Title: Gifts And Loyalty

Author/pseudonym: kristin

Fandom: The Mummy Returns

Pairing: Ardeth/Jonathan

Rating: NC-17

Status: complete, posted in parts

Archive: I would like for this story to be included in the WWOMB.

Feedback: yes of course

E-mail address for feedback:
kristnbdgr@aol.com or on this site.

Series/Sequel: Sixth part in the The Falcon and the Dove series

Disclaimers: I don't own anything and am just playing

Notes: Like I've said before, there was FOUR parts to this series. Four. But someone keeps insisting that there are many more parts to be written. For which I am forever grateful. :P

Summary: When what should have been an easy exchange of gifts nearly becomes tragedy, both Jonathan and Ardeth have to decide exactly where their loyalties truly lie.


Gifts And Loyalty
By kristnbdgr

Ardeth Bay stopped to watch a group of children clustered around Jonathan Carnahan as the man told them what was obviously an extremely entertaining story. With many hand gestures and funny faces, the Englishman led them on an adventure that had them sitting in rapt attention one minute and bursting into giggles the next. Ardeth smiled, watching, until his mate looked up, catching his eye.

"All right, that's it for today." Jon said, standing and brushing the sand off his clothes amid a rush of protests from his audience. "Your amir has come to find me so I must go."

Ardeth moved into the throng of a dozen children.

"If you were not finished, I can wait." He said softly, squeezing Jon's hand briefly.

"No. It's better to leave them wanting more, isn't it?" He bent and tickled one little girl's sides, sending her into a gale of laughter. "All right, see you all tomorrow. Be good."

They ran in different directions and soon the two men were left alone.

"You are a fine storyteller, muHabb." Ardeth took his hand and they walked toward their home.

"Yes. I've had a lot of experience. All those years of babysitting Alex." Jon explained with a smile. "Still, it keeps them occupied and out of their parents' hair for a bit."

"Which has undoubtedly won you favor with the entire tribe."

Bay grinned at him.

"Undoubtedly. Are you finished for today?" He asked, pushing open the door to their home.

"Yes. Things have been peaceful of late and there is little to do other than patrol the sacred sites." Ardeth told him, sitting down to unfasten his boots. "It leaves me more time for other
pursuits."

"Oh? And what did you have in mind?" Carnahan inquired, eyebrow quirked.

He knelt in front of his lover and pulled his boots off, setting them aside.

"Perhaps we could spend the night in the desert." Bay ventured. "There is nothing urgent here that I am needed for. It's been several weeks since we had time alone."

"That's true." Jon settled on his knees in front of the other man and began to loosen the ties of his robes. "Three weeks is a long time for you not to scream with passion at my very touch."

Ardeth chuckled, reaching out to run his fingers through the brown curls.

"I love you, habibi." He said softly.

Jonathan met his gaze. "And I you." He eased the robes off the other man, then rose to pull the shirt he wore over his head. "Come on, stand up so I can get those trousers off."

Ardeth frowned slightly, but complied.

"Do you mean to have me stand naked in the front room where anyone could see me?" He asked, amusement edging his voice.

"You know they have to knock first. Around here, I think they're afraid not to knock." Jon said absently, fingers unfastening his pants and pushing them down. "And yes, that's exactly what I
mean to do."

"I see." Ardeth stepped out of his clothes and began to unbutton his lover's shirt. "I have been thinking.."

"Oh dear, that's never good." Jon grinned at him, leaning in to swipe at Ardeth's throat with the flat of his tongue.

Bay's answer was a swat to Jon's butt before going back to unbuttoning his shirt. "I thought that perhaps you could wear robes while you are here." He cocked his head as he eyed the other man. "If you would like to. They are cooler than your clothes and easier to move in." He shrugged. "It is just an idea."

Jonathan paused. "Well. is that all right? I mean, I've had them on briefly in the past, but only because it was some emergency or other. Wouldn't they mind if I actually wore your clothes?" His brow furrowed.

"I was thinking of getting you your own robes." Bay joked, knowing that wasn't what he'd meant.

