station. The drivers were a little crude, but they always tipped well. She stood at the divider between the two booths and said brightly, "Hey, fella! Just gettin' off?"

"Not yet." Sitting with his back to Acacia's booth, he gave Amelia a lascivious grin, then smirked, "But I wouldn't mind gettin' off. Is that why you're here, darlin'?"

Acacia was sitting just behind him, with her back to his booth, and Amelia noticed her turn her head with a jerk to stare at the back of his head. Amelia shook her head warningly, smile still in place. "I'm just here to take your order."

He laughed. "Oo, she takes orders." His tone was oily and suggestive. "This is what you call a food service job. What other kinds of servicing do you do, little lady?"

Acacia's eyes flicked up to Amelia's face. Her expression clearly said, "Well? DO something?"

*Oh, crap. She wants me to stand up for myself. I hope she doesn't make a scene.* "The cook has a real nice lemon pie, just baked." *C'mon, guy, quit screwing around and order, before she does something stupid.*

"I'm not much on lemon. Now cherry pie, I'll eat all of that I can get." He put a hand on the back of her leg, high up on the thigh. She wasn't wearing stockings, and her skin crawled at the rough touch. "You gonna give me a piece?" His hand started to slide up under the hem.

Before she could say anything or step away, he yelled, jerking his hand back. He stared in astonishment at the four thin welts on the back of his hand. As he watched bright beads of blood bubbled up along each one and began to ooze down his hand. "What the fuck? Do you have a bear trap under there, or what?"

Amelia couldn't help it. She looked sharply at Acacia. Her friend was watching the man with narrowed eyes. She was flexing the fingers on her right hand, and Amelia saw blood. But it was not on the tips of her nails, it was around the bases, as if the cuticles had been split.

Seeing where the waitress was directing her attention, the driver looked also. Acacia stared back into his eyes from a distance of only a few inches. Her voice was rough as she said, "A man who puts his hand where it doesn't belong is likely to draw back a stump."

"What did you do? Rake me with a fork? Hell," he stood up grabbing his hat off the table. He sneered at Amelia. "Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend?"

Acacia's lips were drawing back from her teeth, "Well, she just thought that you were such a sorry excuse for a man that you'd just instinctively know that she'd rather be with a woman than with you."

"Why, you bitch!" He moved toward her, ready to intimidate her with his bulk.

Complete failure. Acacia rose up to meet him. She bumped aggressively, pushing her own flat belly against his small beer gut, going up on her toes. Her voice was a snarl, "You want a piece of me, dickwad?"

He hesitated, taking a closer look at her. There was a soft, almost inaudible pattering sound, and he looked down. Her small hands were clenched into fists, so hard that he could see the muscles in her forearms trembling. And blood was seeping between her fingers, dripping around her feet. He looked quickly back at her face.

*Motherfucker. She's crazy.* He backed up slowly. "No harm meant, ladies." He nodded at Amelia. "Sorry about that," then turned and hurried out.

"Damn it, Casey! I could have gotten a five dollar tip from him!"

Acacia looked at her with a peculiar expression, one she hadn't given her before. "You mean you were letting him paw you because you expected to get money from him?"

"Hell, a little grope and some dirty talk, and I pull down a load in tips."

Her lover's expression was closing up, going cold. "You don't have to put up with that."

"Acacia, what's the big deal? Everyone does it."

"Not everyone." She reached up to touch Amelia's cheek. "I can't understand you choosing to."

Amelia flinched at the warm, liquid feel of Acacia's fingers. "What did you...?" She gasped. "My God! What did you do to yourself?"

Acacia looked at her hand disinterestedly. Blood seeped from each ragged cuticle, and there were four deep punctures across her palm. "I don't know."

Amelia had a clean rag tucked in her apron, and she whipped it out and wrapped it around Acacia's wounded hand. "Oh, damn, you did it to the other one, too. Casey, are you one of those girls who hurts themselves when she gets mad?"

"No." Acacia was very calm, staring at the tips of her nails as if the answer lay there. "I hurt other people when I'm angry. I think the blood is stopping."

"Look, you ought to go home and tend to that. I'm going to be busy tonight, anyway." Her eyes shifted away uncomfortably.

"How is Lewis, anyway?"

"I... he..."

"I'm going to go wash this."

Acacia went to the diner restroom and used the pungent antiseptic soap to wash her hands. She was right, the bleeding had stopped, though it might be a good idea to bandage it up when she got home. She remembered Naresha complaining about aching and split cuticles before. Was this some sort of medical problem they needed to look into? She'd hardly noticed the pain. But then, she tended to shut pain out when she was pissed.

The busboy was mopping the floor by the back booths, muttering to himself about whether or not someone was going to sue the diner for some reason. That much blood had to involve something someone could sue for.

Amelia, behind the counter, lifted her hand in farewell to Acacia. She was ignored, and hesitantly dropped her arm after the girl had left. Somewhere, deep inside, she knew that she had been dismissed. Suddenly the date with Lewis tonight didn't look all that appealing.

Acacia walked the next two blocks to the post office, studying her hands with concentrated interest. They ached up under the tips, too. It was like someone had pried them up. pulling them loose from the living flesh beneath. The ache would increase, then ease, whenever she flexed her fingers.

At the post office she used the key to open Mrs. Wellworth's box and extracted a handful of mail, then took it over to the little side table to sort. Her landlady had asked that whenever Milda (well, any of the girls, but she wasn't aware of that) retrieved the mail, she would discard any junk mail before bringing it home.

Acacia tucked a fresh stick of gum into her mouth and started flipping envelopes into the trash, muttering, "Circular, circular, begging letter." She looked at one, snorting. *Aluminum siding coupon. They gotta know that shit is going to rust like crazy. Maybe they'll come up with something plastic that will work without looking too crappy someday. That's be a good investment.*

She tapped the remaining few items into a neat bundle, and let her eyes wander to the bulletin board on the wall behind the table. It always gave her a kick to check out the wanted posters. *There are really some butt-ugly crooks out there.*

There was something a little different from the usual mug shots, though. This one didn't have the usual government seals on it, though it looked a lot like the others: headline, picture, then text. Acacia looked at the picture, then froze.

The headline said, "MISSING--PLEASE HELP US FIND OUR BELOVED DAUGHTER" The picture under it showed a slender girl in her mid-teens with long, streaky hair and a timid expression--Kathleen.

Acacia could feel her scalp prickling as she read the rest of it. Missing since such and such a date from such and such a place after family quarrel. Last reported headed in this direction. Emotionally unstable, possibly a danger to herself and others. If located, please call... That wasn't their home number, but she had a feeling it wasn't to any police department, either. Yes, there under it in tiny letters were the words 'Contact Finnegan Private Investigations.' So The Bastard had set dogs on them, just like they'd thought. And the worst part, the most frightening part, the most dangerous part of the poster was that single word at the bottom: REWARD.

Acacia looked around. The lobby was empty. She ripped the poster off the thumbtack and folded it, stuffing it in her purse. She prayed that someone had just dropped this off a day or two ago and left. *Because if they have an operative in town, we're in even deeper shit than I thought.*

She left the post office at a pace just short of running, and she couldn't run, because running was suspicious.





Littermates, 1964, 1965--Fleeing

Milda huddled in the corner of a seat at the back of the bus, her forehead pressed to the glass, arms wrapped around herself as if for warmth. It was dark outside, and dim in the bus. The headlights of passing cars occasionally turned the tear tracks on her cheeks silver.

Acacia and Naresha sat on the other side of the aisle, letting her have a little privacy, but keeping a close eye on her. "I knew she was going to hurt, "Acacia whispered, "but I had no idea it would go so deep. She hasn't stopped crying for two days."

Naresha's voice was just as quiet. "She'll be all right. She just has to grieve, and get it out of her system. But we can't let this happen again, Acacia. We can't stay so long in any one place, not for a couple more years. Not only is it hard on Milda, letting her get attached to people and places, but we've just seen that it's dangerous. For all of us."

Milda sat up, wiping her face. "Casey? Naresha?"

They quickly moved over, Acacia sliding into the seat beside her and Naresha getting into the seat in front, turning to rest her arm on the back. "What is it, baby sister?" Acacia asked gently, touching her hair.

"I'm sorry I've been so... wet."

"Darling, it's all right," Naresha assured her. "Actually, it's rather nice to know that one of us is still capable of tears for any reason other than physical pain."

"It's just that Mrs. Wellworth was so nice. Like a grandmother, you know?"

Acacia and Naresha exchanged glances. Neither of them had any idea what a grandmother was actually like, aside from the image they'd been presented by books, television, and movies. But they nodded as if they understood, unwilling to distress their sister any further. "Honey," Naresha reached out and gently pushed her glasses back up from where they had slid down to the tip of her nose, "you understand why we had to go, don't you?"

Milda nodded. "The Bastard," she whispered. Milda had never met The Bastard or The Bitch herself, but there had been terrifying glimpses of what her sisters had been through. "He... he's sending people."

"Yes, baby." Acacia hugged her. "We can't let them find us. If we can stay free till we're eighteen, it should be all right. Twenty-one would be better, but eighteen will do. Once we're legally of age they can't make us go back. Three years."

"Three years," echoed Milda. "It won't be easy."

"It won't," Naresha agreed. "But we can do it. We survived almost eight years in The Hell Hole, didn't we?"

"You and Casey did. I haven't had to survive much of anything." Milda's tone was apologetic. "I don't know if I'm going to be very good at this."

"You don't have to be, Milda," Acacia assured her. "Naresha and I are good enough at it for all of us. That's why we're here, baby sister." She thought for a moment, then touched her own chest. "Protection..." a sharply manicured nail touched Naresha's sleeve, and the dark haired girl smiled, "...survival..." Acacia tenderly stroked Milda's still damp cheek, "...and living. As long as we're together, we'll do all right."

Milda smiled at her sisters. "Together." Finally finding a little peace in that thought, she settled down and closed her eyes, drifting off to sleep. She wasn't afraid, as long as Acacia and Naresha was there.

A few seats farther up the aisle the woman who had been watching her turned back to her boyfriend. "She finally quit talking to herself."

Looking straight ahead he said quietly, "What did I tell you about staring at her? You don't want someone like that noticing you noticing them."

She glanced back again. "I guess not. Part of the time she just looked sweet as can be, but the other times..." A brief, involuntary shiver raced up her spine. There had been something not quite civilized in that voice. But the time that their gazes had crossed, the red-haired girl had given her a smile of such gentle, shining purity that the woman had been incapable of resisting the urge to smile back. A moment later the smile had been somehow too bright and too dark at the same time. She decided to keep her back to the girl the rest of the trip.

~~~~~

"I wish we could've stopped at the last town." Acacia chomped moodily on a stick of gum. When she was pissed off she tended to snap it, a habit which made Naresha grit her teeth.

"You only say that because of the name, and we are NOT stopping in a town just because it's named Springfield."

"Hey, Dusty is a great singer," Acacia did a little dance step, still graceful despite the suitcases in her hands. "No matter what ya do-o, I only wanna be with you!"

"That is NOT a criteria for choosing destinations. It was far too small, and you know it."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Acacia sighed. It had been agreed that there were to be no small towns in their travels, not for extended stays, anyway. There was too much of a chance of being noticed and recognized. People in small towns often had little to occupy them other than speculating about anyone new. She paused in her walk, slipped her right foot out of her shoe, and rubbed it
against the back of her left calf, wincing. "Damn it to hell."

Milda watched her, concerned, and said, "Do we need to sit down for awhile? Are your feet aching?"

"It ain't my FEET, it's my TOES!"

"You, too?" Naresha winced in sympathy. "Mine have been aching lately, too."

"I guess that makes three of us," Milda volunteered. "And I can't understand why. I haven't dropped anything on my feet lately, have you?" Acacia finally thumped the suitcases down and started to sit on the largest one. She stopped at Milda's cry. "Casey! It's cardboard."

"Aw, shit! I need to sit down a minute. These babies are really aching. Look, let's spring for a motel room instead of going right for lodgings, huh? We haven't even really decided if we'll stay here, and I'm tired. I just wanna flop."

The other two sisters agreed readily enough. None of them were feeling particularly spritely at the moment, but they were all putting it down to the sudden jar of having to uproot themselves again, and the rigors of bus travel. This time Acacia rented the room.

The clerk, a dump middle aged woman, examined the ID photo closely, then squinted at Acacia. "This don't look much like you."

Acacia rolled her eyes. "Thank God! Didn't you ever get fed up with the way you looked and need a drastic change?"

The woman snorted. "Yeah. I was a blonde once for about three months. I gave it up 'cause I looked like a cross between Shirley Temple and Harpo Marx. Yours did good." She pushed the register toward Acacia and reached for a room key as she signed.

In the room the first thing all three girls did was kick off their shoes. Then Acacia ran a tub of close to scalding water and they all three crowded together on the tub rim, soaking their feet. Rubbing her toes, Acacia said, "Milda, have your fingernails been giving you any trouble? I now Naresha's have."

"Yeah, they have. It's been getting worse lately." Milda was wiggling her toes in the hope that exercise would ease the ache. "Ow!"

Her cry was sharp and surprised, and Naresha put an arm around her shoulders. "What is it, darling?"

Milda flexed her toes again. "OW! It feels like someone is poking straight pins under my toenails!"

"Let me see." Milda turned a little, hoisting her dripping foot up onto Acacia's lap. Acacia examined the toes. "The cuticles are split, just like they have been for our fingernails. And the ends look tender." She gripped a big toe and flexed it gently.

Milda whined, face screwing up in pain. "Casey, that HURTS!"

A bright bubble of blood appeared just under her big toenail, right at the center. It thinned quickly, mingling with the water that clung to the foot, oozing down in a pink trail. "Shit! You're bleeding." Acacia touched her fingertip to the spot where the blood had appeared, just as Milda flexed her toe again. The older girl jerked her hand back and stared at a tiny puncture on her finger. "Milda, you stuck me."

Her expression crumbled. "I didn't MEAN to."

Acacia hugged her. "'Course you didn't! There's something weird going on here. I wonder..." She gritted her teeth and curled her toes in the water. Immediately tiny clouds of red puffed out from several toes, and she growled in pain. "I don't believe this! Naresha?"

"I don't want to." The dark haired girl regarded her own feet apprehensively.

"Come on!" Acacia snapped. "We have to know if it's affecting all of us."

"I'd say it's fairly obvious that it is, but if you insist..." She crooked her toes, giving a small hiss as the blood stained the water around her toes. "Oh, now, really darling, this is too fucking much!"

"Well, that settles it," Acacia said. "The only question is, who got it first, whatever it is, and passed it on."

"I don't think that's it." Milda flexed her toes again. "You know, it doesn't hurt quite as much now."

"Well, what else COULD it be?" Acacia asked, a bit snappishly. She was half tempted to curl up on the bed and bite at her toes. Somehow it seemed that might help. "Maybe it's genetic." The two older girls looked at her. "You know, maybe we were born with it?"

"But why did it wait till now to show up?" Naresha protested. "And I don't recall The Bitch ever
suffering like this. I would have laughed my ass off."

"She might have just not mentioned it..." Milda began. Seeing her sisters' expressions she said, "I know, I know. She wasn't the type to suffer in silence. Maybe it has something to do with puberty? We haven't been bleeding all that long."

"That's logical," Naresha agreed. "And as to The Bitch not having the problem... She wasn't our only progenitor."

The girls all fell silent. None of them had ever really met the man who had sired them. There were just a few vague images lurking in dark corners of their minds. Acacia said grudgingly, "You're right, Naresha. And we don't know HOW he died."

"Are we sure he's dead?" Milda asked forlornly. "Maybe The Bitch lied? It would be like her."

"Yeah, it would." Acacia gave Milda a comforting squeeze. "But I think that was the truth, hon. I think..." Her eyes were distant, "Somehow I think that if he was alive, The Bastard wouldn't be."

Naresha had swung around to take her feet out of the tub. Now she was drying them, patting them gingerly. She sighed in relief when there was no more blood. "Do you suppose Kathleen would know? She was closer to that time than us."

"I don't think to." Acacia took the towel and dried her own feet. "Cheap ass motel. One towel. No, she pretty much doesn't remember what happened till just before those two scumbags got married.

Milda pulled the plug, then accepted the towel and started drying her feet. She left tiny dots of blood on the terrycloth, but the flow seemed to be stopping. "Kitten might know." Naresha walked gingerly to the bed and lay down. "We already said she doesn't, pet."

"Not Kathleen. Kitten."

Acacia sat on the edge of the bed, patting the mattress in invitation, and Milda joined her. "Kitten is Kathleen's nickname."

"I know." Milda's voice was patient. "But there's a little girl named Kitten, too."

Naresha sat up, interested. "Where?"

"In the fog. She stays close to Kathleen, but Kathleen doesn't see her." Milda frowned. "I don't think she WANTS to see her. It hurts too much." She sighed. "Poor Kathleen. Everything hurts her."

"Why don't we ever see her?" asked Naresha, curious. The concept of another person in their world, possibly in their minds or bodies, didn't faze her at all.

"She's been hiding for a long time. I think she only let me see her because I was so quiet and still for so long. She might know, but it could be hard for her to tell us, even if she wants to. She's awful little. She's just a baby." Milda's voice was soft. She loved children, and had so little opportunity to be around them. People didn't want their kids having anything to do with a stranger passing through.

"It would be good if she could tell us something." Acacia lay down beside Naresha. The dark haired girl immediately snuggled against her. Then Milda lay down on her other side, burrowing against Acacia.

In a few minutes they were asleep. In the harsh world that was occupied by all the other people, there was a single figure on the bed: a slender, weary looking girl with a long red wig over cropped, dyed black hair. In the world that the girls perceived, though, their three bodies tangled together in a warm, peaceful pile. Someone looking at them might have been reminded of a litter of kittens crowded together, and they would have been surprisingly accurate.

But single or triple, the same moon hung over each. It rode the sky, fat and silver, and only a sliver away from full.

Littermates, 1964--Transformation

The girl on the bed in the cheap motel room opened her eyes slowly, staring up at the ceiling blankly. She lay there silently for awhile, gaining a sense of where she was. Finally she sat up with a soft groan.

Naresha slitted one eye and gazed up at her sister. "Milda, darling, lay the fuck back down. It is
obscenely early."

Milda absently pulled her hair back into place. "We should get up. Shouldn't we get up?"

On her other side Acacia stretched, extending her body till she could feel cartilage creaking. "Why? That's one of the main points of being on your own, sweetie. Ya can sleep when you want to, eat when you want to, eat WHAT you want to." She rolled onto her belly, stretching again. Her voice was satisfied. "No more having The Bitch trying to shove grapefruit and rye toast down our gullet."

Naresha giggled. "It KILLED her that we never need to diet."

Acacia's grin was nostalgic and not at all nice. "I just LOVED eating Twinkies in front of her."

Naresha sat up with a sigh. "All right, the talk of food has convinced me. We didn't eat last night, and my bellybutton is getting far to close to my backbone. Let's go get breakfast."

The red wig was deposited on the dresser while the morning grooming took place, and when the girls left the room it was Naresha who presented herself to the world. There always seemed to be a cheap diner in these sorts of neighborhoods, and this one was no exception. It was busier than she would have expected, filled almost to capacity with a motley assortment of graveyard shift workers and pimps and prostitutes finishing up their evening.

Most of them weren't in that good a mood, either, because there was only one waitress in evidence. She was a thin woman who was probably just in her mid-thirties, but looked older. Exhaustion would do that to a person, Naresha reflected. Exhaustion and having to deal with assholes. The crowd was being a little nasty. No one seemed willing to make allowances for them being short handed.

Naresha waited patiently. When the woman finally approached with the coffee pot and a cup and saucer she said, "Where's your help?"

"God knows," she said tiredly as she poured the coffee. "Just didn't show up, so that means she don't have a job any more and I'm stuck with this shift alone till they get someone else hired. What can I get for you?" There was no answer for a moment, and the waitress finally looked up from her order pad, curious.

The girl, a pretty, dark haired thing, was staring off into space. It was hard to tell if her expression was blank, or intense, and her lips were moving slightly. Feeling a tickle of unease she said, "Honey? You okay?" She blinked, and the blue eyes snapped back into sharp focus. She smiled. "You could give me a job."

"I... Kid, that ain't my choice. And you're kinda young for a full time job, aintcha?"

"I need it. I'm on my own, and I have to support myself somehow." She indicated a flashily dressed woman sitting in a booth with an equally flashily dressed man. "I'd rather not do it like that, if I can help it."

"I gotta warn you, this ain't easy work."

Naresha smiled. "I can see that."

"And this ain't a good area. Some of the customers can really give you shit."

The smile broadened, but the eyes narrowed. "I've dealt with shit most of my life. I'm adept at it. I tell you what, why don't I help you out this shift, no charge. You'll get an idea of how I work, and can refer me to the boss. Besides, dear," Someone was rapping their glass with a spoon. Jackass. "you need me right now."

The woman studied her for a moment longer, then handed the order pad and pencil to Naresha and pulled fresh ones out of her apron pocket. "You're on, kid." She offered her hand. As they shook she said, "I'm Donna. You?"

"Well, the ID says Danielle, but I prefer Naresha."

"Okay, Naresha." She pointed at a fresh booth of customers. "We won't worry about you taking orders yet. Keep the water glasses and coffee cups filled. When a booth empties out, clear it, clean it, and put the dirties through THAT window for the washer. When it slows down a little I'll start teaching you about taking orders and side work. Get cracking."

Naresha stood, taking the coffee pot and went to a booth that held several newcorriers. As she approached one of them, not looking up, snarled, "It's about fuckin' time."

Naresha's voice was a purr. "I'm sorry, dear. I'm afraid I just let myself get mesmerized by your good looks and lost all track of time." He looked up sharply. Instead of that stick who usually waited on them it was a young one. She gave him a small, white smile and leaned over. "Oh, bless your heart!" she cooed. "That cup is still half full, but it's all nasty and cold. Let me just fill your friends' cups and I'll bring you a fresh one, all right?"

He'd been ready to give the other waitress an earful. Now he just said, "That would be nice. Thanks."

She winked. "I'm a nice person." Leaning even closer she whispered, "But don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to uphold."

Donna hadn't been expecting much. Despite the girl's plain clothing, she smelled like money, and had probably never had to work a day in her life, but the little thing was a blur of energy, even though she was never less than graceful. Booths were swept clean in a twinkle, coffee cups and water glasses never got more than half empty. Without having to be told she located the supplies and began filling salt and sugar shakers, and she did NOT mix the two up, as the previous newbie had. By the time the lunch crowd had thinned out Donna was determined to see that she was hired.

Finally Donna took her break, sitting in a booth with Naresha. "Okay, I admit it. I'm impressed. If you can keep orders straight, too, you're for me. I'd give my right arm to work steady with someone like you." She looked past Naresha toward the entrance. "And here's the guy who has the final stay." She raised her voice and her hand. "Lester! Lester, over here."

A tall, thin man in a cheap suit came to the booth, frowning. His face was creased in a manner that said this was his usual expression. "Donna, where's Glory? One of you should be up at all times."

"Glory blew, just like I told you she would."

The frown deepened. "Son of a bitch! How much business did we lose because they had to wait?"

"None," Donna indicated Naresha, "thanks to her."

Small, beady eyes were turned on Naresha. *Oh, yuck.* Naresha thought. *Who does THIS remind me of, as if I didn't know? But we NEED this job.* She lowered her lashes, then raised them slowly, smiling. It worked, just like she knew it would. The beady eyes narrowed even more, then the sour frown softened into an almost leer. But he said casually, "I don't know about that. Maybe I should advertise."

*Oh, another, paler version of The Bastard, all right. You want to be courted? All right, you jerk.* "Now, why would you want to do that when what you need is sitting right in front of you?"

His voice was suggestive. "Are you good?"

Naresha let just the tip of her tongue poke out to wet her lips before she answered. "Darling, I'm the best."

"Well, I suppose I'll have to give you a try, then. You can start your probationary period tomorrow. Donna, there's a spare uniform in the back she can use. You..." He raised his eyebrows. "You?"

"Naresha."

He waited. She smiled. He said, "Look, kid, only the queen of England gets by on one name."

*Well, crap. What name was it we settled on? I should have gotten the card from Acacia before we came out. Something with a B.* He was tapping his foot. "Ballard." *Oh, yeah...* My first name is Danielle, but I go by my middle name."

He grunted. "I'll need to dig up the employment forms, but that can wait. No hurry. So, you start tomorrow. Two sixty-five an hour." When he saw her expression he said, "It's up to you how well you do. Just hustle for the tips, and you can do all right. I'm supposed to keep track of them for your taxes, but I've been known to look the other way."

"For a cut," Donna said flatly.

He shrugged, but didn't try to defend it. "You can always find another place if you don't like how I run my operation, Donna." He went back into the office, and Donna whispered, "Bastard! He knows how hard it is to find any day work, and I have to have this shift because of my kid." She sighed. "Oh, well. Boo-hoo, bitch, cry, my life is so hard." Her voice was so off-hand that Naresha had to laugh. Donna smiled at her. "I'm gonna like having you here, kid. I just hope you
don't regret it too much."

"I suppose this is futile, but do we get any meals included in our wages?" Donna laughed, and Naresha shrugged. "Didn't think so, but it was worth asking. How about a discount?"

"If anyone orders something and doesn't want it, we can have it. IF no one else orders the same thing. Then we pass it on."

Naresha wrinkled her nose. "Perhaps I'll pack a lunch tomorrow, but I suppose I'd better eat before I leave. I completely forgot about breakfast."

Donna patted her shoulder as she stood up. "Sure. But keep your purse closed, it's on me today. I owe you."

"No, you do not. I believe I heard you say something about a child?"

Donna's eyes softened. "Carol. She just started school."

"All the more reason for you to save your cash. No, if I'm around long enough maybe I can babysit for you, and you can feed me then."

While Donna went to give her order to the cook, Milda and Acacia arrived and slipped into the other side of the booth. Acacia grinned. "So, you're employed. Say, do ya think that we can trade off? We fool people often enough."

"Mmm... if there's an emergency I suppose we could, but we'd better save it for emergencies."

Donna, standing at the serving counter, watched the dark-haired girl who'd just been hired. She was whispering to herself, her eyes moving from side to side, as if following a conversation. *She's got a couple of bricks loose, but what the hell? Half the people who come in here aren't all that tightly wrapped, and she has a lot on the ball. Still, I probably won't take her up on the babysitting.* Lester pushed past her, tucking the bank bag into his jacket. She noticed how he eyed the new girl and thought, *Normal and sane ain't always all it's cracked up to be.*

The girls ate a good breakfast, then got the uniform from Donna and listened while she ran down a few more details about what would be expected of her. She knew she wasn't going to LIKE this job, but then how many people actually LIKED what they did for a living? The girls were determined that somewhere down the line they WOULD, though. "Life's too short to spend it doin' something you hate," Acacia stated firmly.

They had intended to spend the afternoon and evening just goofing off, maybe going to the movies, then looking for something that resembled a club. They hadn't been to one yet, but Acacia and Naresha were eager, Milda was non-plussed. As a concession to her, they went and saw Mary Poppins instead of Goldfinger. But the two elder sisters didn't get their night out. As evening approached all three sisters began to feel... off. It wasn't easy to explain.

Acacia felt it first. By late afternoon she was pacing the room like a caged animal, her steps so rapid that it was only her excellent reflexes that kept her from slamming into the walls. Naresha and Milda stayed on the bed to keep out of her way. Acacia was rubbing her temples continuously. "Christ, my head feels like it's going to split wide open. Gimme another aspirin, Naresha."

"Darling, you took them all, you hog."

Acacia stopped for a moment, staring at her. "I couldn't have. There was half a bottle left."

"More like a quarter. You forget how many we've been taking lately with the tootsy twinges. Anyway, you took the last one a half hour ago, and now there's none left for Milda or me."

"Well, shit, I'm sorry. You should have said something."

"Milda wouldn't. and I didn't realize it till I went for a dose myself a couple of minutes ago."

"You're head is hurting, too?"

"My head, my back, my feet, my hands. You name it, darling. The only thing that isn't hurting is my hair, and I have no doubt that will start soon."

Acacia looked at Milda. The younger girl was stretched out on the bed. Her normally pale face was almost white, and her blue eyes were dark. "Sweety, are you hurting, too? Why didn't you say anything?" Her answer was a weak smile. "Shit! Baby, you can't DO this. You have to tell us if you feel bad, okay?"

Her voice was faint. "Okay. I feel bad, Casey."

Acacia sighed. "I'd offer to go get some more aspirin, but I don't think it would do much good."

Naresha massaged her right hand, then her left. They ached as if she had a bad case of arthritis. "The aspirin works for shit, darling. We'd need something much stronger, if it was going to do any good."

Milda said faintly, "You can't get anything stronger without a prescription, and we don't have a doctor. The only one we could see would be at a public clinic, and they aren't likely to prescribe any painkillers if we just walk in off the street."

Naresha patted her arm. "My dear, naive little sister, there are a great many prescription drugs dispensed without the blessing of a physician, just not through pharmacies. The problem is that we are not familiar enough with the area to locate an independent entrepreneur. We'll just have to tough it out, unless it seems to become life threatening. In that case..." she sighed. "Well, hopefully the local emergency room will not be too nosy."

"Nar, are you going to be able to go to work tomorrow?" Acacia asked, concerned. "Maybe you ought to call in and tell them you're sick."

"Are you kidding?" Naresha's tone was grim. "That bastard, Lester, does not strike me as an understanding sort. You can be sure that I wouldn't HAVE a job if I did that. Besides, I don't want to leave Donna alone if I can help it."

Milda's smile was a little more genuine. "Yeah, she's a nice lady. You could tell by the way she looked when she talked about her daughter." The smile grew wistful. "I bet she's a good mother."

Acacia grunted. "I don't have much to compare with, but I guess they DO exist."

"Casey, will you please sit down for a moment so I can pace?" Naresha demanded. "I feel like my skin is about to crawl off my body, and if we BOTH try to pace there will be a collision the likes of which has not been seen outside a demolition derby." They traded places and Naresha paced while Acacia fretted on the bed.

It only got worse. By nightfall Milda was curled up in a shivering ball, and Acacia and Naresha were hurting too bad to pace. Acacia was in the room's one straight backed chair, and Naresha was beside Milda, stroking her back, even though her hand was curled almost into a fist with the pain. "Casey," her voice was a rasp. "I think it's time to call for help. We'll just have to hope that we can get well fast enough to bolt before they realize who we really are and notify..." There was a long, low moan. "Casey?" She looked at her sister.

Acacia wasn't in the chair anymore, she was huddled on the floor. She was clawing slowly at the cheap rug, and Naresha saw with numb astonishment that she had already ripped a hole in it. There were bloody rims around her cuticles, the nails were almost two inches long, curved like fish hooks, and just as pointed at the end. "Casey!"

Acacia's head swivelled in a fluid motion to gaze up at her sister. *Dear God, her eyes.* They were... wrong. The pupil was a long, vertical slit. Acacia's voice was hoarse. "Something's happening." She turned, moving on all fours, and stared toward the door. "The moon. The moon is up."

*She couldn't know that. We haven't been outside since before sunset. But... she's right. I can FEEL it.*

"Hurts!" Naresha turned quickly back to Milda. The younger girl was stretching, extending herself from the ball she'd been curled in for the past couple of hours. Her legs straightened, toes stretching, then... Naresha blinked. *I'm hallucinating. I don't know what's wrong with us, but it's making me see things.* Because at the end of the stretch, Milda's knees started to bend, but they were bending THE WRONG WAY.

There was a crackling, crunching sound that made Naresha queasy. She had a feeling that this was the same sort of sound a doctor heard when he was setting a particularly bad break, or forcing a dislocated arm back into it's socket. Milda looked at Naresha with frightened eyes, eyes with slit pupils, and gasped, "What's happening?"

"Oh, God, baby. I don't know!" Naresha's vision was changing. Color faded out of the world, leaving it in tones of grey, and she knew that if she looked in the mirror she would see the same peculiar eyes peering back at her. *Cat eyes.* Her gaze darted to Acacia. Her sister was rolling on the floor. Her clothes were already in tatters, and she was shredding them even further with her long claws. She that the skin on Acacia's arms, legs, and, yes, her face was darkening. Not as if she had acquired an odd patterned tan, though. This was moving past town into out-and-out brown.

It was hard to keep track of this, because Naresha's own pain had escalated horrendously. She was in agony. Every joint felt as if it was being forcefully rearranged, and there was a hot itching all over her body that made her want to scratch her skin off.

She noticed that Milda was pulling off her own clothes, her hands made clumsy by the nails, and the fact that her fingers seemed to be shrinking, blunting. She was making a shrill, crying sound that was hauntingly familiar. But Naresha didn't have the time or energy to wonder at this, because she had to get her own clothes off before they strangled her.

When she slid her pants down her legs, her hand stroked over short, downy fur that was a warm, chocolate brown. *This isn't right. I keep my legs shaved smooth, and even if I didn't, even if I was locked up for a year without a razor and went natural, my body hair isn't THAT thick and dark.*

As she thought this, two paws, as big as fists, landed beside her hip, and she looked up. She shouldn't have been able to recognize the creature, but there was no mistaking it as Acacia. Even though the ears had grown wide, dark, and pointed, and moved to the top of her skull. Even though the cheekbones had widened, and the chin narrowed, and stiff white bristles grown on either side of a triangular, moist nose. She could still see Acacia in the eyes, but it was a confused, frightened Acacia. And a confused, frightened Acacia was dangerous. There was enough of her rational mind left to hope that no one came to the room, and that they weren't going to be able to operate the knob with these new type hands.

The last thing she really remembered was seeing the long, furry tail unfurl from the base of Milda's spine.

