Title: Demons and Heroes

Author/pseudonym: Kristnbdgr

Fandom: The Mummy Returns

Pairing: Ardeth/Jonathan

Rating: NC-17 - No doubt about it for m/m sex.

Status: new, complete

Archive: yes, please

Feedback: Is very nice and highly appreciated

E-mail: kristnbdgr@aol.com

Series/Sequel: This is the 3rd story of at least a 4 part series

Other websites: none

Disclaimers: sadly, I do not own them.

Summary: When the tribes decide Ardeth needs to find a wife and provide them with a heir, he and Jonathan fight. Jonathan leaves, only to be kidnapped by Medjai rebels.


Demons and Heroes
By Kristin



Evelyn O'Connell jumped as a clap of thunder sounded, lighting shooting across the sky.

"Quite a storm." Her husband commented, coming into the living room. "I'm glad we're not out in it."

"Rick, is that the bell?" Evy started for the front door, followed closely by O'Connell.

"You stay here. I'll see who it is."

"Rick-" she protested, but nevertheless stayed where she was.

Ever since he'd returned from Egypt some months before, where he, her brother and their friend Ardeth Bay had banished an evil creature to the Underworld, Rick had been acting over-protective toward her and their son, Alex. After a few initial protests, Evy had decided to let him be, hoping he'd get over it sooner. She sighed. So far he'd shown no sign of it.

She heard the howl of the wind and rain as Rick opened the door, then heard it slam. Her husband was talking to someone and their voices were getting closer.

"What the hell are you doing out in this weather?" She heard him ask as they entered the room. She was astonished to see her brother, Jonathan Carnahan. She noticed that while his leg was no longer in a cast, he walked with the help of a cane.

"Jonathan!"

Evy ran to her brother, but he held up his hands.

"Don't hug me, Evy. I'm soaking."

"Jonathan why are you here?" She repeated her husband's question. "And where's Ardeth? Is he here with you?"

A haunted look flickered in his eyes, then was gone.

"No." Was all he said.

Deciding to leave that for later, Evy drew him to an overstuffed chair by the fire while Rick went to pour him a whiskey.

"I-I-I'm all right, Ev-y." Jonathan stammered, teeth chattering as his sister pulled his coat off and drew an afghan around his shoulders. "I just need to get warm. Between the boat and the taxi, I've been out in this damnable weather for hours."

"Here, this'll help." O'Connell handed him a glass, then went to stoke the fire.

"Bless you." Jonathan gazed into the amber liquid for a long moment, then drained the drink, relishing the warmth as it spread through him. He'd stopped drinking some months before, but now seemed a good time to exercise a small relapse.

"Jonathan," Evy knelt at his feet, pulling off sodden shoes. "Why are you here? You're always welcome, but is everything all right?"

Carnahan's sigh was almost a shudder.

"Nothing is right, Old Mum. But I'll tell you both about it in the morning. All I want right now is a hot bath, another one of these..." he held up the empty glass, which O'Connell took, "And a warm bed."

"Well...." She eyed him uncertainly. "How's your leg? Is it healing?"

"Yes, the cane is just a bit of support. Another week or so and I'll be good as new."

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about whatever's wrong, now?" Evy persisted hopefully.

Jonathan leaned forward to kiss the tip of her nose. "I promise. I'll tell you the whole, sorted story. Just not now. I feel like complete crap."

"I'll bet." Rick handed him a full glass of whiskey and helped him up. "Why don't you go on up and we'll talk in the morning."

He gave his wife a stern look and she rolled her eyes, nodding.

Grateful for his brother-in-law's support for once, the Englishman mounted the staircase and headed for his room.

Below, his family watched, concerned.

"Rick," Evy said when her brother was out of earshot. "Something's happened."

"Yeah." O'Connell nodded grimly. "I'd bet on it."

"Something to do with Ardeth." She looked up at her husband, who nodded.

"Well, we'll find out about it in the morning."

She started for the stairs. "I'll go up and make his bed while he's in the bath."

"Evy, don't quiz him tonight."

She smiled and squeezed his hand. "I won't. We'll find out what it's about in the morning. But Rick, I think you should cable Ardeth."

"Yeah." The American agreed. "First thing in the morning. Something is definitely not right here."

"Yes, and if it has to do with Ardeth you can bet that they've finally hit a snag in their relationship."

O'Connell frowned. "Why do you say that?"

"Because," his wife started up the stairs. "If Ardeth were in danger, Jonathan would have told us by now."

Rick had to concede that she had a point.

*************

"Bashan-"

"I could not stop him, Amir." The leader of the sixth tribe and Ardeth's oldest friend told him. "You know how stubborn Jonathan can be."

Ardeth smiled ruefully. "Yes, that I do know." He frowned, eyes troubled as he gazed out across the sand. "Especially when he's hurt."

"Mohammad should not have said the things he did, but it's done." Bashan said reasonably. "Go after him, Ardeth. You know that he's gone to the O'Connell's."

"I don't know that." Ardeth nearly snapped at his friend. "He could be anywhere. Travelling... anywhere..." he finished softly.

"But he's not. He would go to his sister. He feels that you have been shut off from him. He will go to his family."

"I am his family!" Ardeth almost shouted.

"Then prove it to him." Bashan said, eyes imploring. "Don't let him continue to believe that he is not worthy of your love, Ardeth. It will be far too easy for him to believe it in his heart."

"You are right." Ardeth sighed. "Prepare my horse. I will leave as soon as I can pack a small bag."

"As you say, Amir"

Bashan turned to do his leader's bidding, a smile on his handsome face.

******

It was early afternoon when Jonathan descended the stairs, feeling more like himself, if not any more optimistic about his future. At least he was dry and he was about to be fed and miracle of all miracles, he didn't seem to have caught pneumonia.

"You're up!" His sister greeted him, beaming. "Come have some breakfast. Or lunch."

Jonathan drew a deep breath, preparing for the onslaught of questions he knew Evy was about to launch his way. Neither she nor Rick were idiots and Jonathan was fairly sure they wouldn't be surprised when they heard he was here because of Ardeth Bay.

"Hey!" Rick greeted him as he sat down at the table across from the American. "How ya feel?"

"Better, thank you." Jonathan drained the glass of juice Evy set before him, then took a plate of food from her.

They let him be for all of five minutes before Evelyn couldn't stand it any longer.

"Jonathan, what's wrong?"

He chewed silently for a long moment, contemplating bluffing his way through, but he knew they wouldn't believe him and sooner or later they'd find out the truth anyway. Probably sooner, he thought ruefully.

"There was a counsel meeting last week," he began, almost casually. "With the commanders of the twelve tribes."

Evy glanced across at Rick, then back to her brother.

"They told Ardeth that he needed to find a wife and sire a heir to the Medjai throne, so to speak." The anguish in his voice was so intense, Evy reached across to cover his hand with her own.

"What happened?" She asked quietly.

"Well, he refused, of course. And it wasn't unanimous, but it doesn't have to be. If even one of them disagrees, they have to keep at it until it's resolved or the person challenges the leader."

"Oh, Jonathan!" Evy breathed, squeezing his hand.

"Most of them stood with Ardeth... thought it was his business. Allah will provide when the time comes and all that. But the leader of the 4th tribe... Mohammad."

"What?" Rick prompted.

"He..." Jonathan swallowed hard, trying to get the rest of it out. "He said no, Ardeth needed to find a woman and do his duty as their leader." Jonathan raised his eyes to meet O'Connell's. "If he wanted to remain their leader."

Evy gasped. "They wouldn't!"

Rick's eyes narrowed with barely concealed rage.

"Who the hell do they think they are, dictating to him like that after he's saved their butts three times just since we've known him?!" O'Connell demanded.

"Well, as I say, it's mostly this Mohammad, but that's enough, apparently."

"Then what happened?" Evy urged.

Her brother sighed. "They said a lot of things to each other, shouting and... it's not relevant. But then of course we had a huge fight and it sort of escalated until I just thought it would be easier if I left."

"Easier for who?" Evy demanded.

"Evy-" Rick cautioned, but she continued.

"Jonathan, he needs you now! How could you desert him?"

Jonathan pulled his hand out of her grasp to run it over his face, trying to rub away some of the fatigue that seemed to have been with him for weeks.

"Evy... I left so that he could decide what he needed to do, without me there. I know Ardeth would never do anything to hurt me, but he can't just throw away his command! It's his life."

"You're his life!" she exclaimed. "You have to contact him! Tell him you're all right and then if you can't go back to the Medjai, have Ardeth come here." She paused. "Something!"

