Title: The White Rabbit

Author/pseudonym: CharlieMC

Fandom: "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

E-mail address: camelotslash@uswest.net

Rating: G

Status: Answering the Easter challenge!

Date: 6 April, 2000

Archive: Yes

Series: No

Category: SLASH

Disclaimer: Don't own them and mean no infringement or disrespect

Summary: What's Easter with a furry bunny?

Warnings: First time (But with these guys it never really seems that way!)

Appreciate feedback -- my time's pretty limited these days, and that's how I determine which of many fandoms I love to actually write for...



THE WHITE RABBIT
By CharlieMC


Napoleon Solo stared into the shop window, feeling somewhat nostalgic. Last year he’d bought the identical stuffed rabbit (think bunny, he reminded himself, smiling -- as in Easter Bunny) for his then current girlfriend. Of course, he couldn’t remember her name now. In fact, he could barely remember what she *looked* like! Strange how fleeting these relationships were over the long haul...

Impulsively, Solo went inside and purchased the fluffy, white animal. It was quite large, and he knew he’d feel some of the same embarrassment he’d felt the first time around, walking down the street carrying the creature. Still, one didn’t build character by avoiding embarrassing situations! Grinning at passers-by and drivers alike, he walked bearing home the bunny...

Once he reached his apartment, Solo dropped the animal in a convenient chair. He was now running just a bit late, and needed to change out of his suit and into something more casual for his dinner date. Moving about quickly, he stripped and redressed in casual slacks, a polo shirt and sports jacket. He’d be overdressed compared to his companion, but this was really as ‘casual’ as Solo was comfortable with...

He glanced over at the rabbit, which was lying cockeyed, with one ear sticking up quite winningly. It was really a cute thing. Thinking for a moment he grabbed it up, and switching off the light he closed the door behind him, locking it carefully.

=====

It was just like Napoleon to be late like this! Illya Kuryakin checked his watch for the tenth time, feeling more than a little annoyed. /”I’ll bet he doesn’t make those females of his wait for him,”/ he thought, frowning.

Suddenly Solo was there at the corner table Kuryakin had selected, his expression not one bit remorseful.

/”Leave it to Illya to find the darkest, tiniest corner table in the restaurant,”/ Solo thought, grinning. He couldn’t find it in himself to be annoyed -- it was just too much the nature of the man. And all in all he liked Illya just the way he was -- no matter how bothersome he could be now and then...

Solo lifted the white rabbit from his side and plopped it down on the table directly in front of Kuryakin. “Here,” he said, laughter just barely warming his tone, “Happy Easter!”

Kuryakin stared, suddenly at a loss for words. His mind was racing, in spite of his stunned silence and shocked expression...

/”I don’t celebrate Easter!” “But what difference does *that* make?” “He bought me -- *me* -- a present!” “He’s really so charming sometimes -- maybe too charming for his own good. And for *my* own good!”/

Solo grinned and moved to sit in the empty chair, picking up the wine menu as he did so. There was no point in waiting for a response from his partner. He’d be standing and waiting all day... The man really was without any social skills at all! He’d have at least managed a grim ‘thanks’ by now, had it been him...

“Wine with dinner?” Solo asked, studying the list.

“Wine?”

“You know, it comes in a bottle and you drink it with your food... Come on, Illya! Even you drink wine...”

Kuryakin stopped staring at the white rabbit /”Alice in Wonderland” -- he could beat that! -- it was Kuryakin in wonderland now.../ and forced himself to glance over at Solo.

“Yes. Actually, the house wine here is very good, and quite reasonable.” His tone was neutral, but his heart was pounding so hard he could feel every beat. It was hard to say why it had touched him so to be given a stuffed toy, but there was no point in denying the fact -- at least, not to himself!

Solo tossed down the wine list, and gave a contented sigh. “House wine it is, then. Didn’t think you’d know that about the place...”

“Actually, I eat here quite often. This table is always quiet, and I can relax here, and enjoy a rather good meal.”

Solo nodded. “Sure. I like to do that myself, from time to time.”

“But not alone.” It wasn’t a question, but a quiet statement of fact.

“No. Not alone. I’m really not much for dining alone...”

Solo flashed another of his 100 watt smiles, and Kuryakin felt as if the glare was blinding him. He knew Solo couldn’t help himself -- it wasn’t even practiced seduction anymore. Just second nature. /But does he have to turn on his dating charm with me?/ Kuryakin thought, feeling annoyed. His heart was still thudding hard in his chest, and now he realized his breathing was also being affected. This was ridiculous! He had far more control over himself than this...

A waiter approached and asked for their order. Solo turned to Kuryakin, waiting for him to reply.

“The house salad, please. With plenty of cucumbers. I’ll have the oil and vinegar dressing, but I want it on the side so I can pour it myself. And coffee -- very strong, with sugar,” His voice was trembling just the tiniest bit, and he bit his lip as he turned from the waiter and caught Solo staring at him. He could only hope that he hadn’t given away his emotions...

Solo ordered, and they talked ‘shop’ while waiting for their dinner to arrive. Kuryakin strived to keep his normal tone, and Solo chatted away as usual. They were more quiet than usual as they ate, and several times Kuryakin felt as if Solo were scrutinizing him. Each time Solo’s gaze seemed more intent than normal, he would suddenly smile and appear to relax even more. /”I’m paranoid,”/ Kuryakin decided. *I* know I’m feeling something, but he has no idea...

After dinner, Kuryakin took the check and quickly divided out the charge for each man, plus tip. He took Solo’s money, and moved away to the register to pay, giving a swift, but warm glance at the bunny...

