My Special Angel

by Tanith

ardethsmistress@hotmail.com

Fandom: The Mummy Returns/The Professionals

Disclaimer - I own no-one, Steve Sommers does

Pairing - Jonathan/Ardeth

Summery - This is a sort of Professionals/Mummy crossover story where Ardeth and Jonathan work for CI5 and Cowley.

Note: This is a modified story that I wrote a couple of years ago.

DiscalimerHas some lyrics from The Vogues that go with the story.

YOU ARE MY SPECIAL ANGEL, SEND FROM UP ABOVE
THE LORD SMILED DOWN ON ME AND SENT AN ANGEL TO LOVE
YOU ARE MY SPECIAL ANGEL, RIGHT FROM PARADISE
I KNOW THAT YOU'RE AN ANGEL, HEAVEN IS IN YOUR EYES
THE SMILE FROM YOUR LIPS BRINGS THE SUMMER SUNSHINE
THE TEARS FROM YOUR EYES BRINGS THE RAIN
YOU ARE MY SPECIAL ANGEL THROUGH ETERNITY
I'LL HAVE MY SPECIAL ANGEL, HERE TO WATCH OVER ME
I FEEL YOUR TOUCH, YOUR WARM EMBRACE
AND I'M IN HEAVEN AGAIN
YOU ARE MY SPECIAL ANGEL THROUGH ETERNITY
I HAVE MY SPECIAL ANGEL, HERE TO WATCH OVER ME
YOU ARE MY SPECIAL ANGEL THROUGH ETERNITY
I HAVE MY SPECIAL ANGEL HERE TO WATCH OVER ME


My Special Angel
by Tanath

The bullets whizzed past Ardeth as he watched Jonathans back. Swinging round, he fired his gun in rapid succession, the man fell in a pool of blood.

Jonathan ran over to Ardeth, who could see by his face that he was fuming.

"Bloody Cowley, he told us there were two, not fucking four"

"How many did you get?"

"One, you?"

"I got two of them, the other ran over there, he'll be long gone" replied Ardeth getting his breathe back.

They left the police to clear up and headed for the car. All the way back to Cowleys office, Jonathan ranted.

"For Gods sake, shut up" yelled Ardeth. "If you want to carry on, do it to Cowley not me"

"Oh thanks mate, it's ok when I have to listen to you. You never know when to shut up"

"Me, how can you say that?"

"What about last week, when you tripped and fell down that hill, chasing that bloke, all I heard for the next hour was you. And the language"

"Well, I hurt my bloody ankle, didn't I?"

"But an hour, no wonder no-one will marry you, would kill you in a week"

"Well I don't see the church waving at you either, sunshine"

Jonathan couldn't help smiling at Ardeth. It was strange but arguing with Ardeth always relaxed him and he couldn't stay angry for long.

"What you grinning at?" asked Ardeth.

"Nothing, you're good for me sunshine, I can't stay annoyed at you for long"

"Well I'm a very calm person" he replied smirking.

By the time they got to Cowleys, they were both giggling. But Jonathan still wanted to give Cowley a piece of his mind.

"We could have got ourselves killed today" he shouted at Cowley "You should have known there were four of them"

"Finished Jonathan" said Cowley.

"Sir!"

"Our information was, 2 bank robbers, came from a good source. We didn't know about the other two. How many did you get?"

"Three Sir" said Ardeth "One got away"

"Description?"

"No Sir, but I'd say early 30's, white, about 6ft, athletic type. Couldn't see his face, had a mask on."

"Do we have ID on the others?"

"Yes, a man called Johnson, he was the leader. Peterson, he carried the shotgun and the 3rd man was called Hall, nothing known about him" said Jonathan.

"Alan Hall?" questioned Cowley.

"Yes Sir" replied Ardeth.

"When was the last time you got acquainted with up to date files, Jonathan, Ardeth"

"Must admit, about 6 months ago" said Jonathan.

"Well, should look more often. Alan Hall is known to us. Involved in most of the uprising in South Africa. Settled here 2 years ago. Involved in several Nazi matches etc. Got a record as long as your arm. Apparently has it in for any ex merc and authority in general"

"Well, he's dead now" said Ardeth sarcastically.

"Yes but his brother isn't. Peter Hall, just as nasty. From how you describe the other man who ran, it was Peter"

"Can't we just pick him up?" asked Jonathan.

"Not a chance, no-one knows where he lives, goes to ground as soon as something goes down. But and this is important. When he finds out who shot his brother, he'll come after them. And he won't care how. Which one of you shot him?"

"I did" said Jonathan.

"Then you've to watch yourself till we can find him. We also know he prefers men to women. So the gay bars will be one of the first places to check"

"Oh great" said Ardeth "Do we have too?"

"Yes Ardeth you do and make it look good. What are you smirking at Jonathan?"

"Nothing Sir. What do we do when we find him?"

"Bring him in. But as I said, be careful. Here's his photo"

"Oh well, have to brush up our charm" said Jonathan "Come on"

As he and Ardeth left, Cowley called after them. They peered round the door.

"And if you could avoid getting yourself killed, I'd be grateful"

"Yes Sir" they said in unison.

That night Jonathan went over to Ardeths flat and rang the bell. Ardeth shouted to let himself in as he was in the bathroom.

Entering Jonathan poured himself a scotch and sat on the sofa to wait. Ardeth came out of the bathroom about 10 minutes later and Jonathans mouth dropped.

"Good God Ardeth, you're not going out like that are you?"

"What's wrong?"

He was wearing a black pair of flairs, red silk shirt, rolled up at the cuffs and a black denim jacket to match the trousers. The shirt was unbuttoned to just above his belt. Jonathan just looked.

"I said what's wrong with it?"

"Nothing, but you should carry a government health warning dressed like that. What are you trying to do, get raped?"

"What' ya mean, get raped?" asked Ardeth innocently.

"Ardeth it's a gay bar. I wanted to have a few drinks, look for Hall and then leave. I didn't want to have to protect your arse"

"Don't worry about me, I'll be alright"

"God" thought Jonathan, he'd need protecting from him. He could feel the ache in his groin at the sight of Ardeth. But he knew he wouldn't be interested. Would probably shoot Jonathan himself if he knew what he was thinking. They had better get out of there before Jonathan raped him, himself.

Ardeth saw a glint in Jonathans eyes but dismissed it as quickly. He had always fancied Jonathan and if he ever wanted a man, it was him. But he knew Jonathan was a dangerous man at the best of times, if he knew what Ardeth was thinking he'd be dead. He had dressed to impress and so far it was working. He noticed the look in Jonathans eyes but then Jonathan always mucked about.Never took anything serious except his job. If only...

"Come on let's get this over and get back to normal" said Jonathan opening the door. He couldn't resist patting Ardeths bum as he left. But he did that anyway, even in the office. It was a mutual thing, for years they had been partners and friends. Friends did much around, nothing was ever meant by it. Little did Ardeth know.Within 3 hours, they had been to 4 bars, no sign of Hall. But they were squiffy by now and relaxed. Jonathan got two more drinks and sat down. He would have relaxed more if he hadn't got his gun in
his holster. Ardeth would rather have his jacket off but couldn't for the same reason.

They both got passes that night, Ardeth more but for obvious reasons. Jonathan draped an arm round his shoulder. Thinking he's pull away, he was surprised when he didn't.

"Wondered how long it would take you" said Ardeth.

"What do you mean?" asked Jonathan

"Well if people think we are a couple, they won't bother us"

"True I suppose" he said watching some of the couples dancing. "Fancy a dance?"

"Could give it a try but no slow ones" said Ardeth.

"Aw spoilsport" said Jonathan looking upset.

They danced for about 20 minutes then they sat down, knackered.

"Ardeth look at the bar, isn't that Hall?"

Ardeth looked over and saw a man standing there watching them and he nodded to Jonathan. The man finished his drink and left. They followed him. But he was too quick and had gone by the time they pushed through the crowd and got to the door.

"Well, he obviously knows who killed his brother" said Ardeth "The way he looked at you"

"Yeah" said Jonathan "Let's go home, we'll come back tomorrow"

There was a tone to his voice that Ardeth hadn't heard for a long time. Jonathan was scared but he shrugged it off as usual."Coming up for a drink" said Ardeth when they got to his flat.

"Yeah why not"

As they opened the door, their sixth sense told them something was wrong. Both pulled out their guns and crept in. Suddenly Ardeth moaned and crumpled to the floor as someone hit him from behind the door.

"ARDETH" yelled Jonathan as he tried to run to his mate.But a gun was shoved in his throat which brought him to a halt.

"Don't even think about it" said Hall "Leave him, it's you I want"

He marched him back out of the door, down the stairs and as they reached the car, Hall hit him over the back of the head. Out cold, Hall bundled him into the car and drove off.

Ardeth came round with a bump on his head. He staggered to the phone and rang Cowley at home, he wouldn't like it, it was after midnight.

"Hello, who the hell is that?"

"Ardeth...Jonathan...been..kidnapped"

Ardeth just managed to tell him before passing out.

"Ardeth, ARDETH"

The line was silent. Jumping up, Cowley grabbed his coat and put it on over his pyjamas and raced out of the door.

"Cowley to control, damn answer"

"Control Mr Cowley"

"Get an ambulance over to Ardeths, I'll meet it there"

In fact Cowley arrived before the ambulance and he raced up the stairs, wincing at the pain in his leg. He rushed into Ardeths flat. Ardeth Ardeth was laying on the floor, still holding onto the phone. Cowley took it and put it back and then knelt beside him and
felt for a pulse.

Just then the ambulance men came in.

"Quick, help him"

They put him in the ambulance and Cowley went with him to the hospital. An hour later Ardeth came round and saw Cowley standing by the window.

"Jonathan!"

"It's alright laddie, I have everyone looking for him, now what happened?"

Ardeth told him what had gone down. Then he started to get out of bed.

"Stay there Ardeth, you can leave in the morning"

"But I have to find Jonathan" he yelled. "And you won't stop me"

Cowley knew there was more to Ardeth and Jonathans relationship than they let on. He also knew as soon as his back was turned, Ardeth would leave.

"Okay but you stay with me, we'll find him together"

"Thank you Sir"

He helped Ardeth to the car, his head was killing him and he had a bump the size of a golfball on the back. They went back to the office first and into Cowleys office. Ardeth was still feeling a bit dizzy so Cowley gave him a scotch.

"Pure malt, do you good, get it down you lad. Now let's find out where Hall has taken Jonathan"

*

Hall drove for about 3 miles and stopped at a disused warehouse. Getting out, he pulled Jonathan from the car and carried him into the warehouse and tied him up by the old grinder. In it's heyday, the warehouse ground grain into floor and supplied the whole area but it had long since been closed and was due for demolition in a few days.

If Hall didn't get what he wanted, instead of killing Jonathan quickly he would leave him to the demolition men. Either way Jonathan was going to die. He wanted revenge for his dead brother and authority didn't bother him in the slightest. He'd kill anyone who got in the way.

