Jack of Hearts

by tiaoconnell & firechild

based on The Mummy Returns

Rated PG

Warnings: McGuffins/easter eggs abound; spanking in near future.

Disclaimers: The O'Connells and Jonathan belong to the originators; Susan belongs to her family; Jack is owned by Tia (firechild retains a share); the courier is owned by firechild (Tia retains a share); we are not making any money off of this and we didn't really have any to start with, so.... lemme check.....

nope, suing us would be pretty much pointless. ;)

Feedback is like air to us! tiaoconnell@yahoo.com


Jack of Hearts
by tiaoconnell & firechild


The size of the mansion didn't seem to bother the tall, slender, distinguished gentleman standing at the front door in a dark porter's uniform with the insignia of middle nobility on the polished buttons. He simply knocked three times on the massive oak door, somehow managing to come away with his gloved knuckles still clean and white, and placed his hands at his sides to wait.

He had been commissioned to deliver a package, and he would present his priceless cargo in the same condition in which he had obtained it.

The figure slightly behind him and to the left didn't maintain such composure. Black lace-up boots, scuffed nearly gray and peeling at the toes and soles; well-worn brown dungarees thinning at the knees and seat; threadbare shirt-originally white, originally with cuffs-buttoned up and tucked messily; frayed brown suspenders fastened on the left with a proper clasp and on the right with two safety pins; floppy brown newsie cap shading marine-blue eyes that fairly snapped with command and curiosity.

This was by far not the largest package Pennyworth had delivered in his years of service--actually, if one could manage to get it to stand still one would see that it only reached Pennyworth's hip and was only slightly broader than a handspan--but it was most definitely the most mobile and the second-most precious item ever placed in his charge (the most precious being each of his children.)

The package gave a groan of impatience. "Stupid, they didn't hear ya!" It walked right up to the door and kicked it with all its strength several times, making smudges on the ornate door. The package looked at him and smirked. One could always kick--especially when one couldn't reach the door knocker to begin with!!

The package aimed and fired another boot at the door.. only to find that the door was no longer there to connect with. Instead of the uniquely satisfying thunk that resounded behind the wood with each kick, the boot sailed over the threshold and came down flat on its sole on black-and-white marble, just in front of a pair of large dark brown boots.

Thrown off balance, the package lunged forward, saved from a precipitous meeting with the marble by the stunning reflexes of both the porter and the owner of the brown boots. "Well, what do we have here?"

Heaving from the exhilaration of nearly falling, the package snapped its head up, looking for the owner of the voice, and found a pair of wary but kind green eyes set in a rugged face that made no apologies for the lines it had earned. The voice, the eyes, the cheekbones, and the jaw were all just as strong as his hands, and somehow just as reassuring. They were also rather confused.

Once Rick O'Connell was quite sure that the little scamp at his feet was standing securely without help, he rose from his crouch just as the porter did the same. "Excuse me-am I missing something?"

"Sir, may I inquire after a Mr. Jonathan Carnahan?"

Rick's eyes narrowed slightly. "You can inquire all you want-he's out and won't be back until sometime tonight. Something I can do for you?"

The porter raised his eyebrows, nodding slightly. "I assume, then, that you are Mr. Roderick O'Connell, and that your wife is Evelyn O'Connell, Mr. Carnahan's sister?" Pennyworth could see the affirmative in Rick's eyes.

"Yeah, I'm HUNGRY!!!" the package shouted.

"Very good, then, sir, if you would be so kind as to simply sign here." Pennyworth produced a sheaf of official documents and a rather ornate pen, olding them out for Rick's use.

Rick took the papers, glanced over them quickly for any mention of mummies or sarcophagi or scorpions, found none, and quickly signed where indicated. He handed the papers and pen back to the porter and awaited the turnover.

He was rather surprised when Pennyworth simply nodded to him and then to the child on the threshold, bid them both good day, and quietly took himself out of the scene.

-----

end part 1