~~~~~~~~

They woke up the next morning in much the same way they had the morning before: curled together on the bed. The only real difference was that they were all three naked.

They had awakened more or less at the same time, but all three lay still for a few moments. At last Milda, in the middle as usual, said timidly, "I had... a weird dream."

Naresha said quietly. "Stop, Milda. Before you go any further, let me see if I can tell you what it was. Acacia, you listen also. I think you'll find it familiar. We got sicker and sicker last night. Then something happened. Something very, very odd. We changed."

She could feel Milda trembling, and she petted the other girl's head soothingly. "We were still ourselves, but we... Oh, hell, darlings, there's no way to say it and make it sound sane. We were cats."

She heard Acacia's sharply indrawn breath. Her eldest sister sat up, looking over Milda's body at Naresha. "We weren't just cats, Naresha. All of us were Siamese cats. Fucking BIG Siamese cats."

Milda said, "What does it mean when we all have the same dream?"

Naresha picked up the shreds of what had once been a blouse. "It means that it wasn't a dream, darling. It means that it fucking well HAPPENED."

Milda's expression relaxed. "Oh. Well, that's all right, then." Her sisters looked at her in astonishment. She shrugged. "I don't mind being a cat. I like cats."

"Well, so do I, pet, but doesn't this strike you as a teeny bit bizarre?"

Now it was Acacia's turn to shrug, though her eyes were still troubled. "It's not like we've had what's considered a normal life up till now, is it? Nar, you'd better get your butt in gear. You only have about a half hour before you're due at the diner, and you don't want to be late your first day. Lester might not fire you, but from the looks of him he'd be happy to dock your pay an hour."

"But we need to discuss what happened and figure this out."

"Aside from..." She leaned over and peered at the floor. "one hole in the rug and some ruined clothes, there doesn't seem to be any damage. Acacia looked puzzled for a moment. "And only your clothes got trashed. I thought for sure that I'd shredded mine. Oh, well."

Working was the last thing Naresha wanted to do, but, despite her general laziness, she didn't shirk family responsibilities. She arrived at work five minutes before she was due.

Donna studied the girl critically. "Kiddo, you're a little young to be having morning afters, aren't you?"

"Donna, dearest, I wouldn't mind so much if I'd really had a night before. I don't deserve this, really."

"Are you sure that you're up to this?"

"I have to be, don't I? Hand me an order pad." She smoothed the snug uniform down over her hips and unbuttoned one more button. "I intend to drag a fair amount of change out of these lovely yahoos before I get off.":

And she did. Things went well. There were very few mix ups. The cook had to get used to her handwriting, and there were a couple of times when the eggs ended up scrambled instead of sunny side up, but Naresha managed to actually cajole the customers into eating them, telling them that her sister had informed her that runny yolks were bad for your health. Thus there was no wasted food on her shift, and that was almost unheard of with a new girl.

Lester showed up to get the morning receipts. When he came out of the office with the bank bag he watched Naresha operate for a few moments. Donna was sitting at the counter, taking her break, and he sat next to her. "How's she doing?"

"Better than you deserve. She's good. She was a little rocky when she came in, but she perked right up."

"Nobody is better than I deserve, darlin'." He watched the way the hem of the uniform lifted another inch as she bent over to fill a coffee cup. "How's she doing on tips?"

Donna made a disgusted sound. "I wouldn't know. Look, Lester, can't you lay off on that, at least for a few days? I t think she needs the money." "Everybody needs money, Donna." He gave her a hard look. "Some people are just a little more sensible about taking advantage of their opportunities."

"I've told you over and over, I'm not interested in your 'side line'."

"Fine. Wait until your kid starts whining about having to wear the same dress to school three or four times a week. You can give me your split of tips now, if you don't mind."

Donna snorted, pulling a handful of bills and change out of her pocket and beginning to sort through it. "You're not MUCH better than the IRS, Lester. It's just that it's easier to spread it out from week to week than to pay it in a lump sum once a year."

He regarded the meager amount she handed him disdainfully. "This is hardly worth the effort."

"Says you. I put plenty of effort into it. You can always give it back." He pocketed it. "Thought so."

Naresha had one knee on a booth seat and was carefully wiping down the table when Lester started out. He stopped beside her. "Miss Ballard."

"Please, Naresha. When you call me Miss Ballard, I feel like you're talking to someone else."

"All right, Naresha. Tell you what, instead of bothering to figure out ten percent of your tips, just give me a five for today and tomorrow. How does that sound."

*Like fucking highway robbery. There's no way I'm going to earn fifty dollars in tips in two days, not unless I'm offering the customers blow jobs under the table.* Aloud she said, "Well, it's a bit stiff, but I suppose there are some aspects of life we simply must deal with." As she handed him the money she thought, *And I may eventually let Acacia deal with you, if you get as nasty as I think you might.*

She was aching and weary by the time she finished her shift, but she'd managed to come up with another eight dollars in tips, more than enough to buy another supply of aspirin and some more Epson salts. Acacia and Milda were looking a little better, but, "Let's face it, darlings," Naresha said, "We all look like, pardon the horribly pun, something the cat dragged in."

Milda was on the bed again, hugging her knees and rocking. "I'm scared. What if... what if we ARE crazy, like The Bitch said?"

"I don't think we're crazy, kiddo." Acacia cocked her head, brow wrinkling. "Well, not crazy like THAT, anyway. There's something about this that feels almost FAMILIAR to me."

"But not first hand familiar." Naresha added, and Acacia nodded. "It was like I'd SEEN something like that before, been around it." She frowned. "But I don't think it should have HURT like that."

"We need to ask Kitten." The other two looked at Milda. She shrugged. "I think she knows."

"Will she talk to you?" Acacia asked hopefully.

"I'm not sure if she'll talk, but she might show me. I'll need to go back into the fog."

Her sisters sat on either side of her. "Try, dear," Naresha urged. "I really need to know what the fuck is going on. I have a feeling that things might not be too healthy for people around us till we do."

1964--Kitten

Milda stretched out on the bed, closing her eyes. Acacia hoisted herself up to sit on the dresser,
swinging her legs, and Naresha sat beside Milda. She took Milda's hand and stroked it. "Are you ready, darling?" Milda nodded. Naresha bit her lip. "I hate to ask you to do this, Milda, but we really NEED to know what's going on."

Acacia agreed. "Hey, I know we're screwed up, but this... Don't know about you, kids, but much more of this could make me REALLY batty. I mean the serious kind that gets you slapped in the room with the mattresses strapped to the walls."

"Quiet, please," Milda murmured. "She's a little shy, I think." She paused, then called quietly, "Kitten?" A pause. "Come on, Kitten, sweetie, I know you're there." She was silent for a moment, then smiled slowly, and whispered, "She's stalking me." Milda raised her voice. "I'd better be careful. There are dangerous things in this fog. Something's liable to pounce on me."

They could see the faint motion of her eyes under her closed lids, as if she were watching something. Milda whispered, "I wish you could see her. God, she's so cute! She's crouched down on all fours, waving her little butt and creeping forward an inch at a time." The other two sisters smiled at the image this called up. Milda spoke up again. "Oo! I feel all prickly. I just KNOW something is getting ready to jump on me! A-a-a-nd... THERE YOU ARE!"

She gave a sudden, delighted squeal, and said in a high pitched voice. "Nonono! I gotcha!"

In her normal voice Milda said, "Well, I suppose you did, Kitten. Hello. Do you know me?"

She nodded, and in the childish voice said, "Youse Milda." Her eyes opened. Milda's gaze was always gentle and innocent, but now the expression in her eyes was different. It was more childlike, but somehow there was a hint of forcefulness that Milda had lacked. She pointed at her sisters in turn. "Youse Casey, an' youse Reesha." She gave them a wide grin. "Wanna see what I look like?"

"Of course, darling," Naresha said, waving at Acacia, who hopped down off the dresser. "Can you show us?"

"Sure!" Milda scooted off the bed and skipped over to the dresser. She put her hands on its top and went up on her tiptoes, as if she needed to stretch to see into the mirror. Acacia and Naresha pushed in close beside her, examining the reflection. This was how each had seen the other for the first time, and they saw no reason why it shouldn't work for Kitten also.

It did. It wasn't Milda reflected in the glass. The figure between them looked much smaller than she should have. In fact, all that was visible was the top of a sleek little head and a pair of familiar almond shaped blue eyes. Acacia said casually, "Lemme help you up, kid." She put her hands on either side of Milda and slid them upward, making a soft grunt, as if she was lifting a weight.

In the mirror it looked as if she had slipped her hands under the child's arms and lifted her up. Now they got a good look at her. She had hair almost exactly like Acacia's--just a little longer, a little finer. The sharp angles that marked all the sisters' features were padded and softened by baby plumpness, but they were there. She regareded them with frank curiosity.

Naresha smiled, reaching to tousle her silky hair. "Well, I guess there isn't any doubt as to who YOU'RE related to."

The child said, "My daddy says I'm gonna be a chocolate point, like my gramma."

Acacia and Naresha exchanged glances. Acacia said gently, "Chocolate point, huh?"

"Yeah. Daddy's a seal point, that's darker'n chocolate. I like chocolate, even better'n mousies."

Naresha wrinkled her nose. "Mousies?" Then she looked thoughtful. "Mousies, huh?"

Kitten nodded vigorously. "I'se commin' out." Acacia turned loose of Milda, who backed up slowly as the child in the mirror gripped the edges and pulled herself out, stepping onto the dresser. Now they were all four reflected in the mirror. The child plopped down on the dresser top, comfortably crossing her legs and perching like a pixie. She continued, "I like mousies, but Daddy says not to eat 'em cause my tummy ain't big enough an' I be sick."

"Makes sense to me," Acacia said. "Tell us more about your Daddy, kiddo. He said you'd be a chocolate point?"

She nodded. "Yup. An' he said I'd be a hunter, an' he told the doggie man I'd be a warrior." She puffed out her small chest. "An' I AM gonna. Just like Daddy."

Milda squatted down and looked into the little girl's face and said gently, "Sweetie, did you hurt yourself?"

For the first time Acacia and Naresha took a good look at the little girl, more than just her face, and they both started. The little girl was dressed in minute shorts and a top decorated with dancing frogs. The shirt had been very, very cute at one time, but now it was... gruesome.

From hem to collar the front was soaked with gore. And the child's hands... She was smeared with blood almost up to her elbows. "Jesus, kid!" Acacia began to examine her frantically. "Who hurt you? You tell me and I'll rip him from asshole to gullet! I'll eat his liver!"

The child's bright expression drooped, and she said sadly, "I'se not hurt. That... that's from... Daddy."

"Oh, sweetie." Naresha embraced the child. Kitten just sat for a moment, arms limp at her side. Then her arms crept around the neck of the older girl, and she pressed her face against Naresha's neck. "You can cry, if you need to, darling," Naresha whispered.

Kitten whispered. "Uh uh. Can't cry no more. I'se been cryin' a long, long time. Don't wanna cry no more. Hurts too much. Daddy's dead."

"Who was Daddy, Kitten?" Milda asked softly.

She pulled back a little. "Well, Mommy called him Barlan, but I always called him Daddy."

"What's Mama's name?"

"Um... Maggie."

The three girls exchanged looks. Acacia muttered, "The Bitch."

Kitten cocked her head and said scoldingly, "That's a bad word."

"I'm a bad girl, kiddo, but guess what? I'm your big sister."

Kitten's eyes got round, and her little pink mouth dropped open. Her voice was a high pitched squeak. "REALLY?"

"Truly. And not only that, but her and her," she pointed at Milda and Naresha, "are your sisters, too. How do you like that?"

Kitten slid off the dresser, landing in a graceful crouch, then sprang up and began to dance an enthusiastic jig around the room, chanting, "Knew it! Knew it!"

Acacia, unable to resist, started to dance with her, grabbing her hands and swinging her around till they both collapsed on the bed in a giggling fit. Kitten took the opportunity to pounce on Acacia, and they rolled around on the bed, wrestling. Milda and Naresha laughed at the shrill snarling and hissing sounds Kitten was making. Soon Acacia was answering her with only slightly deeper versions of the same sounds.

When they stopped, both were panting. Acacia said, "Kitten, hon, I got a funny question for you."

"Yeah?"

"What are you? Are you a little girl, or a funny looking little cat, or what?"

Kitten flopped over Acacia's belly, propped her chin in her hands, and considered. "Dunno for sure. I'se a girl, but I'se not like Mommy. Daddy says we's baskets."

The three older girls looked at each other. Acacia said, "Easter or picnic?"

Kitten laughed. "Silly! No, baskets. He says like in 'gypt. He says we was shipped there a long, long time ago."

"First class or cargo?" Naresha slapped her shoulder. "I can't help it."

Naresha said, "Was that Egypt, honey?" Kitten nodded vigorously.

Milda sat down on the bed and started rubbing Kitten's tummy. "Kitten, when your daddy said you were 'shipped' in Egypt, did he mean that the people really, really liked you?"

"Yep. Daddy said our bloody-lines reach a-l-l the way back to the temples."

Acacia picked at the hem of Kitten's shirt. The blood was fresh. She rubbed a smear between her fingers, and sniffed it. It was familiar, somehow. "Babydoll, how do you know your Daddy is a seal point? Did he tell you?"

"Well, he 'splained it to me, what seal point means, but I know 'cause I saw."

"What did you see?" The girls listened closely.

Kitten shrugged. "Daddy when he was a basket an' not a plain old man."

"What did Daddy look like when he was a basket?" Milda asked softly.

"YOU know!" She giggled. "A big ol' kitty cat!"

Naresha had always been the heavy reader in mythology and legends. Various elements of Kitten's prattle were fitting together. "Kitten, honey, could your Daddy have meant 'Bastets'?"

Kitten nodded. "Yeah. Baskets."

Naresha nodded. "Bastet, the sacred cat goddess of ancient Egypt." The dark haired girl smiled slowly. "That would fit you, Milda, love. She represents an aspect of the sun: gentle, helpful, warming and life-giving. Acacia and myself, though... Well, I think we're closer related to the earlier version of the cat-goddess--Sekhmet. She was more lion than cat--fierce, terrifying, bloodthirsty... She was a war goddess."

Kitten squealed. "Like Daddy said! A warrior."

"Yes, sweetheart. She represented the sun, too, but Sekhmet represented the cruel, destroying aspects of the sun." Naresha cocked a dark eyebrow at Acacia and said sardonically, "Between the two of us, darling, I'd say that could be a fairly accurate character study. You know, I always thought that all those old stories couldn't be COMPLETE bunk. For them to last so long and spread so wide, I figured there had to be SOMETHING there. Looks like this proves it."

Acacia thought about this. She looked at her hands, then flexed her fingers. Her nails extended a fraction of an inch. She wrinkled her brow, showing her teeth in discomfort, but said, "It doesn't hurt like it did. So..." She flexed again, and smiled. "So long as we aren't, like, sick." The nails slid back, and she tickled Kitten. "What else did your Daddy tell you about baskets, honey?"



1964, four weeks later--Interferrence

Acacia was laying across the bed on her stomach, reading a True Confessions magazine. *Why do all these stupid bitches keep mooning and moaning over those men? Why don't they just rip their throats out and get it over with?*

She heard the door open, then slam. A purse sailed over her head and smacked against the wall. It thudded heavily, landing with a muted jangle. Acacia looked back over her shoulder to see Naresha, in her perky little waitress uniform, standing before the door. Her legs were braced, her fists clenched, her head down, and she was breathing like a steam engine. Acacia snapped her gum. "Bad day?"

"Mother--fucking--Lester."

"That says it all." Acacia rolled over on her back, laying the open magazine on her stomach. "What is it this time?"

"What is it ever? I've been doing well in tips, so he upped his cut." She gave a shudder, and rubbed her hands briskly over her arms, then her thighs. "And the bastard is WAY too touchy-feely. He asked me for a date."

"Did ya tell him to fuck off?"

"Not in so many words, darling. I made vague noises about feeling a migrain going on. He was NOT gracious." She looked around. "Where's Kitten?"

"She went back. I think she plays with Kathleen."

"And Milda?"

Acacia raised her voice. "Milda? 'Resha's home."

Milda came out of the bathroom. "Goodness, you look like you're ready to chew nails and spit rust."

"Lester tried to check my slip strap, and I'm not WEARING a slip," she snarled.

Acacia started flipping through the magazine again. "Too bad he doesn't collect the take at night. I could take care of him and snag us some cash at the same time."

"Casey!"

The older girl shrugged. "Survival, sweetie."

"It would NOT be. We have money--we don't NEED to steal."

Naresha dropped down on the bed, kicking off her shoes. "It may BECOME a matter of survival, Milda. He's getting very pushy, is Mister Lester. I think he might be one of the ones who has a hard time understanding the concept of 'no'. How about rolling my tips for me, love?"

"Sure." Milda took Naresha's purse and removed a small paper sack of mixed change. She dumped it in a bowl on the dresser, then began to fill several partially filled rolls of nickles, dimes, and quarters. "I think we have about thirty dollars in change here. We ought to change it for bills soon."

"I'll bring it in to the diner tomorrow and change it out. That idiot Lester never thinks to bring enough coins."

When she was done, Milda went and knelt before Naresha, taking her sister's feet in her hands and beginning to massage them. "Nar, I wish you'd let Acacia or I trade off with you. We could wear the wig, and I bet no one would notice." They'd bought a black wig a week ago when they noticed that Naresha was growing blonde roots. It had been decided that it would be cheaper in the long run and a lot less aggravating.

"You two might be able to pass physically, dearest, but in behavior?" She made a rude, but good-noise. "Casey would rip the spleen out of some of the wolves, and you would be so sweet that it would seriously undermine my reputation." She leaned forward to caress Milda's coppery hair. "But thank you, sweet. I know your heart is in the right place. No, I'll do it--no reason why you two should have to share the shit."

Milda picked up one of Naresha's discarded shoes and ran her finger over the toe. "Oh, he must have really gotten to you. There's a hole here."

She sighed. "Damn. No wonder I have runs in my hose. Must've happened when he managed to push against my butt while he passed me behind the counter."

Acacia tossed down the magazine. "Did you check the newspaper?"

Naresha's full lips turned down at the corners. "Yes, I did. Tonight's the night, all right. We'll find out for certain whether or not this is going to be a regular part of our routine."

"Crap," Acacia pouted. "I was hoping to get down to that dance club on Green Street."

"You just have a crush on one of the waitresses," Naresha scoffed. She began to strip as the other
sisters spoke, then pulled on one of Acacia's short dresses, and donned her ankle-high boots.

"Do not. I like it 'cause the don't give a damn about checking IDs, and I can have a snort when I want to."

"I wish you wouldn't, Casey," Milda said quietly.

"Aw, geez, sis, don't go all Bible Belt on me."

"You know that isn't what I meant. It's just that the way we are it isn't wise to have too loose a grip on our control when we're around others." She noted Acacia's petulant scowl and smiled. "I'm not trying to spoil your fun, Casey. Why not just stick to wine, at least when we start to get close to our time? You can do that, can't you?"

Naresha removed the black wig, laying it on the dresser, and peering into the mirror.

Acacia studied herself, seeing only her own blonde streaked hair instead of Naresha's growing out 'do. "Yeah, I can do that." She frowned at the dark lipstick *How the hell did I get THAT on?* and wiped her mouth clean, then applied a fresh coat of bubblegum colored lipstick. "In fact, I can do that right now. The liquor store down the block doesn't check IDs any better than the club does. Back in a flash."

As she went out the door, Naresha called, "Please, God, no more Mad Dog!"

*****

Lester was weighing the merits of 80 proof versus 100 proof, wondering if it was worth the price difference. He heard the rapid tap of heels on the hardwood floor of the liquor store and looked up quickly. He caught just a flash of a familiar figure crossing to the wine cooler, and his interest perked up immediately. He'd been wanting to catch Naresha away from work for some time, and it looked like he'd finally gotten lucky.

He heard the sucking sound of the cooler door opening, then it's slam. There was the rap of footsteps and she crossed the aisle again. *Well, now.* It was the first time since she had been hired that he'd seen her in anything other than the waitress uniform. It wasn't what he would have expected of her: a sheath of screaming canary yellow decorated with large, green daisies. *Still, it's short--that's what matters.* He forgot about what he'd been doing before and went to the front.