Jonathan came round to a cold, damp place, his hands were tied behind his back, his feet were tied to his hands so he couldn't move. His head hurt and he wondered where he was.

"Well so my brothers killer is awake"

"What the hell do you want and what did you do to Ardeth?"

"Oh your mate will be alright, headache, no more, he's not important. But you, I'm going to make you suffer for what you did to my brother"

"Your brother was scum and you're no better" growled Jonathan his temper flaring.

Hall backhanded him and blood trickled from the corner of Jonathans mouth.

"Shut up, you know nothing about my brother, he was good to me "

"Yeah, and a bastard to everyone else"

Jonathan knew he should keep his mouth shut but his reckless nature and the fact Hall had hurt Ardeth got the better of him."I'm warning you, one more word and I'll shoot you. Not dead but maybe a leg or an arm so you can suffer. Don't think I won't" Jonathan continued to taunt Hall even though his conscious told him not too. Hall pulled out his gun and fired.

"Aahhh" gasped Jonathan.

Blood poured from the wound in his leg and slowly Jonathan passed out with the pain.

*

"Find out anything Ardeth?" asked Cowley.

"Not much, couple of addresses to check"

Ardeth put his head down and sighed. "Where is he Sir?"

"We'll find him Laddie"

Ardeth had wanted him for years but didn't dare tell him. Every time Jonathan muched around touching his shoulder, his bum, Ardeth wanted to grab him and love him. But he knew Jonathan would kill him if he tried.

Ardeth knew something was wrong now, they had become one in many ways, knowing each others moves, thoughts, moods. He just had the feeling that Jonathan was out there, somewhere, hurt and needing him.

He was jarred from his thoughts by the phone ringing. Cowley answered it.

"Where's Jonathan?" yelled Cowley.

At that Ardeth jumped up, Cowley put the speaker phone on so they could both hear the conversation.

"He's alive, at the moment. I want a ticket out of this country and amunity from any prosecution or he dies, either quickly or slowly, I don't care"

"You've got it, when and where" said Cowley.

"The old warehouse by the docks, the flour mill, 4pm. Come alone. Any police, he dies"

With that the phone went dead. Ardeth was on his way out of the door when Cowley stopped him.

"No Ardeth we plan this carefully, if we rush in we lose Jonathan"

"But you're not going to give him what he wants?"

"As far as he is concerned yes, but as soon as he appears, a marksman will have him"

"But he said come alone. You can't risk Jonathans life, let me go in, on my own"

"No, Murphy and Jaz will be on the roof of the building opposite. I know these warehouses, they can get in from the other side. Hall will never see them. Trust me Ardeth, Jonathan will be alright"

"He's better be or I won't be responsible for what happens to you --- SIR"

Cowley fumed at this remark but decided not to say anything. He knew how they felt about each other as partners, he have a go at Ardeth later.

"Let's go Ardeth"

*

Jonathan was fighting to stay conscious, his head throbbed, he could feel warm liquid running down his leg.Knowing it was blood, he tried to keep still, he was so cold and he knew shock and blood loss would kill him before Hall if help didn't come son.

"Find me Ardeth please" he whispered.

Hall came back and told him that if Cowley brought what he had asked for by 4pm, he would be gone and then it was up to them to find him.

He knew Jonathan wouldn't survive another few hours without help. But he didn't care. He'd made Jonathan suffer, he wasn't really a coldblooded killer like his brother or he'd have killed Jonathan long before this. He just wanted to be out of England, Africa would be glad of his services. An hour to go.

*

At 4pm, Cowley got out of his car and walked towards the warehouse, Murphy and Jaz were on the roof, 500 yards away with a clear shot of the door. Ardeth had gone round the back of the warehouse, hoping to get in that way, while Hall was occupied with
Cowley.

"HALL" shouted Cowley "HALL"

Hall looked through a broken window and saw Cowley standing there on his own.

"Keep your hands in your pockets" shouted Hall "You on your own?"

"Yes, get on with it Hall, I want Jonathan"

Hall came out and with a gun pointing at Cowley, walked over to him. Suddenly a shot rang and Hall fell to the ground, firing his gun as he went but missing Cowley by yards.

Leaving him, Cowley ran into the warehouse.

Ardeth had found a door at the back which was open.He crept in and then hearing Hall shouting at Cowley, made his way into the main part of the warehouse. He saw Jonathan lying on the floor by the grinding wheel. He ran over and slid to his knees beside his
partner.

"Jonathan, Jonathan" he said quietly.

"Ardeth...is that you?" said Jonathan weakly.

"'cause it's me, are you hurt"

"Yeah, my leg, he shot me, it's - hurts.."

He blacked out again.

At that moment Ardeth herd a shot and then Colwey came running in

"Ardeth, Jonathan"

"Over here" shouted Ardeth "Get an ambulance fast.

"Cowley to control, ambulance, the old flour warehouse NOW"

Ardeth cradled Jonathan in his arms, he was shivering from cold and loss of blood.

"Hang in there Jonathan mate, won't be long"

Without realising it, Ardeth had tears running down his face.

Cowley noticed but didn't say anything. He knew that he was seeing a new side to Ardeth, he had let his guard down a bit and nothing but love radiated from him for this man who was his partner.

Later that night, Jonathan had been operated on to get the bullet out of his leg and was in a room recovering. The doctor had said he could leave the next day, if someone looked after him.

"Ardeth will do that" said Cowley "Won't you Ardeth"

"Yes Sir no problem"

"I don't need a nurse maid" said Jonathan drowsily not long awake.

"Tough Jonathan" replied Cowley "It's either that or you stay here for a week"

They had to leave so Jonathan could get some sleep. Cowley wanted a report off Ardeth and he wanted a word with him.

"Take it easy Jonathan, see you tomorrow" said Ardeth.

"Thanks Ardeth, for coming to get me"

"Where else would I be"

Cowley and Ardeth finished about 10pm and Ardeth put his jacket on to go home.

"Ardeth a minute please"

"Sir"

"You have to tell Jonathan how you feel"

"Sir!"

"I saw the tears at the warehouse and how you were holding Jonathan, you're in love with him aren't you"

"I don't know what you mean?" snapped Ardeth.

"Ach laddie, I may be old but I'm not a fool. I know love when I see it. And before you jump off the handle let me tell you something I've never told anyone before. Do you remember agent Hamill, he died before you and Jonathan joined but I am sure you have
heard the stories about him"

"Yes Sir he was one of the best, got blown up on a raid in 68"

"That's right Ardeth, 34 years old but he and I, we were lovers for 8 years. We kept it quiet of course, head of CI5, gay and sleeping with one of his agents. The government wouldn't have liked it and it wasn't legal then"

"You- gay?"

"Yes Ardeth, me, the young don't have a monopoly on it you know. All I'm saying is tell Jonathan. I'm sure he feels the same way about you. All I ask is that you be careful"

Ardeth had sat down and helped himself to a scotch.

"I'm scared Sir, I don't think Jonathan does feel the same. I don't want to lose him"

"Life is too short Ardeth especially in our line of work. Grab happiness and love while you can. Now get out of here"

Ardeth saw tears glistening in Cowleys eyes, he was obviously thinking about Hamill. As he opened the door.

"Sir, do you have anyone now?"

"No laddie, I still love Hamill, I always will"

"Will you be alright Sir"

"Aye Ardeth, the cow is always alright"

*

The next day Ardeth helped Jonathan into his flat and sat him on the sofa with his leg up.

"Damn it hurts" he said.

"it must do for you to admit it, where's your painkillers?"

"In my bag, but I can't take anymore for another couple of hours"

"Do you want a cuppa or to lay down for a while?"

"Yes and I am laying down idiot"

"I meant in bed sunshine"

"Nah, not yet anywhay. I like watching you work and look after me, nurse"

"Fool, I'll get the tea, just rest that leg."

When he came back, Jonathan had his eyes closed and looked like he was sound asleep. Ardeth put the mugs down and went and got a blanket and covered him up. As he went to stand again, he stopped and looked at Jonathans face. So handsome, he thought, he just wanted to kiss those lips.

Brushing a wisp of hair off Jonathans face and making sure he was asleep, he brushed his lips over Jonathans. Just a fleeting kiss and whispered "I love you Jonathan"

Then sitting in the chair opposite drank his tea.

What he didn't know, was that Jonathan wasn't deeply asleep, he was only dozing. He felt Ardeth brush the hair and kiss him, and heard the words he had never dreamt he would ever hear (I love you Jonathan).

He smiled to himself and settled down, Ardeth would wait just a little longer. Ardeth mulled over what Cowley had told him, had he made it that obvious that he loved Jonathan, it seemed he had. And Cowley, in love with another agent all those years ago. Wow.

Jonathan was having a bad dream and he shouted in his sleep.

Ardeth went over to him and stroked his forehead while holding his hand.

"Shh, it's ok mate, I'm here, you're safe"

Jonathans eyes flickered open and saw a pair of concerned green eyes looking at him.

"Ardeth.I thought I was back there, it was.."

"Hey, it's over, Halls dead and you're safe ok"

He got up and poured Jonathan a drink, with a hand behind his head he helped him drink it.

"I'm quite capable of drinking myself" he started to say "But who's complaining"

Ardeth sat on the floor beside Jonathan and turned the TV on. Jonathan watched him for a while, then he gently fiddled with Ardeths curls.

"Ardeth"

"Mmm" said Ardeth keeping his eyes on the tv but noticing what Jonathan was doing.

Jonathan took a deep breath.

"Why did you kiss me?"

Ardeths head snapped round and he blushed slightly, like he'd been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"And why did you say you loved me?"

"I thought you were asleep, I..I"

As Ardeth looked at Jonathan, he saw a look of desire in Jonathans eys, not anger as he had expected and Jonathan had moved his hand to Ardeths neck and was gently kneading the muscles.

"So you wouldn't have said anything if I had been awake eh?"

"Come on Jonathan, you're straight, everyone knows that. I didn't want to risk a broken jar under normal circumstances"

"Everyone sees what I want them to see but it doesn't mean they are right"

"Alright I thought you were atraight, I've never seen you with a man, ever"

"Don't mean to say I haven't been with a man. The army is a lonely place at night. Besides I only tell the people I love. And until now, I've never loved anyone and not like that"

"What about Claire and Sally?"

"Convenient, served the purpose and you still haven't answered my question, why did you kiss me and tell me you loved me?"

"Because I do, always have I suppose but I never said anything because I didn't want to lose what we had, friends, partners. I've told you before when you have been asleep. The only time I had the courage to without having to worry about my well-being"

"You're that scared of me?" asked Jonathan.

"No, but would you go up to a man and tell them you loved them and kiss them without a death wish. What did you mean, you've been in love till now. Who's the lucky girl?"