"Ardeth."

"No, of course no one would mind. You are a part of this tribe and Medjai robes are the dress of our people. But it's your choice. If you will not be comfortable, then don't change."

"Hum." Jonathan nodded, non-committedly, hands on Bay's hips.

"And," Ardeth continued casually, slipping the shirt off Jonathan's shoulders. "I thought that perhaps when we are elsewhere. Visiting the O'Connells or traveling. perhaps I would forego the
robes and wear just my shirt and trousers."

He waited for his lover's reaction.

"Really?" The corner of his mouth quirked in a smile.

Ardeth nodded. "I think it is time for us to take another step in conforming to each other's worlds." He smiled. "If it would please you."

"It would." Jon said softly. "Very much."

He reached out to caress Ardeth's neck with gentle fingertips.

"Thank you."

Busy fingers unzipped Jon's pants and rid him of the remaining clothes until they both stood naked.

"We should have thought about eating." Bay ventured, already feeling his belly tighten with arousal for his mate.

"Oh, I am." Jon said, fingers carding through the dark hair. "Just not about food."

"I see.."

*

"Rick are you sure that's a good idea?" His wife asked, sitting next to him on the sofa. "You're not going to get arrested or anything are you?" She grinned at him.

"Hope not." He shrugged, then grinned back. "Naw, it'll be fine. It's just some of the guys from the legion that made it through Hamanaptura with me, that's all. I'll be back by tomorrow night."

"Well it's fine with me. Alex and I can have a day together doing all the boring things you hate like learning hieroglyphics and such."

O'Connell rolled his eyes. "Great. Sorry I'm going to miss it."

Laughing, she pushed him onto his back on the sofa, crawling on top of him.

"Well, since I won't see you for an entire day, perhaps we should make up for the lost time now."

Rick wound his fingers into her silky hair.

"Sounds good to me."

*

Jonathan picked his head up off his lover's chest. They had never made it to the bedroom and lay, sated and dozing, on the living room floor. Jonathan glanced at the clock beside him on a low table,
noting it was nearly 8:00 in the evening.

"I think it's too late to start on your desert retreat, my love." He said, kissing the full lips as Ardeth stirred beside him. "But we shall do it soon."

The Medjai rolled over and sat up, stroking lightly down Jon's arm.

"We can go tomorrow." He said, voice heavy from sleep. "Unless something happens, there's no reason not to." He leaned forward to kiss Jonathan's neck, biting lightly then licking the tender skin.

Jon glanced away, then back to Ardeth, fingers smoothing along his side.

"Well, actually I thought maybe I'd visit Evy and Alex for a day or two." He shrugged. "Just to make sure everything's all right."

"Do you have reason to think it isn't?" Ardeth asked, concern in the brown eyes.

"No. Not at all. But I miss Alex." He smiled ruefully. "You could join me night after tomorrow when the counsel meeting is over." He wiggled his eyebrows. "Almost as good as the desert and the bed is softer."

Bay chuckled. "That it is. All right, that is what we will do. You go tomorrow and I will join you the next evening."

Jonathan grinned. "Sounds like a good plan." He leaned in to lick the tip of Ardeth's nose.

"We should think about dinner." The Medjai reminded him.

"I'll sit with you while you eat but I'm really not very hungry." Jonathan told him, cringing slightly as he sat up.

Bay watched him, noting the discomfort with concern.. "Jon, you haven't been eating enough. It's not good for you."

He stood up.

"Don't fuss at me Ardeth. It's just the heat. takes my appetite away."

"Still, you must eat. I wouldn't want you to faint on the road. Your sister would have my head." Bay laughed, pulling the other man up, noting how his lover favored one side as he rose. "And
my tribe would think I was mistreating you."

"Well, we can't have that." Jon laughed, reaching for his clothes. "We need to keep up your image of the benevolent leader."

He laughed again as Ardeth rolled his eyes. "Let's get dressed and see what's to be had."

"All right."

*

The next afternoon Evy was surprised to see her brother ride into the yard.