She was leaning on the counter, looking bored while the clerk studied her ID card. He looked from it to her. She blew a bubble, snapping it, and raised an eyebrow at him. He frowned. She pushed another five dollar bill into the small pile of money sitting next to the bottle of Thunderbird. "Problem?"

He scooped the money up, tucking the five into his pocket. "Not at all, Miss Ballard. Happy to do business with you." He slipped the bottle into a paper sack.

Acacia picked it up and turned quickly, almost bumping into the leering man standing behind her. "Shit! Sneakin' up on people is a dangerous proposition, Mister! If you startled me bad enough, you coulda got this bottle upside your head."

"Now, now, Naresha. Is that any way to talk to your boss?"

The clerk frowned. "Naresha? I thought the card said Danielle."

"It's my middle name, okay?" His frown deepend. "Shit." She flipped another five at him. "OKAY?"

He made the five disappear. "Makes perfect sense to me."

She stalked toward the door, snarling, "Thanks a lot, dim-bulb! You cost me an extra five."

He followed. "But that's so unecessary, Naresha. If you went out with me I'd be more than happy to supply you with whatever drinks you want."

"Not interested." The bell jingled as she exited.

Lester followed. This was intrigueing. Naresha had always been so diplomatic at work, evading him with smiles and winks. He found this cruder rebuff interestin--it seemed so out of character.

She was standing at the corner, waiting for the light to change when he caught up with her. It was rush hour, and the cars were whizzing past. He stood beside her, and she turned her face away, pretending interest in the bus schedule on the sign at the stop. "What are you doing to your hair?" In this part of town, dark roots were not unusual, but BLONDE roots? She made no response. He reached out and touched her hair, curious.

The reaction shocked him. She whirled on him, knocking his hand away with a force that made it sting. "Hands off the merchandice!"

Lester regarded her with surprise. There was something different, something aside from the dress and the hair. It was the way she held herself, the ATTITUDE. There was a wild spark in those tilted blue eyes that he hadn't seen before. It made him start to get hard. "What's gotten into you, Naresha? You know, I could fire you."

"Fire away, an' quit calling me Naresha! Damn, I don't know how she's kept from gutting you by now." The light hadn't changed, but she sprinted out into traffic. There was the screeching of tires. Horns blared and voices were raised in curses. The girl skipped nimbly out of the way of a skidding Pontiac, flipping the bird at the howling driver, and made it to the other side.

Lester wasn't about to try that stunt--he waited for the light to change, then hurried after her. He saw her enter the parking area of a seedy motel, but lost sight of her. By the time he neared it, she was gone. *She must have ducked into one of the rooms. Well, at least I know where she's staying now. I'll be back later, Naresha, and we can discuss your attitude--and what you'll have to do if you want to keep your job.*

*****

Acacia tipped the long-necked green bottle up and let the wine slide down her throat. After a good, long pull she handed it over to Naresha, wiping her mouth, and began to sing. "Listen. Doo wha doo. Do ya wanta know a secret? Doo what doo. Do you promise not to tell? Oh-o-whoa."

Milda chimed in, harmonizing. "Closer. Doo wha doo. Let me whisper in your ear. Doo wha Doo. Say the words I wanna heh-ear."

Naresha, smiling, crooned, "Ahm in love with y-o-u..." She took a more conservative swig. "Don't tell me that wine makes you mellow, Acacia."

"I don't think anything could make me mellow right now except unconsciousness," Acacia replied. "Milda, babe, I know you're the Queen of Calm, but go ahead and take a few slugs, wouldya? I can tell that it's getting to you."

Milda sighed. "You're right--I AM feeling a little tightly strung." She accepted the bottle and drank. "How much good is this going to do us? One bottle for three people isn't likely to have that much effect."

"I dunno. We've almost finished it, and I'm starting to feel a little ripped," Naresha commented. "What per-centage alcohol is it, anyway?"

Acacia snatched the bottle away from Milda and drained it, then squinted at the label. "That is some fucking TINY print. I dunno." She held up her thumb and forefinger about an inch apart. "Probably about this much. I should have gotten two bottles, I guess. I'm hopin' that it'll make this hurt a little less."

"I don't think it will be quite as bad," murmured Milda. "I've noticed that flexing my nails hardly hurts at all now."

Naresha twitched the curtain and peered outside before letting it fall back. "The sun has set--it shouldn't be long before moonrise." She picked up the little cardboard sign that said DO NOT DISTURB, opened the door, and hung it on the outside doorknob before shutting the door again. She depressed and turned the button on the knob, locking the door. "Cheap ass place. They could at least have put in chains, too, but I guess they were afraid the guests would get up to something, and they wouldn't have been able to get in and shake their fingers."

*****

Lester watched as Naresha hung out the little sign, then shut the door. *DO NOT DISTURB, hm? What are you planning on getting up to in there? Anyway, I think you need some company. Very convenient, you having your own room. I hate having to shell out when I'm only going to use the bed for a couple of hours.*

He smoothed back his thinning hair and started over.

*****

The girl who sat on the edge of the bed was rubbing, her thighs briskly. Her palms were tickled by downy fur. "Oh, fuck! Well, at least I know this hair will disappear without my having to risk mutilation with a safety razor. Reesha, Milda, I've started. How 'bout you?"

Nareesha sighed deeply. "I think so. Gad, my bones ache!" Milda nodded.

"Okay, we agree, right? Anybody needs to use the bathroom, we try to remember to hop into the shower."

"Agreed." Naresha grimaced, nose wrinkling. "Rather than finding a little present in a corner, like last time."

There was a knock at the door. They all stared at it, then looked at each other. Naresha held a finger up to her lips, and they sat quietly. The knock came again--longer and more insistant. Someone outside called, "Come on, Naresha. I know you're in there."

"FUCK!" Acacia's whisper was fierce. "That bastard followed me."

Naresha groaned. "Casey, after all the trouble I've gone through to keep him from finding out where we live."

"It wasn't my fault--I TRIED to shake him."

The knocking graduated to thumping. "Naresha! I want to talk to you."

Naresha raised her voice, trying to keep the strain out of it. "Lester, I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Why don't we discuss whatever it is at work tomorrow?"

"You think I'm going to let that attitude you gave me pass that easily? C'mon."

"Get stuffed!" Acacia snarled. Naresha shushed her furiously.

"Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. You're a little too fresh for your own good. Open the door."

Naresha swore quietly, then whispered to the others, "In the bathroom and be quiet. I'll try to get rid of him."

As she followed Acacia to the bathroom, Milda whispered, "Reesha, hurry up! The moon..."

Naresha was pulling on a pair of slacks, hiding the warm brown fur that coated her legs. "I know, darling. I'll try."

*****

Lester listened to the noise on the other side of the door, puzzled. Was she talking to herself? He'd seen her do that a couple of times at work. *Fucking nuts, but that's all right. In fact, that's fine. People will be less likely to believe anything she tells them.*

The door opened. Naresha's expression was a little tight, but she didn't exude the cockiness that she had at the liquor store. "Lester, this really IS a bad time."

"What happened to the blonde roots?" Her hair was its usual uniform black.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I get it--you're wearing a wig. Your hair must be naturally blonde judging from the roots--why would you want to wear a wig? Unless you have a REASON for changing your appearance."

Her smile faded, and her blue eyes were cold. "If I did, it wouldn't be any of your business, would it? Go away, Lester, and we'll talk about whatever you want to tomorrow, but go away. I'm in a very bad mood right now. I may get... snappish."

"Enough of this shit." He pushed past her.

"Hey! Look, this is my home, you can't just come busting..."

"There's something really funny about you, Naresha. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I figure I have enough to make things REAL uncomfortable for you, if I so choose."

"I don't know what you think you know..."

"I know that you use a fake ID, and that you're underage, and that you've bought alcohol with it. I bet there's someone, somewhere looking for you." Her eyes were narrowing. "Who knows? There may even be someone willing to pay something to get you back."

Naresha's voice was low. "Lester, you don't know what you're doing, really you don't." Her gaze darted toward the bathroom door. "Look, I think I know what you want, and maybe we can work something out, but not now. There's someone else here."

"Boyfriend? I find that hard to believe. I've watched a hundred guys try to get into your pants, and they never made any headway."

She was scratching at her arms. "It's a man--it's my sister. She's the one you saw at the liquor store--we're twins. Look, I'm sorry if she snipped at you. I'll talk to her. I doubt if she'll apologize, but I'll try. But you have to go--NOW!"

"Not likely. I don't mind her being here at all. The only number I like better than two is three."

He started toward the bathroom, and Naresha grabbed at his arm. "Dammit, Lester! I'm trying to keep you from..."

He shoved her back, hard, sneering. "You might as well get it through your head that you're not going to stop me from getting what I want." He jerked open the bathroom. "Come out, come out, sis. You can't hide from me." It was empty. "Where are you?"

"Right here."

The voice came from close behind him. He turned, blinking. How had that other girl gotten behind him? He hadn't heard the door open. Then he blinked again. No, it wasn't another girl--it was Naresha, without the wig. The wig lay at her feet, like a small, sleek animal.

But WAS it Naresha? She seemed different. That hostile, angry gleam was back in her eyes. Her entire stance was different, her voice was huskier, without the little drawl he found so appealing. "Naresha?"

"No. And I fucking HATE hide and seek."

She lashed out. It never occured to him to duck. After all, she was just a girl. Her fist caught him flush on the chin, and he felt like someone had clipped him with a baseball bat. He staggered back, falling through the open bathroom door. He slipped on the worn tile and landed on his ass, swearing at the jolt of pain that lanced up his spine.

She stepped into the room after him. Dazed, he noticed that she was clenching and unclenching her hand, and he thought he saw bright orange between her fingers. After a moment he recognized it. It was a roll of quarters. No WONDER she punched like a mule kick. "You bitch! You're gonna get it now. I'll have your ass on assault."

"Make it attempted murder." She kicked. Her foot caught him just UNDER the chin this time, snapping his head back so that it smacked against the hard porceline of the toilet. He slumped, eyes closing. "Or better yet..." she grapped the limp man under the arms, turning and heaving him, and shoved his head into the toilet. "Let's go for the grand prize."

"Casey, no!" Milda came up behind her, grabbing at her sister's arms. "You can't!"

"Watch me."

"Casey, please, don't. Look, he isn't dead yet, he's still making bubbles."

"Milda, this'll be kinder than what will probably happen to him in a few minutes." Her nails had already extended, scraping shallow gouges in the back of Lester's neck as she held him.

Milda was always the gentle one, but she showed surprising strength. She managed to drag her sister away from her victim, then haul him up. He coughed and spluttered, but did not regain consciousness. "It doesn't have to be like that. We can leave him in here." She grabbed some towels and began to tie him up. "We can leave him in here and shut the door while we're changed."

"And what then, Mildey?" Naresha asked, watching as Milda tied the man's feet securely. "We can't just keep him in there forever. He'll make trouble for us after this."

"Simple. Tomorrow we leave. We leave him tied up here and just go, put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door. No one at work knows where to look for us. By the time the motel management comes around, we'll be long gone."

"I think that will work," Naresha agreed. "Shove a gag in there, love, and I'll give you a hose to tie it with."

"If we're going to do this, we might as well do it right. Better tether him to the base of the toilet," Acacia grumbled. "And hurry." She started to strip off her clothes, and her voice was thick. "It's
getting close."

In another minute they had the door closed, and they managed to shift the dresser in front of it. The last coherent thing Acacia said, just before she dropped onto all fours, was "That should keep the undeserving fucker safe."

*****

The next morning, very early, the three sisters were preparing to leave their room. "Is that everything?" Naresha cast a critical eye around the room.

"Yes." Milda closed and latched the second of their suitcases, setting it with the other and the overnight case. "I'll be glad when we can spend enough time in one place to acquire something other than a few clothes."

Acacia rubbed her shoulder. "We'll have our own little lair some day, kiddo. Don't you worry."

Milda cast a concerned look back to where the dresser was still across the bathroom door. "Do you think he's all right in there?"

They heard faint thumpings. "Yeah, he's okay. Good thing you thought to go in there and take off his shoes, Naresha. I don't think that's going to bother anyone enough for them to report it."

They went out, and Naresha said, "Just a minute, girls. That's Lester's car."

"So?" Acacia shrugged. "We can't take it. Too big a chance of being picked up--they LOOK for stolen cars."

"Not that, pet. Just a moment." She went back into the room and returned with a wire coat hanger. Milda and Acacia watched as she unbent it into one long wire, then formed a hook in the end.

An elderly man, another long term resident, was just shuffling back from the manager's office with a newspaper under his arm. "Lock your keys in your car, little lady?"

Naresha smiled charmingly. "Clumsy me."

"Here, let me help you with that." He took the wire and slid it down between the window and the side of the car. After a few moments of fishing around, he pulled upward. There was a thunk, and the lock inside popped up.

"You are SUCH a sweetie!" Naresha gave him a kiss on the cheek and, as old as he was, he blushed. He mumbled something about her having a nice day and went on to his room. When he was gone she opened the door and started rummaging around.

"What are you looking for, Naresha?" Milda asked, curious.

"This!" Naresha pulled a paper bag out from under the seat. She opened it and let her sisters peek inside. There was a zippered canvas bag inside. "Yesterday's bank deposit. I figure the shit owes me at least this."

"Fantastic. That should make up for the tips he extorted. Let's blow this popsicle stand," said Acacia.

"Yes. But let's drop the bags off at the bus station, then I have one more stop to make."

*****

Donna was hanging up her coat when Naresha came in. She eyed the girl, and got a sinking feeling in her stomach. Naresha was wearing streetclothes, and carrying a folded uniform. "I'm not going to like this, am I?" she said as the girl came over.

"I'd like to think that I'll leave a hole in your life." She smiled at Donna. "I'm sorry, dear, but
this is necessary. I have to leave. You'll know why soon."

"Well, at least you didn't just take off--you came around to say good-bye."

"I hate to leave you alone on the shift, you know that."

"I guess I do." She paused. "It's because of Lester, isn't it?"

"In a way, but I would have had to go soon, anyway. I'm going to miss you and Carol. Will you tell her good-bye for me?"

"Sure."

Naresha looked around. The last shift's waitress was in the back, clocking out. "I have something for you." She pulled something out of her pocket and pressed it into the older woman's hand.

Donna looked at it. Her eyes widened as she spread the bills. Five twenties. "Naresha, what...?"

"It's yours, Donna. You earned it. Use it to buy something nice for yourself and Carol." Her eyes hardened. "Buy yourself some nice clothes and go on job interviews for an office or a nice restaurant. Get out of this rat hole, and away from that rat."

Donna searched the girl's eyes. Such a strange girl, but she'd proven to be one of her better friends. She tucked the money down her blouse, into her cleavage. "Thanks, kid." She leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. "You try to pick somewhere better the next time, too, huh?"

"We'll see, but I think I'll have to spend a bit longer crawling around in the shadows." She handed the uniform to Donna. "It's paid for. Maybe you can alter it, or make a mother-daughter outfit for Carol for next Halloween."

Naresha strolled toward the door. She paused just before she stepped out onto the streets and gave Donna a little wave. Her smile was sly, feline. Donna waved back, watching her disappear. She whispered, "I don't know what you did to Lester, honey, but it probably wasn't enough."

1965--Lifestyle

"I want to work, too."

Acacia did not actually pat Milda on the head, but her voice was the tonal equivallent of that gesture. "Puddin, Naresha and me work. You're too young to be out on your own, and ONE of us needs to get a little rest sometimes." She didn't say it, but when Milda slept or rested, all three of the sisters benefitted. They didn't try to analyse it--they just accepted it.

"But if I worked, too, we could save a lot more," Milda insisted. "We want to have our own place eventually, right?"

"Right," said Naresha. "But that won't be for some time, darling. Remember, it's almost two years till we're eighteen, and have a legal chance of staying out of The Bastard's clutches, and twenty-one would be safer. We can't really settle down till then."

"But I want to HELP!"

They were in one more motel room in one more anonymous town, and Acacia and Naresha were preparing to go out job hunting. Milda had been hinting about wanting to work for the last month, and now she was trying, in her quiet way, to insist. She wasn't having any luck.

Acacia hugged her. "Sweetie, you DO help." She pointed to a pile of textbooks sitting on the table. One town they'd been in had had a university, and they'd gone to the used book store and loaded up on anything that looked interesting or useful. Milda DEVOURED chemistry and medical texts. "You're the one who's getting the education. ONE of us should."

Naresha hugged her also. "You keep us sane, sweet. We deal with the shittiness of the world, then come to you, and you soothe us back into some semblence of civilization."

Milda sighed. "Oh, all right." But she added, "For now! If we could just get someplace with a kitchen, I KNOW I could sell my baked goods." The last few waitressing jobs that Naresha and Acacia had taken, they had managed to get Milda time in the kitchen, and the girl had proved to be a wiz with a spatula. At the last place she had supplied all the cakes and pies. They would have stayed longer, but one day the manager had said he'd need to get her social security number, because the tax man had been making rude noises, and he had to account for all his saleries.

They were just on the outskirts of San Fransico now, close enough by bus for Naresha and Acacia to have a choice of job opportunities. They'd both found something they liked, and they'd gotten their schedules to mesh.

Acacia worked Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays at a discotheque. They'd wanted her to serve drinks and take turns in the dance cage. She'd simply refused to come out of the cage once she got into it. By the end of her first shift she was so obviously good, and so popular with the customers, that they didn't protest.

Naresha was waiting tables in a coffee house on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. It gave her the perfect excuse to dress all in black and style her make-up as dramaticly as possible.

Once they'd worked long enough for both places to realize that they were keepers, they'd flatly told the management that there was simply going to be a few nights each month when they couldn't work past dusk. Acacia's manager had asked why. If she had been a man, Acacia probably would have said something along the lines of 'none of your fucking business'. Since it was a woman, she'd simply given her a cold look and said, "Religious reasons. You want my congregation to come picket this place if I can't attend services?"

"Anyway, Milda," said Naresha, handing her the classified section of the paper she'd brought back. "You have a very important job. You have to find us a crash pad where we can ALL stay."

Acacia nodded vigorously. "I've had enough of this 'No, it's only me' bullshit. I want to be able to come and go whenever I feel like it."

"Besides, you're not all that good at impersonating dear Milda," Naresha said dryly.

Acacia scowled. "I try."

Milda smiled at her fondly. "I know, Casey. But a wig isn't enough. If you dyed the fur of an attack dog, you still couldn't convice people that it was a seeing eye dog."

Acacia laughed. "Anyone else said that to me, I'd spin their head around. I know that YOU mean it as a backhanded compliment."

Milda got a pen and flopped on the bed, on her tummy, to begin her search. After a few moments she said, "I don't think we're going to be able to get an apartment. They're all either horrendously expensive, or require references, or want you to sign a lease."

"So?" Acacia was trying to rub a mark off her new patent leather mini-boots. "It's not like they'll be able to find us if we blow town and break the lease."

"Not the point, darling," Naresha told her. "If they want a lease, they have a nasty habit of wanting to really peruse your papers, and bring in notaries, or other creatures."

"I think our best bet is a rooming house. There seem to be a lot of places offering rooms to let..." she squealed happily, "with kitchen privileges! Oo, there are TONS of them. We're bound to find something."

*****

Later that afternoon they weren't so confident. "Men only, one month deposit, no sharing rooms, no pets... I don't like them, but I can understand," it said Acacia. "But no red meat?"

Naresha shook her head, "San Fransico is quite odd, and if WE think that..."

"This next one looks promising," Milda said. They paused a half block away and took a good look at the house. The street sloped, and they had a good view. It was a Victorian era two story, with lots of gingerbread trim and very little paint left on the walls. But the yard was neatly maintained, and there were beautiful beds of flowers. She craned her neck. "It looks like it has a big back yard, and I think I see a vegetable garden back there."

"Good." Naresha shaded her eyes and studied the house. "I'll be damned. The windows are clean. Maybe the owner will be too busy to go poking their nose where it isn't wanted."

"Fingers crossed, guys," Milda murmured. She walked down to the house and went up on the porch. Taking a deep breath, she pushed the button, and smiled when she heard a three tone chime. After a moment she heard footsteps, light and quick, approaching from the inside.

*****

Anna Collins looked up from the golden brown pound cake she'd just eased out of the loaf pan. She peeled off her oven mitts and tossed them on the table before leaving the kitchen. *Maybe I'm cutting them too soon. Maybe it will be good to let it rest for a few moments. Ah, yes, Anna. Surely that's what causes the gooey centers.*

She paused at the front door and looked through the peephole. This was more for form than function. The glass was small, thick, and had become warped over the years. She couldn't see much, and what she could see was distorted. All she could really make out was long red hair, and these days that didn't even necessarily tell you whether it was a boy or a girl.

She opened the door, and found herself smiling without even thinking about it. The girl on the other side of the door was quite young *Oh, they all seem so young these days.* Her skin was pale, to go with the red hair, and the eyes behind rimless glasses were a pale, mild blue. She smiled back, and Anna saw that she was holding a folded newspaper. "Well, are you here about
a room, or a kitten?"

The girl's smile grew. "You have kittens?"

"It's a room, then. Come in, young lady." She shut the door behind them and led the girl down the hall. "Come on back to the kitchen. We can discuss a room, AND you can have a look at the kittens."

The girl made a straight line for the old wooden fruit box against the wall near the stove. "Dear!" Anna said anxiously. "Oh, be careful! Lulu is a first time mother, and she's nervous, she might scratch or bite."

"She won't do that to me," the girl's voice was confident. She peeked over the edge. A small tortoiseshell cat, lying on it's side with three motled balls of fur curled up tight against her. The cat regarded the woman bending over the box with large yellow eyes, and a growl rumbled in her throat. The girl said softly, "Hey, little mama! Can I please see your babies?"

"Girl, PLEASE be careful!" Anna had raised Lulu, and the high strung cat had still laid a stripe on the back of her hand the first time she tried to touch one of the kittens.

"Don't worry." She held out her hand slowly. The growl died. The cat made a curious, chirping sound, and stretched her neck to sniff the offered fingers. Then to Anna's astonishment, the cat sank back, her eyes slitted lazily, and began to purr. "That's right. We understand each other, don't we, sister?"

The girl carefully lifted a tiny kitten, cradling it in her palm and holding it close to her face. "Hello, baby. Oh, aren't you just the sweetest thing!" The kitten, eyes still gummed shut, lifted it's wobbly head. It opened it's toothless mouth and made a noise like a water droplet hitting a hot griddle. The girl shook with laughter, glancing gleefully at Anna. "Ooo, so vicious. Blind, toothless, and can barely hold his head up, but he won't take any nonsense off anyone." She deposited the kitten with it's littermates, and stood up. "Reminds me of my sister Acacia. I guess I'd better not bother them too much."

"Come have a seat and I'll give you some tea and poundcake, dear, and we'll discuss why you came."

"Oh, thank you. It's been a while since I had anything home made. I hope it's no trouble?"

"No, not at all. I had the kettle on already, and it's just come to the boil. And you'll be doing me a favor, helping me taste the poundcake. It's been giving me some trouble lately. By the way," she offered her hand. "I'm Anna Collins."

"I'm Milda Ballard. You have strong hands. Do you bake much bread?"

Anna blinked. "Why, I usually make a few loaves every week."

Milda nodded. "It's the kneading, then. And I'll bet you take care of your garden yourself."

Anna poured water over the tea and put the lid on the pot, bringing it to the table. "I spend a lot of time with both my vegetables, and my flowers. You're quite an observant child." She hesitated. "I hope that doesn't offend you? I know some young people are very touchy, but you just seem..."

"It's all right--I'm used to it. I'm the baby of the family." She tucked a strand of hair back behind her ear.

Anna was surprised to notice what looked like a tiny bit of webbing near the girl's hairline. *I would have thought she was a bit young to wear a wig, but the girls these days are doing things much sooner than they did while I was growing up.* "So, you have a sister. Does she live nearby?"

"Actually, we don't live anywhere right now. I don't count the motel as 'living' somewhere--sheltering, maybe. Thank you." Milda stirred sugar into her tea, and sipped.

"I suppose I should have warned you that it's camomile," said Anna apologetically.

"Oh, no, it's wonderful." Milda smiled over the cup rim. "But you said something about poundcake? And I have TWO sisters, both older--Acacia and Naresha."

"You're parents were creative, weren't they?" Anna was getting a sharp knife, forks, and saucers.

The girl's smile twitched, and there was a flash of discomfort in her eyes. "I really wouldn't know."

"Oh. I'm sorry, dear."

"It's all right."

"You can't stay with either of your sisters?" She cut a thick slice of cake, laying it carefully on one saucer.

"No. You see, we ALL need a place, and we don't want to be separated."

Anna paused in laying the second slice on it's saucer. "Oh, dear. All of you? I only have one room available right now, dear. It has a big bed, but..."

"I'm sure it would be all right," she said quickly. "As long as you wouldn't mind having us all."

Anna frowned, setting the saucer in front of the girl. *She's worried about this, but she's trying not to show it.* "Dear, don't you have anyone you can stay with? You're awful young to be living off on your own."

"I told you, I'm not alone." Her eyes were sincere. "I have my sisters. We take care of each other." She cut a forkful of the cake and ate it. Her jaw stopped working, and her brows drew together.

"Oh, no!" sighed Anna. "It's gummy in the middle again, isn't it?"

Milda nodded, and swallowed. "Uh, yes. A bit."

"I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If I bake it any longer it will burn before the center gets done. I just don't understand. I've used the exact same recipe for years, and suddenly in the last month or so--THIS!"

Milda poked her fork at the gooey interior of her cake slice. "Have you had the thermostat on your oven checked?"

"Yes, and it's fine. My other recipies aren't reacting like this. Well, the cookie textures have been a bit off, but nothing like this."

"Are you sure you haven't been doing anything different? Anything at all?"

"Nothing. I haven't changed any of the measurements, I add everything in the same order, I mix the same amount of time."

"Mmm. What about the sugar?"

"Exactly the same amount."

"No, I mean have you switched brands recently? Maybe gone from cane to beet, or vise versa?"

"I... Does it make a difference? I usually use Sparkle, but recently I bought a different brand. It was on sale. Would that make a difference?"

"Oh, absolutely! Especially if the grind is finer." The girl leaned forward, eyes bright. "You see, sugar makes up a big portion of the cake's structure. It's like building blocks, you know? If you use a different size and shape building block, even if you use the same amount, of course you're going to get a different result."

Anna smiled at the warm enthusiasm. "Are you a baker or a scientist, child?"

"I don't see why I can't be both."

"That's an unusual attitude for a girl these days."

"We're an unusual family." Milda said hesitantly, "The price in the newspaper... We could pay some more, but triple would be difficult."

Anna sighed. "I'm going to have to use that sugar just for tea and coffee, I suppose, and go back to my old brand. Tell me, dear, would you be willing to help a little bit with the cooking, and the
housework?"

"Oh, I'd LOVE to help cook! I usually don't get a chance. There's so little you can do when all you usually have is a hot plate."