"Ardeth, Ardeth, Ardeth you are dense sometimes" he said running his fingers along Ardeths chin. "I love you, have done for ages but I thought the same thing as you, you're not exactly the most approachable person sometimes"

By now Ardeth had turned to kneel in front of Jonathan. "You love me?"

"Don't look so surprised, how could I not fall for you, with those curls, those lips and that flaunting little arse of yours, always wiggling in front of me. Remember the other night, when we went looking for Hall and I said you'd get raped going out like that"

"Yes what about it?"

"That's exactly what I wanted to do to you when I saw you"

Ardeth leaned forward and brushed his lips on Jonathans, who responded by forcing his tongue into Ardeths mouth to deepen the kiss.

Ardeth moaned as electric shocks ran through every nerve ending. They broke only to catch their breath.

"God Jonathan what was that?"

"I think they call that a kiss"

"Yeah but no-ones kissed me like that before, can we try that again?"

Jonathan snaked his hand round Ardeths neck and pulled him down for another kiss. Tongues searched and found every crevice and Jonathan squeezed Ardeths arse and pulled him on top of him.

"What about your leg?" asked Ardeth with a worried look on his face.

"I'm not going to fuck you with my leg. Help me up, let's move to the bedroom"

Ardeth helped him onto the bed but not before all his clothes were removed and his too.

"Are you sure about this Ardeth?"

"I've been sure for years, you?"

"Come here"

Ardeth laid beside him and while kissing him, nudged his knee between Jonathans legs being careful of the plaster and rubbed his groin. Jonathan moaned into the kiss. Releasing him, Ardeth moved down Jonathans Chest with little kisses and sucked on Jonathans nipples, which hardened as soon as they were touched. Then he kissed his navel and moving ever downward, took Jonathan in his mouth.

Jonathan gasped as a warm, wet tongue licked up his shaft and teased the tip.

"Oh God Ardeth, please"

Ardeth obliged and it wasn't long before Jonathan came, shouting Ardeths name. Both breathing heavy they lay beside each other, wrapped in each others arms.

"God Ardeth, where did you learn that, I thought you'd never been with a man before"

"I haven't but over the years I've done a lot of research and about 6 months ago, two very good friends let me watch"

"You little voyeur pervert" chuckled Jonathan.

"I knew I didn't want any man, I wanted you. And if I ever got you, I wanted to make it feel special and not make it clumsy because I didn't know what I was doing"

"Oh Ardeth, I love you, really love you"

Ardeth looked at Jonathan and smiled.

"I love you too, so much. I know it took a lot to say that, so I know you mean it, but there is a problem"

"Oh shit, what?" said Jonathan.

"I want you to fuck me, I need you inside me but how?" said Ardeth looking at the leg.

"There is only one way but it could hurt and that is for you to sit on me"

Getting some baby oil from the bnathroom, Ardeth sat across Jonathan, being careful not to hurt him.

"Ouch, that hurt"

"Look maybe this is not a good idea" said Ardeth.

"You're not getting out of this that easy"

Carefully Ardeth inched onto Jonathan. It hurt like hell but gradually with Jonathan encouraging him, he fully sheathed himself on Jonathan.

"Shit, you've got a tight little arse, hot and sweet" said Jonathan.

Slowly Ardeth rode him, as it got past the pain barrier, Ardeth felt sensations he never thought he'd ever feel. With his hands on Jonathans chest, he got into a rhythm and threw his head back.

"Yes Jonathan, oh God, come for me, please"

At that Jonathan pumped Ardeths cock with his hand. They both went over the edge together and Ardeth collapsed onto Jonathans chest. Jonathan saw stars as he came, he'd never had such an orgasm and blacked out at the intensity of it. Ardeth looked at him as he eased off him.

"Jonathan, Jonathan are you alright. Shit"

Ardeth ran into the bathroom and grabbed a cloth. Jonathan woke a few minutes later to a worried Ardeth holding a cold cloth on his forehead.

"Jonathan are you ok?"

"Yeah, Jesus that was some orgasm, never had one like that. Scared you did I?" he said looking into Ardeths green eyes. He saw tears there.

"Hey, it's ok, I'm fine really"

Jonathan ran a hand over Ardeths face and with a finger, wiped a tear that had squeezed out of his eye, much to Ardeths embarrassment.

"Last time you blacked out with me was when I hit you. Sorry mate"

"Don't be sorry, that was fantastic, how was it for you?"

"Words cannot describe it, never had sex like that. I love you"

"You bet mates, partners and lovers, always"

They lay there in each others arms, Ardeth grinned.

"What are you grinning at?" asked Jonathan.

"Cowley, something he said"

"Go on, what?"

Ardeth leaned on his elbow and looked at Jonathan.

"When I found you in that warehouse, saw how much blood you'd lost and how cold you were and unconscious, I was scared I'd lose you and I'd never told you how I felt about you"

Jonathan went to say something but Ardeth stopped him."No let me finish, as I held you, waiting for the ambulance, I and don't laugh, I had tears running down my face"

Jonathan gripped his hand but stayed quiet.

"Cowley must have noticed, when we got back to the office he told me to tell you that I loved you, not to miss the opportunity"

"Cowley knows, shit" said Jonathan.

"No, it's ok Jonathan. He told me he was in love with an agent in the late 60's called Hamill, remember hearing about him.

They were lovers. Cowley never told him he actually loved him and then he was killed. He didn't want us to miss out on that. He wants us to be together"

"Cowley, I would never have guessed in a million years"

"He knows I love you and he was sure you loved me. One of us had to make the first move"

Jonathan pulled Ardeth close and kissed him.

"You cried for me, oh Ardeth, no-ones ever cried for me before, I didn't think anyone could ever love me like that"

"Neither did I, you're callous, cold, over-bearing, bad-tempered, sweet, sexy and the most wonderful man I have ever known"

"Me bad-tempered, you sod, never known anyone with such a temper as you, my chin verifies that" he said with a wonderful grin on it.

They fell asleep, smiling to themselves. The next day, Cowley turned up at the flat.

"Good morning Sir" said Ardeth.

"Morning Ardeth, how's the patient."

"Fine Sir, see for yourself, want a drink?"

Ardeth poured Cowley a scotch and sat down. Cowley looked at the two of them before he spoke.

"Well Ardeth, what's happening?" he asked.

Ardeth and Jonathan looked at each other, Cowley had never called Ardeth by his first name before, so Ardeth knew what he meant.

"I took your advice Sir, you were right"

"You took it, that will be a first and I'm always right. So what are you going to do about it?"

"What can we do, we love each other" said Ardeth "But CI5 won't let it go on, it's against the rules"

Jonathan looked shocked, Ardeth had openly admitted to Cowley, of all people, that he loved him. He felt tears pricking his eyes and he had to blink them back.

"Ach Laddie, do think they ever knew about me and Hamill, I assume you told Jonathan about that"

"Yes Sir, Ardeth told me"

"Well get a flat together, I'll arrange it, be discrete and you shouldn't have any trouble"

"Sir," said Jonathan "Why are you being like this, I thought you would fire us for even thinking about it"

Cowley came and sat by Jonathan and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Laddie, I've seen the way you two looked at each other, little comments and when I saw Ardeth the other day at the warehouse, I knew. I loved Hamill, I still love him but I was a fool Jonathan, I never told him even though we were lovers. I didn't want you too go
through that. We are in a dangerous profession, we have to live a day at a time and we have to put everything into that day, including love"

Jonathan didn't say anything but by the look on his face, Ardeth knew he was close to tears. So he walked over and sat beside him. Cowley got up, poured himself another drink and drank it in one go.

"Right, some of us have work to do. Good luck you two and Jonathan, be careful of that leg. I don't want you out of action any longer than necessary"

"Thank you Sir, for coming over" said Ardeth.

He shut the door behind Cowley and walked back to Jonathan."You ok?" he asked.

"Yeah, I suppose, the Cow took me by surprise, never thought he had it in him, comes across different. And you, admitting openly that you loved me, that was a lovely thing to do"

He leant against Ardeth and he was wrapped in loving arms.

Just where he wanted to be.

*

Two Months Later.

"Come on Jonathan, watch my back"

Jonathan fired as Ardeth ran over the waste ground after two men. He dropped and rolled as one stopped to fire but fell as Jonathans shot hit him in the chest. The other guy jumped into the car and skidded over the bumpy ground and was away. Jonathan and
Ardeth went over to the dead man but when Jonathan looked at him after pulling the balaclava off his head, he gasped.

"Bloody hell, Frankie"

"You know him?" asked Ardeth.

"Yeah I know him and I have a bad feeling that the other man is Krivas"

"Who's Krivas?"

"Someone who tried to kill me once, in Africa"

"Why?"

"Leave it Ardeth, I don't want to talk about it"

And he walked back to the car, leaving Ardeth with a puzzled look on his face. All the years he had known Jonathan, he'd never mentioned this man or the fact he wanted Jonathan dead. He had to find out why but he'd leave it for now. He knew not to push Jonathan too far.

"So, the other man could be this Krivas, how sure are you Jonathan?" asked Cowley.

"100% sure, Frankie didn't do anything without Krivas, they were joined at the hip, at least they were in Africa"

"I'll get a file on him, but tell me what you know"

"With a scowl Jonathan walked to the window.

"He's about 35, been a merc for years, I met him in Africa. He's vicious, a psychopath, killed a good friend of mine for no reason. Brilliant with explosives, guns and blades"

"Anything else?".

"Yeah he wants me dead"

Cowley spun round at that comment and looked at Ardeth, who hadn't said a word since they walked into Cowleys office. He just shrugged his shoulders.

"Why Jonathan?"

"Doesn't matter Sir, it's personnal but we hate each other and where I'm not a cold-blooded killer, he is"

Cowley knew Jonathan wouldn't give much away but."Well I want him, dead or alive but I don't want a personnal vendetta, do I make myself clear Jonathan. Whatever your problem with him, you do your job right but you watch yourself too. If this man is still after you, you'll have to be careful"

"Sir" replied Jonathan sarcastically.

"I mean it Jonathan, no heroics I don't want you killed, remember that"

Jonathan stormed out of the office, leaving Ardeth standing there, his hands on his hips.

"Ardeth a minute, what do you know about this?"

"Nothing sir, I'd never heard of him till today, Jonathans never talked much about Africa. Do you think he is in danger?"

"If what Jonathan says is true, and I have no reason to doubt him, then yes, he is, till this man is caught. But more than that, I have a feeling he'll make this personnal, despite what I say"

"Yes sir, I'll watch him"

"And Ardeth, see if you can find out what happened between Jonathan and Krivas"

"Sir"

Back at Ardeths flat, he was drinking scotch like there was no tomorrow, he didn't even notice when Ardeth sat beside him and put a reassuring hand on his knee.

"Jonathan, leave the bottle enough to get pissed"

"I told you to leave it"

"No I won't, I love you and you life could be in danger"

"I can handle myself"

"Can you, against this guy"

The argument heated up and Jonathan smashed the glass against the wall.

