Title: The Voice Within

Author: Susan217

mccool21@yahoo.com

Pairing: Gibbs/DiNozzo

Rating: PG-13 (This may change with later chapters)

A/N: Thanks to merlin's sister for the beta.

Disclaimer: I don't own them. I never did. Just borrowing.


The Voice Within
by Susan217
*****


This day was shit. It was the only word that fitted Gibbs's mood and the way their current case was going. They had missed their mark by mere seconds, allowing him to get away for the third time this week. Gibbs knew he had the right man, but he had been unable to place him at any of the crime scenes. He was arguing with the FBI agent in charge, when he heard his cell phone ring and glanced at the caller ID. He was surprised to see Tony's number.

"Gibbs."

"Boss, you're not going to believe where I am. I am standing in Stewart's basement. He has a basement. I was thinking about our search and it came to me. Remember that rug that in the middle of the floor? There was a door underneath it."

Fear crawled up Gibb's spine. "What the hell do you think you're doing, DiNozzo?"

"Anyway, that's how I got here."

Gibb's tone had caught the attention of the rest of his team. "DiNozzo, I told you to stay at the office."

"I'm sorry, Boss. I had to go with my instincts on this one."

"Get your ass back there. You're not even supposed to be out of the office," he replied through clenched teeth.

"I told you I could find this guy's hide out. You just have to know where to look."

Kate reached for his phone. He relented hoping she could talk some sense into her friend.

"DiNozzo, this man is dangerous. He's unstable, and doesn't hesitate to kill. Get out of there before he returns."

"Kate, you wouldn't believe the stuff this guy has down here. You profilers would have a field day," he said, apparently unfazed by her words.

"Great, Tony. You can tell me all about it when you get back to the office," Kate said, before Gibbs grabbed the phone back.

"Listen to me, Tony. Leave now. I think he is on his way back there."

He could almost hear Tony's shrug. "Alright. You guys are a bunch of worry warts. I'll-"

The chatter stopped.

"Dinozzo?"

"Boss, I think he's home."

The phone clunked in his ear and he knew it had been dropped. "NCIS. Drop your weapon."

Two cracks and the phone line went dead.

**

The chair beside Tony's bed was digging into his lower back so he leaned forward to alleviate the pain. The constant beeping from the monitors was enough to drive any sane man over the edge, not that he felt that close to sanity. He stood and walked over to the windows, peaking through the blinds to look outside. The sun glared back at him and he winced. He quickly let the blind slide back into place. He glanced back at the bed and sighed. Tony had a habit of pulling his IV out in his sleep. A small pool of blood was gathered on the back of his hand. He'd also managed to again push the blankets that Gibbs had placed around him down around his waist.

He walked to the bed and tugged the blanket back into place. He couldn't bring himself to call the nurse back for the saline IV just yet. Tony's face would pain whenever it was placed into his arm. He hated that. Tony was in enough pain without the hospitals help.

Tony groaned in his sleep and he winced. The pale face furrowed and he lightly brushed his hand over Tony's forehead. Tony sighed but the furrow left his brow.

"Jethro, how is he?"

Gibbs jumped at the voice. Damn, he had to be distracted not to hear someone sneak up on him. He coughed lightly to cover his embarrassment. "Not much better than yesterday." He turned and looked at the doctor. " How long have you been there, Ducky?"

Ducky shrugged and went to the Doctor's chart at the end of the bed. "Your secret is safe with me." He moved to Tony's side and slid the IV back in.

Gibbs frowned. "What does the chart say?"

"He is improving. Slowly, but steadily."

Gibbs walked back to the uncomfortable chair and sat down. He shook himself trying to fight the weariness that was beginning to plague him. He'd been at Tony's side for four days and even the coffee wasn't helping anymore.

"Jethro, go home. Get some sleep. I will wait until you return."

He was already shaking his head. "I'm fine."

"I will call you if anything changes."

"It's not going to happen, Ducky."

Kate walked through the door. "You guys couldn't find a better place to argue?" She set a gym bag down in front of Gibbs.

"What is this?" he asked unzipping it. Inside were a towel and a change of his clothes.

"You really need to start locking your door," she said with a smile. "There is a private bathroom right there. I don't think Tony would object."

He grabbed the bag. "Thanks, Katie."

He stepped into the bathroom and started to close the door when Tony's voice stopped him.

"Boss?"

Gibbs hurried back to the bed.

"I'll get the doctor," Kate said and quickly headed out the door.

"Welcome back," he said, smiling.

"Gibbs," Tony said, and tried to sit up. "I'm sorry. Don't fire me."

"I'm not going to fire you."

"I was so dumb…"

The doctor walked in and he was quickly pushed to the side. He felt Ducky's hand grip his shoulder.




Chapter 2

He opened his eyes to find an intense blue gaze watching him worriedly. "Come on. We're here."

Tony blinked in surprise. He'd only closed his eyes for a moment and already they were back at Gibbs's house.

"Do you need help?"

Tony closed his eyes and tried to will up the strength to do this on his own, but couldn't. His leg was throbbing with every beat of his heart, and the pain in his chest was becoming more unbearable by the minute. "Yeah," he replied.