"Are your sisters as nice as you?"

Milda hesitated, then said quietly, "I love them. But sometimes... You see, some people..."

"You're an unusual family. If you love them, I doubt I'll find much to object to. I have a male border, also, but he's a lovely, sweet boy. You'll have to share a bathroom, but he won't give you any trouble at all, I'm sure. Will he be a problem?"

Milda thought about Acacia. "If he's nice, he shouldn't be." *I'll have a talk with her. It better
NOT be a problem. This place is perfect.*

Anna stood up. "Well, come along and have a look at the room, and see if you think it will do for you and your sisters. If it suits, all I'll ask extra is that you kick in a little for groceries, if you plan on taking meals here."

"Oh, sure we will! And don't worry, we don't eat much, and we don't take up a lot of space. You'll hardly know you have extra borders."

*****

Milda had brought a suitcase up to the room and said that she wanted to take a little nap, and her sisters would be along later. Anna had managed to find part of a bag of the old brand of sugar, and was trying the poundcake recipe again. She wouldn't have known about Milda's escapade if she hadn't gone and opened a window on the other side of the house to try to get a little breeze to blow through.

She'd just let the curtains drop back over the window in the parlor when she heard a rustling, scraping noise. She knew what it was immedieately--Milda had climbed out her bedroom window into the spreading branches of the great elm that grew beside the house. Even when she was a child the tree had been large enough for her to try the same stunt. Her parents hadn't been very tolerant. Those night time escapes had contributed to their reasons for 'sending her away for help'.

The rustling continued, then there was a faint thump. *The girl is light on her feet. I wonder why she felt the need to sneak out?* She went back to the kitchen. The front bell rang again a few minutes later as she was slipping the second poundcake into the oven.

This time the girl on the front porch was a symphony in black and white, with Dutch doll shiny black hair. The eyes were the same pale blue as Milda's, but the features seemed sharper. Or was that merely the slighty sly expression. "Hello, I'm Naresha, Milda's sister? You must be Mrs. Collins."

"Not Missus, dear. Come in." The girl whispered past her, and Anna saw that she was wearing satin ballet type slippers. *She's light on her feet, too.*

Naresha accepted a cup of coffee, "Strong enough to float a mouse, if you can, darling. I work in The Cuppa, and I swear, what they call coffee, I call hot water."

"Where's the other sister--Acacia, was it?"

Naresha made a vague gesture. "She had a few things to take care of. I think she'll be bringing a few groceries, as a starting present."

"Goodness, you girls just got here. There's no need for that."

"We pull our weight." She finished her coffee, and got up. "I'll just go see if Milda's awake yet."

"Are you girls going to be comfortable? That's a big bed, but three of you..."

"It will be fine." She smiled. "We like to cuddle when we sleep." She went upstairs.

Later Anna was taking the poundcake out of the oven. It looked perfect, but then so had the others--till she cut them. She heard one of the girls moving upstairs. That was one thing about this old house, you could usually tell almost exactly where someone was in it. Sound seemed to travel through the old floorboards. It had to be one of the girls--Colin wouldn't be back till later.

The footsteps stopped, and she smiled, thinking of the two girls snuggling together on the old bed. Then the doorbell rang again. "One, two, three. Let's see what we have this time."

Anna found herself blinking at the young woman standing on the porch, giving her a cheeky grin. "Oh, my!"

"Yeah, I know. No, we aren't triplets." Once again, aside from the hair color and style, the main difference was in the girl's voice, and her attitude, how she carried herself. This one had Naresha's self-confidence, but with a heavy dose of what her father would have termed 'brass balls'.

Besides her suitcase, Acacia was juggling a large paper bag. "I got some perishibles that ought to get put away."

"Really, dear, you shouldn't have."

"Sure, I should." She unloaded the bag. "Milk, eggs, butter... REAL butter, cause of your baking. And Sparkle sugar, so you don't get oogey in the middle cakes anymore."

"You're very thoughtful."

"That's me--quiet, thoughtful, and serious." She crossed her eyes, and Anna was startled into a giggle. Acacia grinned at her. "I'll just trot on up and put my stuff away." She briefly rubbed Anna's arm. "I think we're gonna get on just fine here. Milda already thinks a lot of you." Anna followed her out to the hall and watched as she bounded up the stairs.

She was just slicing the second cake when she heard one of the girls come down stairs and enter the kitchen behind her. "Did it come out right this time?"

Startled, Anna turned around to find Milda looking over her shoulder. She glanced from the girl to the empty hallway beyond, then back to the girl. *I heard you leave the house, and you didn't come back in. That... that's not possible.* She said slowly, "Yes, dear. It turned out beautifully tender and moist, but not the least gummy."

"Good. I knew the sugar change would work." She tucked a strand of hair back behind her ear again...

...and Anna saw a whisp of blonde hair beneath the red. She looked at the girl's face sharply, and had a sudden sense of vertigo. It was as if a series of filters were flicked quickly over the girl's face, subtle changes flickering so quickly that they were scarcely noticable. "Milda?"

The flicker came again, and for a moment she saw the shrewdness of Naresha and the hardness of Acacia peering from Milda's gentle eyes. "Yes, Miz Collins?"

Anna stared a moment more, then said slowly, "If you don't mind, dear, I'd rather not go by that name. It sounds like my mother, and... and we didn't get on well."

"What should we call you, then?"

"Why don't you just call me Nana, dear? Almost everyone does."

1965--Bonding

Milda woke up sometime in the deep of the night. She was on the outside of the huddle this time--Naresha and Acacia were wrapped together, a warm, living mass at her back. Milda lay on her side for a moment, watching the flicker of leaf shadows moving on the room's floor. This was nice. She was used to watching the buzz and flash of neon as it leaked around the curtains in motel windows, but this was different--peaceful.

Well, this was nice, but she'd awakened for a reason--her bladder was full. It was a heavy weight at the base of her belly, and it was approaching an ache. She slid carefully out of bed. Naresha slept nude, Acacia favored baby doll pajamas, and Milda wore an ankle length, floating cotton gown that wasn't much different from her dresses. She figured it was modest enough to venture out into the public part of the house.

The bathroom was down the hall. She padded toward it, not really needing the thin light that seeped under the bathroom door. She was reaching for the knob when she heard movement on the other side of the door, and she paused. *Oh, dear, I hope Nana isn't having a bad night. I have a little mint in my bag--that might help settle..."

The door opened, and she threw a hand over her eyes, squeaking in pain with the brightness. There was a gasp, and it didn't sound right--it was too deep. She split her fingers and squinted. All she could really make out was a tall, dark figure, outlined against the glare of a bare bulb.

Colin Whitcomb clutched the towel about his hips, gaping at the apparition before him. He'd always thought that this old pile must be haunted, no matter what Nana Collins said, and for a second he thought that he had proof. But the red hair spilling over the shoulders of the figure in white was too vibrant to belong to a spector. No, this was a girl. What she was doing here he had no earthly idea, but it was definitely a girl.

He couldn't see much of her face behind her hand, but he got an impression of piquant features, and a glint of blue between her fingers. One small, slender hand, fingers tipped by unpainted nails *long nails. Somehow they don't look right for her* extended pleadingly, and the girl whispered, "Light. Please, so bright."

"Oh, geez, I'm sorry!" Colin reached back and snatched at the dangling chain, plunging the bathroom into darkness. Now he was effectively blind, at least until his eyes adjusted. "I'm... maybe this is better, so you can't see... I mean, I didn't think anyone would be up, so I didn't bring my robe with me, and I didn't want to put my pants back on because I spilled coffee on them t'night, and..." His voice trailed off, because he could hear a soft chuckle. He found himself smiling. "Uh, right. Sorry."

"It's all right--you caught the towel in time. I didn't see anything." Her tone was friendly, and amused. "And if I did, I doubt it would have stricken me blind. I think I scared you worse than you scared me."

"I won't deny it. I thought I was being haunted for a second."

"Really?" She sounded pleased. "Nana didn't mention any ghosts."

"She denies it, but I have my doubts. Are you a relative of Nana's?"

"No, I'm a new border. You must be Colin. She told me about you."

"I came in late, and she was already in bed, so you come as a complete surprise to me, Miss...?"

"No Miss, just Milda. Milda Ballard. And I suppose I should tell you before you get scared out of a year's growth that there are three of us. My sisters Naresha and Acacia have moved in, too."

"That's great! Nana can use the extra income. I can't afford to give her much, and I know that
disability check she gets isn't exactly lavish."

"Disability?" Milda frowned in concern. "She's sick?"

"Not exactly. She..." Colin trailed off. "She'll tell you herself, if she wants to."

"I understand." Milda's vision had returned, and she regarded the young man before her. Colin was tall, over six feet, but slender. He had a long, gentle face, with a wide, humorous mouth. His damp hair was dark gold, and it brushed his shoulders. Milda felt an urge to reach out and touch it. She hadn't seen many men with long hair, and they all were rather nasty individuals, careless about hygiene. Colin's hair looked like it would be slean and soft. Clean. Yes, the scents radiating from Colin were of warmth and soap, and a peculiarly pleasant male muskiness.

Colin suddenly realized that they'd both been quiet for almost a minute. He wished that he'd had a chance to get a better look at her before he put out the light, but there was always tomorrow. "Well, I guess I'd better let you in. You must've had a reason for coming here."

She giggled as he moved past her, so close that she felt his arm brush hers. "Yes, I'm afraid I need to go scratch in the sandbox. Good night, Colin."

"Good night, Milda." The door shut, and Colin became aware of the gooseflesh that was creeping up his arms and legs. This old barn was impossible to keep heated, and he usually had enough sense to wear something warm when he got up at night. Tonight he'd been so weary when he came in late that he hadn't bothered, figuring the steam would keep the bathroom warm, and he could hurry to his room when he was done. He hadn't expected to be delayed by a redheaded
phantom.

When Colin thought of Milda, the cold seemed to recede for a moment, and he felt a warm flush. He hurried into his room and under the covers before it could disappear.

*****

Milda slipped back into bed. As she lay down, Naresha (who was in the middle this time) murmured sleepily, "Drafts, darling, drafts. Oo, and get those cold feet away from me."

"Sorry."

"Oh, drat. Put them over here." Milda did, and Naresha rubbed her own narrow, elegant feet briskly against Milda's chilled ones. "Better?"

"Yes, thanks."

"I thought I heard voices, dear. I'm assuming that one of them was you, but the other didn't sound like Nana."

"It wasn't. I told you about the boy border, didn't I?"

Acacia's face popped up over Naresha's shoulder, eyes glinting suspiciously. "What did he do to you?"

"Nothing. You think I can't scream for help if I need to? Don't get started, Casey. His name is Colin, and he seems like a really nice guy." Acacia snorted as she lay back down. "Well, he does! All he had on was a towel, and..." Acacia appeared again, like a jack-in-the-box. "Stop it. He was taking a bath, and I surprised him. If he was going to be slimy he could have 'accidentally' let the towel slip, but he kept a death grip on it and apologized himself breathless. He's all right." Grumbling, Acacia started to lie back down. "He's cute, too."

Acacia jerked back up, staring across Naresha at her youngest sister, who was snuggling down, eyes closed. "Mildy..."

Naresha's voice was weary. "For God's sake, Acacia, let it go. As much as I hate to disabuse you of your cherished belief, not ALL men are slavering beasts." She stroked a thick strand of Milda's coppery hair, her voice fond. "Milda hasn't had our problems. Maybe there's a chance for her."

*****

Colin was cheerful when he woke up. His life so far had pleased him pretty well so far, and there was seldom anything in his day that he really hated. Now, though, there was something to anticipate. Now that it was daylight, he was hoping to get a better look at the new border.

He rummaged through his drawers till he found a bright, tie-dyed tee-shirt instead of his usual drab white or gray. He stopped in the bathroom before going downstairs. Usually he waited till after breakfast to brush his teeth, but he did it now, then he carefully combed his hair till it was smooth and gleaming, and tied it back with a leather thong. After a moment's thought, and when a brief rub at his jaw produced a rasp, he shaved also.

He went downstairs and along the hall toward the kitchen. The smell of Nana's sour-cream coffee cake drifted out to greet him, but for once that didn't absorb him. He was more interest in the husky voice that was speaking to Nana. He hesitated just outside the door, frowning slightly. That didn't sound quite right. It was similar, but he was sure that Milda's voice had been lighter, higher pitched.

When he stepped into the kitchen he knew he had been right. The girl at the table had her back to him, but her hair was a sleek black cap instead of a ruddy fall. Nana, pouring a glass of milk at the counter, smiled at him. "Colin! My, you were late last night, weren't you?"

"Yeah, sorry about that, but the crowd was good. I think there was some sort of convention going on, and the tips were good. The bottom of my case was covered, and not all of it was coins..."

The girl at the table turned slightly, hooking an arm over the chair back, and smiled at him. He felt a sudden flash of confusion. The hair was wrong, but the face, and the eyes... *No, I have to be wrong. I didn't get all that good a look at her, after all.* "Well, I know who YOU'RE related to."

The dark haired girl gave a throaty laugh. "Wouldn't deny it even if I could, pet." She extended a hand, and Colin shook it, feeling as if he should kiss it instead. He felt her nails lightly graze across his palm--another similarity. "I'm the middle sister--Naresha. Acacia and Milda are being bed hogs and sleeping in." Nana put the glass of milk before her, and she took it, draining half of it in one long swallow. When she lowered the glass there was a white rim over her mouth, and she casually licked it away. She flicked ha finger against the nearly empty coffee cup that sat in front of her. "I love milk, and I love coffee, and never the twain shall meet."

"Sit down, dear," Nana said, cutting a slice of the coffee cake. "I know you want this. Would you like anything else?"

Colin sat, his mouth already beginning to water at the thought of the cake. "Some cheese-eggs would be good, if you don't mind?"

"Have I ever minded?" She put the cake in front of him, and scolded when he started to pick it up. "Not with your fingers!" She handed him a fork. "You young people."

Naresha sipped what was left of her coffee, nodding thanks when Nana gave her a piece of the cake, too. "Darling, if that bothers you, dear Casey is going to give you ulcers. The girl would have fit in perfectly in the middle ages, before the invention of the fork. If you served her vegetable soup she'd just as soon drink it, then pick out the vegetables. Not the most couth person in the world," she confided to Colin, "but she has her good points."

"I'm looking forward to meeting her," Colin said automatically. "Does... do you girls sleep late all the time?"

Nana gave him a 'don't be rude' look, but Naresha wasn't fooled by the vagueness of his question. "It's hard to say. Our sleep habits are a little erratic, but Milda is usually up at a decent hour." She knew she'd been right when she saw a blush creeping up his cheeks. "Milda was right--you ARE cute." She forced back a giggle when the flush deepened.

While Nana scrambled eggs and stirred in cheese, and Colin demolished his pastry, Naresha studied him. *Mmm. Little sister has good taste. That's a yummy one, all right.* He wasn't a muscle-man by any stretch of the imagination, but his slender body looked taut and toned. And despite the length of his hair, there was something old-fashioned about him--something almost courtly. *Yes, he'd suite little Milda very well. That means I have to keep my hands off him, darn it. And it means that Acacia had better keep her hands off him, too, but for a different reason. If Milda gets close to him, and I think she will, given half a chance, she'll never forgive Casey if she hurts him.*

They chatted comfortably for awhile as Colin made his way through a large plate of eggs. Nana had laced them thickly with sharp cheddar, and more than once Colin had to slurp up a long, shiny golden strand. Naresha watched the pursing of his firm lips and the way his tongue nimbly swabbed up butter smears, and began to regret that he was forbidden fruit. But the way he occasionally cast longing glances toward the kitchen door told her exactly where his interest lay. Finally she said, "Well, I want to go out and do a little poking around. I'll take Casey with me, and I'll poke Milda out of bed to help you, Nana."

"That's not necessary. You girls just moved in," she protested.

Colin's eyes *Oh, PRETTY green eyes!* lit up. "Does she like museums? I'm going to go work the lunch crowd in front of the art museum later. I'm a street singer," he explained. "Maybe she'd like to ride down with me and look around while I work? They have a nice exhibition of folk art right now."

"That sounds right up her alley, Col." *She'll probably prefer to sit around and listen to you, but I won't tell you that. No point in giving you a swelled head.*

*****

Milda watched as Colin positioned himself to the side of the steps leading up into the museum, opening his case on the ground before him. He unfolded the little camp stool he'd brought and offered it to her with a little bow, but she shook her head. "No, you need to be comfortable while you play. I'll sit on the steps."

He sat, stringing his guitar around his neck, and began to adjust the strings, strumming a little to listen to the tone. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather go browze inside?"

She shook her head, light sparkling on her hair and her rimless glasses. "I'll have plenty of time for that. I don't think we'll be moving on for awhile."

"I hope not." Colin shyly kept his eyes on his hand as he made the confession. "I mean... it's a real bummer to have to keep moving around. After I left home, it took me weeks to find Nana and settle down."

"Yes, drifting around IS a bummer," she said softly. "I really, really hope we can stay here for awhile. It should be far enough..." He glanced at her, and she trailed off.

*Far enough away from what?* he wondered. He didn't ask. Instead he just said, "Sometimes I wish I could afford an electric guitar, but then I'd need an amp, and a place to plug it in, so I guess accoustic is better, at least for now. Tell you what, the crowd will thin out in about an hour and a half, then we can grab a bite and check out the show inside, huh?"

"I'd like that, but I have to be home before four."

"Why?"

"Because Acacia has to be to work by five."

He blinked. "She doesn't allow you out while she's at work?" Milda was still smiling, but it was if a shutter had come down behind her eyes. Colin didn't like that. One of the most attractive things about Milda was her openness. "Yeah, I guess older sisters can be kind of protective." He strummed a few bars, then started singing. "There is a house in New Orleans, they call the Rising Sun. And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy, and God, I know I'm one..."

He had a pleasant voice that seemed to hover somewhere between tenor and bass, and he sang simply, without a lot of vocal flourishes. Before he'd finished the first chorus a young woman in a business suit had tossed a small handful of change into the case at his feet, offering a small smile in answer to his nod of thanks.

Colin sang steadily: And I Love Her, I Need Your Lovin', I Got You, Babe, Ticket to Ride. The current, popular songs always seemed to bring the most tips, but he interspersed them with old folk songs, like I Gave My Love a Cherry and Barbara Allen. He even did a request (for a dollar), and managed a spirited version of I Want to Hold Your Hand. "It's not that I don't like it," he explained, "It's just that... Well, they can hear that ANYWHERE these days, you know? I like to try to do something a little different when I can."

"Casey would like it," Milda declaired.

"You think so?"

"Sure. She'd have been dancing. It's hard for her to stay still when she hears a good dance tune."

"I'll have to remember to do those when I practise around the house."

Milda cocked her head, smiling at him. "Trying to get on my sister's good side already?"

"Isn't it better to make a good impression on the family? I mean, I can tell how close you girls are and... and since she's sorta protective, I thought... I... I put my foot in my mouth sometimes."

Milda laughed quietly, blue eyes shining. She took his hand, giving it a tiny squeeze, feeling the thick, smooth pads of callusses on his fingertips. "I like you, too."

1965--The Next Day--Revelations I

Colin woke up that next morning with a smile on his face. Oh, yesterday COULD have been better, but not by much. He would have liked to have seen Milda again, but by the time he got back from his afternoon session she was off somewhere.

He had waited up a little while, ostensibly practising in the parlor. When he had heard the front door open he had swung into 'Oh, Pretty Woman'. He had stumbled to a twanging halt, blushing like a fire engine, when Naresha appeared in the door and purred, "Oo, is that for me?"

"Uh... Yes!"

She had laughed, coming in and sitting beside him. "Colin, you don't have to lie to flatter me--I have an excellent opinion of myself already. That was for Milda, wasn't it?"

Colin had smiled sheepishly. "Um... yes."

"Ah, a troubador. How absolutely perfect for Milda."

Colin had given up on trying to be subtle--it just wasn't his nature. "Where is she?"

Naresha had waved her hand vaguely. "Mm, around--somewhere. We don't keep a leash on each
other."

Colin remembered the flare of anxiety that had swept over him. "Aren't you worried about her? This isn't the greatest area in the world for a woman alone to be out at night."

Naresha's smile had softened. "Don't worry, Col. We three are very, very good at taking care of each other, and besides--Acacia is with her. You need not worry when Acacia is on the job."

"But even two women can be a target, and..."

Naresha's silvery laughter had interrupted him. She had patted his hand in an almost condescendingly comforting manner. "My dear, I pity any single thug who thinks that Acacia is an easy mark." Her smile had become almost cruel. "No, I lie. I do NOT pity him. He'll be getting exactly what he deserves." She had stood up. "In case you're thinking of waiting up for Milda--don't. She'll be very, very late." She had started out of the room. At the door she had paused. "And Acacia might not be up to meeting new friends."

He HAD waited up, till almost midnight. Finally he had gone to bed, but had spent another hour lying awake, listening. It was near impossible to move about in this old house without the sound being broadcast to every corner, and he heard nothing but the usual creaks and groans.

But now she should be home, and he wanted to invite her to spend the day with him again. He dressed quickly, wondering if she'd prefer it if he pressed his jeans, and making a note to ask Nana what she thought. The sweet old gal had offered to iron anything, anytime, but, well, with a wardrobe consisting mostly of tee-shirts and jeans, that just wasn't a priority.

Colin was halfway down the stairs when he paused, cocking his head to listen to what was going on in the kitchen. Silence. Even Nana wasn't in there. He eased back up the stairs and considered his next action. Getting his own breakfast would be no problem. Nana did pretty well--there were only a few days lately that she stayed in bed. He'd been living here almost a year, and it had been a lot worse back then. He thought that having someone to take care of helped her stay steady.

He stared at the door to the other bedroom for almost a minute before approaching it. He tapped lightly. There was a low grumbling sound from the other side of the door. He suddenly reconsidered, thinking that it might be too early to bother Milda, but it was too late to back down.

The door swung open, but it wasn't Milda, nor Naresha. He was confronted by a rough approximation of the other girls. Hair that looked like a mixture of Caramel and cream stuck up all over her head. Her eyes were bleary with sleep, but they were a familiar bright blue. Her rather pointy featured face was a little puffy with sleep, but the family resemblance was striking. This had to be Acacia--the eldest.

The girl focused on him, and her expression went from slack to sharp. "WHAT?"

Colin found himself gaping. The girl was dressed in a gauzy set of pink babydoll pajamas, which meant she was about one step up from naked with the sunlight from the half-shaded bedroom window behind her. Milda wore loose, baggy clothes, but if the figure they were hiding was anything like her older sister's...

"I said WHAT? The fucking house better be on fire for you to wake me up this early, and what the hell are you starin' at?"

Colin took a quick step back, looking down quickly. That just gave him a view of shapely, muscular legs, and he had to drop his eyes even more. What he saw made him blink. *Those are the longest toenails I've ever seen, but they look better cared for than most fingernails.* "I'm sorry. I was just wondering if Milda was up."

"Up and gone, her and Naresha both. Now get out of my face." She slammed the door.

Colin winced. *Whoa. Looks like Milda got all the mellow in THAT family.* "Okay. Sorry again."

He started to turn away, but he heard a gusty sigh, and the door opened again. Acacia stood theree, one hand on the door and the other on the curve of one hip. "I'm not a morning person, okay?"

"Sure, I understand. You got to sleep late. I just didn't think..."

"Stop it, you've been abject enough." she raked her eyes over him and said flatly, "You're Colin--Milda's friend. I'm Acacia."

"Yes, you certainly are."

Acacia frowned, then startled him with a bark of laughter. "It's that obvious, is it? My fame preceeds me." She scratched her head, ruffling her short hair even more. The sharp blue eyes narrowed as she studied him further, then she said, "You like Milda, don't you?" Before he could answer she snorted. "Of course you do. She's almost impossible not to like. But the question is..." her tone sharpened, "so you LIKE her?"

Colin wasn't a virgin, but he hadn't had a lot of experience, either. There had been girls that he'd had crushes on and girls that he'd desired, but there was something different about Milda. He hadn't known her much more tha a day, but when he thought about her he just felt a sort of glow. He nodded. "Yes, I like her, like her."

Acacia pursed her lips, then said, "Okay. I'll say this one time. She's my little sister. I love her. If you hurt her, I'll rip your balls off and feed them to you."

Colin took a good look at her eyes, and knew that, while some people might take such a statement as an elaborate threat, it wouldn't be wise to underestimate Acacia Ballard. "Okay. I'm glad Milda has someone like you to take care of her. If you see her before I do, tell her that I'll be working near the duck pond at that park near the town square, okay?" He blushed, mumbling, "If she's interested."

As he went down the stairs Acacia muttered to herself, "Oh, she's interested, all right." She shut the door and turned back to look at the red-haired girl sitting crosslegged on the bed, peering at her over the tops of her spectacles. "Dontcha, sis?"

"I am, and you might have been a little more polite, Casey," she said severly.

Naresha, stretched out behind her, yawned. "Milda, sweet, for Acacia that was positively the epitome of etiquette. She refrained from kneeing him in the balls and didn't lay even one scratch on his face."

Acacia flopped down on the bed beside Milda, laying her head on Naresha's legs. "You wanna spend the day with the guy?"

Milda picked at her skirt. "It's your turn to go out today, Casey."

Acacia poked her in the side. "But you want to, don't you?" Milda dipped her head, her hair falling forward to obscure her face. Acacia kept poking. "Dontch? Dontcha?" She leaned up and drew aside the hair, revealing Milda's shy smile. "Ha! Knew it. Son of a bitch, baby sister's got it bad already." She whistled. "He musta looked pretty good in that towel."

Milda swatted at her. "Stop it, Casey!" She grinned. "From what I saw."

Acacia laughed. "Well, I'd rather see you settled down with a nice girl, but I guess it had to happen sometime. I'll just hang here today--you go ahead."

"You won't mind?"

"Nope. Me and Naresha will just do the sister thing. If he's going to be your fella, you need to spend time with him."

Milda kissed Acacia on the cheek. "Thank you!" she said sincerely.