"I know." He raked shaking fingers through his hair. "And I will... eventually. Just not yet. I'll move on and do some travelling, then when he's had time to make up his mind, I'll go back and face him."

"You'll do no such thing." Evy informed him. "You'll stay here with us. Won't he Rick?" She turned to her husband, who nodded.

"Absolutely." He neglected to mention that he'd gone into town that morning and sent a cable to Cairo to be delivered to Bay, telling him Jonathan was safe with them and by the way, what the hell had happened?

"Uncle Jon! You're back!"

They turned at Alex's delighted shout and Jonathan quickly masked his pain with a welcoming smile for his nephew.


********

Jonathan rounded a corner of the house to find his sister sitting on a stone bench, gazing out across the yard.

"You all right?" he asked, settling at her feet on the grass.

Evy reached out to stroke a lock of hair from his forehead. "Yes. You?"

Jonathan sighed. "Fine. As fine as I'm going to be for awhile anyway."

"Jonathan...." She began, "You can't really believe that Ardeth is going to abandon you because of some silly ancient law."

"It's not a silly law to them, Evy." Jonathan told her earnestly. "There's so much I don't understand of what the Medjai are, but one thing I do know is that their entire being is made up of honor and duty and strength. If Ardeth decides that Mohammad is right and he is forced to -to - " He swallowed hard, eyes on the ground. "To produce a son, then I don't know that he'll have a choice. He has to do what his heart tells him to."

Evelyn leaned forward to kiss the top of her brother's head. "And what his heart tells him is that he loves you beyond all reason. I've watched him, Jonathan. Rick and I have never been sure how the two of you would blend your worlds, but the one thing that we never doubted was the depth of your love for each other. Please give him a chance to prove it to you."

Jonathan tilted his head back to look into eyes, large and round with worry. Worry for him. He reached out and took her hand.

"I will, Evy. I'm not ready to admit defeat. I just need a quiet place to regroup and think for a bit."

"Well, you have that with us."

Jonathan kissed her hand. "I know."

They sat there for a long time, Jonathan's head resting on his sister's knee as they both watched the sun begin it's downward descent across the sky.

******

That evening Rick suggested he take everyone into London for dinner, but Jonathan had declined.

"I'm still exhausted from the trip over and my leg's aching a bit, but I appreciate the offer." He dropped into an armchair, fatigue clearly written on his lean features. "You three go and have a good time. I'm just going to turn in early."

"Can I stay with Uncle Jon?" Alex asked, perching on the arm of Carnahan's chair.

"No, Alex." His uncle protested. "Go on with your parents."

"I'd rather stay here with you." He looked up at his father. "Don't you think someone should stay here? In case he gets sick or something?" He shrugged. "I promise I won't bother him."

Jonathan put an arm around his nephew and drew him onto his lap. "You can bother me whenever you want, Alex." He hugged the boy. "Are you sure you don't want to go into London?"

"Yep."

Evy smoothed his hair and smiled. "All right. You can stay. But let your uncle get some sleep."

"I will." Alex smiled up at her with a very good imitation of her brother's most beguiling smile.

"Let's fix you two something for dinner then."

Jonathan rose, taking Alex with him. "Don't bother, Evy. We'll manage, right partner?"

"Yep. Let's go and make sandwiches." Alex headed for the kitchen, Jonathan in tow.

Evy watched them go, then turned to her husband.

"Alex is so glad to be with Jonathan again, I hated to make him come with us."

"Yeah." O'Connell agreed. "They adore each other. They'll be fine."

"I know. And I'm glad someone will be here with Jonathan. I'm still worried about him. He seems so depressed."

"Yeah, well, he has reason." Rick told her. "Come on. Let's get ready."


*****

Ardeth stood on the dock, surveying his surroundings. As always when he left Egypt it felt strange... alien. Fog swirled around his ankles, its moisture so different from the dry heat he was accustomed to. And yet, everywhere he looked he saw something that reminded him of Jonathan. This was his lover's home. The city where he and Evelyn had grown up. It was a part of him as sure as the Sahara was a part of Ardeth.

"You need a taxi?"

A cab had pulled up beside him, it's driver eyeing him curiously.

"Yes. Thank you."

The cabbie's accent reminded him of Jonathan, as did the bits of conversation he heard around him. He closed his eyes for a moment, soaking up the familiar, yet different feel of it.

"Well get in then." The man said, reaching back to open the door for him.

Bay got into the back seat and gave the man O'Connell's address. Then he settled back in the seat, eyes following the passing scenery. He watched the people on the sidewalks as they passed. Hurrying to their jobs, homes... Westerners with pale skin and hair that ranged from blond to brown and every shade in between. Lighter than his own. Different, yet again, familiar. Reminding him of Jonathan.Ardeth filled his lungs, trying to calm himself. He was the outsider here. He was the one who got strange looks and whispered comments behind his back. Is this how Jonathan felt when he was in Egypt? Did he feel as though he were an outsider, looking in on a culture he had no part in?

Ardeth didn't think so. His lover had always loved Egypt and had spent much time there long before he'd meet Ardeth. He frowned. But this feeling of not belonging. Had he made Jonathan feel accepted in his culture? Had his people? A niggling of worry started in the back of his mind as he considered this new notion. He looked down at his own clothes; robes instead of a suit. Jonathan still wore his beige and white clothing. The clothing he'd always worn on digs.

Should Ardeth have offered him a Medjai robe? Would the Englishman feel more at home if he didn't stand out, at least in dress, from everyone else? He knew that Jonathan was trying to fit in, trying to make Egypt and the Medjai village his home. He was trying for Ardeth. Suddenly Bay had a new appreciation for that effort. He wasn't sure if he, himself could do as well if he were forced to live here instead.

Bay shook his head as the thoughts chased each other in his head. Time enough to sort all of that out later. After he found Jonathan.His thoughts turned to what he would do if Jonathan was at the O'Connell house. Would he be glad to see him or would he still be angry and confused? Ardeth honestly didn't know. He fantasized about finding him sitting on the stone bench behind the house that had been a favorite of theirs. Many a night they had watched the sunset from the old stone bench, kissing and whispering promises of love and devotion to each other in the growing darkness. He smiled slightly as his thoughts shifted. Perhaps his lover would be asleep. He thought about Jonathan laying in the middle of his big bed, arms and legs flung out as was his general position when Ardeth was not sharing the bed. As it was, the Medjai grinned, many a night he had woken as a hand had smacked him in the face when his lover had rolled over in his sleep.

Slipping reluctantly out of his fantasy, Ardeth began to wonder how he should handle Jonathan. If he agreed to see him, should he talk first... try and work through things? Or should he try to seduce him first and talk later?

The Arab sighed. It was so hard, this picking one's way through the dark. He had very little experience with a true relationship and this one was fraught with more difficulties than anything Bay had dealt with before. Then he smiled. But oh, the rewards were so much more than he could ever have imagined.


*******

He was hot, sweating from the wretched sun that had beat down from overhead all day and now from the fever that raged within him from the wound in his shoulder.

Jonathan tossed on his bedroll, trying not to wake O'Connell and his sister, but his entire arm ached where that evil little scarab had decided to take a run under his skin and the wound where O'Connell had dug it out with his knife hurt like blazes.

As he lay staring up at the night sky, the stars twinkled down at him, reminding him of a pair of dark eyes that had sparkled just that way. Ardeth Bay. He'd probably never see the Medjai again, but the man had made a lasting impression. Even through his pain, Ardeth's face appeared in his mind, easing some of the discomfort but spiking a fever of another kind.

Jonathan's hand moved to unfasten his pants, feeling the heat of his arousal. Bay's handsome face in his mind's eye, he pleasured himself, stroking his erection slowly, sensuously, as he imagined what it would be like if the Medjai were here.

He imagined Ardeth's large, muscular body draped over his, the tattooed hands skimming over Jonathan's naked skin, skillful tongue darting out to lave at his throat and bare chest.

As his fantasy took a firmer hold on his imagination, Jonathan's strokes became faster and harder until he came, managing to stifle all but the smallest cry of release.

"Jonathan?" His sister sat up in her bedroll, across the camp. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, fine, Evy." Jonathan assured her hurriedly. "It's this damned knife wound. Nothing important."

"If it gets worse, let one of us know." Evelyn told him, laying back down. "You don't want it to get infected."

"No, wouldn't want that." Jonathan agreed, rolling over.

And then someone was beside him, a hand on his arm. He opened his eyes again to see a tattooed face hovering above him.

"Ardeth?" he asked sleepily, reaching out to the man beside him.

"No." Came the curt reply.