"Jonathan!" She went outside, hugging him. "What are you doing here?"

"I just came to take the old car out." He told her, referring to his yellow Duesenberg. "It hasn't been driven for a few months and I really need to take it on a road trip."

"Do you want some company?" She asked. "Rick is going to spend the day and evening with some of his old buddies from the Legion. Alex and I could come with you?"

"Um. nothing I'd like better, but I may just drive it back to the village." He said, referring to the Medjai's permanent home.

"You mean you're not even staying to visit?" She asked, disappointed. "Alex will be crushed."

Jon leaned in to kiss her cheek. "Don't tell him I was here. Ardeth and I plan to come back in a day or two."

She brightened at that. "Oh, all right then."

"Hey, Jonathan!"

They turned to see O'Connell striding toward them, a small bag in hand.

"Hello Rick."

The men shook hands and Jon nodded to his case.

"You meeting your friends in Cairo?"

"Yep. I was just going to take off." He kissed Evy. "You two be good. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon."

"All right."

"Rick, I'm going to take the car out. Would you like a ride to town?" Jon asked.

"Yeah, that'd be great. I can have one of them run me back home tomorrow." He hugged his wife.

"You're sure, Rick?" Evy worried. "I mean, what if you get stuck?"

He shrugged. "I'll buy a horse. Don't worry about it." He turned to Jonathan. "Let's get Whisper settled and take off. I told the guys I'd meet them at about two o'clock."

"Right."

Evy watched the two walk off. Maybe the ride together into town would do them good, she mused. She wished they were closer.

She knew her husband liked Jonathan very much and vice versa, but it had been a long time developing that affection and neither of them had really expressed it to the other. With an inward shrug she went into the house to fix lunch for her son.

*

"Well, that worked pretty well." Jonathan commented as they pulled out of the drive onto the road. "I don't think she suspected a thing."

Rick grinned. "Nope. Pretty slick. So, where is this dig your friend's at?"

"Map's right here.." He reached in his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. "Not too far, actually."

O'Connell studied the map and nodded. "Yeah. We should be able to get there and back by tomorrow afternoon, no problem."

"I hope this is really what Franklin told me it was."

Carnahan said. "He's been known to exaggerate somewhat."

"Well, he copied some of the inscription in the letter he sent you right?" Rick glanced at his companion.

"Yes. Seems to be an embroidered armband belonging to Nefertiri. quite a find actually. A gift from her father. Evy will love it."

"And some recording of the Medjai's history, right?"

"Yes, it sounds like a stelae with quite a recording of some historical feats of the Medjai tribes. Ardeth's in particular."

Jonathan grinned. "He should be pleased to have it."

O'Connell marveled again at the unlikely pair.

"You're really happy with him, aren't you?"

Jonathan met his brother-in-laws gaze with such a deep honesty that it startled Rick.

"Yes. He makes me happier than I ever thought I'd be, Rick. Sometimes I wonder what I've done in my wretched life that got me such a wonderful man."

They drove in silence for a long time, each with their own thoughts, and then talked about world events, sports and how they were going to present their gifts.

*

They spent the night at Franklin's dig and were more than satisfied with the articles he sold them. After breakfast the two men drove back toward Cairo, intending to have lunch and then head
for the O'Connell home. They were about half way to the city when suddenly the wind picked up and the sand began to move around them, biting their skin and stinging their eyes.

"Dammit, just what we need!" Rick groused. "A sandstorm."

Jonathan agreed and slowed the car to a crawl, his vision obscured by the moving sand.

"I think we're going to have to stop and wait it out, Rick!"

Jon yelled above the wind. "I can't see where I'm going!"

"Yeah-Hey!"

He grabbed onto the windscreen and the door as suddenly the car careened down a sharp slope, sliding fast through the sand, despite Jonathan's efforts to stop it.

"Look out, Rick!" Was the last thing O'Connell heard before he was thrown from the car as it impacted against something in the swirling sand.