Anyone peeking in the room would have seen the single occupant, a blonde girl who's expression was more open and cheerful than usual, spring up and begin to dress. The final touch was a long, copper wig that she took out of a dresser drawer, fitting it on carefully. When she was done, Milda Ballard went down to the kitchen to find Colin. When she entered the kitchen he looked up at her with a burst of such honest pleasure that it made her heart feel full.

~~~~~~~~~~

The Ballard sisters had been living with Nana Collins for a little over two weeks. The sisters agreed that, even though they were living much more closely with others than they had since they had left The Hellhole, they felt more secure than they ever had before. Nana never asked questions. Colin did, at first, but he quickly curbed his curiosity when he saw how it disturbed Milda.

It was a quiet evening. Acacia and Nana were in the parlor. Acacia was absorbed in a program, but Nana was dividing her attention between the television and her knitting. Autumn was coming on, and the weather would soon turn cool. She was working on a muffler for Colin, to protect his throat while he sang out of doors.

Acacia kept laughing and making rude noises at the television. "God, that cracks me up!" she chortled. "It is just SO ridiculous!"

Nana watched the pretty blonde woman on the screen talking animatedly to a rather exotic looking dark haired girl. "Yes, modern day witches are a bit far fetched."

"Oh, it's not that. I can deal with the idea of witches easy enough, though I seriously doubt they'd be able to do much by just twitching their noses. No, it's the other one." She pointed. "She's supposed to be a cat turned into a woman, right? A siamese cat?" Acacia blew a raspberry at the screen. "And they had it be just a plain old normal sized cat! I can go for transformation of matter, but not CREATION of matter! Hell, that doll should be no more than about a foot high, looking at the size of puss-puss. If they wanted Julie Newmar to play the catwoman they should have started out with a puma or something."

Nana nodded. "That makes sense."

Acacia straightened in surprise. "It does?"

"Yes, dear. It rather reminds me of Milda's explanation about why my poundcake was messing up because of the sugar substitution. All three of you girls are so bright, in your own ways." Nana knitted a few rows, watching Acacia's face in the flicker of light from the television. "Colin was so disappointed that Milda couldn't come with him to that party tonight."

Acacia shifted. "Well, he'd have been playing most of the time anyway, and, uh... I think Milda's a little sick. She isn't feeling too chipper right now."

"Oh, that's too bad!" Nana started to lay aside her knitting. "I ought to go up and check on her."

"No," Acacia said quickly. "Naresha is with her. She'll let us know if Mildy needs anything."

"Mm." She worked a little longer. Finally she said, "Acacia, have you ever wondered how I support myself?"

Acacia said slowly, "It's not a very polite thing to mention, but yeah, I've been curious." She half smiled. "Must be the cat in me. I don't know how much Colin pays you, but it can't be much. You sure couldn't perk along for long on that and what we give you." She cocked her head. "I thought maybe you had, like, a trust fund, or something."

"No, dear. All the money my parents left was eaten up rather quickly." Her eyes met Acacia's. "Hospital bills."

Acacia's voice was soft. "You sick, Nana?"

"No, dear, not really." She shrugged, "I don't think so, anyway. There were problems when I was younger."

"What kind of problems?"

"Nothing I ever thought was too very bad. I never hurt anyone, or anything." Her eyes grew thoughtful. "I didn't like this house then. My parents didn't get along." She shook her head. "I mean they REALLY didn't get along. Father used to hit Mother. Oh, never where it showed. He slipped once and blacked her eye. She couldn't go out for two solid weeks. He never hit me, except that one time I tried to get between them."

Nana calmly tied off the cream colored yarn she'd been working with, and knotted in the end strand from a ball of Hunter Green. "This should look wonderful on Colin, don't you think? It will bring out his eyes." She resumed her knitting. "I think what started my problems was when they found out that I was climbing out into that big tree that you girls use sometimes. But I'd go up instead of down to the ground, and I'd spend the night on the roof. I did it to get away from their yelling. They didn't like that. Of course they couldn't be bothered to stop fighting, and Father didn't want to cut down the tree because it would damage the property value, so they just put bars on my window."

She heard Acacia's soft swear, and smiled. "They told the neighbors that it was an ornamental screen, but everyone knew, of course. If you look on the outside of that window, you can still see the holes in the sideing where the bars were attached. So, word got around that I was 'odd'. You know, if you tell someone often enough that they're a certain way, sometimes they come to believe it? The neighbors started telling their children not to play with me, because I was peculiar. By then I didn't mind, because I didn't play with them, THEY played with me. It's really amazing the number of cruel things children and young people can say and do. I tried to commit suicide the first time when I was twelve."

She held out her hand, and Acacia saw the scars across her wrist--thin, pale streaks, several of them. "It took two more tries before they had me committed. I was in a 'private nursing facility for almost twenty years. I got to come home some weekends, so my parents could keep up the illusion that I was delicate, and had to live in a sort of managed care home." She sighed. "That stopped the last eight years, when they realized that I'd hurt myself after I came back."

She knitted. "They kept fighting. They never divorced. Father died when I was thirty-seven, and Mother couldn't afford to pay my keep, so they sent me back. When she died, I..." Nana smiled gently. "Well, I didn't tell anyone for over a month. The mailman finally reported the smell. Goodness, what a fuss! You'd have thought I killed the woman." She frowned. "If I remember correctly, one of the policemen DID think I'd killed her, but the autopsy showed she'd died of natural causes. When they asked why I hadn't told anyone when she died, I just laughed, and laughed." She paused. "And laughed, and laughed, and laughed. Till they gave me a seditive." She shrugged. "The doctor said I could do all right, if I took my medication, but I couldn't work, so every month the government gives me a little check, and I get my medicine for free. It isn't enough, of course, so I take in borders. Actually, dear, if you girls and Colin paid me any more, I think they'd cut my check, so this works out well."

Acacia grunted, eyeing Nana. "Well, I've known a lot of so called 'normal' people in my life, and believe me, you strike me as better adjusted than most of them."

"Thank you, dear." Eyes still on her work Nana said, "Acacia, do you or the other girls ever go to the movies?"

The abrupt change of subject didn't seem to bother Acacia. "Sometimes. Milda loves the cartoons, Naresha likes those foreign films with subtitles, and I like horror."

"I've just been thinking about a drama, but I don't suppose you would have seen it. It came out, oh, eight years ago, and you would have been just a little girl then. I doubt your parents would have taken you to see anything so mature."

Acacia's voice was flat, "Yeah, but only because The Bastard believed in home education."

*History there, but maybe she'll feel like she can talk about it later.* "This starred Joanne Woodward. Lovely woman, and such a fine actress. She won the best actress Oscar for her performance, I think. It was called The Three Faces of Eve."

"Yeah? It wasn't a horror movie, was it? Three faces?"

"No, it was a psychological drama. It was about a woman who suffered from something called multiple personalities."

Acacia went very still, watching Nana with shrewd eyes. "Yeah?"

"Yes. The poor woman had a traumatic emotional incident when she was a child, and her personality just split. It was like two different people in one body."

"Interesting. Pretty weird chick, huh?"

"No, not really. She was very confused by her situation, and it made a lot of trouble in her life. You know, I can't help but think that there might be some people who had that same condition who just... just got on with their lives."

"Yeah. It could have its advantages." She was quiet for a moment. "Nana, you know, I bet Milda would really like a cup of tea. Want to take one up to her, with me?"

"I think that would be wonderful, dear."

Nana brewed the tea, then followed Acacia up the stairs to the sisters' room. Acacia knocked on the door softly and called. "Nar? Mildy? I'm bringing Nana in with some tea." She hesitated, studying Nana. There was a wary hope in her eyes. "I think we need to talk to her."



1965--Confession

Nana had half expected the room to be empty. She had thought that there was a slim chance that there might be ONE other girl there, that perhaps she had a couple of very confused twins on her hands, but there was no one. *Like the lady in the movie,* she thought. *Three people in one body.*

Acacia moved toward the bed, eyes fixed on a space a couple of feet above the mattress. "Nana's been telling me about this movie about a woman who was really three people."

She sat on the bed, falling back into a languid, half reclining pose. Her expression shifted, elegant brows arching, and drawled, "I've heard of that. What was it--All About Eve?"

Nana felt a clenching sensation in her belly, and recognized it as excitement rather than fear. "No, Naresha, that was the theater story with Bette Davis." At her use of the middle sister's name, the girl on the bed sat up, casting a quick, curious glance to either side. *She's looking at her sisters. She's surprised that I 'see' her.*

Naresha said slowly, "Nana... do you see me?"

"I see Acacia, dear, but I know it's you." She smiled. "You couldn't be anyone else. Just because a person can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there." She made a calculation, then held out the cup of tea toward a space to Naresha's right. "Milda, do you really need this tea, or was Casey just trying to keep me from prying?"

The girl on the bed shifted again, her shoulders rounding slightly, the wrinkles on her brow smoothing. She reached for the cup and, in Milda's soft voice, said, "I could use it right now."

As she sipped, Nana sat on the bed, near the foot in order to avoid 'sitting' on anyone. "So, people only see one of you at a time, but you're all three here all the time? That's different from the Eve in the movie."

Milda shrugged, setting aside the cup. "Different circumstances produce different results, Nana. You know that from baking." She pulled her legs up on the bed, curling them under her.

"Will you tell me about your circumstances?" The girl was silent, studying her. Nana could sense several people looking at her through that one pair of blue eyes--eyes that were so much older than they should be.

Then the girl's eyes seemed to unfocus slightly, and she began to speak. The tones and cadences shifted from moment to moment, and for the first time Nana heard the three sisters talking among themselves.

Naresha frowned. "I don't know about doing our dirty laundry in public. After all, no one's ever given a flying fuck before. No offense, Nana."

"None taken, dear."

Acacia was back. "She's different. She's had her share of troubles, too. She spent time in one of those bins, like Lacey. She tried to kill herself..."

Milda moaned, "Oh, Nana!" Her voice was sorrowful.

"It's all right, Milda." Nana patted her knee. "I'm fine as long as I take my medicine and keep busy. I have the impression that there are people who might be looking for you girls, and I want to assure you that they'll get no help from me."

Naresha shook her head. "You say that now, darling, but you don't know who we are or what we've done." She paused. "There's a good chance the police are looking for us. Would you be willing to harbor fugitives?"

"In a minute," she said placidly. At the surprised look she explained, "I have little fondness for the authorities. The neighbors called them to our house more than once when my father beat my mother to the point of screaming. All they ever did was make him walk around the block to cool down."

The girl snorted and Acacia said, "Sounds about right. I say we tell her. I'm getting sick of carrying this around. SOMEONE has to know exactly what The Bastard is capable of."

She nodded her head, and Milda spoke. "I agree, but let's keep it simple. Just one of us tell her."

There was a nod and Naresha said, "All right, I'm in for it, too. But you tell her, Casey. Milda wasn't there, and I..." She scratched restlessly at the sheet, "I'm not as cool about it as I thought I was. And let's agree to leave our, uh, monthly problems out for the time being. This is going to be hard enough for her to absorb as it is."

Acacia cleared her throat. "Okay." She paused. "Shit, I don't know where to start."

"Begin at the beginning, dear," Nana urged. "First there was you, then I suppose Naresha, then..."

Acacia smiled. "Nope." She made her voice resonant, almost biblical. "In the beginning there was Kitten. There was Kitten, and Daddy, and Mommy, and Daddy and Kitten were very happy. Mommy wasn't, but as we learn later, Mommy was a 14 carat, gold plated bitch." Acacia's body tensed. "Then something very, very bad happened to Daddy..."

Acacia talked for a long time. Nana heard it all. She heard about Daddy dying practically in Kitten's arms, apparently mauled by a pack of wild dogs. She heard about the trip to the dirty, cold city, and how Kitten became Kathleen, because Mommy just was NOT going to have a child with such a ridiculous name. She heard about the that job Mommy took, and the men Mommy brought home--especially one PARTICULAR man, one who said he wanted a little girl just like Kathleen.

She heard about the wedding, and poor, sick Lacey, who had succeeded where Nana had failed. She heard about the magnificent house and how it had become The Hell Hole. She heard about how Wallace Bernard and Margaret had transformed into The Bastard and The Bitch. She heard about the beautiful clothes The Bastard had bought for Kathleen, and how he had loved to strip them off her. She heard about the baths, the 'pony rides', 'wrestling', and the game of hide and seek he had played with her the first time they'd been alone in The Hell Hole--and what had happened when he had found her.

"He left her alone for almost two weeks after that first time. She thought it was over, but he was just letting her heal up so The Bitch wouldn't suspect." Acacia snorted. "He could've sodomized her in the next room, with the door open, and she would've found some way to be deaf and blind."

Nana was near tears. "Oh, no! Surely she didn't know! No mother could let their child be subjected to that and... and not castrate the animal."

Then Acacia told her about the ripped dress, and how Kathleen could see the truth of the matter in her mother's eyes, and felt that she was completely alone. "But she wasn't--not any more. She needed help, and I was finally strong enough to do something. It wasn't much. I only managed to slip out of the fog for a second, but I used the time." Her grin was pointed, and her eyes glinted. "I think that was the first time The Bastard was ever kneed in the crotch, but it wasn't the last."

"Good for you, dear. Since you were in the bathroom, it's too bad you couldn't have gotten hold of a razor." The three sisters looked at each other, then looked at Nana. "Well, the world would be much better off it you'd neutered the scum."

Acacia grinned. "I knew there was a reason I liked you, and it WOULD have taken castration to stop him from messing with Kathleen. But I was too weak and slow back then to kill him, and by the time I got older and stronger Naresha was there, and reminded me what they did to murderers." She cocked her head. "They had the death penalty in our state. Real sensible, actually, but nothin' I'd want to experience just for protecting myself and my sister."

"I'll take over, darling," Naresha drawled. "I want to tell her how easy it was to flimflam that sucker at the records office." Nana listened with murmurs of admiration as Naresha described how they had planned and prepared for their escape. Her her expression became even harder as she heard of how Naresha had felt compelled to play up to The Bastard to lull him into complacency. "But it didn't happen like we'd planned it."

"I think it was better," Acacia said firmly. "We gave him a little back for all the pain he'd dished out over the years." She smiled at Nana. "Glass lamp over the head--HEAVY glass lamp. The only reason I'd ever like to lay eyes on him is that I'd kind of like to see if I marked him up."

Naresha told of their triumph as they escaped, the steps they took to conceal their identity ("We both liked the haircut, but Acacia didn't like the dye job. I loved it. I could finally show my true self to the world.)

"So we moved on. We decided that the first year or two we wouldn't stay anywhere very long, but motels are expensive, and rooming house owners were suspicious." She gave a mock pout. "For some reason they didn't trust Acacia or myself. We were lucky that Milda came out then."

Milda gave Nana a sheepish smile. "I'm sort of the Trojan Horse. I'd get inside, and before they knew it they were stuck with all of us." Her expression grew sad, "But we always had to move on. They'd start to suspect there was more than one of us living in the room. Or someone would start asking question. Or..." her face paled, "there were the posters."

Nana looked worried and sympathetic. "The police are looking for you?"

Naresha examined her nails. "Not any more than any other runaway. We have a strong suspicion that The Bastard claimed his cuts and bruises as an accident." The skin seemed to tighten across her cheekbones, and she flexed her fingers. Nana's eyes widened. It looked as if her nails had grown for a split second, the receeded. "He's been looking for us, though, I'm sure. He doesn't deny himself anything, and he wants his toy back."

"When did this happen, dear?"

"Two and a half years ago. We'll be eighteen next year, and he won't be able to do anything to us legally."

Nana sighed. "All that time, shifting from place to place, rootless. It must have been hard for you all."

Acacia shrugged uncomfortably. "Naresha and I do all right." Her voice softened. "It's Milda that it's been hard on. She was made to make a home."

Nana gazed at the girl sitting on the bed, the girl with the short blonde streaked hair. She blinked, and a pale girl with shiny black, dutch-doll style hair lounged languidly on the bed. Another blink and a gentle eyed red-head was watching her. *Dear. Usually if something like this happened, I'd figure I needed my medicine adjusted. But with these three...* she nodded to herself. *Yes. Three.*

She said slowly, "Girls, I hope you don't feel that you need to leave, now that I know. I WANT you all to stay."

Milda said quietly, "That's so good of you, Nana, but it could mean trouble for you, you know. The Bastard wouldn't be above using coersion on someone he thought was helping us."

Nana waved a hand. "As if I I'm afraid of that filth. He's nothing but a bully and a coward, taking advantage of a child placed in his care. No, dear ones, you stay here with me. I will cheerfully tell anyone who asks a story that would make Pinochio's nose sprout twigs. I can tell them that you're my neices, down from Canada."

Milda looked puzzled. "But you don't HAVE any neices. You don't even have any brothers or sisters."

"Yes, but no one around here knows that." She snorted. "It would be too much trouble for my neighbors to actually get to know me." She took Milda's hands. "Please." After a moment's hesitation, she looked to either side of Milda, addressing the other two sisters as if they were as solid and visible as the third. "I never had children of my own, and you three have become very dear to me."

They heard the front door open and close. A moment later quick footsteps mounted the stairs, and there was the sweet sound of a man whistling a folk tune. Nana patted Milda's hand. "And I'm not the only one who'd be sad if you went away."

Milda gazed longingly at the door, then looked pleadingly at her sisters. Acacia looked at Naresha. Naresha shrugged. "I like it here," she admitted.

Acacia nodded. "It suits me, too." She grinned at Nana. "I didn't know it was possible for someone your age to be so cool."

Nana laughed. "Well, thank you! So it's settled?"

All three sisters discussed the major decisions in their life, but Acacia was senior, and the survival expert, so she spoke. "Yeah, it's settled. We'll stay as long as we can, Nana. Hopefully we can stay under the radar for another six or seven months, and then it won't matter. We won't have to run anymore.

Footsteps came back down the hall and paused outside the door. There was a rap, and Colin called softly, "Milda?"

Nana watched a shining smile spread over the girl's face. "Just a minute, Colin." She went to the dresser and removed a red wig and pair of glasses from a drawer, donning them.

Acacia had disappeared, and Milda was in her place. She came and gave Nana a hug, then went and opened the door. Nana could see past her to where Colin waited in the hall. A smile almost identical to the one Milda wore lighted his face, and he reached for her hand. "They're having a crafts fair at the park. Want to go?"

"I'd love to." She threw a happy glance back at Nana. "We'll try not to be too late, Nana, and don't worry about me--Colin will take care of me."

When they were gone, Nana looked around the empty room, half expecting to see Naresha or Acacia smiling back at her. "Yes, dear, I know he will, and so will I. You don't have to do it all by yourself now."



Part 20
1965, three months later--Bonding

To the uninformed eye there were two women sitting at the kitchen table, but Nana knew very well that there were actually four--it was just that two of them were invisible to everyone but the girl with the long, coppery hair.

Acacia leaned her elbow on the table, resting her chin in her hand. "You boinked him yet?"

"CASEY!" Nana scolded.

Acacia looked at her with totally unrepentant eyes, cracking her gum. "We learned the facts of life a long time ago, Nana. She won't drop dead of shock."

"Well, there's a little thing called tact that you ought to look into someday, dear." She watched as Acacia's expression changed, softening and smoothing, and Nana knew who would speak next. She was getting good at telling who was in control at any given moment.

"She doesn't bother me, Nana," said Milda, with a quiet smile. She hugged Acacia, and the gesture was so natural that Nana could almost sense a solid, living form in the empty circle of Milda's arms. "She's just getting ready to give me big sister advice."

"Nah," Acacia's nasal tone was back. "If I was gonna do that, I'd tell you do drop him and find yourself a nice girl. But," she said grudgingly, "he's not bad for a guy, I guess. You could definitely do worse. So..." she grinned, "ya boink him yet?"

"No." Milda looked down, smiling shyly as she smoothed her long skirt. "We've, um, we've kissed, and cuddled, and... and..." Color was mounting in her cheeks.

"And? And?" Acacia dipped her head to teasingly peer up into Milda's eyes.

"Well, he's... uh... I..."

Naresha's amused drawl issued from Milda's mouth. "Little sister has gotten a bit of practice at giving hand jobs, I think."

Acacia grunted. "Who's idea was that?"

Milda looked up, her expression as close to defiant as it ever got. "Mine. He didn't ask. It's just that I could tell he was really, really excited," her forehead wrinkled. "He smells different when he's excited." She smiled again. "It's nice. We were lying down, cuddling, and I could feel him against my leg, you know? All warm and firm. So I reached down and touched him." She gave the other women a round-eyed look. "Ooo, what a noise he made!"

Nana put her hand over her mouth to stifle her giggle, but Naresha and Acacia didn't bother. Finally Narisha managed to choke out, "Oh, so you've got yourself a moaner, have you? They can be a lot of fun."

"He kept telling me I didn't HAVE to do it while I was getting his pants pushed down. I finally asked him if he was telling me that because he didn't WANT me to do anything, and he said he only wanted me to do what I wanted to, and I said good, because I wanted to do this." She shook her head. "Are all men that slow?"

"No, darling," Naresha assured her. "Most of them happily leap for any opportunity you offer." She stroked her sister's hair. "But you ARE planning on sleeping with him, aren't you?"

Milda covered Naresha's hand with her own and said gently, "I plan on making love with him." Naresha nodded slowly. She knew that there was a real difference for Milda.

Acacia sighed gustily. "Okay. You'll find some protection in the night stand." Her expression firmed. "You don't let him in without one, toots. We probably can't get preggers, but there's no point in risking it, and besides..." she wrinkled her nose, "you don't know where he's been."

Now it was Milda who snapped, "CASEY!"

"I'm joking, I'm joking!" She pointed at her face. "See this? This is my 'I'm shitting you' face."

Colin entered the kitchen, his eyes going immediately to Milda, his smile shining. Then he glanced around, and his smile faded a little in puzzlement. "Hi, Nana, Milda. I thought I heard the other girls in here."

"They went out the back just before you came in, dear," said Nana placidly. Milda's eyes tracked across the room to the door leading to the hall, and Nana knew that she was watching her sisters quietly sneak past Colin. Nana was becoming so familiar with the different personalities that she could tell how each would act in a given situation. Judging from her small smile and headshake, one of them had done something teasing. Acacia or Naresha must've made kissing motions at him, or pretended to fan themselves over the 'hot stuff'.

"Oh. You know, one of these days I'm going to get all of you together and take you out. Acacia and Naresha could bring their boyfriends and it could be like a group date." He was getting a drink of water, and missed the look that Milda and Nana exchanged.

"Well, there's cold chicken in the refrigerator for your supper. You two young people will just have to find some way to amuse yourself this evening." Nana got up and took her purse from the counter. "There's a movie at the Lakelands that I'm dying to see."

"Really? We could go with you," said Colin, setting his glass in the sink. "What are you going to see?"

"I won't know till I see what's playing, and if you want to take your girl to a movie with an old lady when you can have the entire evening to yourself in an empty house, then young men have certainly changed." She walked out as Colin gaped after her, and Milda chuckled.

He gave the girl a sheepish grin. "I think she's onto us."

Milda got up and hugged Colin, standing on tiptoe to press a soft kiss to his mouth. "They're ALL onto us."

He sighed. "I'm that easy to read?"

"Like a large print book, viewed through a magnifying glass, and I love you for it." He grinned at her, leaning down to press his forehead to hers. She gazed into his eyes and murmured, "You have the prettiest eyes. They're green, but there's some gold in there, too."

"They sort of change, depending on what I'm wearing. Mom used to say that I have cat eyes."

"I knew there was some reason I loved you."

Colin's hands were sliding up and down Milda's back. He whispered, "There are so MANY reasons I love YOU."

She cocked her head. "How hungry are you?"

He blinked at the non-sequiter. "A little. I'm not ravenous, or anything."

"Good. We can eat after."

"After what?" She cocked her head, lifting her eyebrows. With that expression on her face, her resemblance to her sisters was even more evident, and it was impossible to mistake her meaning. Colin could feel himself blushing. "Oh." His expression softened. "Oh, honey. Are..."

She laid her fingers against his lips, hushing him. "Colin, don't ask me if I'm sure. I wouldn't be offering if I wasn't sure." She stroked his cheek. "Colin, you're a good, sweet, gentle man, and I love you. I want you to be the first man I make love to." She bent her head, letting the hair fall forward to shield her face. "What we've done together... that's all there's been. Do you believe me?"

Colin pressed his face against the top of her head, nuzzling her hair. "Yes, of course I do. But it wouldn't make any different, Milda. I'm in love with who you are, not what you've done."

"Then take me upstairs, Colin. Please."

He moved back a step and took her hand. They stared at each other for a long moment, then Colin led her out of the kitchen, down the hall, and up the stairs. In the upper hallway Milda stopped him by tugging on his hand just outside her bedroom door. "Colin, do you have any protection?"

He hesitated. "Are you going to be mad at me if I say yes?"

"Why would I?"

"Well, some girls might think it was kind of presumptuous."

"I think it's considerate." She stepped past him, and now she was leading the way to his room.

In the room Colin pushed the door shut. Not releasing his hand, Milda moved into his arms, laying her cheek on his shoulder. Colin held her tightly and said wonderingly, "God, you really trust me, don't you?"

"Yes."

Colin was going to say something else. Later he couldn't remember what it was, but he really WAS going to say something, but that was when Milda started unbuttoning his shirt. She leaned down and kissed the hollow above the notch of his collarbone.

They undressed each other slowly, with long pauses to explore what was revealed. Colin found out that Milda's body was just as good as he'd imagined it might be, after seeing Acacia in her baby dolls. She was soft, rounded, with a long waist, and surprisingly muscular legs. Later those firm thighs would clamp him tight, but at first they trembled gently as he parted them and lowered his head to taste the delicate, slick folds hidden by her sandy blonde pubic hair.

Colin was glad that Nana and the other sisters had left the house, because Milda proved to be a vocal lover. Even before he mounted her she was moaning and crying out, her body moving sinuously beneath his mouth and hands. When he went to enter her he was trembling with need, desire, and apprehension, so afraid that he would hurt her. She had reached up, cupped his buttocks, and pulled him to her, her head going back, eyes squeezing shut as he slid inside her.

They made long, slow love. Colin couldn't get enough of her, kissing her deeply as he thrust into the liquid heat of welcoming flesh. Soon she was shuddering and mewling under him, and he could feel her internal muscles rippling, milking at him, and, astonishingly, he didn't come. He didn't climax till the second time she groaned and thrust up at him, her sharp nails sinking into his back, her slitted blue eyes wondering.

When they were done he stripped off the gummy, sagging condom, wrapped it in a tissue, and dropped it in his wastebasket, then lay back beside her. She curled against his side, and he took her in his arms. She murmured softly, "I didn't bleed."

"I'm glad."

They lay for a while, not speaking, but comfortable in their silence. After a while Milda said, "Well, I don't know about you, but I worked up an appetite."

Colin laughed. "That's usually the guy's line. Okay, let's go raid the fridge."

"Beat ya down."

Milda hopped out of the bed and wiggled into her dress while Colin was groping for his pants. As she started for the door he said, "Hey, your underwear!" She snatched them up, tossed them at him with an impish grin, and darted out.