"Leave it Ardeth, or God help me, I'll make you leave it.

I'll find Krivas and when I do, I'll kill him ok"

He took his gun out and made sure it was loaded then walked towards the door. Ardeth jumped in front of him and took the gun out of his hand. Jonathan went mad and grabbed Ardeth, trying to get the gun back.

"Give it to me, you've no right to stop me, it's him or me, give it back, NOW"

"No Jonathan, find him yes, but not while you're pissed, you can't drive like that, you'll kill someone, if not yourself before you even find him"

They struggled and Ardeth pushed him against the wall, the gun having been flung across the room.

"I'm warning you Ardeth, get out of my way and give me that gun"

"No, you're not leaving here in that state"

Suddenly Jonathans fist connected with Ardeths jaw and he fell back, hitting his head on the coffee table. Jonathan looked at him and then went over to pick up the gun. As he turned round he saw that Ardeth hadn't moved.

"Come on Ardeth, stop messing about, I didn't hit you that hard"

He went over expecting to see Ardeth grinning at him in defiance but Ardeth wasn't moving. Jonathan knelt beside him and ruffled his hair.

"Come on, get up, I'm sorry"

As he brought his hand up, he saw blood, he froze. God help him, what had he done to the man he loved more than anything in the world. The blood on his hand had sobered him up quicker than a cold shower.

He lifted Ardeth onto the sofa and saw the small gash on the side of his head, it didn't look much but Ardeth hadn't come round.

Grabbing a cloth from the bathroom, he laid it on Ardeths head."Ardeth, wake up love, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you, please just wake up"

Half hour later, Ardeth started to come round to Jonathan cradling him in his arms. His head throbbed and his jaw hurt.

"Ardeth thank God, you ok?"

"Yeah, I think so, how long was I out, that was some punch"

"About 20-25 minutes, you hit your head on the table. You've got a gash and bump on your head. Should get a doctor check it out"

"No, I'm alright, had worse than that. What about you Jonathan, you alright"

"Yes, when I saw what I did, and you not coming round, it sobered me up in record time. Here drink this"

He had let Ardeth sit up and he checked on his head. It seemed ok now but he was still worried.

"Ardeth about Krivas, I'll tell you about him"

"You don't have to, although I would like to know. I'm sorry I pushed you, but I was worried about you"

"We are a couple of idiots but I do love you and I know you love me. But it is hard to talk about. There was this girl, gorgeous, I loved her, really loved her but Krivas said she was his and when he couldn't have her, he said no-one else would either. One night he shot her, point blank range with a 45 magnum. We fought and I wounded him but couldn't kill him, should have done. We vowed we would kill the other if we ever met again. He went to South Africa and I came here. Till now I've never seen him"

"Jonathan, I'm sorry I pushed you" said Ardeth standing up to get another drink. A wave of dizziness hit him and he swayed, Jonathan rushed to grab him.

"Sit down, I don't care what you say, I'm ringing the doctor" he said as he lay Ardeth back on the sofa.

The doctor came and went and told Ardeth to rest, he had mild concussion. They told him Ardeth had tripped, they also had to ring Cowley who was not best pleased.

"If you are ok for a while, I'm going back to mine to get some clothes, don't worry I am NOT going after Krivas. I won't be long"

"Yeah, I'll be fine, don't worry, a couple of hours sleep and I'll be as right as rain"

Jonathan let himself into his flat and went straight to the bedroom to pack a few things, he'd spend a couple of nights at Ardeths. They would be glad when the flat was sorted out so they could move in together.

Suddenly an explosion rocked the block of flats. Jonathans flat was destroyed with Jonathan somewhere underneath it all.Ardeth jumped up from dozing, something was wrong, Jonathan should have been back by now. He rang the flat but all he got was the
out of order signal. He grabbed his jacket and flew out of the door and drove at top speed to Jonathans. As he turned the corner, he saw smoke, fireman and police outside Jonathans.

Jumping out of the car, he raced to the door but Cowley stopped him.

"You can't go in Ardeth, it's too dangerous"

"Where's Jonathan, is he?"

"They don't know, he is under that lot somewhere. Let them do their job"

Ardeth leant his head on the car, his head still hurt and he felt dizzy, then he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"What the hell happened, he was just getting some clothes"

"A bomb went off, in Jonathans flat, we had a call 5 minutes before but we couldn't reach Jonathan. He probably wasn't there then"

"Krivas?" asked Jonathan.

He told Cowley what Jonathan told him and then he looked at the building, tears were rolling down his face. Cowley put an arm round him.

"We'll find him and we'll get Jonathan out, alive, if at all possible. Here you need this"

He passed him his hip flask, full of pure malt scotch. Ardeth drank it but he wanted to get in there and help.

"I've got to help find him and no-one is going to stop me"

"You are in no fit state to help anyone" said Cowley but then he saw the look on Ardeths face. He went over and had a word with the fireman and came back and handed Ardeth a hat. "You can help but do what they say, right, People are out looking for Krivas now, we'll find him don't worry"

Slowly they removed the rubble from the entrance to Jonathans flat. Luckily there was no fire, the smoke Ardeth thought he saw was nothing more than dust as the building collapsed.

*

Jonathan came round under a load of masonry and wood. He couldn't move, he was pinned down by something across his back. Blood ran down his face and he was cold. But he didn't seem to be hurt otherwise, nothing hurt him but he ached. It was dark and he felt panick rise, he was claustrophobic and hated confined spaces in the dark, had ever
since being in a prison in Africa while at the hands of the guerrillas.

Thankfully blackness took over again, just as he was wishing Ardeth was there. While the fireman were trying to get through the rubble slowly, Ardeth had had enough.

"NO WAIT" shouted one of the fireman.

But Ardeth climbed over the rubble to where the bedroom was.

From the damage, it looked like the bomb had been placed in the entrance to the flat, the damage seemed to get less over here.

"JONATHAN, JONATHAN" he yelled. No answer.

One of the fireman followed and grabbed Ardeth by the arm."Look be careful yeah"

Moving some bits of wood, from what was the wardrobe, Ardeth carried on. Fighting the dizziness, he had to find Jonathan and fast.

Suddenly he saw a hand, frantically he pulled at the debris and saw a large piece of timber across Jonathans back.

"Over here, help me with this"

Between the two of them, they lifted the wood off Jonathan and while the fireman went to get the paramedics, Ardeth cradled Jonathan.

"Jonathan, hey baby"

"R.a.y, thank God"

"What hurts mate, we'll soon have you outta here.

They carried him out on a stretcher and Cowley ran over.

"How is he?"

"He seems fine, no broken bones, a very lucky man. If you could follow in the car, we have someone else to take in the ambulance"

"Of course, come on Ardeth"

They got into the car and pulled away behind the ambulance.

Ardeth winced and held his head.

"Are you alright Ardeth?" asked Cowley.

"Just the pain in my head, I think I'm going to...."

Ardeth keeled over and Cowley put his foot down to get to the hospital. Jumping out he called one of the nurses and explained what had happened.

"He said his head hurt and then blacked out"

"It's ok Sir, we'll take care of him"

They lifted Ardeth out of the car and onto a stretcher. He was out cold and Cowley was worried. After checking him over, the doctor came out.

"We've put him in a room, he has concussion, from an earlier head wound. He hasn't come round yet but that is nothing to worry about at this stage. We'll keep him here over night unless there are complications. Do you know how he got the bump on his head?"

"Yes, he tripped and hit his head on the coffee table, I think, earlier this evening."

"Well the coffee table must have had a fist because he has a bruise on his chin too"

"Thank you doctor" said Cowley fuming that he had been lied to.

They must have had a row earlier, probably over Krivas and Jonathan had hit Ardeth.

"How is Jonathan?"

"It's a miracle but he is fine, no broken bones, just a few bruises and cuts. The wood over his back stopped him breathing properly which is why he was unconscious but he can leave as soon as the nurse is finished. Someone was looking after him tonight, he should be dead"

Cowley went to sit with Ardeth and wait for Jonathan. He hurried in after the doctor told him about Ardeth.

"Ardeth.oh sorry Sir"

"It's alright Jonathan, how do you feel?"

"Like I've been hit by a truck, what happened to Ardeth?"

"He passed out in the car on the way here with you. He has concussion, what happened between you two. I know you hit him"

Jonathan told him the events of the evening, wincing a bit as his back still ached. Cowley got him to sit down.

"It was my fault, stubborn as usual, trying to do it myself.

Will he be ok?" he said pulling the chair closer to Ardeth.

"Aye laddie, he'll be fine. Now we have a lead on Krivas, he was seen at the gay-bar in Kensington about an hour after the bomb went off but you'll do this together as a team. We'll flush him out Jonathan, I've made a report to the TV that you were killed in that
bomb. Ardeth can find him, he will be bragging about what he has done"

"You let Ardeth go in there alone, no way, Krivas is a pycho"

"I'll do what I have to Jonathan" said a voice behind them.

"Ardeth are you ok, God I'm sorry"

"Yeah, I'm fine, but you, are you alright, you shouldn't even be walking"

"'course I am, no-one can get me"

Cowley threw him a look and he added "Not without difficulty"

"You heard what I said Ardeth" said Cowley "Jonathan will stay in the background, in disguise, you won't be at the club alone"

"Disguise Sir, oh come on, cover up these looks"

"JONATHAN, this is serious, I haven't put up with your irresponsible, bad-tempered - caring ways for 8 years to see you dead. You don't want Ardeth there alone, this is the only way, take it or leave it"

"Me caring" said Jonathan with a smirk.

"Aye, God help me, now look after this partner of yours, I'm going home to bed. My office, noon, tomorrow"

"How do you feel Ardeth?" asked Jonathan taking his hand in his, now that Cowley had gone.

"I'm ok, I shouldn't have helped search for you but I had to. Look I'm not staying here, take me home Jonathan"

"Tomorrow"

"No, now" replied Ardeth "Please"

Jonathan relented and making sure no-one was around, helped Ardeth out of the hospital and they got a taxi home. When they got in and shut the door, Ardeth pulled Jonathan into his arms and kissed him.

"Not much damage to that lovely face, still very kissable"

"The worst is my back and shoulders, bits of wood and glass other places"

"Let's go to bed and I'll look after them for you"

"And who's going to look after you"

"You are Jonathan, my old sunshine, who else"

"Hot bath first, I ache, I'll run it"

Ardeth helped Jonathan undress and he got into the bath. It was something Ardeth had put in the year before, a massive corner bath, big enough for at least two people. But he never imagined he would share it with Jonathan.

Jonathan laid back and allowed Ardeth to sooth the aches and pains. Then he felt himself being pushed forward and Ardeth got in behind him, and carefully massaged his back.
Jonathan moaned under his administrations.

"Like that babe" he asked.