*

Rick opened his eyes to find the wind had stopped and the sand settled back to Earth where it belonged. He started to roll onto his side. Pain shot through him, making him cry out as it stole
his breath and the edges of his vision darkened.

When he opened his eyes again, he saw the car half-buried in a sand dune. It didn't look too damaged but, he reflected, it was hard to tell with the front half of it obscured by sand.

"Jonathan!" Carefully he rolled over and sat up, taking stock of his body and deciding that he was basically unharmed. "Jonathan?"

Struggling to his feet, Rick stumbled to the car and found his brother-in-law slumped over the steering wheel, unconscious.

"Jonathan!" O'Connell gently slapped the his cheeks, then reached for his bag, pulling out a canteen. He forced some of the water down the man's throat and he roused, coughing and pushing at O'Connell.

"Rick.. What. oh my poor car." He said sadly. "I'm going to have to have it fixed again."

"Maybe not." Rick reasoned. "Could just be buried." He opened the car door and took Jonathan's arm. "Come on. are you hurt?"

"Ohhhh..." The Englishman groaned. "I think I slammed into the wheel."

Jon turned to step out of the car and sank to his knees in the sand, arms around his stomach. "Oh God Rick!"

"What?"

Shoving back his panic that Jonathan had been seriously injured, O'Connell helped him to stand and then led him to the other side of the car, the sand shaded by its shadow. "Here, lay down and let me see if I can see where it hit you."

Carefully Rick unbuttoned Jon's shirt and inspected his stomach and chest for bruising.

"I don't see anything. Looks like you might have hit your side on the edge of it, there's a bruise forming here." He traced a path on the front of Jon's stomach with his finger. "But that shouldn't be enough to give you that much pain."

"Oh God, it feels like. shooting pain in my stomach." He gasped, finding it hard to pull in enough air. "Oh, Rick. " He lay with his eyes closed, panting slightly now. "Maybe if I rest for a bit it'll ease up."

"Let me go check the car." O'Connell said, going to the front of the Duesenberg.

He dug the front of it out and discovered two flat tires but otherwise the car seemed in sound condition. He went back to report to his friend and found him unconscious again.

Rick felt his forehead; he was running a slight fever.

"Jonathan, so help me if you're seriously hurt I'm gonna kill you." O'Connell muttered, wetting a cloth and running it over the other man's face and neck. "Because Evy and Ardeth will kill me!"

*

It was nearly four o'clock when Ardeth Bay rode into the O'Connell yard and took his horse to the stables. After putting Ruhrub in his stall, he stopped to stroke Whisper, then headed for the house. Since Jonathan's horse was here he assumed the family was home.

"Ardeth!" Evelyn hugged him, then stood aside for him to enter. "What are you doing here?" She looked behind him. "Isn't Jonathan with you?"

Bay stared at her. "Isn't he here?"

"No." The laughter left her eyes and she closed the door behind him. "He came yesterday and took the car. he said he might drive it back to the village and then the two of you would come for a visit in a few days."

"He left yesterday morning, saying he wanted to spend some time with you and Alex." Bay told her. "I was to meet him here tonight after the counsel meeting." He frowned. "I'm a bit early
because the meeting was put off, but I expected him to be here."

"Yes." She chewed her lip. "He drove Rick into town.. He's visiting some friends." She trailed off, not liking where this was leading.

"We will go into town and see if we can find someone who saw them." Ardeth decided, heading for the door again. "Bashan is in Cairo. I will send him back to bring some of my warriors."

"Shouldn't we wait to see if something really has happened to them?"

"No. I think we can reasonably assume that something has."

Bay said grimly. "Where is Alex?"

"He's staying with a friend, thank goodness." She replied.

"Then let us go." Ardeth urged, turning toward the door.

*

Rick sat beside his brother-in-law, mopping his face with a damp cloth while Jon tossed on the sand, crying out in his sleep.

"Jonathan." He touched his cheek, hoping to at least bring him around long enough to find out where the pain was coming from. "Wake up."