Colin's deep, warm laughter followed her as she scampered down the upper hallway. *If I hurry, I can have things set out by the time he's down.* When she was halfway down the stairs she heard the doorbell chime, and hesitated. *That can't be Nana or the girls--they HAVE keys. It's after dark. Who would be coming by now?* She descended more slowly.

She'd just reached the door when Colin came out of his bedroom, his hair brushing his bare shoulders as he zipped his fly. "Wait a minute, Milda! Don't open that door."

"I'll check first." She stood on tiptoe and tried to peer through the spyglass, but all she could make out was a vaguely human figure. She winced back as whoever was on the outside pounded impatiently on the door.

Colin reached her, saying, "That thing's no use. Wait." He flipped on the porch light, then fastened the security chain. He glanced at Milda and said, "Step back behind me, babe, okay?" Smiling at his protectiveness, Milda took a step back.

Colin opened the door a few inches, peering through the slit. Milda watched as his normally gentle expression stiffened in distaste and annoyance. "What do you want, Bailey?"

A rough voice replied, "Nice to see you, too, Whitcomb. You gonna make me stand out on the porch all night?"

"Yes, I am. I'll ask you again--what do you want?"

"You can see the suitcase. I want to come back to the fold."

"I thought maybe you were here to pay Nana the back rent you owed. Or maybe return that television you stole, or possibly apologize for hocking my guitar."

Milda couldn't overcome her curious nature for long, and she edged closer to the far wall, peeking around Colin to get a glimpse of the man on the porch. She couldn't make out much--short black hair, a blocky build, narrow, muddy brown eyes set in a broad, square face. The man was leaning close to the slit, trying to peer past Colin, and his eyes fastened on Milda. "Well! Looks like the quality of old lady Collins' boarders is improving. Hey, cutie. Whose little girl are you?" The man's gaze raked over her, and Milda's skin crawled. It was as if he were reaching past Colin and lifting her skirt.

Colin's voice, usually so mellow, was hard. "She's MY girl, Bailey, so just keep your mind out of the gutter."

"Sure, sure, I get the idea--private property, keep off. Seriously, though, I'm sorry about leaving under such a cloud. There were circumstances you didn't know about. Let me come in and I'll explain everything. I know I can talk the old doll into taking me back."

"She wouldn't, not even if the room was still free. I know you think she's stupid--hell, you think EVERYONE is stupid. But she's not. Go away, Bailey."

"Look, Whitcomb," his voice had lost any pretense of good will, "I need a place to crash. Open the fucking door."

"Go hang with your biker buddies, Bailey." Colin shut the door, relocking it.

There was an immediate pounding on the door, so heavy that Milda knew the man had to be using his feet as well as his fists. "I mean it!" Colin yelled. "Get the hell out of here or I'm calling the fuzz."

"Fuck you, Whitcomb." The voice was a snarl. "You're gonna wish you hadn't pissed me off. Oh, and Whitcomb," there was a dirty snicker, "you better keep your little girlfriend off the street at night. I mean, everyone knows that those hippie chicks put out to anyone with a dick, but some guys out there don't even bother to ask."

Colin, white faced, was reaching for the chain when Milda grabbed his arm. "Col, no! He WANTS you to open the door, remember? Don't let him goad you."

"Yeah, listen to the girlie, Col," Bailey said mockingly. There was another snigger, and Milda could feel Colin trembling. She stroked his back soothingly, and a moment later they heard footsteps retreat across the porch, then down the steps.

Colin sighed gustily. "I'm sorry, babe. I'm not usually like that."

"I know. C'mon, I think Naresha has some wine in the fridge. I think we could both use a drink."

In the kitchen Milda poured two glasses of wine and settled Colin at the table with one, then quickly fixed two plates of food. She waited till he'd finished one glass of wine and was visibly more relaxed before she voiced her curiosity. "Who was that, Col? I mean, I got that his name was Bailey and he used to live here, and he probably wasn't the best boarder in the world."

"Boy, THERE'S an understatement." Colin poured himself another glass of wine and took a gulp. "Yeah, I guess you ought to know about him, just so you'll know to be careful. His name is Carl Bailey. He moved in here just after I did, about a year ago. He told Nana he was a mechanic, and he DOES do some work on motorcycles, but mostly he just hangs out with biker clubs. He's a hanger-on, he doesn't belong to any of them." Colin snorted. "I have my own opinions about how he makes his money."

"Drugs?"

Colin nodded. "Part of it. He's not a big time pusher or anything. I think he just unloads some pot or pills when he can get hold of them. I think he probably gets most of his scratch from burglary, or maybe plain, old-fashioned mugging or robbery. He sure wasn't shy about appropriating any little old thing that took his fancy when he was here. You heard what I said about my guitar?" Milda nodded. "My GUITAR, Milda. I mean, it would be bad enough if it was just how I made my living, but my parents gave me that guitar when I was twelve. I thought it had just been stolen, till I saw it in a pawnshop window. I recognized it, and my name is on the back of the neck. I had to buy it out, cause I couldn't prove ownership. He just said that he'd had an emergency and needed some cash, and he intended to pay me back." He shook his head. "He couldn't have gotten more than fifteen dollars for it, Milda. He's just like that, you know? Out for anything he can get, no matter how trivial it is, or how bad it will hurt someone else."

Colin sighed, running a hand through his hair. "He was here for six months. Nana gave him more chances than he deserved. I think he only paid rent for about a third of the time he was here. Then one day he was just gone, along with his things and Nana's television set. Now," Colin scowled, "now he's back. God, it's hard to credit the man's nerve." Colin looked at Milda seriously, "Look, I really, REALLY don't like the idea of him coming back around here. I know that you and the other girls are pretty cautious, but please, be careful. Remember to keep the doors and windows locked, and try not to go out at night. If you do, take Naresha or Acacia with you, huh? He's kind of a coward--I don't think he'll mess with two at once."

Milda nodded. "I'll be sure to tell Naresha and Milda." She sighed, sitting back to sip her wine. "Though if I know Acacia, she might actually LIKE to run into him, but not for any pleasant reason."



Part 21
1965--Coming Out

The next evening Milda watched as the thin, silver crochet hook flashed around and through the net of fine white thread, hooking it into a delicate web. She shook her head. "Nana, you're amazing. Is there anything having to do with handicraft that you CAN'T do?"

"Oh, I only work with the textiles, dear--knitting, needlepoint, tatting, sewing--that sort of thing. I'm completely hopeless at things like decoupage," said the older woman calmly. "Luckily there's a fairly good market for these sort of things, even if they don't pay much for them. There are a couple of stores that will take all that I can make on doilies and handmade socks and sweaters and such." She smiled. "I think that they claim that they're imported from Ireland, or some such." She quickly worked another round on the doily she was making, then said quietly, "Are you going to tell me what's troubling you?"

Milda sighed. "Should I ask how you know that something is wrong?"

Nana shrugged. "I've gotten used to you, dear. You're an easygoing little thing, and when you're troubled--it shows. There's no trouble with you and Colin, is there? He was very quiet this morning, too."

"Oh, no! No." She smiled. "Things are wonderful with us."

"I'm glad to hear it. You're both just as sweet as you can be. You deserve each other. But that doesn't answer my question, does it? What's wrong?"

"Someone came to the house while you were gone last night--a man named Carl Bailey." She wrinkled her nose. "He doesn't seem like a very nice man. He made my skin feel crawly."

"He ISN'T very nice, dear. I'm not at all surprised he made your skin creep. What did he want?"

"He wanted to come back to live here. Collin told me he's a bad guy. He basically told the guy to get stuffed."

Nana laughed. "I like that boy more and more all the time. Though maybe he shouldn't have added the stuffed part. Carl is a far from tolerant man." There was a chorus of peeping mews from the cabinet under the sink. "Milda, check on the kittens and see what's bothering them."

Milda squatted, peering into the little cave-like space. "They're missing their mama. Where's Lulu?"

"She's not there?" Nana frowned. "I know I saw her hanging about when I took the trash out a little while ago."

"She won't have gone far. She's a good mother. Did you remember to latch the door?" Milda checked, then rubbed her nose. "Colin said to be careful about locking the door after us, and to not go around alone for awhile."

"Colin is a wise young man. That's good advice. I really should have had the law down on that Bailey character, but... Well, me and the law..."

Milda nodded. Nana had little use for the police. She'd been labeled an 'eccentric' a long time ago, and every local policeman watched her like they expected her to either strip down in public, or spirit away some child to bake into gingerbread. She said slowly, "I talked it over with Acacia and Naresha. We were thinking that they might give up a day or so each at work, so that they could be around at night till we're sure that that Bailey has moved on."

"I don't think that will be necessary, dear. And beside, you girls need your income. Not that I'm worried personally," she said hastily. "You know very well that if you girls ever need to take a little time on the rent, there's no problem, but I know you're trying to save up a little nest egg, and..."

"Don't worry about it, Nana." Milda went over and stirred a large pot on the stove, sniffing the contents. "Mmm, I think this stew is going to turn out excellent. The meat is going to be very tender, even if it WAS a cheap cut."

"It should--you've been simmering it since noon. Will Colin be back soon?"

"He should--it's already dark out."

There was a plaintive meow outside the kitchen door. Milda frowned. "She must've slipped out when you took out the trash. I guess she's been getting antsy from being cooped up." There was another meow, this one more high-pitched, almost frantic. "Oh, dear! All right, kitty."

As the girl was reaching for the latch, Nana said, "Wait, dear! Colin will be home in a minute, and we can..." The cat suddenly screamed, and Milda scrabbled at the lock. "Wait!"

It was too late. The concerned girl was jerking the door open, calling, "Lulu! Here, kitty..." A speckled bundle of fur streaked past her feet, hissing and spitting. "Lulu! What..." Milda was suddenly knocked back, stumbling, as the door was violently thrust in. Carl Bailey stepped in, moving very quickly for such a bulky man, and slammed the door shut behind him. "Hey! You're not welcome here," said Milda indignantly.

"No shit," said Carl. "This is the most damn inhospitable household I've ever run into, keepin' me standin' on the front porch last night. Your mama didn't treat you right, darlin'." He grinned at Nana, who'd frozen, glaring at him. "Hey, Nana. I'm home."

"You call me Miz Collins, Carl Bailey, and this is NOT your home--it never was. It was just somewhere for you to hole up and steal whenever you were too lazy to go break into somewhere," she said acidly.

Carl was still smiling, but it was cold. "And you ain't gotten any more pleasant, either, have you?"

Milda was peering under the sink. "What did you do to Lulu? She's holding her paw funny. She turned angry eyes on him. "Did you hurt her?" she asked accusingly.

"Had to get you to open the door somehow, didn't I? I figured if you wouldn't let me in, you'd do it for the fur ball." He was staring at Milda. "You're kinda pretty. I bet you have a nice body under those big ass rags. You need a man to dress you right."

"I HAVE a man," she said stiffly. "And he has enough sense not to try to dictate to me."

"Yeah, Whitcomb's a simp, all right."

"We're not going to stand here and have a conversation," Nana snapped. "Get out."

"Aw, you don't want me. I'm wounded," he said sarcastically. "I'll be happy to leave. You just hand over the money from that check I know you cashed today and I'll be on my way." The two women gaped at him. "Don't play stupid, you old broad. I know when your welfare check comes, and you always cash it, regular as clockwork, so let's have it." He looked at Milda. "And I'll have whatever cash YOU have laying around, too, girly."

Milda was trembling with outrage. "You can just get out of here, right now!" She reached for the phone. "I'm calling the police."

He smirked, and backhanded her, almost casually, then jerked the phone cord out of the wall. "None of that nonsense."

Milda held a hand to her mouth. When she looked down, her fingers were smeared with blood. Her eyes glazed for a moment, and she whispered, "Casey... please..."

Nana jumped to her feet, her handwork falling unnoticed to the floor. "DON'T YOU TOUCH THAT GIRL!"

He sighed. "I guess you bitches are gonna make things difficult." He reached into his pocket. There was a snapping sound, and a long, bright knife gleamed in his hand. "Now," he lifted it, pointing it at Milda's face. "Are you two going to be sensible, or do I have to carve my initials in your face?"

"If you hurt her, you won't get a cent," said Nana firmly. "You never COULD find my hiding place, Bailey, and you know it."

"Don't you give him anything!" Carl didn't recognize the difference in the voice, but Nana did. It had gone hard. The outward appearance might be Milda, but it was Acacia who now occupied the body. "That's your money. Besides," her eyes narrowed, "if he thinks you're weak, he'll keep coming back. His kind feeds on the vulnerable." The girl bared small, sharp teeth in an expression that was at odds with her usual gentleness. "We know his kind."

"We?" He laughed. "What are you--a fuckin' nurse?" He looked at Nana. "I know you're crazy, but don't be stupid, too." He lifted the knife again, the point hovering an inch from the girl's smooth cheek. "Ya know, old Whitcomb probably wouldn't even mind if I made her look like Lady Frankenstein, but I'll make it where everyone else who looks at her wants to puke."

"I'll get the money." Nana turned, standing on tiptoes, and took down the small, crude cuckoo clock that hung over the table. She opened the back and pried out a wad of bills. "You never had enough sense to notice that this thing doesn't keep time." She held it out to him. "Now get out."

He took the money, examined it with satisfaction, then shoved it into his pocket. Milda was making a low sound in the back of her throat, blue eyes sparking, and he gave her an amused look. "What's with you? You sound like the old bitch's cat did when I grabbed it. Okay, time for you to fork over."

"I don't HAVE any money, you bastard, and I wouldn't give it to you if I did."

He shrugged. "Can't say I'm surprised. You hippie chicks never have any money unless you've been hooking, and Whitcomb is too stupid to put you on the street." He studied her more closely. "Still, that ain't to say you don't have anything I want." He gestured with the knife. "Take 'em off."

"Go fuck yourself." He hit her again.

That was when Colin rushed in. The bus had been running late, and he'd been getting worried as the sky darkened. Bailey's appearance the night before couldn't be good, and he didn't like leaving the women at home alone. He'd known that something was wrong the moment he'd opened the door--there was a man's voice coming from the kitchen. He didn't catch what the guy was saying, but Acacia's voice was clear. Her tone, and the words she spoke, made him hurry. He came in just in time to see Milda fall back against the wall, long red hair whipping from the force of the
blow.

Colin Whitcomb was a gentle man, but he was suddenly filled with white-hot, blinding rage. The idea of someone hurting the sweet, gentle woman he'd given his heart to drove all reason from him, and he roared as he sprang at a startled Bailey. He managed to land one good punch before Bailey drove the knife into his belly.

Colin clutched at the wound, feeling the slipperiness of blood as Bailey snarled, "You stupid fuck! I wasn't gonna damage the bitch." The pain was incredible, but it didn't stop Colin. He was fighting for Milda, and Nana, and it would take more than that to stop him. He lunged at Bailey again as Nana screamed and Milda cried out in what sounded like savage encouragement. It didn't sound like her at all, but he didn't have time to consider that.

Colin had never been a fighter, and he didn't have a chance. Bailey stabbed him twice more, swearing at him to "just fuckin' FALL, dammit!" The boy finally did, and Bailey panted, "Stupid fuck! All you had to do was just wait a minute and I'd have been gone, and you could have lived happily ever after with your little slut." The redheaded girl was swaying, staring at the boy who was slumped on the floor, making a low, keening sound. "Shut up!"

The shock of seeing what had happened to her lover had brought Milda out again. Now she moaned. "Colin. Casey--Casey, he's hurt bad. What can I do?"

"I said SHUT UP, cunt!"

The girl's voice shifted, becoming rough, "Nothing, little sister. Nothing but stand back and let me do what I'm meant to do."

"You're nuts--everyone in this damn house is nuts but me. Now I'm gonna hafta..."

There was a smash as Nana brought the cuckoo clock down on the back of Carl's head, screaming in rage and excitement. Carl staggered, shattered bits of wood and drops of blood from his gashed scalp pattering down on his shoulders. He whirled and swung at Nana with the knife, but the old lady was surprisingly agile, and jumped back out of his reach.

His back was turned, and he didn't see the transformation start, but Nana did. She saw the girl sinking into a crouch as the bones in her face shifted, and fine hair flowed out over her skin. There were people who would have gone mad, seeing this, but Nana had walked the fine balance between sane and insane before, and was better suited to accept it than most. She just grinned wildly, and called, "Get him, Casey!"

Carl wasn't really worried about the hippie girl--those peaceniks were never any real threat. He didn't turn back, figuring he'd better get the old lady shut up quickly. Then there'd be time to have a little fun with the redhead. He raised the knife again, choosing his target, deciding that he'd cut the old woman's throat--that would be quickest.

Something large and furry landed on his back, hissing and growling. Something sharp raked across his cheek, and he howled in pain, slamming his fist back. It thudded solidly against the head of whatever it was, and a swatch of long, red hair slithered down to plop beside his feet. What the fuck? The hippie? Yes, the arm clamped around his throat, pressing against his windpipe, was clad in the long sleeves that the girl had been wearing. But that wasn't possible--this had to be some kind of animal.

He struck back with the knife, and managed to catch the creature a glancing slice along its ribs. It fell away with a yowl. "You ARE a witch!" he screamed at Nana. "Well, I'll kill you AND your damn demon!"

The creature on the floor lunged up at him; split-lipped, whiskered mouth spread wide, and closed its jaws around the wrist of the hand holding the knife. She bit down hard, jerking her head, and Carl screamed as flesh and tendons tore, the knife falling from his hand. He beat at the huge cat, the cat tangled awkwardly in the hippie girl's clothes--the cat that was about to tear his hand off.

Then his hair was seized, his head jerked so hard that he was bent backward in a bow. He had an upside-down glimpse of old lady Collins, her gray hair flying everywhere, eyes flashing, teeth bared in a rictus of hate, looking every bit of the witch he had accused her of being. Her free hand was raised high, and there was a flash of something silver clutched in it. He had a split second to wonder how she'd gotten hold of his knife--before her hand drove down and stabbed the crochet hook into his right eye.

The sound he made was indescribable. It can just be noted that he didn't manage to scream. The thin pike of metal plunged deep, popping the eyeball, crunching through a thin skim of bone, and lanced into his brain.

He dropped, jerking the hook out of the woman's hands, and his body began to jitter on the floor. The big cat released its hold on his hand and tore at his throat, clawed feet kicking at his belly and opening rips in his abdomen.

It wasn't necessary--he never could have survived that single stab, but the cat was in blood frenzy now. The man was mauled before Nana's frantic voice reached into the sentient part of its mind. "Casey! Milda! Girls, please. Colin..."

The cat immediately leaped off the corpse, landing by where the older woman was holding her hands to a gaping wound in the young man's side, trying to staunch the blood. Nana was crying, "I can't stop it! He stabbed him in too many places. Help me!"

The cat made an anguished, mewling sound, and the transformation quickly flowed in reverse, leaving Acacia to drop limply to the floor. None of the girls had ever transformed so abruptly, and it HURT. But she crawled over to the two humans on the floor. "Colin! Colin, don't die, you idiot! Hang on."

The boy was pale, skin clammy. His eyes fluttered open, and he looked around, confused. "Milda? Is Milda okay?"

"She's okay, Caveman. You done good. Keep this up and I'll have to admit that not ALL men are shits."

Colin smiled weakly. "Where is she?"

Nana said, "She's getting an ambulance, dear. She'll be right back."

"Hope she hurries." He shuddered. "Nana, I need to give you some money to fix the furnace. This house is always so cold." His voice was getting fainter. "Wish Milda was here. She's so warm."

Acacia looked around and spotted the wig, lying on the floor. She exchanged a look at Nana, then crawled over to it, getting it and fitting it on her head. Then she closed her eyes and waited. Nothing. She whispered, "Milda, come on." Nothing. Faint sobs echoed in her mind. "Milda, baby," she breathed, "I know you're hurting, but he needs you." Colin moaned. Acacia shuddered, and Milda opened her eyes, turning back to Colin. "Sweetheart?"

Colin opened his eyes again. "Hey, babe. You okay?"

She nodded. "I'm okay, but you..."

He took her hand, and she winced. His hands, the hands that had been so warm and sure on her body, were chilled. "It's all right, as long as you're safe." He kissed her hand.

"Oh, Colin, you're hurt. Why didn't you just go get some help?"

"Couldn't let him hurt my baby," his voice was fading. "Love you so much, Milda."

"I love you, too, Colin." He somehow found the strength to smile again, then his eyes glazed over and his grip went lax. "No!" Her voice rose in a yowling shriek. "NO!" She collapsed across the still body, holding it, sobbing quietly.

Nana sat back on her heels, watching in frustrated grief. At last the girl went still, then sat back up, sniffing as she wiped a bloodied hand across her face. She was somehow--darker. "Oh, God--that poor, sweet man. My poor, darling Milda. The one of us who really had a chance of having a relationship that wasn't fucked up--now this."

Nana had no trouble recognizing the girl. She might have Acacia's hair and be dressed in Milda's clothes, but she was obviously Naresha. She watched as the girl got up and laid a vicious kick against Carl Bailey's head. If the body were ever autopsied, they'd have to add a cracked neck to the list of injuries. "Damn it!" She hissed. "If I was a witch I'd resurrect the asshole so I could kill him again." She looked at Nana. "We can't call the police."

Nana shook her head. "Of course not," she agreed. There was the unspoken fact that the girls needed to avoid official attention, and then there was Nana's own situation. It had been justified, but with her history it was unlikely that she'd avoid being committed, given the viciousness of her defense. "But what will we do?"

"We'll bury them," Naresha said shortly. "The back yard is huge, and with all your vegetables and flowers, no one will think anything of more freshly turned earth."

Nana nodded. "Yes, that will work. We should have plenty of time to get it done."

"Yes--the sun won't be up for ages. And they'd have to fly over to see over that hedge around the yard. Where should we put them?"

Nana made a face, stroking Colin's long blond hair. "Can't we bury them separately? I can't stand the thought of Colin having to spend eternity with that piece of shit."

Naresha shrugged. "Colin is gone, Nana, and there's no way Bailey is in the same place as he is, but I agree. Milda is going to want to mourn the boy, and I don't want her memories to be spoiled, knowing that his killer is right there with him." She cocked her head. "Hmm. You've been working on that bed right up against the back of the house, haven't you?"

Nana nodded. "I'm just about ready to set the tulip bulbs."

"And it's just the right size. That will do for Colin. As for THAT filth..." she toed Carl's body, "I don't want him any closer to the house than is necessary. How about putting a ring of flowers around that elm at the back of the yard?"

Nana frowned. "Well, we COULD, but it will look funny if we turn up enough ground to bury him."

"We would if we buried him laid out." Naresha's eyes glittered. "However, PARTS can be arranged in a circle very neatly.

"Oh, my." Nana's voice was soft and admiring. "I never would have thought of that."

Naresha shrugged. "I'm the practical one, dear. It's my job." She looked at Nana. "So, which do you want--digging, or cutting?"

Nana stood up. "Digging. It's not that I couldn't do it--I expect all my experience with disjointing chickens would come in handy. But I have a lot more experience with a spade than you do, dear." She smiled. "And I'm a touch old bird. I can pitch a lot of dirt quickly when I need to."

Naresha clapped her hands briskly. "Okay, let's see... I believe I saw a hatchet in the basement."

"There's also a couple of old rubber sheets down there, left over from when Mama was sick. Those will work well for shrouds. You come down, and help me bring that bed-board up, too."

"Bed-board?"

"Father couldn't sleep on a soft mattress."

"Nana, why would I need that?"

Nana pointed at Bailey. "You're going to roll THAT onto it while you fix him. I'm not having chunks taken out of my linoleum, young lady."

As she followed Nana into the basement, Naresha gave a feral smile. "Are you sure we aren't related somewhere up the line?"



Part 22: 1965--Long Arm of the Past

Nana opened the back door and stepped out onto the cement square. A warm breeze blew against her cheek, wafting the delicate scent of flowers, and the earthier scent of turned earth from where she'd been weeding the vegetable garden earlier in the day. Her eyes immediately went to the right, to the bed of tulips. They'd bloomed beautifully, and the bed was a mass of pink and butter yellow. Actually she wasn't looking at the flowers--she was looking at the girl
sitting beside them.

Milda sat cross-legged on the grass, staring into the mass of blooms. Once again Nana felt her heart catch. The long, coppery wig was slightly askew, and the round glasses had slid down almost to the tip of her nose, but she didn't seem to notice. Her blue eyes were unfocused, looking at something that no one else on this plane of existence could see, and her pale cheeks (far too pale) were damp. As Nana watched, another tear slipped out, sliding down the tracks of its earlier sisters. *Good God,* thought Nana sadly. "It's been over a month now, and she still cries every day. Seems like that poor child wouldn't have any tears left. I've never seen anyone miss someone the way that little girl misses Colin.*

Nana walked over and squatted beside her. "Milda?" No reaction. The girl hadn't quite gone catatonic, but... Well, she'd never COME BACK all the way after Colin's death. She came out less often, and when she did, she spent all her time here, at her lover's grave. It was hard to get more than a half-dozen words out of her, and Nana missed their long, cozy chats. "Milda, honey? Can I get you some tea?" No response. Nana sighed, giving up. "Casey? Naresha? Milda didn't eat supper last night, and she was up before I was, sitting out here. It's almost supper time again. Girls, if either of you can hear me, one of you needs to come out and eat."

There was another few seconds of silence, then the girl blinked. Her pupils contracted a little, and she reached up slowly, removing her glasses. She pulled off her wig and said softly, "Poor baby sister."

"I'm worried about her, Naresha."

"So am I, darling. So is Casey." She started to stand, then winced. "Damn, I'm stiff. Give us a hand, love." Nana helped Naresha to stand, then led her into the house. "Milda sits like a yogi for hours on end, and -I- pay the price." She sat at the table while Nana began to dish up a plate of food for her.

Nana put the dish of pork chops, green beans, and carrots before her, then sat down also. She sighed. "I'm still cooking way too much food. I just can't get used to Colin being gone. That boy sure did have a hearty appetite," she said wistfully. "And appreciative? He never failed to compliment me, and he told me thank you time and time again."

"Please, Nana, you'll get me crying like Milda, and I am NOT a sentimental soul," said Naresha. She ignored the cutlery, picked up the first pork chop, and began to tear at it with her small, sharp teeth.

"I hope you don't eat like that in public, child," said Nana, plucking a paper napkin from a holder on the table and pushing it toward Naresha. "What are we going to do about Milda?"

Naresha put the half-eaten pork chop down. "I don't know. Nana, we're going to have to get her through this ourselves. We can't possibly take her to a psychiatrist--doctor/patient confidentiality be damned. She'd have to tell him about Colin, and by association that piece of shit out by the tree. I don't believe she'd deliberately spill anything that might bring The Bastard or The Bitch down on us, but... She's FRAGILE right now. There could be a slip."

Nana frowned. "I suppose you're right. I've heard that those doctors can be a big help to some people. They never did me any good."

Naresha finished her meal quickly, then wiped her hands. "Well, I have to go to work. I hate leaving Milda, but we have to keep some cash flow going."

It didn't strike Nana as ironic that Naresha would actually be carrying Milda with her wherever she went. As far as the girl was concerned, Milda would be home, mourning. "You don't have to, dear. Since the house is paid off, I don't have all that many expenses, so you can slide on the rent."

"No, dear, we can't keep sponging off you. Besides," she stretched, "you never can tell when we'll have to do a fast fade. There's still a year before we can be relatively sure of being beyond the legal grasp of people who shall remain unnamed."

Nana took her hand. "One more day, Naresha. One more day won't hurt."

The girl smiled reluctantly. "Oh, all right. If I wasn't such a lazy bitch, I'd march right on out. The good thing is that they ALWAYS need staff at the coffee house, so I won't have to worry about losing the job." She yawned. "I think I'll go have a nap, then. Between Milda's nightmares and Casey's pacing, none of us have gotten much sleep lately."

Naresha went upstairs, and Nana began to clean her already spotless kitchen. Cleaning was one of her own forms of pacing. She didn't do handwork lately because her mind wandered with worry. Her hands would keep on, automatically churning out yards of crochet or knitting, but when she looked back over it there would be odd gaps and tangles, and she would have to unravel and begin again.

