Title: To Feel His Touch Again

Author: Susan Anthony

(LdyGossamer@aol.com)

Pairing: Ardeth/Rick

Archive: http://www.geocities.com/area51/keep/8613/artists.html, anyone else, just ask

Rating: NC17

Spoilers: some for The Mummy Returns

Summary: Ardeth knows the true meaning of Imhotep's words, 'For our love is a true love, an eternal love, our souls mated, together as one, 'forever' Feedback: Very welcome.

Notes: a bit inspired by Black Rose's 'Another Place' but more inspired by a way to get around that whole married-to-Evie thing. What *was* Rick thinking?

More Notes: thanks for the beta Maig!

Warnings: M/M relationship

Disclaimer: Ardeth, O'Connell, Evie and the creature are not mine.


To Feel His Touch Again
By Susan Anthony

Ardeth Bay stood at the prow of the ridiculous floating contraption O'Connell had found for their use and stared into the night. A dirigible, the man had said. Insanity is what Ardeth considered the thing as his hands tightened on the wooden railing that was the only thing between himself and a 400 foot drop to the ground. But at least it moved quickly and they would have a chance to catch up to the creature. From Karnac to Aida Philai and now to Abu Simbal.

The creature. Would the thing never die? The Med-Jai chieftain ground his teeth as he considered the chaos Imhotep had caused not only in this life but in his previous one. Evelyn O'Connell's visions only confirmed to her what her past life had been. Ardeth had always seen his own past life clearly and her part in it. And O'Connell's.

Ardeth's hands tightened further and he glanced upwards to the skies. Why had this happened again?

Light footsteps coming towards him drew his gaze down again but he already knew who it was; Evelyn O'Connell. She, who he had once been an Egyptian princess. She, whom he had served loyally. She, who had repaid him by taking the only thing he had ever considered precious in his life.

"Ardeth Bay," she greeted him, her voice low. It was the first time she had approached him alone since her visions on their way to Karnac.

"Evelyn O'Connell," he responded in a respectful if somewhat strained tone. She had done nothing to him in this life and O'Connell loved her well.

"Maekherure."

Ardeth glanced sharply at her and couldn't help the snarl that left his lips around her name, "Nefertiri."

"Are you going to try to take him from me?" she asked in a vaguely curious tone, as though the possibility was so remote that she only asked from politeness.

"He has a family, a son to be proud of." The Med-Jai looked back at the stars. "I will not interfere. He knows nothing else and is happy in the life he has found."

"It is a life he *chose*, Med-Jai" Evy replied in a hard tone.

"How can you choose if you only have one choice?"

Evy's dark eyes narrowed. "*He* asked *me* to marry him!"

Ardeth merely looked at her. "Before or after the child was conceived?"

"Rick *loves* me!" The woman's voice was harsh.

"He does indeed, Evelyn O'Connell, which is why I will not interfere." He looked away again, into the quiet night. "Would that you had given me the same consideration."

"Sekani chose freely enough."

"You would have to be a fool to believe that, Nefertiri," Ardeth said, turning fully to her. "The Med-Jai are raised with honor and duty. At that time, they were devoted to the Pharaoh. How much of a choice was it to a young man raised with such ethics, bound to the family of the Pharaoh, then presented with a duty by a grieving princess to stand by her as she takes the throne?" The man glared down into her eyes. "You knew exactly what you were doing when you took him from me. You knew exactly how to do it."

"He became Pharaoh! He had power, wealth, a son who would follow him to the throne!" Evelyn's voice was a low growl. "I gave him *everything*!"

"Sekani was a Med-Jai first, Nefertiri. Those things were meaningless to him," Ardeth answered calmly. "You took away everything of meaning from him when you bound him to your body."

"You don't know of what you speak, Med-Jai," she hissed. "Once you left the capital, we had a long life together. He never left my side!"

"Until your death," Ardeth stated quietly.

"Not even then!"

The Med-Jai looked at her a long moment, deciding if he should correct her. Evelyn took his silence as her victory and gave him a smug smile.

"Sekani choose *me*."