A hand came up to grasp his and Jonathan turned to kiss his fingers. "Ardeth." He murmured, his grip going slack.

O'Connell swallowed hard and pulled his hand gently out of Jon's grip, lightly tapping his face. "Come on, wake up for me."

Blue eyes opened to gaze up at him, puzzled and filled with pain.

"Oh God Rick! It hurts.." He ground out, rolling onto his side, arms wrapped around himself.

"What hurts, Jonathan?" O'Connell tried to roll him back over, but the man resisted. "Tell me where you're hurting."

"My stomach. Shooting pains in my stomach that go right up through my chest. I can't breathe, Rick! I can't breathe!"

"Okay, okay, calm down."

"I didn't hit the wheel that hard, I know I didn't."

Carnahan told him, grimacing as another wave of pain shot through him. "Why . oh, God.."

Feeling more helpless than he could remember since Evy had `died', Rick put a hand on his friend's back, gently rubbing.

"Listen, I think I can change the tires. then we can get you to the hospital."

"All --- good. Good.."

Jonathan sat up then, fingers digging into his abdomen and vomited into the sand. With a whimpered cry he lay back down, drawing his knees up to this chest.

"Oh my stomach is cramping. I-- dear God.."

"Shit!" Rick swore, looking frantically around. "Look, I'm going to see if I can get the car fixed. You lay as quiet as you can, alright?"

Getting a sharp nod from his companion, the American dug the jack out of the car's tool box and ran to the front of the car.

*

"Bashan!"

Ardeth urged his horse faster as he spotted his second. The big Medjai turned at his friend's voice and stopped.

"Ardeth, what is it?" Bashan knew his leader well enough to know that something had happened. Bay's expression left little doubt of that.

"I fear that something has happened to Jonathan and O'Connell." He said, dismounting beside his friend. "I need to send the two men who rode with us back to the village for a dozen warriors and the healer."

"As many as that, Ardeth?" Evy asked, climbing off her horse.

"In case there is trouble, yes. We can spare them at the moment and I would rather not need them than have the need and not have sent for enough men."

She nodded. "All right."

"I will see to it, Amir and then I will join you in the search." Bashan said.

"We will be asking who might have seen them yesterday."

Ardeth told him. "Find us and when we have enough information, we will act upon it."

*

After what seemed like hours of frustrating attempts at changing the flat tires, Rick dropped onto the sand beside his brother-in-law.

"Jonathan." He bathed the man's face with a damp cloth. "Wake up, come on."

His eyelids fluttered open, revealing blue eyes clouded with pain.

"Rick-"

"How ya doin'?" He asked, worry clear in his voice. "How's your stomach?"

"Hurts." Jonathan swallowed hard, licking dry lips. "Feels like I've got a bellyful of glass." He shivered and Rick shrugged out of his jacket to lay it over Jon. "I'm freezing suddenly!" He
wrapped his arms around himself and continued to shiver. "Why does this sort of thing always happen to me?" He demanded.

"I don't know." O'Connell shook his head. "It does seem to, though. Look, I tried to change the tires but the sand keeps shifting. I can't get the jack solid enough."

"Great." Carnahan muttered, the rolled violently onto his side and vomited again, this time bringing up a nasty bile that Rick didn't like the look of at all.

"What the hell did you do to yourself, Jonathan?" He demanded, worry getting the better of his temper. "You been in an accident lately?"

"No." The man said, shaking his head. "Can I have some water, Rick? I'm so thirsty."

"Yeah, sure." Gently he propped Jonathan up enough to let him sip from the canteen, then lowered him back to the sand. "It's going to start getting cold out here pretty soon. Do you keep a blanket or anything in the car?"

"Yes. In the box strapped to the back there are blankets."

He panted, breath coming harder now. "And water."

"Okay, good."

He got up to retrieve the blankets, then covered his friend with them.

"That better?"

"A little bit, yes." He looked up at the American. "I'm sorry Rick. I didn't mean to get us into such a mess."

"Hey, not your fault." O'Connell assured him, dread creeping through him. "Just think about how tickled Ardeth is going to be when you give him that stelae."