A few minutes later there was a knock at the door. She hurried to answer it, not wanting to risk having the girls awakened from much needed rest. She opened the door on the chain and peered out. There was a non-descript man *Well, if you don't count that sports jacket,* Nana thought. *That booger is so loud it almost shouts.* standing on the front porch. "Yes?"

He smiled. Nana usually liked it when people smiled, but this man seemed to have way too many teeth, and his eyes stayed cold and shrewd. "I'm looking for someone. I was told that you have a young lady boarding here. I believe she's going by the name of Danielle Ballard."

Nana felt a cold lump form in the pit of her stomach. "You must be mistaken, mister."

"You're Miz Collins, aren't you? Maybe you know her as Acacia? I've been told that she's working under that name."

"No, I'm the only one here," she said firmly. *Whatever this is, it can't be good. I'm going to have to tell the girls about this. Damn it, they'll probably have to leave now. Maybe I'll be able to come with them."

The man had continued speaking, "Lady, I'm sure you mean well, and you want to protect this girl. Maybe you don't know that she's a runaway." He nodded, as if refuting a protest. "She's been running for over two years now. Poor mite was only fifteen when she took off. You have to understand that she was having a lot of EMOTIONAL trouble, ma'am. The poor kid is awful confused, and she needs help. Luckily she has people who care about her and want to see that she GETS help."

"I don't know what you're talking about, Mister. Now, why don't you just get off my porch and leave a poor old woman alone?"

The man's smile faded. "Look, her parents are worried sick about her. Besides, you try to block her return, you could very well be up on charges. Interfering with custody will probably be the start of it, but who knows what other charges they could bring?"

"You think that scares me?" snapped Nana.

"It bothers ME." The voice was quiet.

Nana turned to see Milda coming down the stairs, tucking a long strand of red hair behind her ear. She was pale and drawn, her mouth drooping sadly, but she was THERE. She was noticing what was going on around her, *But why did she have to come back NOW?* Nana thought unhappily. "Go back upstairs, Milda."

The man was trying to peer through the narrow slit, toward the stairs. He raised his voice. "Kathleen? Kathleen, your mother is worried about you. Do you realize how much money your parents have spent trying to find you?"

"They aren't my parents," she said faintly, coming up behind Nana.

"I understand that there were some difficulties before you ran away," the man said, trying to sound reasonable. "They're sorry about that, and they want to make it up. Just come back with me."

Nana shut the door quickly. "You get out of here, right now! Milda, baby, go back upstairs and... and talk to Naresha."

"Nana, he said that they're sorry," said Milda.

The man must have had his ear pressed against the door. "They are! When your father found out that you might be living only a couple of hours drive from him, why, he CRIED. I saw him."

"It sounds like they may have changed, Nana."

There was a hopefulness in the girl's voice that made Nana wince. Milda wanted so much for people to be good, for them to display the sweet qualities that she had herself. Sadly, there weren't many who lived up to her standards, and she could get hurt by believing. "Sweetheart, I can't believe that. Leopards and spots, you know. In any case, you can't take the risk. Wait till you can talk to the other girls." *Until they can get all of you OUT of here.*

"Kathleen," the man's voice was sad, and persuasive. "I didn't want to tell you this right now--I thought it would be easier if you found out when you were with your mother, so she could support you. One of the reasons your father is trying so hard to find you is that, well, he's dying." He waited a moment. Milda was staring at the door, blue eyes becoming wider by the second. When there was no response, the man continued, "It's cancer, Kathleen, and he doesn't have much longer left. He's bedridden now. He wants so much to make peace with you, to apologize for all the trouble that's been between you. He said he doesn't want to go to his grave without telling you he's sorry."

Milda gripped Nana's hand. "He's sorry, Nana, and he wants to make it up." Her grip tightened painfully. "And he's dying. We have to give him a last chance."

"No, you don't!" the older woman whispered fiercely. "You don't owe him anything but a kick in the teeth, girl. Milda, you're not in any fit state to make this kind of decision right now."

"I CAN call the police," said the man, "but they don't want that, if we can help it. They want to spare you being FORCED to come back. If you'll just come with me... Look, they just want to talk."

"They wouldn't try to make me stay?"

"Not if you really don't want to. They want to be sure that you're well, and their minds won't rest easy till they SEE you. Like I said, it's only a couple of hours away by car. I can drive you there right now. If you don't want to stay, then I'll drive you back after you have your talk."

Nana could see the resolve forming in the girl's eyes. "Milda, NO! Casey, Naresha--listen to me, girls. One of you needs to come out, right now!" Milda blinked at her, but there was no trace of either of the other sisters in her eyes. "Milda, honey, please."

"It will only be for a couple of hours, Nana," she said gently as she reached for the chain. "And I'll come right back, I promise. But... he's DYING. I have to give him this chance, don't you see?" She unhooked the chain, opening the door. "It's... death is so FINAL. Everyone needs another chance."

The man smiled at her. "You're a good girl, Kathleen. You're doing the right thing."

Milda kissed Nana's cheek. "Not long, Nana. Not long." She followed the man out to his car.

Nana shut the door softly, then leaned against it, expression blank. She looked up at the ceiling. "Girls... Where were you? Of ALL of you, why did he have to catch her?" She put her hands over her face. "Dear God, let it be so. Bring her back safe," she lowered her hands, and now her expression was grim. "because if that girl gets hurt, I swear that I'm going to hunt someone down and kill them."

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

They rode quietly for a time. Finally the man ventured, "You've been a hard lady to find, Kathleen. Your father has had people looking for you all over the country. We've had reports that you've been spotted everywhere from California to Georgia."

"We moved a lot."

The man lifted an eyebrow at her choice of plural pronoun, but he continued. "He's got a reward out for information leading you home. That's not why I'm doing this, Kathleen. No, I only take my salary--it's enough for me to see families reunited."

"That's good, because you wouldn't get any reward for this." He gave her a questioning look. "I'm not Kathleen. I look a lot like her, I know, but I'm not her. She's a good bit younger than I am."

"Kathy, you don't have to pretend with me. It doesn't make any difference what you want to call yourself, though. You're the one they want back."

She shook her head. "No, really. But I KNOW Kathleen. I can talk to her--sometimes. And I'm sure she'd want to make peace with her step-father. That's the only reason I came. I think it will help her. She never wants to come out."

The man grunted, and concentrated on the road, thinking, *Well, they TOLD me she wasn't playing with a full deck." He shot a look at her. *But she doesn't seem violent. I wonder what it takes to set her off?*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Wally, I don't think it was a good idea for you to send the other servants away," Maggie paced nervously. "Mrs. Logan isn't going to be of much help if Kathy goes over the edge again."

They were in the upstairs sitting room. Wallace Bernard was sitting in a well padded armchair, pillows propped behind his back and a blanket over his knees. "Don't be stupid, Maggie. She's just a seventeen year old girl."

"Yes, well, it was a fifteen year old girl who gave you that scar."

Wallace touched the deep pink, jagged streak that ran along his hairline. If Margaret hadn't come home unexpectedly, he might very well have bled to death. He tried to keep his hair combed over the scar, but his hair had thinned badly in the last couple of years, and it wasn't easy. "I wasn't expecting it. I'm on the alert now--I'll be prepared if she gets obstreperous. Don't go borrowing trouble, Maggie. Now, go to your room. I want to see Kathleen alone first. There will be plenty of time for you to get reacquainted with her later."

"Fine by me. I'm in no hurry to see her. I don't know how I bred such a vicious little bitch. It has to be her father's blood coming out." Margaret went to her own room on the other side of the house. She knew how devoted Wallace was to getting Kathleen back under his roof, but she was sure that she'd be able to make him see reason. They'd put Kathleen away in some sort of home, and it wouldn't be hard to keep her there at least till she was twenty-one. *And if she's as crazy as she was before, there's a good chance that they'll just KEEP her.*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mrs. Logan opened the door to find the private detective *What's this one's name? Lyons--that's it. Yes, he has the eyes of a predator. It's appropriate.* The girl standing beside him came as a surprise. Where had all that long, red hair come from? Then she looked closer, recognizing the sharp bone structure, and the tilted blue eyes. Yes, it was her all right. She was a little taller, a little paler, but it was her, despite the cheap wig. "Kathleen."

The smile was a bit of a shock, too. It was... gentle. She couldn't remember seeing gentleness in Kathleen before. Helplessness at first, and later anger and spite, but not gentleness. The voice was different from how she remembered it, too--shy. "No, ma'am. My name is Milda, but I KNOW Kathleen."

She exchanged a quick look with the detective, who shook his head minutely. All right, if she wanted to be someone else, Mrs. Logan could play along with that. She expected that the girl's parents would shake her back into shape soon enough. "Yes, miss. Come in." They entered. Mrs. Logan shut the door--and locked it, as discreetly as possible. "Mr. Lyons, you're to wait downstairs. They want to see Miss... They want to see this young lady alone first."

Lyons frowned. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea."

The housekeeper shrugged. "It's what he wants." *And he pays the bill,* her expression said. He read it correctly, nodding agreement. "You can wait in the living room over there. Miss, he's in the upstairs sitting room."

Milda went toward the stairs, and paused at the bottom. "I'm sorry, but I don't know where that is."

Mrs. Logan frowned in disbelief. "You lived here for eight years." Milda just tilted her head. "Turn left at the top of the stairs, go down the first hall, and it's the first door on the right." The girl nodded and started up the stairs. *One thing hasn't changed. She still moves like a cat.*



Chapter Twenty-three
1965--Catalyst

Milda walked slowly down the hall, looking around. The house was far grander than any she'd ever been in before. It was how she might imagine that royalty might live. She knew that her sisters had suffered here. She had not been alive during the horrible years, but she wasn't totally unaware of what had gone on. She got flashes--impressions--but it was hard to imagine anything ugly happening here.

She came to the first door on the right and hesitated, resting her hand against the heavy oak. She settled her glasses more firmly, and flipped her hair back over her shoulders. Nana was like a mother to her, but she'd never experienced anything like having a father. She'd talked with Kitten, sharing her warm memories of her daddy, and she didn't exactly envy the little girl, but sometimes she felt wistful. And she wanted desperately to believe in remorse and redemption.

She tapped on the door. A thin voice from inside called, "Come in."

She opened the door, peeking through the crack. As open and honest as her nature was, it didn't quite overcome the natural caution of her feline nature. The man was sitting in a high backed, richly upholstered chair in front of the fireplace. He was muffled up in a silk dressing gown, with a thick blanket over his legs. There were pillows stuffed in around him, as if to prop him up.

He was staring at her. *Damn. I thought I'd lose interest in her as she got older, but she's still beautiful. She looks different, and it isn't just the wig, or the fact that she's grown into her features. It's the attitude. She'd grown hard the last couple of years, but now she looks soft again--vulnerable.
God, I'm getting hard already.* At last he said, "Kathleen?"

She gave him a shy smile. "I've been getting that a lot lately. My name is Milda."

"Is that so? You look a lot like my Kathleen."

"I'm sorry, Mister Bernard."

"Please, Mister Bernard? You used to call me Wally." He beckoned to her. "Come closer, so I can see you. My eyes aren't what they once were."

Milda approached timidly. This was The Bastard? This was the man that her sisters hated with such consuming venom? He looked so harmless. "Kathleen couldn't come. We... we don't see much of her. But I can give her a message. I can tell her anything that you want her to know, and maybe she'll decide to come herself."

She'd stopped a couple of yards away. His hands were resting on the arms of the chair. He lifted one hand weakly, and crooked his fingers. "Come closer, little girl. You're not afraid of me now, are you?"

She edged closer still. "No, not really. It's just that the others..."

He frowned. "Others? Have people been talking about me?"

"My sisters--Acacia and Naresha. They were... away when that man came to Nana's house. I don't think they would have come."

Wallace studied her. *I knew she was unbalanced before she left. She's gone around the bend. It won't be hard to have her put away somewhere secure. Somewhere that allows private visits.*

"I couldn't agree more. Kathleen, please. With you standing away from me... There's been so much distance for so long. I can remember when you were a little girl, we used to watch television, or just sit in front of the fire--me in a chair, and you sitting by my feet--sometimes resting your head on my knees." He patted his knee. "One more time?"

"I... I don't know."

"Please, Kathy. I have so much I need to say to you, and it would be easier for me." He let his voice tremble, dipping his head. Milda's tender heart softened even more. She stepped closer, then sank to her knees at his feet, gazing up at him. "Why did you come?"

"Because I think that everyone should have a second chance."

Wallace smiled at her, leaning forward, and took both of her hands in his. "So do I." His eyes glittered. "You have no idea how happy I am to have this chance." Milda felt a stab of nervousness. There was something wrong with his tone. It was far too smug for a man facing his own mortality, and trying to heal old wounds. "I'm so happy that you're back."

"I can't stay." She tried to make her voice firm. "I'll be going back to San Francisco in a couple of hours. I promised Nana."

"The old lady? Lyons told me a little about her. I can't say I'm surprised you ended up with someone like her."

Milda frowned. "Someone like her?"

"Off."

Milda's spine stiffened. "Nana is a wonderful, kind, loving person. She took us in..."

"I'm not going to believe she didn't know you were a runaway, and since she didn't notify anyone, I'm pretty sure that could be considered contributing to the delinquency of a minor. I'll bet an old lady like her wouldn't do well in jail."

Milda could feel the blood draining from her face. "You couldn't!"

"That's where you're wrong, Kathy. I can. I can do anything I like. You should know that by now."

Now his tone was gloating, and the nervousness was escalating toward fear. "I'm going now."

His hands tightened. "I'm afraid that Lyons won't take you back."

"I don't care! I'll hitch hike back. I'll walk. I've done it before."

"You're home now, and you'll be staying--at least for a few days. I've been looking into private institutions. I can afford a good one, Kathy. One where you'll have your own room... where we can be alone."

The pressure on her wrists was growing stronger, beginning to hurt. Milda's voice rose. "Let go of me!"

He grinned, and his expression no longer held a shred of the uncertainty and mournfulness he'd shown before. IT was totally feral. "I have a room ready for you while I'm deciding where you'll go. It's in the back of the house, because the ornamental bars on the window would have looked a little odd in the front."

Milda tugged back. "Let go of me, or I'll scream!"

He laughed, and the sound was chilling. "It never worked for you before. What makes you think it will work now?" He pulled her toward him. "Just like old times, Kathy--you on your knees--where you belong." Milda jerked back hard, but she couldn't find an inch of slack. Wallace chuckled. "Go ahead and fight if you want to. I'm ready for you this time, bitch." He did release one hand, reaching up to brush his scant locks away from his forehead, showing the ugly scar. "This won't happen again." He reached down with his free hand, beginning to open his fly. "How do you want your welcome home, Kathy? I never had your ass. How about that?" Milda screamed.

She was young and healthy, and her shriek rang out loud and long. Downstairs the private detective paused in pouring himself a whiskey, then added some soda. Down in the kitchen, Mrs. Logan turned her radio up louder, then as the second scream floated down, louder still. The song was bright and fast. //Rescue me. Take me in your arms. Rescue me. I need your tender charms...// She turned back to the radio abruptly, spinning the dial through a gamut of electronic squeals and crackles, and the Beach Boys started singing about California Girls. She sat at the table, cupping her hands over her ears, her expression stiff. Upstairs Maggie paused in her pacing, then started again, even more quickly, thinking, *Get it over with, you fucking lecher. Get it over with and lock her away, so I can have a little peace.*

Wallace had managed to open his fly, while keeping hold of Milda. The girl pulled back hard, and managed to pull Wallace off balance, but not enough to escape. She kicked out, drumming her heel into his shin. He cursed, then dragged up on her arm, wrenching it painfully. He bent down and slapped her, then back handed her. "You've forgotten," he grated. "If you fight me, you only get hurt worse." He grabbed the collar of her dress and jerked hard, putting a rip almost a half-foot long across the bust. He hissed, "No brassier! You've developed filthy habits, Kathy." Still holding on to her, he worked the buckle on his belt, beginning to slide it out of its loops. "You're going to have to be punished for that." The unholy glee in his voice was the most horrifying thing Milda had ever experienced.

She knew that the others in the house had heard her. There was no outcry, no sound of approaching rescue. She realized that he'd been telling her the truth. She might as well be alone with him here--no one was going to make a move to stop him, or protect her. A blinding sense of her own gullibility washed over her, mingling with encroaching numbness. She could feel herself beginning to go away. *But I can't! Someone else will be here. I can't leave them to this.* Her next scream was a cry of instinct to the person she had been her protector all her short life. "Casey!" she screamed. "Oh, God! Casey, help me!"

Wallace had doubled the belt in his fist. Now he raised it high and lashed down with all his strength. The leather cracked against the girl's cheek, and a blood red stripe immediately rose to mar her smooth, pale skin. Milda wailed in shocked pain, and Wallace growled, "I shouldn't have done that. Never on the face. Now I'll have to keep you here at least till it fades. But that doesn't mean I can't wear your ass out."

He released Milda, not noticing the ring of bruises that was forming around the girl's delicate wrist. He grabbed the shoulders of the sobbing girl, turning and pushing her roughly, till she sprawled on her belly. He bent down, tugging her hem up and grabbing at the waistband of her panties. Milda's voice rose in a keening wail.

But at the highest note of the wail, the sound broke, and spiraled down, down... ending in a guttural growl. Her hands were spread, pressed on the floor before her, and her fingers curved stiffly. There was a grating sound as her nails dragged over the hardwood floor, leaving pail scratches.

These tiny things somehow seeped through Wallace's growing haze of lust and rage. Screams, pleas, whimpers... All these things were expected, even anticipated. But the animalistic growl and the subtle, gritty scratching sounds were just somehow so WRONG, that he froze.

The girl moved, swift and supple. In the blink of an eye the girl had crouched, turning to face him. Wallace gaped. The girl seemed transformed. The gentle air was gone. She was now tensed, almost vibrating with energy, and her blue eyes shone with rage. Her lips were pulled back, baring her teeth, and the low growl continued to roll. He'd spent years intimidating her into acquiescence. He saw no reason why he shouldn't be able to do it now. "Kathy, if you try anything stupid..."

"I'm not the stupid one here, asshole." Even the voice was different, the cadence somehow off, the tone more nasal. "You STILL fucking can't see what's right in front of you."

"A nasty mouth. That doubles the punishment."

"And here's another example of your pathetic stupidity. You actually think that I'm going to let you lay your hands on me again. I'm gonna kill you, anyway. I promised myself that I'd kill you if I ever saw you again."

Wallace's breath was growing ragged. "How dare you...?"

"Before, I'd have probably done it quickly, but now..." Wallace watched in creeping terror. The girl was changing. The blue faded out of her eyes,
leaving them red, and the bones of her face seemed to shift and rearrange. She was flexing her fingers, and her nails... Her nails were visibly growing, turning into needle-sharp hooks. "You messed with my sister, you piece of shit. You're gonna HURT!"

The surreal aura of what was happening had finally stripped down Wallace's lustful arrogance, and he realized that he was in mortal danger. He could see the girl tensing. The muscles in her legs flexed. Her buttocks twitched minutely from side to side, and somehow this was not ridiculous, but bizarrely frightening.

She sprang.

Wallace tried to defend himself instinctively. He stumbled back, lashing out with the belt. One clawed hand darted out, and the strap wrapped around it. Then she whipped her arm back, snatching the belt away. Then Acacia whipped her arm, and struck the man across the face--with the buckle. Wallace staggered back, hitting the chair and falling into it. The belt was thrown, smashing a delicate vase on a side table, and Acacia pounced.

Her knees landed on the man's thighs, pinning him. Wallace screamed, his voice almost as shrill, and even more panicked than Milda's had been. Bernard punched her in the face, but though it rocked her head back, it didn't budge her. Acacia grabbed his shoulders, letting her claws stab in, almost two inches deep. Her head darted forward, and Wallace quickly turned his head to the side. Her incisors and canines, now long and spiky, sank deep into his cheek. She clenched her jaws, then shook her head violently as Wallace continued to scream, beating at her weakly.

Her glasses flew off, the wig slid, falling to the floor. She continued tugging and shaking her head. There was a wet sound, and her head snapped back, a gobbet of skin and flesh caught in her teeth. Blood gushed, running down his neck to begin soaking into his clothes. Acacia grinned at him, teeth bloody, and chewed the morsel of flesh. Wallace started screaming again. He didn't stop screaming as long as he had breath in his body, but that wasn't for long.

Lyons had realized that something unexpected was going on upstairs. He wondered if the peaceful seeming hippie girl had been packing a weapon of some sort. He'd never heard anyone making the sort of noises that he heard now. He raced up the stairs, toward the source of the shrieks.

Mrs. Logan peeked out of the kitchen in time to see the man charge up to the second floor. She went to the phone and picked it up, glancing at the number of the police station. Then she slowly hung up again and sat down. She hadn't reported anything all these years--she decided she'd better wait. Things might still be smoothed over.

When Lyon burst into the room, the scene that greeted him looked like something from a nightmare. Wallace Bernard was stretched out on the floor, face up. The woman crouching over him was obviously the girl he'd brought to the house--the clothing was the same. But the long red wig was pooled by the chair--beside an even redder, moist puddle. The girl's hair was actually a short cap of silky brown and blonde. He could see the shade very easily, since her head was down as she concentrated on ripping Wallace Bernard's abdomen open with her bare hands. Perhaps the most horrible thing about the tableau was that the man's out flung arms and legs were still twitching weakly as the girl tugged a slippery loop of intestine through the gaping hole in his belly. He gasped out, "God DAMN it!"

The girl's head jerked up as she looked at him, and things slipped from strange into something that had no place in reality. Red eyes, a mouthful of fangs... He hardly had time to think. The thing snarled, "Judas!" and came at him.

He should have drawn his gun on the way up the stairs, but he'd been remembering the meek little thing he'd brought here. He reached for the gun in his shoulder holster, but there was no time to aim properly as she rushed at him. A shot went off, and the girl yowled in pain--but didn't stop.

A crease had opened on the crown of her head, blood streaming down her face, but she didn't even slow. She barreled into Lyons, claws slashing viciously. She caught him on the back of the hand holding the gun, slicing through tendons. His fingers spasmed as he completely lost control of them, the gun thudding to the floor.

The girl swarmed over him, shockingly strong and fast. Now Lyons was screaming, too, as much in protest as pain and fear. This wasn't right. The prey was not supposed to turn on the predator.

In her room, Maggie had been frozen with terror. Self-preservation finally forced her to act. Whatever it was that was happening, it was a threat to her own well-being. She dialed the police and gasped out the address. The dispatchers could hear howls and screams in the background. One of them ordered officers to the scene, with all due urgency. The other told Maggie to lock her door, and wait for help to arrive. She told her to come back and stay on the line. Maggie babbled, "But my husband... I have to go help him." The dispatcher tried to reason with her, but she hung up and headed for the source of the clamor.

As she left her room, though, the noise died down. There was no more screaming, though there were occasional bangs and crashes. Maggie crept to the door. It was standing ajar. She reached out to open it wider, but it stopped, bumping against something. There was some sort of obstruction. She shoved hard, managing to squeeze inside.

She didn't scream. The sight that greeted her robbed her of her breath, and most of her reason. It was the detective who had been blocking the door. He sprawled in a welter of blood. He was staring up at the ceiling, looking surprised. His unmarred face was in unsettling contrast to the gaping wound below. His throat was simply gone, vertebrae gleaming through the ragged hole in his gullet.

Her eyes moved on, farther into the room. When she saw Wallace, she gasped sharply. The only reason she recognized him was because she knew how he had been dressed--and, strangely, the scar at his headline had escaped the abuse. It was the only identifying mark left in the red ruin tha was his face. Maggie whimpered when she saw blood staining her husband's open fly.

There was a third figure in the room, squatted down on the hearth, staring into the cold fireplace. Maggie recognized the bright, streaked hair of her
daughter. "Kathy!" The girl's head turned marginally, showing her a bare sliver of profile. Maggie could see the blood smeared over her mouth and chin. She felt her gorge begin to rise, but forced it back down. "What have you done?"

"Balanced a few scales, Bitch."

Despite the horror clutching at her, Maggie felt the old anger and resentment rising again. "You killed him."

"Yeah." She turned her head a little more. Glittering blue eyes fixed on Maggie, and Acacia smiled tightly. Maggie shuddered at the sight of blood on
the girl's small, even teeth. "Too bad I could only do it once. And shouldn't that be 'you killed THEM'? Oh, wait!" She held up one finger, as if making a point. Her hand was slick with blood. "That's RIGHT! No one else in the world matters except you, and the man you pimped me to. Shit, Maggie, who's going to spoil you now?"

Maggie's foot nudged something heavy. She glanced down. It was a gun, lying near the detective's limp hand. She bent, smoothly and swiftly, snatching it up. Aiming it at Acacia, she said coldly. "I don't need anyone to spoil me. Now that he's dead, I'll inherit. I can spoil myself."

"Yeah? Yeah, you WOULD think of that. So..." She cocked her head. "Gonna share?" Her tone was sarcastic.

"Are you kidding? You've been nothing but a fucking annoyance since your daddy squirted you into my belly. I should have aborted you, but he wouldn't let me. That's why he moved us out to that godforsaken hellhole--so I couldn't get to a clinic." She bared her teeth, and an unbiased observer might have noticed that, as much as Acacia would have denied it, there WAS a little of her mother in her.

There was the sound of approaching sirens. Acacia scowled, then said, "Get out of my way, and I'll go. I'll let you live."

Maggie laughed. "And worry about you coming back? I'd never have a peaceful moment." Her eyes narrowed. "And they're close. You wouldn't get away." She lifted the gun, cocking the hammer back. "And you'd tell, wouldn't you?" Acacia smiled slowly. "You'd tell, you slut, and ruin my life!"

Acacia stood slowly. "You know, Bitch, you're right." Her hand drifted behind her as she spoke. "And that... oh, that would be HARD on you, wouldn't it? Just imagine having to go to prison." Her fingers closed around the handle of the poker that hung in the rack of fire implements. "Just think of it--no designer clothes, cold showers instead of baths with imported oils, all that starchy prison food. MAN, you'd pack on the pounds."

"Shut up!"

"And they won't allow you to have more than a few bucks at a time in prison. That's what I've heard. But don't worry--I'm sure you could find some nice butch dyke to make you her girlfriend. A little sex, and she'd probably keep you in smokes and candy. But I forgot--you're a FRIGID bitch, aren't you?"

Maggie lifted the gun. "You can't talk if you're dead."

"With the things I've seen, Bitch," Acacia snarled, "I wouldn't be so sure of it." She started toward her mother.

Maggie fired. She'd never fired a gun before. The roar nearly deafened her, and the recoil knocked it out of her hand, sending a jarring shock up her arm. Acacia thudded back against the mantle, blood blossoming on her right shoulder. Maggie watched in horror as she straightened, bringing her hand from behind her back. The girl stood flatfooted for a moment, swaying slightly, the poker held stiffly. "Maggie, Maggie, Maggie..." she whispered. "You have to do better than THAT!"