Jonathan felt a sharp pain glance off the side of his head and then blackness

"Bring him." A man ordered, dropping the candle holder he'd used on Jonathan. "We must hurry before they return."


**********

With his uncle going to bed very early, Alex had gone outside to play before going to bed himself. He looked up as a car turned into their driveway and then extinguished its lights. Frowning, Alex hid behind the stone statue in the front yard and watched as three men got out and headed for the back of the house.

Something was wrong! Perhaps they were robbers! How exciting! Alex started for the house when he heard someone cry out and then a loud thump. Something had happened to Uncle Jon! What should he do? What would Dad do?

He ran back to the car and memorized the license number, then tried the trunk - it was open. As the three men reappeared with his uncle, Alex crawled inside and drew the lid down until it was almost closed. Alex held onto an inside handle as the men dragged an unconscious Jonathan past him.

They deposited him none too gently in the back seat of the car and then got in themselves. He held onto his handle tightly as the car began to move, then picked up speed as it sped out of the gravel driveway, toward the road.

Lying in the darkness, Alex's alarm grew. Something was very wrong! Aside from kidnapping Uncle Jon... these guys were Medjai! They had tattoos like Ardeth Bay.

Silently he settled down to wait for them to reach their destination. Then he'd figure out what to do.


********

"I want to go up and check on Jonathan and Alex." Evy was saying as the O'Connells returned home that night. "I'm still worried about him."

"I'm worried about Ardeth, too." Rick told her, locking the door behind them. "I hope he's all right-"

They stopped and stared at Ardeth Bay who was descending the staircase.

"Ardeth!" Evy exclaimed.

Rick was astonished. "That was fast!"

"What?" The Medjai joined them.

"I sent you a cable this morning but you couldn't possibly have gotten it yet." O'Connell told him, shaking the other man's hand.

"No, I came because I thought Jonathan might be here with you."

Worry lines creased the Arab's forehead. "I left as soon as I found that he had gone."

Evy put a hand on his arm. "Have you seen Jonathan?"

Bay's eyes closed and he seemed to shrink inside himself. "I had hoped..."

"What?"

Ardeth met her eyes. "I had hoped he was out with you, but his room is in shambles. I was afraid something had happened."

"Shambles?" Evy ran for the stairs. "Alex!"

"Your son was here too?" Bay asked, following Rick upstairs.

"Yeah, he wanted to stay with Jonathan."

While his wife ran to Alex's room, Rick and Bay went to Jonathan's. While not what Rick would have described as 'shambles' there had obviously been a struggle.

"Look." Ardeth knelt beside the bed, a silver candlestick in his hand. "There is blood and hair on this." He raised troubled eyes to meet his friend's. "Brown hair."

"Yeah, and there's blood on the pillowcase." O'Connell pointed out.

"Rick!"

They turned as Evy burst into the room.

"Alex is gone!"

Rick closed his eyes, fists clenching. Not again!

**************

As the car slowed to a stop, Alex cracked the trunk and peered outside.

Amid curses and thuds, they managed to get Jonathan out of the car and dragged him inside what looked like an abandoned shop.

When the men had disappeared inside, Alex climbed out of the trunk and closed it firmly, then ran to the corner and looked up at the street signs. Then, with a quick glance back the way he'd come, he ran toward a main intersection and, hopefully, a constable.


*************

"Who could have done this?" Evy asked, eyes large and filled with worry.

"I don't know." O'Connell admitted. "It could have been random or maybe it's someone from Jonathan's past catching up with him."

Behind them, Bay was silent. He stood with Jonathan's cane in hand, absently fingering the onyx head. The Arab had no idea who could have kidnapped his lover, but he didn't think it was an old score. Somehow he knew it had to do with more recent events. The question was, which events? There had been more than he cared to think about in the last years. And, he admitted to himself, it was possible that Jonathan was a handy tool to get at Ardeth himself, if someone knew of their relationship. But again, that left anyone... and no one.

Evy turned as the phone rang and went out into the hallway to answer it.

"Yes, this is Evelyn O'Connell..... You do! Oh that's wonderful...."

She put her hand over the receiver as Rick came to stand beside her.

"It's the police in London. They've found Alex!"

Ardeth moved quickly to join them. Perhaps if the boy had been found....

Evy turned back to the phone. "Alex! Are you all right?

What?....... yes, all right. You stay right there! Your father will be there to pick you up as soon as he can get there. .... Yes, we love you too."

Evy hung up the phone and turned to hug Rick. "He's safe!" Then she turned to look at Ardeth. "And he says he knows where Jonathan is."

As one they started for the steps.

"Rick, wait!"

The American turned. "Stay here in case Jonathan calls." He told her. Then to Ardeth, "Let's go!"

O'Connell grabbed his jacket on the way out the door and they were gone, leaving Evy anxious but relieved that her son at least was safe.


*************

Jonathan leaned against a lamppost, peering into the fast-approaching darkness. It was so confusing. Where was he? Well, he was in London, he knew that. But why?

"All right, don't panic." He told himself. "What do you remember last?"

With a rising fear, he realized he didn't remember anything last. He shoved his hands in his pockets, coming out empty. No wallet... no way of identifying himself. A shaking hand raked through brown waves. Why should he have to identify himself? He should bloody know who he was!

He took a closer look at himself. "I'm in my pajamas! Why in the world am I wandering around London in my pajamas?!"

He held onto the pole tighter as the world began to shift and bile rose in his throat. He was never sick to his stomach. Was he? What had happened? Jonathan held a hand to his head and came away with blood. Perhaps he'd been hurt... amnesia? He grimaced. Not a pleasant prospect, but it would explain the thumping headache.

Slowly, he slid to the ground arms still around the cold hard metal.

His mind began to drift and figures moved past his mind's eyes, blurred but nevertheless familiar. And events... he could see miles and miles of golden white sand and camels... he wrinkled his nose... smelly camels. And a young boy... young blond... Alex! Jonathan's head came up. He knew the boy's name was Alex! But who was he though? That knowledge remained frustratingly just beyond his grasp.

His head bowed again, cradled against the green metal pole. The coolness helped clear his throbbing head a bit and he let his thoughts drift.

There was someone else, a man in black that seemed almost a presence to him. A warm, comforting presence. Jonathan opened his eyes and looked blearily around him but no one was there. He could almost see the man, dark skinned with marks on his face. Dark hair.... He strained to remember but couldn't. Finally he drifted off into a shallow sleep.

**********

A light rain had started to fall as they drove toward the city and Rick gripped the wheel tightly, both in concentration and anticipation. Thank God Alex had been found by the police! He didn't think Evy could take another bout of her son being kidnapped.

Which brought him to the other matter. He could almost feel the tension radiating from the man beside him. Ardeth sat perfectly still, silent, but his body screamed out its fear and anger as clearly as if he were speaking.

"Listen, if Alex says he knows where Jonathan is, then he does." Rick said, sparing the other man a quick glance. "He's a smart kid, he'll remember where he was."

"I have no doubt of that." Bay said quietly. "My fear is what condition we will find Jonathan in. If he were able, I suspect he would be with your son. He would die rather than let anything happen to Alex and he would never let him wander the streets alone, especially when there is danger."

"I know." O'Connell said quietly. "Jonathan's pretty resourceful too, though. Let's not buy trouble, huh?"

Bay gave a quick nod, his gaze never leaving the road ahead.

Finally Rick couldn't stand the tense silence any more and glanced at his companion.

"Listen, there were some things we were wondering about."

Ardeth turned slightly in his seat, looking to his friend. "Yes?"

"About what happened with the Medjai-"

"That is not your concern." Ardeth said sharply, facing the front again. "That is between Jonathan and myself-"

"I don't think so." Rick told him. "Not anymore. He told Evy and I what happened and you can imagine her reaction."

Ardeth snorted. "Yes. I can also imagine that yours was not much better."

"No." O'Connell agreed, turning onto an overpass. "What the hell happened out there? When you guys left a few months ago, I thought everything was fine."

"It was. Or so I thought." Ardeth sighed, turning in his seat to look at Rick. "For the most part, my people like Jonathan and accept him for what he is."

"And that would be?" Rick asked, glancing at the other man.

"That would be my life partner." Bay snapped, then rubbed a hand over his face. "I'm sorry. The last few weeks have taken their toll on my nerves."

"Understandable."

Bay nodded, drawing a deep breath. "But one of the commanders, Mohammad, challenges my right. He has always felt his son should have challenged me for leadership of the Medjai, but Hamis is not strong enough. He would not have the nerve to fight me for the title."

"I thought it was hereditary." O'Connell frowned.