"Lean out," Gibbs ordered, and he did as instructed. A strong arm encircled around his waist and he was pulled out and propped against the door. Sweat stood out on his upper lip, and his face was beginning to feel flushed.

"Don't pass out on me just yet, Dinozzo." He gasped in surprise as he was thrown over a shoulder.

"I'll come back out after your chair in a minute," Gibbs said, his voice sounding a little strained. The ground passed by as he was hauled across the front yard and onto the front porch. He heard the door click open and a second later he was deposited on Gibbs couch. Gibbs helped turn him so that his leg was propped up on the pillow that had appeared at his side.

Tony took a deep breath and prayed that the pain would at least level out at a dull roar.

He watched through half-lidded eyes as Gibbs came and went. He briefly wondered when Gibbs had had time to pick up so many of his belongings. Every time he'd opened his eyes Gibbs had been somewhere near his bedside.

He awoke because the pain in his leg had steadily increased. Looking around he saw that a lamp had been left on low setting, and a few of the plants from his own house surrounded him. The dark curtains were drawn closed, but swaying from a light breeze outside. The familiar scent of sawdust and coffee immediately put him at ease.

Gibbs was sitting across from him watching him.

"Hey," Tony said his voice rough from sleep.

"Hey yourself," Gibbs replied. "You hungry?"

His stomach nearly rebelled at the thought of food. He scrunched his nose and shook his head no.

Gibbs shrugged absently and Tony blinked in shock. Gibbs looked exhausted. His clothes were rumpled, and his eyes had dark circles under them. He wasn't surprised. The man should be exhausted.

"You know you can catch a few hours sleep, Boss."

"I'll get some the next time you sleep," he said and stood. He disappeared into the kitchen. Tony heard the opening and closing of cabinets, and the sound of running water. A moment later Gibbs squatted down in front of him. He held out several pills and a glass of water.

"This will help with the pain," he said, and glanced at Tony's leg.

Tony took them without question but swallowed them dry.

"I need to check your bandages before you drift off," Gibbs said, and Tony nodded.

He flushed as Gibbs tugged on the end of his shirt. "I got it," he said, yanking it off.

He could almost have sworn Gibbs smirked, but dismissed the thought just as quickly.

Gibbs eyes swept over his chest. Tony swallowed audibly, and then closed his eyes hoping to retain some of his dignity. Rough fingers grazed over his stomach and the muscles tensed involuntarily. He clamped his teeth together.

"Relax, Dinozzo," Gibbs said. The breath from his words tickled his bare skin and he bit back a gasp.

The bandages were pulled back and a growl came from Gibbs.

"Everything OK?" he squeaked.

Gibbs eyes darted to his lips and then back up to meet his eyes again. "Looks good," Gibbs replied, standing abruptly. "It looks good so I'll wait to check your leg wound."

"Oh. OK."

"You're going to be a lot more comfortable upstairs. You think you can make it?"

His pride kicked in. He wasn't an invalid. "Of course I can make it upstairs." He swung his leg off the couch quickly. Pain swept up his leg. He grabbed his leg and tried to breathe evenly, waiting for it to calm down.

"Jesus, Tony. I didn't mean by yourself. If you were going to try to kill yourself you could at least have the decency to wait until you go home," Gibbs said, squatting again, and rubbing at Tony's calf. The soothing massage distracted his thigh long enough for him to manage the pain a little better.

"Boss, I don't know if I told you this already…"

Gibbs eyes lifted to his. Tony was surprised at the amount of open emotion he could see there.

"Anything for…" Gibbs started, but stopped and cleared his throat. He pushed up and stood. Tony looked up at him. "One of the team. Anything for one of the team."

Part 2

Gibbs lurked around and outside the bedroom, trying to stay calm every time Tony moaned or grunted with pain. When he finally peaked in he found a sleeping Tony. He couldn't help but smile. He'd never seen anyone who looked as pleased as Tony did to be asleep. The drugs had kicked in around an hour before and he was finally comfortable enough for a deep sleep.

He'd stuck Tony is his own room because of the attached bath. Tony wouldn't get very far by himself yet and he didn't want to worry about him stumbling down the hall. "This is going to be a long night," he thought as he rubbed his eyes. He was exhausted. He needed to make some more coffee. There was no way he'd be able to keep an eye on DiNozzo in the condition he was in.

His cell phone chirped downstairs and he quietly slipped down them to answer it.

"Gibbs."

"Hey, Gibbs. How's he doing?" Kate asked her voice full of concern.

"Tired. He's upstairs, asleep," he said as he moved into the kitchen. He walked to the coffee pot and dumped out the contents of the filter. He grabbed a new filter and began dishing out new grounds.

"Good. He needs his rest. I was meaning to ask…why is he staying with you? I know Tony has family."

Gibbs frowned. "I'll let Tony know you called. Is there anything else you needed?"

"I think we have a lead on Stewart," she replied never breaking stride in the conversation.

He tensed and squeezed the phone. "How good of a lead?" he asked, the coffee temporarily forgotten.

"I'm taking McGee and we're going to check it out."