"Yes." Jon's smile was shaky, but genuine. "He will be pleased. And so will Evy."

"Yeah. Just concentrate on that, huh? We'll make it out of here."

"Right."

Jonathan lay with his eyes closed now, breathing heavily through his mouth. Sweat ran in rivulets down his face and yet he shivered under the blankets. Rick tried to figure out what had happened that could have caused this reaction to what was really a minor car crash. They'd done worse in Cairo when Jonathan had run the car into a fountain. Why was he reacting to strongly now?

Obviously there was internal damage. But from what?

"Jonathan." He put a hand on the man's shoulder, shaking gently. "Wake up."

The blue eyes reluctantly opened. "What?"

"Has anything happened in the last couple of months? You fall off your horse or get in a fist fight or anything..?" He trailed off with a shrug.

"No, nothing." Jonathan licked his lips, and O'Connell helped him sip at the water again. "You know me, Rick. I'm not the fist fight type."

"Yeah, I know." The American smoothed damp hair from his forehead, noting the skin was feverish. "I was just tryin' to figure out what was causing this. Banging your stomach on that wheel did not do this."

Carnahan curled onto his side, arms wrapped around his knees as the pain shot through him, making him cry out with it. O'Connell put a hand to his back, rubbing gently, but he felt as if he were watching Jonathan deteriorate before his eyes and couldn't do anything to help him. He couldn't even get him comfortable!

"Oh!"

Jon jerked up on his elbows to throw up in the sand again and this time he brought up blood. Sinking, exhausted, onto his side again, the Englishman drifted into a restless sleep. Rick felt a
very real panic clench his chest. Jonathan was going to die. He was going to die and there was nothing he could do about it.

With renewed determination, the American rose and went back to try changing the tires again.

*

"Ardeth, will the Medjai know which route we've taken?" Evy asked as they rode in the direction several people in town had seen the yellow car depart in.

"Yes." He scanned the horizon, his heart racing with dread and the need to hurry. "They will intercept us in a few hours. He fell into silence that Evy finally broke, voicing his own thoughts.
"What do you think they're up to?"

Bay shook his head. "I don't know. I have been trying to think of something that would make them steal away together without telling us, but I cannot."

"It just doesn't make any sense!" She exclaimed, frustrated. "Why would they lie about it?

Obviously they made up elaborate stories to tell each of us and all the time they were going off together. but why?"

Again the Medjai shook his head. "I do not know." He turned to give her an encouraging smile. "We will have to ask them when we find them."

"After I wring both their necks." She said grimly, worry clear in the brown eyes.

"Indeed." Bay agreed.

"It's been almost a day since they've been missing." She fretted. "Anything could have happened to them."

"Yes." Ardeth agreed, reaching out to squeeze the hand that rested against her saddle. "But they are both strong and resourceful. Perhaps something happened to the car and they are stranded. I know that Jonathan carries food and water and blankets in his car. They will be all right, we just must find them."

She smiled her thanks at his logical argument and felt somewhat better. It was true, both men knew how to survive in the desert and with any luck they'd be found before nightfall. Glancing
at Bashan to gauge his reaction to Bay's argument, she frowned. He rode silently, brow furrowed with what she could only assume was worry.

*

`Ardeth - where was Ardeth? So much pain - red, ripping -

Ardeth would help him. Ardeth always helped him. Where was he?

A hopelessness seized him, pulling him down in the mire of pain and confusion that plucked at him.

"Jonathan-"

From a distance. had he heard someone? Who was calling?

"Ardeth?"

"Come on, Jonathan. Wake up."

Jon opened his eyes, blinking hard to clear bleary vision.

"Rick?"

"Yeah. I want you to stay awake. It's starting to get cold."

"No luck with the car?"

Carnahan's voice was so weak, Rick had to strain to hear him.

"No. I tried pushing it to firmer ground but it's too heavy."

"I want Ardeth." Jon groused. "Not that I'm not fond of you Rick, but if I'm going to die-"

"Stop that!" The American snapped, worry sharpening his tone. "You're not going to die."

