I Only wanted you to Love me.

by leenys

fandom: Monkees

Rated R for subject matter.

Insert your favorite Monkee.

 

I Only wanted you to Love me.

by leenys

The roses were crushed in her hand. The thorns dug into her fingers, spilling ruby drops of blood one by one onto the sidewalk. She just stared at the flowers, and the note with it.

"I'm sorry, I never should have let things go this far. You are a wonderful person, but I'm happily married, I deeply love my wife. I'm sure you'll find someone who will make you as happy as you deserve to be, you need someone who can hold you and comfort you and be yours alone. I'm not that person. But I will always be here for you, should you need me."

Need? Did he even understand the meaning of the word? He had money, fame, and love. What did she have? Torn flowers and a meaningless card dotted with blood.

She clutched the bouquet firmly, digging the thorns deeper into her tender flesh as the pain mounted in her heart. Need. She needed him. Dammit, he made her laugh, he made her feel like she was worth something. He taught her how to live, and now she felt like dying. Some lesson. She soared when she was with him, a butterfly among stone. Faces passed her, voices mumbled, but she didn't care. She gripped the thorns with all her might, her hands now coated crimson.

Damn him anyway! He had no right! Bastard!

Or was it her? Did she push too hard, as usual? Was she so awful that she had to seek the company of a married man to counteract her insecurity? She WAS trash, a whore, someone who really wasn't worth

the time of day and deserved no one. He deserved better than her, he HAD better than her, and here she was, alone, cold, clutching the brown teeth of a flower that not only held promise and hope, but symbolized despair. Nothing so fair as a rose. Nothing so painful.

Ever notice how they deceive you with their intoxicating scent? Their proud stance? The lure of romance, the softness, the tenderness? And then there's those DAMN thorns.

She had written a response on the back of the card, intending with all her heart to deliver it to him, but decided there was no use. And as she stepped out into the street, she never saw the headlights, never heard the squeal of brakes nor the panicked cries of the onlookers.

Her blood covered the asphalt, hiding the minor wounds of her hands, and staining the roses forever. A trickle streamed to the card which lay at her fingers with her response..."I only wanted you to love me."

 

end