"It is. But as in anything, if the leader is found to be less than competent, he can be challenged and replaced." Bay explained.

"And just what do you have to do to prove you're worthy?"

Rick exclaimed, stopping at a light. "Repeatedly sending several major evils to Hell isn't enough?"

"Yes, for most." Ardeth said quietly. "This has less to do with Jonathan than with the fact that Mohammad thinks he can convince the Medjai leaders his son would be better suited, without Hamis having to actually best me in a fight."

"Coward." Rick muttered.

"Yes." Ardeth sighed. "His leadership would lead the Medjai to their doom. If that happens..." He trailed off, eyes once more on the road ahead.

"Listen, I know you guys had a fight, but you still want to work this out, right?"

Ardeth stared at the American. "He told you that? That we argued and he left?"

"Yeah." Rick grinned. "Obviously you underestimate my wife's interrogation skills."

Ardeth barked out a laugh, then shook his head. "No, I should not have done that. We did argue, yes. Some things were said at the counsel meeting that I wish Jonathan had not heard. His self-esteem is not as strong as mine. I can take maligning far better than he."

O'Connell's eyes were hard. "What did they say to him?" He was frequently impatient with his brother-in-law, but Jonathan was a good man and Rick felt a flare of protectiveness at the Medjai's words.

"Ah, so he didn't tell you everything." Ardeth commented dryly.

"No," the other man admitted. "Only that some things were said and then the two of you had a fight and he left so that you could figure out what you had to do." He shrugged. "Apparently he thought it would be easier for you to make a decision if he wasn't around."

Bay sighed again. "He was wrong. Nothing is easy when he is not with me." He paused for a long moment, then looked at Rick. "I find that Jonathan has become such a part of my life that when he is not by my side, I feel as though a part of me is missing." He shook his head. "I must find him and explain. I have made my decision. Now we must decide what it means to us both."

Much as he wanted to, O'Connell didn't ask what that decision was. Instead he broached another subject.

"We were a little surprised that he left in the first place." Rick admitted. "I mean, you're everything to him now. You've turned his entire life around. It must have hurt him a lot to leave you like that."

"Yes, I'm sure it did." Ardeth said quietly.

O'Connell shrugged. "But then, it's always been pretty easy for Jonathan to avoid situations he didn't want to get into."

Ardeth bristled. "It wasn't like that. Not this time."

"How was it then?"

Bay took a breath, expelling it with a great sigh. "Some things were said in his presence that hurt him even more. Things that I would gladly have killed Mohammad for were I another kind of man."

Rick frowned. "Like what?"

"He told me that if I wanted to keep..." Bay hesitated. "To keep my male whore on in the shadows, it was my business, but that I needed a wife and normal family in order to maintain order and leadership."

O'Connell felt as if someone had gut-punched him. He could only imagine how his brother-in-law must have felt at that.

"I told them that Jonathan was my mate. That I would not take a woman that I didn't love. It wouldn't be fair to her or Jonathan or to our children...."

"Or to you." Rick added softly.

"Or to me." Bay agreed.

"Then what happened?" Rick turned the car down the street where the police station was located.

"I argued some more and we adjourned, planning to continue the next evening. Mohammad left and the other commanders lent me their support, saying they would stand with me against the fourth tribe if need be." Ardeth shook his head sadly. "Suddenly I noticed that Jonathan was gone and I went back to my home to look for him."

"And he was packing, right?" Rick guessed, pulling up in front of the station.

"Yes." Ardeth nodded, thoughts going back to that terrible night...

"Just - just don't say anything Ardeth."

Jonathan continued to dump clothes into his suitcase without really looking at what he was doing. Ardeth could hear the tears in his love's voice and it tore at him.

"Jonathan, listen to me, please. Mohammad is a cruel man. He was trying to hurt you and drive you away-"

"Well, it seems to have worked... oh wait, that's yours.." The tears finally escaped as he pulled the soft blue robe from his case. His fingers fisted in the material for a moment, then he released it, heart aching. "Sorry."

"My heart, don't -"

Jonathan swung around to face him, eyes filled with tears, cheeks moist from those he hadn't been able to contain.

"I don't want to leave you. God knows I don't want to lose you. But we both knew that something like this was coming eventually. We knew that sooner or later this issue of an heir was going to come up." He shook his head and turned back to his case. "I just hadn't expected us to have so little time before it did." He gripped the edge of his bag, head bowed as he fought to get himself under control.

"And so you are running away again?" Ardeth demanded, anger overcoming the fear that had driven him to follow Jonathan to their home. "Just as you've always run away from your problems before."

"No!" Carnahan protested. "But you can't think straight with me here. It will be easier for you to make your choice if I'm not here."

"Easier for who?" Bay wanted to know. "Admit that you are hurt and angry and let's go from there. Figure out what we're going to do."

Jonathan turned to face his lover. "Ardeth... I don't know if I can live without you. But I do know that I can't live here and see you with someone else. It will kill me." The despair in his voice brought hot tears to the back of the Medjai's eyes. "I would love nothing more than to spend the rest of my life loving you. But I can't stand by and watch you love someone else. Even to fulfil your obligation to the tribes. It would kill me Ardeth!"

"Then what happened?" Rick asked, glancing at his companion.

"I understood what he was trying to tell me and he understood the choices I was faced with, but still we continued to fight. We said terrible things to each other, O'Connell, things that neither of us meant! In the end I went for a walk to cool off and when I returned, Jonathan was gone."

The pain in Bay's voice was clear. "He took one of my horses, telling the guard he would leave him at the docks with my name. He refused to even have an escort to Cairo." Ardeth swallowed hard. "Anything could have happened to him."

"Well, let's see if Alex can shed any light on where he is now, at least." Rick said getting out of the car. He didn't know if he was up to handling a Medjai with a nervous breakdown right now.

Better to try and distract the man and keep him focused on finding Jonathan.

"I will wait here." Ardeth told him. "In case they are suspicious about your association with a foreigner."

Rick made a face at him, then ran up the steps into the police station.

****************

A few minutes later Rick emerged with his son in tow and hurried to the car. As O'Connell slid behind the wheel, Alex climbed into the backseat.

"Uncle Ardeth!" he hung over the seat and gave him a hug.

Then he put a hand on the Medjai's shoulder. "I memorized the cross street where they took Uncle Jon. Then I snuck away and went to find a constable."

Rick grinned proudly. "He knew something was up at the house and hid in their trunk until the car stopped and they took Jonathan into a building."

Ardeth turned to clasp Alex's hand, giving him a grateful smile. "Thank you. That was a very brave thing to do and I am grateful."

The boy beamed under Ardeth's praise, then his voice became more urgent. "But Uncle Ardeth, something's really wrong!"

His father glanced over at him. "What do you mean, Sport? Other than your uncle being kidnapped?"

"Yeah." Alex nodded. "They're Medjai!"

"What!" Ardeth turned fully in his seat, facing Alex as best he could. "How do you know this?"

"Because they have markings on their faces like yours." He told him. "Almost anyway. Except for the leader." Alex reached out to touch Ardeth's right cheek. "He had a red and black flame tattooed here."

Rage leapt to Bay's eyes, warring with disbelief. "No! It can't be!"

"What? Would your guys really do something like that?" Rick demanded, stepping on the gas.

"No. They would not betray me like this." Ardeth shook his head in disbelief. "No matter how strongly they felt... no..."

But Rick knew the warrior did believe what Alex had told him and he was very much afraid that nothing would be the same for the Medjai chieftain again.

O'Connell screeched to a halt a block from the building where Alex had seen the men take Jonathan, and turned to his son. "Alex,"

"I know, I know." The boy said, resigned. "I'll wait in the car."

Rick grinned at him. "Right." He slapped Ardeth on the shoulder. "Let's go."

Together they checked out the perimeter and seeing no guards, crept inside. There they found a small, dirty room. Ardeth moved to a pile of blankets in one corner and knelt beside it. Blood stained one of them and a piece of rough twine lay beside the blankets.

Rage mixed with panic boiled up inside him and Ardeth rose, turning to his friend who was equally enraged.

"We'll find him." Rick said with more confidence than he felt.

"Shhh!" Ardeth pulled him behind the open door just as an old woman with grey hair and a long, black dress came into the room.

Rick slammed the door shut and the woman whirled to face them.

"No!" She looked at Ardeth, fear evident in her eyes. "It was not my fault! He woke up and lammed outta here! Not my fault!"

"Easy, easy." Rick soothed, stepping forward. "We're looking for the man who was here. He was hurt? An Englishman?"

