Author: Paula Collins

Title: I'm dreaming of a White Christmas

Show: Miami Vice

Pairing: Sonny/Rico

Summary: Sonny has never seen snow

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters; I just use them in my writing. Please don't sue me I'm just a simple person who's imagination won't stop.

Feedback address: bbi_Tommyboy@yahoo.com


I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas
By Paula C.


Sonny Crockett decided to turn on the radio to catch some soothing music to settle his wrangled nerves. Ten minutes ago he had headed out from headquarters for home. He had spent a long tiring day pushing papers, filing dead reports and trying to scare up some new leads.

His partner, Ricardo Tubbs, who sat by him as he cut through traffic in his Black Daytona, saved his sanity in the office.

What came from the radio was not what he was expecting to hear. Blaring from the car radio, the Christmas classic by Bing Crosby
filled the air. "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas, just like the ones I used to know..."

He reached back over and turned the radio with a firm "click" of the knob. Pulling his hand back, he combed it through his disheveled dirty blond hair.

Pulling the lucky strike from his lips he commented to his partner, "Someone needs to tell that programmer this is Miami, not New York."

Rico looked at his partner and reminded him, "Remember, that half of New York is in Miami for the winter. These folks need a little reminder on why they left the Big City, to find the warmer climates for their aching bones."

Sonny shook his head to his friend's explanation. "Well they can go take their frosty snow songs and take them back to New York, or any other cold place there is. Let Miami be Miami, the warm spot of the states."

Rico had never known Sonny to be a basher about the tourists that made up half of Miami. "Remember who pays the bills in this town Sonny, the tourists."

Shifting the car as they made it to the freeway, Sonny opened the car up, pulling away from the traffic.

"Well it's the songs, they all talk about snow, and the feeling of cold and such. I've never seen it, snow," Sonny admitted to Rico. "The idea of something cold and frozen falling is a foreign concept to me."

Rico was shocked, "No snow? Come on, you should of seen it sometime in your life?"

"Nope, when on vacation up north, it's always been in the summer. And `Nam, well that's tropical there. No snow."

Sonny continued driving through traffic, heading to the home that they shared. After their own individual loves that they had found and then lost, they had turned to each other. Who better to draw strength from than your partner, the one you trust your back to in a dangerous situation.

Now they gave each other the support that no one else understood what was going on deep beneath their skin, what they were feeling, what they were thinking.

Since Sonny had brought up the subject about the upcoming holiday, Rico asked, "Got any ideas for the holidays?"

"Been to busy to really think about it. You know what they say, all work and no play."

Rico chuckled to Sonny's comment about no play. "I don't know about that man, you do know how to play. It may be that your best play is in bed."

"You, keep talking like that, we might not get dinner like we planned." Sonny tried to sound menacing but his crooked smile gave it no backing.

Rico smiled his own smile. "We can always have dinner . later."

Sonny shifted the car to fourth gear and took off for home.

** ** **

It wasn't easy but somehow Rico found it; snow, well the Florida version of snow. He found a company that could do up some manufactured snow. To get them to do it on Christmas morning took some extra dollars but it was worth it.

** ** **

Being that some of the members of Vice wanted to see family out of town, the others took turns manning the office, doing filing, case work ups and working on potential leads. For those who stayed they would be in the office for a shift. Sonny drew Christmas morning. Little did Sonny know Rico had set up just that occurrence.

Rising early to a nice morning wake up, complete with morning sex, Sonny left for the office at seven to put in his six hours. Rico had done his time the day before, leaving Sonny to play catch up on his Christmas buying alone.

The crew from the artificial snow factory arrived at two p.m. and started their work. They made a pile in the front yard and dusted the front of the house.

The children that lived next door were awe struck by what Rico was doing. Kids from around the neighborhood started to ask if they could touch it and soon a large number of snowballs were being thrown at anything that moved.

Soon Sonny was pulling up to the mayhem that was happening in front of his house. Getting out of his car, he was hit in the shoulder by a snowball.

Pulling off his sunglasses, Sonny found Rico in the midst of the chaos. "Rico? What is this?" He started brushing off crystal ice off his t-shirt. He had dressed casual for the shift, of worn jeans and Dolphins t-shirt.

"Come on Sonny, do I really have to tell ya?" Rico asked, laughing.

"Well it's cold and wet." Sonny analyzed as he dug his hand into the ground and started making a ball. "And it conforms to make a ball." He took both hands and started compressing it. "I guess it's .." He drew back his arm like in his football days and threw it at Rico, "A snowball," he finished.

Sonny got Rico square in the stomach. Rico laughed as he tried to make a ball to throw back at Sonny. With joy, he did a small ball and threw it at his friend only to see it fall apart before getting to him.

The pair continued to throw snowballs at each other, till Sonny playfully pushed his partner backwards into the snow pile. Since he was down in the snow he decided to add a snow angel to the landscape. Spreading his arms and legs out, he moved his arms back and forth, moving the crystal ice.

"What are you doing?" Sonny asked at the weird movement Rico was making.

"A snow angel." Rico replied. "Hey give me a hand will ya?" He raised his hand to have Sonny pull him up.

When Sonny clasped his hand however, he was pulled down on top of Rico. "Merry Christmas partner." Rico smiled up at his friend and lover.

"Merry Christmas Rico. This is the best surprise I've ever had. Snow in Florida."

"If I could move heaven and earth to have you happy, you know I would do it for you," Rico replied.

"You've done that more than once." Sonny lowered his head and kissed his lover, friend and partner.


END