Gibbs looked toward the stairs torn between taking care of Tony and finding the man who shot him. "Shit."

"We have it covered Gibbs. I just wanted to keep you in the loop."

He began dishing ground again. "I want to know every move that is made on this case. I don't care how insignificant it seems."

"You will be the first person I call."

"Make sure I am, Kate." He grabbed the pot and reached for the faucet.

"Gibbs?"

"Hmmm?" he asked, distractedly.

"You need to sleep. Making coffee so you can stay awake all night and stare at Tony isn't going to help either one of you."

The phone went dead in his ear. He sighed, turned and finished what he was doing. He switched the pot on and sat down to watch it perk.

"Yeah. But it's the only thing I can do," he answered, belatedly.

**

Tony woke slowly, but kept his eyes closed. His head felt funny, and his body was idling at its constant dull ache. The room smelled like sawdust, and it brought forth a small smile.

It smelled like Gibbs.

"What are you grinning about?" a gruff voice asked.

He opened his eyes to find Gibbs standing in the doorway, the ever present cup of coffee in his hands. His hair was wet from a recent shower, and he was wearing a white NCIS t-shirt and blue jeans. His feet were bare and tan, the worn edges of the light jeans showing off the contrast.

His heart constricted painfully in his chest, and he swallowed hoping to push unwanted thoughts from his mind. He started to reply smartly but stopped when he saw the TV sitting on top of the dresser. "Hey. You get another TV?"

"No. Just brought that one out of the basement."

"Wow. Thanks, Boss. You know if there is something you want to watch you can just crawl into bed with me," Tony said.

Gibbs' eyes darted to Tony's and then to the window behind the bed. "Thanks, but I'll pass."

He decided to pretend the answer didn't sting. "I could go for a bath," he said to change the subject.

"You're only allowed a sponge bath until that second wound on your chest starts to heal. You know what the doc said; speaking of…you need your meds. And Ducky is going to come by today. Look you over."

"I'm tired of sleeping, Gibbs. I don't want any more pain meds until I have to." He slowly put his feet over the edge, testing his weight on his feet. "I can't even stand my own smell. I need to change and bathe."

"Sponge-"

"I know, I know. I just can't stand this."

Gibbs moved to his side, and Tony put his weight against him. "Thanks."

"You know, brushing your teeth wouldn't hurt either."

Tony couldn't help the chuckle that escaped. Gibbs helped him into the bathroom, and sat him down on the toilet. His chest hurt mildly, but that was from using muscles that weren't in the mood to be used.

"I'll get you some clean clothes." Gibbs vanished out the door.

He was shocked to see a detachable shower head attached to the faucet. His favorite soap and shampoo sat on the edge, and even a lavender candle.

Gibbs reappeared in the doorway, carrying the clean clothes and a stool. He sat the stool down in the tub. "You need help getting in?"

He waved him off. "Umm…Boss? How did you…" He inclined his head toward the candle and coughed.

Gibbs shrugged. "One morning you came in early and I could smell it on your jacket. I assumed you'd draw the line at lotion and guessed candle."

A warm feeling spread into his stomach. "I can't believe you remembered that," he said quietly.

Gibbs, who had been setting Tony's clothes on the counter, froze. He quickly resumed what he was doing and walked back out into the bedroom. "Call me if you need me," he tossed over his shoulder.

"Wait! Gibbs!" He was gone. Tony growled and scrubbed his hands over his face. "I can't do a damned thing right around you."

**

He was exhausted after his shower. Every muscle was aching and the pain in his leg was bordering on torture.

He did this to himself. None of this would be happening if he hadn't been so damned impetuous. He'd been told that his whole life, that someday he was going to get hurt, but it had never even slowed him down.

The thought made him wince. He knew why he was here. His family really had no interest in taking care of him. His father had called once while he was in the hospital, and his mother had sent a get well card. It wasn't the first time no one had wanted him around.

He'd been unsure of where he would stay when he left the hospital until Gibbs had shown up on his release date.

He winced as he pulled the shirt down over his tender chest and nearly cried out, but bit the inside of his cheek to prevent it.

His face felt flushed and his energy was draining by the moment. All he wanted was a pain pill and a three day nap. That was all. He forced himself to his feet, stopping to lean against the counter.

The door swung open and Gibbs enfolded him in his arms. He leaned heavily against the warmth.

"I told you to call me if you needed me, DiNozzo," he said, and gently helping him onto the bed.

"Gibbs, I'm really tired," he said, not bothering to fight off a yawn.

Gibbs smiled down at him and Tony frowned. "You're turn. What are you grinning about?"

Gibbs didn't answer and Tony felt himself drifting off into sleep. He fought against the feeling and tried to sit up.

"Boss, thanks for taking care of me. I know my family-they're ok, just…I've put them through a lot…"

"Shhh. Sleep, buddy." Gibbs' voice was quiet, but offered no room for argument.

Tony closed his eyes and concentrated on the feeling of his hair being smoothed back by a gentle hand. His last thought was of the soft kiss that graced his brow, and that perhaps he was wanted after all.

END PART 2 (was labeled 3)