The woman nodded, eyes still fixed on Bay's face.

"It's my tattoos." He said to O'Connell. "She thinks I'm one of the ones who kidnapped Jonathan."

"Look, we're friends of the man." Rick pointed to the blankets. "Do you know where he is?"

The old woman shook her head. "No. I tried to keep him here, but he pushed me aside. He didn't know who he was. He was rambling about the desert and camels and gold... crazy talk! He woke up and got loose and he left! I couldn't stop him!"

"Okay, it's okay." O'Connell told her. "When was this?"

Calming a bit under Rick's reassuring tone, she pondered the question.

"An hour ago, perhaps two. I looked for him, but couldn't find him." She looked at Bay, then back to Rick.

"These men, with marks like mine..." Ardeth pointed to his face. "What did they want you to do?"

"Just watch him. He was unconscious... sick I think."

Ardeth cringed but held his tongue.

"They pay me to sit with him until he died. The brown-haired man." She elaborated. "They said they were going home and couldn't wait for him to die."

"How badly was he hurt?" Rick asked, watching Ardeth out of the corner of his eye.

"Bad, hurt." The woman confirmed. He had a cut on his head and it bled. He was talking in his sleep, tossing...." She shrugged. "But then he woke up and didn't know where he was. He left." She ended simply.

"Okay. Thanks." Rick pulled a bill out of his pocket and handed it to the woman. "Thanks for your help."

Her eyes lit up as she took the money. With a nod to Bay, Rick turned and left the room, the Medjai close on his heels.

"It is abhorrent!" Ardeth growled as they strode back toward the car. "To have taken someone under my protection! Jonathan is my mate! Everyone knew this. To have harmed him is reprehensible!"

O'Connell shuddered at the anger and bitterness in the other man's voice. He was very glad not to be one of the guys who'd kidnapped Jonathan.

"Did you find him?" Alex demanded as they got into the car.

"No, apparently he woke up and left." Rick explained, starting the engine. He looked to Bay. "Where to?"

"We must go to the docks." He decided.

"But, the woman just said-"

"I must see for myself that some of my own people have betrayed me." Ardeth told him grimly.

With a nod, O'Connell put the car in gear and headed for the boat docks.

*********

Jonathan was cold. He must have left the window open.

Slowly he opened his eyes. He started awake, eyes wide, as he looked around him.

He was in an alley in... London? It must be
.
He got to his feet and slowly made his way out to the street.

Early evening traffic sped by; cars and people bustling home from work, all of them paying him no more attention than they would a curious animal.
Images flashing in his mind, too fast to get a grip on, but he knew some of the people. And then there was a tattooed man... he'd hit him. Yes, he'd been hit--- It faded before Jonathan could get a clear memory.

"Oh my..." He ran a hand over his head. "I need to get back home. Evy must be frantic."

Pulling himself together as best he could in his present condition, Jonathan hailed a taxi and gave the O'Connell address, assuring the driver that he would indeed be rewarded upon their arrival.

Dubiously, the man nodded and started out, into traffic.

*****************

O'Connell pulled the car to a stop in an alley near the docks and turned to his son.

"Alex -"

"Yeah, yeah, I know." The boy sighed, resigned. "I'll wait in the car."

"Right." He ruffled the blond hair and got out of the sedan, glancing back to see that Ardeth was following. "Lock the doors." He told Alex and then followed the Medjai around the corner of the brick warehouse.

"There."

The deadly tone of the Arab's voice send a chill up O'Connell's spine and he turned to see three men in business suits standing at the ticket window, clearly in the middle of a transaction. He might have thought they were any travelers except for the tattoos that marked their faces. Marks very similar to Ardeth Bays, except for one man who bore a red and black flame on his right cheek.

"I will take care of this." Ardeth started forward, but Rick's hand on his shoulder yanked him back.

"I don't think so." The American told him. "We'll do this together because whatever's happened to Jonathan, I want you in one piece when we find him."

The Medjai shot him a hard glance but nodded once and then walked to stand behind the men, O'Connell beside him.After purchasing their tickets, the men turned and Rick swore they paled slightly at the sight of their leader.

"Hamis." Ardeth ground out. "This way." He gestured to the alley where they'd left the car.

"No - "

But he had no choice as Rick stood behind him, the barrel of his pistol in the man's back, while Ardeth stood in front of him, baring escape. And, as their friend moved off, the other two Medjai had no choice but to follow.

As they reached the cover of the narrow alleyway, Hamis turned and hit O'Connell, drawing a dagger from under his coat.

Rick rolled to his feet and buried his fist in one of the other men's face, feeling the satisfying crunch of cartilage and bone as he broke the Arab's nose.

Ardeth circled with Hamis, his sword out, eyes fixed on his enemy's.

"You are such a coward you would use a simitar against a man with only a knife?" Hamis sneered, eyes glinting with hatred for his rival.

"No, but I would use it on a traitor and a disgrace to the Medjai." Ardeth told him coldly.

The second man jumped O'Connell and the two of them fought briefly, but Rick's gun was faster than the man's knife and the renegade was soon on his knees, clasping his injured hand to his chest.

With a swift stroke Ardeth knocked the dagger from Hamis' grip and backed him against the side of the building."And now what will you do, oh great leader of the Medjai." Hamis taunted. "Kill me? My father will hunt you down and cut out your heart."

"As you planned to do to my mate?" Bay spat, the tip of his sword knicking the man's throat. "You speak of cowards. How much more cowardly is it to take an innocent man, untrained in battle, and leave him to die like a diseased dog?"

"It is what he deserved!" Hamis snarled. "Your whore got exactly what he deserved."

"Ardeth!"

Rick lunged for his friend's arm.

"Think about what you're doing. You'll be no better than he is. We just want to find Jonathan."

With a visible effort, Bay got his emotion under control and nodded.

"You are right. Take my simitar."

"What?" Nevertheless, Rick did as he was asked.

Ardeth glanced at the other two men, still nursing their wounds on the ground near the entrance to the narrow street.Satisfied that they posed little threat, Bay took out a small silver dagger, elaborately engraved with symbols Rick could only guess at, and stepped up to Hamis.

"This will prove that it was you that kidnapped my lover and betrayed your leader." He said calmly, left hand reaching out to hold Hamis' head in place against the wall. "This will prove that you were the one to do this evil, no matter what lies you tell the others."

"No!" Hamis tried to move away but Rick held the sword firmly against his throat. "You cannot! I am the son of the commander of the fourth tribe!"

"And I am commander of all the Medjai." Ardeth reminded him as the tip of his blade made the first cut over the flame tattoo. "And this is my mark. May you carry the scar of it to your worthless grave."

Rick glanced at the car to make sure his son wasn't watching their friend's handiwork, then looked back. With painstaking slowness Ardeth carved a mark O'Connell had never seen on the man's cheek, mindless of the blood that poured over his hand and onto Hamis' clothes. As Bay made the final stroke, Hamis screamed in pain and fear and collapsed to the ground.

Ardeth stood over him for a long moment, looking at his enemy, then knelt to wipe his hand on Hamis' coat. Then, with a nod to Rick, Ardeth rose and headed back to the car.

**************

Ardeth Bay didn't speak the entire trip back to the O'Connell home and it was beginning to worry Rick. The Medjai sat in the backseat, eyes fixed on a point out the side window, his expression grim.

About a mile from home, Alex finally turned in his seat to lean over the back, facing their friend. Rick held his breath, ready to yank his son back if the Arab didn't appreciate the intrusion.

"Uncle Ardeth... we'll get him back." Alex said, chin resting on the back of the seat at he watched the man. "He'll be all right."

"Yes." Bay agreed, but there was no conviction in the word.

"Uncle Jon always lands on his feet, that's what Mom says."

Alex reached out a hand to his friend. "And we'll all help."

For the first time Ardeth's gaze left the passing scenery as he met the youngster's gaze. Heaving a great sigh, he leaned forward and took the small hand in his.

"Thank you, young one. You have always been a source of strength and delight to your uncle, as you are to me."

Alex smiled. "Thanks. I like you too."
O'Connell let out the breath he'd been holding as he heard the warrior's quiet chuckle and Alex turned to plop back into his seat.

"Okay, here we are." Rick pulled up in the driveway and switched off the car. "Let's go let your mom see you."

"Okay."

Jumping out of the car, Alex raced ahead, bursting through the door, leaving it wide open. The two men followed at a more leisurely pace. As they reached the doorway Alex ran back, into his father, almost knocking him over.

"Dad! Uncle Ardeth! He's here!"

"Who's here, pal?" Rick asked, closing the door and allowing himself to be pulled along behind his son.