"Mmmm snice Ardeth"

Ardeth tilted his head back and captured Jonathan in a searing kiss, next thing he knew, he was on top of Jonathan in the water. He didn't know how Jonathan did it but he wasn't complaining."I love you Ardeth"

"Not as much as I love you"

They kissed, rubbing their now, large erections against each other. Jonathan arched against Ardeth. Sliding down in the water, Ardeth kissed Jonathan, down to his throbbing erection and swirling his tongue around the tip and up from the base, he took it all in his mouth, resulting in Jonathan bucking against him wildly. "Oh God Ardeth --- yes" moaned Jonathan.

With the other hand, Ardeth circled his finger against Jonathans secret opening, then thrust a finger in, sliding it against Jonathans prostrate, then two, three fingers went in.

"Ardeth.nooooo..I can't take it please"

But Ardeth had no intention of stopping, he was going to push Jonathan over the edge, into oblivion and by the looks of it, it wouldn't take much. This strong, dangerous man was completely out of control and at the mercy of Ardeth and Ardeth loved it.

But it was also pushing him over the edge, seeing what it was doing to Jonathan. As he took out his fingers, just to the edge and then plunged them back in, that did it, Jonathan screamed his name as he came, Ardeth swallowed every drop of Jonathans seed, it also
pushed him over and he came too.

Then he moved up and took Jonathan in his arms and held him as he came down to earth, whispering things in his ear. It took a while for Jonathan to calm down and slow his breathing. Then he took Ardeth into a heart-stopping kiss.

"Jesus Christ Ardeth, much more of that and I won't need Krivas to kill me, you'll do it for him. That was out of this world"

"Wanted to show you how much I loved you, didn't I?"

"Well, sunshine, you certainly did that. In all the years, I've never had sex like that"

"Let's go to bed sweetheart" said Ardeth helping him out of the bath, steadying him with his arm.

"Yeah, let's, I'm knackered and very, very happy"

The doctor went into Ardeths room about 2 hours after he had gone.

"Mr Ardeth, I need to speak to...oh great"

Going to the nuses station, he discovered that Ardeth had left with Jonathan.

"Nurse, make me an appointment with Mr Cowley, CI5, first thing in the morning"

"Yes doctor"

"Tell him it's urgent"

*

Dr Anderson arrived at CI5 for his 10am appointment with Cowley.

"Come in Dr Anderson, what can I do for you?" asked Cowley.

"I need to speak to you about Mr Ardeth, I was going to have a word with him last night but he had left"

"What, of all the irresponsible, how can I help?"

"We took an x-Ardeth last night, when we examined Mr Ardeth. But I didn't get a chance to look at it till much later. Because of the head injuries he has received over the years, because of his job, he has a swelling at the base of his skull"

"My God" said Cowley sitting down.

"I don't want to say too much but I need to see him"

"Betty, ask 4.5 to come in here, alone please"

"Yes Mr Cowley"

"Who's been a naughty boy" joked Jonathan when the message came through.

"Probably about me escaping from the hospital, won't be long. Meet you in the car park"
Going into Cowleys office, Ardeth saw the doctor he had seen the night before. Now he was in for it.

"Sit down Ardeth, the doctor needs to speak to you"

"If it's about last night" started Ardeth.

"No it isn't Mr Ardeth" replied Anderson.

He told Ardeth what he had told Cowley.

"Now we want to leave it for a few weeks, to see if it goes down on its own"

"And if it doesn't?" asked Ardeth.

"Then we will have to operate, it's a risky operation, which is why we don't want to do it yet"

"And what happens if it doesn't go down and I don't have the op?"

"Well, there is a risk with the op, that you could die. I'm not going to say different. It's complicated and risky. But if you don't have it, I'll give you less than 3 months"

"Not very good odds" said Ardeth.

"Hopefully it will go down on it's own. But I must warn you, another head injury could be fatal"

"We'll put you on sick leave Ardeth" said Cowley.

"No way Sir, I'm not sitting at home when I can be doing what I love"

"If he is careful Mrs Cowley, there is no reason for him to stop work. You will get headaches and blackouts if it gets worse. There's some medication to help. I want to see you in 2 weeks. It will take that long to see if it is going down or not. And try not to
worry, I know it's hard but we'll get this sorted for you"

"Thank you doctor" said Cowley and shook his hand as he left.Cowley handed Ardeth a scotch and put a hand on his shoyulder."It'll be ok Ardeth, just do what he says"

"Don't tell Jonathan Sir"

"He's your partner and..your lover...you have to tell him"

"I will but not till I have to. If he knows, he'll pussyfoot around me and I don't want that, couldn't take it sir"

"As you wish Ardeth but be careful and please, do what the doctor says, I know you"

"Betty send in 3.7"

Jonathan came in and saw Ardeth sitting with a worried look on his face.

"Right Jonathan, I've just had a go at Ardeth about last night" he lied "Will you two please stop doing things your way. I had the doctor having a go at me for you taking Ardeth out of the hospital"

"Sorry Sir but Ardeth hates the place"

"Yes well, we'll leave it for now. Krivas, you'll go in the bar tonight. As soon as you see him, bring him in, ok"

"Yes sir"

They left and later that day arrived at the bar. Jonathan had dark glasses on and an old pair of jeans and t-shirt, which he hated wearing. He sat in the corner and Ardeth went to the bar.An hour later, Krivas came in. Ardeth glanced over to Jonathan and saw he was getting up and coming over to the bar. Damn, he was supposed to stay there. Jonathan sat at the end of the bar with a beer, watching Krivas. But Ardeth could see by his eyes, even
in the dim light of the bar, that Jonathan wanted to kill him.

Jonathan had a look, when he was angry, his eyes would change to an ice-cold blue and most people knew to avoid him when they saw that look.

Ardeth started talking to Krivas, small talk at first then Krivas started blabbing about bombs etc.

"I'd love to be able to build a bomb, then I'd send one to my ex" said Ardeth.

"Oh they are easy" said Krivas and leaning closer "Did one last night, beautiful, even killed the man I was after. Great sense of achievement"

"You killed someone?" questioned Ardeth pretending to look shocked.

"Yeah, don't bother me, he was a bastard, met him years ago in Africa, a killer he was, made me kill my girlfriend.vowed I would get even and now I have"

By this time Krivas had had quite a few drinks and was swaying.

"Got one in the car outside, just needs to be primed and set, then whoosh. Want to see it?"

"I don't know" said Ardeth.

"Ah, come on, we're friends aren't we, if you like it, I'll make sure your ex gets it"

"Ok show me, oh by the way, what was the name of the guy you killed"

"Oh Jonathan, always said I'd get him and now I have, come on"

Ardeth followed him, signalling to Jonathan to follow as well, outside Krivas opened the boot of his car, after a fashion, he was well pissed.

"There are, perfect"

Jonathan came up behind Krivas and tapped him on the shoulder, his gun in his other hand.

"Hello Krivas, long time no see"

Krivas spun round and nearly fell in the boot.

"Jonathan, I thought, they said.."

"Yeah, never believe everything you hear" said Jonathan "Come on"

Krivas wanted to run but found he was too drunk. Jonathan cuffed him and put him in the car"

"You alright Jonathan?" asked Ardeth "I thought you were going to kill him in the bar"

"I was but I won't bring myself to his level and I found I loved someone more than I ever loved that girl" he said smiling at Ardeth.

*

Back at CI5, Cowley had the bomb squad bring the car in and Krivas was left to sleep, he was too drunk to interview and Cowley wanted him in excellent shape when he started on him.

Unbeknown to Krivas, Ardeth had taped everything he had said, so he would go down for a long time.

*

Back at Ardeths flat, Jonathan laid back on the sofa, watching tv. Ardeth looked a bit pale he thought as he poured them a drink.

"You ok Ardeth, you look pale?"

"Yeah, just a bit of a headache, come on shift over"

He sat next to Jonathan and leant against him as he put his arm round him.

"Well looks like Cowley will have to sort out a flat now. This one is too small"

"Yeah, a big one, with a big tub, and a very big bed" said Jonathan.

"Why big tub and big bed?" asked Ardeth.

"So I can have my wicked way with you my love" he replied kissing him.

"You haven't gone off me then?"

"Never sunshine, I've never loved anyone like I love you. You and me, we're like one person, in every way"

"Oh Jonathan, you make me feel special, know that, never had anyone do that before"

"Come here, give us a kiss"

Ardeth had never seen Jonathan, like this, normally he wouldn't let his guard down for one minute. But in the last few weeks, Ardeth had seen a different side to Jonathan and he loved it.

He just wished the headache would go. He was worried but put it to the back of his mind as soon as Jonathan kissed him.

A week later, Ardeth was in the showers at CI5, he had got covered in mud while on a job for Cowley. Jonathan was in Newcastle for 2 days, getting information about a drug dealer. He would be back the next day. Ardeth was talking to Murphy, who was cleaning up too. Murphy had finished and was dressing.

"Cowley loves getting us filthy" he said "Didn't have to do this today in the pouring rain"

"I know but you know what he is like" said Ardeth "Everything has to be done yesterday"

Ardeth came out of the shower and put his clothes on.

Suddenly a wave of dizziness hit him and he had to grab onto the cupboard to steady himself. Murphy grabbed him as he nearly passed out.

"Ardeth, here sit down, you alright?"

"Yeah, had too much to drink last night" he lied "Still a bit dizzy and I think I'm getting a cold"

Murphy gave him a glass of water and slowly the dizziness passed.

"I'm ok now, thanks Murphy but don't say anything to Cowley or Jonathan, they'd kill me for being drunk on duty"

"Sure Ardeth, no problem"

Murphy agreed but wondered, Ardeth didn't look like he had a hangover. His suspicions were confirmed more when a few days later..

"Jonathan" said Cowley "Block the end of the lane with your car, I'll come with you, that way they can't get out"

He picked up the R/T

"4.5 we're going to block the lane, about a mile east of you. Try and get them to go that way"

"Ok Sir" replied Ardeth "Murphy you hear that, come on. I'll go this way, you go over there"

They pressured the men to jump in their car and head off towards Jonathan and Cowley. Cowley had back up at the end of the lane, so they had nowhere to run.

"Ardeth, we have them in the car, let's follow" said Murphy into the radio.

Two minutes later and there was still no sign of Ardeth.

Murphy went round the back of the building and saw Ardeth laying on the grass. He ran over. As he got to him, Ardeth was starting to come round.

"Ardeth what happened, they hit you?"

"No, I just blacked out, I'll be alright honest"

"Ardeth what's going on, this isn't the first time and don't tell me it's a hangover"

"Leave it Murphy, thanks fo helping but just leave it ok"

On the way back to CI5, Murphy looked across at Ardeth, he looked ok but said he had a headache. Was that the reason he had passed out. Murphy wasn't sure whether to mention it to Cowley, he liked Ardeth but if there was something wrong, on the other hand if it was drink, he didn't want Ardeth to gt suspended. He decided against it for the time being.