Solo sat and pondered his partner’s behavior. He’d tried to make a careful point of ignoring Illya’s obviously strong emotions, and felt he’d managed rather well. But now that he had a moment to himself, he reflected circumspectly over what these feelings -- that Kuryakin was so blatantly trying to disguise -- were actually signaling...

Solo was no idiot, though he sometimes made it appear as if he was incapable of deep thought. He could see that his gift -- which he’d meant half as a joke -- had nearly moved the other man to some outburst of emotion. And as Kuryakin rarely showed any kind of emotion at all, this was saying something... Why, Illya had actually blushed at one point! Though the light in the room was dimmed, it had been unmistakable with Kuryakin’s pale features...

Kuryakin returned, and cleared his throat. “This was nice. We should do it again sometime.” His tone was a farewell and dismissal all at once, and he was turning on his heel before Solo could either rise or answer him. Then he stopped cold, and Solo waited, response unvoiced as Kuryakin slowly turned and came back to the table.

Kuryakin’s gaze was not fixed on him, Solo realized, but on the fuzzy animal Kuryakin had sat in a chair next his own... /”He forgot it! He can’t bring himself to leave without the damn thing!”/

Illya reached out and carefully picked up the bunny with one hand, reaching his second hand to stroke the soft fur. His eyes turned and locked with Solo’s, and his normal, calm demeanor fell away, revealing naked desire so strong that Solo found his own heart racing...

It was Solo’s turn to clear his throat. “Umm... what do you say about going back to my place for an after dinner drink?” He dropped his eyes for a moment to allow his head to clear. There was an actual buzzing in his ears...

Kuryakin waited for Solo’s gaze to return to his before answering. “If... if that’s what you’d like. Of course. Of course we can...”

Solo nodded and moved toward the door, knowing without looking back that Illya would be close by his side. As he always was. No matter what danger faced them...

=====

They reached Solo’s apartment and went inside, Kuryakin still cradling the gift in his arms. Now it was a lifeline he could hold -- and Solo could see it was also armor against whatever ‘attack’ he felt Solo might make. /”Bet he’d like me to make an actual ‘attack’ on his person,”/ Solo thought, grinning inwardly...

“How about that drink?” he asked, keeping his outward expression neutral.

“Yes.”

“Let me guess. Vodka?”

“What?” Kuryakin had been looking down at the bunny and now lifted misty eyes.

Solo suddenly couldn’t stand another minute of these games. He moved over to Kuryakin, and pulled the toy from his arms, tossing it aside. Kuryakin voiced a wordless sound of protest, grabbing the air as he tried to retrieve his treasure. Solo grasped the smaller man’s arms firmly with both hands, and caught Kuryakin’s mouth under his, kissing him firmly.

Kuryakin gasped his surprise into Solo’s mouth before returning the kiss with pressing passion. Their mouths locked, and their bodies began to grind insistently together, hands tearing over the fabric of one another’s clothing. Solo’s tongue entered Kuryakin, and the blonde man’s eyes closed while he shuddered with pleasure...

Solo suddenly realized that this was just as easy as making love to a woman. Then he shook himself mentally. Did he really *want* this to be as easy as his past relationships? And, frankly, just how easy had they *really* been? Had a single one of those relationships ever lasted beyond a mere affair?

Kuryakin’s body pressed against Solo insistently, his teeth biting down softly on Solo’s tongue. Solo forgot his errant ponderings and returned more vigorously to the task at hand. He pulled his tongue back, and lapped at Kuryakin’s soft lips, a purring sound accompanying his actions. His hands became more careful, as he forced himself to be calmer and to take advantage of this amazing opportunity...

Kuryakin’s head was spinning, and his thoughts were a jumble. He had attempted all evening to disguise his feelings, though he had never been able to hide the truth from himself as the years passed. He was in love with his partner, and no amount of reasoning or logic could change this emotion.

Now he was being held by the man he desired -- and more than that! -- being made love to! Negative thoughts were lingering just below the surface of his joy, but he pushed them back. To hell with it! Maybe this wasn’t what he was hoping for, but whatever it was, he was going to enjoy it while it lasted...

Suddenly Solo pulled back, dislodging Kuryakin’s arms. “Let’s talk for a minute. I realize it’s ‘hard’” -- his glance went pointedly to Illya’s groin -- “but let’s try...”

Kuryakin could only manage a mute nod. Solo took his arm and guided him to the plush sofa, pressing him to sit beside him.

“I don’t want to blow this, Illya.”

Kuryakin stared, silently.

Solo tried again. “This is different than all the women I’ve been with.” This brought a smile to Kuryakin’s face, and Solo smiled back at him. “*You* are different. You are my partner, my best friend... I guess what I’m trying to say is...”

“Shhh... I *know* what you’re trying to say. Sometimes you don’t need to say anything.”

They were quiet, then, gazing into each other’s eyes, reading shared emotion. Kuryakin reached out a hand, and Solo took it in his own.

“I should give you something as nice as my... rabbit?”

“Easter Bunny.”

“Yes. *Easter Bunny*.”

Solo grinned boyishly. “How about some chocolate Easter eggs? Or maybe you could just dip something tasty in chocolate for me to lick...” His eyes gleamed wickedly.

Kuryakin couldn’t help himself. He burst out laughing at the thought of what the *something* might be. Solo just grinned and stared...

“I think I’m going to learn to celebrate Easter after all,” Kuryakin said in his normal, soft tone.

“Hmm. Good idea...”



the end