"Uncle Jon!"

"What?" Ardeth jogged past them, into the living room where Evelyn was holding a cold compress on her brother's forehead.
"Thank Allah you are safe!" Ardeth breathed

Evy moved out of the way as he knelt beside the couch. Almost reverently Ardeth reached out to touch his lover's cheek. Jonathan looked pale and exhausted as he lay against the dark cushions.

Jonathan opened his eyes and started, pulling back until he recognized his lover. "Sorry." He murmured, relaxing against the cushions again.

Ardeth's eyes darted away, guilt filling them. Then he met his lover's gaze once more.

"Do you recognize me?" He was almost afraid to hear the answer after what the old woman had told them.

The fear in those dark eyes was Jonathan's undoing. He'd been ready to tell Ardeth he needed time to think things through, particularly in light of what had just happened, but seeing his beloved warrior so obviously distressed was more than he could stand.

"Yes of course I recognize you, you idiot." He bit his lip to keep his emotions in check, and reached up to take Ardeth's hand in his. "And I must say it is very good to see you." He rubbed a thumb over Ardeth's palm. "You have blood on your hand."

"Yes." Bay shook his head, dismissively. "It's not important."

"You're not hurt?" Jonathan searched his lover's face for the truth and found only anguish for himself.

"No. I am not injured." Then, "What happened? How did you get back here?" Ardeth asked, eyes never leaving the other man's face.

"I 'woke up' walking the streets of London in my pajamas.

The last thing I remembered was someone with tattoos similar to yours bending over my bed... then a sharp pain and... nothing. So I got a taxi and came here." He smiled up at Rick. "I owe you the fare. Needless to say, my pockets were empty."

The adventurer laughed. "It's on the house."

Jonathan turned his attention back to Ardeth, his smile fading. "I'm sorry you were worried."

"We'll be in the kitchen if you need anything." Evy said quietly, taking Alex's hand and heading out the door, Rick right behind her.

Jonathan contemplated his lover for a long moment, then took a breath. "Ardeth-"

Slowly Bay leaned forward, forehead in Jonathan's lap, arms going around the Englishman's waist. "Please don't leave me again like that." He whispered.

Jonathan gently stroked the dark hair, trying to get his thoughts in some semblance of order.

"Ardeth, look at me."

Almost reluctantly the Medjai sat back on his heels, eyes meeting the other man's.

"What happened tonight wasn't your fault," Jon began.

"They were my men-" Anger returned to his voice.

Jonathan held up a hand. "Yes, but only three of them.

Hamis and two of his tribe. You know that the rest of the Medjai are on your side. Even the fourth tribe don't all agreed with Mohammad."

"I cannot remain in an order that would betray its leader like that." Bay told him, steel slipping into his voice. "They meant to kill you, Jonathan! Knowing that I would not bend on the issue, they planned to kill you!"

"I know."

With a weary sigh, Carnahan sat up, pulling Ardeth onto the sofa with him. Then he took him in his arms. He felt the other man burrow against him and reflected with some surprise that this was one of the few times when he was the stronger one. Usually it was Bay who had the iron resolve and the courage to do what needed to be done. And that suited Jonathan just fine. But this time it seemed that he himself was to be the steady one. He felt Ardeth shiver in his arms and tightened his hold. He'd known all along that he couldn't leave the Arab, not for long, and now with Ardeth here in his arms, so obviously devastated, he couldn't even keep up a pretense.

"Listen, it's all right." He said softly, pulling his lover back, brushing raven hair out of his face. "I'm fine and I'm not going anywhere. Evy says I just have to lay around for a few days and God knows I can do that."

Ardeth's laugh burst out, going on until he had them both laughing wildly, tears streaming down their cheeks as they held each other, releasing the fear and frustration.

Peering around the corner, Evy smiled a satisfied smile and went back to her husband and son.

"Done eavesdropping?" O'Connell inquired mildly, pouring himself another beer. Across the table from him, Alex drained his glass of milk and reached for another cookie.

"Yes, and they're being very sweet in there." She said, sitting down in Rick's lap.

"Awww." Alex made a face and started to get up.

"I wouldn't, Alex." His mother cautioned. "It's much worse in there."

Resigned, the boy poured himself some more milk and bit savagely into his sugar cookie.

*******

Alex stood in the living room doorway for a long time before he went to join his uncle.

Ardeth Bay stood by the fireplace, gaze on the flames that danced in the hearth.

"Uncle Ardeth?" The boy ventured, moving to stand beside the big man.

Ardeth came down on one knee, eyes level.

"Alex. Were you looking for me?"

Alex shook his head. "Not really. But you look like you're upset about something. Uncle Jon's going to be all right, isn't he?"

Ardeth reached out to smooth the worry from the young boy's face.

"Yes. He will be fine." Bay assured him. "I was thinking of other things."

"Like what?"

Ardeth sighed. "Things that are beyond your understanding."

"Like you not having a son to take your place someday, right?"

The Medjai's eyes widened slightly in surprise.

"Why do you say that?"

Alex shrugged. "Well, that's what everybody's so upset about isn't it?" He laid a hand on the man's shoulder. "It'll be okay. Dad will fix it."

Ardeth smiled at Alex's blind faith in his father.

"I'm afraid this is something that only I can fix, young Alex." He said, rising and leading the boy to sit with him on the sofa. "And I am at a loss to know how and still keep the thing that is most dear to my heart."

"Uncle Jon." Alex said, forehead furrowing as he tried to follow the adult conversation.

"Yes." Ardeth ruffled the boy's hair, earning a nose wrinkled in disgust. "But for now I will try and put it aside. We will get your uncle well and then figure a way."

"Things always work out. That's what Mom and Dad say." Alex offered.

"Yes, one way or another, I am sure you're right." Ardeth agreed. "Now, shall we go and see if Jonathan is awake? If we let him he will sleep the day away."

Alex grinned. "Okay!"

Hand in hand they mounted the staircase in search of the man they both cared for so deeply.

***********

Rick looked up as his brother-in-law came down the stairs. "How you doing?" he asked, putting aside his paper.

"Better, thank you." Jonathan paced in front of the American for a moment, then sat in the chair across from him.

Rick frowned. "What?"

"I, um.... I have a somewhat unusual request. Well, a favor, actually." Jonathan told him.

"Uh-oh." O'Connell thought.

"Well, Ardeth has never really experienced Christmas. You know, our kind of Christmas..." He chewed his lip, trying to get his thoughts in order. "And I thought that maybe when this was all over," He rolled his eyes, "assuming we're still together." He sighed.

"Just say it Jonathan." O'Connell pleaded.

"I'd like you to help me get a gift for Ardeth for Christmas."

Rick stared. "Really?"

Carnahan nodded. "I want to get him one of those guns he's so fond of and I don't know a thing about them."

"A Thompson?"

Jonathan sketched it in the air. "Yes, that machine gun thing he's always borrowing from you."

O'Connell nodded. "A Thompson. You want to buy your lover a machine gun for Christmas?"

"Yes."

"That's crazy! How romantic is a machine gun?" Rick demanded.

"Well, that's not really the point. I mean, if you were to get him a gift, what would you think he'd like more than anything else." He grinned. "Except me, of course."

It was Rick's turned to roll his eyes, in exasperation. "Yeah, okay, you've got a point."

"So, will you help me?" Jonathan insisted.

"Help you what?"

They looked up as Bay walked in with Evy.

"Nothing." Both men said.

Ardeth glanced at Evelyn. She wore an identically suspicious expression.

"When you both say 'nothing' it's usually something." Evy said.

Bay nodded his agreement.

"Hey, no fair asking questions like that this close to Christmas." Rick told her, pointing an accusing finger. "I was just asking Jonathan's advice on something."

"Oh, you were?" Evy smiled, moving to sit beside her husband on the sofa.

"No hints." Rick said, getting up. "Come on Jonathan. No time like the present."

"Right."

Jonathan leaned over to kiss the top of Ardeth's head, then followed the other man out of the house.

Evy watched them go, shaking her head.

"I don't know... they're up to something."

"I agree." Bay frowned. "So, tell me what it is you do for Christmas that is so secret.

*************

Ardeth stood for a moment, just watching his lover. He'd gone looking for Jonathan and found him where he'd expected to; sitting on their bench in the backyard of the O'Connell house. He was slumped bonelessly against the stone frame, gazing out across the lawn. Finally Ardeth moved slowly across the grass and dropped beside the other man.

I wondered when you'd come." Jonathan said softly, eyes not leaving the horizon.