Ardeth was worried, the headaches and blackouts were getting more frequent but he was too scared to tell anyone, least of all Jonathan and certainly not the doctor. He just hoped he didn't blackout when Jonathan was around.

He hated hospitals, spent too much time in them but this time, he would have a choice and put his life at risk as well. Risky the doctor had said but without it he could die anyway.

What would Jonathan do, he couldn't do this to Jonathan. What other option did he have. Then suddenly, an idea, he'd go away, down to Cornwall. His sister had an empty cottage, he'd go there. Jonathan wouldn't have to worry then. By the time it was over, Jonathan would have got over it.

Yes, that is what he'd do, he'd leave tonight, Jonathan was on an assignment for two days, by the time he got back, Ardeth would be long gone. He'd leave a note, just briefly saying goodbye to Jonathan. With that he packed a few things and got into the car and drove off. It would be best for everyone, he thought.

*

It was 11pm by the time Jonathan got to the flat, 2 days after Ardeth had left. Seeing it was empty, went into the kitchen to make a coffee, he saw the note on the table.

Dear Jonathan,
I'm sorry about this but I have had to go away. Nothing to do with you, I love you too much to stay and have you hurt. This way you'd get over Me quicker. Don't look for me and don't worry. No matter what happens Remember I love you and always and the last few weeks have been magic.

Love always Ardeth

Jonathan sat on the chair and wondered what had gone wrong and why Ardeth had left. He wiped his eyes, where tears had formed and taking the note, got into the car and drove back to Cowleys office. Knocking on the door, he went in.

"Back so soon?" asked Cowley.

"I found this when I got home"

He gave Cowley the note and Cowley sighed when he read it.

"Stupid idiot, what the hell is he thinking of"

"You know something about this?" asked Jonathan looking annoyed.

"Not where he is but I do know why, sit down Jonathan"

Cowley told him everything the doctor had said and why.

"I thought he was going to tell you, he said he would and for me not to mention it"

"Sounds like Ardeth but why not get the operation done, without it he will die right"

"Yes Jonathan, I'm sorry laddie but I know you'll want to find him. Where do you start?"

"I have no idea, I'll phone some of his friends and see what happens from there. God why did he do it" said Jonathan putting his head in his hands.

At that moment Murphy came in and Cowley told him that Ardeth was missing.

"Look, Ardeth swore me to secrecy but he had blacked out at least 3 times to my knowledge over the past fortnight, is he ill?"

"What did he tell you?" asked Cowley.

"He said it was too much drink but I did wonder"

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because he asked me not to, if it was drink doing it, I knew you'd sack him. I didn't want to be responsible for him losing his job"

"That's ok Murphy, I admire your loyalty" replied Cowley.

*

By the end of the week, Jonathan had used every contact but had had no luck. Where was he, even phoned his family with some pretext but they had not heard from him and his father said he didn't want to.

"Have you any ideas?" asked Jonathan

"None we have exhausted every avenue" said Cowley.

Jonathan hung his head, he was worried sick and he realised

just how much he loved Ardeth and knew he couldn't live if Ardeth was gone. There was a knock on the door and Tommy came in. Tommy was a good agent but nutty as a fruit cake.

"Those men we've been after, they've been spotted in the docks. Do you want us to get them?"

"Yes but Tommy, no idiotic heroics please" said Cowley.

"Who, me Sir. Any luck with Ardeth?"

"No, we've tried everywhere" said Jonathan.

"What about Cornwall, have you tried there?"

Jonathan and Cowley looked at him.

"Cornwall" they said together.

"Yeah he mentioned to me a couple of years ago, that his sister had a cottage, remote part of Cornwall, he went there as a kid but she never used it after she married. Might still have it"

"Tommy you're an angel" said Jonathan giving him a hug.

"Jonathan, get off, ain't Ardeth enough for you?"

"What do you mean?" asked Jonathan stepping back.

"Oh come on, I've known about you and Ardeth for months, years even, just took you till recently to get your act together"

"Have you told anyone?" asked Cowley.

"Don't be daft Sir, I'm gay, have been for years, not going to blab about Jonathan and Ardeth am I. Never shit on your own doorstep. I hope you find him, he loves you, you know"

"Thanks Tommy" said Cowley "Now haven't you got a job to do"

"Sir, on my way"

"Right, I'll get in touch with his sister and find out about this cottage. He never mentioned it to me, mind you, he never has spoken much about his family, didn't get on"

While Jonathan was checking on the cottage, Cowley phoned the doctor to find out what Jonathan should do and tell him what was going on.

"Jonathan has got to get him back to London. We are the only hospital qualified to do the operation. If he is having blackouts, then he has to have the op as soon as possible" said Anderson.

"How long has he got without it?" asked Cowley.

"From what you have told me and you only know about some of the blackouts, I'd say 2 weeks, tops"

"Thank you doctor, we'll be there"

Cowley told Jonathan what Anderson had said. Jonathan had found out where the cottage was but it had been left empty for years, his sister didn't know what it was like now. Jonathan got his stuff and left for Cornwall. He hoped he wasn't tto late.

Ardeth had arrived at the cottage ok but he felt terrible.

The constant headache never seemed to go away, it eased with the tablets but was always there in the background.

He had almost blacked out twice on the way to Cornwall and he was scared. He'd been in so many life threatening situations before but this was different. The other were split-second decisions that could have taken his life or Jonathans. But this was something on
going, he had to live with it, think about it and it scared him.

To have Jonathan with him would be his dearest wish but he couldn't do it to him. If only he'd admitted his feelings years ago, or if Jonathan had admitted his. Even if they had never admitted it, that would be even better. But it was too late now, he knew the way he felt, that it would only be a matter of weeks, days at the most.He had to write a letter for Jonathan and one to Cowley.

Jonathans would be the hardest to write. Sitting in the living room, he looked at the picture of Jonathan he had brought with him and sobs shook him as he held it.

The next day he decided to go for a walk, walking in the fresh air, seemed to help the headache, it wasn't so bad. The cottage was situated right by the beach, a little remote cove that he used to play on when he was little, with his sister.

He decided to spend as much time as he could on the beach, it was full of happy memories and a few bad ones, but he loved it there.

The best place in the world to die.

Jonathan had stopped half way to Cornwall, he was so tired and he knew if he didn't get some sleep, even for a couple of hours, he'd end up crashing the car. He booked into a small hotel and was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. He woke 9 hours later. God
he must have been tired, he thought. Having a quick shower, he got his stuff and started for Cornwall again. But not before looking at the picture of Ardeth, he had in his wallet.

"Hang on mate, we'll get you sorted out, don't you dare leave me now" he said aloud.

Ardeth had been at the cottage 7 days and apart from not feeling too godd, was enjoying the peace and quiet. Walking along the beach, he was aiming for the rocks at the end of the cove, he'd sit there for a while and watch the tide come in. It was way out at the
moment but he did this with his sister, time how long it took to reach the rocks.

IT covered the rocks, just at high tide. He estimated it would about 7 hours, the tide had another hour before it turned. As he walked along, a sudden excruciating pain hit him, in the back of the head. Blackness engulfed him as he collapsed on the beach.

*

About 6 hours later Jonathan arrived at the cottage. It was getting dark, cold and was raining a bit. He banged on the door, "Ardeth, it's Jonathan, let me in"

But there was no answer, so Jonathan went round the back and finding the back door unlocked, he went in. After looking round the cottage and finding Ardeth not there, he went to see if he could spot him. He knew Ardeth would be annoyed that he had found him but it couldn't be helped. Jonathan wasn't going to let him die, not after all this.

Jonathan walked down the path to the beach, he knew Ardeth loved the sea. If he was anywhere, he'd be on the beach. The tide was almost in and as he reached the sand, he looked to the left and then to the right. In the distance, in the diming light, he spotted a
shape laying on the sand.

Jonathan ran towards the figure, dreading what he was going to find. He splashed through the water that was lapping round Ardeth and knelt beside him, rolling him over. Feeling for a pulse, he found it was there but very weak.

"Ardeth, Ardeth, it's me Jonathan, can you hear me?"

Ardeth didn't move, he was deeply unconscious, wet and very cold. Luckily he didn't weigh that much (Jonathan had always moaned at him that he never ate enough) so he picked him up in his arms and struggling, carried him back to the cottage.

Ardeth was a dead weight and Jonathan was knackered by the time he reached the cottage. He went round the back and once inside, laid Ardeth on the bed. The first thing he would have to do was get him out of those wet clothes and get him warm.

If he had been an hour later or even 30 minutes later, Ardeth might have drowned with the tide. Stripping him off, he ran a hot bath and gently lowered Ardeth into it. He had to get him warm to start with, there was no way he could drive him back to |London as he
was, regardless.

The warmth of the water, very slowly brought Ardeth round. He was disorientated at first but then saw a pair of very concerned blue eyes looking at him.

"Ardeth, thank God, take it easy, I've got you"

"What are you doing here and what am I doing in the bath?"

Jonathan told him where he had found him and that he had to get him warm before taking him back to London.

"Last thing I remember was walking on the beach then this pain in my head, at the back and then waking up here. I'm not going back to London"

"You have to Ardeth, the doctor said the operation.."

"The operation could kill me, so I'm not taking the risk"

"So you're going to take the easy option and die regardless of anyone. You are a selfish bastard sometimes"

"Me" said Ardeth as Jonathan helped him out of the bath.

He swayed slightly and Jonathan wrapped his arm round his waist to steady him. "Come on, into bed for now, we'll talk about this"

"Nothing to talk about" said Ardeth holding his head as another pain hit him.

"Ardeth, you okay?"

"Yeah, this pain keeps coming back"

As Ardeth sat in the bed, drinking a coffee, Jonathan ran his fingers through the curls.

"Ardeth, listen to me, I love you and if I have to knock you out to get you back to that hospital, I will. I don't want you to die, I couldn't bear it, I couldn't live without you, I.."

Jonathan burst into tears and buried his head in the blankets of the bed. Ardeth didn't know what to say or do, he'd never seen Jonathan like this. Jonathan was the strong, hard and sometimes cold partner although he could be the passionate lover as well Ardeth had
found out. But he had never openly cried, not like this.

Ardeth moved so he could cradle Jonathan in his arms, sobs shaking his body. Tears fell silently from Ardeths eyes, seeing his only love in such pain, realising for the first time, just how selfish he was being, he couldn't do this.

"Shh, it's alright babe, I'll do it, I'll have the op, I can't bear to see you like this, I never knew you loved me this much. Nobody has ever loved me like this"

He gently rocked Jonathan, although every movement hurt his head. Jonathan slowly stopped and looked at Ardeth. His eyes red and puffy, Ardeth kissed him and Jonathan saw that the green eyes he loved were wet with tears too.

"You mean it, you'll come back to London, now?" asked Jonathan wiping his nose on the blanket with the lack of a tissue.