"Feels like it." Jonathan gasped, clutching his stomach again. "Oh Christ! It hurts so much!"

He rolled over and vomited again, and O'Connell saw there was more blood this time. Dear God. He got the man resettled and tucked the blankets around him.

"Just rest. Evy'll miss me soon and come looking."

"How-how long-" He swallowed. "Have we been here?"

"About ten hours." Rick told him.

"Yes. Ardeth. he'll be there."

"At the house?"

Jon nodded. "He was supposed to come after his meeting."

His eyes closed briefly as Jon struggled to get his breath around the near-constant pain in his belly and chest. Finally he looked up at Rick again.

"Listen, Rick, I need you to tell Ardeth something for me. If. If-"

"Jonathan!" O'Connell cried. "You gonna be fine!"

"Please, Rick."

The desperate plea brought him up.

"All right." He agreed reluctantly. "But don't you die on me Jonathan! I went through that once already with them and I'm not doing it again!"

The Englishman smiled, wearily. "I'll try. Just tell Ardeth that I love him more than I ever thought I could love anyone or anything - including my own life. He has given me more joy in the time I've known him than I've ever had."

O'Connell blinked back tears and grasped his friend's shoulder.

"I'll tell him. Then you can tell him yourself when you're better."

"And Evy." Jon continued as if Rick hadn't spoken. "She was all the family I had for so long. She's so precious to me, Rick."

"She knows that." Rick laid a hand on Jon's arm. "She loves you very much."

Jonathan gasped as pain shot through him, then he nodded. "I know. She always has. even when there really wasn't very much about me to love."

"That's not true. You've always been her big brother and she's always adored you." O'Connell told him firmly. "You're a good man, Jonathan. We need you here. You're important to too many people's lives."

Tears slipped down Jon's cheeks, whether from the pain or his words, Rick couldn't tell. But, he though, at least this was keeping the injured man awake and much as he didn't want to admit it, Rick was worried about him.

He squeezed Jon's arm. "Evy's so happy that you're with Ardeth. She wants you to be happy so much."

"I am." Jon covered Rick's hand with his own. "I am happier than I have a right to be."

"Naw." The adventurer disagreed. "I'd say you got pretty much what you deserved."

"Maybe we all did." Jon said softly.

There was silence for awhile, then Jonathan spoke quietly.

"I've never been prouder, you know, than when Alex told Ardeth that I was his best friend. Alex has always been such a bright spot in my useless life." He smiled at Rick. "Thank you both for letting me be such a large part of his life."

"Oh, Jonathan." God he hated this. "We've always known he was safe and happy with you. We couldn't have asked for a better uncle for him."

He glanced away, then back to meet Jon's gaze.

"You know, sometimes Evy and I get so wrapped up in each other we. we don't pay enough attention to Alex. Not that we don't love him so much it hurts, but ..."

"Alex knows that Rick."

O'Connell nodded. "Yeah. Anyway, it's good to know he's with somebody who loves him."

Another tear slipped down Jonathan's cheek.

"Thank you Rick."

Rick gathered his courage. "Back at Ahm Shere. after that bitch stuck her knife into Evy." He swallowed hard, the memory still so painful. "I didn't expect to come out of there alive. I just
hoped I could take that bastard and his queen down with me."

"I know." Jon squeezed his hand. "I understood."

"Yeah, I know. But I should have thought more about Alex."

He met the other man's gaze. "But I knew that if I left him with you and didn't come back. " He shrugged a shoulder, embarrassed suddenly. "I knew that he'd be okay with you. That you'd take care of him."

"Always, Rick."

O'Connell nodded, then cleared this throat. "But you're still not dyin', all right?"

He helped Jonathan take another drink of water, then settled him back on the ground.

"We've never really been close, I know, and."

He broke off, uncertain of how to express what he felt for the other man.

"It's all right, Rick." Jon patted his arm. "I care about you, too.

O'Connell grinned at him.

END PART 1