"I'm leaving in the morning." Bay told him, glancing at his hands, then joining Carnahan in his distant study.

Jon nodded.

"I'd like you to go with me. I'd like you there to lend me support... watch my back." He drew a breath. "But if you can't, I will understand."

Jonathan looked at him for the first time. "Will you?"

"I think so."

Jonathan could hear the disappointment in his lover's voice. "I know that it would be hard for you." Ardeth said slowly. "But I have to go back. I can't leave things as they are and I can't back down. You are my choice. I have to go back and fight for our right to be together."

"I know." Jon said quietly. "That's why I have to go back with you."

Bay's head snapped up, eyes meeting Jonathan's. "You'll come with me?"

Jon reached out to smooth a fingertip down Ardeth's cheek. "Of course I will, you idiot." He bit his lip, struggling for control. "It scares the hell out of me, but being without the other half of my soul scares me more."

Ardeth reached out and drew the other man to him and Jonathan snuggled against him, molding to the larger body. They sat together for a long time, just holding each other, before they went inside to tell their family of their plans.

**************

Evelyn glanced at her companion as they walked along the shop district. Ardeth had asked her for help in buying Jonathan a Christmas gift, but as yet they hadn't found anything that the Medjai had thought was right.

"Do you have any idea what we're looking for?" Evy asked, slipping her arm through his.

Bay sighed. "No. I thought about a tattoo... " He glanced sideways at her. "To show that we are one... together."

Evy frowned, shaking her head. "Jonathan has never been much on pain." She told him. "I don't think getting a tattoo, even for you, would be a good gift."

Ardeth laughed, eyes twinkling.

"No, you misunderstand me. I meant that I would have a tattoo made for myself that entwined both our marks."

"Oh." Evy nodded, then shook her head. "Ardeth, that's a lovely idea, but I don't think it will work."

"Why not?"

She drew him into a small park and sat with him on a wooden bench near the water.

"Jonathan is many things, some good some... " She hesitated, "Questionable... as we all are. But one of the things he is, is insecure. He has no faith in his ability to be loved by other people. Even with me, I sometimes see it in his eyes when he thinks he's done something that makes me angry-"

"He's afraid you will no longer love him."

"Yes." She nodded, hands folded in her lap. "He needs something tangible, Ardeth." She looked up, meeting his curious gaze. "Something he can hold and touch when you're not with him. Something to remind him of your love when he's feeling unsure."

A smile began to curve the full lips as Ardeth considered. "Perhaps.... Are there places here, Evelyn, where a piece of stone or bone can be carved in a specific pattern?"

She nodded. "Yes. In fact, we're near a very good shop right now. What did you have in mind?"

Ardeth rose, pulling his friend with him. "Come, I will show you."

************

As they dismounted and walked toward the center of the village, everyone stopped to watch them. Jonathan had an irrational urge to bolt but knew he couldn't. Not if he wanted this man. He'd promised Ardeth that he would stand with him and he had meant it. He looked at the faces around them as the people slowly went back to what they'd been doing. Most were friendly and a bit curious, some troubled.

With few exceptions, Jonathan had taken the easy route all his life, even if it meant not getting what he really wanted. But this time he would have to take the hard line and he would fight if need be because the prize was something more precious than life itself. His love for Ardeth Bay.

In the middle of village stood Mohammad, hands on hips, eyes flashing anger at the approaching pair. Bashan stayed close behind Ardeth, mindful that while his leader could take care of himself, Carnahan was undoubtedly unarmed, should the older Medjai decide to take the law into his own hands.

"Let us pass, Mohammad." Ardeth said, words clipped and formal. "The counsel session is this afternoon. It will be decided then."

The tribal leader glared at Jonathan, now dressed in robes he'd borrowed from Ardeth for the trip through the desert. The Medjai had suggested he try the desert clothing, then see if he preferred it over his own.

"And now he masquerades as one of us?" Mohammad demanded, gesturing to Carnahan. "He wears the robes of our people and pretends to belong?"

"No." Bay's voice was cold and Jonathan shivered, despite the afternoon heat. "He is a part of this village and my mate. He pretends to be nothing. He is."

"Now we will decide what is to be done with you for marking my son!" Mohammad snarled. "He went after you to warn you about this... this-"

"Watch your tongue Mohammad." Ardeth said softly, but Jonathan could hear the underlying danger in his lover's voice. "You do not have the full story."

"I have my son's story. He would not lie to his father."

"I do not share you faith." Bay said, moving around the taller man.

Mohammad grabbed his arm, swinging him back to face him.

Jonathan stepped forward, but Bashan put a hand on his arm, staying him.

"Why do you think your son bears my mark over his tattoo?" Ardeth asked, eyes hooded and dark with anger. "I marked him to identify him as the one who kidnapped my mate and tried to kill him.

As the one who went behind his leader's back, against the word of the counsel, and tried to kill an innocent."

"Innocent!" The older man spat.

"You will speak civilly to Jonathan Carnahan as you would to any other guest of mine. The fact that he is my chosen one makes him all the more respected to this sect."

"To some, perhaps. Not to me." Mohammad snarled again, turning and striding off, followed by his son.

"What now?" Jonathan asked in an undertone as they once more walked toward Ardeth's home.

"I will tell the counsel what happened and they will decide what is to be done." Ardeth said simply.

"And if they decide that Mohammad is right?"

Ardeth's voice was grim. "They will not."

"But-"

"They will not."

Jonathan sighed. There was no use arguing what ifs with Ardeth when he was in this frame of mind and he knew it. He'd just have to wait and see what happened....

***************

Later that day, Jonathan looked up from his book as his stomach growled.

"What time is it?" He glanced at his watch. Five thirty. Goodness.

He rose and went to the kitchen area, intent on fixing something simple that he could keep for Ardeth when he returned from his meeting. Jonathan sighed. If he ever returned. The damned thing had been going on for hours.

More to get his mind off what was happening at said meeting than to appease his hunger, Jonathan set about cutting up some fruit and cheese and vegetables for dinner. He didn't have the ambition to actually heat anything, so he decided that finger food was going to be the fare of the day. Or, night, as it was.

"I'm sorry I am so late."

Jon whirled to find his lover leaning in the doorway.

"Gods Ardeth! You scared me."

"I am sorry." The Arab crossed to him and tenderly kissed his lips. "I didn't mean to."

"I know. It's all right."

The Englishman searched the other's face for some sign of what had gone on, but Ardeth's eyes were shuttered.

Jon took a closer look at his lover and saw the lines of fatigue that told of long hours of debate and frustration. Ardeth looked very worn, and Jonathan had an almost overwhelming urge to enfold his beloved in his arms and keep him safe from all the trauma he'd been dealing with and would undoubtedly still deal with tomorrow.

"Are you going to tell me?" He finally asked.

"They believe what I told them about London; Hamis kidnapping you. Trying to kill you."

Jonathan waited.

"And they have declared me the victor and still-leader of the twelve tribes." He glanced away, then tired eyes met concerned blue ones. "Mohammad was enraged... he stormed out of the meeting."

"I'm sorry. Can the rift be mended?" Jonathan asked, eyeing his lover.

"I don't know." Bay sighed, running a hand over his hair. "I just don't know anymore."

"Well, I've made a cold supper. Why don't you eat something and then maybe I'll consider washing your hair for you tonight."

Jonathan wiggled his eyebrows and got the desired chuckle from his love.

"I have a better idea." Ardeth told him, hands resting on Jonathan's waist. "There is an oasis not far from here... half an hours ride."

"Near the road that leads into the desert toward Cairo." Carnahan nodded.

"I think we should take some food and drink and camp there tonight. Away from everything." His eyes implored the other man. "Just for tonight."

Jonathan leaned in to place a kiss on the full lips. "For as long as you want, my love. For as long as you need to."

Ardeth swallowed, eyes closing as he rested his forehead against Jonathan's. "Thank you."

"Come on. Let's get you out of here." Jonathan murmured. He gave Ardeth a quick hug and then turned to wrap up the food he'd prepared, to take with them.

***************

After they'd eaten, Jonathan cleared up the remains of their meal, then went to sit beside Ardeth inside their tent.

"You all right?" He kept his voice soft, not demanding. He wanted Ardeth so badly that his insides were in knots, hands shaking slightly as he shoved them in the folds of his borrowed robe.

"I am fine." He turned to look at his lover in the darkness. "I want you, Jonathan. It's been too long."

"Yes." Carnahan breathed, caught in the dark gaze.

Ardeth leaned into Jon, pushing him back until he lay across him, Jonathan's back to the ground.