"Yeah, I'll come back. When do we leave, if I have to have this done, I want to get it over with. Besides, I can't have my sisters blankets getting so wet" he tried to smile but even that hurt.

Jonathan sniffed and wiped his nose again.

"Ok we'll leave in the morning, it'll be over by tomorrow night and you will be well again"

"We hope" said Ardeth "look, get in here with me, I've got to lie down"

Jonathan quickly discarded his clothes and jumped in with Ardeth. They snuggled up together.

"Jonathan, I'm sorry, for leaving like that, I didn't know what else to do"

"Don't do it again, I never want to find a note like that when I come home. I didn't know what to think. Cowley told me what was going on, why didn't you tell me?"

"The same reason as I left, I was scared, I am scared. I only thought of how I was feeling, not what it would do to you. You were right when you called me selfish, I am"

"Yeah but I can understand scared. I really do love you Ardeth, never have loved anyone like this. I don't want to lose you" said Jonathan snuggling closer as Ardeth put his arms around him.

"You'll never know how much I love you too"

Ardeth kissed his forehead and Jonathan lifted his head so he could kiss Ardeth properly. They made love slowly, for the first time, normally it was passionate and frenzied. But Jonathan didn't want to hurt Ardeth and it was Ardeth who wanted to, although his
headache and the pain was killing him. They fell into a warm comfortable sleep.

The next morning, Jonathan helped Ardeth dress and got him into the back of the car. He thought it would be more comfortable for the drive back to London. Ardeth's head was thumping but the tablets eased it a bit.

"I can't use the R/T till we are on the outskirts of London, then I'll get Cowley to let Anderson know we're on the way. You okay?"

"Yeah, just get there before I change my mind"

On the way, Ardeth leaned against the window and closed his eyes. The pain was getting bad and he fought to stay conscious.

"Ardeth we'll stop up the road so I can get some more petrol and a drink ok"

When Ardeth didn't answer, Jonathan looked at him, he was very pale and looked like he was asleep. Jonathan stopped the car so he could get Ardeth to lay down, he'd sleep better like that. Getting out of the car he went to make Ardeth comfortable.

"Come on, sunshine, lay down, then you can sleep till we get to London"

As he took his arm, Ardeth slumped forward and Jonathan realized that he wasn't asleep but unconscious .

"Shit, Ardeth, Ardeth"
Getting no response, he laid him down, checked his pulse and covered him with a blanket. He had to get him to the hospital quick.

He stopped and got the petrol, then way on his way. As he got to the outskirts he used the R/T. He had tried ringing Cowley but he wasn't answering.

"3.7 to control"

"Come in 3.7"

"Patch me through to Cowley, quickly"

"Cowley to control, what is it?"

"3.7 Sir"

"Put me through, Jonathan what's happening?"

"I've got Ardeth in the car, we're on our way but he is unconscious again, get Anderson to be ready for him. I should be there in about 45 minutes"

"Ok Jonathan, I'll meet you at the hospital and don't worry, he'll be fine"

"I hope so Sir, he doesn't look good at the moment, 3.7 out"

It actually took Jonathan only about 30 minutes to get there.

Getting out of the car, Jonathan opened the back door. Two nurses were waiting with a stretcher. Carefully Jonathan lifted Ardeth out and laid him on the stretcher. Holding his hand, he went with the nurses to a lift where Anderson was waiting.

"Sorry Jonathan, you can't come. He's going straight to surgery. As soon as there's any news I'll let you know"

Reluctantly Jonathan went and sat down, his head in his hands. A nurse saw how upset he was and took him to a private room where he could wait and brought him a coffee. He was staring out of the window, his face wet with silent tears when a hand on his shoulder made him jump. It was Cowley.

"Sorry Sir didn't hear you" he said looking back out of the window.

Cowley saw the tears but said nothing, only patted his shoulder.

"I'm sure he'll be alright Jonathan. He is in the best hands, what happened?"

Jonathan told Cowley all that went on in Cornwall.

"If I had been any longer, he could have drowned"

"But you got to him in time, remember that, do you know how long the op will take?"

"No I don't, the doctor didn't say"

"Well I do, he told me about 7 hours, so get on that couch and get some sleep. You're out on your feet, you'll be no good to Ardeth, being ill yourself"

"But I.."

"No buts, do as I say. Here have a drink of this and lay down. Any news and I'll wake you"

Jonathan sighed, took the drink and laid on the couch, he was asleep in minutes. Cowley laid a blanket over him and went and sat down.

"God help these two, if anything happens to Ardeth, I'm going to lose two good men"

He said it aloud, not pArdething to God very often but hoping that he would ehar him this time. It was 10pm when the doctor came in and Cowley woke Jonathan up.

"How is he?"

"The operation was a success, it was a bone fragment lodged in a blood vessel causing the swelling. We removed it, drained the blood vessel, sewed it up and he is in recovery"

"Is he going to live?" asked Jonathan.

"Yes, he should make a complete recovery, he won't be able to work for about 3 months. If it had been anything other than that piece of bone, he might not have made it. We couldn't see the bone on the x-Ardeth because of the swelling. We'll keep him here for a few days, but he should be able to go home in about 4 days, all being well"

Jonathan was relieved, he had another chance with Ardeth. He stood up to shake the doctors hand but suddenly swayed and the doctor grabbed him as he nearly blacked out.
"When was the last time you had anything to eat? Asked Anderson sitting him down and putting his head between his knees.

"Yesterday afternoon, I wanted to get Ardeth here"

"Right, Mr Cowley, take him home, feed him and get him into bed, he has a bit of a temperature. Mr Ardeth won't be awake till tomorrow and I don't want to see you here before then"

"I must be here when.."

"No, Ardeth is going to need you later, come on. Thank you doctor"

Jonathan tried to protest but he knew both of them were right. He didn't feel too good, work, Cornwall, Ardeth, not eating and a cold coming on, had finally caught up with him.

Cowley got Jonathan into the car and took him to his home.

Rustling up something quick to eat, he told Jonathan to have a shower and get to bed.

"Thanks Sir, for everything, I was so worried about Ardeth, I didn't think about myself"

"So I see, go on, bed"

Jonathan sneezed as he got up. Cowley laughed and patted Jonathan on the back as he went out of the door.

"You two will put me in an early grave, if it is not one of you , it's the other. Get out of here and keep your cold to yourself"

"Sir"

"And it's George while you are off duty and under my roof, Jonathan"

Jonathan had to admit, he felt better now he had had something to eat but he still felt cold and shivery. He had a shower and got into bed. It was warm and comfortable and he was soon asleep, dreaming of his life with Ardeth.

*

Cowley finished a couple of reports then he went to bed. It was nearly 2 am and as he went past the room where Jonathan was, he heard him coughing. He looked in but Jonathan was still asleep, he'd leave him.

By 10am, there was still no sign of Jonathan, so Cowley took a cup of tea up to him and to tell him to get up. Setting the tea on the bedside cabinet, Cowley opened the curtains. He went over to wake Jonathan.

Looking at him, he saw beads of sweat on his forehead and he looked very pale. Sitting on the bed, Cowley nudged him."Jonathan, wake up, it's late"

Jonathan opened his eyes and squinted in the light."God, I feel lousy" he said.

Cowley put the back of his hand on Jonathans forehead, he had a high temperature. Jonathan started coughing badly.

"Take it easy laddie, looks like you have flu, drink this and stay in bed, I'll get
you some medicine"

"But I have to go and see Ardeth, he'll be awake now" said Jonathan sitting up. But a wave of dizziness hit him and he had to lay down again.

"You're not going anywhere laddie, I'll go and see Ardeth, you stay here. You won't be allowed in with the flu anyway, infection"

Jonathan had to agree, he felt bad and tired.

"Sir, I have to use the bathroom but every time I sit up I feel dizzy"

"It's ok, give me your arm, I'll help you" said Cowley "And it's George, I told you, come on"

Cowley helped him to the bathroom and then back into bed. He had to wrap his arm round Jonathans waist as he sagged against him on the way back.

"Take it easy, come on into bed. Get some sleep. I'll bring the medicine up and another tea before I go. Any message for Ardeth?"

Jonathan looked at Cowley a bit embarrassed. "Ach, come on, don't be shy, what do you want me to tell him?"

"Tell him I love him, Sir - George"

"I will that, laddie, I will that"

When Cowley arrived at the hospital, Dr Anderson took him to see Ardeth.

"How is he?"

"He's fine, sore of course but all the signs are good, he was asking for Jonathan"

"Jonathan is in bed with flu. Looks like that was what he was coming down with yesterday. He'll be here when he's better"

He went in to see Ardeth who was sort of sitting up.

"Hello Ardeth, how do you feel?" he asked

"Like someone has kicked me in the head but a lot better. I'm sorry I worried you Sir"

"Don't mention it, Jonathan is in bed with flu, taking care and worrying about you, he didn't look after himself"

"Is he okay?"

"Typical, always thinking of someone else. Yes laddie, he'll be fine by tomorrow or the next day. Bit of TLC is all he needs, you can get yours in here. I'll look after him for you"

"Thanks sir"

"Oh and by the way, he gave me a message for you, told me to tell you he loves you"

"He told you that, bloody hell. He must be ill to admit that to someone else"

"Love does funny things, I just wish I had..doesn't matter" said Cowley looking out of the window.

"Sir, could you get me a drink?"

"Sure" replied Cowley pouring a glass of water and helping Ardeth drink it.

He still had drips and wires in till later that day, but he looked better, not so pale as he had done.

"Sir, can I ask you a question"

"Yes Ardeth"

"Why didn't you ever find someone else, after Hamill, I mean?"

"I don't know, it took a while to get over his death, no that's wrong, I never got over his death, a while for the pain to ease. Then I found I was too old to start a new relationship and I couldn't be bothered looking"

"You're not that old sir"

"Ok, not old, scared, can you believe that. Scared of being hurt again, of hurting someone else. Of losing. I don't like to lose Ardeth"

"Funny, Jonathan has always said the same thing"

"What changed Ardeth?"

"I don't think that has changed but I think he discovered he didn't have to lose, he could love and win. It took a long while for either of us to admit our feelings. Harder for Jonathan than for me.

But I was scared sir, of losing him if I told him how I felt. To except that anyone could love me"

"Why would you think no-one could love you Ardeth?" asked Cowley sitting down.

"Because no-one ever has, my parents never did, I thought my sister did, but we haven't spoke for years. All sorts of reasons, my luck with girls was never good, how was I supposed to think a man could love me, especially one like Jonathan. I have loved him for years, never believed he could feel the same for me, till now"

"Well Jonathan does love you, I've never seen him so worried not since you were kidnapped and shot that time. By the way, did you know Tommy was gay - between you and me"

"Yes I did, guessed years ago then he told me, how did you know?"

"He told us about Cornwall, then said he knew about you and Jonathan and thought it was about time you two got your act together"

"God, was it that obvious?"