"Until your death, Nefertiri," the man stated again. "Only your younger children followed you into that tomb. After your death, Akhenaten took his throne and Sekani returned to the Med-Jai with his youngest son. When it was his time to die, Sekani was given a tomb of honor in their holy place. Beside Maekherure."

Evelyn paled as she stared into Ardeth's face. "You lie."

"'For our love is a true love, an eternal love, our souls mated, together as one, 'forever'." The Med-Jai's voice was soft as he touched his heart. "The Creature spoke those words, I know you heard them, but it has no conception of their true meaning or it would not try so hard to cheat death and the lifetimes beyond it. Mated souls will find each other again and again."

The woman's lips were pressed together in anger as she glared at the tall warrior. "Rick is *mine*," she snapped.

"Yes, he is," came the calm reply. "Now." Ardeth's eyes bored into hers with such intensity that she could hardly hold his gaze. "Love him well in this lifetime, Nefertiri," he said in a quiet voice, "for you will never get another with him. I swear it."

Evelyn O'Connell stared at him a moment longer before she turned and stalked towards the back of the craft, where Ardeth knew her husband would be waiting. He turned back to the stars before him and asked the silent gods why he had to watch this again.

*

Days later, Ardeth Bay rode into the Med-Jai encampment with a weary sigh. Once he was certain O'Connell and his son were safe, he had followed the floating ship at a distance until they had made it safely to the nearest town. Then he had said goodbye with his eyes alone as he watched Evelyn shepherd her husband and son away. Even as they disappeared into the busy village, he knew he would never see O'Connell again, Evelyn would make certain of that.

Msrah waited with the remaining Chieftains and they bowed respectfully as he dismounted.

"They are safely gone?" Msrah asked as Ardeth led them into a large tent. The men settled on the ground around a small table, each looking over the newest arrival intently.

"Yes and will not return."

"I believe that was said that last time the American was here," another voice pointed out carefully.

Ardeth met his eyes calmly. "But I did not say it." He glanced away as servants brought sweet water to drink. He reached out calmly to take a long sip before setting the cup down. "The woman will not allow her husband to return to Egypt. She knows he would not leave again were she to try."

"Is it true that the American bore our mark?" Msrah asked quietly.

Ardeth merely nodded. "His was the hand that destroyed the Scorpion King with the scepter of Osiris and saved our warriors from the Army of Anubis. Though every warrior who stood before that black wave coming down upon us has earned much honor."

"The army is no more?"

"Dissolved back into the black sands," Ardeth responded, running a hand through his hair. "Now if you would not mind, my friends, I would like to rest. It has been a long month and I am weary."

"Of course," Msrah said as the others rose and departed the tent. "We will speak more on the morrow. A tent and a bath have been prepared for you."

The younger Med-Jai gave his friend a faint grin. "Thank you, Msrah. As always, you anticipate my needs."

The older man gripped his companion's shoulder briefly before leaving the tent. Ardeth followed slowly, asking to be guided to his tent, where he spent a long time in the cool water of the tub. He made an effort not to think as he rose, dried himself off and dressed in the robes left for him. Then he stared at the sleeping pallet laid out on the ground. As weary as he was, he just didn't think he could sleep for the moment. Instead, he wandered into the night, listening to the wind singing in the palm trees. Finally, he found himself on the edge of the lush oasis and he dropped to his knees in the sand.

Without conscious thought, the Med-Jai raised his hands and sent thanks to his gods for the safe delivery of his people and his world from the Armies of Anubus, from the Scorpion King as well as from He Who Must Not Be Named. He also sent the hope and wish that his people would dwell in peace for a time to recover from their losses. Finally, thanks for the safety of Rick O'Connell surfaced in his thoughts. With Rick's image in his mind, gratitude for his survival poured forth along with the longing and empty sadness he felt at knowing he would never see the man again.

*Med-Jai,* a voice whispered in his mind. *Champion of the Med-Jai, worthy servant of the Gods, your thanks have been accepted and your petitions granted.*

Ardeth slowly opened his eyes to find himself not kneeling in the sand but on shining tiles before a tall, radiantly beautiful woman dressed in the graceful raiment of an age not seen in Egypt in thousands of years. She watched him with golden eyes and a sensual smile

"Blessed Isis," the Med-Jai breathed before he knelt with his forehead touching the cool tiles.