Maggie turned. She was going to run back to her room. She was going to lock herself in, as the police had advised her. She was going to wait for the men she could hear kicking down the front door to come up and hopefully shoot this lunatic. She was going to be star witness at the trial and make sure there was no plea of insanity, and then she was going to spend the rest of her life in luxury, without even the annoyance of silent reproach from the child who had earned it for her.

She was going to do all that.

Wallace Bernard was a rich and powerful man. Three patrol cars had been sent. The half-dozen officers were directed to the scene of the crime by a pale faced, hysterical woman in the uniform of a housekeeper. They had heard a shot as they made their way into the house, and the approached quickly, guns drawn. Four of them spread out to search the house, and two entered the room cautiously.

After a moment off scanning, they holstered their guns. One of them whispered, "Jesus Christ!" The second was making gagging noises. "If you puke in this crime scene I'll have your ass, rookie!" the senior officer snapped. The young man managed to make it into the hall before he emptied his stomach. "Go call in, and tell them we have four DBs, and there may be others or wounded, for all we know. Go!"

The rookie hurried away, grateful to escape the scene of carnage.

The senior officer scanned the scene, noting the victims--two male, two female. There was one of each near the door. The man looked as if he had been mauled, and the back of the woman's head was a pulpy mess. There was no mystery as to how she had died. The poker lay beside her, the end thickly smeared with blood, brains, and hair. The male lying in the middle of the room looked as if he'd been savaged by a pack of wild animals. His face was more-or-less gone, and he'd been disemboweled. He heard more sirens approaching, and mentally told the paramedics that there was no need to hurry.

The other body was sitting up, back propped against the wall, arms hanging limp, chin on chest as her head drooped. The cause of death wasn't immediate, but she was slathered in blood. He holstered his gun and went to her, wanting to get an idea of cause of death. He gingerly gripped her hair and lifted her head.

Blank, staring blue eyes gazed up blindly. "Shit," he murmured sadly. *She can't be more than sixteen or seventeen, and so pretty. What a fucking waste.*

She blinked slowly.

The officer fell to his knees beside the girl, yelling, "Hennessey! Johnson! Get the medics. Get 'em up here NOW! We have a live one."


1965, the next day--Aftermath

The two detectives in the unmarked police car were riding in silence. Finally the passenger--Alan Sheridan--said, "I've never seen anything like that in my entire life."

The senior detective, Jacob Weidman, grunted. "You probably won't again, unless you're damn unlucky. We don't get all that much really messy stuff out here. Oh, we have our share of violence. Someone breaks a bottle and uses it in a bar brawl, a domestic incident gets nasty, a stick-up artist gets nervous... It happens." He shook his head. "But carnage like we found at the Bernard house? Hell, I've been working homicide here for almost ten years, and I haven't seen anything like that outside a car wreck."

"Are we going on the theory that the girl did it all?"

Weidman glanced at this partner. "Well, the housekeeper told us that the girl was unbalanced from childhood, and that she suspected that she'd attacked her father before."

"Stepfather."

Weidman shrugged as he pulled into the hospital parking lot. "Same difference."

"No," countered Alan. "There IS a difference. Sometimes it's a big difference, and it looks like that's what it was here."

Weidman parked and shut off the engine, then sighed. "Yeah, you're right. I don't know why I said that--just habit, I guess." He turned in his seat to look at the younger man. "My father-in-law runs in the same social set as the Bernards. He's a pretty shrewd codger--he notices things." He bit his lip. "He said that if you saw Wallace and Maggie Bernard at a party with Kathleen, with the way he acted you'd have thought that the stepdaughter was the wife."

Alan grimaced. "Shit--one of THOSE."

"People talk around it, but that's what it looks like. When they brought her in the doctor got her stabilized first, then pulled her old records, and had a look at them. He called ME, instead of me having to hunt him down. He said that if Wallace Bernard wasn't already dead, I should be arresting him, and that if he thought he could manage it, he'd have the girl's old doctor up on ethics charges." Alan Sheridan had turned pale, and Weidman said quietly, "Don't let it get to you. There isn't a hell of a lot we can do about such situations. Either the kid has to come close to death, or you have to have an eye witness, at least when the perps belong to the so-called 'upper class'."

Alan's voice was hard. "I think that maybe the bastard got what he deserved."

"Maybe, but it isn't our decision, and it wasn't hers. And don't forget--two other people died. Though I have to admit, I've heard a few things about Lyons that make me suspect he might have helped bring it on himself."

"And the mother?"

Jacob shook his head. "I don't know, but I have to wonder how what I suspect could have gone on without her suspecting something. Still, that doesn't change the fact that we're going to have to build some sort of case against that girl, because there's no way she was just an innocent bystander. Let's go see if she's conscious."

They entered the hospital, and went to the information desk, paging Dr. Sandor Ellis. They waited a moment, and the attendant took a phone call, then told them that the doctor would meet them in the physicians' lounge. The lounge turned out to be a dimly lit room furnished with a couple of tables, some chairs, and a small sofa. The sofa was occupied by a young man in a bloodstained doctor's coat. He was stretched out with an arm across his eyes, snoring softly. The two detectives quietly helped themselves to coffee from the percolator on the counter, then Weidman started another pot. When Sheridan gave him a questioning look he explained, "There's one cardinal sin common to cops and doctors--taking the last cup, and not starting another pot of coffee."

They'd almost finished their coffee when Dr. Ellis entered the room. He was in his fifties, salt-and-pepper hair clipped in no nonsense style, and his pristine white coat covered an expensive suit. He nodded to them as he went to the counter. "Detectives." He gave a small smile as he poured a cup of coffee. Nodding toward the sleeping man, he said, "I know that Terry didn't make this, so thank you, gentlemen. I suggested we meet here because I knew Terry would be catching a few winks here, and I thought you might want to speak to the doctor who worked on her in emergency before I took her in surgery."

Ellis went over to the sofa and shook the young man's shoulder firmly. "Gilliam, the detectives are here."

The young man snorted, his arm dropping. He blinked rapidly, then sat up slowly, and accepted the cup of coffee offered by the older man. He said nothing till he'd drunk deeply, then he sighed, "Okay, I think my heart is started now." He rubbed at his eyes. "What time is it?"

"Almost nine."

"I got almost three hours of sleep."

"Damn," muttered Alan.

Terry nodded. "Yeah, I'm usually not that lucky." He drained the cup.

Ellis joined the detectives at the table. "Come on, son. Once you finish here, you can go home and catch some shut-eye before your evening shift." As Terry took a seat, Ellis said, "Gentlemen, I'd like to know how that young woman came to have a bullet in her shoulder, and a head wound that resulted in a cracked skull and took nearly a hundred stitches to close."

Both detectives took out notebooks and began to consult them. Jacob said, "That's what we're going to be trying to figure out, along with what happened to the two other vics we found with her."

Ellis made a dismissive gesture. "The dead don't concern me--you'll have to talk to the medical examiner about them."

"Well," said Alan, "From our preliminary observations and interviews, we have a rough theory of what happened."

"Very rough," said Jacob dryly. "The girl, Kathleen Bernard, was a runaway. She'd been on the road for a couple of years, and her parents had detectives looking for her. One of them tracked her down not too far away, and brought her home. The only surviving witness was downstairs when the incident happened. According to her, the girl went upstairs to meet with her stepfather. A short time later she heard the guy screaming, and the detective ran upstairs. There was a shot, a lot of noise, and then she heard the mother yelling, and another shot. She called us sometime during all this, but she had the good sense not to go investigate."

"We located her locked in her bedroom, and it took us a couple of hours to get any sense out of her," said Sheridan. "The first officers on the scene found three corpses--Wallace Bernard, his wife, Margaret, and a detective named Lyon. Cause of death hasn't been officially established for the three, but it was messy--really messy."

"It's pretty apparent that the woman had her brains knocked out with a poker," asserted Weidman. "I mean--given that she pretty much didn't have a back left to her head, and the poker was plastered with blood and brains. The two men, though, are a little harder to figure. We just know that there was a LOT of physical damage--cutting or ripping."

"The older guy looked like someone had flailed him with a cat-o-nine tails that was tipped with fish hooks," blurted Sheridan. He shuddered. "And he looked like he was... missing parts."

Terry was looking pale. "That girl I treated..." He swallowed, then got up to get another cup of coffee.

"Spit it out," said Weidman. "It could be important."

Terry sat down again and drank, and they noticed that his hand was shaking. Dr. Ellis said sternly, "Terry, if you're going to be a doctor, you have to learn how to deal with all kinds of situations without losing your cool."

"I know that." Terry ran a hand over his face. "But I gotta tell you, doc--if I run into something else like this any time soon, I'm switching over to dentistry. The girl..." He frowned, snapping his fingers.

"Kathleen Bernard," Weidman supplied.

"Kathleen. I did triage on her wounds, got her stabilized till they could take her into surgery." He took a deep breath. "Okay, first off, she was all over blood, but I seriously doubt that all of it was hers."

"We'll check her clothing to see if there are different blood types," Weidman assured him.

"Yeah, I know. But her hands were COATED, almost to the elbows, and there was what had to be skin and flesh under her nails." He blinked. "By the way, she has the fucking longest, SHARPEST nails I've ever seen."

"Well," said Sheridan, "we were pretty sure that she was involved in the other deaths."

Terry nodded. "You haven't heard all of it yet. She threw up while she was still unconscious, and I had to check to be sure her airway was clear, right? Well, there was blood and bits of flesh in her teeth." The other three men reacted, the youngest detective flinching, and even the other doctor paling. "I scraped up and bagged the vomit, and I really don't want to think about what your lab might find in it."

Weidman swore softly. "I don't know if I want to talk to this girl or not. I mean, I HAVE to, and there's a sort of sick curiosity, but..."

"You won't have to worry about that for a little while, detective," said Dr. Ellis. "I checked her just before I came here, and she's still unconscious." He frowned. "And I must say that since she's restrained, I hardly see the need for the officer stationed outside her door."

"Doctor, your intern here just got through saying that it looks like the girl ATE part of one of them. I'd say we're being damn lenient in not chaining her to the wall. When will we be able to talk to her?"

Dr. Ellis put his palms together in an almost praying gesture, then tapped his fingers against his mouth, thinking. "That's problematic."

"If we can't talk to her soon, it damn sure IS a problem," said Weidman.

Ellis sighed. "Detective, if a patient remains unconscious for more than an hour, it is officially considered a coma. Miss Bernard should have come out from under anesthesia shortly after her surgery was completed last night. She hasn't. That's been..." he checked his watch, "more than ten hours. Granted she's been through severe physical and emotional trauma, so I wouldn't become REALLY alarmed unless her breathing is compromised, or she doesn't regain awareness by this evening, but..." He shrugged. "You never know how these things are going to run. It may last hours, days, weeks... years."

Sheridan stared at him. "You're kidding, right?"

"No, I'm not. Not all physicians use morbid humor. If she continues to breathe on her own, with the use of a feeding tube, the young woman could live quite a long time as she is." He grimaced. "If you can call that living. If she doesn't come to by this afternoon, I'm having her hooked to an EEG, and we'll see what sort of brain activity she has. I may be able to tell you more then."

Weidman sighed. "Well, if we can't talk to her, there's really not much point in us being here. We'll be more useful in the field or at headquarters. There's a shit storm brewing over this. The Bernards were prominent in the community, but they weren't well liked." He stood, offering his hand to the doctor. "Keep us informed if anything breaks, and we'll check back soon."

They left, and the two doctors sat together silently for a few moments. Finally Terry looked over at the senior physician. "She isn't going to come out of it, is she?"

"We don't know that."

"No, but you can make a pretty good guess."

"She SHOULD wake up. The head wound superficial, the fracture wasn't severe. There doesn't seem to be any brain injuries save for a possible concussion. There was not loss of respiration, and we took care of the blood loss before there was any chance of brain damage. The pupils are responsive, her vital signs are steady as a rock."

"But?"

The other doctor shrugged reluctantly. "I do have a feeling about this one. We'll probably never know exactly what happened at that house, but it was nasty." He leaned back in the chair. "Something that I didn't tell the detectives also weighs on my mind, but the connection is so tenuous I doubt they'd pay it much attention."

"What is it?"

Ellis rubbed his forehead. "Gossip, really. Rumor and innuendo. Speculation." He took a breath, then looked down at this fingers as he drummed them on the tabletop. "The Bernard family has a bit of a history of mental and emotional problems. Wallace Bernard, the stepfather of our patient, had a younger sister who committed suicide in a mental institution. She'd been in and out of private 'rest homes' since childhood, but she didn't have a history of self-destructive behavior, as far as I know. There was... talk."

"About what?"

Ellis looked at him, considering his words. Even now that the last of the Bernards had passed on, one didn't lightly speak words that could be considered slanderous. Finally he said delicately, "Some people believe that certain aspects of their family relations were inappropriate." The younger man stared at him blankly, and Ellis shook his head, saying, "You really DO need to go get some more sleep. Some of the male members of the family might have been fond of some of the female members in a more than familial way." Terry blinked, then made a face. "Precisely. And that can engender all sorts of problems, which very seldom go away with time. In fact, they often spread, gathering in others." He took Terry's empty coffee cup and turned it slowly in his hands, staring down into it like a fortune teller trying to read tea leaves. "You know what I think, Terry? And if you mention this to anyone I'll tell them you were either too groggy to understand what I was saying, or you're hallucinating."

Terry smiled faintly. Ellis knew that anything he told him wouldn't leave the room. "What do you think?"

"I think that young woman may not wake up because she doesn't really have anything to come back to." He lifted troubled eyes to the intern. "I think she may not WANT to come back."

Chapter Twenty-five

1965--Settlement

Shortly after the incident

Newspaper Headline

GRISLY TRIPLE MURDER
Did Hippie Girl Kill Parents and Detective?

Nana shrieked in rage and grief as she threw the paper across the room. It was a good thing that the size of the old house and its grounds kept the neighbors at a distance, because otherwise the authorities would most assuredly have been called.

Later Nana gathered herself, knowing that she couldn't be of any use to the girls if she was locked up somewhere. But it seemed that she couldn't be of any use, anyway. She tried. She wasn't a relative; she had no official relation to Kathleen. One of the doctors did agree to speak to her. But it became clear that he had no intention to allow her to visit the girl, and he asked questions--many questions. Nana wasn't about to give up the secrets that the girls had entrusted to her. She knew very well that they were more likely to condemn the girl than free her.

She tried to see Kathleen, but never even managed to get on the floor where they were keeping the girl--the security was too good. She didn't try again, knowing that at best she would be banned from the hospital, and at worst she would end up in jail.

Mourning as if she had lost children of her own, she resigned herself to waiting. As long as Acacia, Nareesha, and Milda lived, Nana would believe that there was hope that they might some day be free--and she would wait.

1965--two months later

Judge Howard Knightbridge adjusted his glasses wearily as he read the legal document. "Well, Charles," he sighed, "I have to admit that this is one of the most tangled messes I've ever seen come through."

Judge Charles Lewis looked up from the law book he was reading. "That's the Bernard case?"

"What else? I've been dealing with this for the last two months."

They were relaxing in Knightbridge's study, after their bi-weekly dinner. Since it was Thursday, they were at Howard's house--Monday's were Charles'. Charles shut the book, setting it aside. "The newspapers have been having a field day with it. It's even been in those disgusting tabloids. I'd sincerely like to know how one of them managed to get photos of the crime scene. Someone should be doing time behind bars for that."

"I agree, but that's not my problem. I have to make a decision on who gets the estate."

"Well, who looks like the clearest contender at the moment?"

Howard put down the paper, rubbing his forehead tiredly. "The stepdaughter."

Charles frowned. "Isn't she the murderer?"

"That hasn't been proven, though there is a lot of circumstantial evidence. Her only wounds were from the detective's gun, so it seems logical that he was shooting defensively. By the way, the detective, Lyons, was a thoroughly unsavory person. He'd been skating along the edges of the law for some time. We know that he'd been hired to find the girl and bring her back, and there were fresh bruises on her face and wrists, which might indicate she didn't come willingly." He shook his head. "And quite frankly, there doesn't seem to be any way she could have inflicted the wounds on the two men." He made a face. "The coroner's report said that cause of death was massive tissue damage and blood loss, most likely inflicted by an animal attack. Charles, they didn't even have a goldfish in that house."

"Bizarre," Charles agreed. "What about the mother?"

"Well, there's no doubt that she was done in by the poker. The trouble is that there were fingerprints on it from both the girl and the husband."

"Hm, yes. No witnesses, right?"

"The only survivor is the housekeeper, and she never went up to the second floor, where it all happened. Locked herself away when the manure hit the cooling device, and I can't say I blame her. It looks like she had good sense. She's of the opinion that the girl did it all, but I think we have to take that with a grain of salt. It seems that the girl had what could only be called a troubled childhood." He raised his eyebrows. "Not to put too fine a point on it, and you'll never hear this discussed openly, but it's a widely held belief that Bernard was WAY too fond of his stepdaughter, if you know what I mean. I have a hard time believing that the mother was unaware of what must have been going on."

Charles' expression hardened. "That," he said, "is nasty."

"I agree. Don't quote me, but there might have been a little poetic justice being meted out. Still, I can't let that affect my decision."

"What does the documentation say?"

"Bernard's will states unequivocally that on his death, half his assets go to Margaret, his wife, and the other half to his stepdaughter, Kathleen, to be held in trust till her twenty-first birthday. Margaret Bernard also had a will. If she pre-deceased her husband, he was to have her estate..." he snorted softly, "which I'm sure consisted of her wardrobe. If Bernard pre-deceased her, it was all to go to her only child--Kathleen."

"So where does it stand?"

Howard steepled his fingers in front of his chin. "Let me tell you, there was some fancy investigating done over this. Everyone died so closely together that there was no chance of going by body temperature, but they did a close examination of the blood splatters. The best they can figure it out is that Wallace Bernard was the first to die. We can be pretty sure that the detective was next, right after he shot the girl. This is from the housekeeper's testimony about what she heard. Then the wife."

"So--Bernard, the detective, the wife," Charles ticked off on his fingers. "If you're satisfied with that progression, Howard, even if the lag between deaths was only a matter of minutes, it seems pretty clear. Bernard died, and Mrs. Bernard and Kathleen inherited. Mrs. Bernard died, and Kathleen inherited it all."

Howard nodded. "That's relatively cut-and-dried. But if the girl committed the murders..."

"It bears no relation on the inheritance, unless the girl is convicted. Then she'd either be sentenced and spend the rest of her life in jail, or get out of prison as a very rich, very old lady, or she'd be executed, and the problem will be out of your hands. On an estate this size, they're going to want an upper level court to handle it."

The other man shrugged. "Perhaps you're right. I might be making more of this than I need to. Even if the girl does inherit, it isn't as if she's going to be jetting around, enjoying ill-gotten gains."

"Quiet type?"

"Charles, she was in a coma for a solid month, and she never entirely came out of it. She's catatonic now. She chews and swallows if they feed her. The doctor says she only messes herself occasionally, because they sit her on the toilet regularly, and she'll do her business then. But other than that... nothing. She stares, she drools a little. She'll shuffle along if someone starts her moving, but then she'll come up against a wall and just stand there, face flat against it, till someone moves her again." He ran a hand over his face. "In other words, she's basically a breathing turnip."

"And she couldn't be faking it?"

"Anything is possible, but the doctor doesn't think so. They've watched her closely, and it would be very difficult for her to keep up an act like this for as long as she has. They've done all sorts of tests. The doctor said you can stick a straight pin, and she never blinks, never flinches. The funny thing is, he's done an electroencephalogram on her, and there's brain activity--a lot of it. It just seems that none of it is cognitive, or practical. She could be living a hell of a life inside her own skull, but the outside world just isn't impacting on her."

"I guess you're right--she isn't going to profit from this, whether she did it or not."

Charles looked at the paper again. "The more I think about this, the more I'm sure that I don't really want to deal with it. I believe I'm going to rule that the estate be put in the control of Bernard's lawyers--they were named executors, but to be directed for the benefit and support of Kathleen, his stepdaughter. If she ever regains competence, and is not indicted for the murders of her stepfather and mother, then the estate is pass into her possession. If at that time she is still incompetent, the money will remain under the control of the executors, and be used to maintain her in comfort for the remainder of her life."

"It's a good decision, Howard. I don't think anyone will be able to fault you on either the letter of the law, ethics, or mercy."

Howard got up and went to open his drinks cabinet. "I need a drink, Charles. You?"

"When have I ever turned down your brandy?"

They shared a quiet drink, and Charles noticed that his friend still looked troubled. "You're doing the right thing."

"I think so. But do you know, Charles? I almost wish there was something more I could give her."

Later That Month

St. Lucy of Syracuse Long Term Care Facility

Costas Veridun parked in his reserved space, near the front entrance of the main building. Even though his car would be readily visible to the security guard sitting at the front desk, he was still careful to lock his car. There were all sorts of undesirables roaming the night these days.

The guard had jumped up as soon as the sleek Cadillac pulled into place, and he had the door unlocked and held open by the time Costas approached. He nodded respectfully to the managing director as he strode into the lobby. As he relocked the door he said, "Good evening, sir. We don't often see you on the weekend."

Costas had gone to the desk, and he was signing his name on the record. "Evening, Simmons. We were supposed to have a new resident come in today, and I thought I'd come by for a look."

St. Lucy's, which was really nothing more than a very secure, high-end nursing home, had a low turn over of patients, so a new arrival was novel enough to draw interest. But still, Simmons was surprised that the director himself, who had no day-to-day contact with the clients, would be interested. Then he remembered what he'd heard about the new patient. Every resident at St. Lucy's had a family that was well able to pay lavish fees to keep their loved ones comfortable. St. Lucy's resembled a hospital in only the most basic manner.

The sterile, secure rooms were deep within the facility, well away from the public areas. Visitors met their loved ones in pleasant, well-appointed lounges. The quiet, easily controlled patients lived in rooms that resembled decent hotel rooms. Even the ones who required constant care, or were... obstreperous had surroundings that were several cuts above what was usually available in an institution.

These amenities, along with an ample staff of well trained professionals, didn't come cheap. There were no welfare cases at St. Lucy's. There weren't even any insurance paid cases--no insurance policy would foot such bills. Every inmate was either wealthy in their own right, or under the care of a family that was rich enough and felt guilty enough to have them stored somewhere comfortable. From the bits of gossip Simmons had heard, the new arrival was going to be fairly low maintenance, and her fees were going to be at the top of the scale.

Costas made his way back to his office and took a moment to look over the admissions paperwork. *Kathleen Bahste. Bills being paid by Foster and Foster at Law, from the estate of the late Wallace Bernard. Being paid, and being paid, and being paid. Oh, you're going to be a nice little moneymaker, Kathy.*

He made his way back into the depths of the building. He had to let himself through one set of security doors, and be buzzed through another, to reach his destination. The staff in typical hospital uniforms looked a little out of place in the carpeted halls. He asked the nurse there, "Where's Dr. Whyman?"

"Back in the break room," she informed him. She quirked an eyebrow significantly. "He's in a playful mood tonight."

Veridun sighed. "Bloody hell." He headed back to the break room.

The tall, reedy man wearing a doctor's coat over his suit was making notes on clipboard. His rimless glasses had slid down near the tip of his nose, and he poked them back up absently as he glanced up. When he saw Veridun a bright, smile, perhaps a bit too bright, and too wide, broke over his face. "Costco!"

Veridun found himself frowning automatically. "Clyde, I've asked you not to do that."

"But you make the cutest expressions when I do. Can I assume that it isn't my own sparkling personality that brought you here?"

"I've come to check on the Bahste girl."

"Ah, of course!" He smiled again, and this time the grin was a little wolfish. "The new blood."

Veridun scowled. "Stop it. One of these days you're going to slip around a visitor, and the last thing we need is suspicion."

Clyde waved negligently. "I'm English, I'm supposed to be eccentric, remember?" He giggled--not laughed, or chuckled. "Quite a joke on them, isn't it? The lunatic helping run the asylum."

Veridun closed his eyes briefly. *It's what I get for making a Malkavian my chief psychiatrist. But he's good, damn it. Well, he's better than any of the others available.* "Clyde, please. If I still had blood pressure, you'd be sending it through the roof."

Clyde stuck out his tongue at him. "You're just a tight ass old Giovanni, that's what you are. Interested in nothing but what can put something in the black on your ledger." He tapped a manila folder lying on the table. "Of course you'd want to check on your newest acquisition. Ya know, Costly, I was a little surprised when I found out this was a Giovanni enterprise. I always figured you guys were into the more physical side of capitalism. You know--art, real estate..." he smiled again, "drugs, guns. But then I took a look at a few of the bills for the deluxe treatment around here." He whistled, eyes merry. "Damn! Yeah, medical care is where the money is. Talk about bleeding the public."

Costas gave up on trying to make Whyman act like anything approaching dignified. Actually the British born doctor was quite a high level functioning Malkavian. He did indeed come off as merely eccentric, instead of actually insane. Most importantly, he could pull it together for the few minutes he had to spend with the visitors, and he was good with the patients--very good. Costas had to wonder if Malkavians had some sort of insight that made it possible for them to be more in tune than most people with the unbalanced. He took a seat at the table. "I don't have the time or patience to slog through all the medical terminology in that folder. Just tell me about her in plain language." At the doctor's smirk he said sharply, "No obscenities."

"Drat. I could come up with a few, you know. She's very attractive--for a vegetable." He shrugged. "And considering what she's been through." He leaned back, lacing his hands over his lean belly. "We'll need to give her daily physical therapy to help with that shoulder wound, or there'll be severely limited motion, if she ever gets to the point where she moves it on her own."

"Is that likely?"

He shrugged again. "It's possible, but I wouldn't bet my future sex life on it. Once a catatonic state has gone on this long, it's likely to continue. The head wound seems to have healed up nicely, so I'm of the opinion that the cause might be more emotional and mental than physical."

"Is she going to require a lot of special care?"

"Don't get all stingy, Couscous. She'll need some, but then, it's being paid for. She won't be much trouble. She'll need to be put on the potty five or six times a day, nappies at night, someone to feed her and give her bathies on a regular basis. Other than that, you can pretty much stack her in a corner. In other words, unless things change drastically she's a nice little dolly that should pull in fat fees for years, and years, and years."

Costas hummed, looking thoughtful. Then he cleared his throat. "Is she... uh..."

Whyman nodded. "She'll make a perfect donor. She's healthy, and unlikely to raise any kind of fuss. We just have to be careful not to over do it."

"We always are."

END PART 25