Author: Anne Marsh

Title: Cycle

E-Mail: DanaksZoul@yahoo.com

PG

Fandom: The Odd Couple

Pairing: Oscar/Felix

Notes: A commemorative fic, noting the passing of the wonderful Tony Randal.

Archive: Please

Feedback: Please


Cycle
by Anne Marsh


"Pay attention." I said, shaking a finger at him. "I'm ignoring you."

I plopped down on the sofa with the sports section, intent on doing just that. He sniffed loudly.

"All right, if that's the way you're going to be."

I almost retorted, but then I remembered I was ignoring him. Completely.

Several loud sniffs punctuated my enjoyment of the paper. By the time I had finished with the sports section, he had progressed to the honking. The very loud honking.

I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of seeing me retreat to my room! No, that would be giving in, that would be un-ignoring him! I went over to the desk and started on next week's column, even though I'd just throw today's stuff out and start over later. I needed something to focus on. Something not Felix.

The honking stopped.

The clacking of the typewriter did not.

I hadn't written a column, though. I had written 'sdflhopo sdo-sogiodhhw sdoid-wq d werjlspawe[jwg slfs==slsdl sools soerhggg stupid felix why cant he just acknowledge the fact that im right for once and why doesheha ve to complain about my hurrnufrr', and some stuff that really wasn't fit to print.

"What do you want for dinner?" He asked. Not that I heard him.

I wrote some more, this time managing to avoid typing his name.

"Osc? Dinner?"

I just kept typing. Then I got up, walked past him to the fridge, got out the six pack of beer, and opened one without disconnecting them. I drank it by the typewriter, hammering away to avoid paying attention to him. If I looked up, I knew-- *knew*-- that he was going to look so pitiful I'd crack. Well, I'm not going to crack. Oscar Madison is not going to crack!

Maybe an hour passed. When I ran out of paper, I decided not to waste anymore, and read a book, or pretended to. I could hear Felix puttering around in the kitchen. Not that I noticed.

"I made your favourite."

Darn it, I could smell it. He *had* made my favourite.

"If you're trying to guilt trip me, Mister--" I started, striding over to him.

"Oh, Oscar!"

He threw his arms around me-- he was still wearing oven mits, for Pete's sake-- and I wondered what I did, because I was pretty sure I was yelling at him. He's screwy that way, though. Gets wierd moods.

"What? What? Get offa me, what?"

"You're not ignoring me anymore! Do you forgive me?"

"For what?"

He sighed, placing his oven mitted hands on hips. "That whole display, and you don't even remember why you were mad at me?"

"No, but I got a long list of suspects, Felix."

"But the important thing is, all is forgiven."

"If I knew what I was mad at you for, I could tell you."

It looked like he was wavering on that edge.

"Sure I forgive you, Felix."

He beamed at me, and we sat down to eat.

---/-/---

"Felix, would you cut that out?"

"It's a perfectly natural concern." He said huffily, sitting up and crossing his arms.

"Well, I'm trying to sleep. Be naturally concerned in the morning."

He sniffed. "Oscar, you are being very insensitive right now."

"Felix, pay attention." I fixed him with a stare. "I'm ignoring you."



~FINIS~