*Rise up, Champion of the Med-Jai,* she commanded and Ardeth stood, keeping his eyes low in respect. *You have served us well and have vexed Anubis, greatly.* He couldn't help but glance up to see a mischievous smile on that eternally beautiful face. *In return, we have heard your pleas. Your people will dwell in peace and prosper for centuries to come though in the next decade you will need to be on guard against those who would subdue your lands.*

"We will guard as always, lady," Ardeth promised. "Egypt shall not fall."

*In time, the Med-Jai will become the right hand of the Rulers of the Nile once more should you wish to take on that mantle.*

Ardeth wasn't quite certain how to respond to that comment so he remained silent.

*But there is one thing we are unable to understand, Ardeth Bay,* the goddess continued. *The one called O'Connell - you give thanks for his survival, you glow with the love of his soul and yet you allowed him to leave. Why did you not keep him by your side?*

"He is married, Great One," the Med-Jai said, his voice quiet. "He has a son and a wife he loves. It would not be fair for me to keep him from them."

*And yet you are soul mates. Why did you not fight for him?*

Ardeth Bay considered how to explain the complications of O'Connell's relationship and culture to an ancient Egyptian goddess. He finally looked up at her.

"Will you allow me to show you, Lady of Egypt?" he asked as he centered his thoughts on Rick O'Connell and his family.

*Show me then, Champion.*

Every image that Ardeth had of Rick flowed forth: O'Connell comforting his wife, holding her close, of his daring death itself to save her from the creature, of his obsession with getting his son back safely, all of his thoughts consumed by his family with just enough left over to find a
strong friendship with Ardeth but nothing more.

"He would not have thanked me for tearing him from the family he has found and defied death to keep," Ardeth finally said roughly, moisture burning in his eyes but held firmly back.

*You are right, Champion of the Med-Jai. I am sorry for I feel your soul's pain.* An expression of compassion filled her golden eyes. *You have suffered much in our service, Ardeth Bay. Is there nothing we can do to make this right?*

The Med-Jai looked up, his dark eyes hopeful. "Great One, I know that he is gone from me in this time but in the next life I would like to know he will be with me."

The goddess looked troubled. *It is clear you carry a part of his soul and he has a part of yours yet he has twice been torn from you by Fate. I do not know if I could guarantee her cooperation in such a request. Indeed, there should be no need for such a guarantee. Your souls should find each other effortlessly.*

"Yet we do not," Ardeth stated, dropping his eyes to the tiles. "And that is the only thing I would ask, Lady."

*Despair not, Champion,* Isis gently reproved. *I did not say there was no other way to accomplish your petition.* She reached out and raised his gaze to her own. He looked up at her with a weary expression in his eyes. *You are his anchor, Ardeth Bay. He finds his way to you but you do not seem to see each other until it is too late.* Carefully, she touched his eyes and then his forehead before running her fingertips over the tattoos adorning his face. *But you see clearly now, do you not? Will you wait for him?*

"Wait for him?" The Med-Jai didn't understand her meaning.

Isis passed her delicate fingers over his face again and then stepped back. Her eyes focused on his and held them. *We can grant you the dubious gift of immortality, Ardeth Bay. You will not age, you will not die, you will wait with your people until the soul of Sekani finds his way to you again.* She reached out and touched his eyelids again. *With your eyes open, you will know him and be able to act.*

"How long?" came the whispered question.

*The Pharaohs will return to the Nile before Sekani returns but he WILL make his way back to you, Ardeth Bay, have no fear. As long as your heart remains steadfast, the time will not go by slowly.* She gazed at him with a half-smile. *You may steady yourself with your people as you
need but you will not love another until you hold Sekani in your arms again.*

Ardeth felt his heart lighten for a moment before he considered. "When he finds me, will I begin to age again?"

*From the moment your bodies become one, you will age again with Sekani by your side. This is our promise to you, a long and prosperous life between you.*

"Thank you, Great One, my most humble and honored thanks," the Med-Jai stated, bowing his head.