Reaching up, Jonathan captured his mouth possessively, hands moving slowly down the Medjai's back.

"Ardeth..." he murmured,

"I love the sound of my name on your lips," the Arab told him, fingertips smoothing through Jonathan's shorter hair.

"That's good because I love saying it." Jonathan told him. "It makes me realize that my fantasy is real."

Plunging his fingers gently into Ardeth's hair, Jonathan knew he would never tire of touching it. Not if he had a thousand years to try.

"It is no fantasy." Ardeth assured him as he captured his mouth in a deep kiss.

Large, strong hands moved to his waist as Ardeth tried to roll him over, onto his back.

"No, Ardeth" Jonathan chided with a sensual smile, "This is your night."

"And why is that?" the Medjai asked, eyes closing briefly as Jonathan's fingertips caressed his skull.

"Because you deserve it." Carnahan whispered in his ear, tongue flicking out to tease the lobe. "Because I've been thinking too much about myself lately and it's high time I started thinking about you again."

"That's not true." Ardeth objected, but his partner didn't answer, otherwise occupied as he was.

Pushing up the full sleeves of Ardeth's robe, Jon's mouth moved along the sensitive underside of his arm, teeth lightly nipping, tongue snaking out to ease the small hurt.

Ardeth sucked in a deep breath, his heart pounding in anticipation as his lover continued to work at the fastenings of his clothes, peeling each layer away with infinite care.

When Ardeth lay naked beside him, Jon returned to his mouth, kissing him with such tenderness that Ardeth's heart contracted, and he felt hot tears of joy blur his vision. But the Englishman's exquisite torment of his lover had only begun. Jon's sweet caresses continued to drive him half-mad with wanting.

Moving down the Arab's body, Jon pressed his lips to the tender flesh of Ardeth's ankles, licking up his leg, then continued along the back of his knee, pausing to suck on the sensitive skin.

"You taste so good, Ardeth." Jonathan murmured, nuzzling in the curling hair at his lover's groin.

Ardeth was sure that if he could think a little more clearly, he could have come up with a coherent comment, but he found he could barely speak. He contented himself with a low moan. A groaning, needy sound that came from deep in his throat.

Slowly Jonathan spread Ardeth's legs, then lay between them, head dipping down to lick his lover's balls. Ardeth could only lean into the touch as he lost the ability to think at all. Jonathan's clever mouth moved up to Ardeth's cock, taking it deep into his throat, sucking strongly.

Ardeth cried out, back arching, heart slamming against the sides of his chest. The absolute searing bliss destroyed what was left of his control and he came in his lover's mouth.

Gently Jonathan held him as Ardeth recovered, whimpering slightly as the Earth shifted beneath him and the Medjai felt himself free-fall into the chasm.

Finally dark eyes opened to gaze up at him in wonder. "It is always as good as the first time we laid together." Ardeth whispered, reaching up to almost reverently stroke the other man's face. "I love you."

"As I love you."

Jonathan stood and quickly stripped, pulling a small vial of oil from his pocket as he knelt beside Ardeth again.

The Medjai caught his breath at the sight of his lover's nakedness.

Even as dizzy with arousal as he was, he could not help but appreciate the contrasting beauty of the pale flesh, firmly muscled chest and thick cock jutting out from its nest of curls.

Carnahan grinned, palm smoothing along the man's hip as he urged him onto his stomach.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, but as you can see...." He nodded to his own erection, almost painfully hard now after witnessing the effect he had on his beautiful lover.

"Yes, I see." Ardeth swallowed hard, but rolled over, spreading his legs at the other man's urging.

Ardeth felt his body tense and he didn't understand. Jonathan's very touch excited him, melted him, but suddenly his whole body went rigid.

Jonathan noticed his lover's reticence and frowned slightly. Ardeth never balked at anal sex... not in years... why now?"

"Are you all right, my love?" He asked softly, leaning down to lick at the small of the man's back.

"Yes, I'm fine." Ardeth assured him, face resting on his folded hands. But his breath came in heavy pants as he bit his lip, trying to control this strange reaction.

Jonathan massaged his back and shoulders, feeling the tension in the muscles, despite the orgasm Ardeth had just experienced. Something was wrong.

"Ardeth..." he murmured, tongue laving the darker skin. "Tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing is wrong. I want you." The other man insisted. "I want you inside me. I want to pleasure you, my heart."

"If you're sure?"

Ardeth nodded and Jonathan ignored the nagging thought that Ardeth was afraid. Ignored it because his own passion was making him shiver with need.

Jon nipped his lover's ass cheeks, then parted them. Ardeth shivered, anticipation spiking through him. It had been several months since he'd embraced his lover like this and the very thought of Jonathan buried deep inside him, thrilled him beyond measure. And yet there was a conflicting push to roll over and stop what was about to happen. Bay felt his shaft hardening again, even as he felt the first finger enter him and the burning it brought.

There was no one he trusted more than Jon, not even O'Connell in matters of the heart and body; no one he'd give himself to more readily. No one he'd give himself to at all, now. Never again anyone else. And yet -

He tensed as Jonathan added another finger.

Then as the tip of Jonathan's finger made contact with that most intimate part of him, Ardeth's already hard cock tightened further, and his heart began to beat furiously even as panic filled him. An old fear, they had worked through it slowly and with great care when they'd first become lovers and Jonathan had discovered that the Arab had once been raped as a young man... severely hurt and mentally scarred. But the Englishman's tenderness and loving skill has overcome Ardeth's fear.

Bay knew that this was something else. He groaned as another finger entered him, thrusting gently.

"It's been too long." Jonathan murmured, bending to nip tender skin.

"Yes." Ardeth gasped, head coming up as Jonathan brushed his prostate again. "I do want you , my love. It is just..."

"I know." Jonathan said softly, leaning down to nuzzle the dark hair against Ardeth's neck. "Just relax and know that I would never willingly hurt you."

"I do." Bay murmured, eyes closing as the burning gave way to the familiar pleasure.

Jonathan eased him onto his back, spreading his legs wide, then moved between them. His hips on Jon's thighs, while slick fingers moved inside him curving until fire rocketed along every nerve in his body. As the pleasure built again Ardeth was back on the precipice, his fear fading.

And then finally Jon's hard cock was sliding into him, filling him, completing him creating an ache so profound everything else paled in comparison and disappeared. Jon's hands stroked him in time with the thrusts, sweet scented oil filling the air. Fire spread along his extremities until Ardeth was sure he could no longer stand the pain or the joy of it.

Each moment stretched out infinitely, pulling as much pleasure from him as he could possibly feel and then more. The world shattered into a thousand pieces of crystal and Ardeth screamed his lover's name so loudly that he was sure the whole desert could hear him. Through the fog of his spent passion, Ardeth heard Jonathan call out his name as they both sank down into the bliss of the moment.

Sometime much later, Ardeth came back to himself, trying to catch his breath. Jon was stretched over him in a heap, sweating and sated.

Jonathan slid off to lay beside him, throwing an arm over Ardeth's chest and pressing a kiss to the side of his face.

"Are you going to tell me what was wrong, now?" He asked quietly, tracing light patterns on Ardeth's chest with fingers that shook slightly. "You almost didn't let me do that." Jonathan swallowed hard and forced himself to meet his lover's eyes. "Is it the same thing? Old memories?"

"No." Ardeth pulled his mate closer, burying his nose in Jonathan's damp hair for a long moment. "Nothing is wrong. You're here with me and that is what makes my life complete."

"Something was wrong. I could feel the tension in you." Carnahan insisted, sitting up, a hand still resting on the Medjai's chest. "Are you going to tell me what it is? Or am I going to wonder if every time I make love to you that it might be the time you refuse me?"

Something like terror leapt into the dark eyes for an instant, then flicked out, leaving only confusion. "I could never refuse you." Ardeth assured him softly. "Not when I want you so."

"Then what?" Jonathan persisted.

"I cannot explain what I don't understand myself." Bay told him. "Perhaps being here, in the desert after fighting for my right to lead the tribes..." he trailed of, uncertain of where his thoughts were leading to. "I can't explain it."

Jonathan smiled a little sadly. "Well, when you figure it out, let me know. I really don't want to go through the rest of my life being afraid to touch you, Ardeth."

With a small sigh he rose and wet a cloth to wash them both, then lay down with his back to his lover and quickly fell into an exhausted sleep.

Sleep didn't come as easily to Ardeth Bay. He lay awake well into the night, trying to analyze his feelings and figure out his reaction to Jonathan's advance. Finally he drifted off into a troubled sleep, the absence of his love's embrace leaving him chilled.


END PART 5