"To everyone it seems except you two. Anyway I'm going, let you get some rest. Message for Jonathan?"

"Tell him the same Sir and I hope he is feeling better"

"No leaving the hospital this time Ardeth and that is an order"

"Right sir"

Ardeth closed his eyes and was asleep pretty quick, Cowley smiled as he left. When he got back to his place, Jonathan was still asleep. Cowley made some soup and a hot drink and took them up to him. He stirred as Cowley came in.

"Feeling better Jonathan?"

"A bit si..George, how is Ardeth?"

"He is fine, sore but we had a long chat, he was worried about you. And he told me to tell you to get better soon and that he loved you"

"Thanks"

"Feel like a damn postman, on Valetines day, passing on love notes" Cowley laughed.

Cowley took Jonathans temperature, it was 101, down from earlier but still high. He helped Jonathan sit up and eat the soup and have a hot drink. He also gave him some medicine, which tasted horrible and made Jonathan cringe.

"Aren't you supposed to be at work?" asked Jonathan.

"Yes but as head of CI5, I can take some time off unless it's an emergency"

"I'm sorry to cause you all this trouble, thought it was just a cold"

"Don't worry, but of tlc and you'll be fine. When Ardeth gets out of hospital, you two are taking a holiday. I know Ardeth likes the sea so I took the liberty of booking an hotel for you at Lowestoft, all expenses paid. Then you are going to look after him till he is better. I'll sort out a flat for you by the time you get back"

"Have you told Ardeth?"

"No you can do it. He'll think I have gone soft but too bad. But I warn you, not a word about this to anyone, or they will all want it."

"Why are you doing this George?"

"Because I'm a bloody fool Jonathan and because..."

He glanced at Jonathan and Jonathan saw tears in his eyes and decided to drop the subject.

"I need the bathroom but I think I can make it myself this time"

"I'll make us a hot drink with a drop of scotch in it, won't be a minute"

He had to get out of there, he didn't want Jonathan to see his tears. He should have waited for Jonathan to get back into bed but he knew if he stayed for another minutes, he'd lose it.

Jonathan sat on the edge of the bed and then made his way to the bathroom. He felt a bit better and decided (wrongly as it turned out) to have a shower. It would make him feel fresher. He heard Cowley come back in and call out to him.

"Having a quick shower, won't be long"

Cowley put the tArdeth down and waited for Jonathan. He heard the water go off and after a few minutes, Jonathan still hadn't come out so he tapped on the door.

"Jonathan you okay in there?"

As he got no answer, he opened the door. Jonathan was laying on the floor, partly dressed. Cowley got a cloth and laid it on his forehead. He had to bring him round in there, with his leg there was no way he could carry him, which is why he did a desk job now. Slowly Jonathan came round and tried to sit up.

"Take it easy lad, what happened?"

"Must have been the heat of the shower, I felt ok till I started to dress and then the room started spinning. Sorry should have left it"

"Come on, let's get you out of here, can you stand?"

"I think so"

He got up, unsteady on his feet and with Cowleys help, he got back into bed. His temperature was up again and Cowley decided to call in the doctor.

"It's flu Mr Jonathan, there is a bad strain going round at the moment, another 24 hours in bed and you should be fine. I'll give you an injection to bring down the temperature and no more showers"

"Sorry to drag you out doctor" said Cowley.

"No problem Mr Cowley, he needed to get that down anyway, any problems call me"

Jonathan was tired and Cowley made him comfortable and sat beside him. But Jonathan couldn't get to sleep, he felt dizzy sitting up and laying down.

"Look don't read anything into this please but I'll help you get to sleep. Lay on your side"

Jonathan was unsure of what Cowley was going to do. As it turned out it was nothing drastic. Cowley sat up the bed and leaning against the headboard, rubbed Jonathans temples in small circular motions. Jonathan moaned softly.

"That's nice George"

Cowley carried on till he heard Jonathans breathing even out and he knew he was asleep. Tucking him in, he turned off the light and shut the door.

By the time 36 hours had passed, Jonathan was up and feeling better. He would go and see Ardeth and arrange to pick him up. Cowley had been in to see him every day and Ardeth knew Jonathan wasn't well."Hello sunshine, God you look better than when I last saw you, how ya feeling?"

"Feel better, headaches gone, tired but more to the point, how are you. Cowley said you had flu"

"Yeah, everything caught up with me. Had the doctor out, Cowley did, he was really worried about me after I passed out in the bathroom"

"Sit down, angel, don't want you passing out in here"

"No, flus gone. Cowley makes a great nurse but don't tell him I said so. Also he has paid for us to go on holiday for a fortnight.

Lowestoft, 3 star hotel, straight from here tomorrow. And he'll have a flat sorted out by the time we come back"

"Bloody hell, he's going senile, must be"

"That's not the best, I've been given time off to look after you till you're completely better"

"Wow"

"But he has dared us to tell anyone. The last 2 weeks, I've seen a different side to Cowley, that I never knew existed"

"I think he remembers the things he did wrong with Hamill and doesn't want us to make the same mistakes"

"I love you Ardeth, glad we've got another chance together"

"Love you too, always and forever"

Jonathan leant over and jissed Ardeth gently on the lips.

Ardeth responded and snaked his hand round the back of Jonathans neck and pulled him closer.

"Hang on, this will have to wait, what if someone comes in" said Jonathan.

"Damn you're right, wait till Lowestoft"

They arrived at the hotel and were shown to their room overlooking the sea. It had a balcony and was very big.

"Come on, into bed" said Jonathan "Doctors orders, get as much rest as possible"

"Ok but only for a while, I am tired but I'm not staying in bed all the time"

"Never said you should, now sleep, it's been a long drive and it's only 5 days since the op"

"Lay with me Jonathan, I want you to hold me while I go to sleep"

"Ok but nothing else, not just yet but I'll hold you forever if you like"

"Nah, just for a while, forever means your arms will ache"

Jonathan laughed and got in with Ardeth. He wrapped his arms round him and Ardeth laid his head on his shoulder.

Jonathan played with his curls, he had only lost a few at the back, the doctor had been very careful. As he threaded his fingers through Ardeths hair, he kissed his forehead.

"God it feels good, with you in my arms sunshine" he said "Glad it's all over"

"Yeah, don't know what I was scared about, yes I do, losing you and hurting you, that's what scared me the most, dying didn't but what it ould do to you, seeing me ill, that's what scared me and why I ran"

"You stupid sod, in a marriage, it's in sickness and in health, you know"

"Marriage, who's marriage?"

"Ours, if you'll have me, I know it's not legal but we could have our own ceremony, under the eyes of God"

Ardeth looked at him, in utter surprise.

"God, marriage, what's happened to you, not that I'm complaining but I've never known you to be religious"

"Did a lot of thinking while you were ill and I had the flu. Things Cowley said made me realize what I almost lost and how much I loved you. I know I'm hard, have to be but when it comes to you, I'm like a bat without a ball, a bird without feathers, I can't function any more alone. We're one, joined at the hip, our hearts beat as one. I want to marry you, in every sense of the word, will you?"

Ardeth was sitting up now, holding Jonathan, tears running down his face. Jonathan looked at him when he never answered. He saw the tears and wiped them with his hand.

"Sorry didn't mean to upset you sunshine" he said concerned.

"You haven't, that was the loveliest thing anyones ever said

to me and to have it come from you. I don't know what to say except, touché, in everything. Yes I'll marry you, in every sense of the word. When?"

"Tomorrow, at sunset, on the beach. But let me do everything, all you have to do is be there"

BY the time sunset had nearly arrived the next day, Jonathan had been gone for 3 hours that afternoon and Ardeth had been instructed not to leave the room and to rest. Jonathan would get him when he was ready.

He came back and got Ardeth and they walked down to the beach. A small cove by the dunes just past the lighthouse. Jonathan told Ardeth to close his eyes as they rounded the last dune. He guided him by the hand, then told him to open his eyes.

The sight that greeted Ardeth was the most wonderful thing he had ever seen. A row of candles lit a path to an arch of flowers, positioned so that the sunset was behind it. Standing there was a vicar and Cowley, Tommy and Murphy.

"What on earth" said Ardeth.

"I found a vicar to marry us, very happy too and needed witnesses didn't we" said Jonathan taking Ardeth by the hand and leading him to the vicar.

"We are gathered here, in the sight of God, to join these two men in the unity of marriage. God does not discriminate between the sexes, hust that they are committed to each other, love each other and will spend their lives together. Ardeth Ardeth will you take William Jonathan as your life long partner, in love, work and all other things. Whether rich or poor, sick or well, loving only him, till death do you part"

"I will" said Ardeth.

"Willaim Jonathan, will you take Ardeth Ardeth as your life long partner, in love, work and all othr things. Whether rich or poor, sick or well, loving only him, till death do you part"

"I will" replied Jonathan.

The vicar asked for the rings, which Jonathan got out of a box he had in his pocket. He put one on Ardeths finger.

"With this ring, I marry you, I promise to love you, take care of you, respect you and never do anything to hurt you, always"

Ardeth took the other ring and slipped it on Jonathans finger.

"With this ring, I marry you, I promise to love you always, take care of you, respect you and never do anything to hurt you, forever"

"With all that these two people have declared and promised, in the sight of God and witnesses, I pronounce that they are married and are free to live their lifes for each other. You may kiss your ..partner"

Ardeth kissed Jonathan and they hugged each other. Cowley and the others clapped, and both Ardeth and Jonathan had tears in their eyes.

"God Jonathan, that was the most wonderfule thing, you are such a romantic"

"Wanted it to be right, didn't I, to show you I was serious about us and that I loved you"

"Oh Jonathan I love you so much, no-one loved anyone like I do you. By the way where did you get the vicar?"

"Church up the road, he was happy to do it, couldn't marry us in church, but it is still legal in his eyes and Gods"

Cowley and them went back to the hotel, after the bits and pieces were over, while Ardeth and Jonathan stayed on the beach where Jonathan had got a table with food and champagne on it. He lit the candles round it and they sat down. After eating, they walked along the beach, hand in hand, the sun just about gone behind the cliff.

"Happy?" asked Jonathan.

"More than happy, sweetheart, I love you"

"I love you, let's go back to the hotel, you have to rest still and I want you in every way possible, it's been too long"

They kissed each other and walked back to the hotel. Happy that they had another chance of love. As they walked into the hotel, they saw Cowley and co in the bar. They left them there.

"Wonder if Cowley will ever find anyone else?" said Ardeth.

"Don't know, maybe, one day. Ardeth when we get back to London, I'm handing in my resignation to CI5, now we've been given another chance, I don't want to risk my life or have you risk yours any more, what do you say? Shall we go back to Egypt?"

"Took the words right out of my mouth. Cowley won't like it though"

"Tough, but I think he'll understand, don't you?"

"Yeah, come on, let's go to bed and start our new life"

"Anything you say, sunshine, anything you say" said Jonathan following him with a grin on his face.


The end.