*You may curse me before your wait is finished, Champion of the Med-Jai, but I can see your heart is hopeful enough to outlast the years.* Isis leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on the man's forehead. *Sleep and be refreshed and ready for your wait to begin on the morrow. Tonight you will dream of your reward.*

Ardeth closed his eyes and fell into a soothing darkness. He was soon awakened, however with the press of lips against his own and the breath of his lover against his cheek.

"Will you sleep the night away, my Maekherure?' a teasing voice whispered in his ear. "Or shall we make a better use of the hours before dawn?"

Ardeth opened his eyes to meet the sensual green gaze of his lover leaning down beside him. The younger man grinned as he leaned over to lay gentle kisses on his lover's forehead.

"Sekani," he breathed as his arms wound around the firm body and pulled it down beside him for a long, deep kiss.

Eventually Sekani pulled away, his breathing unsteady as he pressed his body against his lover. "My Maekherure," he sighed. "I have only been gone a few weeks and yet every moment was spent with you in my heart." Sekani reached up to trace the lines of his lover's face. "I feel as if
centuries have passed instead of weeks."

"Do not think of that now, my young hawk," came the whispered reply as Maekherure ran his hands over the tanned skin of his lover. "Think only of how I rejoice to have you back at my side." His fingers easily found the hard flesh of his lover's regard and firmly caressed it, bringing a cry to Sekani's lips.

"Maekherure!" the younger Med-Jai cried as he pressed into those fingers. "Gods, how I've missed you!"

Maekherure rolled so that he covered his lover with his body, moving slowly, feeling every inch of Sekani's skin beneath him. Sekani's green eyes opened as he looked up into his chieftain's face in the pre-dawn light that filtered through their window.

Sekani's grandmother had given him those eyes, Maekherure remembered, as he caressed the younger man's face. A captive slave who was the beloved of a Med-Jai chief, a proud woman with blazing red hair and Nile green eyes. She had given her chieftain many strong sons, all of whom were given the mark of the Med-Jai. And from one of those sons came Sekani, the joyful one, a Med-Jai born with the mark already on his wrist, selected by the Gods themselves.

Now Sekani's smile spread over his handsome face as he arched his body under his lover's. "Did you miss me then, my proud chieftain?" he asked, his tone mischievous but his eyes questioning. Maekherure knew his lover was still uncertain, still did not completely understand why Maekherure had chosen him of all the tribes to take as a lover.

"I missed you as the desert misses the rain, my Sekani," Maekherure murmured as he leaned down to caress his lover's lips with his own. "As the flower misses the bee..."

"As the stallion misses his rider?" his lover added with a smirk and then a groan as Maekherure pressed his body closer and nipped at his lips. "I am so empty without you. Fill me again," the younger Med-Jai pleaded as he arched underneath his chieftain's body.

"Gladly, my sekhem, my soul," Maekherure whispered and their bodies moved as one, surrounding each other with soft words and cries of delight, feelings of desire and promises of forever.

But as the sunlight spilled into the room, Maekherure found his arms around a slightly smaller form, a young man of not more than twenty seasons with lightened brown hair and Sekani's Nile green eyes that held the merest shades of gold. Those eyes were staring up at him in amazed
pleasure as his kiss-swollen mouth cried out from a deep thrust into his body and he came, pulling his lover over the edge with him as their fingers twined together.

Maekherure pulled his young lover close. "Are you all right, my sekhem?" he whispered into the soft hair, blenched so light by the sun. "Did I hurt you?"

"No Ardeth, never," the young man replied softly, an odd accent to his words as he curled around his lover. "You could never hurt me. You complete me."

"As you complete me," Ardeth Bay replied and then opened his eyes to the rising sun, still kneeling on the sands on the edge of the oasis where his Med-Jai were encamped. His body was singing with the feel of his lost lover's touch as he forced himself to stand.

Despite the fact that he'd knelt here in the sands all night, his body felt refreshed and his heart was light. "Thank you, Great One," he whispered with a low bow to the rising sun. "I would wait forever to feel his touch again."

END